Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2018239 times)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8450 on: February 11, 2017, 07:02:04 AM »
Complained to Walmart their 2 day shipping was taking 4 days.

It's free shipping, so they can't refund it- but they gave me 10% back on my order.

That's nice.

Bah- lost my $9 discount.

The order (the car seat part of a car seat/stroller combo) came to me damaged such that I couldn't use it.
Of course, getting a new one wasn't going to happen as it is now out of stock.

But- I spent a bit more than an hour on the phone, and got escalated 4 times insisting they price adjust a different color of the EXACT SAME THING to honor the sale. (If they had shipped it on time, they could have exchanged it before it was out of stock!).  So I got a $55 price adjustment on one that looks nearly, but not quite identical.

If that one comes damaged I'm giving up and buying something more expensive from Amazon or Target.  But I really wanted cheap on this so if the airlines ruin it I'm not too upset, because airlines exclude carseats and strollers from their liability.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #8451 on: February 11, 2017, 09:31:10 AM »
I've been trying to get my husband to let me cut his hair forever (not to save money; I just think it would be fun). He doesn't trust me with scissors. :/

Now I'm thinking I might be able to get him to cut MY hair. I'm due for a simple cut, and I can do the layers in front myself (I've done that before), but I can't cut my hair straight in back. I'll have to ask him. Worst case scenario, I get it fixed by a professional and I'm out no more than I would have been anyway. My hair grows super fast, so if it's unfixable, I'd live.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #8452 on: February 11, 2017, 10:47:17 AM »

Tl;dr : got 4 pairs of hard to find jeans for $50!!

So they just added stuff to your order and expected you to buy it?  Or was it a mistake?

I'm inclined to think it was a mistake. I could have easily not paid for them and I don't think anyone would have been wiser. They weren't listed on the packing slip...

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8453 on: February 11, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »

So they just added stuff to your order and expected you to buy it?  Or was it a mistake?

I'm inclined to think it was a mistake. I could have easily not paid for them and I don't think anyone would have been wiser. They weren't listed on the packing slip...

Weird. Hope karma rewards your honesty.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #8454 on: February 11, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »

Weird. Hope karma rewards your honesty.

$4 jeans and a clear conscience.... I think it already did!!  :-)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8455 on: February 11, 2017, 01:05:18 PM »
We've needed new pillows for awhile. Went to JCPenny with $10 off $10 coupons found ones that seemed comfy marked down for the home sale from $40 (yeah right) to $10.99.

Husband and I checked out separately each pillow was less than $2.

Also went to BBW and used a coupon to claim a free mini lotion (a ridiculous $6). Didn't buy anything.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #8456 on: February 11, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »
My down comforter doesn't fit in my cover so I cut a strip of the down comforter & closed the openings by sawing first , so now fits very well and the remainder down strip I rolled it into a pillow :)

And scored at thrift store: bought lagostina skillets  for 12.99

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #8457 on: February 11, 2017, 05:09:15 PM »
Enjoyed some home brewed whiskey gifted from a friend. Soo good, and tastes even better free. XS particularly enjoys it.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #8458 on: February 11, 2017, 08:14:21 PM »
Me and a friend planned to meet up last night. We were originally going to go for a curry which would probably have ended up including 2 or 3 beers as well. Estimated cost 300rmb + each (eating out at Western places isn't particularly cheap in Shanghai!)

Instead I suggested we make something at home. He is frugally inclined so we made chicken fajitas, with guacamole, tomato salsa and the fajita mix all homemade. It was delicious! Total cost for both of us, including a few beers each and free entertainment on the xBox was about 80rmb vs the 600rmb it would've cost us eating out. Score!
British guy in Shanghai.My Shanghai Journal

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8459 on: February 11, 2017, 09:07:12 PM »
Just put a kilo of chicken for enchiladas in the slow cooker.

