Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2013815 times)

ohsnap

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7650 on: November 21, 2016, 06:46:52 PM »
Husband wanted Swiss cheese with his lunch today, but the package was unopened, so I convinced him to use the open package of cheddar instead.  (cheese lasts a while, but once it's open it develops mold spots much faster)

Keep in mind that you can always freeze cheese if you'll be away
for a while.

Yes, I'll do that.  But the texture changes. It's fine for cheeses like my Costco pack of feta, but it makes cheddar impossible to slice.  Still good for shreds/crumbles, of course.  Thanks for the reminder. :)

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7651 on: November 21, 2016, 11:58:01 PM »
Cut my son's hair tonight. (The Wahl clippers have now paid for themselves.)
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7652 on: November 22, 2016, 02:25:13 AM »
Husband wanted Swiss cheese with his lunch today, but the package was unopened, so I convinced him to use the open package of cheddar instead.  (cheese lasts a while, but once it's open it develops mold spots much faster)

for a while.

No kidding? Seriously? You can freeze cheese?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7653 on: November 22, 2016, 02:33:50 AM »

for a while.

... Seriously? You didn't know???

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7654 on: November 22, 2016, 06:58:03 AM »

for a while.

That's the beauty of this thread! You learn a million little ways to save. =) And it's hard to find stuff like this on your own sometimes- you don't know what you don't know!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #7655 on: November 22, 2016, 10:37:19 AM »

for a while.

Wouldn't it ruin the texture? as it does with milk?
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

lil_miss_frugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7656 on: November 22, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »

for a while.

Wouldn't it ruin the texture? as it does with milk?

I've had to freeze cheese plenty of times and I honestly couldn't tell the difference in texture nor taste.

Rubic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7657 on: November 22, 2016, 10:43:17 AM »
for a while.

Yes, I'll do that.  But the texture changes. It's fine for cheeses like my Costco pack of feta, but it makes cheddar impossible to slice.  Still good for shreds/crumbles, of course.  Thanks for the reminder. :)

When you thaw the cheddar, let it thaw slowly in the refrigerator rather than
bringing it out of the freezer directly up to room temperature.

Catbert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7658 on: November 22, 2016, 10:49:16 AM »
It wouldn't freeze really good cheese.  The French would probably stop speaking to you. ;-)

IME it affects textures and would kill any live bacteria, enzymes (whatever turns milk to cheese).  It works fine on grocery store cheese, especially things like a packet of shredded cheddar or mozzarella.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The MILFY Way to FIRE
« Reply #7659 on: November 22, 2016, 11:16:15 AM »
Instead of buying a new LBD or taking my all-over lace one to a tailor, I used some rudimentary sewing skills to shorten the flesh-colored liner on the skirt part so it no longer hangs lower than the lace.

Successfully replaced the battery in my car key fob.

I plan to make the crust for my Thanksgiving pies (already have all the ingredients) instead of buying ready-made crust. This will either be awesome or a baking disaster :D

My parents and ex's parents bought Cub Scout popcorn from my son and told us to keep it, so I brought in several individual packages of microwaveable popcorn to work for my emergency snack stash, thereby avoiding the evil vending machine.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7660 on: November 22, 2016, 12:01:55 PM »

for a while.

Slice, then freeze?
Wherever you go, there you are

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7661 on: November 22, 2016, 12:06:44 PM »
Instead of buying a new LBD or taking my all-over lace one to a tailor, I used some rudimentary sewing skills to shorten the flesh-colored liner on the skirt part so it no longer hangs lower than the lace.

I plan to make the crust for my Thanksgiving pies (already have all the ingredients) instead of buying ready-made crust. This will either be awesome or a baking disaster :D

My parents and ex's parents bought Cub Scout popcorn from my son and told us to keep it, so I brought in several individual packages of microwaveable popcorn to work for my emergency snack stash, thereby avoiding the evil vending machine.

I was going to use pre-made dough for my pie crusts, but your post is driving me to make my own.  Mustachian peer pressure?

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #7662 on: November 22, 2016, 12:28:25 PM »
Not going outside at all.
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #7663 on: November 22, 2016, 12:54:16 PM »
Resisted turning on my heat another day. 
Join Robinhood and we'll both get a share of stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint for free. Make sure you use my link.
http://share.robinhood.com/jennifc287

Kwill

• Bristles
« Reply #7664 on: November 22, 2016, 01:00:12 PM »
Making soup from various things that were getting old: chicken from the freezer, ugly carrots, sprouting potatoes. While waiting for it to cook, I had a stale, broken cookie that was languishing at the bottom of a cookie package I'd forgotten (plus a more recent cookie and some decaf tea to keep the sad cookie company). I also had leftovers at work for lunch and had coffee packets from home instead of buying coffee.

