Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1653671 times)

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4000 on: July 29, 2015, 07:44:06 AM »
Well, I managed two no-spend days but today ended up a bit more expensive. Had to pick up bike (gears broke - it's only a three-gear bike and if it had broken stuck in 2nd I'd have left it but 3rd was too stiff for me :) ) so that was 21 gone. And then I went to the wool shop. I've been invited to a friend's 40th on Saturday at short notice. She's a very old friend but I haven't seen her for a few years. Decided to spend this evening and tomorrow evening knitting her something as a gift but didn't have enough of any particular wool to do what I wanted so I went to buy another couple of balls to use with what I do have. Luckily they do still have the same stuff and I did have a voucher so only had to pay 7 out of pocket. If it works out, that'll be a fairly reasonable price for a present, I think. The party is a barbeque in the garden and I've offered to bring a tomato tart since I know I'm getting tomatoes in my veg box tomorrow and have everything else on hand. And since it's on the weekend, my monthly train ticket will cover the cost to where my friend lives (about two hours away). She's 6km from the train station then but I'll go an hour earlier and walk there and consider it my usual weekend outing. Might be able to cadge a lift from someone coming back to the station. Anyway, money spent today but at least I've only spent on those two things and didn't end up stopping to buy food while I was out and about (walking past that sausage stand was sooo hard). And I'm not going out to meet people from choir this evening, since I'll need the time to be at home knitting. That 7 on wool is going to save me at least twice that on a meal and drinks. :)

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #4001 on: July 29, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »
I use mason jars for everything.  I rearranged contents this weekend so I can keep the old blue ones and pass on the newer ones to friends who can.  Also filling them.  Cocoa into one.  Corn starch in another.  I am going to move the jars anyway.  I might as well move them full instead of moving empty jars and grocery boxes! 

Just wondering if you are using a moving company? Hubby's company moved us and hired the movers. we were NOT allowed to transport ANY food in glass jars. It took me an extra day of packing to empty and vaccume seal all my dry goods into bags and wash out the jars so I could move them.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4002 on: July 29, 2015, 12:18:32 PM »
No moving company. Hoping with all this consolidating I'll fit everything into two car loads (hence the money saving). Might not be possible but it will be close. Might enlist friends with a truck. Definitely just one truck load.

That would be so frustrating to have unpack and repack food like that and then again in a new place. 

I use mason jars for everything.  I rearranged contents this weekend so I can keep the old blue ones and pass on the newer ones to friends who can.  Also filling them.  Cocoa into one.  Corn starch in another.  I am going to move the jars anyway.  I might as well move them full instead of moving empty jars and grocery boxes! 

Just wondering if you are using a moving company? Hubby's company moved us and hired the movers. we were NOT allowed to transport ANY food in glass jars. It took me an extra day of packing to empty and vaccume seal all my dry goods into bags and wash out the jars so I could move them.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #4003 on: July 29, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »
Over the last few weeks I've been trying to retrain my hair to work without using shampoo for hairwashing. My hair is fairly long - about 4 inches past my shoulders.  I was trying the baking soda solution followed by vinegar rinse, but my hair still looked dull and lifeless.

I have a lot of pure essential oils left over from my more spendy days, and although I use the tea tree and lavender frequently, I have a few other types I wasn't using up. I decided to use a couple of drops of rosemary essential oil applied with damp hands at the rinsing stage and just skip the baking soda and vinegar.

My hair looks and feels much better today. I hope it continues to improve.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4004 on: July 29, 2015, 06:15:38 PM »
* this is from last week but got a free stroller for our toddler from a neighbor. She put it out on that street (her kids are preteens) and was thrilled that we wanted it. Ours was stolen last winter and we haven't felt like buying a new one, but sometimes our 2yo is just wiped out and strollers are grand for that.

* went back to the grocery store after reviewing receipt and got back $22.18.  One clearance item was charged full-price and one bulk item had the wrong PLU (my fault)
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #4005 on: July 29, 2015, 06:28:18 PM »
I have over 7k in my checking account, but I'm not spending a DIME until Saturday. I've paid off all my debt, but now I'm going to have to starting investing my monthly excess. YNAB is very effective.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4006 on: July 29, 2015, 06:40:11 PM »
About to use up another lip balm (I usually have a couple on the go, one in my bag, one in my coat pocket, one in the bathroom, etc).

