Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1560347 times)

LindseyC

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5750 on: February 22, 2016, 01:12:07 PM »
I went to the thrift store today to drop off some e-waste and found a copy of the board game Edison & Co. for $1.99 which will be awesome for my board game group. I also found a brand new unopened outdoor toss/magnet game for another $1.99, great for when I host outdoor games days once a month in good weather. I have quite the collection of thrifted and homemade outdoor games. Makes for full day, cheap entertainment when I host 20-30 people at the park for potluck picnic and games.

I came to work an hour early to make a little extra money and catch up a bit after being sick. For the next four months (busiest time of year) I can work about 11 extra hours a week (or more) so I am going to take advantage of that to really push to pay off my last bit of debt and plump up the emergency fund.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5751 on: February 22, 2016, 02:00:58 PM »
I locked in a cheap rate on TaxAct a few months back (I have a little taxable investment income so I can't do free filing) and when I did my taxes this morning, it ended up finding an $87 deduction I didn't know about. So I paid $14 to get $87 and save myself some time and trouble. Good deal! :-)
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

supermatthew

• Bristles
« Reply #5752 on: February 22, 2016, 02:06:39 PM »
I locked in a cheap rate on TaxAct a few months back (I have a little taxable investment income so I can't do free filing) and when I did my taxes this morning, it ended up finding an $87 deduction I didn't know about. So I paid $14 to get $87 and save myself some time and trouble. Good deal! :-)

Was it a credit or deduction? and which one, if I may ask?

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5753 on: February 22, 2016, 02:13:39 PM »

A credit, not a deduction - my mistake. I think it's a NYC-only thing so not useful to most folks, but it is the Enhanced Real Property Tax Credit, which never would have occurred to me to look into since I rent.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5754 on: February 22, 2016, 02:41:59 PM »

A credit, not a deduction - my mistake. I think it's a NYC-only thing so not useful to most folks, but it is the Enhanced Real Property Tax Credit, which never would have occurred to me to look into since I rent.

Thanks for mentioning this! According to this we are eligible, so I will make sure we claim it.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/credits/new_york_city_credits.htm

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5755 on: February 22, 2016, 03:19:18 PM »
Thanks for mentioning this! According to this we are eligible, so I will make sure we claim it.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/credits/new_york_city_credits.htm

:-)  Hope you save some $$ with it! I don't know how they calculate the credit since I let TaxAct do it... I guess it's anywhere from $0 to $500 depending on factors unknown to me.

Bonus item: Two concerts I was hoping to see just came up as "free for members" in the next two weeks at a place where I got a half-price membership on Cyber Monday. $40 worth of tix.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5756 on: February 22, 2016, 04:35:32 PM »
Ate half a free Chiptole meal for dinner. I'll have the other half for lunch tomorrow.

Got free toothpaste at CVS. You should all get some too! Even if you aren't a regular couponer, this one takes 2 seconds and is worth doing:

http://hip2save.com/2016/02/21/new-21-colgate-toothpaste-coupon-free-toothpaste-at-cvs/

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #5757 on: February 22, 2016, 08:42:16 PM »
I spent nothing today. Packed lunch, made coffee to go. Picked veg from the garden. Went to a free talk with a famous writer. Fun and all free.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5758 on: February 23, 2016, 06:48:42 AM »
Mesh laundry bags are awesome in the dishwasher, too. You can wash cookie cutters in them, for instance!

Or Legos. Trust me, your Legos are really dirty.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #5759 on: February 23, 2016, 07:44:18 AM »
Not today but this past week:

1. Bought CPAP machine I have been renting from supplier - saves €750 in 12 months and €104 per month thereafter but I bear the risk of breakdown (this risk expires after about 5 months as it will have saved its hire cost).
2. Sought redemption figure for mortgage from bank. Rate is low and almost equal to deposit rate so after savers' tax(DIRT here) and mortgage protection we will save €1,000 over the remainder of the 2.5 year term.
3. Paid junior's college fees with rewards credit card and will put the savings against electricity bill. Had to get cc limit increased to do this as Jan/Feb is heavy with car & house insurance and heating oil.
4. Brought Lidl purchased alcohol to hotel stay last weekend.

