Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2205669 times)

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8250 on: January 23, 2017, 12:34:34 PM »
For the first time EVER, I found something on manager's special at the grocery store because it was close to the use-by date. (I hear MMM people talk about this all the time but I think the turnover is too heavy at city grocery stores for this to be common.) It was a brand of mozzarella cheese I really like, so I bought a package. $2 savings. I can make it into a baked ziti or lasagna and use it all up quickly.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8251 on: January 23, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »
I found a place in my city that has massage therapists that are trained to handle late-pregnancy pain and discomfort (OW MY HIPS), AND have those nifty massage tables where you can just kinda tuck your belly into a hole and get a proper massage, AND this is 80% covered by my health insurance.

Or, in other words: for 15$ out-of-pocket, I should be able to be mostly pain-free and sleep properly for a few days.

Right now, that's a BARGAIN.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8252 on: January 23, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »
Put out a buffet of leftovers for me and the kids for lunch and a lot was eaten up. I chose the oldest dish for myself, even though I didn't really want it (for the fourth time) and froze the rest in a foil tin for a lady at church that I'm cooking for who has a chronic illness.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8253 on: January 23, 2017, 03:07:52 PM »
Kitsune, if you don't have them already, I highly recommend wedge-shaped and L-shaped pregnancy pillows! I was so desperate for sleep but couldn't afford the fancy pillows on sale, so I recreated them by hand. I went to  an online place that sells foam and batting (sorry, can't remember which as it was over 12 years ago)  and bought a rectangular piece of spongy foam, and several bags of polyester fiberfill. I hacked the foam into two wedges using scissors. Then I took 4 yards of cheap muslin fabric, folded it over, used a crayon to draw a big "L" shape in what I felt would be the right dimensions, and cut it out so I had two big "L"s. Stitched them together around the edges, left a hole for  stuffing, and made my pillow. I had some fabric and stuffing  left, so I also made a nice long but thin bed pillow.

This made such a difference to me, and I happily used them throughout my pregnancies.

Melisande

• Stubble
« Reply #8254 on: January 23, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »
What did I do to save money today? My body contrived to still be sick. (I've had a cold since early last week.) Since last week, zero $$ have been spent on dining out w/ hubby, lunch out with friends, on gas, etc. Just staying home, reading, writing, resting and watching Netflix. Very frugal.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8255 on: January 23, 2017, 06:22:51 PM »
- Cancelled sponsor child (after discussion in another thread), saving $48/year.

- Opened a new term deposit and transferred a chunk of cash into it as I'm about to hit the balance limit on my "high interest" savings account.

- Bulked out today's lunch (a chicken noodle simmer soup) with 1.5 cups of macaroni. This was too much, as it turns out - there are more noodles than soup! But a handful next time would definitely work.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8256 on: January 23, 2017, 06:37:46 PM »
1967mama, is it your birthday?? Happy birthday if so!!

- Cancelled sponsor child (after discussion in another thread), saving $48/year.

Shouldn't that be $48/month?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8257 on: January 23, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »
Our washer seized up and smelled like burning mid-load. Wee. DH dug out tools and we did our own trouble shooting. Lots of googling to confirm things later, diagnosis was in: transmission failure. (I didn't even know washers HAD those before starting the process, haha). Sadly, it's a 24 year old machine (older than the house!), and the part is not available- not even refurbs.

Rather than run out and buy a new one at that point, we did some asking around- and my ILs might just give us their old set from the house they're currently selling. In the meantime, I'll be using their washer anyway since they live less than a mile away and we've been house sitting (they're working on prepping it for sale, and splitting time between the places right now- only a couple days a week at the place close to us).

A couple no spend days in a row.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8258 on: January 23, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »
Kitsune, if you don't have them already, I highly recommend wedge-shaped and L-shaped pregnancy pillows! I was so desperate for sleep but couldn't afford the fancy pillows on sale, so I recreated them by hand. I went to  an online place that sells foam and batting (sorry, can't remember which as it was over 12 years ago)  and bought a rectangular piece of spongy foam, and several bags of polyester fiberfill. I hacked the foam into two wedges using scissors. Then I took 4 yards of cheap muslin fabric, folded it over, used a crayon to draw a big "L" shape in what I felt would be the right dimensions, and cut it out so I had two big "L"s. Stitched them together around the edges, left a hole for  stuffing, and made my pillow. I had some fabric and stuffing  left, so I also made a nice long but thin bed pillow.

This made such a difference to me, and I happily used them throughout my pregnancies.

