Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2360201 times)

marcela

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4450 on: September 21, 2015, 07:28:44 AM »
Between sales, coupons and rebates, we were able to get $99 worth of groceries for just $44! This is the lowest we've been able to do since we started being more deliberate with our grocery shopping. The things purchased will get us well into October without another grocery trip which saves us on impulse purchases.
Saturday night we hosted several friends over for a bonfire/football watching. Only cost us a bottle of wine purchased on discount the day before.
I did a mystery shop on Saturday which will bring in $15 and ran errands since I already had the car out that day. Went to garage sale where we bought a lamp, sunglasses, photo frame and a mini crockpot all for $15! The lamp and photo frame will brighten up my office and the crockpot is giving us a test drive before we commit to a larger one.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4451 on: September 21, 2015, 08:44:52 PM »
* Finally made aebleskiver (Danish pancake balls) with a vintage Griswold aebleskiver pan I found at a yard sale last year. I hereby declare them to be delicious but I can drive up to Solvang if I really have a craving. I can now list the pan on EBay without guilt that I never tried the stuff.

* I also got diapers for free using some unrepeatable coupon mojo that I stumbled into quite by accident. Of course DS2 is potty trained as of last week so one box will go to DH's coworker's kid and one will be sold to build our cash stash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4452 on: September 21, 2015, 09:20:57 PM »
*Hung a load of laundry in the free air today

*Did dry black beans in the crockpot this morning and they were ready to make into burritos by dinner

*Watching a cool NOVA video from the library called, "Secrets Beneath the Ice" -- love having no cable when I know we can do something free like this as a family. I'd bet if we had cable, we'd all be off in separate rooms watching individual shows.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4453 on: September 22, 2015, 03:53:30 PM »
Today, so far:

*Made a loaf of "5 minutes a day" bread

*Reading new book I bought! Buyers remorse setting in already .. must read this book that I actually purchased. Not available in the library. ::face punch::

*Continuing to enjoy no heating/no cooling season. Warm and sunny and 16C today; so lovely out! Apparently, tomorrow is the first day of fall!

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:04:16 PM by 1967mama »

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #4454 on: September 22, 2015, 04:19:59 PM »
Went to Costco, topped off my gas tank, AND resisted the urge to buy a hot dog to share with Little Brother.

Came in $100 under my initial guesstimate for fixing up the children's play area out back. Found landscape fabric in garage, salvaged some that was already down, and decided I could just reuse the rubber mulch.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4455 on: September 22, 2015, 09:03:09 PM »
* Used a traditional safety razor for the first time, in hopes of reducing my use of shitty disposable plastic razors. #zerowastehome
* Listed a couple more items on eBay.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4456 on: September 23, 2015, 03:31:45 AM »
Dried tomatoe to store some of the bounty

Made banana bread

Made no bake protein energy bites - passed the DH taste test

Harvested tomatoes from the garden

Tested sandals repaired with Shoe Goo - low stress test, but so far holding together

Froze leftover brownie before it spoils/stales anymore

I save butter wrappers to grease baking pans. Recently I started using them as parchment squares too.
What is a no bake protein energy bar? This sounds awesome!!!!

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4457 on: September 23, 2015, 06:25:16 AM »

Made banana bread

Tested sandals repaired with Shoe Goo - low stress test, but so far holding together

I save butter wrappers to grease baking pans. Recently I started using them as parchment squares too.
I mistyped - these are balls, not bars, though you could press this out onto parchment and cut. I found this via Google, I don't remember the source:

I did not have all the exact ingredients, so I improvised.
Substitutions/changes: added about 2 T chia seeds, used Kashi 7 grain puff cereal, used Skippy chocolate peanut butter, Hyvee chocolate soy/whey protein powder.

makes: 12 balls
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats)
cup almond butter
cup plus 1 teaspoon honey
cup chocolate protein powder
cup chocolate chips
⅓ cup puffed brown rice
Instructions
In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients with a wooden spoon. Form into balls (see note) and store in an air tight container in the fridge between snacking.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4458 on: September 23, 2015, 06:32:13 AM »
I used a money off voucher for a purchase, I walked instead of getting a taxi and I got something for free.:)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4459 on: September 23, 2015, 06:40:25 AM »

