Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1653733 times)

CindyBS

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5500 on: January 19, 2016, 07:17:51 PM »
I've been waiting a year to share this one . . .

*  made the final credit card payment this morning :)

I made it to zero!  It feels like a whole new beginning.

Congratulations!!  Way to go!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5501 on: January 19, 2016, 07:21:38 PM »

Bitch Magazine, on feminism and money and household labour. Gotta put that women's studies minor to use somehow, right? ;)

Where did you get your start in writing? I like to write and have some professional experience in research and writing, but I've never published an article. We have at least two common areas of interest, frugality and feminism, so perhaps you could recommend some sites to consider. (My other topics of choice include thrifting, politics, satire and advice.) I had thought about pitching to xojane.com but their content quality has deteriorated significantly in the past few years. While I'm no longer constrained by the nature of my work to not publish anything, I still have to give some consideration to mainstream standards of respectability.
[/quote]

I love Bitch! Have you written for them? 

aetherie

• Bristles
« Reply #5502 on: January 20, 2016, 06:49:45 AM »
Boyfriend needed a new dentist, I referred him to mine, and we both got $20 off our next visit.

ragesinggoddess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5503 on: January 20, 2016, 06:59:38 AM »
Used polyfill from the Buy Nothing group to restuff our sagging couch cushions. Couch is still looking pretty rough thanks to our cats, but at least it's comfortable now!

Second week eating this soup: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/01/chunky-lentil-vegetable-soup/ Even using canned beans, it's extremely cheap and filling.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5504 on: January 20, 2016, 08:08:18 AM »
Does not going to Starbucks for 3 days in a row count?

I had a bad Starbucks habit for the last year and since getting on the MMM train I've scaled down sbux to only Sat and Sun (each $1.89).

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
  • The ghost in the corner
« Reply #5505 on: January 20, 2016, 08:43:41 AM »
Opened up a TFSA account for Mr. SP.  Because I already had one with Tangerine, used my referral code.  We both get $50 added to our accounts.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5506 on: January 20, 2016, 09:29:16 AM »
I've been waiting a year to share this one . . .

*  made the final credit card payment this morning :)

I made it to zero!  It feels like a whole new beginning.

That's wonderful news! Good for you.

I'm going to do a dance of joy to celebrate.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5507 on: January 20, 2016, 09:36:27 AM »

I had a bad Starbucks habit for the last year and since getting on the MMM train I've scaled down sbux to only Sat and Sun (each $1.89).
Yes!  Way to go!  I had a hard time giving up my fancy cupcake obsession.  You're moving in the right direction!

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #5508 on: January 20, 2016, 10:25:08 AM »
When I'm making fiddly, time-consuming dishes with a lot of assembly time, like lasagna or stuffed shells, I make two batches at a time. It doesn't take much more time versus one batch because the sauce/noodle/filling prep time is basically the same, and it's not that big a deal to put in a little extra assembly time when you're already mentally in lasagna-making mode. Also, it's nice if a recipe as written leads you to have an extra half-pack of whatever left over. Example: today I am making Mexican stuffed shells to take to a potluck at work, and am making two pans so we can have one pan to eat at home. The recipe calls for brick of cream cheese, and since we don't eat cream cheese much, that just invites the other half brick to sit around going bad. Two batches means one full brick of cream cheese used. Easy peasy. Alternately, if not for the potluck, I'd just freeze the other batch for later.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5509 on: January 20, 2016, 11:02:08 AM »

Yes!  Way to go!  I had a hard time giving up my fancy cupcake obsession.  You're moving in the right direction!

Thanks Alpacas!!
oh yes... the cupcakes... LOL... luckily I love to bake, so now it's homemade apple cake and cinnamon streusel cake on the weekends.
Just got a 10 lb bag of flour for $7.97 at Walmart. That's a whole lot of streusels. :)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5510 on: January 20, 2016, 12:49:39 PM »
Resisted the urge to hang out at a coffee shop while waiting for my school tour to start this morning -- sat in the car and browsed the forum on my phone instead.

