Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1846381 times)

PMG

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5950 on: March 12, 2016, 07:31:32 PM »
I recognize that spending money isn't saving money. I've been looking for some things for upcoming travels and desperately needing new shoes. I keep putting things in my Amazon cart but not finishing the buy. Today I found what I needed significantly marked down on rei. I only ordered things on my list.  Found high quality for Kmart prices. I'm pretty happy. It was worth waiting.

My "made it to spring break" treat today was homemade iced coffee and homemade peanut butter cookies.

I've lost enough weight in the past 7 weeks that I'm wearing old clothes and greatly reduced my shopping list. Hundreds saved there as so much of my old wardrobe was wearing out and needed replaced.
Robert Platt Bell has a great saying.

"You can not spend your way to wealth."

His blog:  livingstingy.blogspot.com

Thanks for the link. I haven't read him before.

I'm good at not wanting much but I also often ignore needs.  I'm aiming for balance.

As for money saving today, I did my first grocery shopping since going car free. My relationship with food will be changing again. I found the ethnic spices and got cloves for 1/3 the cost of the store brand.

Kwill

• Bristles
« Reply #5951 on: March 13, 2016, 07:23:20 AM »
Feel better soon :(

Thank you! I lounged about and took multiple naps yesterday and then felt well enough to go out for an evening dance I'd planned in advance. Took another long nap today after church, and I think I might venture out again.

So my money-saving things today: Made breakfast at home, and ate one of the ready-to-heat meals I had on hand for lunch. I volunteered to join a choir at church, which may not save money per se but will amuse me for free and hopefully help me to feel more at home in my new community. This afternoon, I'm planning to bike down to a free dance practice session with free tea and cookies. I'll probably pick up a few grocery items on the way home.

NewMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5952 on: March 13, 2016, 07:41:13 AM »
Went to the local consignment store to get some emergency t-shirts for my toddler (it's been freakishly warm this week and she's grown out of last summer's clothes).  When I got to the checkout I learned that I had a store credit from some co-signing I had done ages ago, and only paid $2.47 for 2 Gap t-shirts!

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5953 on: March 13, 2016, 08:34:48 AM »
This was last week, but we took our toddler twins to the pet store for the first time. They were just as excited as if we'd taken them to the zoo (which they haven't been to yet), but it was FREE and much less tiring for them because it's obviously a much smaller space to walk around. They were THRILLED. Fish! Rats! Guinea pigs! KITTY CATS! DOGS! Omg so exciting for them.

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #5954 on: March 13, 2016, 08:52:13 AM »
This was last week, but we took our toddler twins to the pet store for the first time. They were just as excited as if we'd taken them to the zoo (which they haven't been to yet), but it was FREE and much less tiring for them because it's obviously a much smaller space to walk around. They were THRILLED. Fish! Rats! Guinea pigs! KITTY CATS! DOGS! Omg so exciting for them.
aw that is so cute!

i just signed up for a new credit card today- Quicksilver From Capital One. This will give me the 0% transaction fees abroad that i need.. and 50 bux yaaaahhhhhs!  Thanks to this forum for all the tips! Next will be chase sapphire.

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #5955 on: March 13, 2016, 02:55:57 PM »
We used to do this when our kids were young too.  Great free activity!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - Allen Saunders

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5956 on: March 13, 2016, 04:39:22 PM »
Picked up two bags of OPL (other people's leaves) and used them as free mulch for the empty patch near our house that we are guerrilla gardening out of ugliness.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

ohsnap

• Stubble
« Reply #5957 on: March 13, 2016, 06:41:20 PM »
Homemade pizza tonight!  Provolone & mozzarella & romano & peppers & italian sausage & olive oil & canned tomatoes from Costco, plus inexpensive bulk yeast and flour = inexpensive deliciousness. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5958 on: March 14, 2016, 07:27:41 AM »
Spent money on a tank of gas this weekend (to visit a relative on her 90th birthday), but, otherwise, no money spent since doing groceries last Tuesday!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5959 on: March 14, 2016, 08:53:57 AM »
Nabbed some leftover bagels, cream cheese, and lox from a family brunch get together.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year!): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5960 on: March 14, 2016, 11:49:16 AM »
I had a friend come over for brunch.  I made a salad with salmon (from the freezer), 2 pots of tea (sample + stuff I had), defrosted soup (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/10/slow-cooker-rosemary-garlic-beef-stew-slow-cooker/), and a vinaigrette. 

