Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1563312 times)

marcela

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4700 on: October 26, 2015, 10:06:23 AM »
I bought my MIL's x-mas/birthday gift (haven't decided which one) using an Anthroplogie gift card from a x-mas gift I returned last year. The gift card had been languishing for over a year as their clothing does not appeal to me in either fit nor style.
Saved me around $35 that would have been spent on her gift and timing it to coincide with a free shipping event means I still have another $25 on the card for future gifting.

saving_dutchman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4701 on: October 26, 2015, 10:25:12 AM »
I took the train at 6:20 in the morning. You receive a 40% discount when you start your journey outside of the usual commuting times (6:30 - 9:00). You no longer receive this discount if you start traveling after 6:30. It saved me €4 :).

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4702 on: October 26, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »
I used a store credit at Target to reduce the out-of-pocket cost of a kid's birthday present.

I reused a gift bag I saved from my kid's last birthday party rather than buying one new.

We happened to arrive at Target as they were running a trick-or-treat circuit for the kids. We got 6 free protein bars and some entertaining junk for the kids.

I cleaned out our big car and took a couple of photos in anticipation of selling it and becoming a voluntary one-car family. Eek!
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4703 on: October 26, 2015, 01:09:51 PM »
I hate to suggest this, since home-made bread and pies are both frugal and delicious, but gluten?

Zaga & 1967mama: my DS is off diary since 3-4 weeks, I think his acne has improved,  is not a dramatic improvement but is better. We don't eat soy (usually). Just a lot of meat, vegs, home made bread, and home made pies :)...

I was going to say the same -- or if not gluten specifically, wheat in general for whatever other unknown reason. For me, my skin does fine with dairy, but you can literally see on my face if I've been eating wheat (bread, pasta, etc).
My skin problem is traceable to sugar.  Too many sweets and my skin gets unhappy.

Today: I packed my lunch with leftovers from dinner.  I also packed my breakfast, a snack for later, and made tea at work. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4704 on: October 26, 2015, 04:31:52 PM »

I reused a gift bag I saved from my kid's last birthday party rather than buying one new.

I cleaned out our big car and took a couple of photos in anticipation of selling it and becoming a voluntary one-car family. Eek!

One of my favourite tricks. For my birthday this year I picked my own bag out of the stash at home for my husband to use for my gifts. It was perfect, saved a tree, and a few dollars.

At my birthday dinner one of my friends gave me a gift in the cute paper bag from the store. She said 'sorry about the bag' with a big grin when she gave it to me, knowing I wouldn't mind in the least. :)

(Then I saved the bag at home. I'll use it for something.)

Thank you to whoever yesterday mentioned cutting open the toothpaste tube. I did that this morning and I think it will last me the rest of the week. (I have spare tubes, purchased on sale, in the cupboard but that's not the point.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #4705 on: October 26, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »
Sold a horse today!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4706 on: October 26, 2015, 10:28:19 PM »
Sold a horse today!

* Friend Barbara brought dried out baguettes and broccoli stems for my chickens. Those hens eat well! We are in egg debt right now, but I need to collect a half-dozen for her after we send more to my husband's work friend Max who gives him a ride home sometimes.

* Started my own batch of vinegar using a recipe from Erica's book. Between The Hands-On Home and a recent read-through of Bake the Bread, Buy the Butter, I have begun to suspect the entire supermarket is optional. It's freakin' me out, man.

* Marveled for the zillionth time about being able to check out ebooks through the library. Instant gratification and FREEEEEE to boot. Amazeballs.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4707 on: October 26, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »
I have begun to suspect the entire supermarket is optional. It's freakin' me out, man.

^^^ The best thing I've read all day.

Another entry for me: I'd been thinking about buying my husband a third pair of shorts for summer (positively indulgent!) He needed a couple of nice tailored pairs that can be worn when he's out for a casual lunch, etc, while travelling overseas for work.

Even at Target (Australia) the style I'm thinking are $40 a pair.

Just found the Target pair on eBay for $7 plus $7 postage. No bids so if I bid with five seconds to go I should get them for $14 all up. Much more palatable.