Made banana bread

I mistyped - these are balls, not bars, though you could press this out onto parchment and cut. I found this via Google, I don't remember the source:

Substitutions/changes: added about 2 T chia seeds, used Kashi 7 grain puff cereal, used Skippy chocolate peanut butter, Hyvee chocolate soy/whey protein powder.

cup almond butter
cup chocolate chips
⅓ cup puffed brown rice
Instructions
In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients with a wooden spoon. Form into balls (see note) and store in an air tight container in the fridge between snacking.
I like this... Gonna give it a try. I made a Chia pod tonight and it was tasty :-)

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4460 on: September 23, 2015, 06:51:39 AM »
Got some more free apples from work. No-one else seems to be taking them.

Used up some bananas that were getting brown in a smoothie rather than throwing them out.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4461 on: September 23, 2015, 07:22:37 AM »

Made banana bread

cup almond butter
cup chocolate chips
⅓ cup puffed brown rice
Instructions
I like this... Gonna give it a try. I made a Chia pod tonight and it was tasty :-)
These were a little too sweet, likely due to the chocolate peanut butter. I used mini chocolate chips as I expected it would be easier to mix in. I will freely use chunky peanut butter or other nut butters in the recipe.  I also made the balls smaller and got 18 out of the batch. There wasn't a nutritional or calorie breakdown in the recipe that I could find, in case that is of interest. Based on the texture, I think one could increase the dry ingredients slightly and still get the mixture to stick together. I thought about substituting some coconut oil for the nut butter, especially until I use up the chocolate peanut butter!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4462 on: September 23, 2015, 07:32:09 AM »
It's 62 F in my house right now.  Wearing wool socks, hat and sweater under my sweatshirt rather than turning on the heat.  Drinking a home made latte before I pack my lunch for my free-with-college-ID bus ride to the community college for piano lesson. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4463 on: September 23, 2015, 09:31:58 AM »
I'm with 2nd timer- it's 62F in our house right now. Actually not too bad- I'm not even feeling the urge to bundle up in a blanket. We'll see how long we can hold out without heat, particularly since we had to block so many vents that we won't be able to use the gas heating without rearranging a lot of furniture.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4464 on: September 23, 2015, 10:06:14 AM »
It's 62 F in my house right now.  Wearing wool socks, hat and sweater under my sweatshirt rather than turning on the heat. 

One of the nice things about living in a smallish apartment in the middle of the building is that we're pretty well insulated.  We only got really uncomfortable a couple of days in the summer when the temps were 90+ for several days in a row.  That was the only time my DS pushed me to buy a fan (which I ended up not doing).  I was actually going to open the screen door this morning because I feel a bit too warm.  Hopefully it bodes well for low electricity use this winter!
Wherever you go, there you are

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4465 on: September 23, 2015, 01:23:02 PM »
It's 62 F in my house right now.  Wearing wool socks, hat and sweater under my sweatshirt rather than turning on the heat. 

One of the nice things about living in a smallish apartment in the middle of the building is that we're pretty well insulated.  We only got really uncomfortable a couple of days in the summer when the temps were 90+ for several days in a row.  That was the only time my DS pushed me to buy a fan (which I ended up not doing).  I was actually going to open the screen door this morning because I feel a bit too warm.  Hopefully it bodes well for low electricity use this winter!

I remember those days.  We had an apartment in the middle of the building and everybody else heated it for us.  Lovely!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4466 on: September 23, 2015, 06:17:14 PM »
Just booked our return flight from Beijing for our Christmas trip using frequent flyer miles.  Business class was only 5000 miles more per ticket than economy -- have never seen that before, so I snatched them up.  Fees and taxes will only be about $65 total.  Helps offset the exploding volcano of spending we've been having to not have to pay out of pocket for the tickets.

DS is stoked.  He's been begging for business class tickets for ages.  I used his miles to get them :)

My husband travels a lot for work so he has a very healthy frequent flyer balance (we've had one trip to Europe this year and he's already replaced the points we used), so I'm always interested in articles on maximising use of points.

It's fairly widely regarded that upgrading gives you the best value for money

http://www.ausbt.com.au/what-is-a-qantas-frequent-flyer-point-worth

While that approach may be true in general, in this case it wasn't an optino.

