Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2113684 times)

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7700 on: November 27, 2016, 02:19:16 AM »
There's no Thanksgiving here and we don't really have Black Friday sales as both are American (not Australian) customs, however I had a great weekend doing little things that have saved me a lot of money!

1. Entertained friends at my house instead of going out, spent $15 on a bottle of wine. Would have easily spent $50 on drinks at a bar.
2. Repaired shoes instead of buying a new pair. Cost $20 to repair and shoes will last another year.
3. Relaxed by the pool instead of going out and enjoyed the gorgeous summer sun! Spent $0.

Things I didn't do which saved money:
1. Went out to a tourist trap for lunch today (the iconic Sydney Fish Markets) and spent more on my lunch than I would have elsewhere.
xx Miss Piggy

-----
The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
https://theearnestaddiction.wordpress.com/

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7701 on: November 27, 2016, 08:10:44 AM »
A few weeks ago, I had booked a night in a hotel in the city for this week to stay while going to dinner and a concert and doing some Christmas shopping. The rate was $180, but when the reminder came this week, it was for $204. I guess taxes drove it up.

I've found a room at another hotel that I like for $131, including taxes and a hot breakfast. It is further from the concert venue and not in a trendy neighborhood, but it is closer to the shopping the next morning. So, $73 ahead, plus a better breakfast.

I'm still staying at the first hotel for a night during Christmas week, but then I get a Christmas week special price.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7702 on: November 27, 2016, 09:18:21 AM »
-Wanted some seating in the front room where we will be placing christmas tree, etc, as we'll be hosting quite a few people, some with mobility issues. Hadn't found a solution- couch won't fit in there, tree won't fit in living room, etc. In-Laws are moving and couldn't sell their big purple leather sectional they'd had in their "bonus room". Really the height of 90s decor, but still in good shape- I think they had it restuffed at one point. Took it and it fits (dimension wise) perfectly in that room. Bonus, long enough to serve as a guest bed to friends/BILs who don't care about "real" beds. Now I just have to get over having a giant grape in my house =P But the price was right!

-Had friends over for dinner, rather than go out anywhere. Also continued talking personal finance with this friend- he's slowly pulling his finances together. This month he's spent $400 on eating out, vs $1000 last month. Shocking numbers, but a huge improvement! And makes me feel good hosting not only helps *us* save money, it helps him feel like cutting restaurant spending is more doable.

-Put up some hand me down Christmas decorations! Embracing the mindset of "nostalgia" rather than "old and kitschy" haha. Don't let perfect be the enemy of frugal!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7703 on: November 27, 2016, 09:31:05 AM »
Put some throws and pillows on the giant grape. Also, you can get tinted lightbulb - you may be able to find one that makes it look less grapey.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7704 on: November 27, 2016, 09:42:15 AM »
Put some throws and pillows on the giant grape. Also, you can get tinted lightbulb - you may be able to find one that makes it look less grapey.

Oooh, these are both good ideas!

It doesn't help that the room itself is a soft grey-purple wall color. Or maybe it does? It coordinates well, it's just VERY purple.

What color throw/pillows could I do in there? Hmm, this might be one to take to PBKmaine's design journal! Put it to the hive mind...
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7705 on: November 27, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »

It doesn't help that the room itself is a soft grey-purple wall color. Or maybe it does? It coordinates well, it's just VERY purple.

What color throw/pillows could I do in there? Hmm, this might be one to take to PBKmaine's design journal! Put it to the hive mind...

Mustard yellow, olive green (kind of complementary colors), or grays, blues and silvers. (Adjacent colors, neutrals). Depends on the shade of grape, but I've seen mustard and olive work really well with purple.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7706 on: November 27, 2016, 09:52:51 AM »

Mustard yellow, olive green (kind of complementary colors), or grays, blues and silvers. (Adjacent colors, neutrals). Depends on the shade of grape, but I've seen mustard and olive work really well with purple.

The couch is very dark, probably like so: https://products.davidsutherlandinc.com/media/76869/990-105-large.jpg
The walls are probably about like "fragrant lilac" on this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/81/9e/09/819e0931f323734d2391d024134028e6.jpg

Totally the diderot effect going on here. Free couch is going to lead to not-free throws/pillows to make it match better! =P 

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7707 on: November 27, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »
Lots of throws on sale now. pillows are cheap to make or re-cover with new fabric. May fins some at thrift stores, or already have some in a closet or other room?