Also made $10 on eBay from two books. People paying to take away unwanted stuff? Win!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4708 on: October 27, 2015, 12:11:16 AM »
Found an abandoned skateboard for my son! I walked by it 4x between 11 am and 4 pm so I claimed it :-)

MinimalistMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4709 on: October 27, 2015, 12:39:40 AM »
This is for a friend, but she is getting married soon, and loved a veil at the Anthropologie bridal salon that was way out of her budget, so I made one for her over the weekend, with materials she supplied. It is one layer of soft net, floor length, edged from fingertip to fingertip around the bottom with Alencon lace. I've been sewing for years, but this was the first time I had worked with tulle and lace. I was pleased it came out well.

This is the one I copied, though the lace is deeper on hers:

http://www.bhldn.com/product/curving-periphery-veil

That is so beautiful, as is sharing your gift in crafting this for your friend. A friendship to treasure!

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #4710 on: October 27, 2015, 08:30:39 AM »
This is for a friend, but she is getting married soon, and loved a veil at the Anthropologie bridal salon that was way out of her budget, so I made one for her over the weekend, with materials she supplied. It is one layer of soft net, floor length, edged from fingertip to fingertip around the bottom with Alencon lace. I've been sewing for years, but this was the first time I had worked with tulle and lace. I was pleased it came out well.

This is the one I copied, though the lace is deeper on hers:

http://www.bhldn.com/product/curving-periphery-veil

That is so beautiful, as is sharing your gift in crafting this for your friend. A friendship to treasure!

Thanks. This is a fairly dorky picture of me modeling it.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4711 on: October 27, 2015, 12:50:18 PM »
The veil is BEAUTIFUL!

You could sell those on Etsy as a side hustle!

Lovely work!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4712 on: October 27, 2015, 01:05:05 PM »
Today I made a double batch of buns (20 cups of flour). Some will be eaten fresh today and the rest will be frozen in large ziplock bags for future meals. I love having "emergency bread" in the freezer - saves me from rushing out to the store and paying too much $$$ for inferior tasting bread. It smells delicious in here:-)

Kwill

• Bristles
« Reply #4713 on: October 27, 2015, 01:16:15 PM »
I put a cat toy in the door. We have a regular front door and then a second door that helps keep out the cold but that has a hole where the doorknob used to be. I put a little ball in the doorknob hole. It's an exact fit, so I think it will keep some of our heat from escaping if I can convince the housemates to consistently close the inner door after themselves.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4714 on: October 27, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
* Picked up a gift bottle of wine for a friend using a $2 rebate.
* Finished packing up a final (for the foreseeable future) bag for ThredUp. 16 more items out the door, which brings my total for the year of clothing items gone to sale past 200, and the total gone in general (sale + Goodwill) to something upwards of 400. *facepalm* I just can't even.
ETA later: * Sewed a couple of buttons back onto a pair of shorts and a blouse. Attempted to sew a rogue underwire back into a bra, too, but alas, don't have sturdy enough needles (or fingers) for the purpose.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:41:40 PM by ShaneD »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4715 on: October 27, 2015, 05:43:07 PM »
I wanted to store all our umbrellas in my side of the wardrobe.

The big golf umbrella is propped up at the back and my umbrella has a hook so it fit neatly on the rail, but we had a third umbrella with a plain handle and a small wrist strap.

I thought about buying an S hook to hang off the rail.

Instead, I got the metal fastener (random example here: http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/dk4_photos/media/dj-purple-tag.jpg.html) from one of my husband's old frequent flyer tags, fastened it on the rail, bent open a paperclip, hooked one end on the metal fastener and hooked the umbrella wrist strap on the other.

Seriously, I'm practically MacGyver. :)

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4716 on: October 27, 2015, 07:33:31 PM »
I got 11 gallons of gas (almost a full tank -- I think my car's tank holds 12 gallons) for just $1.89 a gallon!  I don't think I've gotten gas for that price since the '90s.  I was expecting to pay 1.99/gallon, using my Fred Meyer Rewards card points for a .10 discount, but when I swiped at the pump it let me combine some of the points I have earned in October with my September points for a .20 discount.  SCORE!  I was especially happy because I had almost just gotten gas at Costco, since I was there anyway, but decided to hit the QFC pump for a few cents cheaper since it was on the way home anyway.

I have also been taking advantage of the Fred Meyer survey tool to get an extra 50 gas points with each weekly shop.  That adds up to at least .20/gallon discount per month, plus whatever I earn from buying groceries. 

