Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2366802 times)

marcela

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6250 on: April 28, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
I'm sitting here eating my tiny brown rice/quinoa with chicken leftovers instead of joining my coworkers out at my favourite pizza place.

My sister's baby shower is next Saturday in our hometown a couple of hours away. I was able to schedule some work visits with a coworker so now I get to go down a few days early and without having to take either PTO or pay for the gas and tolls to get down there.
Some more savings on the shower front:
- I'm sewing the table runners
- handmade centerpieces for the tables, made out of materials we got on sale
- Convinced the other planners to host the party at an in-between time so we don't have to serve full lunch or dinner
- Using a playlist instead of hiring a dj
-No favors

My gift will be a handmade mobile that I've been working on for weeks. It's based off of one my sister fell in love with on Etsy that was over $300! Materials so far have stayed under $30

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6251 on: April 28, 2016, 12:54:30 PM »
Electric kettles are way more efficient than boiling water in a pot/pan/or even a proper kettle.

I know. I've got 2.25 square feet of counter space, so I'm going to go with stove top until I'm in a larger space. The money savings comes into the scenario as I plan to make do for a few weeks before I travel for several months, then possibly move in the fall. By waiting to buy something I hope to buy a kettle that will work for several years, not just a few months.  Perhaps  I'm stretching it a little far to call it money saving when I am delaying purchase and using a slightly more expensive option.

In planning for my travels I collected a few small hotel cosmetics bottles. This week I got them all prepped with my preferred cosmetics. I cleaned up an empty craft paint bottle and filled it with sunscreen. And I made my self a teeny tiny little sewing kit.  I've done quite a bit of mending too!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6252 on: April 28, 2016, 01:10:05 PM »
Today, to save money, I spent 250$ at Home Depot. *sigh*

25$ on PEX plumbing and spray paint so I can DIY a custom (5-sectioned, wtf) curtain rod instead of paying 275 that the curtain people were quoting me.

30$ on metal paint to paint both back doors, to avoid paying the 600$/door cost to have them installed in black in the first place.

150$ on deck screws and brackets so that my husband and FIL and build our (large: 10x36 ft) deck out of lumber they sawed themselves, thus saving us the 12K our contractor had initially quoted us for the deck (we'll need to spend about 1K to have the support poles installed properly, but that still saves us almost 11K....).

30$ on LED lightbulbs to replace the ones we have that had burned out (should also affect the electric bill, which is nice...)

Extra cash spent on hooks to put lower down in the bathroom (so the toddler can hang up her own towel!), hooks for the back door, hooks next to the front door (so the toddler can hang her own coat up), etc.

It's frustrating when you realize that saving money means spending money, just spending LESS money. Still. Averaging better than 90% savings on stuff we actually need, so... :)

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6253 on: April 28, 2016, 04:38:20 PM »
For a picnic tomorrow: bought "meat ends" (odd bits of meats leftover from the deli counter packaged on a tray and sold for $.99/lb), got a rebate on cheese using the ibotta app, and am baking bread tonight using the "Artisan bread in 5 minutes" technique.

I noticed that shaving gel was deeply discounted; combined with coupons I got two bottles for $.26 a piece!

I got a piece of vintage, name brand baby clothing at Goodwill that I should be able to flip for several times the purchase price on eBay after my son outgrows it. (Not technically saving, but it will make a few bucks in the future!)
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #6254 on: April 28, 2016, 06:41:29 PM »
I'm teaching myself to make decent stir fry from an awesome infographic (google image search "infographic stir fry"). Pick a protein, chop up whatever vegetables you have on hand, make up one of the sauce recipes, and follow the instructions on how to stir fry - it's fantastic. Because I can use almost any kind of vegetable, I can use the cheap ones like onions and carrots, or I can throw in whatever's growing in my garden at the moment.

Last night was carrots, onion and garden-grown spinach with tofu and noodles. To feed four people, it was $3 of tofu, $2 of noodles and approx. $1 of vegetables. I spent about $15 on condiments like soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch and rice vinegar, but those will last about a dozen meals each. Buying rice in bulk will make this type of meal even cheaper.

