Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2363031 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4350 on: September 10, 2015, 11:19:41 PM »
Cut my own hair this morning, then washed with baking soda and vinegar as usual.
Pulled chin hairs out myself with tweezers (ok, so I've never paid someone to do that, but some people do :) )
Brewed 2 cups of tea using one tea bag in my cute yellow tea cup
Bought veggies through local food co-op

Wait .. I could have written this post myself! Had a déjà vu moment there for a sec!

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4351 on: September 11, 2015, 12:27:44 AM »
Cut my own hair this morning, then washed with baking soda and vinegar as usual.
Pulled chin hairs out myself with tweezers (ok, so I've never paid someone to do that, but some people do :) )
Brewed 2 cups of tea using one tea bag in my cute yellow tea cup
Bought veggies through local food co-op

Wait .. I could have written this post myself! Had a déjà vu moment there for a sec!

It's what all the cool kids are doing ;)
Parenting 4 kids while keeping costs under control.

Visit my journal:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/4-kids-in-new-zealand-let%27s-see-how-this-goes/

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4352 on: September 11, 2015, 08:52:38 AM »
Using produce from my garden, canned a mexican tomato sauce to eat over rice.  It's kind of like salsa, but more taco-y.  I ended up with 6 pints after dinner last night and packing my lunch for today.

Also.  I packed a lunch for today. :)
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #4353 on: September 11, 2015, 11:05:41 AM »
My son saved me money today!!

We wanted to go to a indoor playground, but he was so tired that we didn't go. This saved me the entrance price of €4, but probably also €10on food and drinks.
I speak and understand English, but my writing is not so good. I'd like to learn to write better so if you see a mistake that is really stupid, PLEASE tell me so that I can learn from it! Thank you very much :)

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #4354 on: September 11, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »
Rice and beans (and hot sauce) for every lunch this week!

Good thing I like it.
Liberté, Égalité, Frugalité!
-------------
I'm on that free Amazon gift card grind: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/dantownehall (obvious referral link)

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #4355 on: September 11, 2015, 04:03:45 PM »
Packed snack for Little Brother to take to daycare, because otherwise they charge $2.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4356 on: September 11, 2015, 05:01:05 PM »
Made a trip down to the Goodwill Outlet today, since my sister ended up taking my mom to her PT appointment and I had an unexpected free afternoon.  For $5.52 I got:

- a sturdy Glacier's edge duffle bag that I can use to bring home books/other heavyish stuff from China during our December trip. We have too much large luggage already -- need smaller pieces that can be packed with heavy stuff and that won't exceed the 50lbs/bag limit

- a solid plastic cutting board.  I have several thin ones that I use for most things, but needed something for heavier duty chopping/carving

- a container with a lid that I can use for compost.  The bags we are allowed to use have a tendency to leak.  I may just do away with them altogether, because they are expensive.  We have a garbage disposal, so it is pretty easy to rinse out the container after I dump it. 

- a no-skid pad to put under my bathroom rug, which has a tendency to slip about

- a collapsible umbrella.  Found one on my previous trip but needed another for DS

- a large wicker basket with cloth liner.  Will use this for library books in the living room

I was kind of bummed that I didn't find some of the other things on my list, especially office organization stuff and a table cloth, but pleased with what I got at the prices I got it for.  I was also very lucky because about half of what I found I had pulled out of some bins JUST before the workers came to take them off to dumpster land. 

I also signed the release form absolving the insurance company (and myself) of any liability for my son's involvement in the car accident.  They will send us a check for $250. And I submitted DH's receipt for the medical treatment he got in China related to the accident that we paid out of pocket already -- will get roughly $250 back for that, too.

Wherever you go, there you are

rweba

• Stubble
« Reply #4357 on: September 11, 2015, 06:21:09 PM »
I cancelled my Netflix account!

I am a little bit proud of it because it's something that's considered a "necessity" by my peers(even the more frugal ones who don't have cable), but I realized that I have only watched one show in the past year(House of Cards) and there is basically ALWAYS something else I would rather be doing in my free time  - I simply don't have time for it.