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7708 on: November 27, 2016, 10:23:34 AM »
Found a color palette website - you can select # of colors in the palette. Here's an example with 3 colors. I tried to pick the right purple shade (small dark box, main square is less saturated), yellow and olive were the output for a three color scheme.

http://paletton.com/#uid=34H0u0kllllaFw0g0qFqFg0w0aF

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7709 on: November 27, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »
Found a color palette website - you can select # of colors in the palette. Here's an example with 3 colors. I tried to pick the right purple shade (small dark box, main square is less saturated), yellow and olive were the output for a three color scheme.

That is an awesome website! Thank you!

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7710 on: November 27, 2016, 11:32:31 AM »

My friend Google!  You can tweak the spots too in the color wheel area, and the colors change in the display on the right.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7711 on: November 27, 2016, 11:40:21 AM »

My friend Google!  You can tweak the spots too in the color wheel area, and the colors change in the display on the right.

...definitely already got the color of my living room/kitchen and have good ideas for kitchen accents now.

This is not helping me not want to spend money ;)

To save money today:
Went and got the tools we'll need to DIY change our cabinets from drop in to slide in for our new range. Not sure how much we're saving, but since basic "plug it in" install was over $100, I'm guessing cabinet work would have added substantially! $75 worth of various tools, but already cheaper upfront, and secondly, now we have another couple tools for our various projects that always seem to come up.

Penny McSave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7712 on: November 27, 2016, 11:51:36 AM »
Cancelled my Amazon Prime membership that I forgot to cancel in time last year. I decided to try it for a year and used it all of 3 times!  What a waste! Glad to have that $100 instead of a useless subscription.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7713 on: November 27, 2016, 12:35:38 PM »
Don't let perfect be the enemy of frugal!

Great line, Bracken.

My small thing: got some sewing back from my mum, ripped seams fixed, zips replaced, money saved.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7714 on: November 27, 2016, 12:40:15 PM »
Don't let perfect be the enemy of frugal!

Great line, Bracken.

My small thing: got some sewing back from my mum, ripped seams fixed, zips replaced, money saved.

I wish I could claim credit. Alas, it is the clever Mrs Frugalwoods who coined that: http://www.frugalwoods.com/2015/07/13/perfection-is-the-enemy-of-frugality/

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #7715 on: November 27, 2016, 01:01:02 PM »
I cancelled my Pogo.com account. It's a game site that honestly I have played in months and is sillly. It's only $4.99 a month, but decided to cancel. We ate all meals at home today, and I made homemade cookies for the kids, and made and froze breakfast burritos for the hubs and I for breakfast for next week, using deer meat we harvested and eggs from our chickens, with cheap tortillas.

Pinch of salt

• Stubble
« Reply #7716 on: November 27, 2016, 05:08:54 PM »
Came back from a holiday and was starving after not eating on the no frills flight (5 for a pitiful sandwich). Would have been another 6 for a pitiful sandwich at the airport but waited for an hour and 15min to get home and made oatmeal. Soothed all of me as it's bloody freezing in London tonight.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7717 on: November 27, 2016, 07:41:16 PM »
Made a huge batch of homemade waffles for dinner ... had a box of sausages in the freezer so had those too.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7718 on: November 27, 2016, 10:11:15 PM »
I must brag on my partner who saved us money.  He has a knack for finding grocery markdowns. This time it included 99 cent quarts of yogurt, deeply discounted tea and a huge 2.99 marked down take and bake pizza that he had in the oven when I walked in the door from my long road trip to visit my ill grandfather. He doesn't even like pizza but I do! He called early in the day to let me know he had dinner planned and I was able to completely avoid buying convenience food.

Teamwork makes the dream work.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7719 on: November 27, 2016, 11:26:34 PM »
I must brag on my partner who saved us money.  He has a knack for finding grocery markdowns. This time it included 99 cent quarts of yogurt, deeply discounted tea and a huge 2.99 marked down take and bake pizza that he had in the oven when I walked in the door from my long road trip to visit my ill grandfather. He doesn't even like pizza but I do! He called early in the day to let me know he had dinner planned and I was able to completely avoid buying convenience food.

