Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020795 times)

surfhb

Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #850 on: May 16, 2014, 10:32:40 PM »
I built this AC since its been 100 degree F in Huntington Beach, Ca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #851 on: May 17, 2014, 01:52:15 PM »
I make pizza dough in my bed machine using the recipe in the book & it turns out really yummy!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #852 on: May 17, 2014, 05:35:34 PM »
Craving ice cream like nobody's business, but instead of driving to town spending the gas (and the calories), I pulled some frozen bananas out of the freezer, threw in a decadent amount of cocoa,whirred and  enjoyed. It was great.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #853 on: May 17, 2014, 06:18:09 PM »
I bought 6.5kg of chopped potatoes/carrots.

Because they were reduced to clear, and there was only 6.5kg available.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #854 on: May 18, 2014, 09:26:38 AM »
Pressure canned 13 quarts and 18 pints of homemade chili. Homebrew Husband has easy lunches for work for awhile.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #855 on: May 18, 2014, 09:35:44 AM »
Participated in BountifulBaskets.org distribution, and got to know some of our cheapskate neighbors a little better.

For those of you who don't know, its a grocerty distribution (not local but cheap!) and basically you by a "share" for $15 for and whatever is on the truck gets split by the total number of shares purchased (with limits of course so that it is still economical.  There are some very yummy and reasonable upgrades available too.  For youngun's working on building up volunteerism hours, its usually an hour on Saturday morning...easy peasy!  And when you volunteer, you get first crack at the leftover food once the shares have been divided...score!

Using this service twice a month (and a little more diligence) seems to have reduced our grocery bill by 25% aka $200 little soldiers headed over to pay of my Student Loan!  Absolutely amazing!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #856 on: May 18, 2014, 02:51:21 PM »
Desperately wanted to go to McDonald's for lunch with the family after an outing this morning, but came home and made pancakes instead ... SCORE!

Begonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #857 on: May 18, 2014, 07:01:29 PM »
Washed hair with baking soda. Was on a roll of doing that for several months a few years back and I liked the results. Then got some fancy highlights and thought it would mess with the color, so I  stopped. For Mustachian reasons I'm back to my natural color and thought I'd try it again. It can take a couple of weeks for hair to get used to it, but then it's easy, cheap, and very satisfying to put that shampoo money to better use.

If you're interested in learning more about the no 'poo approach, read here: http://www.crunchybetty.com/no-poo-to-you-too

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #858 on: May 18, 2014, 07:42:40 PM »
Got my cooler all ready to go with my food for the week while I'm out of town for work.  Aiming to go out no more than twice this week, as needed for work socializing.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #859 on: May 19, 2014, 12:33:42 AM »
10km walking loop to go to the post office, pay my car rego and pick up some library books I had on hold. Bought a coffee with change I found in the back shed of the house we just bought. Score! :)

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #860 on: May 19, 2014, 05:30:59 AM »
Going strawberry picking with my spouse, daughter, and a friend and planning on picking 15 lbs of fruit for our family.   My friend will be picking more.

Fun family/friend activity just for the cost of the berries, which my friend and I will spend the next day making into low sugar jam.    Spouse and daughter go through a ton of natural jam (which is not cheap).   So 15 lbs should give us a few lbs to eat and freeze, while leaving enough to make about 12 16 Oz jars of jam, which should last us about a year.   

If this works well, we might go in blueberry season too.   We'll freeze a lot of those (blueberry smoothies and frozen blueberries on oatmeal are my favorite), but we'll probably make some jam from those too.   Extra homemade jam makes a great gift (to bring to parties, etc).   

We also have about an acre of our own black raspberries, which we'll be picking when ripe for eating, freezing for smoothies, and making into cobblers.

Bring on the berries!

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #861 on: May 19, 2014, 05:51:40 AM »
Cooked a big pot of starter-mix (mince, vegetables, sauce etc) to make soup and chilli with. And agreed to buy a second-hand electric bicycle AND called the manufacturer ahead of time to get an idea of what to look for, replacement battery costs, value etc (I can certainly recommend the Australian Electric Bicycle Company for customer service) which let me confidently offer $300 less than the asking price.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #862 on: May 19, 2014, 08:18:54 AM »
Although it did not happen today, we got free mulch! I was going to buy some and then noticed my town is giving mulch away. This saved me about $30-50.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #863 on: May 19, 2014, 08:42:28 AM »
Diagnosed a bad PCV valve in my car today.  I'm going to replace it today for $5 and 10 minutes of time.  Should avoid my engine blowing an oil leak later, and be overall better for power and efficiency.  Saves me the time to fix oil leaks later, and doing it myself will save me probably more than it should.  I hope a shop wouldn't bill an hour of labor for a 10 minute job, but they probably would.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #864 on: May 19, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
I ate leftover ramen for breakfast. Double whammy! With homemade baked spring rolls from the freezer ^__^

