Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1833421 times)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7200 on: September 09, 2016, 04:26:46 AM »
Line dried laundry again.

I cut up my brown bananas to freeze them to make smoothies.

Leftovers for my meals again.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7201 on: September 09, 2016, 08:52:33 AM »

Your brown bananas remind me: I did 2-ingredient cookies (http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/) with pumpkin pie flavor palette. This saved 2 ways: helping me resist a certain latte that is back at an expensive coffee chain (AHEM) and use up some bananas.
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7202 on: September 09, 2016, 09:30:29 AM »

Your brown bananas remind me: I did 2-ingredient cookies (http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/) with pumpkin pie flavor palette. This saved 2 ways: helping me resist a certain latte that is back at an expensive coffee chain (AHEM) and use up some bananas.
That recipe looks tasty!  I over bought bananas last weekend, so I know what I'll do if I have any that turn on me.

For breakfast, I had leftover baguette that was a little hard (microwaved it and it was fine) with my eggs.  I also double bagged the bread and tossed it in the freezer.  When I want baguette, I'll toss it in the oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

I'm in the process of using up my tea stash.  While I really want to buy more black tea (my normal morning beverage), I'm drinking down my other tea.  This morning I had a pleasant green tea with tropical flavors.  In order to use up the entire leftover amount, I made an entire pot.  I put the remainder in the fridge for ice tea tomorrow.

Sixof1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7203 on: September 09, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
Long time lurker here! Excited that this thread is my first post! Reading all of these really has me inspired, I've been trying to keep this thread in mind so recently I:

- purchased 8 packages of strawberries, 6 mangos, and 3 pints of blue berries all for $15. Some went to friends but most of the strawberries became jam and everything else went in the freezer for smoothies!
- made a blueberry lemon bread from some of the blueberries
- I have to use natural deodorant and after running out of the stuff I usually order online I decided to try an new one. This was a mistake but rather than cave and buy my regular I have been using the new one and have just been putting on an extra spray of perfume.
- had friends over the weekend and not all the food got used up. Instead of taking any with them they insisted I keep it for driving them everywhere, a place to stay, etc. so I had a fridge full of food and a very low grocery bill this week!
Half dozen of the other

Slowly inching towards being more mustachian, one dollar at a time.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7204 on: September 09, 2016, 11:18:25 AM »

Thanks for posting that! I've never tried those 2 or 3 ingredient cookies before but those look tasty.

Thank you both!

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7205 on: September 09, 2016, 12:07:57 PM »
I am dehydrating tomatoes as suggested by several of you...   It has been nearly 24 hrs in the dehydrator, and they are still wet, but soldiering on..

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7206 on: September 09, 2016, 03:11:11 PM »
I am dehydrating tomatoes as suggested by several of you...   It has been nearly 24 hrs in the dehydrator, and they are still wet, but soldiering on..

I am drying tomatoes too!

I finally realized I should dry my summer basil rather than letting it get killed by frost then composting it! Duh!

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7207 on: September 09, 2016, 03:13:47 PM »

I finally realized I should dry my summer basil rather than letting it get killed by frost then composting it! Duh!

Basil just gets all brown when I dry it...   but try dicing it into butter and freezing little packs (ice cube trays) for use when sauteeing in future.  Wrap and keep frozen in ziploc bags.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #7208 on: September 09, 2016, 05:11:24 PM »

Basil just gets all brown when I dry it...   but try dicing it into butter and freezing little packs (ice cube trays) for use when sauteeing in future.  Wrap and keep frozen in ziploc bags.

Ooohh, basil butter.  Thanks for the idea!  I've made a crapload of pesto already, but herb butters need to happen.

I'm making a huge batch of yogurt today with milk, cream and a yogurt starter that were all marked down.

Found the flip-top bottles I wanted for my kombucha for $1.99 each at Marshall's, whereas they're about $8 apiece on Amazon.

MBot

• Bristles
« Reply #7209 on: September 09, 2016, 07:37:04 PM »
This week I ran out of brown sugar and white sugar. Ran out of honey a while ago.

I've been cutting down sugar in my tea for a while and the last few days drank it without - by necessity. Now I think I can just skip the sugar in the future altogether!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7210 on: September 09, 2016, 09:45:50 PM »
In re preserving soft herbs, another option is to chop them and put them in these Ball freezer trays ( http://amzn.to/2c0xGw8 ) with olive oil and then just pop 'em out as needed. You can also use the same technique for saving dish-size portions of things like lemon zest.

Recent savings:
* Found sugar for $0.25 a pound so purchased several pounds to add to our pantry/stockpile.