Returned some walnuts that had gone rancid and some pine nuts I never used to Costco.  $37.98 refund.  Which almost covered the groceries I picked up today ($40.95). 

I'll stock up on a few more things that are on sale this week at Fred Meyer at the end of the week, but should come in at under $300 for groceries this month.  Yay!  I think I've hit a good balance with the grocery shopping.  Economizing where I can but still getting plenty of stuff that we really like. 
Wherever you go, there you are

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #4717 on: October 27, 2015, 08:06:37 PM »
Felt too queasy to go out for lunch so lunch was very cheap basmati rice, steamed zucchini plus grated Aldi cheese (low fat). Pretty cheap lunch and compatible with queasiness.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4718 on: October 28, 2015, 04:58:35 AM »
cannot go out and physically try on a multitude of winter coats yet, it's too much. I needed a heavy fleece and coat, I am not easy to fit .  Ordered one from LE on sale, 1 from Kohl's sale and Macy's sale.  Macy's the nicest, they were all about $80.  Macy one went down in price today, they credited me $10. I have never bought a winter coat in season, always in spring on super clearance. So 70 felt like a lot, but it's very nice and I need one.  Found heavy fleece at Sierra, $ 20 from $90, very nice, nicer than the one it is replacing until I lose wt.

Winter done for $90 while shopping in season and did not have to leave my house.  I can live with that. And lesson learned, the $16 fleece on Deal Genius that looks unisex even though they say it's not, is unisex and this is not the place to buy a winter coat. But free to ship back, yay!

mary w

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4719 on: October 28, 2015, 11:50:18 AM »
Not exactly saving money...

It's  health insurance open season and my current carrier sent me a glossy brochure to convince me to stay with them.    I noticed that one of the benefits is getting $50 Visa reward card for taking an on-line health assessment and another $25 for completing an on-line health lifestyle class.  I did the assessment this morning and will take the class this afternoon.  Even better you can get the bonus once a year so I've set a reminder for January.  I need to talk DH into doing it also so we'll get $150 total.

$150 in Visa gift cards should pretty much take care of Christmas.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4720 on: October 28, 2015, 04:48:48 PM »
Not exactly saving money...

It's  health insurance open season and my current carrier sent me a glossy brochure to convince me to stay with them.    I noticed that one of the benefits is getting $50 Visa reward card for taking an on-line health assessment and another $25 for completing an on-line health lifestyle class.  I did the assessment this morning and will take the class this afternoon.  Even better you can get the bonus once a year so I've set a reminder for January.  I need to talk DH into doing it also so we'll get $150 total.

$150 in Visa gift cards should pretty much take care of Christmas.

That's excellent!

I called my health insurance provider last night to ask about switching to a cheaper policy. We can afford it, but it's $290 a month and we rarely use it.

He looked at all the lower policies, which offer less coverage than we have, and they were all more expensive than our current policy. And this year we've paid $66/month (of the $290/month) in extras coverage, which is about $800, and they've paid out $847 so we are just ahead.

I was a bit annoyed because I'm used to being able to negotiate these things, but my mum pointed out we're obviously not wasting money on it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4721 on: October 28, 2015, 04:55:39 PM »
Gave in and installed iOS 9.1 on my iPhone 5 last night. Phone had been on its last legs as more and more things refused to work on old OS. Limited memory is slightly inconvenient but it looks like I will be able to limp it along for a while longer.

It's currently costing me $0 (on a $30 plan and get a $30 phone subsidy from work) so I'm keen to make it last as long as I can.

frugalconfederate

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4722 on: October 28, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »
I stopped at the bread thrift store for a loaf of bread that I like.  It is 3.29 at the grocery and I can get it at the thrift store for $1.09.  I was pleasantly surprised that they were having BOGO sale, so I got two loafs for $1.09.  Then they had packages of hoagie rolls  3 for a dollar.  It will make great garlic bread.  So I got two loaves of whole wheat bread and three bags of hoagie rolls for $2.09.  Nice.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #4723 on: October 28, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
Gave in and installed iOS 9.1 on my iPhone 5 last night. Phone had been on its last legs as more and more things refused to work on old OS. Limited memory is slightly inconvenient but it looks like I will be able to limp it along for a while longer.

It's currently costing me $0 (on a $30 plan and get a $30 phone subsidy from work) so I'm keen to make it last as long as I can.

