Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020702 times)

peppermint

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #800 on: May 05, 2014, 06:22:49 PM »
Made a giant thing of lentil veggie soup for lunches.

DanielleS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #801 on: May 05, 2014, 07:25:38 PM »
We fulltime in our RV and are staying in San Luis Obispo right now. Today we visited Atascadero, a place with a fascinating history.

I packed us a lovely lunch and some homemade chai vanilla tea, and we had a picnic in a public park (one of our favorite things to do ((especially on weekdays!))) We went to the center of Atascadero and lucked into talking with a wonderful volunteer, who hooked us up with a docent for a free tour of their great restored city hall building. If we hadn't had the docent-led tour we'd have toured the public access areas and walked through downtown.

Then we came back to the RV and I made us a great rice bowl for dinner.

It is mind-boggling how much cash one can save by hardly ever eating out.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #802 on: May 06, 2014, 03:46:27 AM »
Some douche left a shopping trolley on the ramp to the platform at the train station. The train station is 2 minutes away from the supermarket. Shopping trolleys eject £1 coins when you return them to the supermarket.

LiseE

• Stubble
« Reply #803 on: May 06, 2014, 08:18:04 AM »
Drove my SUV without a heavy foot and got 26mpg on my morning commute!  A small miracle ..

welliamwallace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Trying to squeeze out those whiskers
« Reply #804 on: May 06, 2014, 08:52:06 AM »
Sunday night I fried some sausage, eggs, peppers, onions, and rice, and made a dozen breakfast burritos that I stuck in the freezer. I stick one in the fridge each night and microwave it for a minute in the morning for a fantastic high calorie breakfast that fuels my morning bike commute for less than a dollar a meal!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #805 on: May 06, 2014, 09:27:48 AM »
Tonight's dinner is veggie enchiladas, starting with dried beans (save about 75% over the cost of canned; soaked and stored in the freezer every other week). Bought the corn tortillas on sale (Cinco de Mayo store special + coupon) and am using left-over mole for the sauce. Served with Mexican rice (brown rice is cheap-cheap, as is the salsa and turmeric I dump into the boiling water to approximate Mexican rice).

When I was doing my morning tidy-up, I used just a damp cloth instead of any spray cleaners, dusting sprays, etc. When I really did need a cleaner, I used a spray bottle containing water and a couple of shots of ammonia.

When I did laundry, I washed everything with cold water and used just a little detergent. Whites just got turned off mid-cycle to soak, rather than using hot water, more soap, or bleach.

Mrs.FamilyFinances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #806 on: May 06, 2014, 06:37:24 PM »
We went for a walk on Saturday, had ice cream with the in laws, and spent $0 all weekend! For people who tend to get bored when the kids aren't home, I'm proud that we didn't find a project or new restaurant to try!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #807 on: May 06, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »
Realised I hadn't made myself lunch for today, searched through the freezer and found something delicious looking that I will reheat as my lunch surprise :-) it looks like it has veges and cheese so we're off to a good start. This saved me from spending $10 on lunch today.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #808 on: May 08, 2014, 07:13:01 PM »
Every time I break a glass or plate, I've saved money for a friend who is obsessed with mosaic art. Thus, I also save myself the frustration of waste when my butter fingers drop something.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #809 on: May 08, 2014, 07:45:08 PM »
Rode my bike home from work in the rain, for the first time. It wasn't as bad as I was afraid of.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #810 on: May 08, 2014, 10:02:33 PM »
Called Geico and had the rental reimbursement coverage removed from my policy.  Only $2 a month, but since I have a car and a truck, I'm not sure why I ever signed up for it in the first place.

sf_raskol

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #811 on: May 08, 2014, 11:09:28 PM »
1. Found some leftover, separated and slightly-solidified homemade salad dressing in the fridge.  Rather than throw it out, I microwaved it for 20 seconds, stirred it back up until it was beautifully re-emulsified and delicious!

2. Garage door in our apartment building stopped opening properly from the outside.  The only way into the garage is through the automatic door.  Using my wife's better ears, determined that the belt was moving without the door attached.  Manually opened the door and reattached it to the belt, saving a service call!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #812 on: May 09, 2014, 07:26:49 AM »
Every time I break a glass or plate, I've saved money for a friend who is obsessed with mosaic art. Thus, I also save myself the frustration of waste when my butter fingers drop something.

what a lovely symbiotic relationship! we've been saving all our bottle caps for the last three years for a friend who plans to use them to build an art car. it's gonna be a dragon with bottle caps as scales. I hope she actually does it.

