Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3305084 times)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3750 on: July 06, 2015, 12:10:50 PM »
Yesterday I really wanted donuts, but made some instead (ok, they were more like donut muffins, but they scratched the itch).
How did the doughnut muffins turn out? 

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3751 on: July 06, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »
Pretty good! I dipped half in cinnamon/sugar and sprinkled half with powdered sugar - cinnamon was a clear winner. Made them in mini-muffin tins, which probably made it far too easy to eat the entire batch in a day (with friends!!). http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/baked-cake-doughnuts-51157010
Yesterday I really wanted donuts, but made some instead (ok, they were more like donut muffins, but they scratched the itch).

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3752 on: July 06, 2015, 01:18:41 PM »
Pretty good! I dipped half in cinnamon/sugar and sprinkled half with powdered sugar - cinnamon was a clear winner. Made them in mini-muffin tins, which probably made it far too easy to eat the entire batch in a day (with friends!!). http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/baked-cake-doughnuts-51157010
Nice!  I'll have to consider making doughnut muffins the next time I have friends over for brunch. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3753 on: July 06, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »
My husband tried his hand at making a new dessert last night that only called for egg yolks, so I asked him to save the whites. Added a couple of whole eggs to make scrambled eggs for breakfast this morning.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3754 on: July 06, 2015, 07:35:38 PM »
Hoping posting here will keep me motivated...
*Ate my first zucchini out of the garden!
*Planted some more beans.  Hoping for enough of a harvest this year to can a couple dozen pints.
*Took lunch to work, including some potstickers that have been in the freezer for months and months.
*Made banana bread so as not to waste a couple of sad looking bananas.  Fed most of it to coworkers, but will use the little I have left for french toast in the morning.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #3755 on: July 06, 2015, 07:53:34 PM »
Bought more blueberries to freeze for winter use.
Filled up the grill while cooking supper so now have several more meals prepared that just need heating up in the microwave.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3756 on: July 06, 2015, 08:01:45 PM »
Made ice cream at home instead of buying Hagen Daaz.  Not quite as tasty, but just gives me an excuse to make more and "Perfect" my recipe :D

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #3757 on: July 06, 2015, 10:33:52 PM »
Accidentally harvested a red cabbage, which will be dinner in a day or two.

Ha, I've done that before. "Whoops, that wasn't a weed!" or "Swung a little too hard, there!"

In the meantime, my baggie of museli in the kitchen cupboard at work is saving me a FORTUNE in breakfasts.

Also, the butcher down the road does a wide variety of cut-price meats (goat, lamb neck chops, kangaroo tail) that I'm learning to cook in a variety of ways. When I invite the neighbours around for dinner and board games, we all save!

Eristheunorganized

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3758 on: July 06, 2015, 11:43:52 PM »
Hung some laundry out to dry. Spent no money and found a penny on the ground. Saw I had some tortillas that were coming to their sell by date, so I ate burritos for dinner and froze the rest.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3759 on: July 07, 2015, 12:55:23 AM »
*Used up some cheese that was left at a BBQ party we had

*Started a batch of "Artisan Bread in 5"

*Was given a coupon for a free cup of tea

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3760 on: July 07, 2015, 02:08:22 AM »
Submitted my (Aus) tax return, which, will allow me to claim a payoff benefit for some of my school loans, saving me $3k  (HECSHELP benefit).

Is that the five per cent bonus on payments over $500?

I'm hoping to make the most of that and get my husband's paid off (balance should be $6500 after this tax return) before January, in case it ends.

Oops, sorry for late reply. HECSHELP benefit is for Aus graduates in Math/Science/Education/Nursing fields who graduated after 2010 - govt pays part of your HECS debt for 5 years as long as you are working in the field. As a Sci/Ed graduate/working teacher, I can claim payments for Education and Math/Science each year, which equals about $3500. Cause I pay HECS through the year in instalments, they automatically refund you the same amount (so the money I put in goes to paying off HECS, and I get the same back). Its an awesome, totally unadvertised benefit I stumbled upon a few years ago. Its amazing how people are aware of it. Govt is trying to get rid of it (it is bundled with the bill to remove the 5% early payment bonus that was recently defeated in parliament again - yes!), but its still in play for now.  If you know any math/sci/ed/nursing graduates from the past 5 years, they can back claim.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3761 on: July 07, 2015, 02:13:32 AM »
Submitted my (Aus) tax return, which, will allow me to claim a payoff benefit for some of my school loans, saving me $3k  (HECSHELP benefit).