Yeah, I have a similar one and it worked wonders until about 2 weeks ago. Now I'm just at the stage of huge and everything hurts and ugh. My mom says the point of the last 2-3 weeks of pregnancy is to make you so miserable that you get ready to give birth - she might have a point. Ugh.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8259 on: January 23, 2017, 07:02:01 PM »
Yes,  late term pregnancy is the pits!!  My first pregnancy was at least interesting because it was all new, but the second one was like, "all right all right, just give me the baby now!"

I should probably take this to the Baby/Pregnancy thread, but let me put in a good word for "hypnobirthing". Despite the fruity hippie name, it worked well for me and I highly recommend. The basic premise is that childbirth is a natural peristaltic process like swallowing, etc. and that it's not necessarily painful unless you are tense. Anyway, good luck and congratulations!!

Melisande, I hope you feel better! There has been a very nasty cough-forever disease going around and the way out of it is getting lots of rest.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8260 on: January 24, 2017, 12:28:41 AM »
Happier at Home!

Thank you!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8261 on: January 24, 2017, 01:04:42 AM »
1967mama, is it your birthday?? Happy birthday if so!!

Shouldn't that be $48/month?

Yes, $48/month!

Happier at Home!

Thank you!

Thanks Happier, and happy birthday, 1967mama!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #8262 on: January 24, 2017, 01:35:42 AM »
Yeah, I have a similar one and it worked wonders until about 2 weeks ago. Now I'm just at the stage of huge and everything hurts and ugh. My mom says the point of the last 2-3 weeks of pregnancy is to make you so miserable that you get ready to give birth - she might have a point. Ugh.

:( No fun. My s/o didn't have this experience, (her entire pregnancy was pretty awesome, in her words - the only thing she ever complained about was the minor dietary restrictions) but I know people who have. Seems pretty miserable.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8263 on: January 24, 2017, 11:37:09 AM »
I just registered for a customer card at a grocery store that gives 15% discount on veggies anf fruit, plus 1% on everything else.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8264 on: January 24, 2017, 11:46:09 AM »
Batch cooking before DH leaves town for work. Modified a couple recipes to work with just what we had on hand. Used only black beans from dry for chili, and skipped the ground beef- did a chopped up roast instead. Also used a part can of jalapenos left over from nachos. Also skipped the bell pepper I usually put in, since I don't have one on hand. For the curry, I used the rest of the roast, and skipped green onion and cilantro that I usually put in since I didn't have them on hand.

Both still turned out well, and DH will be well stocked with food while he's gone. Pocket that per diem!
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8265 on: January 24, 2017, 01:57:36 PM »
Thanks, mustachepungoeshere!

Today I:

*froze a huge batch of leftover chili for after a big outing we hve in 2 weeks. Future me will be so happy!

*drank lots of tea from a single steeper of loose tea used over and over.

*gathered library materials that are due today to go back when we are out tonite

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8266 on: January 24, 2017, 03:29:08 PM »
Bought 2 glass martini glasses and a glass butter keeper at two different thrift stores. Items we had been meaning to buy, but not before checking the local second-hand stores. Saved at least $12 right there and they look good as new.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8267 on: January 24, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
Sold motorbike for $4000, cancelled insurance, got a $77 refund.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8268 on: January 25, 2017, 12:32:53 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

MustacheMathTM

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8269 on: January 25, 2017, 03:44:51 AM »
Brought packed lunch. :)

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8270 on: January 25, 2017, 07:42:27 AM »
Yesterday. Contested a $224 line item on a medical bill that was listed as 100% patient responsibility and got it waived because it turned out to be a billing error. It took a few phone calls and a few days but it was worth it.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

brute

• Bristles
« Reply #8271 on: January 25, 2017, 07:47:24 AM »
Restructured my insurance payments, saved $22 a year.

Worked from home, saving wear and tear on the vehicle.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8272 on: January 25, 2017, 08:28:51 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Thank you for the kind words.

But really, husband has plenty of two-wheel and four-wheel toys at his disposal for free, for anything from a track day to a week-long bike trip.

The sale was his call.

Penny McSave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8273 on: January 25, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »
I was clearing out some drawers and found a quarter, SCORE! As I was rummaging around I held a handful of trash in one hand and the quarter in the other, then I walked over to the trashcan and promptly threw away the quarter while holding on to the trash. LOL

So, today, I dug around in the trash to literally save 25. :D

(If only it were a penny...)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:10:04 PM by Penny McSave »

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8274 on: January 25, 2017, 12:47:29 PM »
Called the fridge-warranty people to get them to fix the damned fridge. For free, 'cause warranty.

AKA: I should not have an inch and a half of ice under my produce drawers. Especially since they 'fixed' it 2 months ago.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8275 on: January 25, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
Went to the grocery store and bought only what was on my list.

