Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2018252 times)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8351 on: February 02, 2017, 12:50:08 AM »
Tanked petrol on thursday morning, which is one of the cheaper days. This car I used never drives along a petrol station normally, but because of very icy roads, I had to make a detour over a longer route with bigger and salted roads. Then it wasn't many extra meters to fill up the tank on a cheaper day.

Rant: the government set up the tax on petrol prices with 0,5 Norwegian crowns. The petrol stations followed up by setting the prices up with 2 Nor crs.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8352 on: February 02, 2017, 05:52:38 AM »
7:45am here and I already saved myself some money. Walmart.ca had a evoucher for $10 off an online order. I ordered some household items I actually needed (boring stuff like garbage bags and toothpaste) with taxes it was $36.xx, after the coupon $24.xx. I shipped it my corner shop a Canada Post outlet, so I got free shipping despite being under the limit. Around 33% savings!

I also have a crazy points deal today at my local grocery store. 2L pop will work out to 51 cents with taxes, which is a pretty crazy low price. I'm buying a bunch for when I entertain and have game nights.

DCfarmhouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8353 on: February 02, 2017, 07:34:59 AM »
Just canceled my Comcast service. Work will pay for my wifi and spring is coming...time to be outside!

Erma

• Stubble
« Reply #8354 on: February 02, 2017, 07:40:55 AM »
I'm using the free internet at the train station while waiting instead of my own data volume.

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8355 on: February 02, 2017, 08:10:28 AM »
*Bought dog food in bulk, using a coupon and membership discount to further lower the price.
*Harvested a bunch of self seeded lamb's lettuce.
*Hung first load of laundry this year outside to dry, now hoping it will be dry before sundown.
*Took a "warm sweater day" in advance: thermostat back to 17 C. Which wasn't a big deal, because I've been active and/or outside most of the time anyway.

Yay, out of debt... now, GROW!
My '16/'17 journal

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8356 on: February 02, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »
Just canceled my Comcast service. Work will pay for my wifi and spring is coming...time to be outside!
AWESOME!  Cancelling cable is quite a big thing though!

Last night, I made dinner with from few defrosted chicken sausages, eggs, and toast. 
I also packed my breakfast (overnight oats) and lunch. 

Tonight I'm going to make a pie for a potluck tomorrow night.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8357 on: February 02, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »

Wow, did you cancel cable AND internet? That's seriously impressive if so!

Nothing too exciting here.
*priced out floss. Found it would be cheaper to do amazon S&S than it was at costco. Added it to next month's order.
*eating leftovers
*picked up a book from the library
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #8358 on: February 02, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »
Had a bad day at work that really demoralized the whole team. A terrible meeting at 4:30 so we all left feeling very poorly. Most everyone wanted to go to happy hour to discuss and decompress, but I told them it wasn't in my budget. Got several texts later begging me to come and offering to pay for my drink. I went and had the cheapest glass of wine they offered, alternating with water to make it last longer. The coworker who paid for me is gluten free so I'll whip up some tasty snacks for her out of pantry ingredients as a thank you.
Today the demoralizing continued so the team went out to lunch. I had budgeted for a team lunch next week (we'll be in trainings), but found a buy one get one free coupon and split with another coworker. $4 lunch and can now decline the one next week which would have been more expensive.
Going to a conference next week and will pack food so I can pocket as much of the per diem as possible.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8359 on: February 02, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
Didn't buy anything at the coffee shop when one of my classes decided to meet there instead of on campus.  Everyone else bought, so I didn't feel bad.  I didn't sleep much last night was sorely tempted by extra caffeine.

I also almost bought because I've been encouraging myself to say yes to social things, but on the way into the shop I realized that it wasn't social.  It was class.  I'll save my "free pass" for sometime when someone wants to stop after class.   

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8360 on: February 02, 2017, 03:27:42 PM »
Fixed the continuous-flow ink system on my printer, which I installed because the individual ink tanks are so expensive. Now my hands are all black, yellow, magenta, and cyan.