Is that the five per cent bonus on payments over $500?

I'm hoping to make the most of that and get my husband's paid off (balance should be $6500 after this tax return) before January, in case it ends.

Oops, sorry for late reply. HECSHELP benefit is for Aus graduates in Math/Science/Education/Nursing fields who graduated after 2010 - govt pays part of your HECS debt for 5 years as long as you are working in the field. As a Sci/Ed graduate/working teacher, I can claim payments for Education and Math/Science each year, which equals about $3500. Cause I pay HECS through the year in instalments, they automatically refund you the same amount (so the money I put in goes to paying off HECS, and I get the same back). Its an awesome, totally unadvertised benefit I stumbled upon a few years ago. Its amazing how people are aware of it. Govt is trying to get rid of it (it is bundled with the bill to remove the 5% early payment bonus that was recently defeated in parliament again - yes!), but its still in play for now.  If you know any math/sci/ed/nursing graduates from the past 5 years, they can back claim.

I'm a 2007 comms grad so naught from two, but thanks for the info. :) I shall mentally file it away in case I know anyone who could benefit.

PS. Fingers crossed that bill keeps being shot down. It's not a lot but I'm sick of having HECS hanging over my head, and I want the 5 per cent bonus to stick around while I'm paying it down!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3762 on: July 07, 2015, 10:23:12 AM »
Today, I found out that AMEX is now allowing redemption of reward points at a rate of 1:1 so I cashed out 5000 points for a $50 gift card to the Cheesecake Factory.  That adds even more free stuff to the free Vegas vacation I'm taking in three weeks.  So far, the room, flight, all meals, all shows, and all attractions are completely free.  Should be a fun time!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #3763 on: July 07, 2015, 12:27:06 PM »
Had my truck filled up with partially composted horse crap this morning.  Getting another load on Thursday and will mix it all in with yard waste to get about 5 yards/$100 worth of finished compost for planting veggies next spring.

Have discovered that chia makes a nice thickener/stretcher for yogurt, so instead of getting Greek yogurt, I'm buying or making regular yogurt, then adding chia, since I got a ton of it on sale at CostCo a while back.  Pretty sure the math works out to make it cheaper per calorie than straight up yogurt and it changes up the texture too.

Followed through with making the truck canopy rack out of scrap lumber that I mentioned up thread.  Did have to buy some concrete, hardware and one 4x4, but it was less than half the cost of just buying all new materials.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3764 on: July 07, 2015, 12:52:52 PM »
Made laundry detergent yesterday, hung up laundry today. Day 5 of drinking only water or tea, so far so good: win for my health and my wallet. Another day of resisting the urge to buy food or groceries, just cooking stuff out of the cupboards. But also biking to work, a no spend day. Well, other than going to the dentist - not free unfortunately, but I'll pay for that later ;)

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3765 on: July 07, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »
A couple days ago, I biked to the market and got a giant case of plums for 2 dollars. Between yesterday and today I got them sorted into hand eating quality ones, got the rest pitted, and made most of it into 15  pints of jam to be used to flavor homemade yogurt. I pureed them using a vitamix my husband got for my birthday last month used off craigslist for $60. The pectin and sugar for the jam were free at kmart for biking to kmart, and the canning jars were from classico spaghetti sauce which I got super cheap with coupons a while back. Classico uses real mason jars, and the price for the sauce was less than buying new mason jars.

I made a batch of yogurt last night using free milk I earned from kmart.

The rest of the plums I made into the most amazing sorbet in the world, using a no salt/no electricity donvier ice cream maker I got years ago at a thrift shop for $6.

Between yesterday and today I also picked about a gallon of blackberries in the public park across the street. Nobody else in my area seems to pick berries - the whole park is just for me! We have a fairly large mideastern population, so it's common to see women out picking wild grape leaves but they don't touch the berries.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3766 on: July 07, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »
 - turned a bunch of random leftovers into potato cakes for supper tonight
 - sorted out all my mason jars so I know what I have for canning season, thought I was going to have to buy more...nope just had to unpack them :)
 - Am drafting an email to send out to friends and family giving them the heads-up that we are doing a "Homemade" Christmas for everyone this year and encouraging them to join us. At the very least, it gives everyone the heads up and they can plan/spend accordingly fully knowing our gifts will be homemade.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3767 on: July 07, 2015, 03:30:51 PM »
This one has been a two-week effort:  filled up the gas tank last payday and promised to make it last until the next payday.  Currently still have just under a half a tank from that fill-up :) :)  (Approx $50 saved)

