Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2006509 times)

PMG

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7800 on: December 03, 2016, 06:46:56 PM »
I altered a long sleeve shirt my sis in law gave me and made a pillow case out of scrap fabric I from my grandparents attic. Both filled needs for free.

Spent all day at home.

Went over my bank accounts and credit cards, not unusual, but still an important step to saving money!

Cashed out ibotta money.

BetsyS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7801 on: December 03, 2016, 07:50:24 PM »
Switched to all cash for my weekly grocery shopping. I looked back over my budget for the last few months and realized this part was the biggest hole to plug. So far, so good! And it felt nice to not have to try and do as much math in my head over several days. If it's not in my wallet, it's not there.

NV Teacher

• Bristles
« Reply #7802 on: December 04, 2016, 08:42:19 AM »
I made it all the way to December 4th without turning on the furnace.  These last two weeks have been the toughest as the inside temps have been in the low to mid 50's. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #7803 on: December 04, 2016, 08:51:46 AM »
I made it all the way to December 4th without turning on the furnace.  These last two weeks have been the toughest as the inside temps have been in the low to mid 50's.

Wow... that is pretty badass!
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7804 on: December 04, 2016, 03:17:48 PM »
For a while (like, a good four or five years) I've wanted to buy a full-length mirror for the guest room at a friend's house.

Long story, and it's hard to justify the expense.

Some family members are in the process of downsizing and mentioned they had sold one mirror on eBay and were tossing the other one because it wasn't worth selling.

I claimed it, and they delivered it in less than 24 hours. It has some marks on it, but it still mirrors things perfectly.

Saved $30+.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #7805 on: December 04, 2016, 04:16:51 PM »
Talked DH out of going out forbreakfast even though he had a coupon for a free birthday meal.  No second meal and coffee purchase, tip and gas saved

Picked 5 grocery bags full of veggies from the garden today since lows will be in the teens by Tuesday.  No need to buy any veggies for a couple weeks. Roasting a big batch of the root veggies and a batch of green soup is going in the Instant pot.

Using a bottle of nasty beer to braise a pot roast

Used a  $5 off 10 coupon at Target to buy some essential lady things.

Helped DH install a new LED  bathroom light that was like $30 from Costco

Brought firewood up to the house so I can lower heating costs on days I teleworking.  The wood is from trees we had on the property

Maintained my leather shoes and boots to make them last longer

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7806 on: December 04, 2016, 05:12:50 PM »
Altered another free shirt and hemmed a pair of pants from my sister in law.

Hemmed a piece of wool into a curtain to cover my drafty window. Not gonna win any designer awards, but it was free and will work until I find a better solution.

Have laundry drying in front of the heater.

Cooked up a big pot of beans.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7807 on: December 04, 2016, 05:24:37 PM »
Went to a tree farm for our christmas tree, where they're cheaper than the in town tree lots- plus we can pick out own. Didn't pay for the bundling, since it fit just fine in the bed of the truck and we could carry it just fine. Used hand me down ornaments- nostalgia bonus for when family is here over the holidays. Didn't buy any of the tasty food or drinks at the tree farm, even though I was very tempted- in spite of rain jackets and boots, we got soaked in the (cold) pouring rain. Made getting home feel great though!

Batch cooking for the insane week ahead: Husband has finals for his masters classes (12 credits this term, wrapping up! Only one term to go!!!), then goes straight to another state for work. And I'll be doing 3 14hr days in a row. So we're cooking: pork carnitas with rice, tuna cakes with pesto, brussel sprouts, bacon (to mix with eggs for breakfast), and fajitas. Just have the bacon left to go, and a couple things to pack once they're cool. Neither husband nor I have had to buy food out for work or school in many months.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #7808 on: December 05, 2016, 09:43:41 AM »
We had a fancy work do on Saturday and was tempted to go out afterwards for a nice dinner as the husband and I were all gussied up, resisted and ate leftovers at home instead.

Wrapped presents with paper and ribbons already had in my home, despite all the gorgeous paper and boxes in stores right now.

