Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1653742 times)

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2300 on: January 25, 2015, 02:52:08 PM »
 - packed everything I need for a two week trip into a carry-on so wouldn't have to pay for checked bag - this is huge for me!
 - got all the paperwork printed and singed to open a Questrade account
 - tossed around the idea of going out for brunch this morning - stayed home and made our own awesome breakfast sandwiches instead.
 - Hubby fixed the fan in my mom's laptop saving her several hundred dollars and getting us an invite to a fancy homemade prime rib dinner :)

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2301 on: January 25, 2015, 03:04:17 PM »
I cooked a bag of black beans and made veggie burgers.  Turned out very well. 
Can you post the recipe?
Cut up a bunch of apples from a friend's orchard.  I have enough in the freezer for 7 apple pies now, all for the price of a visit I took anyways to see my friend!
Do you do any prep for freezing?

I'm also curious about these "freezer meals" and freezing fruit. Don't look at me sideways after I ask, but when you put these items in the freezer, what exactly do you do when you take them out? I.e do I need to let the apples or bananas just sit on the counter for a few hours? The frozen meals, is there a method to cooking them after theyve been frozen (oven vs microwave)?

I tried researching online about freezer meals but I keep just coming up with different meals that have been good to freeze. There's nothing about what todo when you actually decide to eat the freezer meal. I almost feel silly asking.

The easiest method is to stick the frozen meal in the refrigerator the night before you want to eat it, then heat however you'd normally heat it the next night (for me, that's usually the microwave). In practice, I very often forget, so the "defrost" setting on the microwave sees a lot of use. It heats slowly enough to thaw without crisping or even really heating up the outer edges that way if you do it by weight (I take an educated guess) or just do it a minute or two at a time. You'll fairly quickly get a sense of how long things take.

I tend to cook with frozen fruit like apples, so say I'm making a cobbler, I just put in the apples or whatever still frozen and check the cobbler at the end of the usual cook time, but figure it might not quite be done yet. For a pie, I cook the filling on the stove, anyway, so I just throw in frozen apples/ berries/ whatever and it maybe takes an extra minute or two. If you make anything like pork and apples in a crock pot, just throw the apples in frozen.

Frozen bananas most often become smoothies or 'ice cream' around here, so they go in the blender straight from the freezer. If I'm using something like frozen pumpkin purée in pasta sauce, I stick it in the fridge to thaw the night before if I remember, but otherwise I just put the frozen chunk in the sauce on the stove and it melts given a little time.
+1
Rural is almost exactly what I do...   
except I usually don't thaw the meal first, but stick it straight into the oven or microwave, or even crockpot, depending on what it is  / size.

Fruit -- I will eat frozen berries and sliced peaches straight, they thaw a bit in my bowl, with my granola, but otherwise, fruit is blended frozen for mock ice cream / smoothies, or cooked with (sauce, cake, cobbler).  Bananas need to thaw for at least 5 minutes, so you can take/cut the peel off.  (I toss them whole into freezer when they are too spotty).
Veg - microwave or steam and eat.   If I freeze "glazed" carrots, they taste better than just "diced carrots".  Raw diced frozen onions straight into the pan.  Same with frozen stock.
Casserole type dishes (lasagna, shepards pie) -- pop in the oven 350'F with a temperature probe set to stop the oven at 165'F. 
Most other dishes can be reheated easily in a large frypan, straight from frozen if you add a little boiling water and cover for the first 5 minutes.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #2302 on: January 25, 2015, 03:07:31 PM »
Turned the rest of the potatoes from my dad's garden into mashed potatoes for lunches.

Made more gift bags from scrap pieces of fabric.

Sold an old telescope I haven't used in ages.

Fixed my hiking boots so I won't need to buy new ones for Inca Trail!

Made boyfriend's birthday gift (with homemade gift bag too).

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2303 on: January 25, 2015, 03:19:58 PM »
Yesterday was a good day:

1) fixed shower nozzle leak for free (just a chair and some time) instead of buying replacement
2) Bought $2.99 used fleece blanket at goodwill, cut up to use as guinea pig bedding (wash and reuse)
3) Played Boardgame at home with family instead of movie
4) Defrosted freezer and organized it, finding food that we are eating today instead of buying more
5) Watched sales to buy Turbo Tax at a (net to me) $10 discount -- it rarely goes on sale.
6) Thought a lot about MMM's post on 2014 spending.  Lots of blown apart assumptions on my end, fresh thinking for the new year about what is "needed" for a family with kids.... two tanks of gas implies a starkly different (yet good) lifestyle... in so many ways... I had assumed that after 7 y.o. kids start needing activities,  friends social visits, or doctor appoints or whatever, that require more driving... but they don't have to, do they... hmmm.....  another thread post....

Last week - adjusted RRSP direct deposit to match my raise, submitted receipts for health benefit claims

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2304 on: January 25, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »
Our housemate came home from a friend's yesterday evening with half a bag of fresh-picked apricots and cherry-plums! (stone-fruit country is about a 2-3 hour drive from here, and they'd done a day-trip to pick fruit).  Housemate said there was no way she was going to get through it all, so we could have it :) 

So today, I picked through and washed all the apricots that were still firm (and thus still mostly unbruised), and put them out on the bench for eating.  And I now have 3 jars of apricot and cherry jam cooling on my bench.
Parenting 4 kids while keeping costs under control.