* Think I figured out how to turn the carob pods that fall in our yard into a free seasonal source of chicken feed.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 09:54:06 PM by jengod »
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7211 on: September 10, 2016, 01:39:15 AM »
^ I've tried the three ingredient cookies before.:)

Line drying washing again, I'm finding it easier than using the tumble dryer.

Using up my tea too, I have Yogi Choco organic tea today. It's nice and warming as it is cooler weather today.

I'm watching an old black and white film for entertainment.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #7212 on: September 12, 2016, 01:34:18 PM »
This weekend:

Mended 3 clothing items and my backpack handle.

DH and I did some repairs in our master bathroom instead of hiring someone.

I power washed the shower curtain instead of buying a new one.

Have been using plain white vinegar as a cleaning product.  I'll never go back to buying expensive, full of chemical cleaners.

Clipped a bunch of coupons for this month's grocery trip.

We ate a ton meeting leftovers from last week.  They resulted in at least 6 meals between the two of us.

I caught an error on our drinks and appetizers bill Saturday.  Saved $7!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7213 on: September 12, 2016, 02:09:08 PM »
Remembered to use the Home Depot coupon I got for signing up for their mobile alerts. $5 off $50 or more.

Bought the medium sized lavender plants instead of the larger ones. They'll fill the space up enough it doesn't look totally bare right now, and will grow next year more. And were $6 less per plant.

Related to the lavender: used lavender and rosemary, two hearty herbs, to plant an area that our sprinklers don't reach. Once they're established, they'll only need watering during hot dry periods- the rest of the time in my climate they're happy with whatever precipitation we get. This saved us money over the other option we had discussed, fixing the "dead" sprinkler system on that side, to put in more water dependent plants.

Instead of buying more hangars for our closet, I got rid of some clothes.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

newelljack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7214 on: September 12, 2016, 09:52:12 PM »
Leftovers for lunch and managed my mpg as best as I could. And also talked myself out of buying a new car, but that's the same every week!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7215 on: September 13, 2016, 01:00:13 AM »

Ooohh, basil butter.  Thanks for the idea!  I've made a crapload of pesto already, but herb butters need to happen.

I just added 'procure basil plant' to my to-do list after this discussion!

I love it, and new balcony should be sunny enough to grow it.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #7216 on: September 13, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »
I have an class this evening after work. Brought two meals to work instead of just one for lunch, will be having dinner here and go straight to the university afterwards. It's the little things.

felixbf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7217 on: September 13, 2016, 07:15:47 AM »
Put my dirty converse sneakers in the washing machine.No need for new ones

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #7218 on: September 13, 2016, 07:24:14 AM »
I sold an item on Amazon! I will be visiting my workplace's mail room to see if there are any discarded boxes I can use to ship said item, saving me the cost of a box and/or using the priority flat rate boxes.

Put my dirty converse sneakers in the washing machine.No need for new ones
I find that using a little nail polish remover on the rubbery bits works wonders for brightening sneakers.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7219 on: September 13, 2016, 10:17:47 AM »
Worked out at the free gym, listening to a podcast, while my son played at the childcare co-op.

Borrowed paint from a friend for a craft project instead of buying it.

Ran a few errands and only bought what was on my list.

Leftovers for lunch, and stuffed peppers for dinner to help use up more leftovers.

newelljack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7220 on: September 13, 2016, 11:52:26 AM »
Worked out at the free gym, listening to a podcast, while my son played at the childcare co-op.

Your gym sounds awesome!

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7221 on: September 13, 2016, 12:14:35 PM »

Your gym sounds awesome!

It's one of my favorite perks of being a military spouse!

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #7222 on: September 13, 2016, 12:19:33 PM »
Packed lunch. Which I always do, but it was close.

See, yesterday I did not have time to cook BEFORE work. Got home at 8:45 pm to "no food, just ingredients." Now, I was very tempted to just stop for fast food or something, but I knew that if I did, I would have the same problem today of no food. So I dug in and cooked a small mountain of pasta with Italian sausage, parmesan, and arugula. Dinner and many lunches! Yum.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7223 on: September 13, 2016, 12:34:35 PM »
I got a free cookie from a restaurant worker my company does a lot of business with!
SCORE!
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

LorettaLynn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7224 on: September 13, 2016, 06:32:11 PM »
Skipped breakfast because I was still full from last's night dinner.  Did not buy lunch from cafeteria.  Spent about 15 minutes writing to a few companies whose products I use (canned kitty food, tea, house cleaning) to sing their praises and ask for samples/coupons.  Worth a shot. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7225 on: September 13, 2016, 06:34:25 PM »
Already had the oven on, so I batched my cooking. "unstuffed" pepper casserole, bacon, mini breakfast quiches.

PDM

• Stubble
    • Punk Dog Accessories - Blog
« Reply #7226 on: September 13, 2016, 07:02:14 PM »
And the dog likes to stealth lick my face while in Shavasana -_-
Lol. Agree totally. Our pups are entirely unhelpful when doing yoga.