It all adds up.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5760 on: February 23, 2016, 09:55:30 AM »
Not today but this past week:

1. Bought CPAP machine I have been renting from supplier - saves €750 in 12 months and €104 per month thereafter but I bear the risk of breakdown (this risk expires after about 5 months as it will have saved its hire cost).
2. Sought redemption figure for mortgage from bank. Rate is low and almost equal to deposit rate so after savers' tax(DIRT here) and mortgage protection we will save €1,000 over the remainder of the 2.5 year term.
3. Paid junior's college fees with rewards credit card and will put the savings against electricity bill. Had to get cc limit increased to do this as Jan/Feb is heavy with car & house insurance and heating oil.
4. Brought Lidl purchased alcohol to hotel stay last weekend.

It all adds up.

My husband's CPAP hasn't broken once in 5 years of using it nightly. His is a ResMed brand and we bought it outright as well. We order supplies online from CPAP.com (may not be useful fr you in the EU, I know) and they are much cheaper than through the insurance company's suppliers.

pmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5761 on: February 23, 2016, 08:43:49 PM »
Feeling pretty good today.

Finished up first boil of sap from the three trees in our yard, ~2.5 cups syrup. Boiled over free pine wood.

DH noticed a neighbor around the corner was having a large maple tree taken down, asked if we could have the wood. Picked up 4 ranger truck loads!! Definitely need to send over some goodies for that. (wood stove heat)

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #5762 on: February 24, 2016, 03:16:48 AM »
 My husband's CPAP hasn't broken once in 5 years of using it nightly. His is a ResMed brand and we bought it outright as well. We order supplies online from CPAP.com (may not be useful fr you in the EU, I know) and they are much cheaper than through the insurance company's suppliers.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out. Fate is tempted now so fingers crossed I get at least 5 months out of it.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5763 on: February 24, 2016, 09:25:06 AM »
I found a hole in my work jeans yesterday when I took them off.  I ordered another pair on eBay ($11 including shipping).  It took less time than if I purchased them new. 

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The MILFY Way to FIRE
« Reply #5764 on: February 24, 2016, 10:40:44 AM »
Brought leftovers to work today that are reaching their edible limit.

Moved some money around to avoid potential fees.

Will be combining trips this evening to lessen gas use.

Inaya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5765 on: February 24, 2016, 12:00:56 PM »
Took a survey from my favorite salad place (which is actually a vending machine -- http://www.farmersfridge.com ) and they gave me a coupon for a free salad.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5766 on: February 24, 2016, 01:27:02 PM »
Brought both lunch and supper with me since we'll be here late, even though I really, really didn't want to.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5767 on: February 24, 2016, 01:51:10 PM »
Took a survey from my favorite salad place (which is actually a vending machine -- http://www.farmersfridge.com ) and they gave me a coupon for a free salad.

Those are such pretty salads! They make me want to eat one and I hate salad.

Inaya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5768 on: February 24, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »

The amazing thing is they actually look that good in real life! And they restock every morning, so they're fresh too. But pretty facepunch-worthy at $8-9 a pop. I save the jars for taking my lunch to work, so maybe that makes up for it a tiny bit. They also have receptacles in the vending machines so you can recycle the jars if you don't want to reuse them.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #5769 on: February 24, 2016, 03:51:55 PM »

Those look really good.  I have a dumb question re: jar salads - do you dump them out onto a plate to eat, or do you eat right out of the jar?  Seems like that would be kind of difficult and messy?

Bookmarked so I can make my own, thanks!

The amazing thing is they actually look that good in real life! And they restock every morning, so they're fresh too. But pretty facepunch-worthy at $8-9 a pop. I save the jars for taking my lunch to work, so maybe that makes up for it a tiny bit. They also have receptacles in the vending machines so you can recycle the jars if you don't want to reuse them.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #5770 on: February 24, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »
Spouse and I were able to ride to work together today! We are both shift workers (not at the same place) and our shifts are usually juuuust different enough that ride together isn't particularly feasible.

Inaya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5771 on: February 24, 2016, 07:49:58 PM »
Those look really good.  I have a dumb question re: jar salads - do you dump them out onto a plate to eat, or do you eat right out of the jar?  Seems like that would be kind of difficult and messy?