Awesome. Can I ask what OS you upgraded from? I'm limping along with my 4S and things seemed to improved when I finally upgraded to OS8* (whatever the latest version of OS8 was before OS9 came out). It really helped with random crashes and it may have slightly improved the battery life. If your phone improved from OS8 to OS9.1 then I may force myself to go through another update to see if that helps eke out my 4S for longer. (I was all keen to get a 6 last month but then costed it out with my telecom provider of choice and yeah, the cost is making me think more about keeping my 4S going a bit longer)

* I am the opposite of an early adopter. It's a combination of procrastination plus not caring enough to upgrade before I absolutely have to.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4724 on: October 28, 2015, 10:33:45 PM »
Used the magic power of YouTube tutorials to extract corroded batteries from a Mag-lite, saving $30 versus throwing it away and buying a replacement.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4725 on: October 28, 2015, 11:03:58 PM »

Awesome. Can I ask what OS you upgraded from? I'm limping along with my 4S and things seemed to improved when I finally upgraded to OS8* (whatever the latest version of OS8 was before OS9 came out). It really helped with random crashes and it may have slightly improved the battery life. If your phone improved from OS8 to OS9.1 then I may force myself to go through another update to see if that helps eke out my 4S for longer. (I was all keen to get a 6 last month but then costed it out with my telecom provider of choice and yeah, the cost is making me think more about keeping my 4S going a bit longer)

* I am the opposite of an early adopter. It's a combination of procrastination plus not caring enough to upgrade before I absolutely have to.

I was still on iOS 7-something, so it was a big jump.

I did the same thing, priced a 6 (not 6s or 6+) and it's at least $70/month.

My husband has a 6+ on an $80 plan but over the past 15 months his phone bill has averaged $186 (either blown data, bought data packs for travelling overseas, or both) so I'm looking at moving him on the $135 plan. That would increase our set expenses but we should save money in the long run.

It is essential for his work (writing, taking photos, shooting video, recording voice-overs, mapping, internet, etc) so it's all tax deductible, but I do try to make it as cost effective as possible.

If I put him on the $135 plan it comes with 20GB data, so I did work out I could go on a 500mb plan and share his data through Optus. A small saving.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #4726 on: October 29, 2015, 02:58:01 AM »

I was still on iOS 7-something, so it was a big jump.

I did the same thing, priced a 6 (not 6s or 6+) and it's at least $70/month.

My husband has a 6+ on an $80 plan but over the past 15 months his phone bill has averaged $186 (either blown data, bought data packs for travelling overseas, or both) so I'm looking at moving him on the $135 plan. That would increase our set expenses but we should save money in the long run.

It is essential for his work (writing, taking photos, shooting video, recording voice-overs, mapping, internet, etc) so it's all tax deductible, but I do try to make it as cost effective as possible.

If I put him on the $135 plan it comes with 20GB data, so I did work out I could go on a 500mb plan and share his data through Optus. A small saving.

Thanks for your response! I prefer Telstra for reliability and coverage but their plans are pretty shitty. (I don't know if other providers have upped their game in recent months, but I'm not game to have less coverage or less capacity at certain times of the day - being able to phone DH, friends or medical team for assistance anywhere, anytime is crucial for me) I'm looking at $99/month for 2.5G for a 6 with Telstra. Which feels like too much, even though my phone is integral to my life and adds a lot of value, including managing anxiety.

Easye418

• Bristles
« Reply #4727 on: October 29, 2015, 08:05:45 AM »
To be vague for confidentiality reasons, I was selected as a beta tester for an energy saving product. 

I will end up saving on energy, getting paid (Probably $150-$200 Amazon bucks), and I get to keep a new product for posting feedback daily (simple).
You either cut expenses, raise income, or both.  Simple as that.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4728 on: October 29, 2015, 11:55:04 PM »
Combined online sales with a rewards program to save $60 and score 1000 Frequent Flyer points on Christmas shopping. 

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #4729 on: October 30, 2015, 12:33:10 AM »
Picked up a free 2016 calendar from a local business. It's exactly the type I like with attractive-enough pictures to hang up the calendar in its usual spot near the kitchen, and minimal advertising. I'm a bit of a Luddite with tracking appts, invitations etc so everything goes on the calendar. Otherwise we forget. Electronic scheduling only works for me at work for some reason.

