Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1828705 times)

PMG

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6150 on: April 10, 2016, 08:21:46 PM »
Just in from a date. We walked around the city and had serious (and hilariously fun) discussion of architecture.  Then went into a little dive bar and listened to a band for free. Didn't buy anything. Then walked some more to admire the houses all lit up and glistening in a little mist of rain. It sounds cheesy but in real life it was lovely!

I really like this guy. 

We've gone out four or five times in the past two weeks (3 in the past 5 days!) and it's usually almost free.  Art shows. Or a pub or coffee shop where we spend all evening sipping one drink and talking. Lots of walking around town just to see what's around the next corner.

We haven't gotten deep into finances in conversation but our habits seems to be aligned.

Keep your fingers crossed for me y'all!  I have found a good one.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6151 on: April 10, 2016, 09:29:02 PM »
Sounds like a winner, PMG!

Today I rolled the dice on some Instant Pot innovation... I put a Pyrex dish of black beans + water with seasonings nestled atop a chicken carcass + water + seasonings and cooked it all at once. Didn't know if it would work out but I figured it was worth a shot and the ingredients are so cheap it's not a huge loss if I fail in some spectacular manner. But it worked great and now I have black beans AND homemade chicken stock in under 2 hours, and used less energy than if I cooked them separately. They both cooked up nicely and didn't mix at all.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6152 on: April 11, 2016, 07:48:22 AM »
Sounds like a winner, PMG!

Today I rolled the dice on some Instant Pot innovation... I put a Pyrex dish of black beans + water with seasonings nestled atop a chicken carcass + water + seasonings and cooked it all at once. Didn't know if it would work out but I figured it was worth a shot and the ingredients are so cheap it's not a huge loss if I fail in some spectacular manner. But it worked great and now I have black beans AND homemade chicken stock in under 2 hours, and used less energy than if I cooked them separately. They both cooked up nicely and didn't mix at all.

I haven't played with PIP (pot in pot) at all, but I've heard you can heat up leftovers in glass really well that way (as long as the glass is room temp). Since our microwave shuts off all the lights in the house if we try and use it, I think that'd be a nice option! Have you played around with that at all?
-------

Saving money: I posted the following musing in my journal, about how little choices cascade into other spending/saving.
How Sharing a Full-Size Bed Ups My Badassity

In helping Brother move, I have been reflecting on some of the random choices I have made that have saved us lot of money in unexpected ways.

Case in point: out bed. I'll start by saying, cost isn't *why* we have a full. Basically, I always had fulls, and that was all that fit in my apartments for a long time. And I just never sized up. DH and I like the cozier quarters, and so we never saw the need to change. With that being said-

Brother has a king sized bed. This means:
-It was more expensive in the first place. (Especially because I bought our full for $30 off a relative that was clearing out their house, from their guest room- barely used).
-Brother hated this place because the room was "too small" for him because the bed took up too much room. With our full, I think we've been far more open to renting smaller places.
-He had to rent a trailer to move his bed. Our full fits easily in the back of my truck, even with the canopy on. Cost savings there.
-Sheets cost less. Laundry costs less. We use less soap on the sheets. They don't take as long to dry.
-(Non$$) Annoyance factor: it is easy to reach across and make my full. I do it in ~1.5min each morning. Quick quick. Brother never makes his bed, and after helping him put the sheets on a few times, I can see why! It is awful.
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6153 on: April 11, 2016, 07:56:14 AM »
I haven't played with PIP (pot in pot) at all, but I've heard you can heat up leftovers in glass really well that way (as long as the glass is room temp). Since our microwave shuts off all the lights in the house if we try and use it, I think that'd be a nice option! Have you played around with that at all?