Tabitha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4358 on: September 11, 2015, 07:24:29 PM »
Hubby took his jacket to the tailoring shop. $7 to repair the zipper, instead of the cost of a replacement windbreaker.
Dinner was from the freezer, and lunches brought from home.

We're good at frugal solutions and everyday frugal.  Where we trip is the "I wants", and we tend to enable each other instead of reinforce each other. Something to work on.

T

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4359 on: September 11, 2015, 11:00:22 PM »
I was out of the country for several months, so I put my car insurance on "storage."  Today I got the check for the money I saved: $57.  While I was gone I also unplugged the fridge, and the reduction in my electricity bill revealed that running my fridge costs $30 a month.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4360 on: September 12, 2015, 06:44:36 AM »
I needed some more coriander but resisted the temptation to get a tiny packet in the supermarket across the road from work yesterday just so that I'd have some. Instead I walked (well, strolled, can't make myself rush on a weekend morning and even strolling it's still less than 15 minutes) to the Turkish supermarket today and bought the big jar for a quarter of the price of the little packet.

Since I was passing anyway I also called in to my friendly neighbourhood tailor to make sure they could fix the zip on a handbag. It's an old one I dug out when I was looking for stuff for the flea market last week and apart from the zip and buckles it's still perfect. They might not be able to fix the buckles but as long as the zip is replaced it'll do for my needs.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4361 on: September 12, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »
* About to sew a button back onto spouse's pants.
* Goodwilled some clothes, housewares, and LPs that didn't sell the other day.
* Sent jeans off for major repair -- which will cost the same as buying new really, but will cost less in time, energy, and either gas or return shipping to have to find a new pair that fits well.
* Saved $26.32 via coupons and online rebates last night, which included a free (small) jar of olives.

[Link to free olives coupon here.]
ETA: ^Note: I've only managed to get that coupon to print from the browser (and not get stuck in a download loop) in Firefox.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:33:59 AM by ShaneD »

rweba

• Stubble
« Reply #4362 on: September 12, 2015, 01:47:07 PM »
I was out of the country for several months, so I put my car insurance on "storage."  Today I got the check for the money I saved: $57.  While I was gone I also unplugged the fridge, and the reduction in my electricity bill revealed that running my fridge costs $30 a month.

Really? I was gone for a month, did NOT unplug my fridge and the total electricity bill was less than $15. I am sure it depends on a lot of factors but $30 seems like a lot of electricity for just a fridge.

But maybe electricity is more expensive where you live (or you have a more powerful fridge). Or I have no idea about electricity costs.

Either way, that's a very good tip though,I will make sure to unplug everything next time!

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4363 on: September 12, 2015, 02:04:09 PM »
Well, the $30 probably wasn't the fridge alone — it was also the electricity I use in a month.  That is, when I go away and use no electricity except for lights on a timer, and I unplug the fridge, the bill goes down by $30 a month.  For past trips, when I left the fridge on, the bill went down a bit, as I remember, but not a whole lot.

Of course to unplug the fridge you have to empty the fridge.  I had some frozen soup in the freezer and som ebutter in the fridge I thought, "Is it worth maybe $60 or so to keep these in the fridge?  Would I pay that much to keep them?"  So I ate up the soup and gave away the butter.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4364 on: September 12, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »
Made waffles at home for brunch instead of going out to a local restaurant.  My new waffle maker is paying for itself already! 
Frugalite in training.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4365 on: September 12, 2015, 02:26:46 PM »
We are away on a little mini-vacation for the weekend to a cabin we get for practically free, so while away I've done the following:

*Spaghetti dinner the first night with meat and cans of tomato sauce brought from home. Diced up an onion and a pepper and added my own spices. Bought 2 baguettes.

*Did grocery shopping up here, which I don't normally do but it was a short notice trip. I brought staples from home like: peanut butter, cans of tuna and salmon, pickles, oatmeal packets, homemade pancake mix, eggs, etc. Planned each meal out so that I was buying minimal fresh food at the local, fancypants grocery store.

*Kids and husband went for a 2 hour walk, on the trails and by the creek and watched a local race.  This afternoon, we will go to the lake. There are many tempting and expensive things to do here, but we won't be doing them.