I just checked the fares.  On the date of our flight, one way seats would have been $1234 each to  purchase in regular Economy class, and $2392 to purchase in business class.  The economy class seats would not have been upgradable at that fare (L class -- Delta only allows international upgrades on Y, B or M fares).  There is no easy way for me to compare what an upgradable flight would have cost.

My options for booking with miles were 65,000 miles + $31.50 in fees for an economy class seat (.019/mile), or 70,0000 miles + $31.50 in business (.034/mile).

For only 5000 extra miles each, I got an extra $1158 worth of seat (x2 = $2316).  And I'm paying less than $65 out of pocket. 

This is for a direct flight.  Flying the other airline I have points for (United) would have involved two plane changes, would have extended the duration of the trip by 7-8 hours minimum, and would have taken more miles (80,000/person).

Sorry lhamo, that wasn't intended as criticism, just trivia.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4467 on: September 23, 2015, 06:21:28 PM »
I played with my neighbors tabby cat instead of getting my own.

Sorry, I'm having a little giggle at this one.

"Whatcha doing?"
"Saving money." *pats cat*

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4468 on: September 23, 2015, 07:09:31 PM »
Asked the tailor if he could revisit the price on the items I picked up this evening.  He took a look at what was done and dropped the cost by 45%.  (It likely doesn't hurt that I've been a loyal customer for several years and they really were quick fixes for someone with a machine.)

A client lunch was postponed at the last minute, so I had some instant oatmeal with peanut butter instead of going for takeout.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

CM*TO Is a thing!! We're accepting names for the waitlist!!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4469 on: September 23, 2015, 07:56:48 PM »
Cut my husband's hair for the first time.

The agreement was that if I did a terrible job he would go and get it tidied up at the barber.

I think it could do with some tidying up but he's happy with it. And we've learnt for next time.

kittenwhiskers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4470 on: September 23, 2015, 10:24:14 PM »
We wanted corned beef sandwiches... the price for sliced corned beef at the local store's deli $13.99/lb! Turns out a corned beef brisket costs just above $5 a pound. Stuck it in the crock pot all day and voila! Corned beef for sandwiches, for about a third the cost and the most delicious we've ever had, too!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4471 on: September 24, 2015, 01:19:59 AM »
We wanted corned beef sandwiches... the price for sliced corned beef at the local store's deli $13.99/lb! Turns out a corned beef brisket costs just above $5 a pound. Stuck it in the crock pot all day and voila! Corned beef for sandwiches, for about a third the cost and the most delicious we've ever had, too!

Oooh now you've got me wanting corned beef but I know how long it takes to cook...

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4472 on: September 24, 2015, 04:52:41 AM »
I passed on my meter readings to the utility company I'm leaving. Barely in time;  if I would have done it a day later they would've guestimated my usage on "historic usage" to draw up the final bill. My new supplier of kWh and m3 is cheaper, so I'm glad I didn't get overbilled by the old one.

Only drinking tea and water today, and loving it! I switched the BF to loose leaf tea by filling filter teabags in advance. This will save not only on the hot beverages themselves, but also on waste disposal as the paper baggies can be composted (he previously used plastic mesh ones that ended up in the trash). Small win, but we drink a lot of tea between the both of us so it's another tiny step in the right direction.

I've prepared ingredients for a nice pumpkin pie tonight, first of this autumn season. Already looking forward to it! I will use the residual heat for baking dessert: apple turnovers filled with what's left over from baking apple pie earlier this week.

Yesterday I rode the bike to work through a couple of showers, I'm trying my luck again this afternoon. If I can trust the radar, luck is on my side today and I'll stay dry.

Yay, out of debt... now, GROW!
My '16/'17 journal

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4473 on: September 24, 2015, 06:29:44 AM »
We're working from home and lunch at home has been a bit tricky to work out. There are a few constraints, the main one is I have a lot of nausea from medical treatment and have developed some strong aversions to some of our normal foods (hopefully will wear off post treatment!). However, potatoes are ok as long as I add a shit ton of lemon juice. So most of our lunches at home have been microwaved potatoes in their skin with some sort of topping (usually lemon juice for me).

