Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1828677 times)

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7100 on: August 28, 2016, 05:10:33 PM »
This weekend:

We took the kiddo to splash in the river.

Picked out most of the rest of what he'll need for fall/winter clothes from a big children's consignment sale (including a fancy outfit for a wedding and a puffy coat) for $43. We'll just need to get boots when it gets colder.

Cooked some decadent meals (chocolate chip scones, summer vegetable quiche, stuffed peppers, burgers and Greek salad) from ingredients we had on hand.

Picked wild elderberries to make syrup.

Temporarily moved a nightstand and lamp from our room to make the guest room more comfortable for DH's grandmother, who will be visiting for a week.

Picked up a large branch from a fallen tree on our street, and cut it into slices to make Christmas ornaments.

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7101 on: August 28, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
Cooked a whole chicken (part of a buy 1 get two free deal) and prepped all my meals.
Going into work an hour early to impress my bosses since I am in my last month of temping and want to go full time (actually love the job and it is a 5min commute: )
Watching a library DVD with the window open (AC What??) enjoying my life

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7102 on: August 28, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »
Went to next town over to get book for my book club and stock up on other reading.

Stopped to pick up badly needed oven mitts. Decided to check spice racks, since I hadn't found any in my own village stores. There was a good selection and all were on a 50% off promotion. Picked exactly the right one to fit in a dark corner of my very small kitchen counter space. That will free up cupboard space. When I picked the box up, it seemed really heavy. Turns out all the jars have spices or seasonings in them. There are several I'll be happy to use if I have them, though I wouldn't buy them for everyday use. About $30 worth of seasonings added to my pantry.

At the library, I stopped at the extra produce table on my way out and picked up fresh basil, thyme and parsley.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7103 on: August 29, 2016, 01:10:06 AM »
Pegged washing this morning.

Walked a few blocks to catch an extra train during my lunch break to save on transit later in the week.

And, after a discussion with a fellow forum member, today is two weeks without booze. A fitness rather than financial decision, but it's still saving me money.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7104 on: August 29, 2016, 09:14:19 AM »
Required textbook for the class was running around $100 at the campus bookstore. Looked around online for a used copy $46. Looked further into rentals $38. Checked the local library, no go. They only have a reference copy that can be checked out for an hour in facility use only. Finally decide to put in an interlibrary loan at the county public library and found the required first reading online for free since I doubted the book would be in in time. Get email today that book has arrived, but is not eligible for renewal so I will scan all the readings due after the return date. Win!

Just a tip -- when I did this in grad school, I was able to take photos of the required pages with my cell phone and then stitch them all together into a PDF for easier use. The tools I used in Linux were imagemagick (to convert the images into individual PDFs) and pdftk (to stitch them together into one file). If you have access to a Linux computer it might be worth a try.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #7105 on: August 29, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »
Required textbook for the class was running around $100 at the campus bookstore. Looked around online for a used copy $46. Looked further into rentals $38. Checked the local library, no go. They only have a reference copy that can be checked out for an hour in facility use only. Finally decide to put in an interlibrary loan at the county public library and found the required first reading online for free since I doubted the book would be in in time. Get email today that book has arrived, but is not eligible for renewal so I will scan all the readings due after the return date. Win!

Just a tip -- when I did this in grad school, I was able to take photos of the required pages with my cell phone and then stitch them all together into a PDF for easier use. The tools I used in Linux were imagemagick (to convert the images into individual PDFs) and pdftk (to stitch them together into one file). If you have access to a Linux computer it might be worth a try.

I have access to a nice big scanner at work that will compile the images into a searchable pdf. My plan is to come in early one day and do it all. It's around 180 pages total needed and I figure I can scan them two pages at a time. I'll have it separated by week's reading to make it more manageable.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #7106 on: August 29, 2016, 01:27:44 PM »
Last week's low carb zucchini bread turned out really well!  It looked like the "real" thing, and was much more moist.

Recipe?  Drowning in zuc over here.