*Relaxing, reading and enjoying the last of the nice weather.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:29:45 PM by 1967mama »

BriarRose111

• Stubble
« Reply #4366 on: September 12, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »
I went to our annual Art Fair in town here, which is actually a very nice event along a walking path by the river.  I looked but didn't buy a thing.  And still had just as good of a time.

Tigerpine

• Stubble
« Reply #4367 on: September 12, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »
I resisted the urge to get a 12 pack of beer on the way home from work today.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #4368 on: September 12, 2015, 07:13:52 PM »
Walked to the grocery store instead of driving, even though it's all uphill and it's hot today.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4369 on: September 12, 2015, 08:12:42 PM »
Walked to the grocery store instead of driving, even though it's all uphill and it's hot today.

Good for you! I have a large hill right before my street on the way home from the grocery store and I haven't been brave enough to try it on my bike.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4370 on: September 13, 2015, 08:34:18 AM »
We did a neighbors BBQ, and offered to be the ones to buy the groceries (we got reimbursed) so that we would get the 6% on our rewards CC, and the bump toward meeting our spending minimum to get the $150 signup bonus.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Tabitha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4371 on: September 13, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »
I replenished my spice cabinet by buying from the local bulk food store. 10herbs and spices plus other things for $6. Later, at the grocery store I pointed out the prices to Hubs, explaining why I get them at the bulk store. We watched the lady in front of us do a double take and put two bottles back 👍

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4372 on: September 13, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »
We've been dealing intermittent A/C issues all summer. The fan would go but it wouldn't blow cold. Started out working for days and not working for a few hours, over the last 3 weeks I'd say we've had working A/C about 24 hours total and we're dealing with 100 degree daily temperatures.

DW and I basically refused to buy a new A/C until someone could identify the issue, multiple techs and two companies and a duct sealing we have a more efficient running A/C which we've been told has had a few parts replaced. The end result being about $50 in service fees, replacing a contactor for $312 (we looked this up and the part actually costs $10, but I guess a little professional installation is worth piece of mind), and the most experienced tech a day later bypassing a timer switch cause our Nest already has it. A tiny yellow wire and the unit roared back to life instantly.

$362 > $3-5k

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #4373 on: September 13, 2015, 11:04:15 AM »
I dug out the remnants of my stick deodorant and smooched it on top of my new stick deodorant.

Instead of buying the cute little doggie poop bags at the dollar store...using the bags I was going to toss from the grocery store.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4374 on: September 13, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »
Resisted the temptation to stop at the grocery store and buy more chocolate peanut butter ice cream even though I am recovering from oral surgery and deserve it.

Aki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4375 on: September 13, 2015, 03:38:48 PM »
Didn't buy $15.99 Calvin Klein winter coat from Goodwill.  I'd just dropped off a trunkload of donations but this coat was cute, although a size too large.  And I already have a winter coat.  I figure if I still wanted it next weekend and it was still there, I could always go back! 

mrteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #4376 on: September 13, 2015, 04:43:10 PM »

Me too. I've either walked/biked exclusively since moving to my new apartment a couple weeks ago. My car is used (almost!) exclusively for work commuting.

Tabitha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4377 on: September 13, 2015, 05:44:30 PM »
Walked to the grocery store in the rain to get ingredients for dinner. It was a nice walk and September rains aren't cold yet.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4378 on: September 13, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
*Used up a 10lb bag of potatoes for dinner (big family). Baked them all and made broccoli and here's sauce for a topping or spaghetti sauce that I've thawed from the freezer.

*Chain cooking- the oven is hot with the potatoes in so while they were cooking I mixed up a double batch of banana bread with the 5 spotty bananas. - the element on my glass cooktop is hot so I did the cheese sauce, then the broccoli, and now a dozen eggs for lunches this week.