Made an easy, healthy dinner that yields tons of leftovers = lunch for the rest of the week. Kiddo and I delivered dinner to DH since he was working late. Unnecessary driving but saves the $10 he'd have spent getting (admittedly delicious) BBQ takeout with coworkers.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

SimpleCycle

• Bristles
« Reply #8276 on: January 26, 2017, 07:10:50 AM »
Cut my own hair after consulting a bunch of online tutorials.  I feel so empowered!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8277 on: January 26, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
Experimenting with cheap-o hair products instead of fancy pants gel from the teaching hair salon (I go once  a year - $16). I've been using up grocery store mousse and stuff. Today I'm trying NO hair products on my freshly washed hair. I have thin, curly, shoulder length hair so it kinda goes frizzy and lifeless without product. (Sigh). Any suggestions?

ETA: I've been wrapping my teapot with a tea towel every morning and it is working to keep the tea sufficiently hot without having to microwave or buy a thermos.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:44:42 AM by 1967mama »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8278 on: January 26, 2017, 11:45:53 AM »
Experimenting with cheap-o hair products instead of fancy pants gel from the teaching hair salon (I go once  a year - $16). I've been using up grocery store mousse and stuff. Today I'm trying NO hair products on my freshly washed hair. I have thin, curly, shoulder length hair so it kinda goes frizzy and lifeless without product. (Sigh). Any suggestions?

ETA: I've been wrapping my teapot with a tea towel every morning and it is working to keep the tea sufficiently hot without having to microwave or buy a thermos.

Have you tried "plopping"? One of the keys to no frizz is apparently a snag-free towel- so a jersey shirt instead of a towel, for example.
I find my hair frizzes less when I keep some weight in it- I do a little apricot kernal oil, which is also what I use for lotion. My hair is thick though, so I don't know how that translated to thinner hair.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8279 on: January 26, 2017, 01:01:43 PM »

Have you tried "plopping"? One of the keys to no frizz is apparently a snag-free towel- so a jersey shirt instead of a towel, for example.
I find my hair frizzes less when I keep some weight in it- I do a little apricot kernal oil, which is also what I use for lotion. My hair is thick though, so I don't know how that translated to thinner hair.

+1 for plopping. Have you tried homemade flax seed hair gel? I haven't yet since I've been using up the products I have but got the suggestion from someone else here on the forums and I've seen it on homemade/natural beauty blogs too.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8280 on: January 26, 2017, 02:09:10 PM »
Comcast internet bill, per usual, has been creeping up the last few months. Called today and negotiated down $40/month for the next 12 months! Not that I don't expect them to move the goal posts yet again within that period...

Raenia

• Bristles
« Reply #8281 on: January 26, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »
Cooked dinner even though I was tired and headachey when I got home, and packed my lunch for tomorrow ahead of time so I don't forget.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8282 on: January 26, 2017, 09:08:57 PM »
Switched to microfibre cloths (have a stash from my optom) to clean the windows. Part of cutting down on paper towel use.

SimpleCycle

• Bristles
« Reply #8283 on: January 26, 2017, 09:42:10 PM »
Reshopped our home insurance and switched carriers to save $80/year.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8284 on: January 26, 2017, 10:08:57 PM »
* Got $15 recycling deposit back for returning our old car battery to Pep Boys
* Brought bags into the supermarket and saved $0.20
* Unplugged the whole sprinkler system for the time being since we've had an excellently rainy winter so far
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8285 on: January 27, 2017, 01:03:19 AM »
Curly hair method and product update:

I think my hair is too short for plopping?? Been to a few websites to learn the technique.

I made the flax hair gel with some lavender EO. I cannot actually believe how well this worked! Even I wouldn't believe me if I hadn't seen if for myself!

Thank you for the tips!

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:29:15 PM by 1967mama »

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #8286 on: January 27, 2017, 05:42:37 AM »
Cancelled my temporary Dropbox Pro account, for $9.99/month.

I'm debating firing my insurance company (house + auto), which we have had through a local agent for maybe 20 years. It's kind of like breaking up, though. I don't really want to call the person I've been dealing with all these years and tell her, "well, I switched to xxx, please cancel my policies." I have two teen drivers, though, and I think the difference will be substantial on the auto portion. Anyone else been through this?

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8287 on: January 27, 2017, 06:31:43 AM »

I'm debating firing my insurance company (house + auto), which we have had through a local agent for maybe 20 years. It's kind of like breaking up, though. I don't really want to call the person I've been dealing with all these years and tell her, "well, I switched to xxx, please cancel my policies." I have two teen drivers, though, and I think the difference will be substantial on the auto portion. Anyone else been through this?