I feel like I've been really terrible about saving money lately (sprained my ankle two weeks ago and it's still swollen so I've been driving to work, YUCK) but maybe thinking of a little ordinary thing I do will help. hmm... I ate breakfast at home (total cost <$0.40) and am now drinking free Lipton tea from work. also, we haven't gone out to eat since last Thursday (which was a fundraising dinner) and planning not to all weekend. also, we're on a homemade salad dressing kick which is so delicious and fun and awesome. yay!

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #813 on: May 09, 2014, 07:33:48 AM »
I made steel-cut oatmeal for the first time! It's funny-looking and a little bland, but I spiced it up this morning by adding cinnamon sugar and a wee bit o' butter. Now I just need to figure out how to make a smaller portion - this made so much I'll never be able to eat it before it goes bad... I think.

Anybody know how long cooked oatmeal can last in the fridge? I think I have enough for, like, two weeks of breakfasts with this first batch.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #814 on: May 09, 2014, 07:53:06 AM »
I got a new job which gave me a new Iphone.

I'm porting my personal number to Google Voice so I can use just the one phone.

Kind of annoying that I just switched to Republic 5 mo ago and bought a $300 Moto X. I hope I can at least sell it for a significant percentage of that.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #815 on: May 09, 2014, 07:59:47 AM »
I made steel-cut oatmeal for the first time! It's funny-looking and a little bland, but I spiced it up this morning by adding cinnamon sugar and a wee bit o' butter. Now I just need to figure out how to make a smaller portion - this made so much I'll never be able to eat it before it goes bad... I think.

Anybody know how long cooked oatmeal can last in the fridge? I think I have enough for, like, two weeks of breakfasts with this first batch.

I LOVE steel cut oatmeal but it takes so long to cook. in college, I would cook a bunch on Sunday and then freeze individual servings in ziploc bags. it's easy to peel the bag off, put the chunk of frozen oatmeal in a bowl, and microwave it. mmmmmm. (I am also very liberal with cinnamon and brown sugar in my oatmeal :))

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #816 on: May 09, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »

I LOVE steel cut oatmeal but it takes so long to cook. in college, I would cook a bunch on Sunday and then freeze individual servings in ziploc bags. it's easy to peel the bag off, put the chunk of frozen oatmeal in a bowl, and microwave it. mmmmmm. (I am also very liberal with cinnamon and brown sugar in my oatmeal :))

*smacks forehead*

I will go freeze this big pile of goop in little baggies! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the tip!

I made it in the CrockPot, rocksinmyhead, and it was super easy: 1 cup steel-cut oats, 4.5 cups water, some cinnamon, some brown sugar, a little salt (not enough of any of those, obviously, on this first attempt), and a splash of vanilla extract. I cooked it on high for 3 hours, stirred twice. It gummed up the CrockPot pretty good, but a day of soaking solved that.

It doesn't look like much, but it does taste good, and I like knowing exactly what's in it. :)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #817 on: May 09, 2014, 09:58:47 AM »
Fought the urge to go to breakfast at Starbucks.  I made tea and had a yogurt at work.

Made a friend that will watch our dog instead of boarding her when we travel (future savings $60/night). 

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #818 on: May 09, 2014, 10:53:28 AM »
I was working on homework, and heard toddler playing in the pantry.  No biggie, he likes stacking the canned goods.  I go in there, and he's found a cardboard box, and has filled it with powdered whole milk and rice krispies.  Instead of tossing it, I dumped in all in a bag.  This morning, I added stuff to make pancakes, and they actually turned out really well.  No waste!   

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: May 09, 2014, 10:57:10 AM »

*smacks forehead*

I will go freeze this big pile of goop in little baggies! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the tip!

I made it in the CrockPot, rocksinmyhead, and it was super easy: 1 cup steel-cut oats, 4.5 cups water, some cinnamon, some brown sugar, a little salt (not enough of any of those, obviously, on this first attempt), and a splash of vanilla extract. I cooked it on high for 3 hours, stirred twice. It gummed up the CrockPot pretty good, but a day of soaking solved that.

