Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2284692 times)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4550 on: October 04, 2015, 04:06:12 PM »
Took a Martha White Thin Crust Pizza mix (75 cents at Walmart), and added caramelized onions, chopped ham, a mix of cheeses and made what I am calling Alsatian Tart for dinner. DH and I were inspired by the delicious but pricey Tarte d'Alsace from Trader Joe's.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4551 on: October 04, 2015, 07:42:43 PM »
I did the military showers when I was losing weight, but that was one of the first things I ditched when I got down to my ideal weight and switched to maintenance mode. That and the whole "cold shower" thing in general felt brutal to me.

Anyway, today: biked 19 more miles to pick up some free from craigslist rice milk to use in my lunch smoothies. Filled my panniers with recycling, since the route took me near a free recycle drop off center (we don't pay the fee for curbside pickup).

Ate a pear from a tree I biked past, so good! Found 5 more bottles (50 cents) during my ride. Got a couple more free pumpkins at kmart. The pumpkin situation here is out of control.

Eirene

• Bristles
« Reply #4552 on: October 04, 2015, 08:31:57 PM »
Cut my own hair for the first time ever :)

I have shoulder-length layered hair. Today was step 1 - just cut my bangs and the layers at the front, using the twist method (after watching A LOT of youtube videos yesterday). It turned out rather well although I think I might take off another half a centimetre or so off the bangs in a few days.

Next step: cut the back using the ponytail method, wish me luck.

Key point - I bought a pair of proper hairdresser shears on amazon. At $15 they've already paid for themselves as my hairdresser charges $28 for a haircut.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4553 on: October 04, 2015, 09:31:58 PM »
Resisted the urge to buy a non-fiction book today that I really, really, REALLY wanted. I'm the 10th hold on 6 copies. Read up on the website to learn as much as I could before the book comes.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #4554 on: October 05, 2015, 05:42:03 AM »
really started trying this MMM stuff this weekend.
Worked saturday, but got free breakfast so not all bad.
celebrated 1 year home-ownership by cleaning the garage/shop
spent yesterday cleaning out the shed an building a firewood storage rack from supplies I had on hand
spent saturday night listening to music around a campfire, roasting hot dogs with the wife
had the windows open full time and had ZERO ac/heat. pretty rare here in Texas.
Sold a bike that doesn't fit me for a profit to buy one that will, for grocery and errand adventures
Sold a random bookshelf that came free with the house.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4555 on: October 05, 2015, 07:50:50 AM »
I'm leaving work at the end of the month and, things being the way they are here, that doesn't mean people will be offering to take me out for a farewell lunch (although my boss might do that if there's time). Oh no, it means that I provide a party for those I'll be leaving behind. I've made my peace with these silly traditions and rather than just skip it I'm keeping it small scale and telling people that we'll just head to the Irish pub for karaoke afterwards. Seriously, some people end up celebrating leaving here by staying here (drinking, admittedly) until midnight on their last day. Buying crates and crates of beer and wine and ordering food from our caterer. Not for me. I'll put in the effort and make rice krispie buns and probably bake one cake and otherwise it'll be a couple of bags of crisps, I think. Well, if I'm feeling super productive and bored the night before, maybe I'll make a quiche.

This past Saturday was reunifciation day here and when I was at the supermarket at lunchtime I saw that they still had some of their celabratory special offers. So got two bottles of semi-dry Sekt for 3.99 each instead of 5.99 and two bottles of dry for 2.49 each. I'll go over tomorrow to grab a crate of beer and then I'm done. And even better, it's the supermarket across the road from work so I can just bring the stuff straight here instead of having it sitting at home getting in the way and then having to find a way to get it from home to work. 3 weeks, 4 days and 3 hours and counting!

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #4556 on: October 05, 2015, 12:23:17 PM »
Took a military shower--wetted self down,turned off water, sudsed hair and person, turned water back off.
Is this actually unusual? I never heard the term "military shower", but this is how I always showered. Do most people actually leave the water on while applying shampoo and soap? If they do (and I know I will kick myself for that question...): WHY?

Feels good?
Terminology info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_shower

And yes, people do it because they think it feels good. A long hot shower is pretty cheap therapy, all things considered. I'll give up salting my food and long hot showers approximately never.