*Had a moment of feeling slightly badass since I'm tired from cleaning up the cabin we spent the weekend at, packing up, driving 2 1/4 hours home and unpacking. It would have been very easy for me to order in:-)

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4379 on: September 13, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
Dried tomatoe to store some of the bounty

Made banana bread

Made no bake protein energy bites - passed the DH taste test

Harvested tomatoes from the garden

Tested sandals repaired with Shoe Goo - low stress test, but so far holding together

Froze leftover brownie before it spoils/stales anymore

I save butter wrappers to grease baking pans. Recently I started using them as parchment squares too.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4380 on: September 13, 2015, 10:42:21 PM »
*Husband is painting 12 year old son's room his favourite colour -- ORANGE! as in 1970s orange. Its awful but he is delighted! I'm keeping my mouth shut on this one.

If he is into cars, orange paired with light blue is a classic colour combination. Think Gulf Racing, Porsche at Le Mans. My husband and I  are renting but we'd love to have a reason to paint a room up like that.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4381 on: September 13, 2015, 10:48:15 PM »
*Husband is painting 12 year old son's room his favourite colour -- ORANGE! as in 1970s orange. Its awful but he is delighted! I'm keeping my mouth shut on this one.

Brings back fond memories. I lived in an orange dorm room for two years. Didn't get depressed.

I initially read this as "fondue memories" which was equally fitting. Still laughing. :D

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4382 on: September 13, 2015, 10:51:01 PM »

If he is into cars, orange paired with light blue is a classic colour combination. Think Gulf Racing, Porsche at Le Mans. My husband and I  are renting but we'd love to have a reason to paint a room up like that.

Thanks for this great tip. I'm going to google that with him tmw. Would make great accents!

NataliaDuma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4383 on: September 14, 2015, 02:14:19 AM »
I try my best to live a frugal life and live within my means and for today I didn't allow myself to be tempted to buy outside of my budget. I avoided buying food that I won't be able to finish anyway and today I went on to shop for clothes at my favorite consignment shop.
We Offer Slight Used Designer Cloths at http://luxeconsignmentstore.com/

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4384 on: September 14, 2015, 09:40:35 AM »
I plugged in my sewing machine at 7am and fixed the 5 inch long tear in the backpack I use for bicycle commuting/hauling my work clothes, instead of continuing to look like a bag lady or buying a new backpack.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4385 on: September 14, 2015, 09:58:59 AM »
* Transferred to bank account $25 in consignment clothing sold and $25 for a purse I'd bought for 50 cents.
* Planning out how many and what types of various containers we already have (suitcase, duffel bags, cooler, plastic bins, etc) that can be used as-is in lieu of moving boxes.
* Culled more DVDs and CDs to be sold.
* Decided not to buy a couple of new shirts to replace shirts that are less lovely but still perfectly fine.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4386 on: September 14, 2015, 10:08:07 AM »
Got in at 3 am from my weekend roadtrip.  Made myself ge up early enough to scrounge snacks to pack for lunch. 

Small thing, but it took significant  will power.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4387 on: September 14, 2015, 12:02:34 PM »
-Did a phone survey with a car insurance company I decided NOT to go with. They gave me a $25 amazon gift card in exchange. Estimated to take 30 min, but it only took 10. Also, the lady on the phone was nice, so it was an entertaining and easy call.
-Filled out employment paperwork.
-Got REALLY EXCITED when I figured out my company offers a 401k match.
-Using up some Bok Choy that's getting floppy. Stir fry for dinner!
-Bought a relative a gift with a gift card I already had.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4388 on: September 14, 2015, 01:06:53 PM »
I save butter wrappers to grease baking pans. Recently I started using them as parchment squares too.

This is beyond brilliant.  I will never throw away a butter wrapper again.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread:  I used dried corn gifted to me by a neighbor and an old pant leg to make a microwavable hot pack for my back.  Feels wonderful.  I also told her to keep an ear open to see if anybody was throwing away a coffee grinder as ours has died.  We have a lovely frugal network going.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #4389 on: September 15, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »
Recently:

Saved 28% last night at the grocery store using paper coupons, e-coupons and shopping the sales.

Traded peaches and apples from DH's trees for farm fresh eggs this morning.

Batch cooking in the slow cooker today and tomorrow and will freeze extras.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, uneaten and unused has been labeled and placed into the freezer this month.  Tomato paste, homemade pinto chicken chili, etc.

Next Monday I will donate two bags of items for a tax deduction.

