Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1570454 times)

kander

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2400 on: February 04, 2015, 11:18:59 AM »
Rented our place in the parkinglot for a half year, so we don't have too pay for it ourselves.
I speak and understand English, but my writing is not so good. I'd like to learn to write better so if you see a mistake that is really stupid, PLEASE tell me so that I can learn from it! Thank you very much :)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2401 on: February 04, 2015, 11:34:34 AM »
Discovered an errant turkey in the bottom of the freezer.  Cooked it for dinner last night.  It tasted slightly freezer burned.  Made mole' sauce.  The Hub (who doesn't know the reason for the sauce) is raving about how good the burritos are.  Just ate another one for breakfast.  Damn, they are GOOD.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2402 on: February 04, 2015, 12:37:49 PM »
Discovered an errant turkey in the bottom of the freezer.  .

I'm giggling, picturing your turkey hiding in the bottom of your freezer, trying to go unnoticed! hahahhah

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2403 on: February 04, 2015, 06:22:40 PM »
Is anyone interested in leftover homemade chicken fingers, taco salad and butternut squash for dinner?

I am, I am!  I'll bring dessert.  How did you prepare your butternut squash?  I usually just roast in the oven.  Not very exciting, and I'm looking for some simple tip and tricks.

Called phone company to ask why I owe them money if I cancelled service on the last day of last period.  They waived the fee.

Have ting cell phone pricing for my dad.  He's currently paying $20, but with ting, he would only pay $9. Does it count if you save someone else money?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2404 on: February 04, 2015, 08:02:48 PM »
Well what happened to me today was not so little I guess. I've actually coined a new term for it - frugasmic!

Yes, it was that thrilling. I stopped by my local Whole Foods to supplement a few things after getting my CSA share. Our local Whole Foods is closing up shop and opening a brand new larger store less than a mile away. I guess it's happening next week, although I had no idea when it was happening. So as I walk in the door, I see a sign that said there was a 25% discount on select items. Some signs were strategically placed around the store, but I didn't pay much attention since it was unclear what was on sale.

Then, as I pass by the meats area, the butcher is yelling out "25% in the whole store, yes you heard that right". I almost had a heart attack when I heard that, paused and took a deep breath, and asked him directly if that meant everything in the store not just what was around the signs. He said, yes EVERYTHING.

Well then...I did a double take, backtracked my way to the front of the store and started loading up on things that would last a while (grains, tuna fish, sardines) and other such goodies. I ended up spending almost $200. I told the cashier I've never spent that much in one visit. Then she said the best was yet to come as that was the total before the 25% discount. She then clicked a button and I started to see the discounts being applied one by one at the register screen in front of me. As that number slowly dwindled down to $150, I could barely contain my enthusiasm.

Such simple things as getting a whopping 25% discount at the grocery store can truly be called "frugasmic" (for the frugally inclined).

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #2405 on: February 05, 2015, 09:57:11 AM »
Broke up with girlfriend.

Actually she initiated it, but it was mutually agreed upon and not a bad thing. Easiest breakup ever actually, we went for dinner after (it was her turn to pay) and chatted and laughed and I think we both felt a sense of relief.

But I will save money. She lives 45 min away and was by far my biggest use of my gas/car/restaurant budget.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #2406 on: February 05, 2015, 10:19:06 AM »
My friend was selling off some things from her closet and I bought a pair of short black boots that were just a little too narrow for her, but fit me perfectly. Great quality, barely worn leather boots for $20.

Oh - and I thought I didn't have anything to pack for lunch, but located a can of soup in the pantry, threw in a piece of fruit and made it work.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:39:58 AM by peppermint »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2407 on: February 05, 2015, 10:31:39 AM »
Tracked my spending for all of January! For the first time in my entire life I know how much I spent, what I spent it on, how much I made. Whoot. Happily I also spent less than I made - so even better!!!!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #2408 on: February 05, 2015, 10:39:04 AM »
Is anyone interested in leftover homemade chicken fingers, taco salad and butternut squash for dinner?

I am, I am!  I'll bring dessert.  How did you prepare your butternut squash?  I usually just roast in the oven.  Not very exciting, and I'm looking for some simple tip and tricks.

Called phone company to ask why I owe them money if I cancelled service on the last day of last period.  They waived the fee.

