Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1642400 times)

jengod

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7150 on: September 01, 2016, 05:07:23 PM »
* Parked at a city meter instead of in the dedicated underground lot, saving several dollars.

* Went to the maternity boutique planning to buy three or more nursing bras but they only had one of the my size in the style I liked, so I just bought one. I suspect that will be sufficient for the time being.

* Returned two library books that are due tomorrow, avoiding any overdue fines.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7151 on: September 01, 2016, 05:32:59 PM »

* Went to the maternity boutique planning to buy three or more nursing bras but they only had one of the my size in the style I liked, so I just bought one. I suspect that will be sufficient for the time being.

Idea: Check Amazon. You now know the make and model of your bra of choice so you can buy it anywhere. Quite possibly cheaper than the boutique.

Edit: typo

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:56:26 PM by 1967mama »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7152 on: September 01, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »
*Returned books on time to the library as well! Also, getting back the $45 (!!!!!) from a lost item that we'd paid for that was found

*leftover beef stew for lunch

*ground pork and cabbage for dinner (egg roll in a bowl)

*organized school books with kids to see what we already have and don't need to order for this year (we homeschool)

*lots of tea consumed - trying to use up my stash - slightly thrilling to recycle yet another tea box every week or so!

*grapes are 97 cents a pound! And delicious!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #7153 on: September 01, 2016, 06:22:14 PM »
Dinner for out of town guests:. Chicken from the freezer, ratatouille from garden veggies and cornbread from ingredients I had on hand.    Nice meal with no shopping required.

Fighting the urge to go shopping for fall clothes.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7154 on: September 01, 2016, 07:04:30 PM »

Idea: Check Amazon. You now how the make and model of your bra of choice so you can buy it anywhere. Quite possibly cheaper than the boutique.

I like you. Thank you!!

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7155 on: September 01, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »
In spite of being in a serious trough on the self-confidence/self-esteem curve, I managed to be brave and open up my laptop to replace the keyboard. I've been thinking of getting a new laptop (current one is 5+ years old) and I was very tempted to use the broken keyboard as an excuse. Instead I decided to drop $17 on a refurb replacement keyboard and try to do it myself. Surprisingly easy. Props to Lenovo for making that such an inexpensive part that can be replaced so simply.

I may still succumb to the new laptop in a few months since I have to come up with $4k in spend for my new Chase Sapphire Reserve, and it's getting to be an antique ... but even if a $17 part only buys me three months of laptop use, that's still worth doing. At least I'll have time to research a new purchase and wait for a sale/deal.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #7156 on: September 01, 2016, 10:09:48 PM »
I cooked swiss chard stems, instead of composting them. Tasty, and now a bunch of chard will go twice as far.

KCalla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7157 on: September 01, 2016, 11:39:06 PM »
Dollar Slice,
I have an out of warranty Lenovo laptop.   It has been back to the seller and manufacturer multiple times.  Erratically, the 2, w, s, x keys fail.  Was this at all similar to your problem?  I was told that my keyboard was replaced once, but my confidence in that is low.
Thanks.
Karen

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7158 on: September 02, 2016, 12:01:36 AM »
Dollar Slice,
I have an out of warranty Lenovo laptop.   It has been back to the seller and manufacturer multiple times.  Erratically, the 2, w, s, x keys fail.  Was this at all similar to your problem?

Sort of similar, but probably not the exact same problem; your bad keys being all in a row would make me think damage or some kind of electrical issue. Mine was simply the spacebar wearing out and no longer working 100% (you had to hit it just exactly in the right spot, and pretty hard). Checked to make sure nothing was stuck, popped it out and back in again, nothing helped. So: replaced.

I'd be surprised if you sent it back in for broken keys multiple times and they didn't actually replace the keyboard, though... :-/  It's a cheap part and a five-minute job. I wonder if it could be damage to the plug/socket on the motherboard or something like that. But worst-case scenario is throwing away ~$20 so it is worth a shot, on the off chance the repair people were incompetent/lazy.