Anyway, saved somewhere between $2 and $20 on a calendar for next year.

Combined online sales with a rewards program to save $60 and score 1000 Frequent Flyer points on Christmas shopping.

Forgot to say, love your username. (except often I read it as mustache pung oes here)

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4730 on: October 30, 2015, 06:04:47 AM »
I just finished my set of credit card applications for the quarter.  Spend $x, get $x as an account credit.  So I'll get $500 for my normal spending, then I'll freeze all of the cards. 

$500 straight towards principal, yay!
“Except when awesome is just awesome, because sometimes it is.” - Scrubby

Journal = My life is an exploding volcano of awesomeness

Long term goals:  Stay fit, NW0 by 40, and FI by 50.  Required SR:  65%.  SR goal for monthly income: 50% (Extra paychecks and other compensation makes up the other 15%).

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4731 on: October 30, 2015, 09:35:20 AM »
Started a pot of dried posole in the slow cooker.  In a few hours I will add a pint of carne adovada from a big batch I made and froze a few months ago.  Currently eating cabbage cooked in leftover Chinese Pork broth for breakfast.  We are eating a lot of cabbage right now due to it being $0.29/lb. locally.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #4732 on: October 31, 2015, 10:38:22 AM »
Assembled Halloween costume out of items/clothing already around the house.  I'm a Minion :)

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4733 on: October 31, 2015, 11:41:58 AM »
We were out at a community thing where they were selling pizza, water & juice boxes.  Coffee was free.

My LO was thirsty.  I was scrambling to find $1 for the bottled water.  5y old little one pointed to the coffee cups and said "I don't need a bottle, there are cups and the tap and it's free."

Super proud!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4734 on: October 31, 2015, 03:58:36 PM »
Got my flu shot at CVS. Insurance paid, and I received a 20 percent off coupon towards a future purchase.

10dollarsatatime

• Bristles
« Reply #4735 on: October 31, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »
Installed a new wifi thermostat today...
*Got the thermostat from a liquidation store for 40% off
*A simple programmable thermostat wouldn't necessarily work for me, since my schedule is different from day to day and from week to week, so now I will have better control over the house.  I expect my bill to drop a fair amount.  It will be fun to compare to last year.
*Connected my own "c" wire, which involved climbing into the attic and deciphering the furnace manual so I could figure out where to hook it up.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4736 on: November 01, 2015, 01:34:22 AM »
Took a thermos of coffee with us when we went out today.  Shopped at Grocery Outlet.  Came home and practiced on my free piano and ate baked potatoes, $0.14/lb. at this time of the year and sour cream topping made with 3/$1.00 ranch dip mix. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:37:01 AM by 2ndTimer »

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #4737 on: November 01, 2015, 05:49:07 AM »
Took home potato peelings from dinner at a friend's house tonight. We will roast them in the oven with some salt & oil. Yum! Saves a bit of food waste going to the compost heap.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4738 on: November 01, 2015, 08:52:36 AM »
Took home potato peelings from dinner at a friend's house tonight. We will roast them in the oven with some salt & oil. Yum! Saves a bit of food waste going to the compost heap.

I've done this! (the roasting the peels part, not taking from a friend's house part)

It's delicious. I usually cook with the peels on, but for certain recipes I peel the potato. I don't like throwing it away so I make some roasted potato skins that are like having potato chips. You can do the same with squash, sweet potato, other peels.

I'll be eyeing skins at friends houses now that you've given the suggestion. ;-)

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
  • The ghost in the corner
« Reply #4739 on: November 01, 2015, 09:35:24 AM »

I've done this! (the roasting the peels part, not taking from a friend's house part)

It's delicious. I usually cook with the peels on, but for certain recipes I peel the potato. I don't like throwing it away so I make some roasted potato skins that are like having potato chips. You can do the same with squash, sweet potato, other peels.

I'll be eyeing skins at friends houses now that you've given the suggestion. ;-)

Why have I never thought of this?  My family doesn't like skins in their mashed potatoes, so I have been pitching the peels in the composter.  I will be roasting them from now on.  Thanks!

