Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1563264 times)

SoccerLounge

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6700 on: July 10, 2016, 11:16:04 AM »
I needed a cooling rack of some sort today. Goodwill had one for $3. But the dollar store had four for a buck! Now I can cool just about anything I could ever reasonably make without relying on the kludged-together aluminum foil versions I'd previously used.

I also had a delicious brunch... at home.

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #6701 on: July 10, 2016, 01:05:13 PM »
So morning sickness is a filthy lie - it's all-day nausea and not eating.

I bought some prepared food for my husband and child, and I'm basically keeping down frozen fruit and the occasional fresh vegetable or bagel. Turns out, basically not eating lowers your grocery bill.mwho knew.

I am told there are drugs for this. I want them.

This is a bummer! I didn't throw up much but also just felt constantly gross. Blech.

I say try the drugs. Not to be a pusher or anything. I never did, but there's no reason to be a martyr! FWIW I did not have the same troubles the second time through.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #6702 on: July 11, 2016, 12:34:28 AM »

I bought some prepared food for my husband and child, and I'm basically keeping down frozen fruit and the occasional fresh vegetable or bagel. Turns out, basically not eating lowers your grocery bill.mwho knew.

This is a bummer! I didn't throw up much but also just felt constantly gross. Blech.

I say try the drugs. Not to be a pusher or anything. I never did, but there's no reason to be a martyr! FWIW I did not have the same troubles the second time through.

Zofran works quite well for some people.  It's hellishly expensive if you're paying for it out of pocket, but if your insurance covers it, there you go.  One of my friends is successfully using it now to get through what was otherwise horrid morning sickness.

(And, uh, this is not medical advice, but if you have any leftover afterward, keep it around.  It's a godsend if you / your partner ever have to have a colonoscopy and find that all the crap you have to drink beforehand makes you sick.)
--
no-nonsense interest calculators, fast enough for mobile:
https://www.angio.net/finance/calc.html

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #6703 on: July 11, 2016, 12:53:59 AM »

Tough times, Foxy. If it helps you at all, moms who get morning sickness tend to have healthier babies. No idea why. I also read somewhere that it actually has a purpose, to keep you from eating certain foods. Good luck, and I hope you find the good meds!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6704 on: July 11, 2016, 05:34:22 AM »

Tough times, Foxy. If it helps you at all, moms who get morning sickness tend to have healthier babies. No idea why. I also read somewhere that it actually has a purpose, to keep you from eating certain foods. Good luck, and I hope you find the good meds!

I'm gonna keep telling myself that re: healthy babies.mno idea if it's true, but I'll take the encouragement! Second theory only works if "certain foods" means "most foods". Ugh.

Plus side, I guess: my jeans are loose, my grocery bill is super low, and I managed to book a dr apt next week.

If this follows the same pattern as last time I'll be ok by mid-August, but that's a long time to go with little food. Yay prenatal vitamins, I guess...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6705 on: July 11, 2016, 06:00:28 AM »
A frugal but satisfying evening.

Scored an early mark from work which meant I got home in time to change and go out for a long walk while there was still some light in the sky.

Leftovers for dinner, and Gilmore Girls (don't judge me) on Netflix while I declutter the pantry ahead of our (likely) upcoming move*.

Anyone know if almonds are still ok if they've gone slightly soft? I had slivered almonds in a sealed container and they've softened. Keep or toss?

*On Sunday we found a new unit. Today I submitted rental application forms. If all goes well, we're out in three weeks. Fast turn around but I am up to the challenge. I think. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6706 on: July 11, 2016, 08:09:25 AM »

Scored an early mark from work which meant I got home in time to change and go out for a long walk while there was still some light in the sky.

Leftovers for dinner, and Gilmore Girls (don't judge me) on Netflix while I declutter the pantry ahead of our (likely) upcoming move*.

Anyone know if almonds are still ok if they've gone slightly soft? I had slivered almonds in a sealed container and they've softened. Keep or toss?