Had leftovers that were on the verge of going off for lunch both yesterday and today.  +1 for eating down the fridge/limiting food waste!

Tried an extra coupon on my lightbulb purchase this morning and it worked.  $.21 saved just for trying.
Wherever you go, there you are

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5511 on: January 20, 2016, 01:07:26 PM »
Parked on the street instead of in the "official" parking lot for the pediatric dentist. Saved ~$8.

Despite being told "No, the new company doesn't offer dental coverage," poking around on our health insurance revealed that they DID appear to bundle in pediatric dental insurance. Receptionist called in with our numbers and found out we are fully covered! Saved ~$250-300 out of pocket for the two kids. Yay!
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5512 on: January 20, 2016, 06:10:34 PM »
Parked on the street instead of in the "official" parking lot for the pediatric dentist. Saved ~$8.

Despite being told "No, the new company doesn't offer dental coverage," poking around on our health insurance revealed that they DID appear to bundle in pediatric dental insurance. Receptionist called in with our numbers and found out we are fully covered! Saved ~$250-300 out of pocket for the two kids. Yay!

Thank the ACA.  Pediatric dental and vision coverage is now mandatory. 
Wherever you go, there you are

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5513 on: January 20, 2016, 06:38:48 PM »

It's like living in a real First World Country, you guys!!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5514 on: January 21, 2016, 06:44:47 AM »

Next up: medications, therapy, and massages covered by your insurance. ;)

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5515 on: January 21, 2016, 08:04:58 AM »

If only....

Hopefully one of these days.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5516 on: January 21, 2016, 08:14:42 AM »

If only....

Quebec. This is pretty standard for employer insurance. My insurance is actually considered to be really crappy here because it 'only' covers 400$/year of massages and 400$/year of therapy. Also private insurances need to match the (obligatory if you don't have any other insurance) provincial drug plan... which has a maximum payment of under 90$/month. You need 1K of meds per month? Your cancer treatment costs 5K/month? No problem. 90 bucks.

Oh, and for the record, this level of private insurance for my entire family costs 94$/month.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:16:18 AM by Kitsune »

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5517 on: January 21, 2016, 08:22:29 AM »

If only....

Quebec. This is pretty standard for employer insurance. My insurance is actually considered to be really crappy here because it 'only' covers 400$/year of massages and 400$/year of therapy. Also private insurances need to match the (obligatory if you don't have any other insurance) provincial drug plan... which has a maximum payment of under 90$/month. You need 1K of meds per month? Your cancer treatment costs 5K/month? No problem. 90 bucks.

Oh, and for the record, this level of private insurance for my entire family costs 94$/month.

My girlfriend is in Alberta - I think she gets 12 massages a year? I forget. Infinitely more than what my insurance provides here in the States (i.e. none). :)

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5518 on: January 21, 2016, 11:29:47 AM »
Today I went for the little groceries I need with a list and during lunch break just with a shopping bag.

Results:
- I buy less if I have to carry it instead of pull my little cart.
- I decided to pick up only half of what was on the list because some of the items weren't on sale and it wasn't an immediate NEED.
- Walked out with $20 paid and $5 cash back in reward points.
- If I can stay away from stores this weekend, this will be all I need for the rest of the week. Yay!

esq

• Stubble
« Reply #5519 on: January 21, 2016, 12:39:53 PM »
Used polyfill from the Buy Nothing group to restuff our sagging couch cushions. Couch is still looking pretty rough thanks to our cats, but at least it's comfortable now!

I save our old bed pillows for this.  Really helps when the cushions are super saggy on our old sofa.  I keep adding them, they sag, I add some more old pillows.  Lather, rinse, repeat.
****Sent from my Pink Princess Rotary Phone.****

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5520 on: January 21, 2016, 12:44:58 PM »

I save our old bed pillows for this.  Really helps when the cushions are super saggy on our old sofa.  I keep adding them, they sag, I add some more old pillows.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

OMG. Using old pillows as stuffing instead of buying stuffing. WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS. I have old pillows, and I'd been holding off on buying stuffing for a craft project because I thought it was overpriced! BRILLIANT. Thank you so much!