Have ting cell phone pricing for my dad.  He's currently paying $20, but with ting, he would only pay $9. Does it count if you save someone else money?

I do the roasting thing in the oven too. I just found this new recipe as well though....soooo good!

http://iowagirleats.com/2015/02/02/gluten-free-penne-kale-butternut-squash-sausage/

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #2409 on: February 05, 2015, 10:41:38 AM »
Tracked my spending for all of January! For the first time in my entire life I know how much I spent, what I spent it on, how much I made. Whoot. Happily I also spent less than I made - so even better!!!!

Me too. First time I ever tracked every penny. I loved it. I feel empowered!

My DH was pretty impressed too, and shocked at some of the results.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2410 on: February 05, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »

Me too. First time I ever tracked every penny. I loved it. I feel empowered!

My DH was pretty impressed too, and shocked at some of the results.

SO and I did the same! For the first time we didn't miss anything (we attempted in December but I know we missed some cash expenses). Feels great :D.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2411 on: February 05, 2015, 12:03:38 PM »
Bread didn't rise right.  No sweat, it will be repurposed as pizza crust. 

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #2412 on: February 05, 2015, 12:08:19 PM »
I said NO when my husband offered to buy me chocolat. (Now he's cranky, I guess he also wanted it but tried too make it sound like it was a selfless act :P )
I speak and understand English, but my writing is not so good. I'd like to learn to write better so if you see a mistake that is really stupid, PLEASE tell me so that I can learn from it! Thank you very much :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2413 on: February 05, 2015, 02:57:09 PM »
1) Whole chicken from the freezer, cooked up in crockpot yesterday -- will become chicken-etti for dinner (Pioneer Woman Cooks website)

2) Trying to use a teapot for my loose leaves instead of tea bag - seeing how much extra steeping I can get out of the leaves.

3) Husband had soup for lunch that I had frozen. That single serving so often goes to waste in the back of the fridge, so I'm really trying to get those things frozen when I notice them, before they start growing!

4) Unplugging devices once they're done charging.

G-dog

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2414 on: February 05, 2015, 06:41:37 PM »
Broke up with girlfriend.

Actually she initiated it, but it was mutually agreed upon and not a bad thing. Easiest breakup ever actually, we went for dinner after (it was her turn to pay) and chatted and laughed and I think we both felt a sense of relief.

But I will save money. She lives 45 min away and was by far my biggest use of my gas/car/restaurant budget.

Sorry about the break up. I hope it remains as amiable as it started. Glad it saves you some cash.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2415 on: February 05, 2015, 07:23:46 PM »
Hey, we hit 50 pages of "What small things did you do TODAY to save money?" --- this is my favourite thread to post to and I find myself thinking about it during the day. If I'm not feeling especially frugal, I know I will still need to do something frugal to be able to post here by bedtime! Thanks for the wonderful sharing of ideas!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2416 on: February 05, 2015, 07:46:42 PM »
*  spent only $11 on groceries intended to last the next ten days
*  no extra driving - just to work and back
*  started a "track every expense" notebook

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2417 on: February 06, 2015, 05:28:57 AM »
I have an older car (15 years) that looks pretty bad because the paint has burned off from the sun, but it still runs very well.  It is our main driver.  So here's our thought process:

1.  buy a new, cheap car at $40k+
2.  buy a used car at $12k
3.  paint the old car for $1.2k

Guess which one we chose?  Scheduled to be painted in two weeks. :)

Yeah, I know I don't have to paint it, but my DW is getting comments from judgemental others (JOs) about her car.  If it looks nice, they won't even notice how old it is.

Stash Engineer

• Stubble
« Reply #2418 on: February 06, 2015, 08:00:53 AM »
I'm a little late to the party, but IN!  I started researching low-cost meals (thanks to another thread on this site) to try for next week. 

Chuck Norris is so fast, he can make a fire by rubbing two ice cubes together.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2419 on: February 06, 2015, 09:26:09 AM »
Spent some quality time with the federal Free Fillable Forms and maximized my refund.  There was about $100 that the software wasn't giving me back!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #2420 on: February 06, 2015, 09:38:44 AM »
Walking instead of taking the bus. It was cold and I was very tired, but it was worth it. The walk also helped me to think about some things :)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2421 on: February 06, 2015, 10:50:31 AM »
Made coffee this morning by adding one scoop of new grounds to the old ones the Mr. Coffee.  Can't tell the difference. 