*On Sunday we found a new unit. Today I submitted rental application forms. If all goes well, we're out in three weeks. Fast turn around but I am up to the challenge. I think. :)

Re: the almonds. You can toast them in the oven to re-crisp them a bit. They'd make a good spiced nut recipe I bet too!

They should be plenty safe. I know people will often soak almonds and then oven crisp them to reduce phytate content, so I can't imagine this is particularly different =) If they've got a green tinge, though, or an acrid taste, toss 'em!
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6707 on: July 11, 2016, 12:13:11 PM »

Re: the almonds. You can toast them in the oven to re-crisp them a bit. They'd make a good spiced nut recipe I bet too!

They should be plenty safe. I know people will often soak almonds and then oven crisp them to reduce phytate content, so I can't imagine this is particularly different =) If they've got a green tinge, though, or an acrid taste, toss 'em!

You could also put them in a food processor with a little oil and they would be yummy almond butter for toast.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6708 on: July 11, 2016, 12:22:22 PM »
Unplanned savings: last week went to stay with in-laws because MIL was in the hospital. Commuted from their house to work. DH needed our car, so I borrowed my FIL's TDI. Offered to pay for a fill, but he wasn't worried- it gets ~50mpg. So that saved a good $30-40 in gas for me.

Our garden peas are winding down, but I was still able to get enough to really flush out our stir fry last night. Also featured: carrots of odd texture because they got frozen at the back of the fridge, floppy left over bok choy, a cheap "ugly rack" bell pepper ($0.59 instead of $1.19). Used chives from the garden, which are miraculously still producing after 1.5 years and neglect through the winter. Got the sambal oelek at our discount grocer, Grocery Outlet. It was a delicious stir fry with an awesome texture.

Saving the nice looking Atlas jars from our pasta sauce from Costco for food storage.

Starting the deep cleaning process on our rental, because we move in 1 month, and our land lady will be showing the place before then. Hoping an easy showing for her = more deposit back for us.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6709 on: July 11, 2016, 05:07:54 PM »

You could also put them in a food processor with a little oil and they would be yummy almond butter for toast.

Excellent, glad I didn't toss them.

Thank you for the suggestions.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #6710 on: July 11, 2016, 08:42:53 PM »
Made pesto from the garden with the rind of a Parmesan wedge, a random handful of nuts, and vinegar instead of lemon juice. 

Baked cookies for the meeting I'm hosting tomorrow.  I don't HAVE to bring anything, but it keeps the troops happy, and homemade cookies are cheaper than a box of donuts.

Was offered 8 bales of free hay while I was out at the barn tonight.  It's about $6/bale, so $48 saved if it turns out to be good hay.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6711 on: July 12, 2016, 12:56:11 AM »
I've been coveting a wire stand to store cutting boards (somehow went from two to eight in the space of a year), but I refused to pay $25-$30.

Just spotted a vintage file rack at work which will do the job beautifully.

Boss gave it to me on the spot. "I didn't see anything. You were never here."

piercrab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6712 on: July 14, 2016, 07:39:35 AM »
Sold unused child life vest for $10 on craigslist and regain some closet space.  It's a good feeling to let unused items go knowing it will be re-used.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #6713 on: July 14, 2016, 09:36:44 AM »
The other day I was going to go buy some wood dowels to tie my giant over-taking tomatillo plants to. However, I just used garden twine and tied it to the cage it's growing around. It's worked out pretty good for the time being. Saved time and money right there.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #6714 on: July 14, 2016, 10:20:07 AM »
Made the best marinara sauce I have ever had with tomatoes from my mother's garden and basil from mine.  I just wish I had made MORE of it!

Cognitive Miser

• Stubble
« Reply #6715 on: July 14, 2016, 01:26:55 PM »
I called Capital One today and very nicely asked about getting the annual fee, and subsequent late charge dropped from my account, as I hadn't been using the card, and didn't know the annual fee was due.  They refunded me the $84 and changed me from the Venture to the fee-free Quicksilver card, for about a 5-minute phone call.

