Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2204932 times)

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6550 on: June 21, 2016, 07:48:12 AM »
Cleaned my beloved sun hat--I had set a bag of groceries on top of it, not realizing that the blackberries were leaking juice, and ended up with purple stains all over it. It's "straw" so I wasn't sure it could go in the washer. Turns out those Tide pens work great--you can still see faint marks but the hat is wearable again...good thing because I need it for an outdoor event in the next couple of weeks.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6551 on: June 21, 2016, 10:51:19 AM »
I am debating a small thing to save money and I'm asking for opinions: I have one of those quarterly rewards cards (e.g. you get bonus points for groceries for three months, gas for three months, etc.) and groceries are 5% cash back until the end of June. I was thinking about buying some grocery store gift cards to get the discount for another few months or so. But it's such a small difference that I'm wondering if the risk/reward is worth it since a gift card could be lost or stolen. I could save $15 on $500, but is it worth the risk of losing the whole thing?

I think I'm a little wary because I lost a $50 gift card once*, and had another gift card stop working for no reason (I did get my money back on that one but it was a hassle and took several weeks).

* Mustachian People Problem: takes 6+ months to stop being angry at self for losing gift card
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6552 on: June 21, 2016, 11:45:55 AM »
I am debating a small thing to save money and I'm asking for opinions: I have one of those quarterly rewards cards (e.g. you get bonus points for groceries for three months, gas for three months, etc.) and groceries are 5% cash back until the end of June. I was thinking about buying some grocery store gift cards to get the discount for another few months or so. But it's such a small difference that I'm wondering if the risk/reward is worth it since a gift card could be lost or stolen. I could save $15 on $500, but is it worth the risk of losing the whole thing?

I think I'm a little wary because I lost a $50 gift card once*, and had another gift card stop working for no reason (I did get my money back on that one but it was a hassle and took several weeks).

* Mustachian People Problem: takes 6+ months to stop being angry at self for losing gift card

Some gift cards will let you register them online, then you can use them with the store's mobile app. Once you do that, you can toss the card completely. Starbucks and Barnes & Noble are the examples I know offhand, but I'm sure there are more. Figure out which ones you could potentially purchase, then research them to see if you can register them.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6553 on: June 21, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »
Some gift cards will let you register them online, then you can use them with the store's mobile app. Once you do that, you can toss the card completely. Starbucks and Barnes & Noble are the examples I know offhand, but I'm sure there are more. Figure out which ones you could potentially purchase, then research them to see if you can register them.

I was looking at buying gift cards for the actual grocery store, not random store gift cards off the rack. I don't spend enough money at any of those kinds of places to make it worthwhile keeping track of a gift card. But the grocery store is a weekly thing, so that seemed to make sense. It looks like one of the stores I shop at has an app but it doesn't say anything about gift cards in it.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6554 on: June 21, 2016, 12:10:22 PM »
Amazon gave us a $5 credit for reloading a gift card on our account with $100. And we put it on the card we get 3% back from amazon on. So 3% back on $100, then a $5 credit. It'll get used- we do amazon subscribe and save for some key staple items like dog food, lara bars for work, mascara, tooth paste, etc.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Rubic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6555 on: June 21, 2016, 12:19:34 PM »

I've often bought myself grocery gift cards at Trader Joe's to meet minimum spend requirements when churning credits cards.  You could purchase 5 x $100 cards to reduce the risk that a single $500 card would be lost/stolen.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #6556 on: June 21, 2016, 12:24:30 PM »
Just wrote out a menu for the five nights my dad will be visiting.  Only need to buy lettuce for salads, but will be able to make everything else with stuff I have on hand.  Got a free zucchini from a co-worker that will round out our veggie dish tonight.

Running fans and opening up the house at night to minimize A/C usage during the day.

Had a free lunch at a work meeting yesterday; today's lunch is leftover lentils with ham and carrots

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #6557 on: June 21, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »
My employer gives us 3 hours each week to perform physical fitness activities.  Since the gyms are inconveniently far I usually just walk inside or outside my building.  Also I don't want to get all sweaty and then return to the office.

