Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020886 times)

jscott2135

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #500 on: March 03, 2014, 01:25:19 PM »
I bought generic cola for my Rum (which I bought value sized at Costco in WA state) I know I know you're all wildly impressed. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #501 on: March 03, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »
Instead of letting my online subscription to the NY Times be automatically renewed at $7.50 per month, I called and asked if there was a better rate available.  They gave me 3 months at $1.  Win!

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #502 on: March 04, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »
I worked an overnight shift last night. When I got into work, they asked me to work an extra 2 hours.
I negotiated a rate for those 2 hours that worked for me.  Money in the bank.

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #503 on: March 04, 2014, 02:13:19 PM »
I mentioned this on another thread too, but I was actually looking forward to posting it here. :-)

Yesterday was my birthday, and I saved money by staying home, eating homemade gnocchi and blueberry muffins with my son, putting him to bed and then filing my taxes for no refund.

It was glorious!

LanceBurkhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #504 on: March 04, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »
Paused outside the starbucks that I pass on my way to work. Smelled the coffee. Felt the shitty mood I was in. Thought about all the work I had to do. Thought about this forum, walked away.

Michread

• Stubble
« Reply #505 on: March 04, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »
Decided to use my tea bag twice for 2 mugs/day instead of 2 bags/2 mugs/day (16 oz mug).  If I don't seep the tea bag for too long for the first mug it works well.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #506 on: March 04, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »
Decided to use my tea bag twice for 2 mugs/day instead of 2 bags/2 mugs/day (16 oz mug).  If I don't seep the tea bag for too long for the first mug it works well.

I've found that a 2-cup teapot is the best way to get the most out of my teabags.  1 teabag, fill teapot with water, cover with a teacosy (or a kids hat, as it may be).  That way the first two cups have got the same amount of caffeine/flavour etc.

I haven't tried re-using the teabag for a second pot-load, though.  I've always been a bit meh about re-using teabags as all the good stuff seems to steep out with the first use.

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #507 on: March 05, 2014, 02:29:28 AM »
I use two teabags to produce about 1 litre of tea using an thermos flask; that are about 4 mugs, so mathematically the same as using a bag twice however i think the taste is better, because the "savings" even out over all mugs.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #508 on: March 05, 2014, 12:20:55 PM »
Early last week I decided to try the trick of sticking cut green onions into a jar with water, and holy cow does it grow.  I've been cutting stalks all week.  Last night, I tried the same thing with a cut romaine heart, and I'm hoping for some baby greens.   

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #509 on: March 05, 2014, 12:22:33 PM »
you're growing new onions from the roots? or what do you mean?

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #510 on: March 05, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »
I bought generic cola for my Rum (which I bought value sized at Costco in WA state) I know I know you're all wildly impressed.
Yep, baddassed:)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #511 on: March 05, 2014, 12:37:13 PM »
Forgot to bring my lunch to work...instead of picking up take-out, I had a can of soup (kept in my office for this exact reason), a few crackers, and a can of pear slices. 

I also have NO idea how long the pear slices have been here or why I brought them.  Maybe I thought it was a can of soup. 

I load up on cans of Chunky soup when I can get them for under $1.50.  It's not the healthiest lunch, but the cans are easily stored in my office for long periods of time. 

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #512 on: March 05, 2014, 12:38:03 PM »
I bought 64 sausages because they were on offer. The same sausages were available in two different packs, each on different offers, and obviously, according to supermarket logic, the smaller packs turned out to be over 33% cheaper than the big ones. Apparently, normal people don't do arithmetic.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: March 05, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »
I bought 64 sausages because they were on offer. The same sausages were available in two different packs, each on different offers, and obviously, according to supermarket logic, the smaller packs turned out to be over 33% cheaper than the big ones. Apparently, normal people don't do arithmetic.

I've noticed the same thing!  Oh well.  I just buy more of the smaller size. 

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:57:05 PM by MicroRN »

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #516 on: March 05, 2014, 01:23:12 PM »
I'd heard about pineapple, and potatoes (this is how we used to plant potatoes in the garden, anyway - cut them in half and toss them in) but I just hadn't considered the onion would regrow with just water.  Thanks for the link!!!

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #517 on: March 05, 2014, 05:19:05 PM »
you're growing new onions from the roots? or what do you mean?

Scallions or chives, just stick the white part in a glass of water and put it in the windowsill. They grow right back.