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Typical Ghoul Next Door
« Reply #3768 on: July 07, 2015, 03:53:22 PM »
I'm making lasagna using up some discounted clearance cans from the store of tomato paste, and adding in pumpkin puree (also a cheap dent can, cooked and frozen extras from last week's pumpkin ravioli, so it had spices and fresh garlic already in it) to bulk up the vitamins/fiber and stretch the tomato sauce. I loooove pumpkin puree in tomato-base, and will be using my other dent can of pumpkin to make a cream of tomato/pumpkin soup most likely. It is a lovely complementary flavor, and I'd have never tried it if not for the dent cans!

Using up some leftover yellow squash and green peppers in lasagna too. The squash will be sliced and layered in with the cheeses, and chopped up the pepper and then cooked with the meat.

I've got three small potatoes to use up before they go bad this week, so I'll probably boil and mash them. Ditto on some celery; will be chopped and frozen today.

Packed the husband's lunch every day the last 3 months (okay, missed one day). Today's lunch was leftover homemade pizza (roasted red pepper, caramelized onion, pepperoni, black olives, fresh mozzarella and sweet basil from my herb garden). I'm really proud of my pizza since I've finally perfected the perfect crust (hand tossed type with crisp outside) that is super easy and tastes AMAZING.

Husband turns the A/C off when he leaves for work in the morning, and I don't turn it on until around 4pm most days (and I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, so that's saving quite a bit). I don't turn on any lights either; just open the curtains.

flygal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3769 on: July 07, 2015, 08:38:53 PM »
Hung 4 loads of laundry.

Sauteed up chanterelles that we foraged from the back yard.

DH replaced the gas tank ($16) and carburetor ($30) on a "free to good home" Craftsman push mower that wasn't working.

Scrubbed shower with homemade cleaner.

All in all a good day :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3770 on: July 08, 2015, 01:43:22 AM »
*Found $1.59 while cleaning out 2 junk drawers today. Also found enough pencils, erasers and rulers to get us through our next years of homeschooling. 

*Used up leftover chicken to make fajitas tonight -- kids were raving about it. I just googled "Fajita Seasoning" and tried the first one that came up.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3771 on: July 08, 2015, 08:00:11 AM »
Moved ourselves! This included a whole bunch of cost savings. The most obvious one: didn't use a moving company. We also bought a modem used from a friend so our internet is pretty cheap and we don't have equipment rental fees. We got boxes from a friend who owns a small company and packs and ships a lot. Unused boxes, so they're super easy to transport and use, and all we had to do was some tech help. Washer and dryer I already owned and had stored at a family member's house.

So far costs have stayed minimal for the move. The modem, dryer vent hose, those clamps for the dryer hose, and a shower rod.

Now to clean like a maniac and get my deposit back!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3772 on: July 08, 2015, 08:48:01 AM »
Heating the chili I made yesterday from scavenged vegetable, beans and marked down chorizo.  Planning to top it with cornmeal dumplings for dinner tonight.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #3773 on: July 08, 2015, 08:50:23 AM »
Home made pizza (with fresh home made dough). There were limited pizza topping options, but we had bacon and spinach (from the garden). We had cheese, but not the right kind - cheddar, not mozzarella. Used it anyway. Absolutely delicious, quick, and easy.

Candace

• Bristles
« Reply #3774 on: July 08, 2015, 09:12:20 AM »
I am so seriously resisting cravings by thinking about how much I don't want to fritter away money on junk food. So I didn't stop at the convenience store on the way to work to blow $3-4 on chocolate. I haven't gone to the vending machine at work. Luckily there's nothing really good in there.

It pisses me off when I think of how much money I waste on binge food when I go for a couple of days and give myself permission to eat brownies and cookies etc. I can easily spend $4 - $7 a day on this stuff, especially if I buy individual pieces of cake at the supermarket. I could pay less per slice by buying a whole cake, but then I would eat the whole cake over a day and a half or so.

So I've been good to my wallet and my ass. However, yesterday there were packaged free samples of "whole grain" chocolate fudge Pop Tarts in the break room. Why anyone would bother with even pretending to eat whole grains once they're eating Pop Tarts is beyond me, but it was chocolate and it was free. I ate two of them, but at least I didn't have to pay for them.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3775 on: July 08, 2015, 10:48:53 AM »
I am so seriously resisting cravings by thinking about how much I don't want to fritter away money on junk food. So I didn't stop at the convenience store on the way to work to blow $3-4 on chocolate. I haven't gone to the vending machine at work. Luckily there's nothing really good in there.