We bought a fake tree five years ago (on sale). After setting it up this year we realized that a section of lights isn't working. My husband wanted to ditch the tree and get a new one, I convinced him to just rotate the burned out section to the back. Last night he noticed that a big middle section of our tree is burnt out too so he wants us to get a new one next year. We just decided to hold off on house buying next year, so I asked if he would rather wait until we moved so we could get a tree to fit the space in our new home. Rinse and repeat. :)

To cheer up our rather droopy looking tree, I decided we needed a tree skirt. Looking in stores showed that they run around $50- $60. No way, says I! Find some lovely cream suede and forest green flannel in the red dot bin at Joann's and bought some felt. I have a new reversible tree skirt with a mistletoe border for $15. This will least us years and years and our tree looks so lovely and chic.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #7809 on: December 05, 2016, 01:54:47 PM »
Over the weekend I made two batches of broth in the pressure cooker from roasted turkey bones and scraps that I had saved in the freezer. I pressure cooked a first batch with onion, carrot, parsley stems and pepper corns for 45 minutes. After straining that batch, I put the meat and bones back in the pressure cooker with a dash of apple cider vinegar and covered with water again for another 25 minutes at pressure. I froze the first batch after cooling it as it was quite gelatinous, and the second lot I put in a large glass milk bottle in the fridge for cooking rice and beans in.

I only recently found out you can reboil the bones for a second batch of broth.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7810 on: December 05, 2016, 03:45:41 PM »
Sold an item on eBay, made $125.

I ordered a couple of Christmas presents online last week and they arrived broken. I contacted the company, yesterday they refunded the money and asked me to 'dispose of' the items. Pffft, no. I'm just giving them out to friends I wouldn't normally buy for.

MPP: brought home some brown paper from work to use as packing material for Christmas presents. Found it in the garbage this morning, covered in egg shells. Husband thought it was rubbish. :(

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7811 on: December 05, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
Found a coupon code that saved us $16 on registration for our town's upcoming 5k race. We will be competing as a family.

Put my Hulu account on hold for the holidays, and dropped Netflix down to one screen. This will save about $10.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #7812 on: December 05, 2016, 03:54:47 PM »
Had an all-day sports thing this past Saturday and often end up buying lunch and/or snacks out at a sandwich or fast food place.  Instead I planned ahead, baked cookies the day before, made a sandwich, and packed a day's worth of healthy snacks to bring with me.  Cheaper, easier, healthier, and more convenient the day-of.  Quadruple win!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7813 on: December 05, 2016, 04:06:51 PM »
Packed up a bunch of old DVDs and video games to sell back to Amazon +$50
Donated three bags of clothing and other DVDs that Amazon didn't want
Called a present truce with my sister and her SO for Christmas (saved ~$100 plus the hassle of shopping for something)
Packed breakfast, lunch, and snacks

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7814 on: December 05, 2016, 05:13:32 PM »
Had a 60 cent gas discount from our local grocery store, so coordinated with husband so we could get the allowable 20 gallons (across 2 cars and a portable tank...) since neither of our car takes that much gas.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7815 on: December 05, 2016, 05:26:08 PM »

I ordered a couple of Christmas presents online last week and they arrived broken. I contacted the company, yesterday they refunded the money and asked me to 'dispose of' the items. Pffft, no. I'm just giving them out to friends I wouldn't normally buy for.

The Grinch is alive and well at your house, giving broken things to people?

(Maybe they aren't broke. Beyond use, I dunno. It just sounds pretty grinchy. "Hey I got you a gift!" "Oh wow, thanks, you don't usually buy me a gift....oh... It's broken..."  "Hahaaaa!")

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7816 on: December 05, 2016, 05:28:41 PM »

The Grinch is alive and well at your house, giving broken things to people?

(Maybe they aren't broke. Beyond use, I dunno. It just sounds pretty grinchy. "Hey I got you a gift!" "Oh wow, thanks, you don't usually buy me a gift....oh... It's broken..."  "Hahaaaa!")

I do a white elephant exchange with a certain group of friends. Because these items were refunded, they are technically free, making them eligible for the exchange. ;)

Edited to add: the gifts in question are consumable, so their brokenness in no way reduces their effectiveness, they're just not as pretty as they should be.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 05:30:47 PM by mustachepungoeshere »

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7817 on: December 05, 2016, 08:01:59 PM »
Mustachepungoeshere, Consumables. I see!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #7818 on: December 05, 2016, 09:23:10 PM »
Listed ten items on eBay.  Hopefully at least a couple will sell!

alewpanda

• Stubble
« Reply #7819 on: December 05, 2016, 09:43:23 PM »
My motivation to pay off the last of our consumer debt (the car) has rubbed off on hubby!