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5521 on: January 21, 2016, 01:45:49 PM »
Buy Nothing Day.  :)

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5522 on: January 21, 2016, 02:11:57 PM »
Buy Nothing Day.  :)

CONGRATS!!! Those are the best :)

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5523 on: January 21, 2016, 04:24:51 PM »
* Used a mesh laundry bag to dry greens instead of buying a new $30 plastic salad spinner.

* Collected a bag of OPL (other people's leaves) to use as fresh bedding for the chicken coop.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5524 on: January 22, 2016, 02:41:40 AM »
It's a Buy Nothing Day for me too.

I got some cashback this morning, only 4 but every little helps.

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #5525 on: January 22, 2016, 03:33:47 AM »
A collegue let me know that the chef puts out the left over pastries in the afternoon when the canteen closes cause he cant sell them anymore. Talked to the chef and he said i can take what I want. So I got dinner for free! Have to check more often now.
Americans fighting through student loans in Germany - http://aufhellerundpfennig.com

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5526 on: January 22, 2016, 07:17:30 AM »
* Used a mesh laundry bag to dry greens instead of buying a new $30 plastic salad spinner.

* Collected a bag of OPL (other people's leaves) to use as fresh bedding for the chicken coop.

Oh I love this!! What a great idea!!

And as you mention it: my mom used clean kitchen towels, wrapped salad in and shook the towel vigorously. That was our salad spinner. No need for an extra plastic gadget!

dkaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5527 on: January 22, 2016, 08:00:32 AM »
This is a big thing rather than a small thing, but since I got the idea from a MMM thread, I must share.  We went for orthodontist referral for my almost 7 year old.  He (of course) proposed a Phase 1 of expander plus partial braces, likely followed by full braces when she's older.  I'm really not sure I buy into this phase 1 and phase 2 business.  Back in the day we didn't expand, we just pulled teeth!  But I'm really not an expert in this area. 
Anyway, Phase 1 estimate is $3200, phase 2 probably $4500.  Yikes.  After reading a thread on ortho services I decided to call our local dental college.  I will be able to visit them and get an evaluation in March.  Services provided there are about 50% less than private practice cost...... This could be some really huge savings!  Even though it means a 30 drive in traffic vs. 10 minutes to the private practice guy. 

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #5528 on: January 22, 2016, 08:24:01 AM »

And as you mention it: my mom used clean kitchen towels, wrapped salad in and shook the towel vigorously. That was our salad spinner. No need for an extra plastic gadget!

My mom used a salad spinner. I wanted one, too. After putting off this purchase for probably a year, I finally found what I was looking for: The same kind my mom had, half-price at Goodwill for $1!

Mesh laundry bags are awesome in the dishwasher, too. You can wash cookie cutters in them, for instance!
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5529 on: January 22, 2016, 09:22:47 AM »

My mom used a salad spinner. I wanted one, too. After putting off this purchase for probably a year, I finally found what I was looking for: The same kind my mom had, half-price at Goodwill for $1!

Mesh laundry bags are awesome in the dishwasher, too. You can wash cookie cutters in them, for instance!

Life improvement right there, thanks.

FerrumB5

• Bristles
« Reply #5530 on: January 22, 2016, 09:28:44 AM »
Will paint rooms in the house myself. Savings - enormous: contractors ask for $450+ per mid-size room + paint. Only expenses are paint, trays, paint rolls/brushes, beer, my weekend time. I'm good at painting walls so it will be an easy job

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5531 on: January 22, 2016, 09:46:20 AM »
Cut my own hair! Bzzzzzzzzz.
And then awkwardly got a co-worker to snip off the weird chuck on the back of my head I missed... >_>;; Go team?
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5532 on: January 22, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »
Another no spending day! Woot woot!

