Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1930398 times)

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8200 on: January 18, 2017, 10:32:34 AM »
Walked to the post office to return jeans I bought on Poshmark last week. I was able to get approved to return them since they had undisclosed damage.

I made yogurt in the Instant Pot yesterday, strained it this morning, and saved the whey. Then I quick-soaked and cooked dried black beans and will use it againfor rice later. I can't believe it took me so long to get one!
Was the yogurt-making easy/cost-effective? I'm never quite convinced it's worth it. But yeah, the IP is great :)

I've found it's worth it! Half a gallon of milk ($1.25 for conventional or $3.50?? per half gallon for organic) yields enough yogurt to fill two containers that would cost $3 or more. The only factor is time - I'm home all day so letting the yogurt set all night then strain for a few hours in the morning isn't an issue. But you could easily make it on the weekend, or depending on your schedule you could make it in the AM, set all day, and strain in the evening.
All right, I'll have to give it a try!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8201 on: January 18, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »
Got in early to trader joe's for working on my price book! A couple surprises for me- canned beans are actually LESS than at costco. Just one or two more stores and I'll be ready to do all the comparisons.
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #8202 on: January 18, 2017, 12:37:20 PM »
I love this thread, it always makes me smile.  All meals/coffee except one have been cooked at home or packed from home, we're trying to eat down the pantry and freezer this month.  The one was a brunch mystery shop with my daughter and we spent under the reimbursement so technically it doesn't count. 

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8203 on: January 18, 2017, 12:39:37 PM »
Waited till the yummy delicious South American whole bean coffee when on sale at Sprouts from $9 to $6.  Stocked up while it's on sale. 
Frugalite in training.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #8204 on: January 18, 2017, 12:48:45 PM »
Recently:

Saved $350 on an upcoming out of state trip for my BFF's wedding by bundling my hotel and flight online.  I've arranged coffee appointments with various friends at my destination rather than going out for supper/drinks.  Upon arriving, I'll go to the grocery store to stock the hotel mini fridge.  Instead of an expensive bachelorette party for my friend, I've got some fun things planned at the hotel.

Found a dime in the parking lot.  :D

Saved $1,276 on groceries and HBAs in 2016 by using coupons, e-coupons and shopping the sales.

Ordered over $100 in free gift cards last year using credit card cash back reward points.

Keeping food cost and waste to a minimum by participating in MMM's eat all the food in your house thread.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #8205 on: January 18, 2017, 01:10:17 PM »
Haven't posted much at all on the forum - I mostly lurk - but this thread inspired me to stop putting off a phone call to our internet provider. We had a tech come out last week to fix a problem on their end which had been ongoing. DH called to ask for a credit last week, but he only got $20 (he's not as forceful/persistent as I am). Since he travels for work, I was the one who mostly dealt with the spotty internet and I was mad. I finally called today and got a 1-month credit plus a rate reduction for the next year! One 15-min phone call saved us $300!

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8206 on: January 18, 2017, 01:11:11 PM »
I did absolutely nothing in the last 2 days.. if your not doing anything your not spending..:)

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8207 on: January 18, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »
We've been having a problem with voles in our yard, making little underground ruts to trip over, and eating all my pretty flowers last spring.  I've been researching humane(and cheap!) ways to get rid of them, and I read that they hate the smell of garlic.  So I spent a little bit of time peeling the 3 heads of garlic that were in my fridge, and planting them all around my yarn, adding a few extra around my baby tree and flower bed.  Maybe they'll decide to grow, and I'll even get some free garlic out of the deal. :)

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8208 on: January 18, 2017, 01:22:18 PM »
DH replaced a broken window in our farm truck himself.  Saved $400 over having the work done at an auto glass shop!  He is amazing.  :)

And I took my lunch to work for the umpteenth straight day.  Baked a potato in the microwave, sprinkled some cheese on it, and ate that along with the salad I threw together at home this morning.  I can't remember when I last bought my lunch. 

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8209 on: January 18, 2017, 03:04:53 PM »
I decided it's time to empty my change jar. I don't have a local branch of my bank and the coin machines take at least 10%. I'm just gonna use it up in self check out at the grocery.