I've now decided that twice a week I'm going to the gym, I will perform some sort of physical activity that  gets my heart rate up, and I'll shower at the gym afterward.

This is a win for my health AND by showering at work I'm saving electricity at home (hot-water) and saving time in the evening because I don't need a shower at home.  Triple win.

Hadilly

• Stubble
« Reply #6558 on: June 22, 2016, 07:09:16 AM »
Noodle: boiling water will get out most berry stains. It's pretty magical to watch the color vanish.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6559 on: June 22, 2016, 07:28:20 AM »
Noodle: boiling water will get out most berry stains. It's pretty magical to watch the color vanish.

Hopefully there will be no more hat accidents but that's good to know for the future!

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6560 on: June 22, 2016, 12:18:29 PM »
Ordered a belt for our dryer on Amazon last night - under $10.  We can live without a working dryer for a couple more days and we're fixed.

Amazing how simple older washer's and dryers are under the hood.

PDM

• Stubble
    • Punk Dog Accessories - Blog
« Reply #6561 on: June 22, 2016, 03:41:03 PM »

I'd only buy what you can use before they expire. Also, a major store here in Australia went bust and the cards were worthless. The cards are considered unsecured credit and rank below other creditors if a company goes into administration.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6562 on: June 22, 2016, 04:55:55 PM »
Rode bike home from work the scenic way to the supermarket. Lots of stuff marked down for last day of sale. Plus the cash register tape price didn't match the shelf price for my red peppers, so I challenged and got them for free. Supper tonight is discount sausage and free peppers, fried in leftover bacon fat, over excellent bread I took home after a dept. reception yesterday. Total cost about 56 cents Canadian per huge serving.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6563 on: June 22, 2016, 06:14:30 PM »
Claimed $47 worth of expenses at work, and followed up a $45 refund owing from an airline.

Also, I had forgotten to factor in holiday loading from two recent days of annual leave so that was a little bonus yesterday.

And my husband is considering dropping his union/professional association membership, which would save us $700/year.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6564 on: June 23, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »
Two items, both involving shipping. 

Online shipping for a heavy item (not available locally) was $48, so I called and they lowered it to the actual cost of $22.56.

The other was an Amazon return.  My fault, so I needed to pay shipping to return it, but oddly, the only option listed was $8.05 for UPS (for a 2 ounce item!)  I started an online chat and got a return authorization and mailed it myself for $1.36.

Sometimes, ya just gotta ask (something my DH is loathe to do).

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6565 on: June 23, 2016, 09:15:26 AM »

I'd only buy what you can use before they expire. Also, a major store here in Australia went bust and the cards were worthless. The cards are considered unsecured credit and rank below other creditors if a company goes into administration.

Most gift cards in the US don't expire, but if the store goes bankrupt, yeah, SOL.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6566 on: June 23, 2016, 08:19:25 PM »

Yeah, I think I decided it's not worth the risk/annoyance of keeping track of them/having to keep months' worth of grocery money tied up, just to save an extra 3%.

On the theme of groceries, today I ate slightly sandy leftover roasted asparagus with my dinner instead of throwing them away. Won't need my mineral supplement tonight! Note to self: wash asparagus more carefully.
Referrals for...