- no starbucks (saved $2)
- brought breakfast, snacks and lunch to work (saved $14 or so)
- walked to work and back
- dinner will be at home tonight (another $10 or so) and oh...
- since my dog is officially a service dog since October I get to bring him to work. No more $25 dog walker fees.

Saved today: over 50 bucks
Happy camper!

Harvestqueen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5533 on: January 22, 2016, 03:31:10 PM »
Today I picked up a cabbage, oranges and potatoes someone from my local Mommy Freecycle group was giving away. It was 2 bags full of perfect produce! I did the rest of my shopping at Costco where dairy is cheaper than the local grocery stores. This evening my husband and I will be taking our son to the local museum for an outing because it is Free Friday :-)

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5534 on: January 22, 2016, 04:50:36 PM »
Today I picked up a cabbage, oranges and potatoes someone from my local Mommy Freecycle group was giving away. It was 2 bags full of perfect produce! I did the rest of my shopping at Costco where dairy is cheaper than the local grocery stores. This evening my husband and I will be taking our son to the local museum for an outing because it is Free Friday :-)

awesome harvest I'd say!!! Well done!!!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5535 on: January 22, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »
Having dinner tonight with a large group of friends.  In order to avoid issues when it is time to pay the bill, I have already looked at the menu online, figured out my costs and have exact cash ready to go.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5536 on: January 23, 2016, 06:34:20 AM »
I have a ton of apples that I can buy cheaply from the local orchard.  Getting together with friends, two of whom are spendier than I am.  We agreed that I could bring dessert and spend less on the take out part of the meal.  Two of my three friends are very spendy.  So, I'm glad I'll be saving money there.  Originally they wanted take out from a more expensive place and I convinced them otherwise, so I'm considering this a win.  You know, until they determine that I'm their beer store brand soda budget friend.  ;)

I've had very little food waste this month.  For lunch I will be eating up a rather eclectic mix of leftovers to waste even less.

I'm thinking of doing a no spend week starting Monday. I may even be able to pull off a no spend February. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #5537 on: January 23, 2016, 07:17:36 AM »
This morning I'm sending off evidence to Texas that it was NOT my car using some random toll road in Texas, which I received a bill for.  Probably not even a savings considering I have to waste a stamp after going to the DMV to get documentation that my license plate has never been on a Silver F-150 (at least the DMV here rocks and there is almost no wait time).  All for a $2.56 bill.  Getting that erroneous bill kinda' raised my hackles though and I wanted to put it to bed.

Submitted online for a $15 rebate on my dog's meds.  Much better return on that than the toll bill.  :)

Refreshed my Craigslist ads and negotiated with a potential buyer on my espresso machine.  Hopefully she'll bite.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5538 on: January 23, 2016, 12:03:43 PM »
I have a ton of apples that I can buy cheaply from the local orchard.  Getting together with friends, two of whom are spendier than I am.  We agreed that I could bring dessert and spend less on the take out part of the meal.  Two of my three friends are very spendy.  So, I'm glad I'll be saving money there.  Originally they wanted take out from a more expensive place and I convinced them otherwise, so I'm considering this a win.  You know, until they determine that I'm their beer store brand soda budget friend.  ;)

I've had very little food waste this month.  For lunch I will be eating up a rather eclectic mix of leftovers to waste even less.

I'm thinking of doing a no spend week starting Monday. I may even be able to pull off a no spend February.

Well done!! Congrats!
It's a challenge to do something fun and cheap if you have friends who are spendy. Takes a lot of organization skill I find.
And yay for little food waste!

How are you planning to do a whole month without spending?? Not even milk?

G-dog

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5539 on: January 23, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »

Well done!! Congrats!
It's a challenge to do something fun and cheap if you have friends who are spendy. Takes a lot of organization skill I find.

We would need milk too. I can make bread, but milk is another matter. I suppose if you use dry milk or other shelf-stable versions. Or don't use milk.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5540 on: January 23, 2016, 12:34:38 PM »

Well done!! Congrats!