So today I used $4.46 in change to buy a pile of fruit.

It got tedious and awkward... but I'm tired of this change hanging around.

I also walked to the grocery (1.5 miles) and redeemed coupons for several free food items that are actually useful this time! 

Edited to add:

I've got the heat off for the third day now!  I may need a little tonight as it is getting cold again but the next several days will be reasonable again.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:06:45 PM by PMG »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8210 on: January 18, 2017, 03:10:45 PM »
Made a gift for a friend using things I had at home.

It was something he had expressed an interest in, not a macaroni necklace or anything!

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8211 on: January 18, 2017, 03:14:54 PM »
I decided it's time to empty my change jar. I don't have a local branch of my bank and the coin machines take at least 10%. I'm just gonna use it up in self check out at the grocery.

Every time I've used one of those machines, it let me pick a gift card for no fee (so you don't lose any money). You can get a gift card for Amazon and then either buy things you would have bought anyway, or buy a gift card for something you really need (Amazon sells a lot of gift cards including some to grocery stores). Easier than carrying pocketfuls of change around :-) 
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #8212 on: January 18, 2017, 03:16:12 PM »
Not really done to save money, but today I noticed the way my train of though evolved:
Chatting with a friend about cloth diapers, she sends me a link to linen table napkins on Etsy
- Wow, they're cute! I could grab some, we're out of brown paper and we could use those instead
- wait, they're just linen squares with borders. I should be able to make something close enough. I'll buy some linen at the fabric store.
- Or I could buy an XXXL linen shirt at the thrift store and cut it up, it would be cheaper
- Actually, I own linen shirts I don't use much, I'll cut up one of those

Now off to look for sewing instructions!
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8213 on: January 18, 2017, 03:19:42 PM »

Every time I've used one of those machines, it let me pick a gift card for no fee (so you don't lose any money). You can get a gift card for Amazon and then either buy things you would have bought anyway, or buy a gift card for something you really need (Amazon sells a lot of gift cards including some to grocery stores). Easier than carrying pocketfuls of change around :-)

I will look into that. I haven't actually used one in years!  I'm guessing I old have about $15 in the change jar, but still... it's weight I don't need and is more useful elsewhere!

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8214 on: January 18, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
Not really done to save money, but today I noticed the way my train of though evolved:
Chatting with a friend about cloth diapers, she sends me a link to linen table napkins on Etsy
- Wow, they're cute! I could grab some, we're out of brown paper and we could use those instead
- wait, they're just linen squares with borders. I should be able to make something close enough. I'll buy some linen at the fabric store.
- Or I could buy an XXXL linen shirt at the thrift store and cut it up, it would be cheaper

I am le lazy! I have both material as well as instruction. You have inspired me to make some napkins. I tried making place mats, but that is above my pay grade.

Staying home and not going out almost always saves me money, so there's that.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #8215 on: January 18, 2017, 04:24:21 PM »

I am le lazy! I have both material as well as instruction. You have inspired me to make some napkins. I tried making place mats, but that is above my pay grade.

Yeah me too, with a new baby and snow outside I ain't going anywhere any time soon, so I'm saving money this way... also, I might have accidentally joined the "Eat your cupboard down" challenge...
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

Birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #8216 on: January 18, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »
For cloth napkins, I used cotton fabric that I had for quilting.  I cut it into large squares and then pulled strings to make a fringe on each edge.  No sewing needed. 

I use terrycloth washcloths for cleaning cloths.  Having two different types of cloths helps me wash them separately if needed. 

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8217 on: January 18, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »
Just sharpened my knives.

They are almost eight years old and I use them constantly, but a quick sharpen and they're good as new.