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2422 on: February 06, 2015, 11:59:25 AM »
You guys rock!  1967mama, I agree!  Yay 50 pages!

Lately I've:
Been eating less, losing weight and working out.  This saves on food and alcohol, and on RX because I use less asthma inhaler.

Tonight I'll go to City Market/kroger and retrieve 5 free things.  :D  (Free Friday downloads, Best Customer Coupons, etc.)

Last Sunday's beef roast stretched into 2 dinners, several lunches, and 2 extra burritos.  Pork chops earlier this week turned into 1 dinner and 2 lunches.  I love batch cooking!

I'll use value points at the pump tonight.

Going to pay my truck insurance for the year next week.  I shopped around (I am my own insurance agent) and am going from $46 to $32 (figures rounded) a month for liability only.

Am planning my birthday party and will use coupons for food and the alcohol.  Some will bring food for a pot luck.

I closed the door and heat vents to two unused rooms.  I am still going back and forth on this, as I've read to keep them open for maximum furnace efficiency...?  If anyone has any feedback, I'm all ears.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2423 on: February 06, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »
*  another homemade lunch
*  looking into grocery coupons - the things I typically buy tend to not have coupons, but maybe I can make some changes . . .
*  declared today a "spend nothing" day
*  found $6 and some change in an old purse while I was looking for something else

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #2424 on: February 06, 2015, 12:50:40 PM »
Had cash in the wallet (rare, as I never use cash) and resisted the urge to stop for Mexican or Thai on my way home from work (smelled SO good). Instead, ate some leftovers in the fridge and prepped the falafel for dinner.

Yankuba

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2425 on: February 06, 2015, 01:33:38 PM »
Had cash in the wallet (rare, as I never use cash) and resisted the urge to stop for Mexican or Thai on my way home from work (smelled SO good). Instead, ate some leftovers in the fridge and prepped the falafel for dinner.

Good one. I myself am eating scraps for dinner while Mrs. Yankuba dines out with her lady friends.

My savings - I went to the college library and scanned and emailed 100 pages from a textbook instead of spending $50 on the textbook. It was an hour of time - well worth it.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2426 on: February 06, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
Went to the county tax office and signed off on the application for a conservation easement on our property. With any luck, this will not be a small thing.

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2427 on: February 06, 2015, 02:11:43 PM »
Small things today: rode my bike to work and back (20 km), prepared some leftovers as lunch and dinner, picked up some free garden chair pillows, sold another vinyl record. I've sown the fava beans in front of a south-facing window in the shed, so no additional lighting needed. Will sow my snap peas and snow peas tomorrow in the shed as well. Now I'm just crossing my fingers for a (relatively) warm or at least, frost free February and the key to my new allotment.
Yay, out of debt... period :)
My '16/'17 journal

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Badass Mustachian Twins!
« Reply #2428 on: February 06, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »
Cancelled the recurring 3 week appointment on my calender to get my hair cut. Just bought some Wahl Color Pro clippers and started to buzzcut my hair myself! Saved myself ~$30k over the course of 30 years!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #2429 on: February 06, 2015, 02:47:36 PM »

Sorry about the break up. I hope it remains as amiable as it started. Glad it saves you some cash.

Thank you, I'm sure it will be. :)

Today I called my internet provider and got $5/month off the bill for the next 12 months.

Also had leftovers for breakfast, made more pizza dough, and made DELICIOUS biscuits!

Got a couple Peru books from the Library to figure out the best and cheapest way to kill 5-6 days while getting from Lima to Cuzco. Cancelled the amazon tour portion for other reasons, but it'll save me a few hundred dollars.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2430 on: February 06, 2015, 03:42:18 PM »
Went to a cool exhibit at the Studio Museum of Harlem (on free day) that involved conceptual art postcards. Got four (free) postcards. Gonna rotate them through the frames in Galerie Pissoir (the Ikea frames at eye height above my toilet).