There are three items in the mending pile.  So glad I paid attention in home economics class!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4390 on: September 15, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »
I remembered to bring a 10% off lifetime loyalty card with me when I bought scrubs. Turned out to be very important, as they replaced their computer system and don't have anyone stored digitally anymore.

dcozad999

• Bristles
« Reply #4391 on: September 15, 2015, 12:33:21 PM »
In the last 5 days I have kicked ass!

$40/month      Switched Auto and Homeowner's Insurance to Geico (will drop another $10/month when speeding ticket drops off in a few months).
$13/month      Called to drop Internet to lower tier. They gave me 20% discount on the current tier for 1 year which brought it within $2 of the one to which I was going to switch.
$320/month    Paid off the car loan!!!

Total monthly expenses saved = $353

Tigerpine

• Stubble
« Reply #4392 on: September 15, 2015, 06:30:27 PM »
Finally got my ex-girlfriend off my phone plan!  Switched to the lowest data plan right away...we'll see what the savings will be, but I expect it to be pretty significant.  Am contemplating switching off from my 5 year old smart phone to a regular "dumb" phone.  The only thing I ever use my smart phone for is Google Maps.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4393 on: September 15, 2015, 06:36:12 PM »
*Dinner from Budget Bytes
http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/02/one-pot-beef-mushroom-stroganoff/

Wow, ok. That's the only thing I can think of for today. Had some emotional things to deal with on the kid front today, so I guess that's why. I spent most of my day dealing with issues. And my husband has been away since Sunday, so I'm on my own dealing with these things.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4394 on: September 15, 2015, 07:57:21 PM »
*Dinner from Budget Bytes
http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/02/one-pot-beef-mushroom-stroganoff/

Wow, ok. That's the only thing I can think of for today. Had some emotional things to deal with on the kid front today, so I guess that's why. I spent most of my day dealing with issues. And my husband has been away since Sunday, so I'm on my own dealing with these things.

<3 I hope it's all turning out okay, and you feel at peace with it all. Some days, dinner alone is a huge accomplishment! Don't downplay it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4395 on: September 15, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »

$40/month      Switched Auto and Homeowner's Insurance to Geico (will drop another $10/month when speeding ticket drops off in a few months).
$13/month      Called to drop Internet to lower tier. They gave me 20% discount on the current tier for 1 year which brought it within $2 of the one to which I was going to switch.

That is huge! Well done, dcozad999.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4396 on: September 15, 2015, 10:07:03 PM »
* Sold a book on ebay.
* Assembled two of our Halloween costumes from thrift store finds.
* Today's storm refilled our rain barrel.
* Walked to the grocery store.
* Ordered two more Belkin Conserve Power Switches. Been using the Belkin timer socket for my cell-phone charger and LOVE IT, and want to put these in the laundry room so the washer and dryer can be shut off completely when not in use. Not sure when we'll make our money back on electricity savings, but the environmental benefits are worth it for me.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

dorothyc

• Bristles
« Reply #4397 on: September 16, 2015, 02:58:09 AM »
My wife and I were travelling with Alaska Airlines this past weekend, and she had a bag that needed to be checked, for an additional charge of $25 per flight.
I packed a large backpack intending to carry it on, but when I got to the boarding gate the airline were offering free baggage hold check in if you didn't need your bag on the flight. I checked my bag for free, saving 50 dollars and the hassle of finding an overhead bin slot.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:00:07 AM by dorothyc »

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #4398 on: September 16, 2015, 04:17:55 AM »
Bought 3 pairs of shoes today for work- my size and style (flat slip ons), for a grand total of $8! Ugly beige colour, but I couldn't care less, they're functional, and they'll last me a year hopefully.

Finished the last of a huge brown rice/bean/corn/tuna salad that I made and have been eating for lunch this week (getting a bit sick of it tbh, but pushed through).

Plugged my electric toothbrush recharger in for 30 mins, will gve me 2 weeks of brushing

Cut my own hair, in the time honoured put-into-ponytail-and-hack-at-it method. Worked out surprisingly well.

Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

dcozad999

• Bristles
« Reply #4399 on: September 16, 2015, 07:25:49 AM »

That is huge! Well done, dcozad999.

Thank you!