If you happen to have a Thinkpad T420i (or compatible) I'll send you my old one and you can see if it works - you wouldn't want to keep it due to the space bar, but if it fixed the 2/w/s/x problem you'd at least know that replacing the keyboard would work.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

KCalla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7159 on: September 02, 2016, 08:54:55 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply, Dollar Slice. 
I found my repair paper work.  Clearly tells me that they did replace the keyboard.  I bet you are right and it's electrical.  Your post and reply got me thinking about the laptop again (in the closet).  Realized that that my frustration with it kept me from using it for non-keyboarding tasks.  I may have a nephew who can get some use out of it.  Thanks for sharing your repair success, you got me thinking of a "repurpose" opton.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7160 on: September 02, 2016, 09:16:42 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply, Dollar Slice. 
I found my repair paper work.  Clearly tells me that they did replace the keyboard.  I bet you are right and it's electrical.  Your post and reply got me thinking about the laptop again (in the closet).  Realized that that my frustration with it kept me from using it for non-keyboarding tasks.  I may have a nephew who can get some use out of it.  Thanks for sharing your repair success, you got me thinking of a "repurpose" opton.

Obviously it wouldnt be ideal but can you use a cheap Bluetooth keyboard with it? 

ptenn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7161 on: September 02, 2016, 12:16:30 PM »
I biked to the doctor's office where I'm waiting right now. Had to use my wife's bike because mine has a busted wheel tube that I thought I fixed but apparently is busted again. She is about 6 inches shorter than me so I looked pretty ridiculous. And holy crap is it hard to ride a smaller bike for an extended period of time.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7162 on: September 02, 2016, 04:16:07 PM »
I've decided that I will use all of the tea that I have before I buy more (which is a lot!).

Good luck!  I find this so hard to do with all the varieties of teas out there.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7163 on: September 03, 2016, 04:36:03 AM »
Returned a top for a $25 refund.

Went halves with my mum on a family birthday gift. Re-used gift bags on that gift, and another.

Cold-washed, line-dried three loads of washing.

I'm also loving the natural light in new apartment. No longer need lights on inside during the day.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7164 on: September 03, 2016, 04:42:38 AM »
I should start using up my teas too, I just had a nice cup of gingerbread tea.:)

Line dried washing as it is sunny.

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #7165 on: September 03, 2016, 04:58:39 PM »
I am currently making a quilt from fabric scraps. Reverse Garbage, a recycling shop in my town, sells books of upholstery fabric samples so I can get a dozen samples of the same fabric and pattern in a variety of colours. Arranging the samples in a pleasing pattern is quite enjoyable and when I'm finished I have an awesome throw or blanket for about $20 worth of materials. Because the pieces are relatively large, it requires fairly basic sewing skills.

KCalla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7166 on: September 03, 2016, 08:47:51 PM »
PMG - a great idea!  It had not occurred to me at all. Love this board!  Karen

Erma

• Stubble
« Reply #7167 on: September 04, 2016, 11:19:43 AM »
I mended the pocket of a pair of trousers.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #7168 on: September 04, 2016, 09:46:34 PM »
Rearranged and repurposed stuff to meet my organizational needs, instead of buying new things.  Specifically, I was thinking of buying milk crates to hold towels, and remembered I had a couple in the shop.  Used a horse supplement bucket to store the horses' salt, and another one for gathering up chicken poo.  Rounded up some tins from bulk olive and sesame oil and used them to store zip ties, etc.

Improvised a savory cornbread French toast to use up leftover cornbread for breakfast, as well as eating other leftovers.

Started a batch of salsa verde from garden produce, which I'll can tomorrow.

Made a big batch of green soup to can or freeze for later, since I'm overrun with chard, parsley, kale and collards right now, and eat loads of green soup in the winter.

Put the good handle off a worn-out shop broom on the good head of a broom that had a broken handle.  Still planning to repair the broken handle and use the worn-out broom in the garden or horse trailer.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7169 on: September 04, 2016, 10:05:54 PM »
Had a discussion with internet provider over a bill that was five times what we usually pay.

We moved, they managed to charge us two full months for apartment A and a full month for apartment B, even though we only had internet for a combined 21 days last month.

They charged us a service fee.

And they charged us for a new router, despite the customer service rep who handled the transfer promising the router would be free of charge.