My DH used to be a speed skater and is good at sharpening irons. So he also sharpens the good knives at home, as well as the chain saw's chain. The only knives that are a challenge are the bread knives. I have no idea if they can be sharpened at all.
They can be, and a sharp bread knife is a wonderful thing. I found a guy at my local farmer's market who can seemingly sharpen anything.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8218 on: January 18, 2017, 05:30:22 PM »
-DH sharpened our knives today. We hone often, but I always love when he's just sharpened them. Bonus: he did our scissors too =) After wrapping-paper season, this is great.
-Worked out in the home gym
-Price booked grocery store #3

Not directly saving, but I had a good money check-in with DH today.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8219 on: January 18, 2017, 06:15:18 PM »
Assembled a baby gift today:

- a tuna casserole kit (noodles, tuna, cream of ? soup)
- large ziplock bag of homemade granola
- a ziplock of our lentil rice casserole. All she has to add is water and grated cheese on top.
- a small essential oil I got for free
- a new box of tea from my stash (that I've been trying to use up before buying any new tea)

I think it turned out cute and the cost was minimal. Will be unique at least!

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8220 on: January 18, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »

Miles ahead of you! :)
I made linen napkins out of an old tablecloth about six years ago and they are still going strong. Highly recommend. Use a darker color and stains won't show.

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #8221 on: January 19, 2017, 12:53:55 AM »
Work put on a free lunch, which  i ate gleefully (+ real orange juice! with pulp! I never buy it so guzzled some with enjoyment). Means today's packed lunch is at work for tomorrow.

We move house in two weeks, so am working through the cupboards/fridge, using up as much as possible - today  i added a chicken  (frozen in xmas sales), along with a large open can of peaches, and a glass of a fruit wine we didn't like, into our slow cooker - it smells divine!

I have six months left in a job i don't like, but it  pays okay, which is really motivating me to save. By being super frugal i can i put away $85/work day into our savings and wedding accounts - its fun to work out what that is per hour/minute.
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8222 on: January 19, 2017, 01:03:22 AM »
Day number 4 this week with lunch brought from home with toppings bought on sale.
Yesterday and the day before we ate left-overs from earlier this week.
Free cup cake at work from a colleague whose daughter is learning to be a cook. She often brings pastries to work.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8223 on: January 19, 2017, 03:37:03 AM »
Cut husband's hair.

Cooked dinner out of ingredients on hand, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8224 on: January 19, 2017, 07:49:54 AM »

And ... another tip I got from this forum ... if you already have an Amazon gift card on file you can just reload it online from the receipt for Amazon you got at the change machine. So your change machine change can be $4.97 and you can still load it into an Amazon credit. I have done this a couple of times.

Of course, then when you shop at Amazon it's like you're shopping with Monopoly money, but that's a different problem. There's a reason they make it SO easy.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8225 on: January 19, 2017, 07:55:26 AM »
I made it through the temperature dip last night and did not turn any heat on this morning. It's 43 now, supposed to get up to 58 later then in the 60s the next few days.  It's incredible to not use heat in January!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8226 on: January 19, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »
Bought a slightly cheaper can of cat food to try on the cat, and she liked it!

My cat has gotten to the point where she only eats the expensive Fancy Feast. When she doesn't like something she will not eat all day. Over the years I have tried everything else in the grocery store.

I thought that cats do not change their preference, but I guess they do. I tried a can of the second tier Fancy Feast, which was also a mushier texture than what she has been eating. Would not touch it the last time I tried it around 2 years ago. Today she ate the whole thing.

Every week there will be a new experiment can to see how low we can go now.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8227 on: January 19, 2017, 08:38:23 AM »
Packed DH's lunch/dinner for today last night, so that when he left at 4am, there was no chance of forgetting it. Benefit to the winter: I can stick it in the trunk and it stays plenty cold.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8228 on: January 19, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
Took a small detour to drop off DH's forgotten lunch on our way to a play date this morning. Saved $5.50 he'd have spent on lunch otherwise.

We ran the kids around our friends' yard instead of going to open play at gymnastics, saved $3 (less than that since its further to their house, but not much less).

Leftovers for lunch and dinner.

Made homemade applesauce from discounted bruised apples. $2.35 on apples yielded 2 large jars worth of applesauce ($1.79 per jar at Aldi, plus the homemade stuff is better).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8229 on: January 19, 2017, 12:40:27 PM »
A verrrry smallthing:

About a year ago, I started making a pot of tea rather than individual mugs of tea to get maximum value out of my loose tea (thanks to recommendations here)

The pot lasts for hours but each time I pour a new cup, I have to heat it up in the microwave.