Visit my journal:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/4-kids-in-new-zealand-let%27s-see-how-this-goes/

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #2305 on: January 25, 2015, 04:53:37 PM »
Used what was in the house to do a bit of cooking to get us through the first week or so back at work and school (holidays... I miss you).  I made -

24 mini sausage rolls (for tiny duck's lunchbox)
4 x large vegetarian rolls (for my lunch)
1 x meatloaf - dinner  and sandwiches
24ish pikelets (TD  lunchbox)
16 banana choc chip muffins (patty cake sized) - TD lunchbox
12 corn & capsicum fritters (my lunch)

Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2306 on: January 25, 2015, 06:27:46 PM »
Went on an exciting trip to visit the Goodwill bin store in the next town.  Packed a thermos of coffee and a box of granola bars (2 boxes/$1.00 from Grocery Outlet) so we would have a snack when we got hungry.  Wound up spending $28.85 at the bin store.  In the old days we would have dropped that much for lunch and then gone shopping.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2307 on: January 25, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »
Had a no-spend weekend :)
Made a couple big batches of dinners from the pantry so I have lunch for at least half the week
Looked up homeowner's insurance quotes & I think I can cut my annual costs by around $400 by raising the deductible -- have to call tomorrow

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2308 on: January 25, 2015, 06:46:57 PM »
*  Made bread and navy bean soup (from dry beans) to use for lunch this coming week. 

*  Bought a less expensive (but still good quality) kitty food and trying it out.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2309 on: January 25, 2015, 07:50:36 PM »
Bought frozen veggies instead of fresh for the green soup I've been making almost every week, since they were much cheaper.

Was rummaging through the frozen halibut steaks and happened to find two that were marked at a lower price/lb than all the rest, so snagged them for tomorrow's dinner.

Ate leftovers for dinner tonight.

Called Discover Card because my card was being declined, and they're doing 5% back on gas this quarter.  Bonehead me, I'd accidentally cut up a new card they'd sent last fall, and was trying to use the old one, which wasn't expired.  They had a new card on my doorstep within 24 hours.  Amazing!

Was dying for a Gatorade after being sick for several days, but waited to get one at the grocery store for .78 instead of like $2 at the mini mart.

Did some online research and found that I can probably coordinate getting a saddle repair done locally if I order the parts, saving at least $60 shipping it off somewhere.

Sunnysof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2310 on: January 26, 2015, 12:54:52 AM »
Went to a community story time with the kids, scored free snacks at the event and a free book for each kid, then went home and created our own shadow puppet theatre, based on what we saw at story time!

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2311 on: January 26, 2015, 01:56:41 AM »
Went to the park and ate lunch packed from home as a picnic. Though we went by car, we saved money not being home and watching TV!

Dropped off and picked up books from library.

Returned items we bought and were no longer useful.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #2312 on: January 26, 2015, 08:52:43 AM »
Rather than ordering a new control board for our oven hood, I took the time to take it apart and figure out the problem.  A switch toggle device was a little loose.  One zip tie later - applied in an unconventional way - and whammo - we have an overhead light once more.   No replacement part nor shipping fees necessary.
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2313 on: January 26, 2015, 12:28:49 PM »
  • Last weekend: fixed a hole in my roof (a falling branch had hit hard enough to break through the sheathing!) for free, using materials I already had on hand from a previous repair
  • Last week: Noticed a late fee due to my bank failing to notify me of an e-bill; called bank to get reimbursement
  • Yesterday: installed a ceiling fan (including going up to the attic to replace the ceiling electrical box with a fan-rated one) -- not only do I save by not having to hire an electrician, I should be able to set the thermostat a little higher this summer.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2314 on: January 26, 2015, 12:58:43 PM »
Got a great balance transfer offer and got approved and moved a big credit card bill with crazy interest to a very low interest. Keeping on track w/ my snowball!

epipenguin

• Stubble
« Reply #2315 on: January 26, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »
I washed my car! OK, it was yesterday, but I'm still proud of myself. Such a small, small thing, but the local car wash always rips me off when I take my car for its once-a-year bath, as they always manage to upsell me on special mold-removing treatment or some such. Elbow grease for the win!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2316 on: January 26, 2015, 02:23:44 PM »
1) Picked up a book on hold at a different library than our usual one. They charge you $1 if you don't pick up your request within 1 week. (its by Simon Wiiesenthal and is called "The Sunflower: On the Possibilities and Limits of Forgiveness" fyi -- heard about it at church last Sunday - amazing to me that I only have to wait 8 days for a book to be in my hands - the old me would have ordered it from Amazon for sure!)

2) Hung a load of laundry outside to dry -- in January! Warm sunny day here in the PNW. Left the furnace off all of last night, and today as well.