I also had a friend come over for dinner.  I made cookies (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16617/no-bake-cookies-v/ double the amount of cococa powder and use butter instead of margarine), pasta, chicken (from the freezer stash). 

I also made plans to have another brunch date with a friend next weekend.  I think we're going to do flatbreads (use this as a guide http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/02/caramelized-onion-artichoke-flatbread/). 
Homemade pizza tonight!  Provolone & mozzarella & romano & peppers & italian sausage & olive oil & canned tomatoes from Costco, plus inexpensive bulk yeast and flour = inexpensive deliciousness.
YUM!

Today, I packed my lunch (leftovers), breakfast, and snacks (COOKIES). 

I wanted to thank this board.  Several months back, someone mentioned making their own dressing.  I googled a few recipes, and now I'm hooked.  It's so much cheaper (and tastier) to make my own dressing.  Plus, it saves room in our condiment area of our fridge (We have SO many condiments!!!). 

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5961 on: March 14, 2016, 06:05:27 PM »
I managed to get some clothes I needed at a great discount by combining an online coupon (40% off) and a secondhand gift card on raise.com (30% off). And I resisted buying more stuff than I really needed when I found myself rationalizing that I should buy more to take advantage of the big discount.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5962 on: March 14, 2016, 06:23:14 PM »
Got off the plane and realized I'd forgotten my tuque (and it's cold out). But instead of caving and taking a cab home, I walked to the bus stop.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Peanutty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5963 on: March 15, 2016, 09:33:10 AM »
Sold my husbands old, unused hockey equipment to a consignment sports store. Used the money to buy new potlights at the hardware store to replace our burnt out bulbs.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5964 on: March 15, 2016, 10:24:16 AM »
I had loaded a coupon for a free Marie Calender's pot pie on my Fred Meyer rewards card, but then when I got my stuff to the car I noticed it hadn't been deducted -- because I had picked one that was the wrong size!  I took it back to the service desk intending to return it and get the right one, but the cashier gave it to me for free.  And now I still have the coupon on my card so I can get another one.  Not sure that is ethical, though.  I'd ask WWMMMD (What Would MMM Do) but the answer would be "not buy crappy mass produced food" -- I do like the occasional pot pie, though....

Between the free pot pie and my other coupons, I saved over $5.50 on groceries today. 
Wherever you go, there you are

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5965 on: March 15, 2016, 12:02:02 PM »
Took a survey a while back that netted me a coupon for a free salad in a jar. Used the coupon instead of making a salad for work today.

This afternoon, hubs and I are doing a taste test, which is a free meal each, plus each of us will also get a coupon for a free sandwich or salad.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Discover referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year!): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5966 on: March 15, 2016, 12:18:31 PM »
Spent $6.10 on 4 tubes of toothpaste, 2 bottles of bodywash and a gallon of milk at CVS. And I have $2 in ECBs for next week. CVS has very good deals on toothpaste and bodywash this week, and when I did my first transaction a coupon for $2 off any 2 tubes of toothpaste printed, sweetening the deal. If anyone wants to duplicate it, I did two each of the Crest, Colgate and Irish Spring deals. All the coupons are online printables rather than ones that require a newspaper.

http://hip2save.com/2016/03/12/cvs-deals-313-319-2/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:00:41 PM by serpentstooth »

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #5967 on: March 15, 2016, 12:35:19 PM »
-Coffee at home (wanted starbucks but overcame the urge)

-Took the most fuel efficient route to work (4 cylinder automatic) coasting/putting the car in neutral as much as possible

-Lunch from home (do this everyday while almost everyone around me eats trash food ((fast food)) or things they stopped and bought at the wawa.