I've had $120 knocked off the bill so far, but I'm not paying it till the fee for the router is also removed,

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7170 on: September 05, 2016, 05:48:45 AM »
Took out a (small) amount of cash and am taking the toddler Apple-picking this morning.

Grocery stores around here are listing apples at 2.50$/lb, which is LUDICROUS. The local orchard does you-pick for under 1$/lb, Toddler loves apples, and it gives a nice morning of entertainment on a day off work. Done and done.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7171 on: September 05, 2016, 08:50:04 AM »
Because potatoes were on sale but don't keep well in our pantry:

*Made a Spanish tortilla (basically a potato frittata) for breakfast. Super cheap and has a decent amount of protein.
*Making a batch of my mom's "braided egg bread" since it uses mashed potatoes. This will make 2 loaves to freeze (each good for 2 French toast breakfasts) and 8-10 rolls for burgers or sandwiches.
*Potato salad with dinner tomorrow.

Yesterday we used the wild elderberries we've been picking to make syrup to take as an immunity supplement. We found more bushes that aren't yet ripe, so we're also planning on jelly later in the fall.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7172 on: September 05, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »
got a haircut at home for the first time.
it doesn't save much money.
but i think we'll get fast enough that it will save me a lot of time in the future.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7173 on: September 05, 2016, 09:08:34 AM »
Doing lots of work this labor day weekend, and doing it ourselves of course.

-Bought paint on sale from Home Depot's labor day sale. $10 back on each gal ($26/per originally). Also used a $5 off $50 or more coupon I got for signing up with a mailing list.
-Painted our dining room
-Today repainting DH's office (repainted the ceiling yesterday).
-For the painting: skipped the painters tape ($$$$$ and so much work) and just taking it slow and cutting in. Also bought nicer rollers and area cleaning them and reusing them
-Had the paint counter look at the old paint the last owners left (we need to do touchups). Said the paint was fine we just need to filter it. $0.98 cone filters later, and we're in business. Saved us the price and struggle of matching the old paint.
-Replaced the lighting ourselves (4 sconces, 2 chandeliers). Going to list the old fixtures online.
-Got together with the neighbors to take out a bush they hate on our shared property line. Borrowed a tool from another neighbor, used my truck and chain to pull out the stumps. Neighbor and I each drove a truck load of brush out to a local bark/soil place, $5 dump fee. Because neighbors were the ones who wanted to bush GONE (we mildly disliked it, they hated it), they paid for materials to fill the area back in. And chose beautiful nice loamy soil. They did a dry creek arrangement on their side. I can't wait to plant my side, but need to make a plan. Yay good soil.
-Liked a rug we got off overstock, and they still had 2 available. We're getting one more- I used a 12% off coupon, and it was discounted for labor day. Not quite as cheap as I got the first one, but only ~$8 more. These are helping me cover high traffic areas (aka, stained to hell) and get away with not replacing our wall to wall carpet for a couple years.
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7174 on: September 05, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »
Saved us the ... struggle of matching the old paint.

What a productive weekend you are having!

If you do have to match old paint, take a sample in and places like Home Depot use a machine that tells them how to mix up the same color.  No struggle at all.

Sometimes the staff laugh at the sample I bring in, but I'm tough enough to take it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7175 on: September 05, 2016, 02:06:52 PM »
Saved us the ... struggle of matching the old paint.

What a productive weekend you are having!

If you do have to match old paint, take a sample in and places like Home Depot use a machine that tells them how to mix up the same color.  No struggle at all.

Sometimes the staff laugh at the sample I bring in, but I'm tough enough to take it.

I just meant that if the paints been on for a while, it can be hard to match. Light changes, batch of paint, etc. Hard to get it to work well, sometimes you have to go a shade lighter or darker for a good patch. =)
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7176 on: September 05, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »
My husband wanted to take part in an event with a $1700 entry fee.

I thought that was steep just for a fun weekend, so he called the organisers and explained what he does for a living. Bam, free entry.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7177 on: September 06, 2016, 09:47:38 AM »
Left the windows open overnight to air the paint smell out of the house. Woke up and it was 63 degrees inside. Instead of turning on the heat, I made a "nest" for the dog and then I mopped all the floors. I'm warm now, I tell you what!