Oh, and I put bean sprouts I got from my neighbor in the ramen last night. He couldn't finish his CSA produce before it went bad due to being gone almost all week, so I got 1/4 a cabbage, a bag of bean sprouts, and a cucumber. He tried to give me a bag of ginger and some water parsley, but I showed him he could 1) grate the ginger, freeze it in ice cubes, and use them in cooking straight from the freezer, and 2) regrow the water parsley in cups of water. So I saved him money too. A little. He wouldn't take the bean sprouts back after I revealed they could be blanched and frozen (exactly what I did).

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #865 on: May 19, 2014, 08:23:26 PM »
Brought one of several single-serving homemade soups I had stockpiled in the freezer for work.
Did some pretty smart grocery Tetris and saved a lot when I went grocery shopping today.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #866 on: May 19, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »
We needed a 'new' chair since the one we had in the living room was very uncomfortable.  My husband found a really good one on Craigslist and went out and got it today - at least $1,000 savings from the retail price.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #867 on: May 19, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »
but I showed him he could 1) grate the ginger, freeze it in ice cubes, and use them in cooking straight from the freezer,
I just toss my ginger right into the freezer when it comes home whole. Then grate from frozen as needed. It is super easy to grate and you get exactly what you want. I have done the same thing the one time I managed to find some fresh galangal, been working on the same stach for three years and tastes totally fresh.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #868 on: May 19, 2014, 09:17:59 PM »
I just toss my ginger right into the freezer when it comes home whole. Then grate from frozen as needed. It is super easy to grate and you get exactly what you want.

Great idea, swick! One quick question: do you peel off the outer peel first (or whatever it is! haha)?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:25:42 PM by swick »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #869 on: May 19, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »
I just give them a rinse and a dry before. when you grate it from frozen a little bit of skin doesn't matter at all. If you wanted to you could rub a spoon over the surface to easily rub off the skin.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #870 on: May 19, 2014, 10:08:21 PM »
Not sure how much this counts buuuut I had a pre-MMM J Crew credit card (yep) and while the balance is gone I still got a $25 rewards card in the mail recently. Used it to buy new shorts for $23.99 on sale today (got $1.01 in change back!), which I really wanted before going on vacation to Spain this Friday since my only other pair was a size too big. Of course let's not talk about the interest I previously paid on all the unneeded clothes I bought in the past...but I did need new shorts and got them without spending any money!

Also went to a free reading tonight (with a free short story booklet and a free glass of wine) where I ran into old colleagues unexpectedly. Ate my frozen Tj's lunch for dinner before heading up there.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #871 on: May 20, 2014, 06:05:52 AM »
I just toss my ginger right into the freezer when it comes home whole. Then grate from frozen as needed. It is super easy to grate and you get exactly what you want.

Great idea, swick! One quick question: do you peel off the outer peel first (or whatever it is! haha)?
A Japanese friend taught me something similar. I peel it lightly and then cut the whole thing into inch pieces,  put them in a baggie in the freezer. Works great.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #872 on: May 20, 2014, 07:55:58 AM »

A Japanese friend taught me something similar. I peel it lightly and then cut the whole thing into inch pieces,  put them in a baggie in the freezer. Works great.

This is a great idea! Thanks for teaching me something new.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #873 on: May 20, 2014, 08:04:23 AM »
Craving ice cream like nobody's business, but instead of driving to town spending the gas (and the calories), I pulled some frozen bananas out of the freezer, threw in a decadent amount of cocoa,whirred and  enjoyed. It was great.

I do this too! We have a bunch of frozen bananas stored for this purpose. It's also good with peanut butter blended in.

What better way to have cheap, vegan (for those who care), ice cream without chemical additives?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #874 on: May 20, 2014, 08:05:55 AM »
I am back to working out at home with a real workout found on YouTube. No gym fee! No video purchase!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #875 on: May 20, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »
Ginger in the freezer does indeed grate very nicely.  Question is - why do people want to peel ginger at all?  I just cut off any dried out/manky bits.  The peel is paper thin and contributes no adverse flavours or textures. 