I've been thinking of doing this for an airline card issued by Chase.  Since getting a dog and then having children, I really haven't been flying.  Good to know it was worth the time!

Today I read this article about Amazon Hacks, remembered I had a few lingering giftcards that were wedding gifts more three years ago, and added about $12 to my Amazon account!
https://wallethacks.com/amazon-prime-hacks/

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6716 on: July 14, 2016, 03:11:17 PM »
Free train trip home yesterday as the ticket scanners were broken.

Ate leftovers for dinner.

Slowly eating our way through the freezer before we move, plus I was home alone, so grocery spending this week was limited to bread, milk and garbage bags (for the move).

Stachey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6717 on: July 14, 2016, 03:24:35 PM »
Harvested my first crop of raspberries today YUMMMMMMM!!!!
For five minutes of effort I got more raspberries than I can get at the store in a plastic clamshell for $2.99!!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6718 on: July 14, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
Harvested my first crop of raspberries today YUMMMMMMM!!!!
For five minutes of effort I got more raspberries than I can get at the store in a plastic clamshell for $2.99!!

Fantastic!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6719 on: July 14, 2016, 04:43:26 PM »
A very good day -- reread the new MMM article then I:

*hung a load of laundry to dry in the free wind
*baked a large loaf of French bread and started another batch of refrigerator dough
*baked a dozen hamburger buns to hold our salmon burgers tonite
*baked a pan of cinnamon buns with the rest of the dough
*soup for lunch with homemade stock from last week's whole chicken, leftover chicken bits, leftover rice and veggies
*chain cooking in the oven
*lots of tea at home
*lettuce from my garden for salmon burgers - first time successfully growing lettuce from seed!

G-dog

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6720 on: July 14, 2016, 05:12:07 PM »
Welcome back 1967mama - I've been wondering what you've been up to and hoping that all is OK. Maybe you've been here all along, posting on threads I don't typically read - but just in case, good to 'see' you again.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6721 on: July 14, 2016, 06:14:39 PM »

*baked a large loaf of French bread and started another batch of refrigerator dough
*soup for lunch with homemade stock from last week's whole chicken, leftover chicken bits, leftover rice and veggies
*lots of tea at home
*lettuce from my garden for salmon burgers - first time successfully growing lettuce from seed!

Impressive!

(I really enjoyed the new MMM post. A good one to share with people to introduce them to some new ideas.)

Welcome back 1967mama - I've been wondering what you've been up to and hoping that all is OK. Maybe you've been here all along, posting on threads I don't typically read - but just in case, good to 'see' you again.

Seconded! I've missed your updates.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6722 on: July 14, 2016, 06:17:49 PM »

*lots of tea at home

Ooooh I want some cinnamon buns omg that sounds so goooood....

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #6723 on: July 14, 2016, 09:33:49 PM »
Heading out for a week long road trip tomorrow, and I was thinking that I might pay for a day pass at a gym once or twice, then I realized that I could just throw my kettlebell in the car and be that weird person swinging iron around at the rest area!

Otherwise, the trip is going to be rather unmustachian, at least for the first half.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6724 on: July 15, 2016, 12:40:55 AM »
WOW! I'm touched by the warm reception here! I haven't posted for months and months. So, so busy! (very large family, homeschooling SAHM) but I've been lurking around on a few threads this week and decided to jump back in here. Things have slowed down a teeny tiny bit during the summer holidays. Lovely to be back :-)

MissNancyPryor

• Stubble
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #6725 on: July 15, 2016, 08:26:29 AM »
That lettuce is gorgeous.  I gotta figure a way to get a fall crop going, need to find just a teeny space to do it.

My savings thing was that I got a flat tire fixed for free.  Usually no big deal but DH was out of town, it is a full size spare, and they are oversized 19" mo-hums which was really tough and I was seconds away from calling AAA after struggling for quite some time. (I am kind of small so it was really hard to get that spare on.)  But I did it!  Free flat repair down at the shop we always go to.  I am sure it would have been at least $100 for a house call plus time spent standing around waiting for AAA.