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #4740 on: November 01, 2015, 02:34:51 PM »

Recipe?  This sounds good and I waste a lot of skins since one of my kids won't eat mashed with skins and discards them from baked or boiled too.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4741 on: November 01, 2015, 02:52:50 PM »
You can also make a delicious treat out of apple peels when you're making apple sauce. Wash your apples before you start, then keep the cores and bad bits separate from tasty looking skins. Butter a cookie sheet, toss the peels with cinnamon sugar. Bake at 350 till a bit dried out. Sweet treat with something you were going to throw out.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #4742 on: November 01, 2015, 02:58:17 PM »
Wow! So much love for potato skin crisps. :)

It was easy to ask for the potato skins because a) they're very good friends and they know I don't like to waste stuff and b) DH was on potato peeling duty so he asked if he could keep them and then just peeled them into a clean plastic bag to bring home with us.

Recipe?  This sounds good and I waste a lot of skins since one of my kids won't eat mashed with skins and discards them from baked or boiled too.

We don't have a recipe as such but I asked DH what he did last time he cooked them (I haven't cooked them for a while).

Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius (we think this is the temperature - our oven is old and we've never checked the temperature is what it says it is).

Coat the potato skins with vegetable oil. We use canola oil - olive oil doesn't work so well for this. Lay flat on an oven tray as a single layer (we put down a silicone sheet on the oven tray but you could use baking paper instead). Sprinkle with a bit of salt.

Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes (maybe longer?). But you need to keep a close eye on them because they can burn pretty quickly. They're done when they start to brown and look crisp.

Edit: according to google, 200C = 390F.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 03:03:35 PM by Astatine »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4743 on: November 01, 2015, 04:14:15 PM »
Picked up a free 2016 calendar from a local business. It's exactly the type I like with attractive-enough pictures to hang up the calendar in its usual spot near the kitchen, and minimal advertising. I'm a bit of a Luddite with tracking appts, invitations etc so everything goes on the calendar. Otherwise we forget. Electronic scheduling only works for me at work for some reason.

Forgot to say, love your username. (except often I read it as mustache pung oes here)

Good work on the calendar. Last year my mother-in-law bought her 2015 calendar from an art gallery in Paris only to get it home and discover it didn't have boxes for writing. She got a freebie business calendar, cut off the pages and stapled them month by month to the art calendar. It sort of ruined the effect of the beautiful calendar but was effective. :D

Aaaaand now I can't unsee pung... :D

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4744 on: November 01, 2015, 04:25:52 PM »
I've continued to buy medication, toiletries, and some household items (dishwasher tablets), etc from an online discount chemist.

They offer free delivery for orders over $99 so a couple of times a year my mum gives me her list, I order it with my stuff and have it all sent to her house, she is happy to store my spare boxes of soap and bottles of shampoo, etc, in my childhood bedroom, I just pick up what I need when we visit, and we both save a heap of money.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #4745 on: November 01, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »
Made sriracha from scratch, canned tomato jam, and am just finishing up processing about 50# of homegrown sweet potatoes.  7 quarts canned, a bunch blanched and frozen as steak fries, more as has browns, and the last random bits will be dried for dog treats (I think I read that tip right here on this forum).  Also drying peppers to make into chile powder and filled jars with some herbs that have been drying on the windowsill.

Wasting no time selling off gear that fit the horse I just sold, since my new horse is way bigger and thus fits in my old guy's stuff for the most part.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #4746 on: November 01, 2015, 04:37:38 PM »

Good work on the calendar. Last year my mother-in-law bought her 2015 calendar from an art gallery in Paris only to get it home and discover it didn't have boxes for writing. She got a freebie business calendar, cut off the pages and stapled them month by month to the art calendar. It sort of ruined the effect of the beautiful calendar but was effective. :D

Luckily the business calendars were unwrapped so we could check the size of the boxes for writing in appts and parties and such. Your MIL was very creative in solving her problem.

And... my work here is done.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4747 on: November 01, 2015, 04:51:38 PM »

Until today, I thought it was pronounced like pung - go - share :-o  Doh!

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #4748 on: November 01, 2015, 04:53:53 PM »

Until today, I thought it was pronounced like pung - go - share :-o  Doh!

Me too, until one time I thought, that doesn't make sense and made myself read it slowly to see what I was missing.

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #4749 on: November 01, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »
I cut my own hair using instructions from the Internet. So far, two people at work have complimented me on my new haircut.