Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1733322 times)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4800 on: November 05, 2015, 06:28:38 AM »
I converted my kids from lucky charms to oatmeal!  Because on oatmeal you can have brown sugar and cinnamon!!!  :D  I've been trying to get them to give up lucky charms voluntarily for awhile.

I thought this was a thread about saving money, not bad parenting? lol - jk. I've got a kid and I was a huge fan of Lucky Charms growing up (maybe I still am?) --- but I haven't let her try it. Good job on the conversion. :)

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4801 on: November 05, 2015, 07:15:56 AM »
I converted my kids from lucky charms to oatmeal!  Because on oatmeal you can have brown sugar and cinnamon!!!  :D  I've been trying to get them to give up lucky charms voluntarily for awhile.

I thought this was a thread about saving money, not bad parenting? lol - jk. I've got a kid and I was a huge fan of Lucky Charms growing up (maybe I still am?) --- but I haven't let her try it. Good job on the conversion. :)

It is indeed about saving money!  Lucky charms are expensive!!!  (But yes, this gets me +1 on the better parenting scale too.)  Did you eat all the marshmallows first or did you save them all until the end?
“Except when awesome is just awesome, because sometimes it is.” - Scrubby

Journal = My life is an exploding volcano of awesomeness

Long term goals:  Stay fit, NW0 by 40, and FI by 50.  Required SR:  65%.  SR goal for monthly income: 50% (Extra paychecks and other compensation makes up the other 15%).

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4802 on: November 05, 2015, 08:50:24 AM »

It is indeed about saving money!  Lucky charms are expensive!!!  (But yes, this gets me +1 on the better parenting scale too.)  Did you eat all the marshmallows first or did you save them all until the end?

Save them until the end. That's the only right way to eat them. :)

Actually, I'd save them to the end. Pour in a 2nd bowl and save the marshmallows from both bowls and then eat them all. :)

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #4803 on: November 05, 2015, 11:36:49 AM »
*  Its getting chilly, but I've yet to turn on the heat at the house.
*  Took public transit to work.
*  Enjoying free work coffee in own stainless steel mug.
*  Brought homemade lunch.
*  Leftovers in the freezer, ready for dinner.
*  No spend day (already had the bus ticket . . . )

All of this has become so very routine - ha ha!  (That's a good thing!)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4804 on: November 05, 2015, 12:50:56 PM »
I had originally planned to do a Greenlake walk, followed by treating myself to coffee out while I wrote the recommendation letter I need to get in today.  But when I drove DS to school it was raining a bit, so decided just to go to the gym afterall and not buy the coffee.  Just finished the recommendation letter while drinking my own coffee at home, and now I'm having the leftover garlic bread from last night topped with some mozzerella cheese for lunch.
Wherever you go, there you are

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4805 on: November 05, 2015, 06:23:10 PM »
Small things, small things today. Packed lunch, pegged out washing, saved on train fare by getting a lift (and quality time) with my husband (car and fuel are provided through his work).

Oooh, last night I got out the Christmas cards I purchased in last year's post-Christmas sales. Between friends and family and work contacts we end up sending out about 100 cards so I buy beautiful cards in the sales then put them away.

This time I picked up 10 boxes for $1 per box (marked down from $8 per box, so I saved $70).

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4806 on: November 05, 2015, 10:07:40 PM »
Packed lunch, filled my green-tea-brewing-mason-jar with water at work (it's cold brewing overnight), passed on Thai w/roommates and ate a bagel instead.

It's the little things that add up, right? :D

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #4807 on: November 06, 2015, 06:11:13 AM »
As per usual, I walked to work, brought my lunch, drinking free tea at work, had breakfast and will have dinner at home and have a NSD.  Oh, and I have yet to turn on my heating - it is unnaturally "warm" here in Glasgow for November.
A goal without a plan is just a wish

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4808 on: November 06, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »
This was yesterday but it was within the last 24 hours so I figure it counts and I am proud of it.  While out yesterday, had a strong impulse to visit expensive hamburger place for lunch.  Instead pulled an individually wrapped Twinkie (from a $0.99 box of 10 from Grocery Outlet) out of my backpack and finished my thermos of tea.  $20 to the good.

DonkeyGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • ...with two donkeys and a mare
« Reply #4809 on: November 06, 2015, 11:36:29 AM »
Sold a horse today!

That is huge! Congrats!!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:39:43 AM by J Mo »

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #4810 on: November 06, 2015, 12:11:13 PM »
Today (and in the last few days) I improvised lunches with all the little odds and ends of food I've been finding in the kitchen/pantry. It's mostly due to a lack of organization, but still, I'd rather eat a bit of bread, some expired-but-still-good hummus and lamb's quarter that buying a 7$ salad.

Our rule in the house is that my DH stops eating stuff when it expires, I stop eating stuff when I decide it's rotting. And I admit it, sometimes I push my guts to their limits. Guess which one of us is healthier? :-D
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

frugalparagon

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #4811 on: November 06, 2015, 02:44:18 PM »
Called around to get best price on snow tire mounting. Big chain is $30 cheaper than the local place. (Don't worry, I give the local place plenty of love for actual repair work.)
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4812 on: November 06, 2015, 02:46:46 PM »
This is my third cup of tea on this tea bag!
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

FerrumB5

• Bristles
« Reply #4813 on: November 06, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »
Reminded AT&T about my reward card, that was promised but then quietly forgotten.
On the other hand, weekend will be mega anti-mustachian with an old friend visiting :)

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4814 on: November 07, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
Looked at my home insurance renewal today. It went up by $10 a month.

I called, updated some information: new roof 2014 & no mortgage.

Saved $350/ per year.

I asked about paying upfront. No advantage.

I asked about Credit card vs direct bank, which we currently have.

Cc is one extra payment. NO THANKS!

"Some people choose that for the points"

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4815 on: November 07, 2015, 05:41:59 PM »
Instead of their usual monthly breakfast out, today MIL and BIL will be brunching at home with the BF. I've made banana bread and will be making myself scarce, in the hope that they'll decide to switch to at-home family brunch more frequently. Even if we're hosting everyone it's much cheaper.

Starting more seedlings from scratch today. Cleaning my own house (does that count?). Making my work lunches for the week ahead, with beans cooked from scratch and cheap veges from the farmers' market. Doing laundry in cold water and line-drying.

Something out of the ordinary for me: I've started crocheting Christmas tree ornaments for this year's gifts.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #4816 on: November 07, 2015, 07:12:43 PM »
I want to get back in the habit of posting in here!

Made a giant batch of lentil curry in the crockpot along with some rice.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4817 on: November 07, 2015, 11:59:34 PM »
I want to get back in the habit of posting in here!

+1

*My daughter and I made 3 pies for my sons birthday - cherry, apple & lemon meringue.

*Husband took son and friend to a sporting event for his gift. They walked 15 minutes to be able to park for free.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4818 on: November 08, 2015, 03:34:03 AM »
Used my misto instead of using the more convenient (but expensive - both financially and environmentally) aerosol oil spray.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4819 on: November 08, 2015, 04:14:29 AM »

Something out of the ordinary for me: I've started crocheting Christmas tree ornaments for this year's gifts.

I'm doing a lot of homemade stuff for Christmas this year. I love looking on Pinterest.:)

moneyandmillennials

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money and Millennials: An Illustrated Advice Book
« Reply #4820 on: November 08, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »
wearing my slippers down to the ground. 

my slippers (island slippers) have a foam upper and a hard plastic bottom.  Parts of my slipper have worn down to the hard plastic part.
Practical and fun gift for yourself and others!
Time to build a solid financial foundation!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/1515334996

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4821 on: November 08, 2015, 03:05:34 PM »
Needed a couple of dresses for my corporate wardrobe. Bought them on eBay for about $15 each instead of $60-$90 in shops.

Visited friends last night with a DVD they wanted to watch - I borrowed it from my parents to save the hire cost.