Hadilly

• Stubble
« Reply #6255 on: April 28, 2016, 09:05:18 PM »
Dandypandys and Gerard: thank you so much for the bhav advice. Sounds like a thicker, chilled batter will work. I also want to use more spices too. I will try again and report back.

Today, I rode my bike a lot, returned something to TJ that none of us liked, returned new shoes that smell like cigarette smoke (!), and cooked a big dinner with lots of leftovers. I also bought a thank you gift for my friend who is giving me free running coaching.

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #6256 on: April 29, 2016, 06:31:02 AM »
Yesterday I was in town and DD sent a text  - we need butter.
she had invited friends over so I knew she needed it for whatever recipe she'd chosen for the dinner.

without hesitation I would have said nope.  not grocery shopping again until sunday.  make something else.

but i remembered i had bought an extra block of butter on sale and put it in the freezer.  she found it, we were both happy.

when i got home i was able to say - you need to know that something changed while you were away and that now i only buy groceries on sunday.  with a PLAN.

(she'd been away for a week.  a LOT has changed in that week)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:08:57 AM by annieme »

gatortator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6257 on: April 29, 2016, 12:58:14 PM »
Page Plus just started offering a discount on their phone plans if you do auto-refill every month! I had to cancel my current auto-refill and set it up again to get the discount applied, but now my phone bill is $3.18 lower.

Sweet! I was able to reset my account before the next auto-fill and save $2.08.  Thanks!

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #6258 on: April 29, 2016, 07:28:28 PM »
I cancelled the Saturday paper delivery.  They were going to raise the cost and I had forgotten how expensive it really was.  Everyone in the family was kind of bummed when I said I was thinking of cancelling it.  But lately it is arriving late, the new person doesn't throw it on the porch and it is 4.95 plus tax a week.  If I want a paper - I can hike down to the store and buy it for $2 bucks and get some exercise while I am at it.  DS can look up the hockey score online.
Seeing the possibilities

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #6259 on: April 30, 2016, 12:10:51 AM »
I didn't go to the thrift - it's a Friday habit.  It's the one at the hospital, run by volunteer women, and all the money goes to patient well-being.  I love donating and buying there.  It is the cheapest one in town.  I am right beside it on Fridays, so I always go.  Not anymore, though that is where I will still donate my stuff.

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #6260 on: April 30, 2016, 05:36:41 AM »
I bought my wedding dress!!! Was out shopping today with my sis for her upcoming wedding (hers is sept, mine isn't till March), and a boutique we went into had a clearance rack of bridesmaid dress samples. Found a floor length oyster (light grey/silver) strapless chiffon one on the rack that was priced at $300usd- asked it if it was on clearance too- it was!!! Tried it on, it fits perfect, looked lovely and is perfectly suited for me/the venue (light, floaty, not stark white, no sequins or glitter). It's simple and pretty and Grecian looking. Cost me US $45!!!!! Bought a garment bag to keep it safe until next year ($4), will buy/make a simple veil, and I'm done!!

I'm so glad I found mustachian. It really is a way of life. The traits that you begin to embody (thrift, sensibility, realism, optimism, open mindedness) are just so useful.
Rather than chasing a dream (I'm a 'princess', I need a dream dress with a huge price tag etc), I've learned to love simplicity, and keep the important things in life in perspective.
(Had to post a pic of it- am so happy!)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:40:15 AM by 11ducks »
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #6261 on: April 30, 2016, 06:33:42 AM »
I bought my wedding dress!!!

that is a lot of classy swank for $45!  Congrats - that really was an amazing find.  :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6262 on: April 30, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
I bought my wedding dress!!! Was out shopping today with my sis for her upcoming wedding (hers is sept, mine isn't till March), and a boutique we went into had a clearance rack of bridesmaid dress samples. Found a floor length oyster (light grey/silver) strapless chiffon one on the rack that was priced at $300usd- asked it if it was on clearance too- it was!!! Tried it on, it fits perfect, looked lovely and is perfectly suited for me/the venue (light, floaty, not stark white, no sequins or glitter). It's simple and pretty and Grecian looking. Cost me US $45!!!!! Bought a garment bag to keep it safe until next year ($4), will buy/make a simple veil, and I'm done!!