Thank you for asking.  https://www.atkins.com/recipes/zucchini-nut-bread/282

I substituted the soy flour and ground almonds with almond flour, and the Sucralose with Splenda.  I'm a low carber.  ;)  DH liked the bread, as did our camping mates a few weekends ago.

I hear you about the zuc abundance, horsepoor!  I breaded (almond flour, crushed pork rinds and grated parmesan) and fried another large one last night.  Only 3 more to go... for now... :S
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:29:43 PM by MountainGal »

Kwill

• Bristles
« Reply #7107 on: August 29, 2016, 04:35:46 PM »
I bought a big bag labelled "courgettes" last week, but they are just zucchini. I like them best sliced and sauteed in oil with onions and salt and maybe pepper. My Mom does a mix of yellow squash and zucchini like that, but cooking for one, it's easier to do one vegetable at a time. The other day I cut up some chicken breast and started that cooking in the pan first before adding the zucchini, so it was a more complete meal with rice.

Anyway, I saved money today by lounging about at home on the bank holiday and eating leftover zucchini and chicken and rice. I got some writing done and took a walk. I also called and talked to my Grandma in the States for at least a half hour. I should do that more often. I'm lucky to still have grandparents and parents to call. It doesn't cost anything because of Republic Wireless, and the same would be true of Skype or maybe Google Voice or whatever.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7108 on: August 29, 2016, 04:41:35 PM »
I bought a big bag labelled "courgettes" last week, but they are just zucchini.

Aren't courgettes and zucchini two names for the the same thing anyway? :-)  Like eggplant and aubergine...

My small thing today: I called up Time Warner for the annual "you have raised my price again! I shall threaten to switch to FIOS until you give me a deal!" call. When I moved here I was paying $64/mo. After one year they got me down to $59. After another year I am now down to $45. If this keeps up I will be getting free internet service in a few years.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

Kwill

• Bristles
« Reply #7109 on: August 29, 2016, 04:57:52 PM »
I bought a big bag labelled "courgettes" last week, but they are just zucchini.

Aren't courgettes and zucchini two names for the the same thing anyway? :-)  Like eggplant and aubergine...
Well, apparently, but I'm learning the British English words for things a little at a time. I figured out that they were zucchini before deciding to buy them, but there was definitely a moment of doubt and confusion. Aubergine I had heard of. In that instance, I saved money by buying the bigger bag of less pretty zucchini that was about the same price as the small bag with perfectly shaped zucchini. Hence today's happy leftovers.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7110 on: August 29, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »
Well, apparently, but I'm learning the British English words for things a little at a time. I figured out that they were zucchini before deciding to buy them, but there was definitely a moment of doubt and confusion.

Gotcha :-)  I lived in the UK for a bit. Another one is that they call arugula "rocket" or "roquette." And be careful when you talk about pants.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7111 on: August 29, 2016, 06:02:16 PM »

I have access to a nice big scanner at work that will compile the images into a searchable pdf. My plan is to come in early one day and do it all. It's around 180 pages total needed and I figure I can scan them two pages at a time. I'll have it separated by week's reading to make it more manageable.
I'm starting grad school next week, and they offer mostly-free textbook rental. They send me the books before the semester starts, and I just pay media mail postage to send them back at the end of the semester. It's amazing, and every school should do this.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year!): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

cerat0n1a

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7112 on: August 30, 2016, 04:36:20 AM »
Gotcha :-)  I lived in the UK for a bit. Another one is that they call arugula "rocket" or "roquette." And be careful when you talk about pants.

For the sake of completeness, Cilantro = coriander, Garbanzo = chickpea.  I think US English borrowed some culinary words from Italian and British English mostly borrowed the same words from French.

Courgettes (Zucchini) are at the point in the year where we gardeners are almost paying friends & neighbours to take them off our hands....