It's wound up all the way but there is still product left in the cavity. So I use my (and later a cotton bud) to scoop it out and apply it.

I can keep each lip balm going for another week by doing this.

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4007 on: July 30, 2015, 05:29:15 AM »
Yesterday, I listed several items on Ebay for sale.   I also had lunch at home, but I caved and got a take out salad for dinner.
The day before, I picked up some part-time work that I'm very excited about for fall. 

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4008 on: July 30, 2015, 09:34:50 AM »
Started baby shopping at garage sales.  It's too early for me to really want to be shopping, but by the time it is when I planned on doing it, garage sale season will be over.

Paid $10 for 20 different newborn and 3-month old sleepers/winter one-pieces. 

Paid $20 for 5 swaddles and sleep sacks. These brands retail for $20 each.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4009 on: July 30, 2015, 10:27:47 AM »
Heading for another no-spend day today, although it was very difficult when my colleague announced she was going out to the post office. I so badly wanted to give her money to buy me some chocolate in the supermarket on the way back. But I resisted (and we're kind of reinforcing each other at the moment so since I didn't get sweets, she didn't smoke - she's four days in to not smoking and it was the first afternoon where she really, really wanted one so that was a good outcome all round).

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #4010 on: July 30, 2015, 01:05:46 PM »
About to use up another lip balm (I usually have a couple on the go, one in my bag, one in my coat pocket, one in the bathroom, etc).

It's wound up all the way but there is still product left in the cavity. So I use my (and later a cotton bud) to scoop it out and apply it.

I do something similar with lotion.  I have a bottle on my night stand, in my office desk and next to the recliner.  When the level is too low for the pump, I cut the bottle in half and use the remnants.  It lasts for at least another week.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #4011 on: July 30, 2015, 01:51:36 PM »
I just read RootOfGood's Eating Our Way Across Mexico post and didn't eat anything while reading it!!
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4012 on: July 30, 2015, 04:54:36 PM »
For lunch I ate what I jokingly call "kickback food" provided by a textbook rep (to whom I genuinely did need to talk and who represents a company that's selling our students everything they need for a course for $35, so relatively guilt-free).

Then I brought home extra kickback food and added some stuff from the garden for chef salads for supper - fed both of us.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4013 on: July 30, 2015, 05:14:16 PM »

It's wound up all the way but there is still product left in the cavity. So I use my pinkie (and later a cotton bud) to scoop it out and apply it.

I do something similar with lotion.  I have a bottle on my night stand, in my office desk and next to the recliner.  When the level is too low for the pump, I cut the bottle in half and use the remnants.  It lasts for at least another week.

My mum does that!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4014 on: July 30, 2015, 05:24:06 PM »
Received estimates for our tax refunds yesterday: $5500 all up. (Please, don't jump on me for 'overpaying' tax. The Australian system is different, plus my husband and I have a lot of work-related deductions.)

And our updated HECS (government student loans) balances show we've paid off more than $5000 in the last financial year through compulsory payments, so I was able to update our balance sheet.

Had $150 worth of stuff in an online cart. Deleted everything except the $18 item my mum had requested and paid for, and which was the only reason I was on the site.

My husband found out he can lower his motorbike insurance if he takes an advanced rider training course, so he requested that for Christmas.

And I've been reading all the eat your pantry/zero waste/cut your grocery budget threads. When we got married our weekly grocery maximum was $100. Now it's become the minimum. At first that was okay, because we were saving money in other areas and it was kinda nice not to have to pinch pennies while buying food. But I'm simply buying too much, so that's the next thing in my sights.

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4015 on: July 30, 2015, 05:30:03 PM »
Sold my bbq smoker I never use on Craigslist for $225. I also spent $5 on Taco Bell, but hey, still $220 ahead!

Oh, and I have been bringing my lunch all week.