I use to do that as a kid. No one told me to. Funny now I don't do it anymore.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4557 on: October 05, 2015, 04:34:49 PM »
Took a sub-military shower (wet a washcloth from the tap, rub all over, repeat as needed, shower only to rinse).
Biked to work and bank... absolutely beautiful weather here today.
Had fridge Soup (aka leftovers) for supper.

"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #4558 on: October 05, 2015, 04:53:07 PM »
Took a military shower--wetted self down,turned off water, sudsed hair and person, turned water back off.
Is this actually unusual? I never heard the term "military shower", but this is how I always showered. Do most people actually leave the water on while applying shampoo and soap? If they do (and I know I will kick myself for that question...): WHY?

Feels good?
Terminology info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_shower

And yes, people do it because they think it feels good. A long hot shower is pretty cheap therapy, all things considered. I'll give up salting my food and long hot showers approximately never.

I use to do that as a kid. No one told me to. Funny now I don't do it anymore.

I don't particularly enjoy showering, so this was an easy cut for me. It kinda stressed me out, like dimes going down the drain, and I felt better with the water off. We all have our sacred cows... coffee is one of mine. Long showers, no.

I have this urge to drink hot coffee over and over again all morning. Discovered that tea is almost as tasty and can use the same leaves three times. I dunno if it's actually cheaper in general, but the tea was a gift, so replacing coffee that I bought with gift tea was definitely a savings.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4559 on: October 05, 2015, 06:09:33 PM »
35 degrees in Sydney yesterday so most people seemed to be either complaining about the heat or cranking the AC.

Our apartment is very well insulated (we're renting so I can't take credit, I'm afraid), so I was gleefully pegging washing on the toasty balcony all day then retreating inside to the cool.

Public holiday, hot day, and my husband and I will be away next weekend, so I was thrilled to get three loads washed and dried.

We're staying with friends so we won't pay for accommodation, taking a work car so not paying for fuel, we'll pack oats so no buying breakfast, and there will be about a dozen of us so we usually pitch in and cook dinner for the crowd. An affordable getaway, and one of our favourite weeks of the year.

Candace

• Bristles
« Reply #4560 on: October 05, 2015, 06:24:40 PM »
I just used Super Glue to repair the sole of one of my office shoes instead of buying new shoes. The sole split in two right across the widest part, where the ball of the foot flexes. I've already had these shoes repaired once. I took them to the cobbler to fix significantly uneven wear on the heels, instead of buying new shoes, so this is the second time I'm saving them. I hope the Super Glue repair holds. I don't particularly like these shoes, but since I have to wear orthotic inserts now, I don't want to buy ANOTHER pair of ugly shoes that the inserts will fit into, before I really have to.

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #4561 on: October 05, 2015, 06:38:12 PM »
I just used Super Glue to repair the sole of one of my office shoes instead of buying new shoes. The sole split in two right across the widest part, where the ball of the foot flexes. I've already had these shoes repaired once. I took them to the cobbler to fix significantly uneven wear on the heels, instead of buying new shoes, so this is the second time I'm saving them. I hope the Super Glue repair holds. I don't particularly like these shoes, but since I have to wear orthotic inserts now, I don't want to buy ANOTHER pair of ugly shoes that the inserts will fit into, before I really have to.

If superglue doesn't work, you might try this e6000 glue that you can get from Amazon, or I bought mine at Joann: http://www.amazon.com/E-6000-237032-E6000%C2%AE-Craft-Adhesive/dp/B004BPHQWU

I used it to repair a leather purse and two pairs of toddler sandals; seems to be holding. Have definitely gotten my six bucks' worth.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4562 on: October 05, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »
After orientation for work, there was an optional survey to fill out about the training. Not only did it enter me for a $50 gift card drawing, but I also got paid for the time filling it out. Seemed silly to leave money on the table when we'd already been there all day, but the other trainees left without filling it out. Into worse traffic, no less, because the extra 30 min pushed us past a lot of traffic.

So guys. I WON THIS.

$50 gift card, coming in the mail. Heck yes.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4563 on: October 05, 2015, 08:33:33 PM »

Goop for shoes is terrific stuff.  I used it to repair some winter boots 2 years ago for hubby - they split in exactly the same place as your shoes.  I troweled the Goop in, and the boots have held up through our nasty winters so far.
When life shuts a door, open it again. It's a door.  That's how they work.