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #6567 on: June 23, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
Clothes washer drain clogged up. I took off the panels and found the drain filter (thanks youtube!), unclamped it and it was chock-full of grunge. Hard to tell, but I think the majority was from an ancient scrub pad that snuck in from the wash. The washer is ten years old and the drain had never been cleaned! Now it is back together and working.
That's the good. The bad is I couldn't get the spring clamps back on the hoses in the tight little space under the washer. My arms are too big, and the space is very tight. So I had to spend a few dollars at the hardware store and buy screw-type hose clamps. That worked, and now all is good.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6568 on: June 24, 2016, 09:04:58 AM »
Stopped at Aldi on the way home last night. After paying, I found to my dismay that I hadn't packed my shopping bag in my backpack. So rather than spend money on a bag (when I have millions at home already), I shoved what I could into my backpack and toted the rest in a cardboard box.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6569 on: June 24, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »
Couldn't find a dress like I wanted for under 200$. Spent 15$ on linen fabric and 2 hours of sewing, and I now have a great floor-length black dress just like I wanted. Woohoo skills!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6570 on: June 24, 2016, 09:16:31 PM »
Cut homegrown sunflowers from our backyard for a housewarming gift instead of stopping at Trader Joe's to buy plastic-wrapped sunflowers.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6571 on: June 24, 2016, 10:15:25 PM »
As a date night with my wife, I made homemade pizza and we watched a movie at home instead of going out for dinner and a movie. Saved us approximately $50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6572 on: June 25, 2016, 03:09:59 PM »
Given the hot weather, I have been pulling out some of the sandwich recipes I had filed away. Was thinking about looking around for a panini press at the thrift store/garage sales...then realized my waffle iron has plates that can be turned over to be flat grill plates. Worked great!

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #6573 on: June 25, 2016, 04:02:33 PM »
Hanging the clothes outside to dry.  Saves on the cooling and power!

And grilling (ish) some homemade beef jerky while I'm at it!

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #6574 on: June 25, 2016, 04:24:26 PM »
Making (instead of buying) some nice bread to go with dinner.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #6575 on: June 25, 2016, 06:39:31 PM »
We were going to take my dad downtown to hit a couple breweries and then get dinner.  Then we decided that it would be better to pick up  take out instead.   Then I checked the tofu in the fridge and saw that it would expire while I'm out of town this week, so I turned it into a nice curry with other ingredients that probably would have gone bad in my absence.  Probably $40 saved not to mention gas and wasted food!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6576 on: June 25, 2016, 09:29:59 PM »
Used homegrown red cabbage, homegrown green onion and leftover roast chicken to fill pita wraps for dinner.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6577 on: June 26, 2016, 05:38:20 PM »
Biked to/from a potluck, made arrangements with some fellow guests to do a big collective preserving day later in the season.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #6578 on: June 26, 2016, 05:45:00 PM »
Today was another travel day for me.  Filled my water bottle after going through airport security, and also discovered that one of the coffee shops near the gate only charges $1 for a coffee refill if you bring your own mug.  Brought homegrown raspberries and a Quest bar instead of eating lunch, and felt smug sitting next to someone with a big iced coffee, bottled water and sandwich from the airport Starbuck's, which probably put her out $15 total vs. my $3 for the Quest bar and the coffee.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6579 on: June 26, 2016, 06:03:16 PM »
Spent the weekend away but stayed with a good mate, so accommodation was free.

If I'd been at home I would have tried to resist the temptation to put the heater on, but my friend had his fire roaring away all weekend so I made the most of it. (I spent so long laying in front of the fire reading that he brought me a pillow so I could really get comfy. :) )

Ran a few errands for my mum, including a trip to a discount pharmacist which saved her $65. She gave me $50 to say thank you. I resisted, telling her I did it to save her money, not make money. "Yes, but you're a busy girl", said while poking money in the pocket of my jeans.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #6580 on: June 26, 2016, 07:45:56 PM »
Picked 5lb of wild raspberries (weighed them) today. Will be making freezer jam tonight.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #6581 on: June 26, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
Today was another travel day for me.  Filled my water bottle after going through airport security, and also discovered that one of the coffee shops near the gate only charges $1 for a coffee refill if you bring your own mug.  Brought homegrown raspberries and a Quest bar instead of eating lunch, and felt smug sitting next to someone with a big iced coffee, bottled water and sandwich from the airport Starbuck's, which probably put her out $15 total vs. my $3 for the Quest bar and the coffee.

I like that you can bring your mug and get the 1$ coffee refill;
I will keep it in mind for our next travel

Today we gleaned mulberries, bought a used bike in great shape, made soup in the crockpot, sold 2 pairs of athletic shoes

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6582 on: June 26, 2016, 08:59:30 PM »
Thought to ask for the washer and dryer in our home offer, which was accepted. Now we can sell our current washer and dryer before the move- it'll be an upgrade, and save on the difficulty of moving them.