Which, it turns out, is super cheap. We buy 5kg of potatoes for $5. So lunch for the two of us is under a $1 for 2 people, depending on whether DH adds some more expensive ingredients to his or not.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4474 on: September 24, 2015, 06:16:11 PM »
I received a quote for a green slip for our car (rego due in October) in the mail yesterday.

QBE quoted us $865; I did a price comparison online and the cheapest is GIO at $677. Saved $188 for 30 seconds of Googling.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #4475 on: September 24, 2015, 07:22:42 PM »
only $1 spent on fast food today.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4476 on: September 24, 2015, 08:13:31 PM »
* Ate leftovers, bulk purchased oatmeal and home eggs. Stayed out of the drive-thru.
* Saved $37 on new bedding for the kids with BB&B coupons. The checker was great and we hashed out the best coupons to use for each item.
* Sold and shipped $42 of stuff on eBay
* Did not buy a Food Saver machine from the clearance shelves, because even though it was $100 off and I like saving food and money, I do not actually need a Food Saver, which reminded me of this image shared by the Ultimate Cheapskate last November:

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4477 on: September 24, 2015, 10:53:02 PM »
Are the stale bread. Rejuvenated it with an advacado that was about to turn. Healthy and minimised food wastage and spending :-)

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4478 on: September 25, 2015, 04:34:32 AM »
Fixed a leak tire this morning, so I can ride my bike to work as usual. Seems to hold up so far...
Dogsitting duty today: took dog nr. 1 to the grocery store by bike, did some quick shopping while she waited outside, continued trip to house of doggy nr. 2 and headed back with two dogs running along. No gas used, groceries done at Aldi and both dogs got ample exercise. Yay for win-win!
My '16/'17 journal

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4479 on: September 25, 2015, 07:57:26 AM »
Planning a trip to the local thrift store to look at book shelves as soon as they open today.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4480 on: September 25, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
Got pizza with friends last night. Leftovers packed for lunch today. I didn't finish my crust last night, so I packed it today instead of throwing it out.  This is more a testament to how flipping good the pizza is than my frugality.

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #4481 on: September 25, 2015, 10:47:03 PM »
Today I shared a new challenge my husband and I are undertaking.  We are going to eat on $200 for the next 30 days.  I know it's not a big stretch for the folks here, but we have been overspending  our $16/day food budget and now we're  going to do our level best to stick with a $7/day budget. 

Today I posted on our local buy - nothing page.  I shared our challenge and asked if anyone would like to share some fresh herbs.  I was gifted oregano, basil, rosemary, parsley, chives and some kale.  Holy smokes!  I was blown away.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4482 on: September 26, 2015, 08:32:34 AM »
Today I shared a new challenge my husband and I are undertaking.  We are going to eat on $200 for the next 30 days.  I know it's not a big stretch for the folks here, but we have been overspending  our $16/day food budget and now we're  going to do our level best to stick with a $7/day budget. 

Today I posted on our local buy - nothing page.  I shared our challenge and asked if anyone would like to share some fresh herbs.  I was gifted oregano, basil, rosemary, parsley, chives and some kale.  Holy smokes!  I was blown away.

I love the idea of getting my local buy-nothing group involved with a spending challenge! How great!
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4483 on: September 26, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »
Left the roots of the leeks I harvested.  I am hoping that in our mild climate they will grow another leek like green onions do.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #4484 on: September 26, 2015, 03:09:27 PM »
Yesterday I noticed that someone at work had tossed a nearly full package of hamburger buns in the trash.  Fished them out and I'm about to feed them to my chickens.

Used a $10 of coupon at the feed store to purchase the economy size packages of vitamin supplements and fly spray.  Thought I could make it through the rest of the year without buying fly spray but ick, they flies get so obnoxious right before it gets cold and my horses were throwing tantrums about it when I needed them to hold still so I could trim their hooves.

Catbert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4485 on: September 26, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »
This morning I tried the "trick" I learned earlier in this thread:  used one tea bag in a 2 cup pot rather than trying to re-use the tea bag for a second cup.  Worked great!

I was headed out to run errands late this morning.  We just returned for vacation so none of my usual thrifty lunch options were available (i.e., leftovers or fresh fruit).  But I knew I would succumb to the lure of restaurant or fast food if I went out without eating.  1/2 a can of refried beans with a little homemade salsa filled the bill.