Fearthebait

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7227 on: September 14, 2016, 05:50:03 AM »
Today I spent $30 to install a wifi card in my computer. I now get free unlimited WiFi in my room instead of paying $100 per month for the Ethernet enabled internet that is offered on base.

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7228 on: September 14, 2016, 11:41:50 AM »
Pre made all lunches and dinners for the week. Comes out to under $1.50 a serving and all whole food. Picked up 6 dozen eggs expiring 10/20 for 0.80 each making each of my breakfasts a whopping 18 cents.

Am under budget and have not purchased anything outside of food and bills this month. Small victory, but I am pretty impressed with myself.

Also, my temp job has been extended into October so another month of a salary : )

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7229 on: September 14, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »
This is kind of an ongoing thing, but taking extra-good care of my face so I can leave the house without makeup, without feeling super self-conscious.  My skin looks better than it has in almost 20 years!

Cognitive Miser

• Stubble
« Reply #7230 on: September 14, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »
I had to buy lunch out today for some stupid reasons... but I went to a place I've been to before that has a really excellent Cobb salad, and ordered same.

Got the salad back to my office and it was nowhere near up to the usual standards.  I called the restaurant and asked if they wanted feedback on today's manifestation.  They patched me through to the manager, who offered to refund my lunch as a thank-you for calling directly instead of posting a nasty review on Yelp.  So... free lunch today!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7231 on: September 14, 2016, 06:57:33 PM »
Found a 5 cu ft chest freezer on facebook for $25.  It reeks, which was why it was so cheap.  So I'm drying it out, checking all the drains, sealing the seams with RTV sealant, and using charcoal to absorb the odor. 

The timing was perfect.  I have to pick all my peppers this weekend but my tomatoes aren't ripe yet.  So the jalapenos have got to keep until I can make salsa.  The bell peppers are going to be cut into fajita ready strips.  The Anaheims will be roasted and frozen in muffin tins.  I'll also be freezing sliced zucchini, green beans, some corn, and a couple of cases of strawberries that are on sale this week.

MrsTuxedocat

• Stubble
« Reply #7232 on: September 14, 2016, 11:50:05 PM »
Went for a romantic and fun date: we biked around the sea walk and had a picnic dinner at sunset.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7233 on: September 15, 2016, 07:25:35 AM »
Pre made all lunches and dinners for the week. Comes out to under $1.50 a serving and all whole food. Picked up 6 dozen eggs expiring 10/20 for 0.80 each making each of my breakfasts a whopping 18 cents.

Am under budget and have not purchased anything outside of food and bills this month. Small victory, but I am pretty impressed with myself.

Also, my temp job has been extended into October so another month of a salary : )

You're doing great! I'm impressed too.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7234 on: September 15, 2016, 07:27:10 AM »
We're going to be out of town this weekend, and have leftovers in the fridge that we won't have time to eat.  So this morning I remembered to put them in the freezer, so they won't go bad over the weekend.

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #7235 on: September 15, 2016, 09:00:15 AM »
Booked a hotel for a conference I am attending. Got a reasonable rate. Then found a good accommodation nearby for 2/3 the money. Cancelled first and booked second. Then noticed an offer on the website of the second accom that gives free breakfast if booked >30 days out, which I had. Cancelled the second accom and booked it again on website! Got free breakfast now! All good.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7236 on: September 15, 2016, 07:39:14 PM »
I returned a stray cart in the parking lot at Aldi and got the quarter.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7237 on: September 15, 2016, 10:58:57 PM »
I returned a stray cart in the parking lot at Aldi and got the quarter.

A quarter (25c)?? The slots in the trolleys here hold $2!

PDM

• Stubble
    • Punk Dog Accessories - Blog
« Reply #7238 on: September 16, 2016, 12:39:35 AM »
I thought here they held the Aldi specific token you can buy for $2?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7239 on: September 16, 2016, 01:00:48 AM »
I have been very UNFRUGAL these days, but today did a few small things so I will add them here:

*Used up 4 zucchini that were languishing in the fridge

*Homemade BBQ sauce on chicken thighs done on the grill - delish

*Loving the no heating/no cooling season

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7240 on: September 16, 2016, 01:13:36 AM »
I thought here they held the Aldi specific token you can buy for $2?

They do, but if you look closely it's the same size as a $2 coin.

Makes finding abandoned trolleys and returning them far more lucrative than in the States, apparently.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7241 on: September 16, 2016, 04:44:54 AM »
No driving, no spending day yesterday. Gym childcare co-op, a walk, cooked dried chickpeas in the crockpot and roasted them for snacks, baked homemade sourdough, made grilled cheese and my favorite tomato soup with coconut milk and chickpeas.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7242 on: September 16, 2016, 07:47:51 AM »
Apparently our carts at Aldi are a bargain!