NV Teacher

• Bristles
« Reply #8460 on: February 12, 2017, 01:08:31 PM »
Had to go to a training on Saturday so I packed a lunch and snack so I wouldn't have to go out to eat.  Once I get the mileage reimbursement I'll be ahead by about $50 for the day.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8461 on: February 12, 2017, 01:29:22 PM »
Did coffee hour for the church today, and they were going to throw out partially used butter, mustard, and soda.  I took them. I also packaged up the coffee hour leftovers and gave them out to various people so they wouldn't go to waste.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8462 on: February 12, 2017, 01:56:34 PM »
We visited our cabin in "the mountains", during a yearly event. Went to visit the nearest town without spending a norwegian crown. Brought along our own food and drink during a ski trip. Also locally during the event we spent nothing at the townhouse where I during earlier years have bought an overly expensive waffle. We also didn't eat pizza on our way home, as we often do. So only transport cost and normal grocery money was spent this weekend.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:54:30 AM by Linda_Norway »

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #8463 on: February 13, 2017, 12:35:46 AM »
My fiancee and I have putting off getting a kitchen table for our new house for a few months. I found a nice looking one that was the size and design we had been looking for on Craigslist. It was listed for $300. I contacted the seller and offered $250 and to pick it up. They initially said they would deliver and drop the price to $275. We agreed but they changed their mind and said they would agree to the first offer due to time constraints. So we picked it up and everything went smooth. The table looks a lot nicer than the card table did in the kitchen. I would say we saved at least $150 by buying used. We also needed curtains for our living room window. My fiancee had a 30% off coupon for Kohl's. We found a two panel pack of curtains in the size and color we wanted for $30. $22ish after the discount. Less money invested if the cat destroys them.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8464 on: February 13, 2017, 03:55:07 AM »
I'm in Massachusetts and we just had another huge snowstorm. Looked out my window and saw icicles under the eaves. The last time that happened it was from ice dams which caused leaking in the kitchen and ended up costing about $1000. Went to Home Depot and got a roof rake and some sodium chloride roof ice melt. Roof raking is much harder than snow shoveling. And it took awhile to gauge how far away to stand to get the roof tabs on the roof. Lucky I didn't break any windows.

No leaks so far but I will have to repeat the process tomorrow when it is supposed to get warmer. This summer - roof repairs that include an anti-ice dam liner.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8465 on: February 13, 2017, 10:12:47 AM »
I was feeling the winter blahs so when I stopped at Home Depot to buy some items for a house repair, I checked out their indoor plant section. They had Christmas decorated evergreens on sale for 75% off, so I ended up buying a mini Norfolk Pine and Blue Cypress for less then $6 total. I brought them home, planted them using dirt/pots I already had and after I undecorated them, they look great and add some "life" to my house. Best part the cat won't eat them. I don't have tons of house plants but they really do make a difference in a room.  Much cheaper then my other usual winter blah methods which used to include eating out, new clothes shopping or even weekend hotel stays.

Happy to report I am still eating out free and while I have bought a few things this year, I'm under $100 spent and pretty much every day this year has been a zero spend day.

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #8466 on: February 13, 2017, 01:00:04 PM »

It's free shipping, so they can't refund it- but they gave me 10% back on my order.

That's nice.

The order (the car seat part of a car seat/stroller combo) came to me damaged such that I couldn't use it.

But- I spent a bit more than an hour on the phone, and got escalated 4 times insisting they price adjust a different color of the EXACT SAME THING to honor the sale. (If they had shipped it on time, they could have exchanged it before it was out of stock!).  So I got a $55 price adjustment on one that looks nearly, but not quite identical.

If that one comes damaged I'm giving up and buying something more expensive from Amazon or Target.  But I really wanted cheap on this so if the airlines ruin it I'm not too upset, because airlines exclude carseats and strollers from their liability.

I don't know if this is airline-specific, but our car seat was damaged (unusable) during a flight and the airline (Alaska) reimbursed us for the purchase price and the cost of renting a car seat during our travels.  It was treated similarly as damaged luggage and we had to speak with a customer service agent and provide a receipt (which we had because it was purchased online).

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8467 on: February 13, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »

That's nice.