Tigerpine

• Stubble
« Reply #4564 on: October 05, 2015, 08:35:56 PM »
After orientation for work, there was an optional survey to fill out about the training. Not only did it enter me for a $50 gift card drawing, but I also got paid for the time filling it out. Seemed silly to leave money on the table when we'd already been there all day, but the other trainees left without filling it out. Into worse traffic, no less, because the extra 30 min pushed us past a lot of traffic.

So guys. I WON THIS.

Congratulations!  Sounds like you won on multiple fronts!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4565 on: October 05, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »

So guys. I WON THIS.

AWESOME. Congrats.

* Collected some gulf fritillary caterpillars that are living on our passionfruit vine and brought them inside. The kids can observe up close as the caterpillars go through the metamorphosis process.

* Filled out a store survey and got a $3 coupon for next time.

* Used a free drink coupon and a food coupon through the Starbucks app.

* Used a 20 percent off coupon to buy a retractable clothesline (in the interests of reducing our dryer use). I only have to not use the dryer 40 times to earn back the cost of the clothesline, LOL. :)

* Borrowed a hammer drill and mortar drill bits from my mom, and helped her repot a large plant.

* Scattered homegrown chamomile seed in a new part of the yard.

* Harvested green onion and sunchokes from the garden, and collected an egg. Cut lemon verbena branches and put them in an old milk bottle filled with rain barrel water for a mustachian flower arrangement.

* Culled some of my extra garden and compost books for resale.

* Fed the chickens the usual kitchen scraps (including a nice quantity of pumpkin seeds) and let them free-range all day, harnessing their roto-tilling skills and their additional fertility as the garden transitions to fall.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:14:43 PM by jengod »
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4566 on: October 06, 2015, 04:35:26 AM »
I found a way to save on public transport, even for an incidental user that usually rides her bike to work. This will save me 2 euro every trip. If I take the bus twice a month on average, this pass will save me 37 the coming 365 days. Yay for small effortless wins!
Yay, out of debt... now, GROW!
My '16/'17 journal

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #4567 on: October 06, 2015, 11:30:14 AM »
Over the weekend we had to attend a friend's baby shower in my hometown. As this is the first of several showers coming up, I went to joanns and used some coupons and sales to stock up on appropriately baby style fabrics so I could make personalized bibs and burp cloths for my friends instead of buying something off the registry. We have 3 more showers until the year's end, and plenty of fabric to last for another 3 or 4 babies after that. $55 worth of fabric for 8 baby shower's worth of gifts. My husband was looking at the registry and we probably would have spent between $25-$50 each so this is significant savings and lets me enjoy my sewing hobby.
Added bonus, my husband liked one of the fabrics (robot themed) and asked me to make him a scrub cap for his upcoming surgery rotation. One of the school's clubs sells them for $20 so that's more money saved.

Back to our weekend trip, we met my sister for lunch and spent $40. Sounds facepunch worthy, right? Except that our portions were so big we both had lunch that day, my husband had dinner for Sunday night and I have gotten two more work lunches out of it. $8/serving doesn't seem so bad and I got to enjoy a beautiful sunny day with husband and sister.

We have a big group visiting at work this week with catered lunches for the top brass. The leftovers make their way into the staff kitchen where anyone can take them. I have a mid level salary for the office so I waited until the end of the day so the more junior people could take what they wanted and then i brought home 3 sandwiches which made up my husband's lunch for today. I'll check again in a few hours to see if there's more today.

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #4568 on: October 06, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »
I told my husband he could plan to work on my birthday (when I don't work) so that he will not have to work this Friday evening, when I do work. We would either have had to shell out fifty bucks for a babysitter, or he could have had to drive 20 miles roundtrip in rush hour traffic to pick up the kids and bring them back to work with him.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #4569 on: October 06, 2015, 06:31:02 PM »
DH and I took a couple days off and had a lovely staycation. Our vacation days expire if we don't use them. We took some time to do some yard work in the nice weather and cleaned out the garage. Better than an expensive vacation is peace and organization. haha

Today we slept in, went for a nice walk and than went out to lunch with a free gift card I won last Christmas at a Holiday party. Cost $0 and we're feeling very relaxed. Even better is tomorrow my lunch is the leftovers we brought home today from our free lunch.