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8361 on: February 02, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »
Please be careful, those inks are nasty! Gloves might be worth it
Yay, out of debt... now, GROW!
My '16/'17 journal

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #8362 on: February 02, 2017, 11:23:54 PM »
I don't think anyone really regrets getting rid of Comcast.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8363 on: February 03, 2017, 12:32:17 AM »
Again, swimming "for free" in a public swimming pool. As least, my husband and I are members of a triathlon club that costs a fixed sum per year. The free swimming in the pool in winter time is included. The membership price is a LOT cheaper than any tickets at the pool would have cost, like a third of the price.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #8364 on: February 03, 2017, 06:04:25 AM »
Checked the Whole Foods app - this month they're doing $5 off a $25 meat purchase.  Noted the meats my location has on sale to double down on the savings, and will plan meals around those items.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8365 on: February 03, 2017, 06:33:04 AM »
Again, swimming "for free" in a public swimming pool. As least, my husband and I are members of a triathlon club that costs a fixed sum per year. The free swimming in the pool in winter time is included. The membership price is a LOT cheaper than any tickets at the pool would have cost, like a third of the price.

Nice.  The military discount to our local pool makes it $10 a month for DH to swim; otherwise it is about $30 a month or $4 per time.

I don't like swimming, but recently found out you can use the track for free. So now I got walk while he swims, which is way better than sitting on the couch at home!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8366 on: February 03, 2017, 10:12:42 AM »
Made pie last night for potluck tonight
Brought tea, snacks, breakfast, and lunch to work today
Checked out book from library
Downloaded audiobook to my iPhone (also through the library)

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8367 on: February 03, 2017, 10:26:21 AM »
Please be careful, those inks are nasty! Gloves might be worth it

I did! But I didn't notice the tiny specks of ink left on my black printer until it was too late...

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8368 on: February 03, 2017, 03:51:46 PM »
Went to the thrift store and bought two 100% wool sweaters for less than $10. Going to make some wool dryer balls out of them. Much cheaper than buying skeins or ready made wool dryer balls.

Also went to Aldi to get cheese, saved a bunch of money right there over most grocers.

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #8369 on: February 03, 2017, 04:00:04 PM »
I picked up an extra work shift, 1-4:30 PM. Now, since that puts me home later than I was planning, I was REALLY tempted to buy pizza out instead of making it for our Friday pizza night.

But I resisted the urge and made dough before I left for work. I mean, it's not really going to take that much longer to roll out and bake than it would have taken to pick up pizza, and now I get to keep more of my hard-earned money.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8370 on: February 03, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
I picked up an extra work shift, 1-4:30 PM. Now, since that puts me home later than I was planning, I was REALLY tempted to buy pizza out instead of making it for our Friday pizza night.

But I resisted the urge and made dough before I left for work. I mean, it's not really going to take that much longer to roll out and bake than it would have taken to pick up pizza, and now I get to keep more of my hard-earned money.
Awesome! 

We used to keep a frozen pizza in our freezer for that exact urge.  I'm impressed that you were able to make the dough before work. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8371 on: February 03, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
Wanted takeaway last night but made a tasty meal from pantry ingredients instead.

Renewed my library membership and checked out three books I'm super excited to read.

Today I'm going to do some baking for NEXT weekend's hosting that will store well in the freezer (one of the secrets to hosting a lot with low energy!).

As per usual, line drying all our washing :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8372 on: February 03, 2017, 05:34:46 PM »
*Made a huge double batch of beef vegetable stew in the toaster and cooked at 200 all afternoon. Smells delicious in here. I am having a tough go of things right now so this was a Herculean effort to get this going. I'm so glad I did!