The big savings was yesterday, though. Last week I wrote to the admissions office at the grad school where I'm doing an online degree and asked if the unused semester of my scholarship could be applied to next semester -- I'd missed it because I had to take a one-semester leave of absence. And last night I heard back that the change was approved. That will cover about 40% of the remaining cost of my degree and make a big difference now that I'm paid in pounds and paying tuition in dollars. So yay! It was worth asking.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7665 on: November 22, 2016, 01:00:56 PM »

I was going to use pre-made dough for my pie crusts, but your post is driving me to make my own.  Mustachian peer pressure?
OmahaSteph, You're amazing. 
Toffeemama, I'm impressed you're considering making your own crust!

I was just about to pat myself on the back for making my own pie (with a storebought crust), but you both are so impressive!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7666 on: November 22, 2016, 02:19:05 PM »
Power was out last for most of our suburb last night.

Husband suggested we go for a drive and find somewhere that was open for dinner.

Where's the fun in that?

Instead, I poured a drink and cooked dinner on the barbecue from things we had on hand. Power was back on before it got dark anyway.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7667 on: November 22, 2016, 02:33:29 PM »

OmahaSteph, You're amazing. 
Toffeemama, I'm impressed you're considering making your own crust!

I was just about to pat myself on the back for making my own pie (with a storebought crust), but you both are so impressive!

Oh jeez.... Now I have to make my own crust! :O

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #7668 on: November 22, 2016, 02:39:24 PM »
Used up flour that's about to expire (not sure if it actually goes bad) and sugar that starts to become lumpy and baked cookies for work.
Good karma for a buck (had to add eggs and butter).

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7669 on: November 22, 2016, 05:47:07 PM »
Fed visiting family a home cooked dinner and stretched a pound of ground beef into taco meat for 6 by adding a diced onion and a diced zucchini to bulk it up. Served with quick soaked black beans cooked in the pressure cooker since I forgot to start them in the crockpot this morning.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7670 on: November 22, 2016, 07:24:04 PM »
Arrived at the airport a little early today, before DH's flight had arrived, and was therefore able to head outside to the pickup area and snag a luggage cart for free!  They normally cost $5, which is highly annoying. 

Went to the thrift store with DD and DH and found a hardback copy of the library book DD had lost -- she can replace the lost copy with this one we got for $3ish, rather than spending $$$ to buy it new. 

Also found a nice little plastic caddy thing for $1 that DD can put all her toiletries in, which hopefully will help keep her bathroom more tidy.

DH was complaining about only having one pair of pants to wear (he ended up with very little room in his suitcase to pack clothes in), but then refused to try anything on at the thrift store.    I guess that saved us money.
Wherever you go, there you are

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7671 on: November 22, 2016, 09:50:55 PM »
I had to drive 10 hours cross country today. It's last minute. I'll be staying with family through the holiday. Yesterday I sorted the fridge and either froze or packed all the food that won't last until I return. Today I ate packed food and really wasn't even tempted by fast food/junk food.  Gonna try to make this trip cheap and healthy.

I stopped at goodwill for a break 7 hours into the drive. I shopped my list and filled some holes in my wardrobe.  Having a list and sticking with my predetermined plan and colors sure made shopping easier.  I think I bought things I will actually wear, and they all coordinate with the rest of my clothing.

I resisted a lot of temptation as well.  Pretty gift wrap and cards for example.  I had it in my hands, but reminded myself that I already decided on a Christmas theme made from supplies I have. No need for more, even if it is only $1 or 2. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:03:26 PM by PMG »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7672 on: November 22, 2016, 09:53:59 PM »
A couple of small things I did over the past few weeks paid off today.

When I left my previous job, in October, I made a claim to a certain classification of accrued leave paid out.

The company wasn't required to pay it, but my managers supported my claim.

Since leaving, I sent payroll two emails following it up.

Today they paid out more than $7000.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7673 on: November 22, 2016, 09:57:27 PM »
I had to drive 10 hours cross country today. It's last minute.

Hope all is ok, PMG.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7674 on: November 22, 2016, 10:10:43 PM »

Meanwhile in Australia, we're resisting turning the cool on!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7675 on: November 22, 2016, 10:16:51 PM »

Meanwhile in Sydney, we're resisting swimming home.

Well, I am. marty998 sensibly packed an umbrella this morning.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7676 on: November 22, 2016, 10:20:59 PM »
Friends who have done us a favour are coming over tonight, and I've decided to make tacos rather than buying takeaway (haven't been up to much cooking lately thanks to severe morning sickness; takeaway has become a default option around here).

No nurseries have the fruit tree I want in stock so I've involuntarily saved that money for now :-(

Ate homegrown blueberries this morning.

Watching my local Buy Nothing group to pick up pregnancy and baby things. I've already snagged heaps of things we would otherwise have bought!