I'm so glad I found mustachian. It really is a way of life. The traits that you begin to embody (thrift, sensibility, realism, optimism, open mindedness) are just so useful.
Rather than chasing a dream (I'm a 'princess', I need a dream dress with a huge price tag etc), I've learned to love simplicity, and keep the important things in life in perspective.

What a beautiful dress! And it will be wonderful to have the dress purchase out of the way I'm sure. For me, it also created a good anchor point- if I had to choose between option a and b, and I had no preference otherwise, I would just coordinate it to the dress!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #6263 on: April 30, 2016, 09:29:53 AM »

What a beautiful dress! And it will be wonderful to have the dress purchase out of the way I'm sure. For me, it also created a good anchor point- if I had to choose between option a and b, and I had no preference otherwise, I would just coordinate it to the dress!

What a lovely dress! It looks bridal and festive but not, y'know, cupcake-ish. (I was married in a cupcake dress, but in my defense, I was 20.)

Here's what I did today--So I had to work on Saturday and Mr. FP is out of town. Took the kids to the hourly daycare. Considered just shelling out for lunches ($4 each) and snacks ($2 each), but made myself pack the damn things. Cold homemade pizza FTW.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6264 on: April 30, 2016, 11:19:51 AM »
This didn't exactly save me money, but hopefully will down the road: found gardening twine at a neighbor's garage sale, pretty large spool for $1. This is exactly one day after purchasing a similar amount for $5 from a store yesterday. Since I will go through a fair amount with various plant trellises, having extra on hand seemed like a good idea.

Also purchased a pair of clippers for $0.75. Hoping they work well- they move freely but look different than most I've seen, but for that price, since it is SO much less than you see in stores, I'll give it a try.

Picked up artichokes, asparagus, and rhubarb from the farmer's market. Both better quality and cheaper than in the stores. I love in season produce!

Instead of running the dryer a second time, I split the large load and hung all the quicker drying athletic clothing to finish drying on a rack. Very small, but it required effort, so I'm proud =P
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #6265 on: April 30, 2016, 11:50:13 AM »
Proud of my grocery trip today
Went to Publix, but before i did i went on iheartpublix.com- superdeals tab, made my list printed 6 coupons.. knew i had to spend 50$ to get the 10$ off gas card deal.. went in with calculator- checked sale aisle too- score for super cheap fave olives and gluten free chocolate cake mix.
So spent $85.74  saved $58.55 came away with tons of food, cat litter etc stuff i needed, and a 50$ card for gas! NICE

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6266 on: April 30, 2016, 12:24:48 PM »
Had a nail poking thru the footbed of my fav pair of winter flats. I fixed it with a thick leather scrap shoe goo-ed over the footbed. There's another season of wear left in these!

Made a big batch of granola.

Mended my shoulder bag and made a simple wristlet wallet. Small, light, versatile for travel but nice enough use on an evening out.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6267 on: April 30, 2016, 03:01:34 PM »
Had a nail poking thru the footbed of my fav pair of winter flats. I fixed it with a thick leather scrap shoe goo-ed over the footbed. There's another season of wear left in these!

Did you also get your tetanus booster? =o How on earth did you end up with a nail through your flats??

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6268 on: April 30, 2016, 03:11:30 PM »

Did you also get your tetanus booster? =o How on earth did you end up with a nail through your flats??

It's a nail from attaching the sole of the shoe!  It's supposed to be there. It's super tiny and did not hurt me, but was obviously not good to walk on.