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8373 on: February 03, 2017, 07:39:15 PM »
Funny, I made a huge pot of chicken stew!  Haha, must be the weather.  I used a bunch of baby carrots, onions, celery and baby potatoes that I had bought a while back.  Thawed some chicken tender meat I had in my freezer and even found some chicken stock in my basement that I'd bought at Costco a looooooong time ago.  So, a bunch of meals and didn't have to buy anything to make it. 
Frugalite in training.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8374 on: February 03, 2017, 08:35:28 PM »
*Shaved more brussel sprouts (vs buying pre-shaved from Trader Joe's). This is an Uber Frugal January change that is actually going to stick I think! Coupled with Sailor Sam's advice to put a paper towel in the bottom and top of a container of veggies (like cut lettuce) and they stay safe for... well, until we eat them, which so far hasn't been more than a week.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

NV Teacher

• Bristles
« Reply #8375 on: February 03, 2017, 11:13:31 PM »
Two things, I skipped supper tonight because I had a late lunch and honestly ate too much at the monthly pot luck and I talked the car repair shop into a discount on my next service because it took over twice as long to repair the dents and dings from a hit and run than they said it would take.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8376 on: February 04, 2017, 06:37:13 AM »
Actually every day, but it has paid off recently. I shower at the gym and hand wash dishes while waiting for the micro instead of using the dishwasher. As a result my water usage is pretty low.

My town has 3 tiers of water usage with increasing rates for each tier on their bills and I am always below the first tier. This quarter something went screwy with the billing and people in the second tier and beyond got huge bills even though the rates didn't change. My bill is fine.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #8377 on: February 04, 2017, 07:40:43 AM »
Made a huuuge batch of super yummy stuffed pasta from stuff lying around. Sooo good and super cheap, with a bottle of wine left over from guests.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

CheapScholar

• Stubble
« Reply #8378 on: February 04, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »
Loaf of bread was down to 5 pieces and going stale.  Made them into bread crumbs.  Will work great for breaded chicken this week or as an ingredient for a meat loaf.

brute

• Bristles
« Reply #8379 on: February 04, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »
I bought ingredients for an Imperial chocolate peanut butter milk stout. There's on from a place called Springhouse in PA that I used to like a whole lot, but it's like $13 a six pack. Two cases of my home made version will run me about $30 including energy costs (but not amortizing equipment costs for the hobby)

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8380 on: February 04, 2017, 01:02:20 PM »
We used travel credit from the Chase Sapphire Preferred card to take a short round-trip Amtrak ride with our toddler who loves trains - ride to a town 30 minutes away, get out and buy coffee with a gift card from Christmas and walk around window shopping for a little bit, then ride back. Fun for everyone but not something we'd spend real money on.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #8381 on: February 04, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »
I'm making a quart of goat's milk yogurt in my yogurt maker from Trader Joe's goat milk at $3.69 a quart. I need non ultra pasteurized milk to make yogurt from, and this was a cheaper option than Strauss organic glass packed milk (not available at TJ's anyway)

I also walked to the store and took my wheeled shopping bag, around 1 1/4 miles each way.

NV Teacher

• Bristles
« Reply #8382 on: February 04, 2017, 08:34:28 PM »
My work pants are starting to get a bit faded and stretched out but I don't want to buy new pants until school starts in the fall.  So a few bottles of fabric dye and some time at the sewing machine and they are good to go for the rest of the school year. 

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #8383 on: February 05, 2017, 07:42:54 AM »
Our bathroom faucet needs to be replaced - it's corroded and gross. My husband found the original receipt from 14 years ago (take that, konmarie!), I checked online and found there's a lifetime warranty and they are sending us a new one for free.

Splurgy savings: Coconut oil is $18 a gallon on amazon today so I ordered a gallon, after checking that it doesn't go rancid for up to a few years, unlike other cooking oils.