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #7113 on: August 30, 2016, 07:21:40 AM »

I'm starting grad school next week, and they offer mostly-free textbook rental. They send me the books before the semester starts, and I just pay media mail postage to send them back at the end of the semester. It's amazing, and every school should do this.

That sounds incredible. I thought I was getting off pretty easy since the professor only required 1 textbook. There are 4 others, but they are only recommended as additional readings.

NV Teacher

• Bristles
« Reply #7114 on: August 30, 2016, 07:27:15 AM »
Spent 40 minutes on the phone with the insurance agent.  Changed a few things on the car policies and saved myself $400 a year.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7115 on: August 30, 2016, 08:28:20 AM »
I have realised that if I want to see any results from exercising that I might have to cut down on the amount of alcohol I drink in the evenings so I have spent less money on my usual grocery shop.:)

Reading a 99p book for fun today. It also had a meditation idea so I used that too.

Using up stuff from the fridge and freezer to make a healthy dinner tonight.

Kwill

• Bristles
« Reply #7116 on: August 30, 2016, 11:59:24 AM »
Oh, that's what rocket is! I am not familiar enough with arugula in any country to identify it, but I knew rocket had to have an American name, too.

I've been warned about pants. Such an innocuous word in the States, too. Need to substitute "trousers" in the following chart, but it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue in the UK anyway. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/05/am-i-wearing-pants_n_858179.html

I saved money today by bringing my lunch to work and also remembering to bring in the instant coffee that keeps me from buying coffee at work. Leftovers for dinner. Leftover cheesecake will be served shortly for dessert. It was marked down last week, and I need to use it up, right? Also need to eat up some leftover blueberries. Poor me, having to eat these leftovers. Ha ha.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7117 on: August 30, 2016, 12:27:54 PM »
Scavenged somebody's leftover catered pizza yesterday, which ended up being lunch today.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Discover referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year!): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7118 on: August 30, 2016, 01:08:06 PM »
Before buying a 2017 planner I asked at work if they covered planners as an office expense (I remembered getting an email about picking out our calendars/planners last winter, but of course I had already purchased mine on my own dime.)  They are covered, and I even got the ok to buy the specific type I like off Amazon instead of going through our office supply company.  $20+ saved!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7119 on: August 30, 2016, 03:28:39 PM »
Gave a home to many, many quilts from my downsizing parents. Also some pillow cases, a set of curtains, curtain rods, and two pairs of winter boots. Was taken out to lunch as a thank you, because I saved them the 35min trip into town for taking a donation load (nowhere to donate in their small town, but 2 restaurants there).

Stopped at Costco on my way home for cheap gas, vs waiting and going somwhere on my way home from work tomorrow.
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7120 on: August 30, 2016, 03:36:48 PM »
OK so I was at a drive thru (not perfect) but I opened my door to pick up a dime I saw on the ground by the payment by the window.

There was $3.45 on the ground.  One loonie, one twonie, one quarter and 2 dimes. Who wouldn't make the effort to pick up a $2 coin they dropped?  My SO said a frequent Fast Food customer.

Kwill

• Bristles
« Reply #7121 on: August 30, 2016, 05:10:11 PM »
Courgettes (Zucchini) are at the point in the year where we gardeners are almost paying friends & neighbours to take them off our hands....

I can save you some money by eating them for free if you really want. ;-) But maybe you can freeze them or something like that?

MrsTuxedocat

• Stubble
« Reply #7122 on: August 30, 2016, 06:03:48 PM »
OK so I was at a drive thru (not perfect) but I opened my door to pick up a dime I saw on the ground by the payment by the window.

There was $3.45 on the ground.  One loonie, one twonie, one quarter and 2 dimes. Who wouldn't make the effort to pick up a $2 coin they dropped?  My SO said a frequent Fast Food customer.