Teamwork makes the dream work.

Hope your grandfather is ok. Hope you are ok, too.

Your partner sounds like a champ. The little things make a big difference.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7720 on: November 28, 2016, 03:21:40 AM »
My husband's phone packed it in today and leaves on a work trip OS tomorrow, so we had to sort it out tonight.

Fortunately Apple replaced the handset free.

I bought a dress for a work function for new job. Saved $100.

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
« Reply #7721 on: November 28, 2016, 03:32:36 AM »
Today I brought lunch to work and also made dinner for myself! Doesn't sound like much but I'm saving huge amounts on entertainment and dining out expenses. Also, didn't buy coffee on the walk to work - made a cup of tea in a reusable take away cup and had that instead!
xx Miss Piggy

-----
The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
https://theearnestaddiction.wordpress.com/

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7722 on: November 28, 2016, 07:15:28 AM »
Waited almost six months to replace a frustratingly slow old laptop in order to get a great Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal. Saved about $75 over the best deal I've seen in the meantime. Plus I figure the longer I keep laptops, the fewer laptops I'll buy in my life, and that saves some amount of money too. And I paid for it with my CSR cash back reward, which was deposited last week.

Saved 25% on two-day passes to my favorite music festival with a Cyber Monday discount code.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7723 on: November 28, 2016, 07:44:36 AM »
Waited until yesterday to replace shoes for DH and I- trail runners with lugs for me, his general workout/sprints shoes for him. His last pair we scored on 6pm.com for $60, but we hadn't been able to find an equivalent pair for less than $100. A good pair came up for Cyber Monday sale for $60 and free shipping, so we grabbed those. For me, there's a specific brand of trail runners we like, and it almost *never* goes on sale, so I was elated to find the normally $150 shoes for $65+$10 shipping. Husband's last pair lasted him 2 years, my last trail runners lasted me SIX YEARS but now have so little texture on the sole I took a pretty rough fall last run we took. I've been tracking prices on these two items for nearly a year now, planning for their replacement.

Anyway, hobby expense ultimately, but with how long they last, and getting a good price on them, I'm happy with the purchase. Hopefully these will hold up as long as the last ones did.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7724 on: November 28, 2016, 09:43:34 AM »
I used the pan drippings from last night's pork chops to saute mushrooms and onions for this morning's frittata. Tiny, tiny savings (maybe 1tbsp of butter or oil saved?) but also reduces a bit of food waste.

Walked to the post office to mail a baby gift to my cousin and buy stamps. Stopped with my toddler to watch the trains on our way back.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The MILFY Way to FIRE
« Reply #7725 on: November 28, 2016, 10:27:02 AM »
Got my oil changed and took advantage of the 25% military discount (SO is a vet). The guy tried to sell me a $50 cabin filter but I declined. A quick Amazon search shows they average around $10 and YouTube abounds with how-to videos. I ain't a sucka.

Went to a sporting goods store and scored winter boots for myself on clearance for $40. Similar UNLINED ones with questionable waterproof abilities retail for $75+. These are Thinsulate rated to -30 degrees F and definitely waterproof, plus the inside is completely lined, even the rubber part at the bottom. And they're kinda cute. And my orthotics fit inside them comfortably.

Found a holiday dress for DD at a Justice store nearby for 40% off. Waited until today and now it's 50% off. Not so holidayish, either, so she'll get a lot of use out of it.   

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7726 on: November 28, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »
Started a batch of "Artisan Bread in 5" yesterday, and broke off half of it this morning to make a loaf for our lunch. Oven is heating now. I won't be enjoying any because I'm eating Whole 30 at the moment.

http://www.food.com/recipe/5-minute-artisan-bread-325571

ETA Photo
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:10:54 PM by 1967mama »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7727 on: November 28, 2016, 01:29:01 PM »
Costco is still having their $8 off a pork loin sale, so I picked up their smallest (7lbs) to maximize savings. Cashier was so impressed I got $8 off a $13 roast he double checked the price, lol. Pork for around $0.75/lb will go a long way to feeding the mass of family visiting for the holidays!