I also took a re-usable container of cold tap water with me.  It's still hot here so this enabled me to skip ice tea at Starbucks.  (There's a Starbucks 1/2 mile from my house, across from the library which I have to pass every time I leave my neighborhood.)

Made sun tea and yogurt after I returned from shopping.

dorothyc

• Bristles
« Reply #4486 on: September 26, 2015, 08:36:51 PM »
I pulled a couple of pieces of roasted turkey carcass / thighs out of the freezer with some saved, frozen onion scraps, a bay leaf and some parsley stalks and simmered it all up for several hours with water and a splash of vinegar to make turkey broth. It will go in soup, or home made risotto.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4487 on: September 26, 2015, 10:35:53 PM »
This morning I tried the "trick" I learned earlier in this thread:  used one tea bag in a 2 cup pot rather than trying to re-use the tea bag for a second cup.  Worked great!

I tried this too, a few months ago, and am now a total convert to tea in a pot! So great, the little tips and tricks we can share here. Thanks to everyone who posts here -- even the smallest idea may be something that someone else has never heard about before. This thread is such a treasure trove!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4488 on: September 26, 2015, 11:46:54 PM »
Superspendy awesome date night with husband: awesome restaurant and drinks, comedy club and drinks, plus babysitter, BUT:

* Wore a free dress and necklace I found in a trash pile on the curb and totally got a compliment on the dress from a stylish girl at the comedy club
* Got free tickets to another show at the club for liking them on Twitter.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4489 on: September 27, 2015, 01:42:17 AM »
Got the battery in my iPhone 5 replaced for $70. Well worth it as the battery now lasts more than an hour. (My less Mustachian husband was encouraging me to get a new phone, but I couldn't justify $80+ a month compared with my currently free phone ($30/month plan, and I get a $30/month phone subsidy from work).

My husband unplugged the Kinect part of his Xbox because he never uses it amd it was just drawing power.

We saw Everest today, had $8 movie tickets (and I book online to accrue extra Cinebuzz points = closer to free movie tickets).

My birthday is next month so yesterday we spent about $30 on a couple of little things (mostly stationery, which I love). I had to keep a straight face when the girl at Kikki K said she had been on the Tiffany website picking out her birthday present. When we left I reminded my husband that he is to never buy me Tiffany.

Had two hours' notice that relatives are staying tonight, and will want feeding, so I have a chook in the oven. Dinner plus lunches plus stock from the carcass.

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #4490 on: September 27, 2015, 04:24:31 AM »
Got the battery in my iPhone 5 replaced for $70. Well worth it as the battery now lasts more than an hour. (My less Mustachian husband was encouraging me to get a new phone, but I couldn't justify $80+ a month compared with my currently free phone ($30/month plan, and I get a $30/month phone subsidy from work).

My husband unplugged the Kinect part of his Xbox because he never uses it amd it was just drawing power.

We saw Everest today, had $8 movie tickets (and I book online to accrue extra Cinebuzz points = closer to free movie tickets).

My birthday is next month so yesterday we spent about $30 on a couple of little things (mostly stationery, which I love). I had to keep a straight face when the girl at Kikki K said she had been on the Tiffany website picking out her birthday present. When we left I reminded my husband that he is to never buy me Tiffany.

Had two hours' notice that relatives are staying tonight, and will want feeding, so I have a chook in the oven. Dinner plus lunches plus stock from the carcass.

We saw Everest in 3d last night (ducks punches- we had a voucher and it was only our 2nd date night this year!) it was good, but annoying that the actors were lying around in the snow without their goggles and masks on- I know it was probably so you could read the actor expressions, but it annoyed me. Though, I suppose had it been properly realistic, you'd have no idea who was who or what they were saying if they didn't take off their face gear.
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #4491 on: September 27, 2015, 04:33:17 AM »

Resisted the urge to buy an adorable ear cuff that I didn't need and probably would never wear

Took water bottles out the past few days so I wasn't tempted to buy a drink

Was running a little short on decorations for a mini hens party/gathering, so DS and I used printer paper to make cutout snowflakes that were adorable and matched the decor

For my contribution to the party, I used some of our beautiful excess veggies and fruit to make a great healthy savoury platter, rather than buying more.