It doesn't look like much, but it does taste good, and I like knowing exactly what's in it. :)

well thanks for YOUR tip because I never thought of making it in the crockpot, and I'm a total crockpot fiend!! doh! :)

SMC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #820 on: May 09, 2014, 11:58:28 AM »
I'm going out for lunch in about 10 minutes with some university buddies.  I'm currently sitting here in my office scarfing down my lunch that I brought from home, so that way when I meet the guys at the restaurant I can just order a water and not have to pay anything. 

momo5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #821 on: May 09, 2014, 01:50:19 PM »
I went for a walk with a friend today, rather than meet for coffee.
I also sewed up a bunch of cloth napkins (repurposed some of my mil's old flannel bedsheets for this purpose so cost was just thread and 20 min worth of time and electricity).

welliamwallace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Trying to squeeze out those whiskers
« Reply #822 on: May 09, 2014, 02:03:02 PM »
Yesterday I attempted a home plumbing job with no experience instead of calling the serviceman. My Moen bathtub faucet was leaking. Some googling and youtubing taught me that I needed to replace the "cartridge" and how to do it. Even with a few mistakes (one involving smashing the handle with a hammer: $19 replacement, another involving dropping a "retaining clip" behind the wall: $5 replacement), the whole thing cost me $50. Much less than a plumber!

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #823 on: May 09, 2014, 02:08:13 PM »
I canceled a web domain & hosting service for a website that I've neglected all year.  It was going to cost $135 (or thereabouts) to renew, and it was set to auto-renew, so if I'd not been paying attention, it would have renewed next month.  I've been bad in the past about collecting domains and then not using them.... trying to get better at this.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #824 on: May 10, 2014, 03:00:37 AM »

what a lovely symbiotic relationship! we've been saving all our bottle caps for the last three years for a friend who plans to use them to build an art car. it's gonna be a dragon with bottle caps as scales. I hope she actually does it.

...sprained my ankle two weeks ago and it's still swollen so I've been driving to work, YUCK) ...

Bottle cap dragon sounds nice! If she does it, please post a picture.
I've thought about saving the lids on things to make a bottle-top table, but as I did it I began noticing just how many bottles and things I use. It's slightly disturbing. Still, I love the idea of re-purposing common items.

I hope your ankle heals.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #825 on: May 10, 2014, 03:04:26 AM »

I was going to say make savory oatmeal burgers.

bobmarley9993

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #826 on: May 10, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »
Adjusted my bike brakes.

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #827 on: May 10, 2014, 06:34:18 PM »
Smuggled a few cans of soda in my beach bag to the pool - why the hell wold I pay $2.50 for a cup of soda when I can buy it for less then $1/can???  They gave me a cup of ice, I poured my soda in there, and WELLA!  Same shit, better price! :-) 

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #828 on: May 11, 2014, 08:41:20 AM »

I was going to say make savory oatmeal burgers.

I am intrigued, C. K. What are savory oatmeal burgers?

I finished the fridge portions this morning and took two baggies out of the freezer to thaw in the fridge for tomorrow and Tuesday. By adding a little more cinnamon sugar and butter, they taste so good I'm actually looking forward to eating them again in the morning!

Stacheintraining

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #829 on: May 11, 2014, 08:12:54 PM »
Cut my hair for the first time! Should save me ~$250 a year!

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #830 on: May 11, 2014, 08:20:36 PM »

Treat the leftover oatmeal as you would hamburger meat -  add onion, hamburger seasoning (see the recipe below). Then fry or bake. Serve with cheese on a bun.
http://vegweb.com/recipes/pecan-and-oatmeal-pattiesburgers

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #831 on: May 12, 2014, 08:02:33 AM »

Treat the leftover oatmeal as you would hamburger meat -  add onion, hamburger seasoning (see the recipe below). Then fry or bake. Serve with cheese on a bun.
http://vegweb.com/recipes/pecan-and-oatmeal-pattiesburgers

Those look pretty awesome! On the menu for this week. Thanks!

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #832 on: May 12, 2014, 08:15:26 AM »
Actually took a couple of days, but the drain under our kitchen sink starting leaking. Couldn't figure out the problem as it was intermittent, and it was looking like a couple hundred bucks on a plumber.