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #4016 on: July 30, 2015, 07:02:55 PM »
The auto insurance company decided to do price optimization.  They raised my policy 9.7%  One day later, I switched.  Overall savings, about $230/yr on auto and home.  And if the new insurance company does price optimization I'll switch again.  Not bad for sending one email!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4017 on: July 30, 2015, 07:52:43 PM »
I needed T-shirts for yoga class. Found two huge racks of Ts at Goodwill priced at $2.17. Bought 4, brought them home and washed them. You know you're Mustachian when you walk into Walmart, look at the clothes and say: "Too expensive!"

DonkeyGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • ...with two donkeys and a mare
« Reply #4018 on: July 31, 2015, 01:45:51 AM »
I needed T-shirts for yoga class. Found two huge racks of Ts at Goodwill priced at $2.17. Bought 4, brought them home and washed them. You know you're Mustachian when you walk into Walmart, look at the clothes and say: "Too expensive!"
Lol! I am with you there!

I made a foray to Value Village today and found a lot of nice household items in great shape for super cheap. I found a real Pyrex casserole glass dish with its top (not made of the explode-y new materials they use), a bread pan, a scale, and a computer lap desk. I also found a pair of shoes I really wanted, some Keen's brand Mary Janes that were exactly my size and nearly new, but they wanted $40 for them. Better than retail, but still far to much for second hand shoes. Then I noticed that a metal prong was missing from one of the buckles (is that why they got donated?), so I asked for a discount and they gave me half off! I am convinced I can make a tiny replacement prong out of a piece of paperclip or some wire. Now I have a super comfortable pair of nice shoes I can wear to my new office job next week. I will probably need to make another thrift run for more office wear once I get a sense of what the unofficial dress code is. Plus I have a ton of stuff to donate.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #4019 on: July 31, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »

It's wound up all the way but there is still product left in the cavity. So I use my pinkie (and later a cotton bud) to scoop it out and apply it.

My mum does that!

<<high fives>> Right on!  :D

acepedro45

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4020 on: July 31, 2015, 04:28:14 PM »
I jumped on the Amtrak train just before it left the station. I decided because it's Friday I would buy an overpriced beer for the ride home.

As I walked up to the bar, the bartender snarls, "We're closed. I made the announcement five minutes ago."

#Blessed, because she was rude enough that I decided the train shouldn't get my money.

Seriously, she is a monster. We just pulled into the next station and she's yelling "Leave, leave!" at those who have the temerity to congregate at the bar.

Justin1911

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4021 on: August 01, 2015, 01:42:28 AM »
Today we did final preparation for my wedding that is tomorrow. Instead of paying for a DJ, I bought a bluetooth speaker for $230 and built a free playlist on my phone. The rehearsal was tonight and all the music was perfect. Not only did we save on the DJ cost (the ones we looked at quoted us closer to $600 for the event), but I also gained an awesome outdoor speaker that I can keep for future use or sell to recoup a lot of the money spent. The Speaker is a Klipsch KMC-3 if anyone cares to know. It performed amazingly well in both the outdoor and indoor settings I needed it for. The people at the rehearsal were shocked by how much bang for the buck we were getting from that little guy.

Also, my bride and I bought all the food and she prepared everything herself (along with some help from family) and we are borrowing all the kitchen and serving equipment from my church for free. The savings we are getting my not using a catering service is over $2500. We are also using a free venue thanks to a nice family home in the country, another savings of at least $1000.

Total cost of the wedding is barely $4000 for us because we did so much of the work in house. We think that's pretty darn good considering what some people pay to host over 100 people for a ceremony, full sit-down dinner, desserts, drinks, games, party favors, tuxedos, dress, etc.

G-dog

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4022 on: August 01, 2015, 06:15:11 AM »
Today we did final preparation for my wedding that is tomorrow. Instead of paying for a DJ, I bought a bluetooth speaker for $230 and built a free playlist on my phone. The rehearsal was tonight and all the music was perfect. Not only did we save on the DJ cost (the ones we looked at quoted us closer to $600 for the event), but I also gained an awesome outdoor speaker that I can keep for future use or sell to recoup a lot of the money spent. The Speaker is a Klipsch KMC-3 if anyone cares to know. It performed amazingly well in both the outdoor and indoor settings I needed it for. The people at the rehearsal were shocked by how much bang for the buck we were getting from that little guy.