Good job! I think your SO might be onto something

MrsTuxedocat

• Stubble
« Reply #7123 on: August 30, 2016, 06:05:31 PM »
We had a pizza lunch at work today. I totally forgot about it, brought lunch anyways and now I have lunch all ready for tomorrow.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7124 on: August 30, 2016, 06:50:24 PM »
* City tree trimmers were on our street today and I got them to leave me a huge pile of shredded leaves and branches that I can use as mulch and soil amendment for our garden. Totally free and I didn't even have to drive anywhere to pick it up!

* Line-dried a load of laundry.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #7125 on: August 30, 2016, 09:38:27 PM »
Went to the feed store and returned a fly mask I bought a few months ago and never used.  I was expecting a hassle because I didn't have the receipt, but they were happy to give me $23 store credit for it.  Went to buy a bucket of supplement, but they were out of the $75/20# buckets, and the 10# buckets were $53, so I walked out and will go to the other feed store tomorrow to get the big bucket and reap the $31 in savings on top of using my monthly $10 off coupon.  $64 total saved!

Like a previous poster, I'm trying to lose a few pounds, so reducing my intake of wine, cheese and chocolate, each so delicious and expensive.  Also just having one cup of coffee with coconut oil in the morning, and then switching to tea, which is incidentally cheaper as well.

Sliced up a tough steak for fajitas tonight, and saved half of it back to use for a stirfry tomorrow, which will also keep us from going out to eat before a long-awaited concert we're attending.  If I'd cooked it all, we would have eaten it all.

Have been making some awesome homemade flavored kombuchas for nearly free, vs. the $3+ bottled stuff I was getting sucked into buying when my homemade stuff was sub par.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7126 on: August 31, 2016, 04:49:50 AM »
Gave up eye make-up wipes in favour of liquid eye make-up remover and cloth wipes. 60 cents for the cloth and $6 for the bottle which should last me a couple of months versus $7 a month for a packet of disposables.

The next step will be making, rather than buying, the liquid.

Just knocked the bottle on to the floor and spilt maybe a third of. Damn!

In other news, the floorboards in front of my bedroom mirror are sparkling. Effective and gentle with no oily residue!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7127 on: August 31, 2016, 08:40:29 AM »
Hubs needs a bank account with local branches, which our online bank does not have. He was going to sign up with Chase for the $150 checking and $100 savings bonuses they offer on their website, but after some digging a pile of old mail this morning, I found a $200+$200 offer that expires 9/2. Serendipity! $400 earned is $400 saved!

He's also going to get his annual blood draw today, which will save us $100 on health insurance next year.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:42:06 AM by Inaya »

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #7128 on: August 31, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »
Picked up a quarter in the grocery store parking lot.  Made .25

Saved .20 cents a gallon using fuel points.  Saved $4.40

Refrained from buying a coffee when buying a work associate a Starbucks gift card yesterday.  Saved $2.95

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7129 on: August 31, 2016, 11:42:21 AM »
Walked to the post office with my neighbor. We were going to walk anyway, so might as well get an errand done while we were at it.

Leftovers for lunch, and some of last night's leftover taco meat will be going into tamale pie for dinner tonight.

Volunteered as a pattern tester = free sewing pattern in exchange for feedback.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7130 on: August 31, 2016, 12:55:24 PM »
Thought I'd buy a new Eddie Bauer Lodge Parka online in the Labor Day sale. Puppy has torn a small rip in my old one, and I have a yen for a blue parka instead of black. Went online. Can get parka on sale marked down from $229 to $172. Went to closet, got out old black parka. Noted also that I already have a blue winter hooded coat, barely worn. Tried both on--both look fine. Got needle and thread, mended rip in old black parka. Good to go. X'd out of the Eddie Bauer website. Money spent? Zero.

Maurits28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7131 on: August 31, 2016, 01:30:29 PM »
Last week my SO went away for a week, and every evening meal I finished food we still had in the cup boards, freezer and fridge. Probably saved me $ 35 in take out food, which I normally do when I'm home alone.

As a side note, spent the evenings developing my programming/nerd skills which tend to be harder than I thought.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7132 on: August 31, 2016, 05:22:57 PM »
Doctor's appointment this morning: pap test, breast exam, new OCP script.