Serve&Volley88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #518 on: March 05, 2014, 05:51:08 PM »
I had jury duty today. When we broke for lunch, the other jurors were excitedly discussing the nearby restaurants and delis they would be patronizing. Rather than shell out $10+ for my meal, I enjoyed with quiet satisfaction the soup and PB&J I made.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #519 on: March 05, 2014, 05:58:26 PM »
Just switched electricity providers.  Saving perhaps $100 per year, but hey, it's all worth it.

carloco

• Stubble
« Reply #520 on: March 05, 2014, 07:50:01 PM »
I ordered an O2 sensor for my vehicle and made french Bread and pizza crust from scratch.
I also ordered clothesline pulleys hoping that I can, this time, have a bitchinly cool working solar clothes dryer

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #521 on: March 05, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »
I did nothing to save money today other than to walk by several coffee shops and keep moving.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #522 on: March 06, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
Apparently, normal people don't do arithmetic.

Neither does this guy.

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #523 on: March 06, 2014, 04:31:35 PM »
I braved my coworkers' scorn (and it worked out okay).

I bought an inexpensive salad to eat at a coworker's going away lunch, while everyone else ordered expensive entrees - I thought we'd all be on separate checks.  When the check came for the entire party, someone started doing the math for dividing it all equally.  I piped up about how some of us had ordered quite inexpensively.  My boss ended up putting it on her corporate card so the whole thing could be expensed.

Pre-Mustachian, I would have just borne the extra expense and written it off as not rocking the boat because "I can afford it, right?" Now I don't care if they think I'm being cheap.

LanceBurkhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #524 on: March 06, 2014, 06:32:33 PM »

I bought an inexpensive salad to eat at a coworker's going away lunch, while everyone else ordered expensive entrees - I thought we'd all be on separate checks.  When the check came for the entire party, someone started doing the math for dividing it all equally.  I piped up about how some of us had ordered quite inexpensively.  My boss ended up putting it on her corporate card so the whole thing could be expensed.

Pre-Mustachian, I would have just borne the extra expense and written it off as not rocking the boat because "I can afford it, right?" Now I don't care if they think I'm being cheap.

Badass! Good work.

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
« Reply #525 on: March 06, 2014, 06:38:59 PM »
Got rental insurance for $8.34 per month!  I did a ton of searching and eventually went with Liberty Mutual.  I was able to get a really good deal by opting for a high deductible and minimum coverage options.  I also got a preferred customer discount from my employer. 

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #526 on: March 07, 2014, 06:29:26 AM »
Brought milk to work today and a couple tea bags rather than sending someone out for decaf :) ...

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #527 on: March 07, 2014, 07:17:41 AM »
last night was one of those nights where I just kind of crashed... felt like crap so I skipped my run and my awesome boyfriend took our dog for a walk while I laid on the couch like a slug. neither one of us felt at all like cooking dinner, and we briefly entertained the idea of ordering food for delivery...

then we got it together and made some sort of easy fried rice knockoff for sustenance. rice+eggs+frozen peas+two bell peppers that needed to be used up = WAY cheaper than delivery or takeout! I was really proud of us for facing down the challenge of exhaustion :)

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #528 on: March 07, 2014, 07:25:16 AM »

Seriously, I hate that! Good for you!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #529 on: March 08, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »
I took the kids to the Goodwill and picked up three pairs of sturdy and lightly worn jeans for $6. Cheapest local source for new jeans is $6 each, and they're badly made. Darn kids and their ever-lengthening legs.

We also swung by the dollar store so they could spend part of their chore money, and found a few items on sale that were on my grocery list to buy later in the day, so I picked them up, saving about $4.

I'm making curry using chick peas which I bought dried. I added some left-overs, and didn't use meat.

When I grocery shopped this afternoon, I only bought what was on my list, which included lots of actual ingredients and few convenience foods. The list was made based on a weekly menu that incorporated lots of things from the pantry to try to whittle that down a little.

The bagger packed my groceries into reusable shopping bags, including one I made out of a cat food bag. Very cute, and I didn't have to buy a new one to replace the one that disintegrated.

I figured out how to take in my uniform top using my Craigslist sewing machine, instead of buying a new top, saving $35.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #530 on: March 08, 2014, 03:57:35 PM »
Repaired two vehicles and a work shirt today. One vehicle needed a hose, the other just a radiator and heater core flush (it needs a new core and likely a radiator, but today should buy us a few months).