Also, my bride and I bought all the food and she prepared everything herself (along with some help from family) and we are borrowing all the kitchen and serving equipment from my church for free. The savings we are getting my not using a catering service is over $2500. We are also using a free venue thanks to a nice family home in the country, another savings of at least $1000.

Total cost of the wedding is barely $4000 for us because we did so much of the work in house. We think that's pretty darn good considering what some people pay to host over 100 people for a ceremony, full sit-down dinner, desserts, drinks, games, party favors, tuxedos, dress, etc.

Dude, this may not be the right thread - this is "what SMALL things....". These seem pretty big to me! 😃

Congratulations!

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #4023 on: August 01, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
Spent the day yesterday at the court house on jury duty. Deliberations lasted well into the evening so the court ordered pizza for the staff and jurors so I saved on the cost of supper. It was the first time I had takeout pizza in years and I now remember why I make homemade pizza. Yuck!
Loving the early retired life!
MORE WITH LESS

www.loosechangeliving.com

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #4024 on: August 01, 2015, 09:33:41 AM »
Shaved the dog for the first time today. It went well, except for the legs. Didn't try the head.

Electricity company is giving a 5% discount if you reduced your consumption by 10% yesterday between 3 and 7 pm. Hard to do, since we keep the house at 86, but we turned it up to 87, turned off fans, unplugged laptops, and left for a while. We'll see.

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4025 on: August 01, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »
Today we did final preparation for my wedding that is tomorrow. [...]

Amazing and congrats.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #4026 on: August 01, 2015, 03:44:37 PM »
Bought a 25 lb ssac of pinto beans and started soaking a pound.

RobinAZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4027 on: August 01, 2015, 11:07:31 PM »
Hired an HVAC company through Home Depot to replace our AC/heater which was almost 20 years old and died.  Middle of AZ summer :-). Also contracted with them to add insulation to the attic (when we bought the house, the inspector said we were down 60%). 

They installed the AC, which is ice cold, and our electric usage is down 15% from last year.  But the never came back to do the insulation.  I have called repeatedly, it has been a month... So today, I drove over to Home Depot, priced the DIY option for the insulation ($325 for materials and blower), and then got the HD manager to call the approved HD contractor to immediately refund the ... $1358 they were charging.  $1358!!!!!

1. Turns out they are NOT authorized by Home Depot to do insulation;
2. This Mustachian stuff must be wearing off because Intold my husband "Screw that, we can learn how to do it ourselves on YouTube!!"

So, we are saving $1000!! I am so excited!!! 

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4028 on: August 01, 2015, 11:32:41 PM »
When I returned a rental car today I mentioned to the check in guy that the upholstery on all the seats was really dirty, below the company's usual standards, but I hadn't noticed it when first getting the car because it was in the dark parking garage.  He took a look and asked me to give him my receipt back, whereupon he said he was taking $60 off the bill and issued me a new receipt.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4029 on: August 02, 2015, 02:11:54 AM »
I tried out a tip and loved it: I tried using hair conditioner (dollar store) instead of shaving cream for shaving my legs. It works like a dream, and now I have a use for all those bottles of conditioner that were going unused!!

A friend swears by using olive oil instead of shaving cream.  Although, he's a man and its for his face not legs.  Might work fore someone though.

Didn't work for me - clogged up my razors. :)

DrSweden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4030 on: August 02, 2015, 04:23:51 AM »
Decided to switch from contactlensen discarded each day to the kind you keep fr 30 days. It will save me about 400 $ ear year.

I am also looking into the possibility of cutting my own hair. My very frugal father have been doing this for the last 10 years.

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #4031 on: August 02, 2015, 05:06:48 AM »
I tried out a tip and loved it: I tried using hair conditioner (dollar store) instead of shaving cream for shaving my legs. It works like a dream, and now I have a use for all those bottles of conditioner that were going unused!!

A friend swears by using olive oil instead of shaving cream.  Although, he's a man and its for his face not legs.  Might work fore someone though.