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #6269 on: April 30, 2016, 07:41:15 PM »
I was tired after working on the house and in the garden all day but instead of going out for dinner, I made dinner at home.  But I really didn't feel like cooking but I did it anyway.
Seeing the possibilities

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6270 on: May 01, 2016, 02:49:38 AM »
Yesterday, just a Buy Nothing Day.  Ransacked the cabinets for food.  Survived. :)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6271 on: May 01, 2016, 06:16:35 AM »
Took the bus to/from the shopping center where we looked for shoes and shorts for DD.  Paid roughly $1.60 RT for the three of us, compared to the $10+ a taxi both ways would have cost.
Wherever you go, there you are

Tabitha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6272 on: May 01, 2016, 03:09:59 PM »
Stayed out of all stores this week, including grocery stores. Today I made bread, yogurt, and hummus to help get us through this next week on pantry cooking and freezer clean-out.

Sadly I broke another kitchen thermometer. That's 3 in 2016.  I'm back to the wrist method and think I'll stay with that for a while.

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #6273 on: May 01, 2016, 04:05:04 PM »
Ate falafel on naan with salads and yoghurt for dinner, was delish, and one of the cheapest meals you can make. Haven;t gone out at all today, so haven't spent a thing :-) Just quality husband time, watching films .
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 04:33:10 AM by dandypandys »

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #6274 on: May 01, 2016, 04:26:22 PM »
This weekend, I took advantage of longer days and sun and am back to drying all of the laundry on the line. I get lazy and use the dryer when it's cold and foggy, but we save $10-$14/month when I'm a diligent line dryer.

I've also been cooking meal after meal at home, as the frugal food hammer has come back down. Almond flour pancakes, quiche, chicken soup with dumplings, smoothies, quinoa salads, and tonight tamale pie. I'm also going to try some new recipes this week for more variety.

My recent Q1 spending review "uncovered" the fact that we spent $5,113 on groceries, dining out, and wine in three months. Looks like some of us have been celebrating FIRE a little too much! Woops. Some of this is because my family visited, a very rare occasion. Sweet Huz and I, being the rich people we are, paid for a few group dinners for seven people with wine ($1,500 of the $5,113 total) and filled the larder with groceries for that many during the visit (another $200). But take away the special occasion, $1,700 family vacation food bill, and that still leaves over $1,000 month on food spending. For two adults. Unacceptable.

At least it's easy to get back on track!
FIRE since June 2015. Chronicling the post-FIRE transition at: https://evgeniagotfi.wordpress.com/

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6275 on: May 01, 2016, 04:35:23 PM »
Stir fried my radish thinnings (roots and greens) with garlic and half a (small) smoked sausage from the freezer for lunch.

Supper is instantpot "German bake": cabbage, kraut, 4 chopped potatoes that have seen better days, half a large turkey smoked sausage from the freezer, applesauce and a handful of dried cranberries, all cooked in slightly too much chicken bone broth from the freezer. Cabbage was also from the freezer, about half a head as I've determined roughly chopped cabbage freezes just fine for stews and stir frying even without blanching. Cabbage waste around here has plummeted (and cabbage usage has risen since I no longer feel compelled to try to use a whole head up fast and thus husband doesn't get sick of it). Slightly too much broth is being sopped up with the heels of homemade multigrain bread, also from the freezer.

Stayed home all day, walked in the woods with the dogs, and snacked on wild greens as we went. Dogs snacked on deer poop, as is their wont.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6276 on: May 02, 2016, 11:28:28 AM »
Cabbage was also from the freezer, about half a head as I've determined roughly chopped cabbage freezes just fine for stews and stir frying even without blanching. Cabbage waste around here has plummeted (and cabbage usage has risen since I no longer feel compelled to try to use a whole head up fast and thus husband doesn't get sick of it).

Thanks for sharing this. I feel like I can't buy cabbage because half the head goes bad before I can use it. Problem solved.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6277 on: May 02, 2016, 11:43:26 AM »
Cabbage was also from the freezer, about half a head as I've determined roughly chopped cabbage freezes just fine for stews and stir frying even without blanching. Cabbage waste around here has plummeted (and cabbage usage has risen since I no longer feel compelled to try to use a whole head up fast and thus husband doesn't get sick of it).

Thanks for sharing this. I feel like I can't buy cabbage because half the head goes bad before I can use it. Problem solved.