It pisses me off when I think of how much money I waste on binge food when I go for a couple of days and give myself permission to eat brownies and cookies etc. I can easily spend $4 - $7 a day on this stuff, especially if I buy individual pieces of cake at the supermarket. I could pay less per slice by buying a whole cake, but then I would eat the whole cake over a day and a half or so.

So I've been good to my wallet and my ass. However, yesterday there were packaged free samples of "whole grain" chocolate fudge Pop Tarts in the break room. Why anyone would bother with even pretending to eat whole grains once they're eating Pop Tarts is beyond me, but it was chocolate and it was free. I ate two of them, but at least I didn't have to pay for them.

Grains, particularly wheat, are addictive.  They break down to exorphins (externally derived version of endorphins) and cross the blood-brain barrier and light up the opiate receptors in your brain.  I know this because I have heart disease and grains plus sugar drive dislipidemia (poor lipids) and Metabolic Syndrome more than any other single factor.  So I had to give up grains.  And it was freaking hard.  As someone with experience with real addiction (alcohol), I can state with some certainty that giving up grains is just as difficult as stopping drinking.  Making a clean break is very hard, but also the most successful approach.  Check out the Wheat Belly books by the cardiologist William Davis for more detail and science.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:25:23 AM by tyort1 »

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3776 on: July 08, 2015, 10:58:44 AM »
*  brought lunch of pasta with homemade heirloom tomato sauce (leftover from dinner last night)

*  got a small raise at work and set up ally account to put the proceeds to and watch it grow

*  and the big one . . . CUT UP THE CREDIT CARD!!  (eek)  I still am working on the balance, but finally feel stable enough to let it go.  (I will readdress the benefits of credit cards when the balance is paid - for now I want it gone.)

TrMama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3777 on: July 08, 2015, 11:37:21 AM »
Treated the kids and myself for lice using the electric comb I bought for these recurring bouts. Saved $10/person over buying the pesticide shampoo.

However, I'm still not super excited about this particular saving method. I cannot wait for this particular phase of childhood to be over.

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3778 on: July 08, 2015, 02:13:31 PM »
*  brought lunch of pasta with homemade heirloom tomato sauce (leftover from dinner last night)

*  got a small raise at work and set up ally account to put the proceeds to and watch it grow

*  and the big one . . . CUT UP THE CREDIT CARD!!  (eek)  I still am working on the balance, but finally feel stable enough to let it go.  (I will readdress the benefits of credit cards when the balance is paid - for now I want it gone.)

lunahsol,

You just keep making forward progress! I really enjoy your updates.

Odd One

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3779 on: July 08, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »
*hung a load of laundry on drying rack

*eating down the freezer -- adventures with ground beef for dinner

*found $2 in car and added to my coin jar in the house

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3780 on: July 08, 2015, 06:32:47 PM »
I've been a bit soft the last couple of days, turned the heater on a few times as the temp has dropped to 4 degrees C (39F).

This week I've been focused on money in a logistical, rather than practical, ways. Payroll at work has been taken over by another department, so there have been missing payslips, incomplete payslips, etc.

My husband and I have both had our pay days changed, so I've been double-checking everything to make sure all is in order. (Last time that happened at my husband's work they temporarily lost his eight-week annual leave balance.)

I saved $35 this morning by not buying the two-port USB wall charger I decided I needed for my office. I fancied once so I didn't have to change cords between charging devices. It's the sort of thing I'd have bought without a second thought once upon a time. (My husband is a black hole where phone chargers are concerned. I shudder to think how many he has 'donated' to hotels over the years.)

clifford4970

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3781 on: July 08, 2015, 06:41:02 PM »
I am currently taking summer course at my university so I can graduate in December.  I am taking an online course that requires 2 different books.  One was $139 new, so I rented the electronic version for $34.  The other was over $200 new with no electronic version and the cheapest used copy I could find was still over $120. 
My wife is currently taking summer courses as well, and so each Wednesday, we have been meeting at home and we both head out to campus, and while she goes to class, I go to the library to check out the book to read the chapter and do my homework each week.  Not only am I saving money, I am getting my homework done with zero distractions and find I have enough time before my wife gets out to get on MMM :)

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #3782 on: July 08, 2015, 06:44:32 PM »
My son's Montessori school has field trips in the summer.  They require the children to buy a special shirt to wear out on field trips.  Due to my son's age (about to turn 4) he'll only be attending a single field trip.  So I asked today to borrow a shirt for that day because to avoid spending $15 on a shirt he will wear exactly once.