You remove the little dressing container from the top, then dump onto a plate. The greens are always on the top so it comes out first and makes a nice bed for the rest. Sometimes they really cram those jars full, so sometimes you need to encourage the greens a bit.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5772 on: February 24, 2016, 07:54:07 PM »
Today I unclogged the drain in the tub/shower using a hook made from a wire hanger. It took about 3 minutes, no expensive chemicals or plumber necessary.

DebtFreeBy25

• Stubble
« Reply #5773 on: February 24, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »
Mystery shopped a local gas station today which will more than pay for a full tank of gas when I'm reimbursed next month. I also mystery shopped a check cashing place by phone today (not worth it for the time it took to complete the survey) and a car dealership yesterday for a free oil change and car wash and $25. The company I'm working through is called IntelliShop.

Crystal1588

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5774 on: February 25, 2016, 07:01:54 AM »
Packed my lunch (which I do every day) but this morning I have a very uncharacteristic craving for Jimmy Johns.  Oh well, freezer burrito it is!

BriarRose111

• Stubble
« Reply #5775 on: February 25, 2016, 08:13:22 AM »
Today I unclogged the drain in the tub/shower using a hook made from a wire hanger. It took about 3 minutes, no expensive chemicals or plumber necessary.
Good work!  Have you seen those plastic things at the hardware store for getting the hair out of your drain?  They cost about $2 and because they are plastic they bend and get down in there really easy.  Since getting one, I have not had to buy Draino or the like for over 4 years.   (I used to have to use a bottle every few months just to keep ahead of it).

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5776 on: February 25, 2016, 08:39:13 AM »
Good work!  Have you seen those plastic things at the hardware store for getting the hair out of your drain?  They cost about $2 and because they are plastic they bend and get down in there really easy.  Since getting one, I have not had to buy Draino or the like for over 4 years.   (I used to have to use a bottle every few months just to keep ahead of it).

No! I've always just used the wire hangers but they are a little bit fiddly. I will look next time I'm at the hardware store.

Erma

• Stubble
« Reply #5777 on: February 25, 2016, 09:08:25 AM »
I found a coupon in the grocery store which I was able to use for our weekly grocery shopping. And it expires on the 12th of March, so I can use it two times more.

Inaya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5778 on: February 25, 2016, 09:08:42 AM »
You can also clean a super gunky drain by pouring in baking soda, followed with splashes of vinegar. Keep splashing vinegar in until the fizzing stops, then follow up with boiling water. Repeat until gunk stops coming up the drain with the boiling water. This won't get the hair out, but will get rid of the gunk matrix holding the hair, allowing you to remove it.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5779 on: February 25, 2016, 12:06:50 PM »
Repeat until gunk stops coming up the drain with the boiling water. This won't get the hair out, but will get rid of the gunk matrix holding the hair, allowing you to remove it.

Ew. I'm no longer hungry for lunch, so ... savings there? :P

Inaya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5780 on: February 25, 2016, 01:36:24 PM »
Ew. I'm no longer hungry for lunch, so ... savings there? :P

Happy to help. :D

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #5781 on: February 25, 2016, 02:12:48 PM »
I made batches of plain and vanilla yogurt. I hope the vanilla comes out well! Mr. FP has been buying commercial.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

Kwill

• Bristles
« Reply #5782 on: February 25, 2016, 03:01:15 PM »
I went to compline again tonight and was tempted to go to the grocery store a little afterward in search of half-priced baked goods for a dessert. Last night I got two almond croissants for 50p and devoured them both before bed. But instead, I went home and made toast with butter and strawberry jam, which was equally satisfying.

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5783 on: February 25, 2016, 06:10:53 PM »
I mentioned to my brother that my earphones had broken. His neighbor had just given him several sets for free, so my brother mailed two of them to me. Thank you, brother. Now I don't have to buy a replacement. Yay!

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #5784 on: February 25, 2016, 09:06:49 PM »
I was feeling kind of peckish when I left work and was contemplating buying a (cheap, unhealthy) snack, but I resisted and ate when I got home instead.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5785 on: February 26, 2016, 07:23:06 AM »
This week, I made (or started making): wine, beer, ricotta, mozzarella, yogurt, bread, pizza, sprouts, and a dress.