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7728 on: November 28, 2016, 01:57:43 PM »
The bag of oranges I picked up from the Supermarket yesterday was rancid and mouldy.

Returned it, got it refunded ($5) and they let me pick a new one.

I looked at it VERY carefully this time.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7729 on: November 28, 2016, 02:03:04 PM »
Costco is still having their $8 off a pork loin sale, so I picked up their smallest (7lbs) to maximize savings. Cashier was so impressed I got $8 off a $13 roast he double checked the price, lol. Pork for around $0.75/lb will go a long way to feeding the mass of family visiting for the holidays!

Score!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7730 on: November 28, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »
Spent 30$ on a new wheel to replace the broken stroller wheel instead of 209$ for the (on sale!!) replacement stroller my husband had been ogling.

Baby gear is a ludicrous racket, but that stroller has been VERY useful with our daughter (2.5) who still uses it, and will likely be handy with our second kid, due in February.

Fixing instead of replacing: win. Hopefully we get another few years out of this fix.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7731 on: November 28, 2016, 02:14:12 PM »
Unsubscribing from a few store mailing lists I ended up on after online Christmas shopping.

I don't need 27 emails a week trying to sell me cute stationery or god knows what.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #7732 on: November 29, 2016, 08:02:30 AM »
Talk to my husband.
A post in here had me look up American Giant sweaters, got me convinced and I was about to order one for DH. Before confirming the purchase I ask him if he NEEDS a new sweater, and he replied "Oh, yeah, I really need one. Could you try and find me one next time you go thrift shopping?".
120$ saved!
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7733 on: November 29, 2016, 09:22:53 AM »
Today I have a very long day at the office. They serve dinner in the canteen here, that costs 2 lunch tickets. I found that expensive and chose to bring a leftover portion of food that I found in the freezer at home. It tasted well. I wasn't the only one who ate leftover food from home.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7734 on: November 29, 2016, 10:26:30 AM »
I got a 24m winter coat for my toddler for $3 at goodwill, he won't make it through the winter without outgrowing his 18m coat. Also picked up a set of Hanna Andersson holiday pajamas for $1 that ought to fit next year, though I'm tempted to see if I can flip them on eBay.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Pinch of salt

• Stubble
« Reply #7735 on: November 29, 2016, 10:34:49 AM »
Travelled a few days and didn't spend any money because everything was provided by the airline.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #7736 on: November 29, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »
Just emailed Zinio and asked to cancel an auto-renew magazine subscription.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #7737 on: November 29, 2016, 02:04:03 PM »
Decided not to renew my Pandora One (ad-free) subscription ($4.99/mo) and instead took advantage of a $0.99 3-month Spotify Premium offer.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7738 on: November 29, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »
Decided not to renew my Pandora One (ad-free) subscription ($4.99/mo) and instead took advantage of a $0.99 3-month Spotify Premium offer.

Love your name!

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #7739 on: November 29, 2016, 03:08:51 PM »
Used up peppers that were about to turn for stuffed peppers last night. Stretched the filling by adding black beans and some left over rice from a recipe pre-holiday. Enough for dinner last night and lunch for my husband and I today.
Found Christmas gifts for my in-laws all on the same website and was able to score free shipping and a free t-shirt that will be added to my husband's gift. The gifts were all bought on Cyber Monday sales so I spent $87, not $152. Gifts for my husband and my office secret Santa exchange were $108, instead of $251. The surprise bridal shower I have this weekend is costing me $20, but I'm using amazon gift cards earned through Microsoft rewards to pay for that.
All gift purchased on my credit card have been registered and if a lower price is found in 3 months, I get a check with the difference. This has led to some good after the fact savings in the past.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #7740 on: November 30, 2016, 07:41:47 AM »
Holiday part at work today- instead of making something fancy, or even purchasing fancy pastries, I baked a pumpkin pie, which I had all the ingredients for at home.

Breakfast for everyone at home- oats and yogurt. Packed lunch for my husband and kiddos in school, my lunch will be at my work holiday party.

Took a short 15 minute walk a few minutes ago at work.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7741 on: November 30, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
I defrosted the turkey carcass that I swiped from the in-laws(they were just going to throw it away!) to make stock.  Lo and behold, there was still a ton of meat left on the bones!  I picked off at least a pound of meat, and put it in the freezer.  Add to that the pound or so of dark meat they already gave me(because "we don't like it").  Looks like we'll get to have an almost-free turkey gumbo for dinner this Christmas!