I don't know if this is airline-specific, but our car seat was damaged (unusable) during a flight and the airline (Alaska) reimbursed us for the purchase price and the cost of renting a car seat during our travels.  It was treated similarly as damaged luggage and we had to speak with a customer service agent and provide a receipt (which we had because it was purchased online).

I don't know which airline I'm flying yet (probably american or united) but I know United excludes car seats and strollers from their damage coverage.  ("Except for certain International Carriage subject to the terms of the Montreal Convention, UA is not liable for damage to child/infant seats when carried as Checked Baggage." From their contract of carriage. I assume this also means gate checking.)

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #8468 on: February 13, 2017, 02:37:03 PM »
I just ordered another $25 amazon gift card through swagbucks today.

It's overall a pretty miniscule amount, but I made ~ $183 last year in amazon gift cards from swagbucks and mPlus rewards.

I figure since I'd be wasting time on forums or playing mobile games anyway, I might as well earn a few rewards points during some of my more idle times.
<|> My Strava <|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8469 on: February 13, 2017, 02:53:21 PM »
Spontaneous sugar party at work yesterday. (Whenever one person in my team decides they need a sugar hit, they come back with enough lollies and chocolate to cater a kid's birthday party. I think it's their way of sharing the guilt.)

I didn't eat anything, but when they were handing out leftovers I ended up with some bits and pieces I can use in birthday rocky road for my mum. I already had half the ingredients and a pretty jar at home, so it's going to end up costing me nothing.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8470 on: February 13, 2017, 03:38:22 PM »
Gave my children's hair a trim today.  They're all girls, so they all get the blunt-cut-with-bangs treatment.  Easy peasy.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8471 on: February 13, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »
I did my first ever bike trip to the grocery store! =o ~1.2miles each way, so too far to want to walk it. Hoping this becomes a thing! (I just got my first bike as an adult, and I got panniers! I feel so fancy).
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Raenia

• Stubble
« Reply #8472 on: February 13, 2017, 05:25:14 PM »
Went to the local thrift store to find a birthday gift for a family friend, found two small items (<$5 together), and got out without visiting the book section!  This is a big victory for me :P

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8473 on: February 13, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »
Bundled some discounts to save an extra $22 on a magazine subscription for my husband.

It's work-related, so also tax deductible.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8474 on: February 13, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »
Helped my son make valentines for his class out of cardstock I already have, rather than running out to the drugstore to buy cards.  We made simple origami toys instead of putting in candy. I had to leave halfway, so husband had to help him finish them... apparently my son wanted to save even more by not giving valentines to the girls! :D

Bracken_Joy, your bike ride is impressive!  And it made me smile to think of your fancy panniers!!

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #8475 on: February 13, 2017, 09:19:09 PM »
we did not buy a house...we stupidly are getting enchanted with properties , search and calculate the whole weekend, then we wake up, check our finances, thankful for our saving rates which are possible only due to being renters and decide to forget about buying.
 so we save a lot of money by not buying :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8476 on: February 13, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »
we did not buy a house...we stupidly are getting enchanted with properties , search and calculate the whole weekend, then we wake up, check our finances, thankful for our saving rates which are possible only due to being renters and decide to forget about buying.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/what-did-you-not-buy-today/

;)

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #8477 on: February 14, 2017, 06:51:44 AM »

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/what-did-you-not-buy-today/

;)
Thank you mustachepungoeshere  !

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8478 on: February 14, 2017, 09:44:10 AM »
Got 10% off kid clothes by asking for a discount.

Used the Kitchenaid grain grinder to make baby cereal instead of paying $7 a box.

We had a break in the rain so line-dried a load of laundry.

Made a $200 clearing some junk out of the garage before beginning remodel to turn it into rooms for the boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8479 on: February 14, 2017, 05:33:59 PM »
We realize that we had forgotten to buy chocolate for dessert for Valentine's Day.

Option 1) drive 25km to the nearest store, pay through the nose for mediocre chocolate, drive home. NOPE.