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #876 on: May 20, 2014, 08:28:02 AM »
Thanks to the Superguide, I got the courage up to switch from my T-Mobile prepaid minutes plan to PlatinumTel's plan.  Same service coverage, less than half the price.  I was using about $15/month for minutes and text, I'm hoping to cut that in half or better.  Porting was a breeze.

Also, while it is not our only method of payment (we used the Discover card whenever possible), we use PNC as our main checking account and since I usually handle most bills and payments every two weeks on payday, sometimes in the time between then, I log in and get this message.

Weekly Spending Overview of May 14 - May 20

You haven't spent anything this week.

It always depends on my mood how I read that sentence, sometimes I think the bank is being sarcastic with me, sometimes it is shocked and surprised, other times it is condescending in a "you're doing it wrong" kind of way.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #877 on: May 20, 2014, 08:52:20 AM »
Ginger in the freezer does indeed grate very nicely.  Question is - why do people want to peel ginger at all?  I just cut off any dried out/manky bits.  The peel is paper thin and contributes no adverse flavours or textures.

Totally agree! I just grated some freezer ginger into a teriyaki marinade for some beef jerky. Got an amazing deal on some beef (never happens here!) so made our own roast beef for sandwiches and the rest is going to be jerky.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #878 on: May 20, 2014, 09:01:52 AM »
I needed to get gas for the mower, and the gas station is less than a mile away, so I found the luggage cart and walked down to get the gas.  Didn't save much, but it was sure a nice walk!

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #879 on: May 20, 2014, 09:45:53 AM »

For some "clean" applications in Japanese food (garnish, making ginger pickles, in a clear soup) I do like it peeled, but yeah if you're doing a stirfry or otherwise mixing it all in, not much need to peel it.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #880 on: May 20, 2014, 08:32:06 PM »

I just grate the ginger with the peel after a nice rinse and scrub.

I think my motivation for grating it all at once and freezing in ice cube trays is super convenience. I spend a few minutes working my arm muscles to grate all of it at once, then for months never have to grate ginger again. It really does seem to make cooking with ginger less of a hassle to me :-p

So there's my reasoning! Swick's comment that you can just freeze it whole and grate it easier is totally true, though. If you like grating ginger each time you cook with it.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #881 on: May 21, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »

I just grate the ginger with the peel after a nice rinse and scrub.

I think my motivation for grating it all at once and freezing in ice cube trays is super convenience. I spend a few minutes working my arm muscles to grate all of it at once, then for months never have to grate ginger again. It really does seem to make cooking with ginger less of a hassle to me :-p

So there's my reasoning! Swick's comment that you can just freeze it whole and grate it easier is totally true, though. If you like grating ginger each time you cook with it.

Good reasoning, Nikki :) I tend to cook a lot by feel and taste so I like to have the flexibility to put in just a little or a lot or a little bit more. I may try your suggestion though for things that I know will use a LOT of ginger...like ginger beef.

FYI: you can do the same thing with hot peppers - toss them whole into the freezer and slice or grate off a bit as needed. Makes a huge difference to our meals when we have to travel so far for fresh produce.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #882 on: May 21, 2014, 11:31:41 AM »
Nice peppers on sale at the store + some masa languishing in the back of the pantry + working through a giant bag of frozen Costco chicken before we move next month = Chicken fajitas on homemade corn tortillas.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #883 on: May 21, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »
I am making breakfast food dinner instead of ordering pizza when friends come for dinner tonight, it should be a feast, they are even bringing additions :)

payitoff

« Reply #884 on: May 21, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
took the bus/train to work today, spent $5 instead of filling up the tank again

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #885 on: May 21, 2014, 02:22:56 PM »
Rode my bike to work yesterday and today.
I need a bedside reading lamp, so I posted on the neighbourhood listserv to see if anyone has one lying around for free or cheap (the listserv is very active, so I'm pretty sure I'll get some responses).

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #886 on: May 21, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »
I MADE YOGURT!

At least, I think I did. It looks and smells like yogurt. ;-D

Straining some whey from it in the fridge. I hope it's good! I bought the cheapy ultra-pasteurized milk (most common in Korea by far), which I've read isn't optimal for yogurt-creation. But if this works, oh lordy that's a potential quality of life boost and source of savings!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #887 on: May 21, 2014, 10:11:07 PM »
Told my boyfriend I wasn't visiting this weekend. It's primarily more to save time/regain sanity after 2 weekends traveling/maybe catch up on research (crunch time for a conference). Bus ticket is like $40-45. But this is sad savings. We haven't seen each other a lot in the last month. :(

However, we're moving across country and moving in together in <3 months though, so plenty of time to get sick of each other then! ;)

LiseE

• Stubble
« Reply #888 on: May 22, 2014, 10:30:36 AM »
Watched a youtube video and learned how to cut my boys hair.  At $15 a piece every couple of months or so, that really adds up! 