He has started or completed the process of claiming some random funds from old accounts/hsa's that are no longer active.
He listed a couple items on ebay.
He made the suggestion that we try to pay off the vehicle within the year, and helped create opportunities within the budget to make this happen (this is a huge step!). 
He sold a bunch of pc game related stuff.
He is re-evaluating our insurance providers again.

Yay!

Me:

Listed several items on local facebook sites.
Avoiding the thrift stores.
Claimed cc rewards. 
Packed leftovers for our lunches.
Avoiding our normal "winter netflix subscription" so far -- been borrowing movies from friends who are movie buffs, and hitting up the library and the free amazon movies with our prime account.  Also hitting up the gym consistently helps avoid the temptation to veg on the couch...
Tossed a Christmas bonus into savings.
Used gym wifi for my music streaming to avoid taxing my limited data.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7820 on: December 05, 2016, 09:55:28 PM »
Signed up for the Frugalwoods Uber Frugal Month Challenge for January! Very excited. Here's the post for those interested: http://www.frugalwoods.com/2016/12/05/lets-take-the-uber-frugal-month-challenge-together/
There's a facebook group for added accountability.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7821 on: December 05, 2016, 10:03:29 PM »
My motivation to pay off the last of our consumer debt (the car) has rubbed off on hubby!

He has started or completed the process of claiming some random funds from old accounts/hsa's that are no longer active.
He listed a couple items on ebay.
He made the suggestion that we try to pay off the vehicle within the year, and helped create opportunities within the budget to make this happen (this is a huge step!). 
He sold a bunch of pc game related stuff.
He is re-evaluating our insurance providers again.

Yay!

Me:

Listed several items on local facebook sites.
Avoiding the thrift stores.
Claimed cc rewards. 
Packed leftovers for our lunches.
Avoiding our normal "winter netflix subscription" so far -- been borrowing movies from friends who are movie buffs, and hitting up the library and the free amazon movies with our prime account.  Also hitting up the gym consistently helps avoid the temptation to veg on the couch...
Tossed a Christmas bonus into savings.
Used gym wifi for my music streaming to avoid taxing my limited data.

You guys are killing it!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7822 on: December 06, 2016, 01:44:28 AM »
The last few days:

-baked a pan of buns for a family gathering instead of buying them
-packed a lunch when I took the kids on a field trip
-made stock out of chicken bones and put in 1 cup freezer bags
-have reined in my Christmas spending this year by probably 50%
-a bunch of books from the library that I ordered in came in this week
-dug out our old Christmas movies to watch (Charlie Brown, Elf, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer) instead of buying a new one today
-ordered 2 Christmas movies from the library that we don't own (Christmas Vacation & Prep and Landing)
-ditto for Christmas music - our library has a great selection

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #7823 on: December 06, 2016, 03:52:40 AM »
-Put my whole holiday bonus into savings (45%SR this week- yay!).
-Resisted the siren song of Indian takeaway, bought tofu instead to make a curry-leftovers for lunch
-Did a survey with my health insurance provider, which reduced my premiums by $5/month.
-Regifted two boxes of chocolate I can't eat as game prizes at work, rather than buying
 -Unintentionally kept my month-long contacts for 6 weeks (missed my phone reminder to replace).
-Made dinner for 3 (burritos) with one chicken breast, bulking it up with beans and slaw).
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
« Reply #7824 on: December 06, 2016, 05:02:27 AM »
The boss shouted the team lunch at a pasta/pizza restaurant so saved my home-made salad for tomorrow!

As an added bonus, the pizza took 1 hour to be served, I complained, and we were given 50% off the bill! hurrah!
xx Miss Piggy

-----
The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
https://theearnestaddiction.wordpress.com/

brute

• Bristles
« Reply #7825 on: December 06, 2016, 08:06:42 AM »
Got a replacement hose for my gas grill rather than replacing it. The grill can be finicky, but still has a lot of life left, so $7 to keep it running for another few years instead of $800 for a comparable new one.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7826 on: December 06, 2016, 04:35:48 PM »
Signed up for the Frugalwoods Uber Frugal Month Challenge for January! Very excited. Here's the post for those interested: http://www.frugalwoods.com/2016/12/05/lets-take-the-uber-frugal-month-challenge-together/
There's a facebook group for added accountability.