Kept working on it and figured out it had to do with the disposal, which lead me to figuring out the whole p-trap assembly had worked loose and slipped. Tighten a few nuts and fixed. Nothing like patience to save some money.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #833 on: May 12, 2014, 10:18:30 AM »
I am a new mustachian so I have alot of work to do...but just needed to crow a little:

We migrated our family Sprint phone plan to Ting!  I estimate a cost savings of 50% per month

Told our boys that "sure they could add any phone they buy themselves to our family plan" insted of getting locked into the Sprint upgrade 2-yr extension and locked them out of Data usage.  Saved $150 per boy (there are 3)

Left early enough to skip the toll road...$5 one way saved!

Cut up my S-bux card!

Brought lunch and breakfast from home!

I love not spending money...student loan repayment, here we come!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #834 on: May 12, 2014, 11:00:37 AM »
nice work CheapskateWife!

right now I'm eatin' a salad at my desk with homemade Italian dressing and IT'S SO GOOD.

also have dinner planned for tonight, and it involves fun pasta shapes because the good brand of pasta (with a greater variety of shapes) was on sale this week for $1/lb!! yeehaw! :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #835 on: May 12, 2014, 06:15:55 PM »
fixed a run in my work tights with clear nail polish (thankfully, the run is not in a visible part of the tights). Not a permanent fix, but will extend the life of these tights dramatically!

I get so frustrated with how short the lifespans on tights/stockings are!

Buy two when you buy them, then cut off one leg when it runs more than you can salvage. Wear the other until it happens to them, too. Then cut off it's ruined leg and wear the two together so that you still have tow legs.

Or do what I do and wear nothing but pants. Much more comfortable, lets you run if you need to.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #836 on: May 12, 2014, 06:31:34 PM »
Had an errand 40 minutes away, and rather than assume there would be take-out when we got home too late to cook, I charged my teenager with making dinner. Whole grain penne with broccoli and sauce, ready just a few minutes after we got back. Not bad!

I made my week's grocery list this morning, then did the shopping. Because of the stash of less-expensive Costco foods at the start of the month, I spent just $38 on this week's trip. There are 5 of us.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #837 on: May 12, 2014, 11:34:44 PM »
fixed a run in my work tights with clear nail polish (thankfully, the run is not in a visible part of the tights). Not a permanent fix, but will extend the life of these tights dramatically!

I feel like sort of a jerk for making this recommendation, but Spanx tights pretty much never run or snag. Yeah, they cost a ridiculous $25 or so, but I've had my two pairs for a couple of years. I am not exaggerating, I've really had them that long. And I wear them all the time. That's my 2 cents.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #838 on: May 13, 2014, 09:12:38 AM »

I feel like sort of a jerk for making this recommendation, but Spanx tights pretty much never run or snag. Yeah, they cost a ridiculous $25 or so, but I've had my two pairs for a couple of years. I am not exaggerating, I've really had them that long. And I wear them all the time. That's my 2 cents.

But that is amazing! Just buy them a size larger so more comfortable?

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #839 on: May 13, 2014, 04:04:55 PM »
Today I cut my own hair for the first time. I've done "maintenance trims" and I already cut everyone elses hair in the family, but this is the first time I've done a full cut on myself. It turned out pretty good and I saved $60! I used thinning shears which made the whole thing far less intimidating.

Begonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #840 on: May 14, 2014, 02:15:35 PM »
I switched from Verizon to Page Plus Cellular today, saving over $50 per month. It was pretty easy and feels great! That monthly  $50 is going straight to my emergency fund until I reach my goal of a 6-month 'stache.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #841 on: May 14, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
Over the past 3 days experimented with weighing the coffee I use in the french press.  Discovered no taste benefit using 1.25 oz vs 1.00 ounces of beans for 32oz water.  If coffee is 10$/lb:

1 pot x 1oz x 62.5 cents / oz x 300 days = 187$/year on coffee.  (~65 days a year not making coffee for one reason or other)

That's versus

1 x 1.25 x 62.5 x 300 = $234

Saving approximately  $47/year.

Stealing this idea. Genius.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #842 on: May 14, 2014, 08:16:41 PM »
Over the past 3 days experimented with weighing the coffee I use in the french press.  Discovered no taste benefit using 1.25 oz vs 1.00 ounces of beans for 32oz water.  If coffee is 10$/lb:

1 pot x 1oz x 62.5 cents / oz x 300 days = 187$/year on coffee.  (~65 days a year not making coffee for one reason or other)

That's versus

1 x 1.25 x 62.5 x 300 = $234

Saving approximately  $47/year.