They had a spare to loan us.  $15 saved.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #3783 on: July 09, 2015, 03:45:59 AM »
They're showing The Last Unicorn at the cinema this evening - a much-loved childhood film and I think it would be fantastic to see in on the big screen. But I'm trying to keep in mind a fantastic quote I saw the other day.
Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most

Similar to MMM's taking from your future self idea really but somehow, right time, right way of expressing it or whatever, that quote really struck me. So if I think about it like this:
What I want most vs. what I want now
Stop spending so much money and lose weight vs. going to cinema
Going home after work to eat already mostly prepped vegetable bake  vs. buying cinema ticket, popcorn and drink
Cycling home from work vs. taking tram to get to cinema on time

Well, I won't go and I won't feel bad about it because I'm working towards what I want most.

flygal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3784 on: July 09, 2015, 07:30:40 AM »
Balked at spending $3.59 for a can of split pea soup.  Bought a package of dried peas ($1.65) and cooked them up with onions and tomatoes from the garden and a few bay leaves ($.79 for the pack, yea Mexican grocery store).  Now, for the cost of 1 hr 20 min, I had better soup than I wanted and 3 servings in the freezer for later cravings. 

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #3785 on: July 09, 2015, 08:59:50 AM »
Balked at spending $3.59 for a can of split pea soup.  Bought a package of dried peas ($1.65) and cooked them up with onions and tomatoes from the garden and a few bay leaves ($.79 for the pack, yea Mexican grocery store).  Now, for the cost of 1 hr 20 min, I had better soup than I wanted and 3 servings in the freezer for later cravings.

Not accounting for expenses in garden (fertilizer, seeds, etc) you are paying yourself about $11.89/hr.  I factored in SS, medicare, 15% tax bracket, and 0% sales tax (since I don't know what it is).  Garden expenses reduce how much you are paying yourself; sales tax and higher tax bracket would increase it.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3786 on: July 09, 2015, 11:29:19 AM »
I manually remove worms and eggs from my broccoli plants every day I can stomach the squish!  There are several factors influencing my choice not to use pesticides but I have to admit that a large one is money. My stoop garden is barely breaking even.  If I bought pesticides for the vegeables then I might as well just buy vegetables.

Worms are just on the leaves right?  Not actally IN the broccoli?  right?  I may have to eat it all steamed and not fresh...

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3787 on: July 09, 2015, 02:01:19 PM »
Yesterday I ordered a children's portion while out for lunch with my team during an offsite visit. They all teased me about it, but my lunch was half the price of their's and I didn't spend the 2 hours driving back moaning about how I ate too much.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #3788 on: July 09, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »
Called and had my Mother Earth News subscription changed to digital only.  $5/year less, and eliminates the waste of paper as well.

Ran out of horse antibiotics one day early, but asked the vet and he said it was fine if the horse missed the last day of meds, so saved about $25 on buying a whole new bottle.

Got my truck loaded up with partially composted horse crap while out at the stable this morning.

Studied some photos online of a piece of horse training equipment I've been thinking of buying, and figure I can make the same thing for about $20 worth of materials, vs. paying $70 to order it from the UK, or $200 to order it domestically (seriously, it's just some rope and snaps and a piece of fleece).

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3789 on: July 09, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »
Studied some photos online of a piece of horse training equipment I've been thinking of buying, and figure I can make the same thing for about $20 worth of materials, vs. paying $70 to order it from the UK, or $200 to order it domestically (seriously, it's just some rope and snaps and a piece of fleece).

Sounds like a business opportunity to me!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3790 on: July 09, 2015, 03:10:50 PM »
Walked to the store in search of a small appointment calendar for keeping track of stuff.  Saw some but they were not cheap.  Came home.  I will try in another month when the Back-to-School sales start.  They will be everywhere for about $1.00 then.

getgoing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3791 on: July 09, 2015, 10:01:42 PM »
My partner and I are both somewhat picky eaters, so we typically throw away most of the broccoli stems. A few weeks ago, I decided to put an end to this, and started the habit of chopping up and freezing excess broccoli stems for future use. Today was the first time I actually used the stems- in a very yummy broccoli soup. It worked fantastically, and we will definitely be doing this again in the future. It also meant I only needed one broccoli head for the soup instead of two, which is nice.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3792 on: July 10, 2015, 01:39:08 AM »
*washed sheets and hung to dry

*made a humble chill and sourdough bread for dinner -- family devoured it. And so did the 2 kid friends who were over for dinner too!