BetsyS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4570 on: October 06, 2015, 08:17:55 PM »
Rode my bike to and from work. I know that's old hat for most folks here, but it was my first ride home in the dark since the days are getting shorter. New bike lights worked a treat.

No spend day as well.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4571 on: October 06, 2015, 08:49:09 PM »

So guys. I WON THIS.

Sweet, always smart to enter when there isn't a lot of competition for the prize - besides, you can't win if you never enter. CONGRATS!

1. Well, my small thing for today was - actually remembering to take in the empty ink cartridges for credit at Office Depot and bring along the $10 off coupon  (if you purchase $50).
2. But, the purchase turned out to be only $48 not $50, awww, so the cashier said, "I can override your coupon" and we got our ten bucks:) Sweet!
3. Needed a new wireless mouse and they just happened to have a mark down - paid $19.90 instead of $39.90 - $20 savings.

So all in all - saved $30 plus $14 credit on my rewards card.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:58:19 PM by Rosy »

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4572 on: October 06, 2015, 11:12:36 PM »
Rode my bike to and from work. I know that's old hat for most folks here, but it was my first ride home in the dark since the days are getting shorter. New bike lights worked a treat.

No spend day as well.

Badassity!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4573 on: October 07, 2015, 11:56:12 AM »
Replaced all the guts in my toilet tank myself, with a kit that I got on clearance for 50% off.  No more using bobby pins to hold the chain in place!
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

dorothyc

• Bristles
« Reply #4574 on: October 07, 2015, 01:28:26 PM »
I walked to work via an alternate route, that I realized saves me 5 minutes - 50 minutes instead of 55. Bus fare would have been 45 cents after work subsidy, and I got to exercise on my way to work.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4575 on: October 07, 2015, 02:48:19 PM »
* Borrowed a hammer drill and mortar drill bits from my mom, and helped her repot a large plant.

Must have been a hell of a plant.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #4576 on: October 07, 2015, 02:59:46 PM »
I have had a foster dog the last couple weeks (she got adopted today!) and I've been closing my bedroom and computer/spare room doors while she has been there to keep her out. She's allowed in at bedtime. I notice when I go in my bedroom now that it is quite a bit colder than the rest of the house. No big deal, less rooms to heat and I'm usually only in there either very briefly, or when I go to bed. Last night I was so chilly, but I just jumped under multiple blankets, and made my dog snuggle me for warmth instead of turning up the heat. Was toasty warm in the morning even though he'd moved to his regular spot sometime during the night.

Also free food at work.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4577 on: October 07, 2015, 07:37:29 PM »

Must have been a hell of a plant.

I think it's older than me. :)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4578 on: October 08, 2015, 02:36:53 AM »
I have had a foster dog the last couple weeks (she got adopted today!)

Aw, cute. :) What breed is she?

Candace

• Bristles
« Reply #4579 on: October 08, 2015, 06:38:19 AM »
Thank you to everyone who suggested better ways to repair shoes. If mine breaks again, I'll use one of those. So far, so good though.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #4580 on: October 08, 2015, 07:43:44 AM »
You guys are pretty inspiring. I enjoy reading all the ways you save money.

I can't compare in a lot of ways because of where we live. We're pretty rural and it's a half hour car ride to the grocery store. There is no public transit. So my best bet is just to group errands together or have DH in his company car drive me. That's been our tactic lately. Goal is to save on gas.

Been working the freezer inventory and meal planning pretty hard. Sticking to the meal plan is absolutely saving us money. I figured out a weeks worth of meals and committed to them by writing them down on my kitchen bulletin board. I have been switching around the days to allow some flexibility and so far it's working great.

I work at home so no gas used and no money spent today.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4581 on: October 08, 2015, 09:39:46 AM »
Minor thing, but I managed to arrange all of my errands in town on the same day.  So I did physical therapy, got an injection, returned something, went to 2 grocery stores, and picked up the ribbon I needed from Joann's, all in one trip.  Glad to save on gas!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4582 on: October 08, 2015, 09:47:33 AM »
Crock pot weather! Made a batch of chili yesterday. Normally I do double batches, but I wasn't sure if Brother would like it. Turns out he does! So I'm up to 3 recipes that DH, Brother, and I all like.