Ordered a new backup sump pump to replace the broken one before spring comes, paid for it entirely with cashback paypal dollars from grocery and survey apps.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8384 on: February 05, 2017, 08:23:30 AM »
I cut up my old duvet cover (flat sheet was worn, and then we changed bed sizes... fabric was still perfectly nice and soft flannel, just of no use in its current format) and made 2 flannel crib sheets and change table covers for the baby's room. Total expense: 2$ worth of elastic.

On another note, WHY are crib sheets in-store a) expensive, and b) only found in offensive-to-design-aesthetics patterns? And c) usually horrifically gendered? I am NOT paying 30$ for a bit of fabric with blue bunnies printed on, you guys. Gimme 20 mins and a sewing machine.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8385 on: February 05, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
On another note, WHY are crib sheets in-store a) expensive, and b) only found in offensive-to-design-aesthetics patterns? And c) usually horrifically gendered? I am NOT paying 30$ for a bit of fabric with blue bunnies printed on, you guys. Gimme 20 mins and a sewing machine.

This this this. You could probably expand "crib sheets" to "most things for kids". It's especially weird for things used by children who are probably too young to even process them.

On topic, I bought a crapton of pork chops on sale (man, meat is cheap these days) and broke them down (pale pink pieces for cutlets, everything else for soy-garlic slow-cooked meat).
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8386 on: February 05, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »
A friend invited us to a weekend in a hut in the forest. Nice place. They rented it and didn't want me to pay half of what it cost. So I had a nice weekend in the snow for free.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #8387 on: February 05, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »
Just finished prepping 10 lunches for next week, 5 for me and 5 for the hubs. Cost about $13 total. So that comes to $1.30 per meal. I also prepped 8 egg, bacon and cheese bagels. Total of $5.79. So .72 cents for each breakfast and they are great. I froze them and can just pop them in the microwave  for breakfast next week.

Chippewa

• Magnum Stache
    • stupid debt
« Reply #8388 on: February 05, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »
I don't know if this is saving money or guilt... needed an outfit. Had it in my hand. At checkout. Decided to put it back and wear the one outfit I have applicable for this meeting. So while the $50 is in my budget for clothes... its still in the bank.
blog :: stupid debt or journal

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #8389 on: February 05, 2017, 05:29:25 PM »
I ate ham for three days in a row. It was a week past its "use by" (not "sell by" or "best by") date.

Not being a fan of food poisoning, I was thinking of tossing it. But I found that the usda .gov site says if it still smells good and isn't slimy, it is ok to eat it well past its "use by" date.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/fsis-content/internet/main/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/food-labeling/food-product-dating/food-product-dating#8
FIRE'd on January 4, 2017

SimpleCycle

• Bristles
« Reply #8390 on: February 05, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »
We made some chicken meatballs as a party appetizer that weren't a hit, so I froze them and have been feeding them to the baby, who has a less discerning palate.  Frozen leftover meatballs + one bag of Aldi frozen vegetables gave us about 10 baby meals.

I also repurposed some blue cheese from the same party into tonight's buffalo chicken dip in honor of the sportsball game with the good commercials.

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8391 on: February 05, 2017, 05:45:05 PM »
Stayed home all day worked around the house and yard. Spent no money. Went freezer and cupboard diving for supper -- spaghetti with meat sauce, peas on the side, with some mini cupcakes for dessert that were leftover from a dinner party. Made enough spaghetti and sauce that leftovers will do for at least three work lunches this week.  Will add veggies, greens, etc. to it in the days to come to break the monotony. 

Cleaned out the fridge.  Found a large unopened container of whole milk yogurt -- two months past the sell-by date.  Still smells and tastes fine, so I'll add some frozen blueberries and cranberries and eat that for breakfast for the next few days.   

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8392 on: February 05, 2017, 05:47:37 PM »
Stayed home all day worked around the house and yard. Spent no money. Went freezer and cupboard diving for supper -- spaghetti with meat sauce, peas on the side, with some mini cupcakes for dessert that were leftover from a dinner party. Made enough spaghetti and sauce that leftovers will do for at least three work lunches this week.  Will add veggies, greens, etc. to it in the days to come to break the monotony. 