I know, same here. One day I decided I'd just try it - it's not like there was anything to lose, after all, since otherwise I'd just store the damn left-over half cabbage in the fridge until it got slimy and then put it into the compost heap where it would take way too long to break down because of being in head form. Life is better since.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6278 on: May 02, 2016, 01:23:05 PM »

I know, same here. One day I decided I'd just try it - it's not like there was anything to lose, after all, since otherwise I'd just store the damn left-over half cabbage in the fridge until it got slimy and then put it into the compost heap where it would take way too long to break down because of being in head form. Life is better since.

If you like fermented things, you can make sourkraut  in a mason jar, a half head of cabbage at a time. Red cabbage is especially pretty.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #6279 on: May 02, 2016, 01:24:52 PM »
I am working on unsubscribing from email lists for stores. The less shopping temptation I have in my inbox, the better.

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #6280 on: May 02, 2016, 01:31:58 PM »
I am working on unsubscribing from email lists for stores. The less shopping temptation I have in my inbox, the better.

I need to do this.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6281 on: May 02, 2016, 01:56:02 PM »

I need to do this.

This combined with the honey plugin for Chrome.

It gives you the coupon codes for the website you're on... So, no emails to tempt you, but if you're shopping online because you actually need something, you'll still have easy access to the coupon codes you unsubscribed from.

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #6282 on: May 02, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »

I need to do this.

This combined with the honey plugin for Chrome.

Ah cool- i usually go to retailmenot.com first, then ebates to click through.

It gives you the coupon codes for the website you're on... So, no emails to tempt you, but if you're shopping online because you actually need something, you'll still have easy access to the coupon codes you unsubscribed from.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #6283 on: May 02, 2016, 05:26:25 PM »
I was a little disturbed that it's May and my furnace is still on (usually it's off for a month by now) but I have saved a lot this winter with lower temperatures, which means that my equal billing has dropped from $130 a month to $85 until August. So that is saving me $45 a month which is significant and it was no real hardship to have cooler house temperatures all winter.

I stocked up on some groceries all bought on sale, with coupons and groceries points which was a big win for the grocery budget this month. I also received a free $5 GC from the bulk store.

I've been making cold tea like crazy lately (bought some lovely tea on sale) and I have found that the boxes of peppermint and peach flavour are delicious as cold tea with no sugar added. Super healthy and makes a wonderful spring/summer drink. It's a slightly more expensive tea, but significantly cheaper than any drink store bought would be.

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #6284 on: May 02, 2016, 08:23:07 PM »
Did laundry, ripped a dryer sheet in half!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #6285 on: May 02, 2016, 08:47:06 PM »
Called Chase and had my Sapphire card changed to the no annual fee option.  The only perk I lose is the free foreign transactions, but I'm not planning on traveling out of the country any time soon, so it's definitely not worth the $95/year.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6286 on: May 03, 2016, 03:03:37 AM »
I just cleaned the patio with a stiff broom and soapy water rather than using the pressure washer. It's actually more of a hassle to use the pressure washer anyway.:D

Leftovers for lunch. I have rice and steamed vegetables in the fridge and they will be transformed into a Chinese type dish with my wok.:)

I was a little disturbed that it's May and my furnace is still on (usually it's off for a month by now) but I have saved a lot this winter with lower temperatures, which means that my equal billing has dropped from $130 a month to $85 until August. So that is saving me $45 a month which is significant and it was no real hardship to have cooler house temperatures all winter.

Yes, I was thinking that today, that I still have the heating on here as it is has been chilly in the UK. I would usually switch off the heating in late March.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #6287 on: May 03, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »
Made chicken burrito bowls for supper last night and packed the leftovers for lunch today and tomorrow.  Realized that my portions were way too big, so I stretched it out to last for 3 lunches instead of 2.