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #889 on: May 22, 2014, 10:37:23 AM »
Foraged for mulberries along the walk to/from school (dropping off the kids).  I collected a bunch, ate a bunch while picking, and joined the kids at school for their free breakfast (which we all shared).  Picked more on the way home at a different tree.  By the time I got home, I still had 2.4 oz of mulberries left.  At current prices in the store for similar fruits, that's still $1.50 worth, and we probably ate another 5-6 oz throughout the morning.  So I foraged around $5 worth of fruit.  Mrs. Rootofgood also tipped me off to another tree in a less traveled part of the neighborhood.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #890 on: May 22, 2014, 01:28:58 PM »
Going to reuse my Teriyaki marinade from making beef jerky and turn it into a sauce for supper tonight :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #891 on: May 22, 2014, 01:37:20 PM »
Made a crock pot dinner ( Mexican Chicken) and a rice cooker full of rice for the family since I will be out tonite. If I didn't do this, I'm 100% sure that dad would order pizza!

Recipe:

In bottom of crock, place frozen chicken pieces. I had breasts today.
Add 1-2 cans each of drained black beans and corn (or use frozen corn)
Pour over a generous amount of salsa
After a couple of hours, dice up a large block of cream cheese and stir in.

Serve over rice, pasta or in a wrap.
Delish!and a very forgiving recipe.

payitoff

« Reply #892 on: May 22, 2014, 04:29:25 PM »
Took the bus again today! woot woot!

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #893 on: May 25, 2014, 10:49:58 AM »
Finally decided Netflix wasn't worth it. Quit.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #894 on: May 25, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »
Returned a bunch of materials to the library ON TIME!

Also, kids took out more books and videos. Love that we are known as heavy users at our library. Seven year old went up to the information desk to find out when the summer reading club begins. So cute!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #895 on: May 25, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »
Not really by choice, but I THOUGHT I had the guy who is mowing over at our ex-rental lined up to get the sprinkler system fixed and running.  Real estate agent texted today and said the grass looked dry and a couple sprinkler heads were out of the ground... just as I'd left it last weekend after going over and realizing the PREVIOUS sprinkler guy hadn't sent us a bill because he'd never been there.  So I dropped everything, drove over there and spent most of the afternoon cussing and making trips to Home Depot, but at least now the lawn won't die completely.  Damn' I wish someone would buy that house already.

I also noticed that the dandelion stems from last weekend were still standing, so lawn mower dude might be getting fired in the near future.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #896 on: May 26, 2014, 03:16:57 PM »
We went to the store today. I always look at the price tag before buying something. We get to the register.. and the girl tells me the total. Immediately I correct her. The total was listed for $10 less.

Even though I didn't save money because I was buying something, I still managed to save a little bit of money that would have easily gone overlooked by others.

Mind you.... this isn't the first time I've had to had a cashier correct the total (this is probably the 3rd time in the last year). It pays to pay attention.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #897 on: May 26, 2014, 03:30:49 PM »
I did NOT buy ice cream and ice cream toppings. Even though I wanted to.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #898 on: May 27, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »
Well, it was yesterday but it still counts. We did not go out to dinner last night, instead I came home and cooked burgers and sweet potato fries (the same thing we would have had at the restaurant). I am proud that my thinking is switching, I chose what felt good fiscally and didn't buy into the "treat yourself mentality." Plus the kids were starving and it was great to have dinner on the table, rather than wait at a restaurant.

Congrats Latwell: I was behind someone at the grocery store who bought three things, paid the $27 and then asked what was so expensive. It was the $20 bottle of almond butter! Rather than return it, she kept it. I really wanted to say, you could buy so many fresh organic almonds and make your own. Definitely a WTF moment, I would have not kept it.

edited to clarify
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:01:52 PM by Hadilly »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #899 on: May 27, 2014, 08:48:21 PM »
Paid attention yesterday:  my son's shoes rang up $20 more than listed.

Made homemade pizza tonight and finished the fine meal with a skillet chocolate chip cookie "pizza" a la mode compliments of the mini-zamboni wishing to create it.