Going shopping with gift cards later this week for a maternity bra and some Christmas presents for nephlings.

Meanwhile in Sydney, we're resisting swimming home.

Well, I am. marty998 sensibly packed an umbrella this morning.

I wish we could have some of that rain! My garden is starting to dry out in the heat.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7677 on: November 22, 2016, 10:56:02 PM »
A couple of small things I did over the past few weeks paid off today.

When I left my previous job, in October, I made a claim to a certain classification of accrued leave paid out.

The company wasn't required to pay it, but my managers supported my claim.

Since leaving, I sent payroll two emails following it up.

Today they paid out more than $7000.

NICE!

Harvested three lemons from our tree, cooked up some sweet potatoes we grew in our garden, cut onions, chard and sorrel.

Received a $12.28 Amazon gift card for some previous Associates activity.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:58:38 PM by jengod »
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7678 on: November 23, 2016, 01:33:24 AM »
My brother is cooking the bird on Thursday and the rest of us received our instructions yesterday, no deviation allowed. I was assigned crudites. Hehe, I shopped for the produce at the 99 Cents Only Store today. I will arrange everything on my two lovely hand-me-down Candlewick by Imperial platters. It will be lovely and no one will know I didn't spend a fortune.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #7679 on: November 23, 2016, 01:40:01 AM »

Very mustachian! I didn't even make it to November this year.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #7680 on: November 23, 2016, 03:37:20 AM »

Very mustachian! I didn't even make it to November this year.

Urgh. This year it was -turn on heat for a week - turn on the a/c for a week because of 60 degree temperature swings.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7681 on: November 23, 2016, 04:26:15 AM »
Brought my own lunch to work. Didn't buy the delicious-looking apple cake that was for sale in the canteen at work. We will get a free cake this afternoon because of a colleague who is leaving the company.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #7682 on: November 23, 2016, 04:47:09 AM »
Cycled and combined two trips. One was to the library to get books that will potentially improve my mustache. That means savings today and savings in future.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #7683 on: November 23, 2016, 07:38:53 AM »
We have been experimenting with "minimum effective dosage" for everything lately. Then we ran out of dishwasher detergent. Apparently, the minimum effective dose for still perfectly clean dishes is 0. I can't decide if I am thrilled to find this out, or bummed at how much we have spent over the years, and we get the cheap stuff! Must.Question.Everything.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7684 on: November 23, 2016, 07:47:13 AM »
We have been experimenting with "minimum effective dosage" for everything lately. Then we ran out of dishwasher detergent. Apparently, the minimum effective dose for still perfectly clean dishes is 0. I can't decide if I am thrilled to find this out, or bummed at how much we have spent over the years, and we get the cheap stuff! Must.Question.Everything.

I tried this with washing detergent for clothes. I bought the cheapest detergent and added only two spoonfuls to the washing machine. Washed on 30C. And my clothes came out smelling of sweat. Obviously washing smelly cloths requires either hotter temperatures or more detergent. I have done both and still use the cheapest detergent. Now it works.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7685 on: November 23, 2016, 09:53:15 AM »
There is no school this whole week for the elementary kid.  Instead of:
1. Going on vacation
2. Paying for camp

We are splitting the days and working at home half day and at the office half day.  No camp cost, about $175 / week.  No vacation, easily $1000.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7686 on: November 23, 2016, 10:20:16 AM »
Sold a junior sized drum set. We were given it for free a few years ago by someone who was done with it. Sold it to a music store and then turned around and bought a piece that was missing from our new (from Craig's List) for the same price! Only had to pay the $9.50 tax. Wahoo! Gotta love the 2nd hand market!

NV Teacher

• Bristles
« Reply #7687 on: November 23, 2016, 08:00:57 PM »
Traveling to be with family for the weekend.  For breakfast I finished off the last of the soup I made on Sunday.  I used the last of the bread and made a sandwich to eat on the road.  Filled the cup with ice and put a couple of cans of sofa in my bag that I got on sale for 20 cents each.  Didn't buy any treats when I stopped along the way.  Oh, and by driving about 5 blocks off the freeway I gassed up for $2.24 a gallon instead of paying $3.00 a gallon at the gas station by the exit.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7688 on: November 24, 2016, 01:55:53 AM »
My lovely friend the baker called in to see me at work this afternoon.

She brought a box full of sweets (20+ almond croissants, Madeleines, slice, etc) and a couple of pumpkin and spinach pastries.

I donated the sweets to the office - always good for morale, and better for me not to eat them.

The savoury pastries will give me dinner for a couple of nights.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7689 on: November 24, 2016, 03:47:23 AM »
I did something to save someone elses money. I made a friend of mine aware of the possibility of early retirement, as he is exactly the kind of frugal person you need to be to achieve this. I made him aware of the option of investing in index funds and the concept was quite new for him. I think he had his money on a normal bank account all these years.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7690 on: November 24, 2016, 03:51:05 AM »
Showered at work. 