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #6288 on: May 03, 2016, 10:14:48 AM »
Just changed  my phone plan from $50 a month to $35. 
Can still reduce, but at least it was an improvement while I do more research about what's available.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #6289 on: May 03, 2016, 11:05:36 AM »
*  let amazon prime expire (saved $99)
*  brought leftover baguette to work to have with leftover lentils for lunch
*  free coffee :)  (in the same stainless mug I have had for about 6 years now - makes it taste even better!)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6290 on: May 03, 2016, 11:08:27 AM »
Leftovers for lunch, and office pickings for breakfast! (Extra fruit and granola bars from a weekend shindig)
Last night I got my seriously ganked up Wacom tablet to keep on keeping on just a little bit longer. The pen/stylus is taped together, and I bought it in 2010, but these things cost about $300 new, sooo.... yeah. Just keep on trucking little buddy!
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6291 on: May 03, 2016, 04:57:37 PM »
Not small, and not me, but wonderful husband dug up and troubleshot the malfunctioning septic system and cleaned out the clogged effluvia filter (nice word for a true horror, that). Now all fixed. Would have been free but he broke a sewer pipe fitting and the replacement (better one with a cleanout) was $10.99. That's at least $500 we didn't spend on a contractor, there. Probably worth it, but if he ever decides he wants to hire that done, I'll pay and smile because worst job ever. Really.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6292 on: May 03, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »

If you like fermented things, you can make sourkraut  in a mason jar, a half head of cabbage at a time. Red cabbage is especially pretty.

You know, I've never tackled kraut. Do you have a recipe for the half head in a mason jor method? All I've ever really seen is a big (big) crock and a weighted-down plate for a lid - this for kraut or other veggies.

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #6293 on: May 03, 2016, 05:31:15 PM »
+1 for that recipe!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6294 on: May 03, 2016, 05:43:33 PM »
Basically, do this: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-sauerkraut-in-a-mason-jar-193124

The plate in bigger crocks is really only used to keep the cabbage submerged in the brine (it'll go off if part of it is exposed to air, hence weighing it down) I've also used ziplock baggies filled with brine to keep the cabbage under.

The salt-to-water ratio is the same no matter the quantity of cabbage, so... A half head vs 6 heads doesn't change the 'recipe', just the amount and size of the crock. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #6295 on: May 03, 2016, 07:48:08 PM »
Discovered the other day that my truck was completely dead.  So dead that the power door locks wouldn't work.  It wouldn't take a jump, but the battery showed as charged on the trickle charger as well as my multi-meter.  I went and bought a test light to start going through the fuses and ignition cable, etc. before giving in and having it towed.  The test light lit up on my running vehicle, but nada on the truck battery, so took the battery to AutoZone, where they charged it and pronounced it D.O.A.  Before going to collect it and buy a battery, I looked online and found that Napa had a 10% discount for placing an online order for store pickup, plus they had a better warranty.  Ordered the battery and gave them a call to ask about turning in the old battery.  They confirmed that the core charge would be waived if I brought the old battery, so I went and collected it from AutoZone and saved $18.  Now to put the receipt somewhere I will be able to find it should the new battery go bad within the next 65 months.  Popped the new battery in and the truck roared to life again without a tow and mechanic's bill. 

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6296 on: May 04, 2016, 09:30:18 AM »
Now to put the receipt somewhere I will be able to find it should the new battery go bad within the next 65 months. 

I keep my car pretty clean, so things like this usually go best in an envelope in my glovebox. Just my two cents.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6297 on: May 04, 2016, 09:45:21 AM »
Now to put the receipt somewhere I will be able to find it should the new battery go bad within the next 65 months. 

I keep my car pretty clean, so things like this usually go best in an envelope in my glovebox. Just my two cents.

... That's brilliant. Much more likely to actually be found when needed than trying to remember to file it in the house. Thanks for the tip!

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #6298 on: May 04, 2016, 08:28:05 PM »
Took Big Brother (age 5) to buy undies. Explained that the Spiderman undies were more than the plain ones, and if he wanted Spiderman, he could cough up the $3 difference.

Now, obviously "his" $3 had come straight out of my wallet last allowance day. But I am expect this groundwork to yield future dividends--he'll be used to making choices with "his" money!
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #6299 on: May 04, 2016, 08:39:28 PM »

... That's brilliant. Much more likely to actually be found when needed than trying to remember to file it in the house. Thanks for the tip!

Absolutely!  I was thinking glovebox, but a separate envelope for those sorts of things would be best.