Haven't tried that - this was my first PIP adventure. I have only used the IP for long-cooking things like stock and beans and stew so far. It never seemed like it would be very helpful for things that cook just a short time, due to the time it takes to come to pressure and depressurize. I can heat up pretty much everything in under 15 minutes on the stove or in the toaster oven... but I'll keep it in mind in case I have something I want to heat up in a moist environment :-)
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6154 on: April 11, 2016, 08:01:01 AM »

Haven't tried that - this was my first PIP adventure. I have only used the IP for long-cooking things like stock and beans and stew so far. It never seemed like it would be very helpful for things that cook just a short time, due to the time it takes to come to pressure and depressurize. I can heat up pretty much everything in under 15 minutes on the stove or in the toaster oven... but I'll keep it in mind in case I have something I want to heat up in a moist environment :-)

I agree. I still do rice in a pot on the stove. No time savings. People's argument is the IP is foolproof, but we make rice so much so is our stovetop method. We pretty much do the IP for whole chickens, stock, chickpeas, and homemade dog food. I should probably expand my cooking repertoire a bit! 
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6155 on: April 11, 2016, 09:21:17 AM »
I ate my coworker's leftovers for lunch when he tried to throw them away. I took the milk that soured from the fridge and leftover fruit salad and made tropical bread. I took a dog-sitting/house-sitting gig over the weekend and ate the food in their fridge instead of bringing my own (they always encourage me to do this anyway, and I try to just use up the food they have that might go bad before they return).

My roommate constantly abandons her leftovers to me or wants to throw things out right after the "sell-by" date, so I'm always rescuing that stuff and getting free meals out of it.
Proverbs 13:4
The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the soul of the diligent is made fat.

Proverbs 13:11
Wealth obtained by fraud dwindles, but the one who gathers by labor increases it.

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGp3WGH/savings.png

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6156 on: April 11, 2016, 10:33:24 AM »
I agree. I still do rice in a pot on the stove. No time savings. People's argument is the IP is foolproof, but we make rice so much so is our stovetop method. We pretty much do the IP for whole chickens, stock, chickpeas, and homemade dog food. I should probably expand my cooking repertoire a bit!

I wouldn't mind trying brown rice since it does take a long time to cook, but I don't tend to eat a lot of rice (I love it, but it doesn't really agree with me/my metabolism). I do like the foolproofiness of making stock and beans in the IP. No foaming, no skimming, no adding liquid, no checking the temperature. But the time savings is the real reason to do it. Especially for stock! I can't get over having real, good-quality stock in such abundance. Although I suspect I'll get sick of it at some point when the weather is warm and I won't want soup four days a week. (I know there is such a thing as chilled soup, but I'm not sure the chicken stock I make would work, what with the jello-like consistency when cold.)

I branched out of my stock-and-beans rut and made pulled pork a couple of weeks ago. That came out beautifully.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6157 on: April 11, 2016, 10:51:15 AM »
I took the milk that soured from the fridge and leftover fruit salad and made tropical bread.

Please, tell me more. I have some sour milk in the fridge as we speak.

My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year!): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6158 on: April 11, 2016, 11:14:17 AM »
I took the milk that soured from the fridge and leftover fruit salad and made tropical bread.

It's easy! Just google "sour milk bread recipes" and choose one that you like. Nearly any sweet bread recipe like banana, pumpkin, etc. can substitute sour milk for any water and it will make a much richer, flavorful bread.
Proverbs 13:4
The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the soul of the diligent is made fat.

Proverbs 13:11
Wealth obtained by fraud dwindles, but the one who gathers by labor increases it.

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGp3WGH/savings.png

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6159 on: April 11, 2016, 11:53:55 AM »

It's easy! Just google "sour milk bread recipes" and choose one that you like. Nearly any sweet bread recipe like banana, pumpkin, etc. can substitute sour milk for any water and it will make a much richer, flavorful bread.

Huh. Who knew? Thanks!
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Discover referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year!): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Cognitive Miser

• Stubble
« Reply #6160 on: April 11, 2016, 04:11:28 PM »
I got a long overdue gmail account.  I had been with Earthlink for 15 years, paying $2/month for the privilege of keeping the same email address so all my friends and family would be able to keep in touch.  But Earthlink wants to raise their price to $40/year for 500 MB of email storage, and gmail is 15GB for free.  And at this point, I communicate with most everyone by Facebook, cell phone, Skype, or text message.  Those who really want to email me will be close enough friends or family members that they'll make changing over to my new address a priority, or they'll have an alternate way to contact me to ask me to remind them of my new email.