Putting off grocery shopping and instead will be making something to be determined from the pantry and freezer for supper. I have at least four or five options without getting creative.

Planned a menu for the week based on what we have, but I do that every week.

payitoff

« Reply #531 on: March 08, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »
weeklong sum-up

-got free lunch from a co worker coz  forgot to bring my own lunch, was ready to pull my emergency lunch drawer at work to have an oatmeal, thanks co worker!

-recycled leftover costco dinner into a baked chicken, costco chicken, frozen veggies, spaghetti sauce, over for 30 mins topped with grated cheese.

-forgot to bring kids pants after swimming class, couldve been an easy walmart trip for a $3 pair of pants, but stayed extra time at the drying machine and let the kids wear the swimming shorts going home, they actually looked like surfer dudes at the grocery with that floral shorts :D

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #532 on: March 08, 2014, 05:31:08 PM »
weeklong sum-up

-got free lunch from a co worker coz  forgot to bring my own lunch, was ready to pull my emergency lunch drawer at work to have an oatmeal, thanks co worker!

-recycled leftover costco dinner into a baked chicken, costco chicken, frozen veggies, spaghetti sauce, over for 30 mins topped with grated cheese.

-forgot to bring kids pants after swimming class, couldve been an easy walmart trip for a $3 pair of pants, but stayed extra time at the drying machine and let the kids wear the swimming shorts going home, they actually looked like surfer dudes at the grocery with that floral shorts :D

Love it!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #533 on: March 08, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »
Used my Starbuck's freebie drink for a free post-race treat.  After picking up our co-op produce basket, determined that we needed very little from the grocery store this week - got out of there for $15 + store points and 5% credit card rewards, naturally.  Now making homemade bread and a nice soup with the dribs and drabs of last week's vegetables and leftover roast chicken.

Shipped off a couple things I sold on Ebay using the Ebay/PayPal discounted shipping and dropped them by the post office on the way to my race instead of going out of my way.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #534 on: March 08, 2014, 07:14:53 PM »
Making pesto scrolls and fudge from scratch, using ingredients I already had on hand, to take to a pot luck picnic.

Doing a big batch of cooking in the space of a few hours to minimise electricity usage - the oven is a killer if I don't minimise its use.

Cooking up all the sad forgotten veges from the bottom of the fridge into tasty new dishes to eat throughout the week.

Skipping my grocery shopping this week!

TheRedHead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • There's a whole lotta (fill in the blank) going on here.
« Reply #535 on: March 08, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »
Planted seed potatoes today. Not only do we get to try exotic types of taters but, since we eat quite a few spuds every week, planting them makes a ton of sense. Plus fresh potatoes can't be beat.

Instead of going to brunch at a restaurant tomorrow with a friend who is in town, I suggested we pick up some pastries from a bakery and meet at a playground. My kiddo will be MUCH happier getting to play while she and I can talk in freedom.

Instead of starting a new crafting project (learning to knit a sweater), I pulled out my needle points that I haven't touched in months and started doing them again. No new projects till these are done.

Almost forgot the big one - took our car insurance down to liability only.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 08:57:34 PM by TheRedHead »

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #536 on: March 08, 2014, 10:40:35 PM »
Nothing today, but yesterday I swung past a couple of op shops - found 3 Redwall books in the 'free for the taking' box at one shop (my kids LOVE these books), and found a knife sharpening steel for  50c at another - we have lost ours and we neeeeeds it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Thanksgiving in March!
« Reply #537 on: March 09, 2014, 12:52:10 PM »
Not sure if this counts as "saving money" or just a cheap way of hosting a group of friends, but...

A few days after Thanksgiving I bought an extra whole turkey for 1/3 it's normal cost, and it's been sitting in my freezer since.

Today we're hosting a "thanksgiving in march" with friends.  Everyone's bringing a side and a friend brewed a batch of octoberfest-style beer just for the occasion.  All told we're spending less than $20 to feed a group of 8 people - which of course will yield lots of leftovers for turkey sandwiches, turkey soup, and turkey enchilladas. 
I'm so excited and our house smells amazing right now.

Herk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #538 on: March 09, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »
I made my own bread. A big batch that will last about a month, and it was perhaps 15 minutes of work to do it!

Tastes great too, fresh out of the oven, with some aged cheese on top.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Thanksgiving in March!
« Reply #539 on: March 10, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »
Not sure if this counts as "saving money" or just a cheap way of hosting a group of friends, but...