Container shuffle- I re-packaged the 20lb bag of basmati we got from Costco. It's the same cost as the 10lb bags we were getting before, so a great deal, but I wasn't sure how storage would work out! Luckily I had enough open glass jars that it worked out okay. Unfortunately now I'm having a hard time repacking the 5lb bag of coffee we just got from the roaster. Hmmm. Work in progress.

No spend, no travel day for me yesterday. I stayed home and cooked and read a library book. Took a nap. It was a drizzly day, so it was pleasant to stay inside. Will probably do the same again today, and skype friends.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #4583 on: October 08, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
I have had a foster dog the last couple weeks (she got adopted today!)

Aw, cute. :) What breed is she?

She's a German Shepherd cross of some sort. A little over a year old and super sweet. I knew she'd get adopted fast, but three weeks is a record for me. :)

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #4584 on: October 09, 2015, 09:21:14 AM »
It's he 9th and my "Everything Else" category in Mint is still at $0 for October!
Liberté, Égalité, Frugalité!
-------------
I'm on that free Amazon gift card grind: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/dantownehall (obvious referral link)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4585 on: October 09, 2015, 09:33:33 AM »

I can't compare in a lot of ways because of where we live. We're pretty rural and it's a half hour car ride to the grocery store. There is no public transit. So my best bet is just to group errands together or have DH in his company car drive me. That's been our tactic lately. Goal is to save on gas.

Been working the freezer inventory and meal planning pretty hard. Sticking to the meal plan is absolutely saving us money. I figured out a weeks worth of meals and committed to them by writing them down on my kitchen bulletin board. I have been switching around the days to allow some flexibility and so far it's working great.

Lots of good things to do in the country that save money.  Witness my efforts to grow a second crop of leeks from the roots of the first crop in hope of saving $2.00 on transplants. So far only one has cooperated.  I think I need to leave a bit more leek on the root next time.

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #4586 on: October 09, 2015, 02:28:26 PM »
Some weeks back, I scored a used Burley Piccolo for $75.

Finally got around to replacing the chain. Saved $15 over having it done at the bike shop. (And a lot of trouble, because it is damn near impossible to fit a Burley Piccolo into a Honda Accord with kids in the back.)

Koreth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4587 on: October 09, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »
Cancelled the gym membership and bodybugg subscription. Since the two together totalled to just over 38, I increased the automatic deposit to my IRA by $40

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4588 on: October 09, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »
I love this one:)
* Fed the chickens the usual kitchen scraps (including a nice quantity of pumpkin seeds) and let them free-range all day, harnessing their roto-tilling skills and their additional fertility as the garden transitions to fall.

Signed up for a new savings account with 5% interest and used a referral code $20 plus an extra incentive of $10. So all in all, I'm pretty happy with myself right now. $30 in cash now and $20 every month for my $5K savings, easy money, but I sure fretted and searched for a while before I finally did this.
I'll feel better when I have my card and the account is all finalized, online banking still makes me nervous:)

The cardinal approved of the sunflower seeds left on the pods:) and maybe I'll create a new herbal tea combo tomorrow, it's clean up the garden time in Florida:) 

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4589 on: October 09, 2015, 04:57:15 PM »
The sole on a pair of shoes I recently bought started to separate.  Would have taken it to a cobbler but that would have cost money, so i thought I'd take it by the store I bought it from first.  That store is pretty far away and I would have had to make a special trip in my car.  So I called the shoe company's customer service line and they agreed to fix it for me, I just had to send them in.  They sent me a pre-paid UPS shipping label with my return slip, I printed it out and biked it over to the local UPS store.  Saved $$ by not going to a cobbler, by not driving to the physical store, and got some exercise on my bike as a bonus!
Frugalite in training.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #4590 on: October 09, 2015, 06:19:05 PM »

Lots of good things to do in the country that save money.  Witness my efforts to grow a second crop of leeks from the roots of the first crop in hope of saving $2.00 on transplants. So far only one has cooperated.  I think I need to leave a bit more leek on the root next time.

Good luck with the leeks.

Yes, I am a big gardener who's suffering a little garden burn out. Need to go smaller and more manageable.  Need to find cheaper ways to garden too, researching. I love the leek idea, let me know how it goes.