My medical centre bulk-bills so I'm out of pocket precisely 0.

In addition to the traditional pap test her practice also sends samples for a liquid pap test, which isn't covered by Medicare, but their lab now covers it ahead of a change in the national cervical cancer testing protocol next year.

Doc also told me to shop around when getting the script filled. "The in-house pharmacy just isn't competitively priced."

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7133 on: August 31, 2016, 05:48:58 PM »
*made a huge double batch of beef stew for dinner - used one of my last packages of beef from our two sides of beef from last fall. I'm rationing from now till October when our new sides are ready for the deep freeze.

*stayed HOME.

*leftover spaghetti for lunch for the masses

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7134 on: August 31, 2016, 09:03:46 PM »
-DH heard back about his work travel last week- apparently he gets a $39 per diem we weren't aware of, so that's cool. I sent him with food, so he didn't spend any of it. Same trip this week (and probably next), and sent him with food again. There's a mini fridge in his room, and he takes a cooler with an ice pack to the work site.

-Even though I felt too tired to cook after getting home from work, I didn't let the broth from our latest chicken go to waste. Made egg drop soup for dinner.
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7135 on: September 01, 2016, 07:13:32 AM »
Our team is hosting a half-day meeting today, and it'll be catered. Brought in some leftover takeout containers, so I'll probably eat for the next 2 days on whatever I take home.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7136 on: September 01, 2016, 08:23:17 AM »

Someone with a bad back or who stopped to close to the wall, and can't open car door enough to get out, of course!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7137 on: September 01, 2016, 10:21:46 AM »
Almost listed my house with a realtor to make the move back from the Heartland (LCOL area) to good, old NY...definitely a HCOL area. Then slept on it, and decided to stay in LCOL area for the foreseeable future, but make big, fun trips to NY sometimes--I am an eight-hour drive, or an easy, short plane flight away. Really want to go back, but seeing little grandchildren's sad faces when I suggested the move made it hard to do. Also planning to maximize my savings while here--easy enough to stash a lot--, so I can make the jump more easily when the grands are older...it is still my plan to go back.

Rubic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7138 on: September 01, 2016, 11:03:55 AM »
I've been waiting over a year to purchase a Tortuga backpack for
travel, even contacting the company to see if I could purchase a
returned product at a discount.

Today Tortuga sent out an email they're offering discounts on
their current backpacks before they release the new models.

http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/collections/refurbished-travel-backpacks

Even better, 50% discounts on their refurbished backpacks:

Even discounted, this may seem like a un-Mustachian price to pay for a backpack,
but I may be living out of one of these for a couple years.

Maurits28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7139 on: September 01, 2016, 11:08:26 AM »

Even discounted, this may seem like a un-Mustachian price to pay for a backpack,

Hi Rubic, great backpack!

I don't think it is un-Mustachian at all, buying good quality products that you can use over a long period is sustainable and might save you money in the long term, especially if you make a balanced decision between need and want.

Happy backpacking!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7140 on: September 01, 2016, 11:46:26 AM »

Hi Rubic, great backpack!

I don't think it is un-Mustachian at all, buying good quality products that you can use over a long period is sustainable and might save you money in the long term, especially if you make a balanced decision between need and want.

Happy backpacking!
I'm also a fan of buying quality items.  I bought a Timbuk2 messenger bag on sale in 2005, and I still regularly use it.  The bag still looks great. 

Packed breakfast, lunch, and snacks from random leftovers around the house.  We will finally get groceries this weekend.  We've been stretching our groceries that we bought almost a month ago.  Thank goodness for my friends' fruit trees and our garden.

Ran out of my morning breakfast tea.  I've decided that I will use all of the tea that I have before I buy more (which is a lot!).