Grabbed drinks with friends, but both DH and I picked something on tap (much cheaper than their cocktails) and closed after 1 apiece. Our bill was $12 with tip- our friends were probably about $32. Just an interesting moment to realize that, two years ago, that would have been us as well. Had just as much enjoyment from our one drink though.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6583 on: June 27, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »
- watched some youtube videos and learned how to fix a stair baluster
- cancelled a museum trip that would have cost $130

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6584 on: June 27, 2016, 02:21:06 PM »
Sometimes things all come together. Drove to a town close by that had a dollar store. The one I used to go to, which was right across from the discount grocery store - oh so convenient - closed. So I am unfamiliar with the area and it turns out it's all metered parking anywhere near the dollar store. So I had to walk about 3/4 of a mile but I was going to walk for exercise anyway today. Plus it's an area where students and eccentrics tend to live so the people watching was fun.

I get to Family Dollar and what is right across the street, but Goodwill, and they are having a sale, all adult clothing for $1. I don't come across Goodwill very often so maybe this is normal. Anyway, I need a pair of jeans b/c the current ones are falling apart, past patching. I found a pair of longs, which are very hard to come by. I couldn't try them on without taking off my shorts but I figured for $1 risk I'd take them. Got them home and they fit!!

On the off chance someone from MA reads this, it's the Goodwill on Elm St. in Somerville, Davis Square.

Got $7 worth of hand soap and hair conditioner at Family Dollar and lugged it all back to the car. That is absolutely the way to shop at the dollar store - keeping in mind that you have to carry whatever you buy a long distance. I stuck to my list.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6585 on: June 27, 2016, 02:34:49 PM »
On the off chance someone from MA reads this, it's the Goodwill on Elm St. in Somerville, Davis Square.

Got $7 worth of hand soap and hair conditioner at Family Dollar and lugged it all back to the car. That is absolutely the way to shop at the dollar store - keeping in mind that you have to carry whatever you buy a long distance. I stuck to my list.

Where I used to live (on the other Elm Street, in Cambridge, coincidentally!) the Family Dollar was the closest store of any kind to my apartment. It was so great for all kinds of heavy/bulky stuff at cheap prices: laundry detergent, gallons of water, all kinds of cleaning supplies, toiletries, toilet paper, etc.

I didn't realize how much I'd miss it when I moved... no one lists "Family Dollar around the corner" as an amenity when listing apartments :-)
Referrals for...

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6586 on: June 28, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »
Picked 5lb of wild raspberries (weighed them) today. Will be making freezer jam tonight.
I've been out picking the wild raspberries all week, I just love them so much!  Pie, jam, cordial, mead, mmmmmmm!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6587 on: June 28, 2016, 08:18:34 PM »
Discount train fare last night and again this morning by travelling off-peak.

I ordered a new down jacket last week (half price). Received an email yesterday to say it was in stock. Received an email this morning to say the store has further discounted that line.

Currently pondering: am I obnoxious enough to pick up the jacket, return it for a refund then buy it again, just to save $30?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:54:57 AM by mustachepungoeshere »

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6588 on: June 29, 2016, 06:22:56 AM »
Yesterday was a no spend day.

Spent the evening at rehearsal for the community orchestra I'm in. It's free to be a member, sometimes I get comp tickets for family/friends, and I'm learning lots of great music. Our last concert was at a garden/museum, so I also got to poke around the grounds and museum for free before the concert. This is also a much better group than I've played with recently, and I can already hear my own playing improving.

On my fourth day of scraping toothpaste out of a cut up tube to get the last bits.

Breakfast included raspberries from our huge patch (grown up from a few canes I got on Freecycle years ago).

Today I'm picking up a box of Cooks Illustrated from Freecyle, so I can feed my cooking magazine habit for free. :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6589 on: June 29, 2016, 06:59:18 AM »
I used points to book flights for a weekend away which will include a visit to the family accountant to prepare our tax returns.