Filthy and sweaty but cash firmly in pocket, and a workout of my core as a bonus.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6726 on: July 15, 2016, 04:21:52 PM »
WOW! I'm touched by the warm reception here! I haven't posted for months and months. So, so busy! (very large family, homeschooling SAHM) but I've been lurking around on a few threads this week and decided to jump back in here. Things have slowed down a teeny tiny bit during the summer holidays. Lovely to be back :-)

Hope you get some time for yourself amid the busyness. :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6727 on: July 15, 2016, 11:22:06 PM »
Small things I did today to save money:

*Baked up a blueberry crisp with the last of a 10lb box of blues that was languishing in the fridge

*Stocked up on bulk spices at a bulk store tonite - also, cheap herbal tea and extracts

*Picked up my new Instant Pot at the Post Office - bought on Amazon Prime Day lightning deal - cooked a whole chicken (from our freezer stash of 60 chickens from our organic farmer friend). It was perfect! It was sixty minutes from when I turned it on till when I could open the lid. I'm going to love this device! Doing some steel cut oats for breakfast and chick peas tomorrow to whip up a couple of family sized batches of hummus ... Mmmmm!

*Saved juice and bones from chicken to make stock tomorrow

*Showering every other day instead of daily

*Cleared out another box full of too small baby boy clothes. I'm 49 so I'm almost certain there will be no more babies! Haha! Less clutter=more organized household which indirectly saves me money

*Didn't buy a new planner even though my current one has two glaring calendar mistakes. I just wrote over the numbers. Non-frugal me just wants a new one. This one is good till June 2017. JUST SAY NO!!!

*Family ate up all sorts of leftovers today for lunch - no one got sick

*Summer craft - younger kids made bracelets with dollar store pony beads and alphabet beads.

*Read on our city website that there are 6 "free" days this summer to dispose of large household items at a central location -- mattresses, tires, old furniture, old car seats, etc. Stuff in good shape will go to Salvation Army. Saves dump fees. Will be getting these dates in my planner

misshathaway

• Stubble
« Reply #6728 on: July 16, 2016, 01:52:51 AM »
The parks department had a free learn-to-fish lesson. They even provided the poles. Went to that. Caught a sunfish. It was fun. Will be on the lookout for fishing poles at yard sales now.

Walked to the library instead of driving to pick up a book I had requested. If you are willing to wait a few weeks there is almost no book you have to buy.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6729 on: July 16, 2016, 03:31:52 AM »
Put together three long lists of books to sell off -- if they all sell, I should net over $200.  Also just posted an offer for my Kitchenaid stand mixer to a message from someone who was looking for one a few weeks ago -- asking what I paid for that (around $400) -- hope I can get it!

DH and DS went hiking so I fed DD leftovers and had yogurt with roasted millet and fruit myself.  Making pasta for dinner.  DH/DS bought some fruit and some snack food on their hike, but didn't spend a ton. 

Making pasta for dinner.  Cracked open a bottle of wine that has been sitting around for over a year -- added some to the pasta sauce and will enjoy the rest over the next couple of days (it is surprisingly good for a cheap Chilean wine!).  Using the leftover pasta water to try to cook some really old chickpeas to make hummus.  If they stay hard as rocks I'll just throw them out, but thought it was worth a try since I have tahini to use up anyway.  We can have the hummus tomorrow with the salmon and asparagus we already have planned (dip carrots and cucumbers in it for a crudite everybody likes).
Wherever you go, there you are

ehallison

• Stubble
« Reply #6730 on: July 16, 2016, 06:52:55 AM »
I washed my car yesterday.  I've owned this car for 4 years and never actually washed it myself (hanging head in mustachian shame).  For the first 2 1/2 years, the local car wash had a M-W morning special so I could get a thorough inside/out wash for $10 including tip.  I did that about once a month.  Then they raised prices suddenly, so it cost me $14 for the same thing.  I reduced my frequency a little.  Then when I went last month it cost $16!  I decided I was done with that.  Washing the exterior took me 20 minutes, start to finish, including the time it took for hubby to come out with a wrench to adjust the faucet.  I decided it was too hot to do the interior, so I'll get that done this morning.  It will maybe take me another 15 minutes for a vacuum and wipe-down. 