Around here, cheap supermarket shaving foam is 0.40 for a 250ml can, while cheapest olive oil is 3.45 for a litre...

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4032 on: August 02, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »
Shaving cartridges are ridiculous!  I ended up getting one of the vibrating Mach 5 razors for sensitive skin.  About the same prices as the other Mach 5 stuff, but I find I can get 15 or so shaves from each cartridge instead of just 3 or 4 with most others.  Plus the last time my parents were in town I was out of work and they bought me like a year's supply.  So technically it was free.
Frugalite in training.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4033 on: August 02, 2015, 05:48:01 PM »
As of August 1, my husband and I are 'counting every dollar' this month.

It's been a while since we've done this so it will be good to see if we can identify a few spending areas where we can improve.

This morning, made breakfast, packed lunches (with a cold brick for my husband because he's not going straight into the office. In the past he might have used that as excuse to buy lunch), pegged out a load of washing, skipped ironing my dress... that's frugal, right? I saved all that electricity... :)

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4034 on: August 02, 2015, 07:12:21 PM »
Shaving cartridges are ridiculous!  I ended up getting one of the vibrating Mach 5 razors for sensitive skin.  About the same prices as the other Mach 5 stuff, but I find I can get 15 or so shaves from each cartridge instead of just 3 or 4 with most others.  Plus the last time my parents were in town I was out of work and they bought me like a year's supply.  So technically it was free.

Do you know about Dorco? They're great and much cheaper.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4035 on: August 02, 2015, 08:05:23 PM »
+1 for Dorco razors!

Husband and I have made the switch. Just ordered myself some new cartridges today. My husband has a heavy beard, and he gets over a month of shaves from one blade! Amazing!

http://www.dorcousa.com

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #4036 on: August 02, 2015, 08:16:55 PM »
In the past few months we've cut the grocery bill for the two of us down from $650 a month to $350. I've been whittling away at it, and yesterday I only spent $62 for the week's groceries. I used $13.25 of coupons for stuff we would have bought anyway.

(I facepunch myself for never budgeting or even trying to spend less on groceries before this, though. What a waste.)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4037 on: August 02, 2015, 08:23:46 PM »
*Made a gluten free friend some easy fudge for a birthday cake as a surprise ... melt 3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, pinch of salt, stir in 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla when melted, and pour into a lined 8x8 pan. Easy peasy! Its hot out and I'm recovering surgery so this is all I could muster, but I think the surprise will still be worth it!

*Turned back the a/c now that I'm feeling more comfortable post-op

*Enjoying food brought by kind family members and then will switch to eating food I prepared in advance in the freezer

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #4038 on: August 04, 2015, 01:46:37 PM »

I use (homemade) soap.  Works just fine and i get cleaner in the process.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4039 on: August 04, 2015, 01:59:49 PM »
Sanded and stained our deck instead of hiring someone to do it.

Doesn't look quite as good as "the Joneses" deck next door, but we are pretty pleased.

Bettis

• Stubble
« Reply #4040 on: August 04, 2015, 02:15:24 PM »
I have to do an overnight tour tonight that is closer to my work than my house so after I get out of here, I'm going to attempt to sleep in my car for a few hours instead of driving 30 miles home to drive 60 miles back and forth just a few hours later.  I can still get reimbursed if I don't tell them since they don't know how crazy I am :)  Then I can work from home tomorrow and save another 60 miles roundtrip.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4041 on: August 04, 2015, 07:16:52 PM »
Finally sewed the missing buttons back onto two shirts of mine that my wardrobe has been sorely missing.

Also figured out how to patch a frayed area near the waistband of a pair of my husband's cargo pants - it will involve a piece of an iron-on jeans patch cut from a larger pice that has already been partially used to fix something else. It's blue and the pants are brown, so it's going on the inside.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4042 on: August 04, 2015, 09:38:23 PM »
*Big shop at Costco

*Using no-poo or sham-free for hair washing. Works wonderfully! I mix 1 Tablespoon of baking soda with 1 cup of water. For the rinse, its 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. That much will last several washes. My hair is looking the same as when I was using shampoo (fancy and cheap--no difference to me) TMI: Scalp health much improved.