Packed leftovers for lunch today.

My husband is away all week with work so our grocery budget will be very small with just cereal for breakfast, chicken and salad for lunch and omelettes for dinner for me.

10dollarsatatime

• Bristles
« Reply #4822 on: November 08, 2015, 05:04:26 PM »
Canning!  Working on 15 pints of Cajun beans that turned out really good.  Once these are done, I'll work on Portuguese bean soup.  Lots of work today, but it will save me lots of money in the future if I've got premade meals that just need to be heated. 

*Bonus - all the fresh ingredients came from my garden.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4823 on: November 08, 2015, 05:25:04 PM »
* Brought home some leftover tortillas from last night's date night. Currently crisping them in the oven to go with some salsa we were gifted.

* Planted out garlic this afternoon and found some leftover sunchokes in the bed. Currently cooking them up for dinner.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:50:53 PM by jengod »
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #4824 on: November 08, 2015, 06:28:58 PM »
No spend day an stayed home all day.  Ate leftovers for breakfast and then worked on the veggie garden so it will be ready to plant in the spring.  Found some onions that escaped harvest earlier and cooked them with dinner.  Stuck some green onions in a jar of water to re grow them. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4825 on: November 08, 2015, 07:12:58 PM »
This one will eventually save me $300/year.

My husband plans to sell his motorbike and buy a different one in February. Over the weekend he got an online quote for insurance on the new bike.

The new policy will save us about $25 per month compared with what we're paying now, just because he will be that little bit older and it will be more than five years since a traffic infringement.

The saving x dollars per year conversation is where he really starts to get on board with this financial lifestyle. Previously he wouldn't see the point in $25/month. But $300/year? That almost covers his new track helmet ($600 down to $400, work expense, tax deductible).

indentured4now

• Stubble
« Reply #4826 on: November 08, 2015, 09:23:23 PM »
Stayed home and worked in the yard blowing leaves to save money.    Leaf season keeps me out of trouble.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4827 on: November 08, 2015, 09:59:13 PM »
Came home from church with the family and had leftovers even though I reeeeeally wanted to pick up burgers and fries in the drive thru.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4828 on: November 08, 2015, 11:27:16 PM »
I was all set to go to the post office today to post a 30th birthday card for a friend working in England. He has decided to come home so I put a local stamp on it and sent it to his parents' house instead. Saved a few bucks on airmail.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4829 on: November 09, 2015, 09:49:32 AM »
Used my misto instead of using the more convenient (but expensive - both financially and environmentally) aerosol oil spray.
I LOVE my misto!  I stopped buying the spray cans because I prefer my misto. 

I've been under the weather, so I didn't get my usual batch cooking for the week finished.  However, I made a quick batch of cornbread (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/09/everyday-cornbread/), which I will eat with canned soup for lunch today.  I will also have cornbread and soup for dinner tonight. 

For the rest of the year, my budget is really tight because I'm working on the post-tax portion of my megabackdoor Roth (http://www.madfientist.com/after-tax-contributions/), which includes paying a lot more in taxes each month.  I need all of the motivation I can get to keep from spending unnecessarily.

I've run out of my favorite tea, but I have a lot of tea from gifts.  This morning I brewed a pot of tea from the gifted tea leaves, and it's great.  No tea purchases until I run out.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #4830 on: November 09, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
Today I bought 3 pairs of tights online. Sounds like a facepunch, except I waited until they went down in price to $10 each and applied a promo code that took $15 off my order. The promo code did not work originally and instead of just giving up and buying them at the higher price, I called customer service and am getting them to apply the code. They were $23 to $27 originally so I ended up saving over $60!

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4831 on: November 09, 2015, 10:31:23 AM »
I had to get up early today to haul the kids over to their mother's (handoff delayed because she was out of town) and it was cold out (well, compared to the lovely weather of the last week). I also was on clinical service this morning, which makes life super crazy on normal days. 
1)  I still ate breakfast and made coffee at home instead of grabbing things at work.
2)  I brought my leftovers for lunch instead of saying 'fuck it' and buying lunch at work.
3)  I biked to work for day #15 instead of taking mass transit or my car into work. 