Yesterday, I wondered if I could just wrap the teapot in a tea towel to keep the heat in and it works!

Although the savings are negligible, I think the process of continually reasssessing and scaling down have value.  Reminds me of Amy Dacyczyn - she's been on my mind lately from the beatles case study (sigh, sorry to bring that up!)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8230 on: January 19, 2017, 04:19:29 PM »
Husband is travelling for the next two weeks.

He's extending a work trip to catch up with friends overseas, so we're on the hook for a couple of nights' accommodation.

He picked a hotel, sent it to me, and I set about finding the best deal.

Ended up getting a discount and earning frequent flyer points for the stay.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8231 on: January 19, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »
I haven't bragged on my partner recently, so be prepared for some sap. He often brings me an apple for a gift. So sweet. The other night he brought me a red pepper. "They were on sale today."  Ah. What a man!

MarioMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8232 on: January 19, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
My wife and I went to Aldi's for the first time.

Hopefully this ends up being a big thing.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #8233 on: January 20, 2017, 01:28:14 AM »
Bought a slightly cheaper can of cat food to try on the cat, and she liked it!

My cat has gotten to the point where she only eats the expensive Fancy Feast. When she doesn't like something she will not eat all day. Over the years I have tried everything else in the grocery store.

I thought that cats do not change their preference, but I guess they do. I tried a can of the second tier Fancy Feast, which was also a mushier texture than what she has been eating. Would not touch it the last time I tried it around 2 years ago. Today she ate the whole thing.

Every week there will be a new experiment can to see how low we can go now.

I think your cat is purposefully and maliciously gaslighting you. It likes the food just as much as it did last time - but it can't let you know that, because if it can cause you to doubt your own memory and judgment, you will finally be fully under it's control.

I like the response: experiment with the poor critter. Keep it on its toes. Don't let it have the upper hand.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8234 on: January 20, 2017, 07:10:02 AM »
I like the response: experiment with the poor critter. Keep it on its toes. Don't let it have the upper hand.

Too late. I am only one more cat away from becoming a retirement cliche. Now GET OFF MY LAWN!

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8235 on: January 20, 2017, 10:23:24 AM »
Revived about 100 markers that dried up when somebody left the caps off (kids suck!)

Used water in a cup for water-based ink, rubbing alcohol in a paper cup for permanent markers.

http://www.wikihow.com/Revive-Dried-Out-Markers

SimpleCycle

• Bristles
« Reply #8236 on: January 20, 2017, 10:44:18 AM »
Wanted a drink from the convenience store in my work building, but chose free work coffee and water instead.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8237 on: January 20, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
Normally I end the work week by going to a local watering hole with some friends each friday since more than a decade.  This was the first time in a long time when I skipped it without "legitimate cause" - I cooked at home instead.  Feels a bit antisocial... but probably good for both wallet and health.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8238 on: January 20, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
Yesterday, I wondered if I could just wrap the teapot in a tea towel to keep the heat in and it works!

A couple of years back I saw pictures of people at sidewalk cafes in China drinking tea from thermoses, so I tried making my tea in a thermos instead of a teapot. Never going back! Stays warm for ages.

Of course, you need to have a thermos just sitting around...
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8239 on: January 20, 2017, 02:00:34 PM »
Continuing my freezer draw down! We're half empty now. I'm going to have to start getting *really* creative for some of the meats (we end up with a lot of strong fish and organ meats, so they can be hard to work through). But, it's our lowest grocery spending EVER this month, so that's exciting!

NV Teacher

• Bristles
« Reply #8240 on: January 20, 2017, 04:33:40 PM »
I let my boss pay for lunch today.  Saved me $10.

MrsTuxedocat

• Stubble
« Reply #8241 on: January 20, 2017, 08:40:08 PM »
- Visited a friend at home rather than going. Brought over stuff that I already had in my fridge
- The friend has cheaper gas near her house and filled up the car

alewpanda

• Stubble
« Reply #8242 on: January 20, 2017, 10:17:34 PM »
Didn't leave the house today except to walk the dogs.  Stayed home and spent no money.