Didn't bring a lunch to work, but instead of buying a meal I nibbled at the remnants of my Mustachian Work Food Stash and just waited till I got home to eat.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Kwill

• Bristles
« Reply #2431 on: February 06, 2015, 04:30:18 PM »
The fan that makes my car warm and defrosts my windshield stopped working on Tuesday night after I hit a big pothole. :-( Yesterday, I took the car to a nearby mechanic and asked him to call me with an estimate before fixing it. $365 and change! Then I called Pep Boys where they said they could fix it for $258 and change. But when I picked the car up from the first mechanic, he'd fixed the problem temporarily by hitting the fan motor a couple times, no charge. This morning I kept my appointment at Pep Boys but was told I might as well wait until it broke again to fix it since it might work for another 5 or 6 months.

So either $365 saved or else $258 saved, or maybe I just saved the interest on the money between now and when the car needs to be fixed properly.

On the way home from work, I thought I'd go to the grocery store and get some more interesting things for dinner than what I had on hand. But the traffic in that direction was especially bad and would've involved a messy left turn where traffic in all directions was backed up into the same intersection. So I went straight home and made tuna macaroni and cheese from pantry items and cheese I had in the freezer. Saved a lot of fuss and whatever I might have spent at the supermarket.

MBot

• Bristles
« Reply #2432 on: February 06, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »
Got a free movie rental and a half-price movie rental for a Friday date night. Total cost: $0.83 (plus snacks, but those were gotten from the discount grocery store).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2433 on: February 06, 2015, 05:21:38 PM »
Cooked a couple tough old chickens I got from a family remember and am storing the meat in individual soup portions in the freezer for quick meals.

Used a Christmas gift- whiskey sticks! I'm excited to see how it turns out, but basically, it is smoked oak pieces you add to whiskey to bump up the flavor. Using a cheap bottle of Evan Williams Black and hoping it turns out Irish ;) If so, that's a $20 savings on the bottle (well, it's like a sale- it's saving on something I didn't need to buy in the first place. But hey, who doesn't love whiskey??)
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #2434 on: February 06, 2015, 09:36:43 PM »
Meal planning and grocery shopping- exciting stuff!!!
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2435 on: February 07, 2015, 08:35:02 AM »
Went shopping for food. Picked up a 4lb Tur-duc-hun at $20 off ($6.99), and used $15 in catalinas to bring the weekly bill down to under $50 :). The Tur-duc-hen is a bucket list thing I've wanted to try for years and with that price it was worth a try.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #2436 on: February 07, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »
Bought nothing to eat at the station. Instead brought lunch from home. Saved us 5 euros.

walked instead of taking the bus. Also saved us € 5!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2437 on: February 07, 2015, 01:52:24 PM »
*  Another no spend day (and no driving)
*  Making meals for the week (bread, potato/corn chowder, tamales & chickpea curry - yum!)
*  trying making hot sauce for the first time! (potential long-term money saver since I go through quite a bit of it at $3-ish a bottle)

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2438 on: February 07, 2015, 02:33:50 PM »
Last week I tried making Hasselback potatoes for the first time -- they were ok, but could have cooked longer.  We had most of a potato left over, and I saved it thinking I could throw it in soup or something.  But yesterday I decided to try baking it again.  Greased a glass baking dish and put the leftover slices in there in a layer.  Added salt and pepper.  Baked until gold brown.  It was delicious!  Better than the first time.  And a nice pairing with baked salmon.
Wherever you go, there you are

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • CFO
« Reply #2439 on: February 07, 2015, 03:26:23 PM »
Friends wanted to go to all you can eat sushi. With tax/tip it's $120 for 4 people. Not a horrible deal by most people's standards cause we can eat. But instead having them over for a home cooked meal I'm prepping. They are bringing booze and dessert and we will have just as good if not better a time for 1/4 of the cost.
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

57 Months Till FIRE Journal - Stop by, or stay a while.....
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fit-finance-when-two-seemingly-unrelated-worlds-colide/

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • CFO
« Reply #2440 on: February 07, 2015, 03:26:40 PM »
I'm rubbing off on my inner circle.
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

57 Months Till FIRE Journal - Stop by, or stay a while.....
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fit-finance-when-two-seemingly-unrelated-worlds-colide/

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2441 on: February 07, 2015, 05:53:05 PM »
1) Juiced a bunch of wrinkly apples and oranges. They weren't off, but just old and unattractive enough that no one would eat them.  The juice was wildly delicious. I learned how to use the juicer today (it was my husband's purchase last year) and will start using it more often, especially when I can find a good, cheap box of apples at the local produce market. Maybe I could even acquire a taste for healthy vegetable juices too?  I want to finally work on the payback of this luxury item ... hubs bought it after watching that movie on the guy who did juice fasting. Sorry, the name escapes me.