A few days after Thanksgiving I bought an extra whole turkey for 1/3 it's normal cost, and it's been sitting in my freezer since.

Today we're hosting a "thanksgiving in march" with friends.  Everyone's bringing a side and a friend brewed a batch of octoberfest-style beer just for the occasion.  All told we're spending less than $20 to feed a group of 8 people - which of course will yield lots of leftovers for turkey sandwiches, turkey soup, and turkey enchilladas. 
I'm so excited and our house smells amazing right now.

that sounds awesome!!!

also you might already know this about Oktoberfest beers, but it's extra appropriate that you're doing this in March: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/29/ :)

my money-saver is that I gave up beer and wine for Lent, with the result that I barely drank at all this weekend! I sampled some sriracha vodka that my boyfriend bought (OMG it was good and I don't even like vodka) and I drank a $1 shot that someone else bought me. otherwise, no booze. it was awesome!

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #540 on: March 10, 2014, 11:00:14 AM »
When I grocery shopped this afternoon, I only bought what was on my list, which included lots of actual ingredients and few convenience foods. The list was made based on a weekly menu that incorporated lots of things from the pantry to try to whittle that down a little.

I did this too yesterday!  It felt really good about leaving the store with four grocery bags full of good, delicious, whole food and spending less while I was at it. And I even used coupons! (Something pretty new for me.)

The bagger packed my groceries into reusable shopping bags, including one I made out of a cat food bag. Very cute, and I didn't have to buy a new one to replace the one that disintegrated.

I am very curious about this cute cat food bag you speak of.  Is there a pattern or pic of something like it online? I'm having a hard time imagining it and I'm intrigued. :-)

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #541 on: March 10, 2014, 01:10:13 PM »

I am very curious about this cute cat food bag you speak of.  Is there a pattern or pic of something like it online? I'm having a hard time imagining it and I'm intrigued. :-)

I followed these instructions, kind of. Mine is bigger, isn't lined, and I used a strip from the back to make a handle. Also, my source bag had a picture of a cat on the front, who promptly received a Sharpie mustache.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Funky-recycled-pet-food-bag-pursetote/

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #542 on: March 10, 2014, 01:40:03 PM »
tmac -- awesome!!!

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #543 on: March 10, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »
I went to a family-run supermarket to buy my groceries; only discovered them a couple of weeks ago, but overall something like 20% cheaper than the chain supermarket I'd been shopping at. Mostly buying fresh fruit/veg, but it also turns out I've been paying a 12% premium on exactly the same bread just because I didn't know to walk another five damned minutes further.

The extra ten minutes of walking is even made up by not being in an enormous chain supermarket which plays hide-and-seek with what you want to buy.

frugalamber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #544 on: March 10, 2014, 06:46:37 PM »
2 things:
1. Bought milk to make tea in office for afternoon drink; rather than pay $1.60 per day in Tim Hortons.
2. Took my home-made lunch for a lunch with friends/colleagues, rather than pay $9-10 dollars for food from Chinese place. Was bith awkward at start, as they expected me to buy lunch as i used to do; but end up being all fine. Repeat in future as well.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #545 on: March 10, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »
Yesterday it warmed up above freezing outside, 0C. I washed the car in the driveway. It was with a bucket and rag, the hose is still frozen.

Usually the lineup at the carwash on the first warm days hits 30 minutes. Everyone just sits there with their cars idling, moving one spot at a time.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #546 on: March 11, 2014, 01:30:36 AM »
Made a big batch of homemade buns and took half a dozen to two different neighbours. Ate the rest ourselves with beef dip and a salad for dinner with homemade balsamic dressing. Drank tea at home and took a full travel mug when I went out, too. Turned off the furnace during the day (lovely and mild today in the Pacific Northwest).

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #547 on: March 11, 2014, 05:59:43 AM »
Heat off all day and night here. It was sunny durning the day and so we had solar heat, and high thermal mass kept us at 63F overnight (outside was 40F). Will keep it off today, but back on tomorrow and the next night when we get what may be our last freeze of the season.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #548 on: March 11, 2014, 07:24:53 AM »
Yesterday I took a light fixture that we never got around to installing back to Lowe's.  Didn't have a receipt, but I asked nicely and they gave me a store credit and now I have one less thing lying around in the garage.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #549 on: March 11, 2014, 11:57:39 AM »
Returned 3 packages of blueberry bagels that were mouldy the day we bought them. Ewww! Will be a while before I buy bagels again.  Should be making my own bread anyways!