*Made 2 loaves of cinnamon raisin bread in the bread machine, set out on the front porch to keep the heat out of the kitchen

*Kids using up movie passes they received as Christmas gifts

*Working our way through the chickens from the farmer. One per week will last me the year. Using up this spring's side of beef before October beef arrives (large family)

*Kids are at the beach swimming with their big sister = free

*Feeling much more like myself after surgery last week and feel excited to dive back into Radical Homemaking! (Hat tip to The Goblin Chief for this book recommendation!)

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4043 on: August 05, 2015, 01:07:53 AM »
Glad to hear your surgery went well, 1967mama!
Parenting 4 kids while keeping costs under control.

Visit my journal:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/4-kids-in-new-zealand-let%27s-see-how-this-goes/

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4044 on: August 05, 2015, 01:40:34 AM »
Thanks, homehandymum! nice to feel like a mama again and not a patient! :-)

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4045 on: August 05, 2015, 03:00:52 AM »
I was sick on Sunday and still not great on Monday so didn't cook the planned veggie curry. To be honest still wasn't feeling hungry at all yesterday but I invited someone over and dragged myself into the kitchen, hoping that everything would still be okay. And it was. So pleased I put everything into proper Tupperware containers as soon as I got my delivery last Thursday. Even the chard was still fine, as were the kohlrabi leaves that I'd taken off the kohlrabi. So one giant pot of curry made using a quarter of the biggest onion I've ever seen, the last couple of tomatoes, one courgette, chard, half a kohlrabi plus its leaves, a tin of chickpeas and coconut milk along with various spicy bits and pieces to make it into a curry. And a really delicious one, even if I couldn't really do it justice. Have to laugh that the friend who came over had misread my message and thought I'd be having chicken curry (not chickpea curry) - he went off out to the supermarket to buy some chicken and cooked that separately for himself. Didn't even have any of my lovely Thai curry to go with it, just made up some chip-shop curry from the powder I keep on hand for, ahem, emergencies.

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4046 on: August 05, 2015, 03:08:58 PM »
Spendy day today, but at least I reigned it in a bit. BF went to shop for a new tent, but couldn't make up his mind. When he noticed that the store was about to close, he felt somewhat pressured and was about to buy "the next best" tent just to be done with it. I intervened and we shopped online later, found a much better suited tent, better quality for a decent price. Luckily I had a coupon in my mail somewhere and BF got a bonus for signing up for the newsletter. Few tens saved. Still couple of hundreds spent, though. Can't win 'em all, I guess :-/
Yay, out of debt... period :)
My '16/'17 journal

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4047 on: August 05, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »
*Successfully converted husband to no-poo/sham-free method of hair washing! yay! He says his hair and scalp feel great and the water/baking soda combo was very soothing.

*Quiet day at home with no spending and minimal electricity usage - reading library books, researching a possible one night road trip for next week, eating salad, drinking water

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4048 on: August 05, 2015, 08:15:50 PM »
*Successfully converted husband to no-poo/sham-free method of hair washing! yay! He says his hair and scalp feel great and the water/baking soda combo was very soothing.

I want to switch to this method - did you find the transition period difficult? I'm worried about having to put up with greasy hair for a few weeks while it gets used to not having commercial shampoo.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4049 on: August 05, 2015, 09:53:37 PM »

I want to switch to this method - did you find the transition period difficult? I'm worried about having to put up with greasy hair for a few weeks while it gets used to not having commercial shampoo.

So, chiming in with curly hair- lots of hair, but each strand is thin. I found baking soda mixes far too abrasive. What works for me is "Cowashing", basically, just washing with a special conditioner. Still quite cheap and I avoided the adjustment period. Boar bristle brushed help spread the oil as you adjust, too. Be sure you "strip" the hair if you use silicone-based product. Basically, only silicone containing shampoo will get out a silicone styling product (that whole "like dissolves like" thing in chemistry essentially) so be mindful of what you so to your hair OTHER than washing, because that will determine how well it all works!

Wishing you the best. I'm going on 3 years now and my hair is the least frizzy its ever been (lots less breakage). And cheap to boot!
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.