Was inspired to declare October a maximum moustache challenge month (was reading old MMM posts and got inspired), have figure out that if I buckle down and increase my savings by $100/pay I can move my NW $0 date from Dec 31 to Dec1 this year. I'm soo looking forward to having those student loans paid!

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4492 on: September 27, 2015, 04:50:54 AM »
Mum and Dad will bring us a visit today, and a programmable thermostat + a wooden parasol. I'll bake them something tasty to say thanks.

I'm on a laundry marathon. After weeks of rainy weather, it's sunny today and the coming days so I'm using this opportunity to dry everything in the sun now I have the chance.

Used an "expired" pack of soycream last night (it had been stored in the fridge so I figured it was save). Nobody is exhibiting symptoms yet so I guess we'll live.

The cuttings I took from some house plants are making roots. Little tip: a pinch of aspirine in the water (or use water in which willow branches have grown roots), functions as rooting hormone. Double the plants for the cost of an aspirine and some patience.
My '16/'17 journal

Tigerpine

• Stubble
« Reply #4493 on: September 27, 2015, 06:53:39 AM »
Was inspired to declare October a maximum moustache challenge month (was reading old MMM posts and got inspired), have figure out that if I buckle down and increase my savings by $100/pay I can move my NW $0 date from Dec 31 to Dec1 this year. I'm soo looking forward to having those student loans paid!
There will soon be a thread for that very purpose!  The current thread for September is aptly titled, "Savetember," and I expect that the new one will come soon with a similar play on the word "October".

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4494 on: September 27, 2015, 07:35:43 AM »
Bikes to the sporting goods store and bought parts to fix my bike to be street legal again.  :)

The bad:  I saw that they have a 55% discount on a road bike that I wanna buy...

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4495 on: September 27, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »
Took sandwiches and a thermos of coffee with us on our shopping outing.  Having his own coffee enabled the Hub to resist the siren song of the cool coffee machine at WINCO which wants a dollar before it will be your friend.

Catbert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4496 on: September 27, 2015, 02:09:52 PM »
Skipped the dryer for a load of clothes.  It was a load where 1/2 the items I never use the dryer on anyway.  Not sure I'll do it again.  I have solar panels which generate (yearly) all the electricity we need.  It's an electric dryer so not a lot of incentive.

When I canned tomatoes today I saved the skins and dehydrated them until crispy.  Then turned them to dust in an old coffee grinder.  I read about this somewhere on the internet -not sure where.   Tomato dust can be added to soups or rice or whatever to add a bit of tomato taste.  Or you can just add to hot water for instant tomato soup.   

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #4497 on: September 27, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »
There will soon be a thread for that very purpose!  The current thread for September is aptly titled, "Savetember," and I expect that the new one will come soon with a similar play on the word "October".

Awesome, thanks!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4498 on: September 27, 2015, 04:55:41 PM »

I think the plan is "Socktober", like Socking away money. =P

Awesome, thanks!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4499 on: September 27, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »
When I canned tomatoes today I saved the skins and dehydrated them until crispy.  Then turned them to dust in an old coffee grinder.  I read about this somewhere on the internet -not sure where.   Tomato dust can be added to soups or rice or whatever to add a bit of tomato taste.  Or you can just add to hot water for instant tomato soup.
Ooooh, I had forgotten about that - I have a bunch of tomatoes that I should do that to!

Me today: Used my kmart biking points, doubled coupons and bottle returns from found bottles to make a $2.12 profit buying 4 pie pumpkins, urgently needed cold meds (advil, chloraseptic spray, cough drops), a yogurt, some kashi cereal, and mouthwash. Did it all on my bike, no driving.

Making bread right now from whole grain I got free from Craigslist from some survivalist's Y2K stockup nonsense and ground in my craigslist vitamix, making stuffed pumpkins for dinner.

Breakfast was old fashioned oats with some homemade applesauce from my apple tree mixed in. Lunch was leftover homemade eggplant parm, we had leftovers from using just half of the world's biggest eggplant, which was only a dollar!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:20:40 PM by Jakejake »