Accommodation, transport and some meals will be free, so it should be a cost-effective trip.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6590 on: June 29, 2016, 07:55:29 AM »
Our car's head gasket blew. The dealership quoted $1800 to fix it. Husband researched and found that our car has a head gasket problem and they often blow earlier than expected. He went back to the dealership with this info and haggled them from $1800 down to $900 on the grounds that this should not have happened this soon.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6591 on: June 29, 2016, 10:38:35 AM »
Cooked breakfast at home using what we had instead of going grocery shopping
Continue to eat free fruit gifted by the neighbors (left for vacation)
Brewing tea at home and at work to cut back on Starbucks stops
Cut open an old hand cream container and used the remnants after my shower. 

Meikenstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6592 on: June 29, 2016, 11:18:52 AM »
My dad has a little garden and the little tomatoes are just coming in. While visiting this weekend we picked a huge tupperware basket full. We typically spend $6/week on these tomatoes. Hopefully this will last us 2 weeks. (Saved $12)
Before buying an air compressor accessory at a local hardware store, I googled for a coupon while in line and saved 20%! (Saved $4)
My daughter needs new noslip socks and my wife found 5 pair online for $13. I challenged her to look for a better price and she found a 4-pack for $4! (Saved $9)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:39:27 AM by Meikenstache »

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6593 on: June 29, 2016, 11:39:21 AM »
I'm halfway through my YNAB free trial and love it.

I needed to take my care for scheduled maintenance, and the dealership offers the annual state inspection for free. It wasn't due until next month, but I saved $9 by getting it done a few weeks early.

Little man ran out of diapers. We've been going through disposables a lot faster than normal lately since the rubber pants for cloth seem to give him heat rash. 2 jumbo boxes of the Target brand, 10% off with the app, and a $10 gift card for next time for buying two boxes.

I've been getting a little bit creative to make it to payday without buying groceries and use up some of what we have on hand. We made cake mix cookies last night (1 box cake mix, 1/2 cup oil, two eggs, bake 12-14 minutes at 350* F). Lunch was a new recipe for black bean and lentil salad that a friend shared on Pinterest last week.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #6594 on: June 29, 2016, 03:19:11 PM »
I've bought nothing at work the past two days, I've been bringing my lunch and using the new coffee machine at work instead of buying coffee. If I keep this up I should be able to save $25-$40 a week on coffee alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #6595 on: June 29, 2016, 09:05:45 PM »
My blog crossed the threshold to receive a payment from Amazon for advertising fees. $11.47, baby!

Made batch of pesto with free kale from elementary school garden.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6596 on: June 30, 2016, 10:17:38 AM »
First words I heard from DH this morning were "Did you see the flood? There's water everywhere!" I immediately thought, "Oh god, do we have some kind of cursed sprinkler system?" I thought I had FINALLY capped off two fussy sprinklers that regularly broke and sprayed water for hours--and I did! The flood in question is a broken water main down the street. We are in a severe drought here, so after getting the kids off to school I grabbed a bucket and hauled many gallons of water out of the street to our frontyard fruit trees. Met a new neighbor to boot!

Also:
* Harvested two tiny chilis and the whole garlic crop and found a couple more potatoes while I was at it.
* Breakfast was eggs laid by our backyard chickens, and from my mom's trees, an avocado smashed up with Maldon sea salt.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6597 on: June 30, 2016, 11:37:21 AM »
I needed a backpack for my kindergartner.
Instead of buying one, I asked if he wanted to re-use my 20 year-old Jansport from college.
He's so proud to use my old backpack.
It brightened my day :)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6598 on: June 30, 2016, 12:03:40 PM »
Went the entire month of June without buying any food  or drink at work. 100% imported from home.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6599 on: June 30, 2016, 01:59:28 PM »
My blog crossed the threshold to receive a payment from Amazon for advertising fees. $11.47, baby!
Congrats!

Instead of buying one, I asked if he wanted to re-use my 20 year-old Jansport from college.
He's so proud to use my old backpack.
That's so cute!

Nothing ground-breaking for me today.  Same routine--pack lunch, snacks, and breakfast.  Make tea at work. 
Last night I did make a chocolate, peanut better granola bar-ish thing for on the go snacking.  Bars are so expensive, so I'm experimenting making my own.