Forgot to prep food for DH to take to work. Got up with him for work and made him tuna before he left. No need to buy lunch out.

ChipmunkSavings

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7178 on: September 06, 2016, 09:50:37 AM »
* I sewed a button on a pair of shorts that I am planning to use for my next vacation. Saves me the expense of buying another pair.

* Biked to work. Saved the parking fee.

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #7179 on: September 06, 2016, 02:22:55 PM »
Had some time to waste waiting for work to be done on my car.  I didn't have any errands to run and I don't like to window shop except in bookshops.  So I spent a very enjoyable half hour persuing the top 100 books section at the big bookshop in the mall.  I was, of course,  seized with the overwealming urge to buy myself a new book but then I thought better of it and whipped out my phone and recorded the names of the eight books I had liked the look of.   Have now come home and placed a hold on the titles at the library.   
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - Allen Saunders

Rubyvroom

• Stubble
« Reply #7180 on: September 06, 2016, 02:40:23 PM »
I did not pay $120 for another month of yoga membership, instead opting to ride my bike to work in the morning hours I'm normally at yoga. I've biked to work 3 times now, 15 miles round trip, so I know it can be done!

This morning, my first day without the membership, we of course experienced a thunderstorm of epic proportions, so I did not get to bike to work. Instead of letting it get me down or wasting my morning, I still got up and just threw the yoga mat down in our living room and practiced away. I still saved money, and learned it's a lot less embarrassing to fall out of an arm balance in front of your cat than in front of class.  And the dog likes to stealth lick my face while in Shavasana -_-

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #7181 on: September 06, 2016, 02:41:48 PM »
I filed the paperwork to get cash back on purchases that dropped in price. Around $30 back for half an hour's work.

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7182 on: September 06, 2016, 06:11:39 PM »
Have a pretty nasty sore throat and usually this would be my favorite excuse for comfort takeout, BUT not for this reformed spendthrift : )

Made a hash out of my leftover roasted veggies and three sunny side up eggs on top. I am full, and so is my wallet!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #7183 on: September 06, 2016, 08:19:42 PM »
Drove a little farther out of town to buy hay for $5 a bale instead of $7 a bale.  Worth it for 40 bales, and I got a free workout as well.

LorettaLynn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7184 on: September 06, 2016, 08:41:05 PM »
Took the bus to and from work today.  No car trips today. 

MrsTuxedocat

• Stubble
« Reply #7185 on: September 06, 2016, 09:24:36 PM »
My friend gave me 14 tomatoes from her garden and I made tomato sauce. All the spices were from my herb garden too!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7186 on: September 07, 2016, 04:13:54 AM »
Line dried washing.

I got some cashback.

Eating leftovers.

:)

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #7187 on: September 07, 2016, 07:18:45 AM »
-Returned library books the day before late fees applied
-Have been putting off purchasing dresses for a wedding and another event (too different to wear the same dress unfortunately) as I was dreading spending the money. Found an okay dress for $49, decided against  it and tried Goodwill instead- found two perfect, flattering dresses for $16 total.
-passing by the market they had an excess of spinach marked way down (85% off)- bought 10 bags for freezing to add into smoothies.
-Followed up on an outstanding tax rebate- they've said it'll be finalised this week- yay, $2k in the bank!
-resisted the urge to eat out for lunch, instead added pasta to leftover sauce.
-cut my own hair + DS hair, and the dogs nails.
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7188 on: September 07, 2016, 07:43:53 AM »
Took the kids out for dinner yesterday, a special treat to celebrate the first day of school -- went to a restaurant running a "kids eat free" promotion every Tuesday so only my wife and I had to pay for our meals.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #7189 on: September 07, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »
Canned about 30 pints of soup.  Planning to can more salsa tonight.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7190 on: September 07, 2016, 01:31:36 PM »
Harvested sorrel and borage greens for the chickens.

Harvested comfrey to mulch a planting bed.

Harvested an eggplant, a zucchini, little tomatoes, blackberries and two hidden-nest chicken eggs* for the humans.