I've created a thread for this on Throw Down The Gauntlet, because I like this forum better than FB ;-)

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7827 on: December 06, 2016, 07:14:23 PM »
Really small things today:

Brewed coffee and poured it into a large travel mug to keep warm instead of leaving the coffeemaker on.
Substituted extra mozzarella in a mac & cheese recipe for more-expensive asiago.
DH has to stay at work overnight so I send him with two days' worth of packed meals and snacks this morning.
Asked my neighbor to throw some holey wool sweaters in with her laundry to felt them as my front loader doesn't agitate enough and I didn't want to drag my toddler to the laundromat.

Icecreamarsenal

• Bristles
  • Set me free
« Reply #7828 on: December 06, 2016, 08:39:54 PM »
Do y'all invest the difference right away?  Sometimes I'll throw the $7.99 or whatever the amount is right into the vanguard account.

Erma

• Stubble
« Reply #7829 on: December 07, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »
Our raclette grill broke when we moved. Today I was able to fix it.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #7830 on: December 07, 2016, 01:10:55 PM »
Our raclette grill broke when we moved. Today I was able to fix it.

Ahh shoot - Frugalsaver is trying hard to get rid of one.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The MILFY Way to FIRE
« Reply #7831 on: December 07, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »
Googled info on why my front windshield washer spray thingies might not be working, read up, popped the hood and found that one of the hoses wouldn't stay connected to the T-shaped thingy. My son brought me a role of electrical tape and voila! Fixed.

Grabbed leftover salad from a work function, took it home and served it with pasta for dinner.

A friend sent me a code for a free box from HelloFresh. We'll be making those this weekend.

Another friend sent me a code for a free box from BlueApron. Ordered that today and it'll be arriving next week. (Also set reminders to turn off the automatic shipments following the freebies.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7832 on: December 08, 2016, 09:46:38 AM »
Replacing our appliances on our own. I held the old built-in microwave as husband worked the base off the rusted bracket (17 year old microwave!). Made me glad I've been weight lifting all year!

Let's see if I keep feeling this good about myself as we:
-pull out the dishwasher
-pull out the stove
-cut back the counters and cabinets for the new stove
-install new dishwasher, stove, and microwave

Ready, set, go!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7833 on: December 08, 2016, 11:10:56 AM »
- a scarf I bought in 1987 is back in style!

- found a Gatorade water bottle on a playground (the green refillable type) and so brought it home and washed it up for my sporty boys (ETA photo)

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:29:48 PM by 1967mama »

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7834 on: December 08, 2016, 03:19:52 PM »
Just bought one of those for $4 at Dicks.  Can keep it on the net without worrying about leakage (roller hockey, so water on floor = not good).  So $4 vs. risk of serious leg injury to me or others was the calculus on that one.
Link to my journal, so I can find it quickly - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/dandarc's-journal/

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #7835 on: December 08, 2016, 05:35:39 PM »
Replacing our appliances on our own. I held the old built-in microwave as husband worked the base off the rusted bracket (17 year old microwave!). Made me glad I've been weight lifting all year!

-pull out the dishwasher
-pull out the stove

Ready, set, go!

Congrats!  I did our dishwasher last year with my father-in-law (and some help from our three year old).  It was surprisingly successful.  (I'm not much for plumbing.  Electrical I like.  Plumbing, not so much.)  I suspect you'll be victorious. :)
--
no-nonsense interest calculators, fast enough for mobile:
https://www.angio.net/finance/calc.html

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7836 on: December 08, 2016, 05:51:45 PM »

-pull out the dishwasher
-pull out the stove

Ready, set, go!

Congrats!  I did our dishwasher last year with my father-in-law (and some help from our three year old).  It was surprisingly successful.  (I'm not much for plumbing.  Electrical I like.  Plumbing, not so much.)  I suspect you'll be victorious. :)

Thank you for the vote of confidence!

Current update: all appliances are removed, and new appliances delivered and unboxed. Small surprise: old range was direct wired to a junction box vs having a plug. Luckily DH is an electrical engineer haha. So far so good. Had an annoyance with the dishwasher where non-standard size fittings were used, and were bracketed into place on the inside of an enclosed cabinet. Had to pull out the copper water supply to get the old hose out so we could replace it, then run the copper back through. This would be easier if there weren't two cabinets and a corner in between. And now this is on hold, because FIL showed up with tools to cut down the cabinets so we can go from a drop-in range to a slide-in range.