-No plan to spend any money today!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5968 on: March 15, 2016, 01:06:15 PM »
* Skipped the drive-through breakfast; made fresh coffee and a yogurt parfait with homemade yogurt, rolled oats and blackberries.

* Insulated a light switch with a purpose-cut styrofoam tray left over from some groceries.

* Shipped a package using free stamps I was given by a friend from her late mom's collection in thanks for helping clean out her house.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Erma

• Stubble
« Reply #5969 on: March 15, 2016, 02:44:26 PM »
I went to the grocery store to get the water and the orange juice we won.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5970 on: March 15, 2016, 03:05:29 PM »
* Insulated a light switch with a purpose-cut styrofoam tray left over from some groceries.

Why did I never consider doing this?  Such a smart idea.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5971 on: March 15, 2016, 03:24:41 PM »

Wait, what is "insulating a lightswitch"? Is this an energy efficiency thing or an arc-flash, DIY safety type thing?
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5972 on: March 15, 2016, 03:36:36 PM »
Wait, what is "insulating a lightswitch"? Is this an energy efficiency thing or an arc-flash, DIY safety type thing?

There can be a draft through the switchplates on your outer walls, especially if your house is 100 years old like mine is.  These provide a small thermal barrier.  Surprisingly effective for what they are.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-Foam-Electrical-Outlet-and-Wall-Plate-Insulating-Kit-OS12H/100184290
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

AngryOcean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5973 on: March 15, 2016, 03:48:35 PM »
Last week we fought to Lower our assessed value on our house to lower the amount of property tax we will pay for years to come!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5974 on: March 15, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »

There can be a draft through the switchplates on your outer walls, especially if your house is 100 years old like mine is.  These provide a small thermal barrier.  Surprisingly effective for what they are.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-Foam-Electrical-Outlet-and-Wall-Plate-Insulating-Kit-OS12H/100184290

My house is 97 years old. Glad you mentioned this!
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

trailhugger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5975 on: March 15, 2016, 09:21:22 PM »
Weekly trip for groceries with a $68 bill, saved $42 by taking advantage of store specials. Buy 2, get 3 free coffee, woot, woot!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5976 on: March 16, 2016, 08:45:22 AM »
Weekly trip for groceries with a $68 bill, saved $42 by taking advantage of store specials. Buy 2, get 3 free coffee, woot, woot!
Nice!

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The MILFY Way to FIRE
« Reply #5977 on: March 16, 2016, 12:04:40 PM »
Finally have something to contribute again!

Today was my employer's lunch and learn with lunch provided. They usually stick leftovers in the lounge, so I'll probably scoot down there to see if I can grab tomorrow's lunch, as well.

Sadly, the information provided was ... not so helpful. :(

CourtneyT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5978 on: March 16, 2016, 12:22:51 PM »
After reading MMM's articles, I cancelled the $8/month phone insurance. I also plan to do homemade Christmas gifts this coming December. Also had a talk with my hubby that he can have more food budget for grocery store every month instead of one dollar here and there for unhealthy snacks (totally $50 a month).

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5979 on: March 16, 2016, 05:46:48 PM »
Took mega-fast navy shower instead of the hot bath I planned, and thus got to work on time.
Found un-advertised pork sale at the supermarket... got lardons, cutlets, and stew out of it.
Gave frequent flyer lounge passes to colleague in exchange for greater net happiness.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5980 on: March 16, 2016, 09:23:36 PM »
Y'all, I've been doing so good.

Yesterday was a frustrating and expensive day finalizing the death of my car. I had to rent a car and drive two hours south to deal with all of that, but I packed food and went for a hike at the state park after I got the stressful stuff done. While I had the rental car I ran as many errands as possible and did some stocking up on groceries, especially heavy or fragile things.  I spent all of my grocery budget through April 20th!  But that's ok, I'll just buy freah things and average out the same by May. I am very proud of myself for sticking to my lists. I could have used the opportunity to stock up as an excuse to buy indiscriminately.  I paused in front of a colorful Easter candy display but then I kept moving. 