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #6161 on: April 11, 2016, 05:52:31 PM »
I got a long overdue gmail account.  I had been with Earthlink for 15 years, paying $2/month for the privilege of keeping the same email address so all my friends and family would be able to keep in touch.  But Earthlink wants to raise their price to $40/year for 500 MB of email storage, and gmail is 15GB for free.  And at this point, I communicate with most everyone by Facebook, cell phone, Skype, or text message.  Those who really want to email me will be close enough friends or family members that they'll make changing over to my new address a priority, or they'll have an alternate way to contact me to ask me to remind them of my new email.

Good for you! I suspect that bleeding people who want to keep their address is pretty much Earthlink's business model. And gmail is great once you get used to it.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6162 on: April 11, 2016, 06:02:17 PM »
Picked up a bulk purchase of ground beef. Straight from farmer. Not cheap (local, grass fed =/= cheap), but cheaper for better sourcing than I can get elsewhere. Saving money within the structure of our priorities =)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6163 on: April 11, 2016, 06:23:52 PM »
Ugh, hubs threw out the sour milk so no sour milk bread. But for some reason whole gallons cost less than half gallons today, so I'm sure I'll have more sour milk soon. (It was a half gallon that went bad in the first place.)

Was going to make chili for my work "soup" this week, but ground beef has gotten super expensive--like comparable to steak expensive. So instead I picked up a package of smoked pig tails for $1.50/lb and will have pork chili instead.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6164 on: April 11, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »
I ate leftovers all day.

And I went into Home Goods when I was our running errands, picked up a candle from the clearance section, then put it back after walking around the store a bit. I love candles but I have a few that aren't used up yet.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6165 on: April 11, 2016, 09:53:45 PM »
Sifted through 1/4 of a container of baby spinach to make a salad out of the leaves that hadn't started going off yet. I think I rescued about a dollar's worth.

Gotta love produce that is already starting to rot on the "best by" date... grrr. I stopped buying produce at the store closest to my home because of the inexplicable tendency of their vegetables to rot prematurely, but they started carrying a whole new line of organic greens and they looked good and fresh. Won't make that mistake again. I don't know what they DO to produce in that place!

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #6166 on: April 12, 2016, 06:46:50 AM »
Sifted through 1/4 of a container of baby spinach to make a salad out of the leaves that hadn't started going off yet. I think I rescued about a dollar's worth.

Gotta love produce that is already starting to rot on the "best by" date... grrr. I stopped buying produce at the store closest to my home because of the inexplicable tendency of their vegetables to rot prematurely, but they started carrying a whole new line of organic greens and they looked good and fresh. Won't make that mistake again. I don't know what they DO to produce in that place!

That is my pet peeve! I love spring mix (mesculun mix) but it always spoils so quickly.  I can't wait for our local farmer's market to start back up in May.  Their mixes last for 1 week +!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6167 on: April 12, 2016, 07:49:05 AM »
Was going to make chili for my work "soup" this week, but ground beef has gotten super expensive--like comparable to steak expensive. So instead I picked up a package of smoked pig tails for $1.50/lb and will have pork chili instead.
Turns out in addition to meat, pig tails also have lots of bones, skin, and fat. Bones got frozen for broth later, skin got oven roasted into pork rinds, and fat got rendered for cooking with later.

That is my pet peeve! I love spring mix (mesculun mix) but it always spoils so quickly.  I can't wait for our local farmer's market to start back up in May.  Their mixes last for 1 week +!