I go through a broker.  She finds the best insurance for the situation and suggests policy changes as needed.  No angst.  Can you find a broker and get them to do the leg work and the emotional labour?
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8288 on: January 27, 2017, 06:43:23 AM »
Cancelled my temporary Dropbox Pro account, for $9.99/month.

Be careful to vet the new house insurance company. I almost switched on price last year and then started reading the reviews for the new company. The complaints centered around the company offering a low rate, then after signing, doing a home inspection and asking for extensive repairs or offering a more expensive policy. At that point you are stuck b/c if you go back to your original insurer you will also be offered a higher rate. A few of the complaints were from people who had just bought the house and had just gone through a good inspection. Also make sure that the big national company offering the insurance is the underwriter and not farming it out to someone else. I could barely get the name of the real underwriter from the big national, after I found out that this situation was possible.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8289 on: January 27, 2017, 07:48:05 AM »
From my journal, ways to keep your sponge going longer:

Axecleaver's home making tip for the day: wet your sponge, wring it out so it's damp, then microwave for exactly two minutes. Let it cool and run under water again. Mildew fixed. Repeat weekly and sponges last forever.

I've found that tossing it in with a load of laundry every couple of weeks does the same thing.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #8290 on: January 27, 2017, 01:52:10 PM »
posting to follow.
<|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!
Fired on 9/8/2017

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #8291 on: January 27, 2017, 02:09:03 PM »

I think my hair is too short for plopping?? Been to a few websites to learn the technique.

I made the flax hair gel with some lavender EO. I cannot actually believe how well this worked! Even I wouldn't believe me if I hadn't seen if for myself!

Thank you for the tips!

I love Flax gel, so cheap! I make it then freeze it in smaller batches. I also plop, works for me great but I have long hair.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8292 on: January 27, 2017, 02:14:46 PM »

Thank you for the tips!

Depends on how short is short! From my reading, it sound like anything past ~chin length is fair game. Shorter than that and yeah, probably wouldn't hold well. But the bright side is short hair doesn't have the same issues with weight on the curl structure, which is what plopping/plunking is working to fix. This lady has relatively short hair and has a tutorial: https://youtu.be/yghmI6TVHrs

Discussion about it: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/62535-short-hair-plopping.html

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8293 on: January 27, 2017, 02:40:13 PM »
Returned a bunch of things to Home Depot left over from a bathroom renovation project. Didn't have the receipt, but the cash card was over $50! I have some other projects in mind.

alewpanda

• Stubble
« Reply #8294 on: January 27, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »
My back has been suffering and it is apparent that the hours at my desk are the culprit.  Rather than buying a cheap standing desk with no storage, we are building one ourselves.  Pipe and pine.  I'm not handy, but I did manage to sand and stain the desktop and shelves this afternoon.  :)  Baby steps. 

Equivalent desks cost 800.00 (similiar style and materials).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #8295 on: January 27, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »

Axecleaver's home making tip for the day: wet your sponge, wring it out so it's damp, then microwave for exactly two minutes. Let it cool and run under water again. Mildew fixed. Repeat weekly and sponges last forever.

I've found that tossing it in with a load of laundry every couple of weeks does the same thing.

Leave the sponge pretty wet, and the humidity will soften any dried gunk in the microwave, so it's easy to wipe out.  Win win!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8296 on: January 27, 2017, 11:47:28 PM »

Leave the sponge pretty wet, and the humidity will soften any dried gunk in the microwave, so it's easy to wipe out.  Win win!

This is exactly how I clean my microwave.

MustacheMathTM

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8297 on: January 27, 2017, 11:52:39 PM »

John Frieda Frizz Ease from the drugstore works just as well as the salon stuff. Watch for coupons and BOGOs.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:54:20 PM by pbkmaine »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8298 on: January 28, 2017, 02:17:12 AM »
Thanks for the tips on freezing flax geland also the Frizz Ease. I'm fascinated by this plopping and have never heard of it. The videos and tutorials have been super helpful. I think I will try this weekend.

Today I made 10 loaves of whole wheat bread for the freezer and 2 huge pans of granola. Should keep us in business for a while!

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8299 on: January 28, 2017, 02:19:01 AM »

My hair is long and straight, but I've found just switching the type of shampoo and conditioner within the cheapest brand makes a big difference. V05 makes an 'Extra body' version of both the shampoo and conditioner. Suave probably has something like that, too. When I use that version consistently, the little bit of wave in my hair comes out more, and my hair looks nicer. I imagine there must be other varieties of the cheap shampoos that would be good for curly hair. . . . Actually, I should look for it again . . . it's been awhile.

The tea towel sounds like a good idea. I make coffee in a French press every morning and pour the extra hot water from the kettle into my mug to warm the mug while the coffee is steeping.