Long term goals:  Stay fit, NW0 by 40, and FI by 50.  Required SR:  65%.  SR goal for monthly income: 50% (Extra paychecks and other compensation makes up the other 15%).

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4832 on: November 09, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »
I had to get up early today to haul the kids over to their mother's (handoff delayed because she was out of town) and it was cold out (well, compared to the lovely weather of the last week). I also was on clinical service this morning, which makes life super crazy on normal days. 
1)  I still ate breakfast and made coffee at home instead of grabbing things at work.
2)  I brought my leftovers for lunch instead of saying 'fuck it' and buying lunch at work.
3)  I biked to work for day #15 instead of taking mass transit or my car into work.

Nice!  I'm finding that getting little stuff like that right is both the hardest and the most powerful in my own life.
Frugalite in training.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4833 on: November 09, 2015, 10:50:12 AM »
DH went and bought the filter and oil to change the oil on our car. Coming from a family that always outsourced this, I still think it is SO COOL that you can do that yourself. Bonus: since we have a truck, we don't need jacks or ramps or anything to get under the car.

Submitted the paperwork to get my gas bonus for a contract that was out of town. I only found out there was a different process for it because I inspected my paystub and saw the numbers didn't work to include it. For all you Harry Potter fans: CONSTANT VIGILANCE

DH and I found an AWESOME recipe to use the freezerburnt chickens we're working through. We shredded the meat once cooked, and had it on sandwiches with homemade chipotle mayo and shredded cheese, then grilled on the BBQ. (Bonus: the walnut oil we made the mayo with was a stock-up when it was on super sale, and the chipotle powder was out of a spice box we got for our wedding). Now just 12 more whole freezerburnt frozen chickens to go!
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4834 on: November 09, 2015, 11:26:26 AM »
Nice!  I'm finding that getting little stuff like that right is both the hardest and the most powerful in my own life.

Yep!  If I start to let things slip on the difficult days, then I let them slip on the medium difficulty days, and then it is back to my bad habits.  I consider today a victory! :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4835 on: November 09, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »
Yesterday the girlfriend and I cooked up a delicious batch of butternut squash risotto (resisting the urge to buy the squash pre-cut was also a win! A quadruple win is having a girlfriend who keeps great kitchenware and sharp knives on hand.) and divvied up the leftovers for our respective lunches. \o/

I also resisted the urge to stress-buy sweets.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4836 on: November 09, 2015, 04:17:08 PM »
Here's a to a community that applauds ongoing effort as "constant vigilance" and not what other people call it ... nagging. :)

Our constant vigilance is paying off in the form of a $130 phone subsidy from work. Currently a one-off, but he will have a few uncomfortable conversations to see about getting a $60-$70 month subsidy.

A friend in the same industry has advised my husband and I to cancel our union membership, as it has become a toothless tiger. I'm torn on this one. It costs us about $115/month and we have never directly benefited from that, but the union has been involved in massive layoffs at my husband's large company. I work for a smaller company with no HR to speak of. And the industry is unstable and in decline. But I also know that we are working towards being financially stable independent of all those factors, and an $1400 a year will help us do that...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4837 on: November 09, 2015, 04:47:15 PM »
Here's a to a community that applauds ongoing effort as "constant vigilance" and not what other people call it ... nagging. :)

Thumbs up to that!

Saving money: used the chickpeas I had cooked to make a giant quadruple batch of spicy hummus. Using up the last of our tahini, and won't be buying more after this. I've found that if I make the hummus with peppers, I don't notice the lack of tahini at all. It may be ever so slightly less smooth, but nothing major.