Ugh this so much. I am counting down the days to the farmers market. Organic Girl greens stay fresh a long time, if you have a place that carries it.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6168 on: April 12, 2016, 07:51:27 AM »

Little brother told me that the farmers market vendor told him to breath (aka blow carbon dioxide) into his bag of greens before twist tying it shut. Works best with "soft" bags.  Less oxygen, less breaking down?  I've not verified this.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6169 on: April 12, 2016, 08:02:20 AM »
Little brother told me that the farmers market vendor told him to breath (aka blow carbon dioxide) into his bag of greens before twist tying it shut. Works best with "soft" bags.  Less oxygen, less breaking down?  I've not verified this.
Putting a dry paper towel in with greens, and replacing it when it gets damp, helps a lot. Keeps the slime from building up as quickly.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6170 on: April 12, 2016, 10:04:57 AM »
Greens are one of those things where you waste money by being single. I can never finish a package of greens before it starts to rot, even if I eat a salad every day. They only seem to last 3-4 days in the fridge.

Erma

• Stubble
« Reply #6171 on: April 12, 2016, 11:24:56 AM »
Got free cake at work.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #6172 on: April 12, 2016, 11:53:10 AM »
Greens are one of those things where you waste money by being single. I can never finish a package of greens before it starts to rot, even if I eat a salad every day. They only seem to last 3-4 days in the fridge.

This really sucks. The only fresh vegetables I can keep "on hand" are a bag of onions, and even those sometimes start sprouting towards the end. I've just been stocking up on those steam-in-bag frozen vegetables when they go on sale.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #6173 on: April 12, 2016, 12:51:19 PM »
Filing my student son's tax return with Turbotax - state e-file costs $19.99, although up to 5 Federal e-files are free from the CD version I bought, so I printed and mailed his state tax return for the cost of a couple of stamps instead.

I'll do the same with ours when I finish it up in a couple of days.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6174 on: April 12, 2016, 07:39:34 PM »
* Used a coupon for a free large pizza. Am pregnant and tired and after the school run and an afterschool activity I didn't have dinner in me.
* Hung a load of laundry on the clothesline instead of using the dryer.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 09:19:29 PM by jengod »
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6175 on: April 12, 2016, 07:43:29 PM »
Embraced the soup weather! Cool days again, so I used the frame of a chicken and some veggie scraps I had saved up in the freezer to make stock. Used some thyme from the yard as well. Also let me use up some old shredded chicken.

Got a free iPhone charging cable through a company I found through the forums (Francois et Mimi). Very nifty retractable little thing, which will be perfect for my work bag. I was days from ordering another cable so I had one at work, so this truly was saving me money- would have spent it anyway! And not on one so compact.

mashrach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6176 on: April 13, 2016, 07:28:38 AM »
Adjusted the number of exemptions on my W-4 based on my tax rebate. This will put more money into my account every month so I can add it to my 401K or emergency fund or...

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6177 on: April 13, 2016, 05:18:16 PM »
* Roasted another batch of green coffee beans ($4/lb from Costco) to keep myself out of the Starbucks drive-thru.
* Bought a box of mason jars for $0.25 each at a thrift store.
* Saved some borage seeds from the garden
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

MrsTuxedocat

• Stubble
« Reply #6178 on: April 13, 2016, 11:32:16 PM »
Mr. Tuxedocat wanted to go out for Greek food or ice cream for a date tonight, he is the spendy pants in our relationship. Instead we brought ice cream sandwiches from home, which he didn't even know we had, to the local garden park. It was full of tulips, daffs and more!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6179 on: April 14, 2016, 07:11:19 AM »

This really sucks. The only fresh vegetables I can keep "on hand" are a bag of onions, and even those sometimes start sprouting towards the end. I've just been stocking up on those steam-in-bag frozen vegetables when they go on sale.

For greens: spinach lasts longer than mesclun mix, makes lovely fresh salads (balsamic vinaigrette!), and then you can pan-fry it with a bit of olive oil OR put it in smoothies when it starts getting a bit iffy but is still good to eat. Or freeze it and toss it in soup/risotto/pasta, for that matter.

Or, for fresh salad-type things, I'm a fan of shredded carrots with a few capers and a lemon vinaigrette. Carrots keep for weeks in the fridge, but it still feels like a 'fresh' thing to have for supper, as opposed to steamed/roasted veggies.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6180 on: April 14, 2016, 08:02:34 AM »
Page Plus just started offering a discount on their phone plans if you do auto-refill every month! I had to cancel my current auto-refill and set it up again to get the discount applied, but now my phone bill is $3.18 lower.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6181 on: April 14, 2016, 09:38:40 AM »
I roast a 3 lb chicken about once a month. This gives me meals and broth. Their regular price is $8.50 to $9.00 Cdn. I usually buy them on sale for $7.50. This week they were on sale for $6.00 each. I have never seen this price before. I just have the freezer in my fridge, but I bought four of them.