Option 2) no chocolate. Enh, it's an option, but not really a fun/pleasant one.

Option 3) say "hey child, wanna make chocolate squares for Valentine's Day?", melt a half cup of chocolate, pour it into the bottom of silicone muffin tins in little wafer shapes, and let the toddler add toppings of her choice (walnuts, mostly. She loves walnuts). Didn't use anything special, everyone had chocolate, and it was a lovely activity... and we didn't have to leave the house or drive anywhere, so no money spent! :)

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8480 on: February 14, 2017, 06:35:43 PM »
I made a batch of homemade marshmallows for my husband's Valentine's gift since he adores hot chocolate. I'd planned to make a batch of fancy hot cocoa mix as well, but the kid took a short nap today so we just had the normal stuff with a flourless chocolate cake for dessert.

WhoDey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • HoneyDoCarpenter
« Reply #8481 on: February 15, 2017, 06:27:23 AM »
I just cancelled my home security saving $50 per month.

I also just started maxing out my HSA!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8482 on: February 15, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »
Went to work. Where I was given a set of free headphones as part of a promo.

Nothing too flash but they are the style my husband prefers so they can go in the drawer for the next time he loses a pair.

soccerluvof4

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at 50
« Reply #8483 on: February 15, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »
I've heard people mention it , but for the first time I was dragging and needed a cup of Joe so I just ran some water through the used grounds from this morning and it was perfect.
" In life you don't get what you deserve you get what you negotiate"

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8484 on: February 15, 2017, 08:34:22 PM »
I bought nothing because I've been snowed in for two days.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8485 on: February 16, 2017, 12:32:25 AM »
I downloaded a bunch of podcasts from Norwegian money advisors that advice every week some topic to save money on. I'll listen to it next time we're in a car for a long drive.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8486 on: February 16, 2017, 07:10:21 AM »
Neglected to plan anything for lunch today. Threw a broccoli crown, a few snow peas, and some strawberries in my lunch bag. I'll grab some lettuce and a little dressing from the salad bar for $1.50 or so, rather than paying for a whole salad. Will also eat the emergency soup I keep here for just such an occasion.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8487 on: February 16, 2017, 10:26:22 AM »
I bought $50 worth of groceries, that only cost me $20 thanks to grocery points. I am eating down my pantry/freezer but needed some spices and ingredients to make more rounded meals. I want to eat down the food stores, but I still want flavourful meals without missing items, otherwise it feels like a punishment.

Right now I have the slow cooker going with some ground chicken, broth, spices and a ton of veggies from the freezer. I am sorta obsessed lately with these kind of veggie soups because I have so many bags of frozen veggies to use up. (I bought then on sale for 50% off)

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #8488 on: February 16, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
I made sure to get all of my fitness steps in so that I:

1. work towards getting our $1200 health care credit
2. get points towards our Amazon gift cards (usually about $800-$1000 a year)
3. get credit for another gift card for participating in a study.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8489 on: February 16, 2017, 11:31:13 AM »
Neglected to plan anything for lunch today. Threw a broccoli crown, a few snow peas, and some strawberries in my lunch bag. I'll grab some lettuce and a little dressing from the salad bar for $1.50 or so, rather than paying for a whole salad. Will also eat the emergency soup I keep here for just such an occasion.
Didn't bother hitting the salad bar. Just grazing on the veg and strawberries.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8490 on: February 16, 2017, 11:53:12 AM »
I took my kiddo to open gym using our punch card. Worth the cost since he has now napped longer than the past 3 days combined. Note to self: kid needs more exercise.

After he wakes up we'll walk to the library to swap our books and have coloring time.

I'm trying to stretch as long as possible to our next grocery shop, but we ran out of applesauce and it's the kiddos favorite snack. I made a batch of homemade apple/pear sauce yesterday to dodge that obstacle, but I'm not sure how to get around that we ran out of coffee this morning...