Cleaned out the fridge.  Found a large unopened container of whole milk yogurt -- two months past the sell-by date.  Still smells and tastes fine, so I'll add some frozen blueberries and cranberries and eat that for breakfast for the next few days.   

I have found unopened/uncontaminated whole milk yogurt to have virtually no end date. It just gets a bit more tart. Now if the sides accidentally get touched or anything, sometimes I'll get some mold on an older yogurt. But if I just do clean spoons carefully? Just kinda lasts forever. Fermentation is cool...

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8393 on: February 05, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »
I made yogurt for the first time today! $4.29 for about a gallon of milk made just a bit more yogurt than I usually buy for about $11 at Costco. It is a bit runnier than I'd like (I like greek) but it might be trial and error to get it just right? I strained it, but I don't think I left it long enough. I need more fridge space!!

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8394 on: February 05, 2017, 06:18:32 PM »
I tossed the carcass of tonight's chicken into the stockpot with veggie scraps to simmer overnight. In the morning I'll use a bunch of leftovers to make chicken soup.

Made bacon-wrapped, cream cheese stuffed jalapeņos, mixed up a jar of very simple hot cocoa mix, and baked a loaf of sourdough bread.

Cleaned the bathtubs and bathroom floors with a mixture of white vinegar that had been steeped with orange peels, hot water, and a touch of dish soap.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8395 on: February 05, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »
I made yogurt for the first time today! $4.29 for about a gallon of milk made just a bit more yogurt than I usually buy for about $11 at Costco. It is a bit runnier than I'd like (I like greek) but it might be trial and error to get it just right? I strained it, but I don't think I left it long enough. I need more fridge space!!

Make sure the milk heats to almost-boiling before cooling it down (changes the structure of the milk) and adding the culture. And if thy doesn't make thick enough yogurt, try adding a half-cup of dried milk to the batch.

marion10

• Stubble
« Reply #8396 on: February 05, 2017, 10:10:56 PM »
This weekend was rounding up some bits and pieces. I had some VISA cash cards that had small odd balances and converted them to Amazon gift cards.
I had enough my coke rewards points for a $5.00 Walmart gift card which I donated to local women's shelter (they were having a drive at church)
Also made a few donations with the last of my coke rewards points to National  Parks Foundation and USI and used the Shutterfly offer the make a deck of cards as a gift for my sister. Used a balance on a gift card I got from my health insurer to pay for shipping.
Checked my old Microsoft Bing account and a Swagbucks account and had enough for a $5.00 amazon giftcard from each.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8397 on: February 05, 2017, 10:23:16 PM »
I also made yogurt today.  I buy a gallon of milk for $2.50, it yields about 2 liters or yogurt after fermentation and straining to make it greek style.  Compared to Fage, which is $4 for 500ml around here.  So Fage is $16 for 2 liters vs $2.50 when I make it myself.  Man I love the Instant Pot!
Frugalite in training.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8398 on: February 05, 2017, 11:29:13 PM »

I have found unopened/uncontaminated whole milk yogurt to have virtually no end date. It just gets a bit more tart. Now if the sides accidentally get touched or anything, sometimes I'll get some mold on an older yogurt. But if I just do clean spoons carefully? Just kinda lasts forever. Fermentation is cool...

Plain yogurt is especially good for long shelf life, but anything with fruit or mix-ins may turn sometime after the date.  Depends on brand for how sensitive it is.

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8399 on: February 06, 2017, 04:51:29 AM »

Make sure the milk heats to almost-boiling before cooling it down (changes the structure of the milk) and adding the culture. And if thy doesn't make thick enough yogurt, try adding a half-cup of dried milk to the batch.

I made it in the crock pot - I'm not sure if it hit almost boiling. Maybe I'll try a different method next time. Does anyone have a tried and true method?