Made leftovers from the last dinner into a new dinner for tonight.  It was some really good quesadillas with the other night's fajitas fillings. 

Created plans for an inexpensive standing desk that we will buy supplies for tomorrow and start building.  Its way cheaper than buying something in the size/with storage, that we need.

Switched to Ting mid-month.  Am hoping that by keeping my data usage in particular down, that my bill will be less than PagePlus was each month...or at least the same.  Ting was literally chosen because no one else would support a "small phone" (aka, not nearly 7 inches long), and I HAD to replace my old one.  Galaxy S5 mini from ebay, and a new Ting account was the solution.  Hopefully it works out.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8243 on: January 21, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »
I made a huge batch of beef stew for dinner even though I'm knocked down by a cold atm. Did it in stages: first the carrots, celery and onions. A while later, mixed up the "sauce." And then later still, after being out at kids activities, threw in the beef and diced up the potatoes. Family declared it delicious while I curled up on the couch with a box of kleenex.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8244 on: January 21, 2017, 12:18:19 AM »
I'm spending the day reading at home, drinking down my tea stocks and eating meals at home.

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #8245 on: January 21, 2017, 04:04:49 AM »
Took advantage of work-provided morning tea 3 days this week, so I didn't need to take much for lunch.

Made my own hummus, blending chickpeas, oil, garlic, lemon and salt. Waaaaaaaaay too much garlic apparently, but it is tasty! Pairing it with on sale cucumber and carrot for work snacks.

Was planning to buy new work shoes but decided to suck it up as wear out the two non-preferred pairs I have first.

Instead of a holiday this break, DH and I stayed at a relatives place to watch their pet while they were out of town. Beautiful beachside setting, we spent $50 on some nice groceries and that was it! Peaceful and perfect.

Committed to staying at my workplace for 6 more months, instead of jumping ship now. I have unpaid leave booked from June-Dec, and it is way more sensible to wait, save like crazy, consider a CC course to pick up some skills, and then look for a new job (with the security of going back to my hated job if the new job doesnt work out). I'm counting the work days (97!) down, but it is the best option.

We are on the tail end of a heatwave- DS and I have been taking freezer blocks to bed so it is cool enough to get to sleep.

I've been abusing my sodastream lately, making 5-6 bottles a day, half finishing them and leaving them lying around, then making new fizzy water rather than drinking the old. I'm forcing myself to finish each one before I make another, which is encouraging me to put them in the fridge.
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8246 on: January 21, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
As part of my attempt to keep waste down to a minimum, when I was out of coffee, I grabbed the empty bag and headed to Sprouts and re-filled it with more beans.  While checking out, I mentioned to the cashier that I had started re-using my coffee bags and she gave me a bag credit!  Haha, only 2 cents, but still, saves a bit of money and reduces waste?  Nice.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:55:30 PM by tyort1 »
Frugalite in training.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8247 on: January 21, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »
- Cold-washed, line-dried washing (with most of it pegged inside out to avoid fading)
- Bought a birthday present for a friend, $25 online including shipping, compared with $50 at the first place I looked
- Bought a packet of mints to refill the little tin I keep in my desk drawer at work ($2 for a tin versus $1.20 for a bag of mints that will refill the tin five times)*

* This falls under the category my husband calls 'Don't tell people you do that!' Oops. I told people. :)

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:10:56 PM by mustachepungoeshere »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8248 on: January 21, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »
Bought some frozen fish that my wife turns into nice fish and chips (I do the chips).

Got home. Noticed the fish was $0.99 instead of $5.99! Went back and got 4 more packets (and told the store; I'm guessing it's an error from when they had old stock fish on sale a month ago).
Tangerine Canada $50 free chequing sign up bonus, use Orange Key: 48322202S1

PayTM on Android/iOS - Pay property tax/bills with credit card for free (for the time being!). $10 signup bonus, use referral: PTM9691063. Alternative to Plastiq, great for reaching minimum spend.

Amex Canada referral - $350+ in sign up bonuses

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #8249 on: January 22, 2017, 12:22:24 PM »
All meals at home. Made the kids some chocolate chip cookies. I had bought some extra baking supplies around the holidays. Just a nice, lazy no spend day.