Glad I bought hot dogs and we have a grill! I have a feeling the kitchen will NOT be reassembled for dinnertime, lol.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7837 on: December 08, 2016, 06:54:39 PM »
Home today. Leftovers for lunch and no train travel.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7838 on: December 08, 2016, 08:27:13 PM »
Hung a pretty quilt over my window and rigged up a covering for the bathroom window. I'm in a tiny old rented studio.  The windows are single pane and leak like crazy. I am worried I'll miss daylight too much, but I also want to be warm!  I pinned ribbons to the curtains so I can tie them back easily in the morning. I'm struggling with it a bit. A blanket of the window feels so poor and looks so shabby. Looks like failure.  Ugh!  Why does it matter to me?  Right now I don't have extra money to spend on heat and if I did it would be stupid to spend unnecessarily. Not to mention wasting energy is really bad for the environment. Why am I so emotional about it?

I've been wanting another pillow for propping on the bed, not sleeping. I was using a blanket folded in a pillow case, but it wasn't really big enough (and now it's on the window) so tonight I made a bed sized pillow form out of a piece of an old sheet. I stuffed my big fluffy sleeping bag in it and the put a pillowcase over it.  Perfect and free. As I mentioned, it's a tiny apartment, I am quite fond of nonconventional storage.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7839 on: December 09, 2016, 05:17:11 AM »
Hung a pretty quilt over my window and rigged up a covering for the bathroom window. I'm in a tiny old rented studio.  The windows are single pane and leak like crazy. I am worried I'll miss daylight too much, but I also want to be warm!  I pinned ribbons to the curtains so I can tie them back easily in the morning. I'm struggling with it a bit. A blanket of the window feels so poor and looks so shabby. Looks like failure.  Ugh!  Why does it matter to me?  Right now I don't have extra money to spend on heat and if I did it would be stupid to spend unnecessarily. Not to mention wasting energy is really bad for the environment. Why am I so emotional about it?

I've been wanting another pillow for propping on the bed, not sleeping. I was using a blanket folded in a pillow case, but it wasn't really big enough (and now it's on the window) so tonight I made a bed sized pillow form out of a piece of an old sheet. I stuffed my big fluffy sleeping bag in it and the put a pillowcase over it.  Perfect and free. As I mentioned, it's a tiny apartment, I am quite fond of nonconventional storage.

For the drafty windows, how about sewing draft blockers? Or we often use rolled up towels to block air from coming in at windows and doorways. But even if the blanket over the window is ugly, I like the idea. I imagine it would be the most effective!

The pillow/sleeping bag storage idea is a great one!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7840 on: December 09, 2016, 07:01:04 AM »
I've been sick as a dog this week (REALLY bad cold - like, coughin up chunks of stuff in rainbow colors kind of cold. Epic sore throat. No voice at all for 2 days so far.) and I'm pregnant, so my options for medication are... fairly limited. Normally, this would be a prime excuse to spend money on things that feel better.

- Spent 13$ on the 2 medications I didn't have that I could actually use and did actually make a difference to my well-being (spray decongestant and throat numbing spray, both used VERY sparingly). Worth every damned penny omg.
- Emailed in sick from work and used (paid) sick days to deal with being ill instead of forcing every ounce of energy out of myself and prolonging the illness.
- Asked my husband to do all the at-home work and toddler-care in the evenings while I keeled over in bed at like 7pm (seriously, I feel pathetic about how bad I feel)
- Opened up the stash of freezer meals and avoided any take-out expenses
- Actually reduced the overall grocery bill via use of freezer meals and super super basic meals (like, last night - tossed the last of the carrots, celery, and onions into the food processor, dumped them in a pot with some chicken broth from the freezer and some noodles. Chicken noodle soup for dinner. Anyone wanting anything more complicated is FREE to cook themselves, I'm gonna go lie down because that was enough to make me lightheaded.)

Basically, as far as being completely ineffective and incapacitated for like 50% of the week? I did ok.

And credit to Husband for basically being like 'I've got this, you're sick, go to bed' and doing 100% of everything in the house without a single word of complaint. That helps. A lot.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7841 on: December 09, 2016, 07:29:56 AM »
@Kitsune - I had a similar cold I caught near the end of October - horrid and tenacious! It took 5 weeks at least to mostly recover. The worst part was a barking cough that would NOT go away. That took me to the doctor twice (codeine cough syrup did nothing). I lost my voice for 2.5 - 3 weeks.  I hope you do not have that cold.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7842 on: December 09, 2016, 07:46:21 AM »
@Kitsune - I had a similar cold I caught near the end of October - horrid and tenacious! It took 5 weeks at least to mostly recover. The worst part was a barking cough that would NOT go away. That took me to the doctor twice (codeine cough syrup did nothing). I lost my voice for 2.5 - 3 weeks.  I hope you do not have that cold.