2) Picked up a HUGE bag of books and movies from the library.  I grabbed 2 books that looked interesting to me. I tend to not finish books, but with the library, I have ZERO guilt. In the olden days, pre-MMM, I would buy books and am STILL suffering from buyers remorse as I attempt to de-clutter my home and come across books I HAD to have, and then, never read, or never finished <sigh>.

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #2442 on: February 07, 2015, 07:07:14 PM »

Instead of going out to breakfast with my partner on a rare child-free morning (which we only do 2-3 times a year) - we decided to go for a bushwalk/mountain climb - it was wonderful and didn't cost a thing!

Also, we were recently given a queen-size bed for my DS, I was (stupidly) all set to go buy him a new quilt cover for the quilt, when I realised that we have at least 3 quilt covers (our bed is the same size), and just because he is a kid doesn't mean he needs a cartoon-quilt cover, that he will still do just fine with one of ours (all in shades of blue/grey anyway).
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #2443 on: February 07, 2015, 07:14:35 PM »
Made plans with friend to go to a free yoga class tomorrow morning.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2444 on: February 07, 2015, 08:46:20 PM »
Didn't spend any money today, and stayed home all day, so no gas burned.

It was warm outside, so opened some windows and got it up to 65 inside, when we keep the thermostat between 56 and 62.

Processed 48# of green cauliflower that I got from Bountiful Baskets, so we have 19 meals' worth of cauli-rice and a bunch of frozen cauliflower for roasting.

Making stock in the slow cooker out of beef bones and a chicken carcass.

Checked the chicken coop and ta-da!  the first eggs since early November, 7 of them!

Cleaned and conditioned a saddle I purchased with the intent of reselling for a profit, now to get some nice photos and get it advertised.

Watered the seeds I sowed in the greenhouse, so we'll hopefully have homegrown spinach, lettuce and radishes in the next six weeks or so.

Added horse and chicken poop to the compost pile, which turns into fertilizer which turns into organic vegetables.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2445 on: February 07, 2015, 09:10:33 PM »
I was (stupidly) all set to go buy him a new quilt cover for the quilt, when I realised that we have at least 3 quilt covers

Good catch, 11ducks! Love it when that Mustachianism kicks in and breaks me of old habits!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #2446 on: February 08, 2015, 07:00:29 AM »

Instead of going out to breakfast with my partner on a rare child-free morning (which we only do 2-3 times a year) - we decided to go for a bushwalk/mountain climb - it was wonderful and didn't cost a thing!

Also, we were recently given a queen-size bed for my DS, I was (stupidly) all set to go buy him a new quilt cover for the quilt, when I realised that we have at least 3 quilt covers (our bed is the same size), and just because he is a kid doesn't mean he needs a cartoon-quilt cover, that he will still do just fine with one of ours (all in shades of blue/grey anyway).

Absolutely,  I don't know how old your DS is but when mine were little they covered their beds with stuffed animals anyway. Voila, cartoon characters everywhere!

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #2447 on: February 08, 2015, 07:48:15 AM »
As I do every winter morning upon arising...I put on my socks n' shoes & a fuzzy warm jacket & some velvet pants (warm $1 thrift store purchase) under my nightgown.  I check the thermostat in case hubs who has a 'cold fetish' as he ages set it back up before he came to bed.  I tend to set it at 65, he likes 72.  Put on some long johns Dude!  Stoked the woodstove.  Then I hit the coffee pot's on button (no StarSucksBucks for this ol' gal) and unplug the nightlights that hubs insists upon.  No lights have been turned on at this point. 