I did not drink a soda. I did not buy fast food.

Tomorrow I leave for a four day conference. I got a scholarship to cover the dues. I am carpooling and sharing a hotel room. Tonight I packed food for the road and a couple meals. During my stock up yesterday I picked up a bottle of Evan Williams.  I'll be stingy at the bar and enjoy the house party.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #5981 on: March 17, 2016, 04:12:19 AM »
Sold my old IPad 1 ( yes the first one) for $40, I was going to recycle it so I'm happy for the $40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #5982 on: March 17, 2016, 06:36:27 AM »
Sold my old IPad 1 ( yes the first one) for $40, I was going to recycle it so I'm happy for the $40.

ooh! i wonder if i should try to sell my smashed non working iPad mini? i just don't know how to wipe the data that might still be on it.

I did the ol take home leftovers from a work meeting yesterday, fed both husband and me, i get to do the same today too, fab!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5983 on: March 17, 2016, 07:11:57 AM »
I was grocery shopping with the supermarket's app and noticed they had a digital coupon for free yogurt. It wasn't very good yogurt, but hey, free! Also got overcharged by $1 per pound on the corned beef I bought so got the difference refunded. It's simmering away in the Instant Pot right now.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The MILFY Way to FIRE
« Reply #5984 on: March 17, 2016, 09:41:34 AM »
I've declared today, "Questionable Leftovers Day."

Lunch is a chickenless chicken gyro (because SOMEBODY ate all the gyro chicken minus the pita bread, romaine, feta and tzatziki) so that's what I have. Also some ground beef with corn, black beans and taco seasoning in it left over from taco rice bowls the other day. The most questionable thing is a tiny bit of leftover chili. It may be an entire week old, not sure. Eh, I'll survive ;)

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5985 on: March 18, 2016, 05:56:08 AM »
Was together enough to get stock made from a chicken that was dinner earlier in the week. That plus the bits of meat I picked rom the bone once the stock was done and raiding the fridge for random leftovers and any veggies that were about to turn made a decent soup.

SMCx3

• Stubble
« Reply #5986 on: March 18, 2016, 06:05:25 AM »
We planned a June trip to Portalnd from Atlanta requiring the purchase of a few airline tickets.  We had a few hiccups the past few months in the budget due to some dental work and a car issue.  The family decided to cancel the Portland trip and now we are driving Charleston, SC instead for a long weekend.  We will be using hotel points and in the end will probably save around $1,500.

Looking forward to some quality time with my family no matter the location. 
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - Helen Keller

mashrach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5987 on: March 18, 2016, 06:47:13 AM »
Switched cell phone providers which will save me around $25 per month. I checked out some of the even less expensive providers like Ting but my old phone doesn't work on their network.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5988 on: March 18, 2016, 10:50:56 AM »
Did our taxes.

We are owed over 5k.

How fast we we sending that in? So fast.

Kwill

• Bristles
« Reply #5989 on: March 18, 2016, 12:12:19 PM »
Enjoyed a free museum and another free exhibit today with visiting family. I treated them to afternoon tea today at a place across the street from the museum that is relatively reasonable as things in the tourist zone go (12 per person instead of 18 or more). We scheduled tea for the earliest available slot and skipped lunch in anticipation, which worked well. It was cute enough to photograph for Facebook, and we got enough food that we didn't miss lunch. My mother has been treating me to lots of other meals plus a guided river tour on a punt, so I was happy to be able to treat her to something while she's visiting.

I managed to mess up my online banking with an overdraft today--the funds were in savings instead of checking. It was within the limits of the small overdraft line of credit I have, and I transferred money to cover it as soon as I saw the email from the bank. I'm going to count quick damage control as savings in this case; hopefully the total interest charge will end up being 2 cents or less.

texaslady22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5990 on: March 19, 2016, 06:44:24 PM »
A few things today:

1) Had a garage sale and made $200 with stuff we needed to get out of the garage.