Stealing this idea. Genius.

+1.

I have an automatic machine that grinds the beans (it was a gift!). I've change the strength from 3 beans to 2 beans (no idea what that means either...) and can't taste a noticeable difference.

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #843 on: May 14, 2014, 09:38:41 PM »
We went out for dinner, BUT, we had our one drink before we left the house!  (we were totally fine to drive).  Alcohol is so overpriced in restaurants it makes me crazy to pay their prices!  So we had our drink then drove the 5 miles for dinner! 

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #844 on: May 15, 2014, 07:02:17 AM »
Yesterday morning, I took the car to the dealership to have a recall issue taken care of. They told me that the rear brake pads needed replacing. It normally cost $200-something, but they had a coupon that would bring it down to $180-something. Instead, I brought it to my neighborhood mechanic afterward and walked home. He verified that they did need replacing, and charged me $140 to do it.

Last night's dinner was carrot soup drizzled with sriracha, kale salad, and whole grain rolls. The math works out to about $1.10/person ($5.50 total), even if I'd bought everything brand new just for this meal, which I didn't. I only bought the kale. Everything else was left over or about to turn bad, or incidental condiments. I also have two quarts of soup and two rolls left over to use as lunch today. If I'd bought everything pre-made (stock, pre-cut kale, rolls), it would have been closer to $2.50 ($12.50 total)

Tonight, we'll have black bean and brown rice burritos, which will include various chopped left-over veggies and herbs. The beans were dried and the tortillas were on deep discount for Cinco de Mayo. Price per person is about 60 cents.

LiseE

• Stubble
« Reply #845 on: May 15, 2014, 08:25:21 AM »
New to the Mustachian business. Spouse and I have ordered pizza I think every Friday for the last 15 years. It gets me out of cooking dinner and provides Spouse with leftovers for lunch over the weekend. But, $30. So this Thursday I made some pizza dough & sauce and left the 2 balls of dough in the fridge to rise overnight. On Friday I rolled 1 ball out and topped and baked it. It was not wonderful, so Spouse & I conferred and made some changes, and I baked the 2nd ball for Spouse's lunch on Saturday. Better, but still not as good as delivery. He had the remaining leftovers for lunch today, so that counts toward today's savings. But I'm determined to get it right. If anyone has tips for homemade pizza, I'm all ears.

Stick with it!  We also switched from ordering pizza on Friday nights to making our own dough and gravy (sauce for you non-italians!) .. we love changing it up with toppings.  I used some left over pesto to top one pizza and it was delish!  I've been trying different dough recipes and I think we're just getting it right after 4 weeks of trying.

:)

Breaker

• Stubble
« Reply #846 on: May 15, 2014, 09:06:28 AM »
I gave my dogs a bath and brush.  After talking to a friend who complained that taking his Golden in for a Bath and Brush + Nail trim cost a lot of $$$.  I hooked the hose up to the sink in the garage.  It has hot water and gave all the dogs a bath in the driveway. 

Jan

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #847 on: May 15, 2014, 02:40:59 PM »
Since Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP, today I installed Ubuntu (with the help of a friend) so I don't have to upgrade my computer and/or buy more Microsoft software!  Not an original idea, but I'm still proud. 

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #848 on: May 16, 2014, 05:35:40 AM »
I hooked the hose up to the sink in the garage.  It has hot water and gave all the dogs a bath in the driveway. 

Jan

OMG -- why didn't I ever think of doing this???  I've been giving mine a bath in the bathtub in our only bathroom and it's such a mess!  Now that it's getting warmer I am definitely doing this.  Thanks for the idea!!

alibean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #849 on: May 16, 2014, 09:48:41 PM »
I signed my contract to be a school nurse next school year- all but eliminating our need for child care during the summer.  Plus, a benefit of working for the district is that I get 20% off any before or after school care we might need.  Hopefully, in the next year or so, I'll be able to transfer to my kids' school and eliminate the need for child care completely. 

I have also been working _very_ part-time so I'll have about 4x the income I had previously.  Biggest change will be working on my time management making sure we continue to eat most of our meals at home.