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6731 on: July 16, 2016, 08:57:08 AM »
I made a decadent breakfast: overnight yeasted waffles with homemade blueberry syrup and a fresh batch of iced coffee, then we went on a long walk and picked wild blackberries. DH is off to swim lessons with the little man, then we'll clean the house during naptime. A lovely, low cost Saturday.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6732 on: July 16, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
I washed my car yesterday.  I've owned this car for 4 years and never actually washed it myself (hanging head in mustachian shame).  For the first 2 1/2 years, the local car wash had a M-W morning special so I could get a thorough inside/out wash for $10 including tip.  I did that about once a month.  Then they raised prices suddenly, so it cost me $14 for the same thing.  I reduced my frequency a little.  Then when I went last month it cost $16!  I decided I was done with that.  Washing the exterior took me 20 minutes, start to finish, including the time it took for hubby to come out with a wrench to adjust the faucet.  I decided it was too hot to do the interior, so I'll get that done this morning.  It will maybe take me another 15 minutes for a vacuum and wipe-down.

If you are washing your car yourself, I HIGHLY recommend this product: https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NR2010Q-Rinse-Wash-Shine/dp/B00D8DR0AO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468697393&sr=8-2&keywords=rinse+free+car+wash

No messing around with hoses, faucets, etc. Just get a bucket of water, some towels, and you are good to go. I use this because of water restrictions/the drought in CA - it's a great product.

brute

• Bristles
« Reply #6733 on: July 16, 2016, 04:28:23 PM »
Stocked up on meat today. Pork loin, pork steaks, and whole chickens were 40% off. Freezer is full and I've got meat for the month.

SoccerLounge

• Bristles
« Reply #6734 on: July 16, 2016, 05:36:06 PM »
Made all meals at home, and didn't drive unnecessarily!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6735 on: July 16, 2016, 07:48:07 PM »
*Made soup stock and chick peas (separately!) in my new Instant Pot. This machine is a thing of beauty, I tell ya!

*Picked up son at First Aid course (1/2 hr drive away). Turned around and came
right back home.

*Had multiple mugs of tea at home with bulk bought tea

*Watched a library video of the band Pentatonix

*Kids are playing with Dollar Store super soakers

*Baked a loaf of French bread Togo with soup for dinner

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6736 on: July 17, 2016, 03:18:53 AM »
Had a long weekend away with friends - caught public transport to the airport for flights booked with points, stayed with friends in their beautiful, beautiful house, cooked and ate at home all meals bar one, played board games, watched movies, and just spent lovely time together.

Back home this morning. Laundry (cold wash, line-dried), eating out the freezer (stretching it as long as possible between grocery shops), now having a quiet evening of Netflix and looking at the numbers.

Rubic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6737 on: July 17, 2016, 08:24:44 AM »
The kitchen track lighting stopped working.  I suspected it might be the 3-way switch. However after replacing it, no luck.  I was about to call an electrician, but thought I'd give it one more try by stripping away more insulation and scrapping the contacts with a box cutter.  Voilà!

Total cost of parts for the repair: $1.88 for a 15 amp light switch from Home Depot.

tyort1

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6738 on: July 17, 2016, 02:36:11 PM »
Quit dairy.  Actually quit it 3 weeks ago, and it seems to be sticking so I am posting about it now.  Its amazing how much you save when you stop buying heavy cream, yogurt, cheese, butter and ice cream!
Frugalite in training.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6739 on: July 17, 2016, 03:05:28 PM »
I started feeling ill on Friday night, so I haven't left the apartment all weekend and I've barely eaten anything. Pros: cheap! Cons: Have batch-cooked food in the fridge that needs eating, but I can't face it right now, and I'm afraid it will go to waste.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #6740 on: July 17, 2016, 03:21:04 PM »
Sold a pair of old hiking boots that I no longer use for $5.  Mostly this was about reducing clutter prior to moving.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6741 on: July 17, 2016, 03:25:57 PM »
Sold our microwave, waiting on someone to come by and we will hopefully sell our TV stand. Waiting until we're in the new place to sell our washer and dryer from here. Yay moving! Let's not talk about all the costs of switching everything and moving... haha. We have coordinated using trucks and trailers from family for the move though, so no renting anything there.