2) Browsed other garage sales in the neighborhood. One lady told my kids "anything you want is free!" and they got some goggles they've been wanting.

3) Thought I'd take the kids to the movies tonight to give my husband some peace. However, after tickets and popcorn, realized I don't want to pay $35, so we didn't go (and the kids are none the wiser).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5991 on: March 19, 2016, 07:20:04 PM »
Used a cardpool referral to get a $10 starbucks card for $4. Will be nice for our next roadtrip. Starbucks always has the nicest restrooms... =)

Used a credit through best buy from DH purchasing a work computer to buy a new Chromecast (ours was from the beta and the sound leveling breaks constantly) for $5 instead of $35, and free shipping.

Ate some broccoli that was looking sad in the back of the fridge. Luckily, pan roasting is very forgiving, and it was still delicious. Going to use some slightly older milk tomorrow to make yogurt in my InstantPot.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5992 on: March 19, 2016, 07:30:59 PM »
Needed/wanted some things for the house, and so my sister and I made an afternoon of it and went to 3 thrift stores. We had a great time, I found 3 of the 4 things on my list at approximately 1/6 of the cost of new, and I stumbled upon a print by an artist who illustrates my daughter's favourite books (laminated, for 10$, in great condition...). Done and done.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #5993 on: March 19, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »
Used up the bits of leftover veggies for dinner last night. Also only had linner (combined late lunch/early dinner) and when I was hungry in the evening ate an apple and some toast.

Littlekind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5994 on: March 19, 2016, 09:06:06 PM »
Yesterday was a friend's 30th birthday and we were invited to dinner with a bunch of people. Another frugal couple brought their kids to our house, we shared a sitter, and ate a homemade pizza with the kids before going out to "dinner." We bought birthday boy a few beers and came out way ahead vs a usual night on the town.

Today I finally dug out the case of cloth diapers we'd used when my son was an infant and got them ready for our daughter, who is already 9 months old. I have wasted way too much on disposable diapers, especially when the cloth diapers have been here all along.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:10:02 PM by Littlekind »

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5995 on: March 19, 2016, 11:08:57 PM »
Had to go to CVS to pick up a prescription that was more expensive than I expected. Retaliated by spending $8 on $22 worth of items via ExtraCare Bucks and coupons. Turns out if you download the CVS app, you get $5 ExtraCare Bucks.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5996 on: March 20, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »
SirB figured out how to clean out my Boar Bristle Brush. I had tried out a co-wash option that ended up being far too waxy, and so there was just awful build up on the brush. I was seriously considering replacing it, but he took a fork and some Dr. Bronner's to it and it looks like new again.

One area I refused to save money: I did NOT use up the rest of that conditioner. I gave it away on my neighborhood's Buy Nothing Group. Along with some skin care products that didn't work out.

I suppose technically we saved money by washing our own cars (vs a car wash) and detailed the insides yesterday, but we always do that, so it only kinda counts =P

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #5997 on: March 20, 2016, 05:56:46 PM »

One area I refused to save money: I did NOT use up the rest of that conditioner. I gave it away on my neighborhood's Buy Nothing Group. Along with some skin care products that didn't work out.

I use conditioner that i doesn't end up working for my hair, to shave my legs, works great.

Eirene

• Bristles
« Reply #5998 on: March 20, 2016, 06:06:32 PM »
Finally got around to replacing the regular/CFL light bulbs in my new apartment with the LEDs I brought with me from my old place. Bought them at a deep discount at Home Depot last April around Earth Day and will keep an eye out for more this year. Love LEDs.

Also started using the drying rack again, trying to minimise dryer use. Some non-iron shirts have to go through the dryer though or they look chewed up.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5999 on: March 21, 2016, 07:26:40 AM »
I realised I had extra interest in a cash savings account and I realised my 0% credit card account was less than I thought. Easy way to realise I have 300 more than I had yesterday.:)