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7742 on: November 30, 2016, 01:45:15 PM »
When I was packing my lunch last night I had half a bottle of homemade tea left, so I topped it off with some orange juice and have been looking forward to the treat all day!

I got the orange juice for 50 cents a half gallon!  I rarely buy that sort of thing but at that price I bought two.  I have one in the freezer.  I'll be enjoying this for a little while. 

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7743 on: November 30, 2016, 04:29:44 PM »
Finally paid attention to the "mustachian food stash at work" post and brought in a box of couscous. So lunch each day this week has been a bowl with leftover supper, some couscous, and hot water from the kettle, for a pretty good soup thing. And some almonds and other snacky stuff for the rest of the workday.

"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #7744 on: November 30, 2016, 04:46:40 PM »
Renewed insurance on my old house (had to move for work, real estate market sucks in my old city but rental market is awesome) for $1,500 less than State Farm had been charging me.  I had looked in the past but was always confused since it seemed most companies didn't offer hurricane insurance.  This time, I emailed three agents, gave them the details and asked to have quotes sent to me.  Was shocked at how much I'd been overpaying and kicking myself for not doing this sooner.  Better late than never I guess. 

Also made mini meatloaves for dinner using marked down ground turkey, marked down green beans and clearance Annie's mac-n-cheese.  Not the healthiest, but got the job done fast for less than $2 and there are enough leftovers for another dinner!

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #7745 on: November 30, 2016, 04:47:17 PM »
Zucchinis in my area are currently $6/kg. Went to the fruit market that sells marked and dodgy produce 'for juicing' and got a 2kg bag for $3. Now all I have to do is use all this zucchini ...

RamonaQ

• Bristles
« Reply #7746 on: November 30, 2016, 05:53:56 PM »
I have some black socks that have a ridiculously tight elastic top to them - like leave major dents in my ankles/calves tight.  (Side note: now I know why they were on clearance at Target.)  I was about to donate them, but then I tried just cutting off the super tight elastic at the top.  So far, so good!
I made a new journal: Ramona's World

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7747 on: November 30, 2016, 06:09:34 PM »
Had a work function yesterday, and the macaron platters for dessert were barely touched.

I spoke to the venue staff and handed me a container of about 20 before I left.

Into the freezer they will go.

Anagnorisis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7748 on: November 30, 2016, 08:57:30 PM »
Saved $0.50 a day by switching to Diamond Naturals Dog Food from Wellness Brand.  $1.30/lb down to $0.80/lb and my girl eats about a pound a day.  The best part is she MUCH prefers it!

Dropped the thermostats 1 degree across the board.  They range from 59 to 64 now, depending on zone and time of day.  I also tightened up the times that the thermostats adjust.  I rent two rooms out, so this doesn't just affect me, but if there are any complaints I'll gladly go back.

Started turning the water off while I scrub down in the shower.  This saves about 2 minutes of hot water every other day.  Won't likely save me anything on the water as it's billed in blocks of 1,000 gallons, but it will save me a bit on heating the water.

Signed up for free cell service through work.  Republic cost me about $14 a month. 

Used a $10 credit at the hardware store to replace a CFL that finally burned out with an LED.  I still have a few CFLs left but am waiting for them to burn out before replacing.

Washed laundry in cold water with homemade soap, then line dried inside.

Cancelled Amazon Prime, I'll split the $99/yr with nearby family and have the few things I order delivered there.  The $50/yr is absolutely worth it for lower prices on a few items that I haven't been able to source cheaper otherwise.  Dog food & toilet paper being the big ones.  Delivery is awfully nice too. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:21:37 PM by Anagnorisis »

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7749 on: November 30, 2016, 10:17:16 PM »
Wow, you're on a roll, Anagnorisis!

I'm going to be out from morning till midnight seven days in a row (except one night where I won't get to come home at all) and I planned ahead and have great homemade dinner options on hand that I can throw together/reheat in five minutes when I get home, so I don't get tempted to eat dinner out. Late lunch + snack + midnight dinner probably isn't anyone's ideal option but it's working for a week.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)