Next up: tiling the kitchen backsplash, which has been in my list for 8 months.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #5786 on: February 26, 2016, 07:55:45 AM »
I just started a new job last week, and as such, I received two paychecks last night (last one of the old job, first one of the new). The limit for contributing for 2015 into an RRSP is on Monday. Everything is paid for, for the next two weeks before my next paycheck (mortgage, cards are empty, bills are paid), so both these paychecks are going directly into my RRSP. BOOM.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5787 on: February 26, 2016, 11:22:31 AM »
I just started a new job last week, and as such, I received two paychecks last night (last one of the old job, first one of the new). The limit for contributing for 2015 into an RRSP is on Monday. Everything is paid for, for the next two weeks before my next paycheck (mortgage, cards are empty, bills are paid), so both these paychecks are going directly into my RRSP. BOOM.

Whoa. That's an awesome shot in the arm.

I packed my lunch (as usual) and signed up for a Lunch and Learn being presented in a couple weeks by the bank that manages our 401(k)s. A boxed lunch will be provided. Win-win!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5788 on: February 27, 2016, 01:48:46 PM »
I decided to pay my annual home insurance premium using a credit card for points, though cash was in my bank account. This meant I had to call the insurance company, since that is the only way it takes cc payments. The agent asked me if I had got the 1995 roof repaired, which I had had re-shingled this year. Savings on premium: $211.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5789 on: February 27, 2016, 01:56:43 PM »
Saved good shoe laces off shoes that died too young (I ripped the toe of one... luckily the shoes were freebies! Didn't fit my mom, haha). Bonus points: the shoe laces are bright pink and match one of my scrub tops. I'll use them to liven up/color coordinate the next pair of work shoes I get.

Using overripe bananas for 2 ingredient cookies, like I mentioned up-thread. Favorite recipe. I'm going to throw in chocolate from a bar we didn't like the flavor profile on very much- they'll be fine in the cookies, just not good for "dark chocolate and wine" evenings like we enjoy.

Used celery in my tuna salad for lunch instead of our usual pickles, since we're out and I didn't want to go to the store.

Spent even more time on taxes- figured out how to shuffle enough money into our tIRAs that we will qualify for the saver's credit, brining us to truly obscene levels of expected tax refunds. Getting married was an AWESOME choice!

Found a bed frame on CL similar to one we were looking at buying... if it works out, it'll be $20 instead of $175.

Making more home-made yogurt in the instant pot. Delicious and also cheaper. Also encourages me to eat more yogurt with real probiotic activity, which makes for happy GI flora. Wins all around.
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5790 on: February 27, 2016, 02:11:38 PM »
 Aha! Brachen_joy, you are the source of the two ingredient cookie recipe! I've been trying to figure out wher e I read that so I would know who to thank. I've been making them ever since I read your original post, and they're fabulous. I add raisins and a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder.

Today I saved money by spending money, not something I usually post. :-) I made the trip to Save a lot, which is about 5 miles further away than Walmart, and stocked up on all things that are cheaper there. Mostly this means I have all the canned goods in the world in my kitchen now. ( Walmart doesn't match regular prices, just things listed in sales flyers). May return tomorrow with my husband to help me, because I'm contemplating purchasing 50 pounds of chicken leg quarters at $.40 a pound.  I have to buy all 50 pounds to get the deal.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5791 on: February 27, 2016, 02:14:15 PM »
Aha! Brachen_joy, you are the source of the two ingredient cookie recipe! I've been trying to figure out wher e I read that so I would know who to thank. I've been making them ever since I read your original post, and they're fabulous. I add raisins and a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder.

So glad you're liking them! I actually found that recipe through Pinterest. We don't really eat bread anymore, so I didn't have banana bread to use up old bananas. And who doesn't need another way to eat oats? =D
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #5792 on: February 27, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »
Last week we bought 1kg of ground coffee for $20 for DH to use in the Aeropress. That's about half the usual price for that brand.

I'm shaving my head weekly at the moment while my hair grows back after chemo (it's growing back in patches and would look silly if I let it grow now). We have clippers, so each shave is free!