Thanks for the reminder. I have just decided in the lunch break that I should pick up the habit of walking or run/walking to work. This will take a lot more time than driving a car. And it requires a shower. But than I can save a short morning shower at home. We even have free towels at work.

For a note: I could cycle, but I don't fancy dping that it in the winter, in the dark with icy roads. Even though we have spike tires that I could put on them.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7691 on: November 24, 2016, 08:03:26 AM »
My family is in town for the week. We've been mostly eating at home, went to a free museum for entertainment, and they've been helping us get things done around the house. The legs of my sewing table (a cheap solid wood table from Craigslist) were getting extremely wobbly and my dad helped me disassemble the legs/base of the table and re-glue all the joints. It's nice and sturdy now.

DH and I got out for a rare date yesterday afternoon. We went on a walk, stopped for cups of coffee and cookies (much less $$$ than going out for lunch or dinner!) and went to the library. It was lovely.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7692 on: November 24, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »
After a couple of months on the bright side of life (we moved to a north-facing apartment), I've had to change my line-drying strategy.

Previously I would peg things in the morning, but thing will fade quickly if I do that here with summer on the way.

So now I'm pegging at night and getting the load in when it's dry in the morning.

I'm also pegging jeans and dark clothes inside out to help prevent fading.

Can't do much about the cushions on my daybed, but I'm still so much happier with the sunlight.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7693 on: November 24, 2016, 05:25:31 PM »
I had errands to do in the next small town over and in the city. The next small town over is the same distance from the city as the place I live in. Rather than doing the errands on separate days, I drove to the next small town over first, then the city, then home. Saved half an hour on driving and $6 on gas. It was a long day, though.

In the city, half of the gas stations had gas at 78 cents a litre and half had it at 90 cents a litre. (Gas suppliers are Suncor/Petrocanada versus Shell. The latter obviously had some supply issues.) I filled up, because it was 81 cents at home. What if I hadn't been looking?

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #7694 on: November 25, 2016, 01:46:54 AM »
After a couple of months on the bright side of life (we moved to a north-facing apartment), I've had to change my line-drying strategy.
Took me a while to figure out why north facing would be a problem
I'm also pegging jeans and dark clothes inside out to help prevent fading.
Damn I should have tought of that.

Icecreamarsenal

• Bristles
  • Set me free
« Reply #7695 on: November 25, 2016, 07:56:06 AM »
I did something to save someone elses money. I made a friend of mine aware of the possibility of early retirement, as he is exactly the kind of frugal person you need to be to achieve this. I made him aware of the option of investing in index funds and the concept was quite new for him. I think he had his money on a normal bank account all these years.

Paying it forward, love it.  I will be sitting down with a friend soon and going over all the finances.  I think I'm more excited about it than he is!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7696 on: November 25, 2016, 08:18:55 AM »
I'm Canadian, so everyone is at work and there's no Thanksgiving thing going on... except for Black Friday.

So, this morning, I took my VERY detailed 'christmas presents to buy' and 'things for the house we actually NEED (aka: instant pot to replace the broken crockpot)' lists, and went online, and spent half an hour getting most things from both lists at 30-70% off.

I figure, if this is stuff I'm gonna spend money on anyway, may as well spend less money, save time, avoid going to an actual store, and get ONLY what has been on the lists and not get tempted into additional pretty things!

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7697 on: November 25, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
I'm Canadian, so everyone is at work and there's no Thanksgiving thing going on... except for Black Friday.

So, this morning, I took my VERY detailed 'christmas presents to buy' and 'things for the house we actually NEED (aka: instant pot to replace the broken crockpot)' lists, and went online, and spent half an hour getting most things from both lists at 30-70% off.

I figure, if this is stuff I'm gonna spend money on anyway, may as well spend less money, save time, avoid going to an actual store, and get ONLY what has been on the lists and not get tempted into additional pretty things!

Smart.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7698 on: November 25, 2016, 12:23:04 PM »

Smart.

And then I went to the fabric store over lunch and (get this) ONLY got what was on my short-list of projects for the next 3 months (aka: mostly things for the baby I'm expecting in 3 months - change table cover, sheet for the crib, etc). All fabric at 50% off? Why yes, this is when I'll buy my crafting supplies.

The trick to this actually working is to buy ZERO things not on the actual list, and the list has to be short and contain ONLY what is actually gonna get made, not a 'hey, cute pattern, I'll make that sometime' list.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7699 on: November 25, 2016, 03:23:20 PM »
Fixed leaking frost-free outside faucet with a $.49 washer. Probably saved $50 or more by not calling the plumber