We would need milk too. I can make bread, but milk is another matter. I suppose if you use dry milk or other shelf-stable versions. Or don't use milk.

True. I've used almond milk in the past (the refrigerated kind) and it keeps a good 3 weeks.
Keep us in the loop !!!

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #5541 on: January 23, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »

Well done!! Congrats!

You can make almond milk! You could make sure you had enough almonds in stock at the beginning of the month :-). I've never tried it but it's a thing.

True. I've used almond milk in the past (the refrigerated kind) and it keeps a good 3 weeks.
Keep us in the loop !!!
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5542 on: January 23, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »

Well done!! Congrats!

You can make almond milk! You could make sure you had enough almonds in stock at the beginning of the month :-). I've never tried it but it's a thing.

Keep us in the loop !!!

Or rice milk. Dead easy to make:

http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/09/do-it-yourself-homemade-rice-milk.html

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5543 on: January 23, 2016, 02:30:30 PM »
So today was another stay up on the mountain all day kind of day. Unfortunately, we had to stay here - staring out at the unnatural hard water all over the ground and trees. Ice is for tea, I say. It doesn't fall from the sky.

That shit ain't right.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5544 on: January 23, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »

Well done!! Congrats!

Keep us in the loop !!!

Making Almond milk is a bit of a hassle since one needs a cloth to strain it through. But rice milk or hemp milk is super easy and doesnt require straining. I have made hemp milk in the past and really all you need is water, hemp seeds and a blender.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5545 on: January 23, 2016, 07:02:30 PM »
So today was another stay up on the mountain all day kind of day. Unfortunately, we had to stay here - staring out at the unnatural hard water all over the ground and trees. Ice is for tea, I say. It doesn't fall from the sky.

That shit ain't right.

Heh. I'm under 2+ feet of snow after living in Phoenix for 4 years...I know the feeling.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5546 on: January 23, 2016, 07:06:15 PM »
Boiled a whole chicken, pulled the meat off the bones, froze some of it for later, and am now cooking down the bones for stock.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5547 on: January 23, 2016, 08:49:26 PM »
Yesterday: Was supposed to go out for a drink with my boss after work and she ended up buying me dinner (and telling me how useful our conversation was to her). And I took home leftovers. Two free meals (and wine).

Today: Spent $0 being snowed in. Spent a lot of time relaxing, but also did some productive things: made chicken soup from scratch with leftover chicken/homemade stock/frozen veg; made a dinner salad with rest of leftover chicken and some walnuts I had in the freezer; made some pinto beans in the new Instant Pot. Also gave myself a haircut.

Now I'm going to go listen to some music I bought last weekend for $3 under what they were selling it for at the merch table, via an unlikely series of events involving running into someone at Winter Jazzfest, mentioning that I was planning to buy a CD, and he just happened to have, under his chair, an entire box of that exact avant chamber jazz album, which he was willing to sell me on the spot. I think it is safe to say the odds are against me ever saving $3 that way again.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

esq

• Stubble
« Reply #5548 on: January 23, 2016, 09:42:46 PM »

OMG. Using old pillows as stuffing instead of buying stuffing. WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS. I have old pillows, and I'd been holding off on buying stuffing for a craft project because I thought it was overpriced! BRILLIANT. Thank you so much!

You're so welcome!  For the sofa, I don't even take the stuffing out.  I just stick the whole pillow in there.  I still remember when I thought of this idea three years ago - I was so proud of myself, LOL.
****Sent from my Pink Princess Rotary Phone.****

misshathaway

• Stubble
« Reply #5549 on: January 24, 2016, 01:58:34 AM »
Cancelled Amazon Prime. Only reason I knew it was renewing was that they tried to bill my credit card and it was out of date. If you don't want yours to autorenew go change the setting. I resent anything that autorenews without my explicit permission anyway.

I won't be consuming enough to save $99 on free shipping and don't use the other benefits as much as I thought I would.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in