Ugh, sounds miserable...

I don't think that's what I have. I'm ONLY coughing to cough up the mucus that's accumulating in my lungs (... which is to be encouraged, because we like not drowning in mucus, but gawd, so gross). And I'm starting to feel a bit better.

Seriously, though: life would be significantly improved with some decent cough syrup, a fistful of anti-inflammatoires (that'd help with my throat being swollen), and, for night, some Neocitran (to the horror of all pharmacists, I know... but it basically punches your symptoms and knocks you right out and after 12 hours of reasonably restful sleep you feel a bit better!) but I'm all knocked up, so NONE of that is available. I never thought I'd miss Advil so damned much...

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7843 on: December 09, 2016, 08:40:24 AM »
Amazing discovery from webmd: gargling with salt water helps sore throats. Like, a LOT.

I'm no longer coughing (because it got rid of the gunk that was making me cough). The pain has decreased (so it still hurts but not enough that it aches into my ears). It's something I can do while pregnant.

In conclusion: effective and FREE. effing YES.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7844 on: December 09, 2016, 11:06:23 AM »

For the drafty windows, how about sewing draft blockers? Or we often use rolled up towels to block air from coming in at windows and doorways. But even if the blanket over the window is ugly, I like the idea. I imagine it would be the most effective!

The pillow/sleeping bag storage idea is a great one!

Thanks.  I have rolled up on t-shirts as draft blockers, and I have shrink film over them, but they are still cold and leaky.  I figure, the more layers the better for now.

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #7845 on: December 09, 2016, 01:37:18 PM »
The tiny windshield crack grew into a big one before I could fix it. (I was trying! Really! I was going to do it Monday!) So I am getting a new windshield. But by getting 3 quotes, I will save at least $75 off the first place I called. (The higher price did not include disposal fee for the old windshield but the lower one does.) Better than a nail in the foot!
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7846 on: December 09, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »
Continuing our appliance install DIY. Dishwasher, fridge, and micro-hood are done. (I have been corrected on the oh so subtle differences between an 'over the range microwave' and a 'microhood'. Now I know). Still working on the range.

With all the sawing we're doing to convert from a drop in to a slide in, I'm pretty sure we're saving biiiiiiiig money over having a contractor in to do this. We've used: a circular saw, a jig saw, a manual carpenter's saw, needlenose pliers, a hammer, a metal file... uh, I think there's something else too but I'm forgetting. At least I now know that we have VERY well made cabinets, lol.

I'm also back to having no idea what wood our cabinets are. I thought they were white-washed maple, but cutting through them, the wood is that white color throughout. Is there such a thing as white maple? Just curious. We love the color, and it'd be nice to find out it's basically just a clear stain on there for when we need to refinish them.

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #7847 on: December 09, 2016, 03:20:57 PM »
I'm also back to having no idea what wood our cabinets are. I thought they were white-washed maple, but cutting through them, the wood is that white color throughout. Is there such a thing as white maple? Just curious. We love the color, and it'd be nice to find out it's basically just a clear stain on there for when we need to refinish them.

Maple is white.  If it is hard, heavy, but cuts nicely with sharp tools, it is probably maple.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7848 on: December 09, 2016, 03:22:48 PM »

Maple is white.  If it is hard, heavy, but cuts nicely with sharp tools, it is probably maple.

I thought it was a bit more yellow/gold/pink?

Can you help me find good pictures? I think most people who tag pictures online have no idea what wood they are talking about. I don't know a lot, but if two pictures side by side are glaringly different color and grain and so on, I can pretty well assume someone is wrong.

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #7849 on: December 09, 2016, 04:01:16 PM »

Could be ash, we had gorgeous knotty ash cabinets at one of our houses that we got for CHEAP.  Some second homeowner installed them, did not like how they looked so we got them for 75% off from the cabinet maker.  Most of what we paid was the installation. 

This week we've made all meals at home except for two mystery shops, one a sushi restaurant and one a pizza restaurant.  Keeps the teen happy.  Did a couple grocery shops also this week, but made sure to schedule days I would already be driving by.  Kept the heat down, washed clothes on cold, convinced the teen to make all her friends homemade bath fizzies for Christmas with some Dollar Tree fun stuff added and she brought lunches from home all week.