I'm assuming it's because in the US we don't really use any coins higher than 25 cents.  We have a $1 coin, but no one really uses them and they are not at all common.

It's funny because yesterday I was remembering grocery shopping in France while in college and putting a 10 franc piece in to get the cart (worth about $2 at the time) and thinking how much cheaper Aldi's carts were. 

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The MILFY Way to FIRE
« Reply #7243 on: September 16, 2016, 11:43:40 AM »
Brought leftovers for lunch, as per usual.
Scored a weight bench for $10 from a co-worker. Will add this to the free squat rack and weight set I got from other co-workers.
Found a long necklace at Target for $16.99 compared to the mucho expensive Stella and Dot ones I was considering.
Bought a package of grapes marked $2 off at Target. Nothing wrong with them as long as we eat them in the next couple days.
We all wanted a sweet treat so I whipped up a batch of no-bake cookies since we already had all the ingredients.
Bought a Groupon for a date night brewery tour. For the regular price of just the tour, we also get two six-packs of beer. I don't drink it, so Current will be happy that he gets both. :)
Had a conversation and lesson with the kiddos on "want" v. "need" -- PRICELESS :)

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7244 on: September 16, 2016, 12:21:53 PM »
Saved at least $2.35 in interest by setting up an automatic payment to my VISA from my HELOC to happen 10 days from now instead of today.

WHOA, WHOA, hold the face punches for paying debt with debt... let me explain. 

The VISA will be paid in full 2 days before it is due. I would rather pay it all off ASAP but then I would need to transfer savings and it would be a PITA.  There will be enough "income" put into the HELOC to fully cover the VISA about 4 days after it is due. I will still owe about $0.94 in interest with this VISA debt sitting in my HELOC for ~4 days.  Conversely, I would owe about $44.14 if I paid my Visa just one day late.

There is a slight chance I would forget so I am glad I set up the auto pay today.

My instinct was to just pay it all now, but why not take advantage of the zero interest on my VISA until the due date (or 2 days before to be safe).

I love the springy debt of my HELOC.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/22/springy-debt-instead-of-a-cash-cushion/

I don't do this every month, and would not recommend it unless you know the HELOC will not negatively grow over time. But we had an unexpected $4000 expense last month and only $1500 cash earmarked to cover it.  I could pull out savings or change my investment strategy but considered the automatic payment from the HELOC for only $0.94 in interest worth it.

How many of you pay off higher interest debt with lower interest debt?  Am I dancing with the Devil or making smart debt repayment choices?

Eilonwy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7245 on: September 16, 2016, 12:35:07 PM »
I called my doctor instead of going in; this may or may not work.

Yesterday I used a $10 Target coupon to buy $20 toilet paper and was a little irked that it wasn't also on sale. Then I got a $5 gift card for the purchase. So tit wound up essentially costing $5.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7246 on: September 16, 2016, 03:43:08 PM »

The VISA will be paid in full 2 days before it is due.

It is best to give yourself some more leeway than 2 days, some of the "poor" companies take their sweet time about booking in payments, more than needed, just to trigger more "late" fees...  !   90% of the time, 2 days is fine, until it suddenly isn't.

Eilonwy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7247 on: September 16, 2016, 03:47:38 PM »
Today has backfired on me. I suggested to my husband that we find recipes to use up some of the cranberry sauce that's  clogging up our pantry. He agreed, and spent $10 on ingredients for his.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7248 on: September 16, 2016, 04:18:56 PM »
Decided I got a little too generous with the dried fruit I added to my batch of granola last week, so I am making up another small batch to mix in and stretch the expensive dried fruit.

Of course I am making the granola in the heating/ cooling phase of the oven as I bake a frittata and muffins that will make several meals next week.

I have bread in the bread machine (timing just didn't work to batch bake it), I used the last of my yeast.  I always feel satisfied using up the last of something.  Of course that means I'll need to buy more soon, but I'm not wasting it!  I'm making this bread to eat with some cheese ball my boyfriend brought over a few days ago.  I don't have any crackers or anything else to eat with it, so bread it is.

The muffins are my own recipe using whole wheat flour, low sugar/ honey, ground flax seeds and lots of fruit. This time I'm using up blueberries I froze a few weeks ago when we just couldn't finish all the fresh fruit.  ill freeze these muffins and pack them in my lunches for the next week or two.

This week has been so stressful.  It felt amazing to come home and cook.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7249 on: September 16, 2016, 05:26:53 PM »
Drinking up tea that DH brought home from his work contract this week. Delicious, and free!

Turning off one zone of sprinklers because we put water hardy plants there.