Kwill

• Bristles
« Reply #5793 on: February 27, 2016, 03:29:10 PM »
I walked through the mall in the center of town plus TK Maxx plus the supermarket, but I didn't feel like getting anything. I didn't even see anything I wanted at the public library, which would have been free. At least I think I've got a better guess as to my UK shoe size now, so it wasn't a total waste. I spent £2 washing and drying a load of laundry, saving about 20 or 40p by running out of the appropriate coins while some of my clothes were still a little damp.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5794 on: February 27, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »

So glad you're liking them! I actually found that recipe through Pinterest. We don't really eat bread anymore, so I didn't have banana bread to use up old bananas. And who doesn't need another way to eat oats? =D

Yep! Though I confess I go through my bananas at a remarkable speed, so much so that I bought a brown banana today in addition to my usual bunch of greenies for the week - I only had one of last week's that had lasted long enough to get ripe, and I needed two to make enough cookies for the week!

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5795 on: February 27, 2016, 11:13:01 PM »
I'm "home" for the weekend with friends. Packed some food and tea bags. Had a great night at the bars last night.  Lunch with friends today, then hiking and visiting more friends.  Total spent so far?  20.43. I still have food left for the three hour drive home tomorrow.

2 months soda free!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5796 on: February 28, 2016, 12:58:15 PM »

Yep! Though I confess I go through my bananas at a remarkable speed, so much so that I bought a brown banana today in addition to my usual bunch of greenies for the week - I only had one of last week's that had lasted long enough to get ripe, and I needed two to make enough cookies for the week!

Do you think this 2 ingredient cookie can be made with quinoa instead of oats? If so, would I have to precook the quinoa first before mixing with bananas or could I add raw quinoa to the banana and bake?

I'm asking because I have ripe bananas and no oats at home today and wanted to try this recipe.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5797 on: February 28, 2016, 01:18:08 PM »

Do you think this 2 ingredient cookie can be made with quinoa instead of oats? If so, would I have to precook the quinoa first before mixing with bananas or could I add raw quinoa to the banana and bake?

I'm asking because I have ripe bananas and no oats at home today and wanted to try this recipe.

Hmmm. Well, I know you have to rinse quinoa before eating or it has that awful bitter coat... so it would be wet when mixing. That could be a problem. And since it takes longer to soften then rolled oats, I would worry it'd be too "toothsome" uncooked. So maybe cooking it first, but then it's much wetter and could mess with the texture. Could be worth a try I think, but I don't have high hopes! I don't eat much quinoa though.

Maybe a baking genius like SerpentsTooth will weigh in!

Kwill

• Bristles
« Reply #5798 on: February 28, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »
Hmmm. Well, I know you have to rinse quinoa before eating or it has that awful bitter coat... so it would be wet when mixing. That could be a problem. And since it takes longer to soften then rolled oats, I would worry it'd be too "toothsome" uncooked. So maybe cooking it first, but then it's much wetter and could mess with the texture. Could be worth a try I think, but I don't have high hopes! I don't eat much quinoa though.

At that point, it might be easier to find an ordinary banana bread or cookie recipe with flour and so forth. Or just eat the bananas with the mix-ins. But would you link us to the cookie recipe again?

As far as saving money goes, I enjoyed a lot of free and pleasant activities today. I took a bike ride to Grantchester and enjoyed the scenery and visited an old church. Then I visited some gardens. I also attended functions at church that involved free lunch with wine and free tea with scones. In the evening, I went to Evensong at another chapel, which was also free and lovely. I donated a little change at two churches, but I didn't really "spend" anything per se.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5799 on: February 28, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »
My savings are going to be for my neighbors, actually! When hiking today, found a nice nike workout shirt, new looking, but squished up on the side of the road. Rescued it to bring home. It's the wrong size for DH though, so I'm going to wash it and offer it on my local Buy Nothing Group Chapter. Save someone else money and save a perfectly good shirt from roadside decay.

At that point, it might be easier to find an ordinary banana bread or cookie recipe with flour and so forth. Or just eat the bananas with the mix-ins. But would you link us to the cookie recipe again?

Of course!
http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/
I do toasted coconut flakes usually =)
I highly recommend doing butter to grease the pan. Adds some extra flavor that really rounds it up, and browns up nicely. Also recommend doing these in a metal pan, not glass, otherwise they're pretty soft comparatively and break apart easily.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:24:37 PM by Bracken_Joy »