Using my unlimited yoga membership every day this week, which means I haven't paid for individual barre or Pilates classes. 

allsummerlong

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7141 on: September 01, 2016, 03:55:02 PM »
Have been contemplating buying a small chest freezer to store extra food (soups, sauces, casseroles, nuts, frequently used items bought on sale, berries and peaches frozen in-season for smoothies, etc.... ). Our current freezer is stuffed to the brim.

I've decided to just do a better job of regularly sorting through the current freezer and making sure we are eating things in a timely manner, then replenishing as needed. Happy to save the ~$200 the chest freezer would have cost!

Also, got a notice from my cell phone provider that my ancient (but functional!) flip phone will no longer be serviceable on their network, as of December. Rather than buy a new phone or get one as part of a plan, I am getting a used phone from a friend for free. Will get the cheapest talk and text plan possible (Canada is pretty expensive for cell phones!).

Not only is this much cheaper for me, but I feel good about giving an unused phone a longer life. My current phone is at least 10 years old, and would still work fine if the provider supported it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:00:24 PM by allsummerlong »

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7142 on: September 01, 2016, 05:07:23 PM »
* Parked at a city meter instead of in the dedicated underground lot, saving several dollars.

* Went to the maternity boutique planning to buy three or more nursing bras but they only had one of the my size in the style I liked, so I just bought one. I suspect that will be sufficient for the time being.

* Returned two library books that are due tomorrow, avoiding any overdue fines.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7143 on: September 01, 2016, 05:32:59 PM »

* Went to the maternity boutique planning to buy three or more nursing bras but they only had one of the my size in the style I liked, so I just bought one. I suspect that will be sufficient for the time being.

Idea: Check Amazon. You now know the make and model of your bra of choice so you can buy it anywhere. Quite possibly cheaper than the boutique.

Edit: typo

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:56:26 PM by 1967mama »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7144 on: September 01, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »
*Returned books on time to the library as well! Also, getting back the $45 (!!!!!) from a lost item that we'd paid for that was found

*leftover beef stew for lunch

*ground pork and cabbage for dinner (egg roll in a bowl)

*organized school books with kids to see what we already have and don't need to order for this year (we homeschool)

*lots of tea consumed - trying to use up my stash - slightly thrilling to recycle yet another tea box every week or so!

*grapes are 97 cents a pound! And delicious!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #7145 on: September 01, 2016, 06:22:14 PM »
Dinner for out of town guests:. Chicken from the freezer, ratatouille from garden veggies and cornbread from ingredients I had on hand.    Nice meal with no shopping required.

Fighting the urge to go shopping for fall clothes.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7146 on: September 01, 2016, 07:04:30 PM »

Idea: Check Amazon. You now how the make and model of your bra of choice so you can buy it anywhere. Quite possibly cheaper than the boutique.

I like you. Thank you!!

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7147 on: September 01, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »
In spite of being in a serious trough on the self-confidence/self-esteem curve, I managed to be brave and open up my laptop to replace the keyboard. I've been thinking of getting a new laptop (current one is 5+ years old) and I was very tempted to use the broken keyboard as an excuse. Instead I decided to drop $17 on a refurb replacement keyboard and try to do it myself. Surprisingly easy. Props to Lenovo for making that such an inexpensive part that can be replaced so simply.

I may still succumb to the new laptop in a few months since I have to come up with $4k in spend for my new Chase Sapphire Reserve, and it's getting to be an antique ... but even if a $17 part only buys me three months of laptop use, that's still worth doing. At least I'll have time to research a new purchase and wait for a sale/deal.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #7148 on: September 01, 2016, 10:09:48 PM »
I cooked swiss chard stems, instead of composting them. Tasty, and now a bunch of chard will go twice as far.

KCalla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7149 on: September 01, 2016, 11:39:06 PM »
Dollar Slice,
I have an out of warranty Lenovo laptop.   It has been back to the seller and manufacturer multiple times.  Erratically, the 2, w, s, x keys fail.  Was this at all similar to your problem?  I was told that my keyboard was replaced once, but my confidence in that is low.
Thanks.
Karen