Next I go into my laundry room & flip on the hanging lantern/flashlight (batteries are cheaper than electricity for these short bursts of light) and in goes in a load of laundry and then I take them out and the one thing that will show wrinkles/need ironing if I don't went in the dryer for 5 minutes and then hung up to air dry and the rest went on hangers (heavy towel outside to dry in the cold air) and the rest to be hung around the woodstove to be dry before anyone else in the house even gets up.  Yes, I even have oil lamps still in my house.  Don't use them all the time but sometimes, yes I do!!!

On days when there is no fire in the woodstove I hang things to dry and shut the small utility room door.  This effectively traps the heat or AC flow from the HVAC vent and things dry quicker.  Anyway, if you show up at my house before 8 a.m. on a cold winter morning you are liable to find someone's fundyundies near the woodstove getting all toasty.  The lantern is turned off in the windowless laundry and I go down the hall to weigh myself and log it.  Then I flip on the lantern over the sink and make my cup of coffee and the coffee is poured into a thermos hotpot to stay hot at no additional charge and the lamp goes off.  After that my feet go up and the 'puter is turned on.  Why yes, I am a cheap-azz skinflinting badassian!!

We are low carbing meat eaters and there is generally a lot of hog being consumed in the mornings but as usual we will intersperse a protein drink this a.m. to lower the overall grocery bill and use up some of the frozen fruit that is in the freezer.  At least two and sometimes three days a week a protein drink is inserted as a cost cutting measure.  We use the extra grease from the meat to put on newspaper instead of buying 'fire starter' for our woodstove, so yeah, I have a grease can in my fridge and I ain't afraid to use it!  ;)

On top of the woodstove this a.m. is a pot of beans for supper tonight.  The meat 'seasoning' that is in it came off a huge $19 pork roast I got a month or so back - we used the woodstove to cook it as well and made pulled pork.  That roast made 8 meals worth of meat that was frozen.  Six pkgs still in freezer. So around $2.45 of meat per meal including tax.  I was busy with parental units and their health at the time or I would've pressure canned it.  Yes, beans have some carbs.  I said low carbs not no carbs.  No cornbread will be eaten with this meal to keep it lower on the carb scale.  Although that's some cheap eats 'beans and cornbread' right there!!  We'll have a salad and some other vegs to round out the meal. 

I try to use my woodstove for as many things as I can as I have an all electric house and the wood is all ready being used to heat up the house. We have wooded acreage that needs cleanup so most of what I'm burning the last two years has been 'already fallen trees' and needs removing anyway as a fire mitigation measure, and so why pay for electricity to heat/dry/cook something when I already have a heat generator going??

Lunch will be a venison steak that was given to us by parents along with spices and sides that also came from them.  One parent has Alzheimer's and no longer cooks and the other is a 'frozen cardboard box in the microwave' kinda cook so they recently cleaned out their freezers and spice shelves and cupboards to my house.  They have a short expiry date on them so they are being used ASAP.

By 9:00 when hubs awakens I'll be dressed to hair and makeup and ready for that protein shake, a couple hours of computer time and an afternoon snoozie while the $1 DVD from a garage sale plays on.  What???  Even I can't keep the electrical monster at bay every time while I nap!!!  Someone will mozy in and turn it off or sit down and watch it while I provide 'white noise' in the background! :)  The car & truck will remain parked today and no out of pocket $'s will be spent!  Heck I'm liable to bust a financial move today & log into Fidelity and Vanguard later today just to see where things stand.  I do that to reassure myself that the market indeed does moves up and down while I stay steady in my financial plans.  Don't think I've ever sold or bought based on what the market was doing that day, week or month. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:53:11 AM by KD »
“Economy is a poor man’s revenue; extravagance a rich man’s ruin.” -Lydia Maria Francis Child, The American Frugal Housewife: Dedicated to Those Who Are Not Ashamed of Economy

"The taste of the bait ain't worth the pain of the hook."-Porter Freeman

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2448 on: February 08, 2015, 08:57:28 AM »
We use the extra grease from the meat to put on newspaper instead of buying 'fire starter' for our woodstove, so yeah, I have a grease can in my fridge and I ain't afraid to use it!  ;)

Great idea!  I saved a lot of beef suet and it's kind of a strong flavor for cooking, so I'm just not getting through it. 

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #2449 on: February 08, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »
I gave my husband my blessings to make a DIY stair gate for our son. (Is stair gate a word? I'm not sure but Google translate says it's the correct word)