Also bought seeds for several herbs for a planter I keep near the kitchen door. Last year I filled the planter with store-bought plants. I'll use soil containers I have on hand to get them started. This will save $10 on getting the planters filled this year and leave me many seeds for future years. May also plant some in the vegetable patch for drying for winter.

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #6182 on: April 14, 2016, 09:53:03 AM »
Yesterday I spent 55 minutes on the phone trying to get cheaper telephone and internet.  Only results in $17 dollars savings per month for 24 months.  There must be another option that won`t impact my freelance network I have been building for 11 years yet won`t require me to have tv service and a bunch of hardware that I don`t even want to take out of the box.
Seeing the possibilities

luciep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6183 on: April 14, 2016, 06:32:19 PM »
I became car free.

My car died. It was going to cost too much money to fix it. The dealer offered to buy it for $500. I agreed.

WhoDey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • HoneyDoCarpenter
« Reply #6184 on: April 14, 2016, 06:41:34 PM »
I bought a Wahl electric razer and my wife cut my hair... saving $20 every month now and it is so easy!

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #6185 on: April 14, 2016, 10:30:14 PM »
Fixed my washer - got new direct drive coupler for $0 (lifetime warranty on repair part).

TabbyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #6186 on: April 14, 2016, 10:54:42 PM »
Signed up for the smallest trash bin size - planning to call insurance company to ask about increasing our deductible tomorrow.

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #6187 on: April 15, 2016, 03:30:59 AM »
Yesterday I spent 55 minutes on the phone trying to get cheaper telephone and internet.  Only results in $17 dollars savings per month for 24 months.  There must be another option that won`t impact my freelance network I have been building for 11 years yet won`t require me to have tv service and a bunch of hardware that I don`t even want to take out of the box.

That's frustrating.

Similar issues here, want to turn off the cell phone and get a pre-paid but the "family plan" has pricing that makes it cheaper to keep a line, unless we turn off the "whole thing" and get individual prepaid/ting etc... something we are not ready to do for the entire family just yet.

Cable/internet prices their "package" in a manner that you can only save real money by turning it off. We tossed around the idea of not having internet at the house, going to the library when we need it (we do have it at work...) but we found that was our Rubicon, the line we won't cross at this point (not having net at the house), it would only increase our savings rate less than 1% anyway (providing we added the savings to investments, which we would do...).

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6188 on: April 15, 2016, 06:08:52 AM »
Re: cable negotiating

It didn't work for me with Verizon. I have just internet and I was paying $89. Verizon wanted to sell me one of the packages to get a cheaper deal. Ended up having to quit them and sign up with RCN. One year for $35 all fees included. So far it really has been $35 a month. When it goes up I'll see what's out there. Looks like google and a startup that used to be Aereo may be providing cheap wireless internet to the home in Boston by then.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6189 on: April 15, 2016, 07:50:39 AM »

It wasn't a complete loss - you spent 1 hour for $200 per year. 
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6190 on: April 15, 2016, 08:15:47 AM »
Re: cable negotiating

It didn't work for me with Verizon. I have just internet and I was paying $89. Verizon wanted to sell me one of the packages to get a cheaper deal. Ended up having to quit them and sign up with RCN. One year for $35 all fees included. So far it really has been $35 a month. When it goes up I'll see what's out there. Looks like google and a startup that used to be Aereo may be providing cheap wireless internet to the home in Boston by then.
I have RCN. After the first year it started creeping up about a dollar every month. But RCN has a special contract or something with my building (which includes free basic cable TV for everyone), so maybe that's affecting it? When I called and asked they pretty much just said, "That's how it is."  The only alternative would be going back to AT&T, which was an even worse deal.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6191 on: April 15, 2016, 01:13:16 PM »
I sold my registration spot for a half marathon I'm not in shape to run, to another mom at the gym childcare co-op. I got back the $80 registration fee, DH can still run it with his friends (who won't slow him down like I would), and we don't have to worry about finding someone to watch the little man while we race.