Cheap Sunday: went hiking, played pokemon go, having a junk food dinner (beer and pizza from frozen) at home. Walked to a nearby coffee shop to get a double shot of espresso to pour over vanilla ice cream we got on sale for some homemade affogato. Now we'll watch a show on Netflix, which I have because Brother got me 3 months for my birthday (probably expiring soon though- we won't renew).

SoccerLounge

• Bristles
« Reply #6742 on: July 17, 2016, 04:03:38 PM »
Walked to a nearby coffee shop to get a double shot of espresso to pour over vanilla ice cream we got on sale for some homemade affogato.

Buy a 35 dollar Mr. Coffee espresso machine. 90% of the way there to 'outstanding coffee shop espresso' and will save you a ton of money in the long run, specially if you use good-but-cheap coffee like Café Bustelo. Then you'll save even more money on those affogato treats! :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6743 on: July 17, 2016, 04:12:27 PM »
Walked to a nearby coffee shop to get a double shot of espresso to pour over vanilla ice cream we got on sale for some homemade affogato.

Buy a 35 dollar Mr. Coffee espresso machine. 90% of the way there to 'outstanding coffee shop espresso' and will save you a ton of money in the long run, specially if you use good-but-cheap coffee like Café Bustelo. Then you'll save even more money on those affogato treats! :)

It's the one and only we've done =) And we're actually reducing our coffee overall. Otherwise I totally would consider that =)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6744 on: July 17, 2016, 04:33:40 PM »
*Pancakes and bacon for lunch after church. I call it "Mom Hop!"

*Made a loaf of French bread to go with dinner

*Daughter made Mexican Lentils for the company coming for dinner

*Sons washed and detailed a friend's car for a bit of $$  (ETA: He paid them $10 each!)

*Yummy cups of Earl Grey tea at home

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:20:10 AM by 1967mama »

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #6745 on: July 17, 2016, 04:47:05 PM »
I Don't know if I qualify it as saving money since I don't normally eat it, but made some pickled red onions and some sauerkraut.  We'll see if the recipe for the sauerkraut is more to my liking!

Also, making a sound amplifier as a present out of $5 dollars worth of wood.  Next up, replacing the desk with a new one also made from wood!  If I can do it for less than 170 I'm set!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6746 on: July 17, 2016, 05:02:53 PM »
Can't believe I forgot to post this one yesterday.

Paid off my husband's HECS debt (on the advice of two accountants who are also wonderful friends).

We could easily cover it with money from savings but I had been holding off to see how the chips would fall at tax time.

His net pay will go up now that the payments aren't being taken out as tax.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6747 on: July 17, 2016, 06:22:58 PM »
I was asked to make dinner for a potluck, and so picked rhubarb from the family patch and made a huge gingered rhubarb crisp. Total cost of ingredients: less than 1$.

I was expecting leftovers, and found the pan scraped clean. Success! :)

HappierAtHome

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6748 on: July 17, 2016, 08:04:07 PM »

Paid off my husband's HECS debt (on the advice of two accountants who are also wonderful friends).

We could easily cover it with money from savings but I had been holding off to see how the chips would fall at tax time.

Congrats! I know that opinions on paying off HECS are varied here, but I was so pleased to have paid mine off.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6749 on: July 17, 2016, 09:23:33 PM »

Congrats! I know that opinions on paying off HECS are varied here, but I was so pleased to have paid mine off.

Thanks!

I ummed and ahhed about it for a while, but finally listened to much wiser financial minds than mine (including one who is a regular around these parts). :)

And does feel good to have it paid off. Now for mine...