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8491 on: February 16, 2017, 01:04:01 PM »
I'm trying to stretch as long as possible to our next grocery shop, but we ran out of applesauce and it's the kiddos favorite snack. I made a batch of homemade apple/pear sauce yesterday to dodge that obstacle, but I'm not sure how to get around that we ran out of coffee this morning...

Now that's a real emergency!  Get thee to the grocery store!!!

(Yes, I am an enabler...)
'To be human you must bear witness to justice. Justice is what love looks like in public." 
Dr. Cornel West

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8492 on: February 16, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
Received a $15 refund from iTunes.

I wanted to use an iTunes gift card (Christmas) to buy a show but I didn't realise our Apple TV was logged into my husband's iTunes account rather than mine.

So I asked iTunes to refund the purchase and they did.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8493 on: February 16, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
Cut open the tube of hand cream I keep in my desk at work.

It raised a few eyebrows but I think I can get another week out of it.

I have two or three cut-open tubes in my bathroom right now... drives me BONKERS to waste the stuff that can't be dispensed from a tube or pump (and it's often more than a week's worth!). :)

You were right, Step37!

I thought I'd get another week out of the tube.

Just emptied it. A month later!

[Sorry Step. Always see your name as Steph!]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:11:24 PM by mustachepungoeshere »

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8494 on: February 16, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »

I have two or three cut-open tubes in my bathroom right now... drives me BONKERS to waste the stuff that can't be dispensed from a tube or pump (and it's often more than a week's worth!). :)

You were right, Steph37!

Oh dear.  I always thought it really wouldn't be worth the bother, just for a couple of extra days worth.  You're making me think twice.  Thanks for posting the update!
'To be human you must bear witness to justice. Justice is what love looks like in public." 
Dr. Cornel West

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8495 on: February 17, 2017, 03:37:41 AM »

You were right, Step37!

'

Good idea. I haven't done this yet. I squeeze the toothpaste until really nothing comes out of it. It hurts my fingers every time I do this. But I have never cut the tube open. Shall try it once to see how much is left.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #8496 on: February 17, 2017, 08:09:41 AM »

You were right, Step37!

'

Good idea. I haven't done this yet. I squeeze the toothpaste until really nothing comes out of it. It hurts my fingers every time I do this. But I have never cut the tube open. Shall try it once to see how much is left.
I use mt toothbrush's handle to scrape as much toothpaste as possible out of the tube. Haven't gotten to the cutting it open phase because one tube just lasts so long at our house.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #8497 on: February 17, 2017, 09:52:24 AM »
I use mt toothbrush's handle to scrape as much toothpaste as possible out of the tube. Haven't gotten to the cutting it open phase because one tube just lasts so long at our house.

I usually fold over the flaps on the other side of the the opening in the toothpaste container and shove it up against the corner of the sink (a desk would work if your sink doesn't have corners).  It drives my wife nuts, but I usually use the container for a couple weeks until it's pretty much dry.

I would do this as long as possible before cutting it open as once it's open it dries up really quickly.  I also extend the life of my toothpaste by adding about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp baking soda to tiny drops of the paste.

Speaking of toothpaste, y'all need to drop by Walgreens by 2/19 and pick up a "free" tube (all you have to pay is tax).  As long as you're a balance rewards member, go online and clip their $3.00 e-Coupon for Colgate.  Details here: https://slickdeals.net/f/9760699-colgate-toothpaste-limit-1-free-after-coupon-at-walgreens-2-12-2-18-17.
<|> My Strava <|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!

soccerluvof4

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at 50
« Reply #8498 on: February 17, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
My sons Birthday is coming up so he sent me a link to some BB shoes he wanted. Searching I found them on sale, then used Ebates got 20% off and 5% back in check!
" In life you don't get what you deserve you get what you negotiate"

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8499 on: February 17, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »

Now that's a real emergency!  Get thee to the grocery store!!!

(Yes, I am an enabler...)

Haha! I did hold off until today and made do with green tea with my breakfast. I also didn't do a full shopping trip, just items I had on my list that were were out of... and spaghetti squash since they were on sale.