Harvested two bushels of apples today from our orchard. Sorted them out and put the perfect ones
in the fridge for storage and turned the imperfect ones into applesauce I canned. Still have sweet potatoes to dig and butternut squash to gather.

I cooked a grab and go dinner for everybody. DS asked if I could copy something he saw at work (he works in a grocery store on the weekends) chicken parm wraps.  I just made homemade breaded boneless chicken and than layered it in a flour tortilla with cheese and sauce. He said it was perfect and everybody heading in different directions today wrapped one in foil, grabbed an apple and took off. Nobody had to eat out. Perfect.

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #4591 on: October 09, 2015, 07:07:49 PM »
Fixed a drain pipe instead of hiring a plumber. This adds up big over time.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #4592 on: October 09, 2015, 10:18:25 PM »
I've really been working on stepping up my MyPoints usage. I can usually keep it going in the background while doing other things and the points add up. So far it's come out to 3 $25 gift cards since July and I'm almost at the point where I can redeem for another. This will help keep us under budget for entertainment and eating out. I'm trying to get a better idea of what Christmas gifts will be for family so I can try to redeem for those stores and be able to reduce of holiday budget too.

(Not to be spammy, but if you are interested PM me. The referral bonus is 25 points for me, full disclosure)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #4593 on: October 09, 2015, 11:08:35 PM »
Well in recent memory:

Yesterday I arrived home exhausted from a work trip, so woke up this morning thinking I had nothing for lunch, then remembered that I froze leftover soup before leaving on my trip, and still had half a cantaloupe from the garden in the fridge, so lunch out avoided.  Enjoyed homemade yogurt for breakfast.

On said work trip, took full advantage of free hotel breakfast and evening "reception" snacks so I could pocket most of the per diem.

Just purchased a beef quarter and asked for the heart, tongue and bones (still have liver from last year, I think they gave me the entire thing).  Will roast off the bones and can bunches of stock.  Of course the beef is great grass-raised quality meat for less than the price of bottom-rung grocery store stuff.

Eating down the contents of the freezer instead of grocery shopping to make way for said beef quarter.

Declined the monthly riding lessons this month because we haven't made much progress since last time the instructor was in town, so no sense paying to rehash last month's lessons.

Starting next month, I'll likely be doing her scheduling in exchange for a free lesson each month.

Decided my horses were a bit fat and cut their feed rations down a bit.

Bought clearance plants at Lowe's using a $5 off $25 coupon and a $15 mail-in-rebate debit card, so I walked out with 8 quart sized perennials for $7 and change.

Decided not to open a bottle of wine tonight, and drank water instead.

BetsyS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4594 on: October 10, 2015, 07:40:24 AM »
I resisted getting a coffee and snack at the airport while waiting to pick up the in laws. (Insert joke here).

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #4595 on: October 10, 2015, 08:32:32 AM »
Currently on my second no-spend day in a row, studying at home for an exam that would give me a significant raise. The girlfriend being out of town for the weekend does help on that front!

I'm definitely not on the level of most of you, though!

Catbert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4596 on: October 10, 2015, 12:16:18 PM »

Not exactly today, but this week, I bought a $5 rotisserie chicken at Costco.  So dinners this week included:

Huge portion of roast chicken
BBQ chicken sandwiches using guava BBQ sauce I made last week from free guavas and homemade buns
Chicken and veggie frittata

I added a bag of veggie trimmings from the freezer to the carcass and made yummy chicken broth.  After a night in the frig I was able to skim off the fat to save separately. 

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4597 on: October 11, 2015, 12:17:55 AM »
Collected jars of bubbles that people were just throwing in the trash after the wedding ceremony I attended tonight. My two-year-old has been asking for bubbles for months. I think he's going to be pleased with me.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4598 on: October 11, 2015, 03:04:55 AM »
Just returned from camping.  Made a careful effort to get everything perishable in the food box put where it will get used while still good.  I have a history of leaving the coffee in the camping food box until it gets too stale to use so made an extra effort to get it back on the counter where it will get used.  Kills me to find that I have wasted my bought-as-beans-to-ensure-it's-good coffee by letting it get stale.

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #4599 on: October 12, 2015, 12:55:45 AM »
Returned all the clothes I bought a few weeks ago in a panic-pre-wedding-shopping-spree, as I decided last minute I would just wear something I already owned.