I bought my hair products during the beauty sale at the military exchange. I'm not quite out, but they were an extra 15% off now and won't be when I run out sometime next month.

I saved the extra wax from a candle that didn't burn efficiently but smelled really nice. Once I get a wick I plan to melt and re-pour it in a smaller container.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6192 on: April 15, 2016, 01:25:59 PM »
Picked up the supplies I need to throw my kid a kickass second birthday party, including feeding everyone lunch. Food, decorations, and entertainment are coming up to 40$CAD, and that's for 15 people. Here's hoping we get a nice sunny day!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6193 on: April 15, 2016, 04:08:48 PM »
Cleaned up a full garbage bag of paper and plastic litter from my yard from the winter. I didn't recognize anything but two paper cups, so it all blew in from other people. Behind some brush, I found a Christmas courier package that had been stolen and opened, which had a totally wrecked stuffed animal.

Also found a nice pair of pruning shears. Dirty and rusty, but nothing that a soak in water, an SOS pad and some oil won't put right. I think I made minimum wage for my time outdoors!

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #6194 on: April 15, 2016, 07:32:32 PM »
Just in from a date. We walked around the city and had serious (and hilariously fun) discussion of architecture.  Then went into a little dive bar and listened to a band for free. Didn't buy anything. Then walked some more to admire the houses all lit up and glistening in a little mist of rain. It sounds cheesy but in real life it was lovely!

I really like this guy. 

We've gone out four or five times in the past two weeks (3 in the past 5 days!) and it's usually almost free.  Art shows. Or a pub or coffee shop where we spend all evening sipping one drink and talking. Lots of walking around town just to see what's around the next corner.

**sounds like my husband***is a keeper

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6195 on: April 16, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »
During a very long walk this morning (10-11 miles in 3 hours, including lots of hills), I resisted the urge to:

1)  Stop at Starbucks for a treat/rest stop (I had a prepaid gift card i could have used, but decided to save it and
2)  Take the bus back to my point of origin when I was feeling tired.

I had a container of fruit and my water bottle, which kept me going.  Waited until I got home to get lunch (leftovers from the fridge).
Wherever you go, there you are

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #6196 on: April 16, 2016, 08:17:37 PM »
Wife's van was acting up, traction control going off when it shouldn't.

I had to change out the wheel hubs (doing it myself saves a couple hundred), while I was at it I figured I'd swap out her break pads since they come off when doing the job. I rode the bike to the autozone to get the pads, while I was there I asked them to check and see when the last time I changed them, they checked and said my last pair had a lifetime warranty and that I could get a new set, bring back the old pads and get a full refund. I thought the warranty was only if the pad broke in two or something like that but that's not the case, saving me the full 35 bucks.

MissNancyPryor

• Stubble
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #6197 on: April 16, 2016, 08:20:44 PM »
I cut my husband's hair.  Been doing that about 20 years now.  He was brave to have me first learn with him as my test subject but now it is easy and he really appreciates being able to get a cut on short notice with no waiting and no goofy small talk as required at a superclips place.   

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #6198 on: April 17, 2016, 07:26:01 AM »
I died my own hair today for the first time in years, I had decided to grow out my 6 month old salon highlights but they had gone yucky yellow so today I attempted to dye them to match my natural colour. I was mostly successful, some bits didn't take as well but they just look like natural highlights now so I'm happy.  $19 spent vs $100 in a salon so I'm very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuirkyNurse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6199 on: April 17, 2016, 09:24:45 AM »
I needed to fill up my car with gas, and recently, someone commented on how my hair is "two-tone!" (My roots are growing in terribly....) So, I biked a 10 mile round trip to pick up a box of dye rather than go to the salon, and got out off filling my car another day. It's GORGEOUS out for the first time in months - my sandal tan lines are now well underway, haha!