*made cereal bars for a snack today -- not totally healthy but a nice way to use stuff up:

RECIPE:

Melt 1/2 c butter, 3/4 c peanut butter and 16 oz marshmallows in large pot.
Add 10 cups of "goodies" which can be any combination of the following:
leftover cereal, dry oatmeal, graham crumbs, pretzel bits, craisins, raisins, chopped nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, or ???
Stir into melted butter mixture and press into greased 11x13 inch glass pan (or jelly roll pan)
They are similar to rice krispie squares. Each batch is unique, depending on what you have.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3793 on: July 10, 2015, 12:15:08 PM »
lunahsol,

You just keep making forward progress! I really enjoy your updates.

Odd One

Thank you, Odd One!  Your support really helps :)

For today:
*  homemade lunch of curried lentils
*  found two yoga-related books that I want to read available as free pdfs
*  committing to myself that I will exhaust free resources for yoga and not buy cute outfits & accessories or spend $22 per class, etc.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3794 on: July 10, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »
Bought a pullup bar to install in my garage for $54 on Amazon instead of joining a gym and having recurring monthly payments of $45. 

I tried to find something local via Craigs List, but nothing local was any cheaper than Amazon.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3795 on: July 10, 2015, 12:42:10 PM »
Bought a pullup bar to install in my garage for $54 on Amazon instead of joining a gym and having recurring monthly payments of $45. 

I tried to find something local via Craigs List, but nothing local was any cheaper than Amazon.
I used two 4x4s with 1 1/4" holes and a length of pipe to put one out back for about $20.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3796 on: July 10, 2015, 01:18:02 PM »

I used two 4x4s with 1 1/4" holes and a length of pipe to put one out back for about $20.

OK, that is pretty badass!  Unfortunately in my case I'd also have to buy the tools to cut things to size, so it would drive up my cost for sure.  Still, having a saw is probably going to be useful again in the future.  Maybe I'll scour crags list for tools next time something like this comes up.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3797 on: July 10, 2015, 02:48:41 PM »
Putting in my mileage using the old pedometer I bought years ago as opposed to buying a gym membership.  I would rather be outside anyway.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3798 on: July 10, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »
*Picked up a stack of books from the library that we had holds on. One was "Pioneer Girl" -- the new annotated autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I've been sorely tempted to buy it but it would have cost $31.25 (link: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Girl-Laura-Ingalls-Wilder/dp/0984504176/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436561885&sr=8-1&keywords=Pioneer+girl)

*Made a delicious omelette for lunch - fried up 1 zucchini, 1/2 a green pepper and some leftover purple onion and put it on top of the omelette.  Also, fried up leftover 5 new potatoes, diced, and added some seasoning salt. Tasted like a meal at a fancy brunch place I've been to.

*Husband made spaghetti from jarred sauce for lunch instead of buying take out for the kids at the end of their week in VBS at church (Vacation Bible School) - was so happy to see him getting on board with MMM ideas

*Created a budget using Dave Ramsey's free budgeting program (link: https://www.everydollar.com)

*Husband had one of those tough conversations with adult son who is struggling, financially, while living on his own for the first time.

*Pulled old stereo out of the mothballs. We had been using streaming radio on the stereo/sound system my husband won at work, and our internet bill starting going over every month due to exceeding gigabytes of data.

(ETA more things from today -- its been a productive day!)

*Made two 9x13 banana cakes out of 6 spotty bananas for a family BBQ we are hosting on Sunday. 

*Chicken on the rotisserie from our recent order of 50 chickens from the farm -- want to be intentional about using these up and not having any left at the end of June 2016. At LEAST one per week.

*Made a big batch of smoothies - enough for 2 kids and my husband and I. The rest, I made into popsicles in our molds and threw them in the freezer for a hot day.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:06:00 PM by 1967mama »

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3799 on: July 10, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
my really cheap $5 sandals broke recently. 
the outsole became detached from the insole when someone stepped on it while I was walking away from them.
I successfully glued them back together using some construction adhesive.
hope they last another 6 months!