* Hidden-egg chicken eggs to be tested for freshness before consumption.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #7191 on: September 07, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »
Hidden-egg chicken eggs to be tested for freshness before consumption.

Oh I love that issue. If you eat them, and don't get sick, you are good. If you eat them, and do get sick...things get weird. But eat them!! :)
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #7192 on: September 07, 2016, 03:17:23 PM »

Oh I love that issue. If you eat them, and don't get sick, you are good. If you eat them, and do get sick...things get weird. But eat them!! :)

Putting the egg in water and seeing how it sits on the bottom/if it floats is a pretty sound way to confirm freshness and if its good for consumption.  If it floats, do not eat!

farmerj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7193 on: September 07, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »
Noticed the local Whole Foods had a couple of blueberry bushes behind it, sitting next to the dumpster. Remembered that last week they'd been sitting out front, looking steadily sorrier. Went inside, asked management if I could pay $10 for the lot ($40 at last week's prices), and was told "If they're out there we've already written them off, and dumpster diving is fine by me."

So now I'm... er... off to Home Depot to buy peat moss for use as a soil amendment. Partial win!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #7194 on: September 07, 2016, 04:22:07 PM »

Putting the egg in water and seeing how it sits on the bottom/if it floats is a pretty sound way to confirm freshness and if its good for consumption.  If it floats, do not eat!

They can also rot in the shell when they're sitting out in the heat.  We've had three bad, stinky eggs in the last couple weeks from our backyard hens.  So crack each one separately.  Don't do what I did, crack them directly into the pan and have the third one in ruin the whole pan of eggs (umm, last one in WAS the rotten egg!).

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #7195 on: September 08, 2016, 09:51:58 AM »
Today:
*Got a refund online for a mistaken purchase (too button happy)
*Eating what we have instead of buying more
*Made my own chocolate with ingredients on hand
*Spent a while trying to locate a textbook instead of buying it again.  No luck but have thought of two new places to look.

Ongoing:
*Water heater is still off
*No debit card/cash use so all expenses go on air miles card
*Drying clothes on line

Recently:
*Spent some more time examining how to cut costs.  I find this to be therapeutic. 
*Cooked four things in oven at once to save electricity.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7196 on: September 08, 2016, 12:09:14 PM »
I made a rose-scented face wash out of items I had on hand when I ran out of the $$$ face wash I prefer and couldn't bear the face wash I dislike (it dries out my skin like mad and is not good). And then I put it in a pretty bottle and printed a label for it, and it's on my counter and smells lovely and helps my skin feels soft and makes me happy and it didn't cost anything.

And then I decided my basement smelled musty, and I was out of the linen spray I got as a gift, but I had some citrus and lavender essential oils, so I searched online and made my own and opened the windows and washed curtains and spritzed them lightly with the linen spray and now my basement smells non-musty and nice. Cost: 1 load of laundry.

It's sometimes the little things in life.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The MILFY Way to FIRE
« Reply #7197 on: September 08, 2016, 12:10:57 PM »
A couple months ago I gave away extra Roma tomato plants to people at work. Mine were in containers and did horribly, but one lady's went gangbusters, so she brought in a bag for me! I have just enough fresh basil left to make a batch of homemade sauce. Karma!

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #7198 on: September 08, 2016, 12:33:15 PM »
I turned down my co-worker's invite to check out a new pizza place for lunch tomorrow. Their lunch special would still have run me $12 and that's just for a cheese/1 topping pizza. Not worth it.

I've been drinking my water with crystal light at work. I fell off the no coca-cola at work wagon a few weeks ago and am trying to get back on track. Added bonus, better hydrated and healthier. Added downside, I am getting up all the time to go pee.

Catered lunch at work yesterday of giant baked potatoes. I was helpful in setting up and got a half potato for lunch and took home another one along with about 2 cups of cheddar cheese.

whateverdude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7199 on: September 08, 2016, 12:50:27 PM »
Saved $1 by buying a different brand of eggs than the ones I normally get (sorry free-range birdies, you'll get my $ once I'm on top of my debt situation).

Also, yesterday I returned some gear to REI I didn't need, and got back $630.  Wooty woot.