Now to convince myself to make real food tonight (need to use the veggies I bought for the curry), and not just eat spicy hummus with popcorn.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4838 on: November 09, 2015, 05:06:00 PM »
I skipped grocery shopping the past two weekends.  I am out of some of my essentials and down to the dregs of quite a few things, but I think I can make it through the week.  I'm stuck eating things I'm not excited about and I don't have easy lunch options but I was getting too lazy and wasting too much food.  I'll be just fine even if I have to eat cold rice and beans a day or two. 

I'm hoping basics will be on sale for Thanksgiving by the time I make it back to the grocery. 

Tigerpine

• Stubble
« Reply #4839 on: November 09, 2015, 06:14:35 PM »
Some patience is finally paying off.

I have wanted a work chair for home for months now.  You know, the kind you buy at Office Depot for $100 or so.  I just couldn't bear to part with that kind of cash for that, so I've been waiting, silently biding my time.  Today I was able to bring one home from work for free!  All I had to do was put it aside before it went to the dumpster and ask the right guy to sign the release form.  I feel like a king in my new (to me) chair!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4840 on: November 09, 2015, 06:19:32 PM »

I have wanted a work chair for home for months now.  You know, the kind you buy at Office Depot for $100 or so.  I just couldn't bear to part with that kind of cash for that, so I've been waiting, silently biding my time.  Today I was able to bring one home from work for free!  All I had to do was put it aside before it went to the dumpster and ask the right guy to sign the release form.  I feel like a king in my new (to me) chair!
Ooooh! Great find! You waited for the right opportunity to present itself, and pounced on it! A+ work. :)

WorkingToUnwind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4841 on: November 09, 2015, 06:48:47 PM »
Rode my bike to work. Brought leftovers for lunch. Returned stuff to Home Depot from a home improvement project we decided wasn't necessary.
"You must do the thing you think you cannot do."

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-me-please!/

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4842 on: November 09, 2015, 07:10:08 PM »
Brought leftovers for lunch today only to be asked to attend an event that included a free lunch.

Half an hour of my time in exchange for tasty wraps, and my leftovers live to nourish another day,

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #4843 on: November 09, 2015, 07:17:05 PM »

Well done! And you saved it from going to landfill, plus avoided the inherent environmental impact of buying a new chair!

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4844 on: November 09, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »
I skipped grocery shopping the past two weekends.  I am out of some of my essentials and down to the dregs of quite a few things, but I think I can make it through the week.  I'm stuck eating things I'm not excited about and I don't have easy lunch options but I was getting too lazy and wasting too much food.  I'll be just fine even if I have to eat cold rice and beans a day or two. 

I'm hoping basics will be on sale for Thanksgiving by the time I make it back to the grocery.

I am in this exact situation - things are running low of the "well loved" food in our house and I felt the need to do a Costco run.  But I don't want to spend the money right now, so we're working our way through the "second tier" food we have.  I'm actually quite please - we are saving money and being more efficient with regard to our previous food purchases.  Man, before MMM this type of thinking would never have even occurred to me!
Frugalite in training.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4845 on: November 09, 2015, 08:43:32 PM »
Really wanted pizza last night. Ate leftovers instead.

Kwill

• Bristles
« Reply #4846 on: November 10, 2015, 05:07:02 AM »
I got my roommate to drive me to the airport for a flight too early for public transportation. Taking a taxi would have been about $50, and parking at the airport for a week would have been $140 in "economy" parking. I also brought an empty water bottle and filled it at a water fountain once I got through security.

aetherie

• Bristles
« Reply #4847 on: November 10, 2015, 08:22:25 AM »
I won $50 in a sweepstakes and I biked to work even though it was raining.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4848 on: November 10, 2015, 08:28:58 AM »
Made a big batch of cabbage rice and bean... soup? slop?
It's somewhat Newtonian and neither a liquid nor a solid, but damn if it isn't filling and cheap. ;)
It will be my lunch for the entire week.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4849 on: November 10, 2015, 09:33:13 AM »
I got a great night's sleep. Bear with me. I have found my impulse control is MUCH BETTER when I've slept well. I'm more productive, cook more, and generally happier, so I spend less money when I'm well rested.

A little esoteric, but hey, I think it counts!