3) Crockpot full of pinto beans bubbling away for this week. Will plan some dishes around these beans. Also have a roast going in the 2nd crockpot from our side of beef. Making buns this afternoon for beef dip dinner. Hope to make sweet potato oven fries to go with it. And maybe a coleslaw too.

4) Hemming son's pants this afternoon once they dry on the line.

5) Kids ordering in lots of DK Eyewitness Books for homeschooling. Old me would definitely have been buying up these books. The great thing is, like MMM says, the library is just a storage facility for MY books <wink> and we can take them out over and over again.

6) Reordering "The Worst Hard Time" from the library. I didn't get through it. Even though I will have to wait a while for it, I don't mind since I don't have to pay $$ for it. Again, I definitely would have paid money for this book in the past.

7) Drinking lots of tea from my stash.

8) Kids are climbing the trees in my yard -- free entertainment!

Armer Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2317 on: January 26, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »
Ate the brezel out of a brezel machine rather than acquiring it at the cafeteria. Saved 0.20€ :D

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2318 on: January 26, 2015, 03:10:17 PM »
Redeemed grocery points for 10 cents off per gallon of gas to fill up the car just in case this storm gets really yucky

Got a really nice $1200 couch for $180 from a Facebook buy/sell/trade group (we've owned this house for a year and have never had a living room couch...my family is starting to get annoyed when they come over, lol)

Resisted the urge to find an emergency plow guy for the 30" of snow the media is hyping about -- we might have to shovel 5x tomorrow but it's a free workout!

10dollarsatatime

• Bristles
« Reply #2319 on: January 26, 2015, 06:17:42 PM »
Used online classifieds to find a whole case of regular mouth canning lids for only $72.  (That's only $1.20/dozen)  They cost $2.19 at the grocery store regularly, and I haven't found a cost effective means of ordering from the internet.  So this is awesome!

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #2320 on: January 26, 2015, 08:27:59 PM »
Cashed out my MyPoints account for an Amazon GC. Then I used all but $3 to buy next month's dog food supply.

10dollarsatatime

• Bristles
« Reply #2321 on: January 26, 2015, 08:42:53 PM »
Made "pizza" using spaghetti squash as a base for the crust, home canned tomatoes and sauce, and other bits I pulled from the fridge and cupboards.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2322 on: January 26, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
Trying hard to come up with something today . . .

*  Kitty flatly rejected the new food, so I bought the "big" bag of the regular - which cost more up front, but cheaper overall.

*  Gas prices are down, so even though I had to fill up, it was only $30

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #2323 on: January 26, 2015, 09:34:32 PM »
Sewed myself a duffle bag today for an upcoming trek. :)

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2324 on: January 26, 2015, 09:56:29 PM »
Minor things.

Today is cool and drizzly and about 10degC colder than yesterday.  My bare feet were cold and getting colder.  My slippers were a long heavily-pregnant trek up the stairs, whereas the controller for the heatpump was right there.  Trekked up the stairs.

Baked potatoes for dinner.  While oven was heating up, I par-cooked the potatoes in the microwave for 10min, reducing the overall time the oven needed to be on.

Visit my journal:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/4-kids-in-new-zealand-let%27s-see-how-this-goes/

JetBlast

• Stubble
« Reply #2325 on: January 26, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »
It was a few days ago, but I fixed a squealing exhaust fan in our bathroom. About 30 minutes, some compressed air to blow off dust, a couple paper towels to clean off old grime, and a little oil for lubrication and it's nice and quiet. Much cheaper than rushing down to Home Depot and buying a new fan or paying a handyman to investigate and repair.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2326 on: January 26, 2015, 10:09:58 PM »
Minor things.

Today is cool and drizzly and about 10degC colder than yesterday.  My bare feet were cold and getting colder.  My slippers were a long heavily-pregnant trek up the stairs, whereas the controller for the heatpump was right there.  Trekked up the stairs.

Wow! You climbed the stairs! I am impressed. ;-)

crispy

• Bristles
« Reply #2327 on: January 26, 2015, 10:31:45 PM »
Gave myself a haircut...not a trim...a cut!  I had DH clean up the back a bit, and it looks pretty good if I do say so myself. 

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2328 on: January 26, 2015, 10:45:53 PM »
Minor things.

Wow! You climbed the stairs! I am impressed. ;-)

I know, right?  I deserve some sort of medal.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2329 on: January 26, 2015, 11:24:39 PM »
Baked potatoes for dinner.  While oven was heating up, I par-cooked the potatoes in the microwave for 10min, reducing the overall time the oven needed to be on.

GREAT IDEA! I've never heard that one before and will definitely add this to my repertoire of cooking techniques!

JLR

• Bristles
« Reply #2330 on: January 27, 2015, 02:35:32 AM »
Picked 3kg of plums from the tree next to our local Aldi store. Saved buying fruit for the week.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2331 on: January 27, 2015, 05:28:17 AM »
Gave myself a haircut...not a trim...a cut!  I had DH clean up the back a bit, and it looks pretty good if I do say so myself.
Same, except SO has to do the back still. This haircut cost $50 (the cost of the equipment). The rest will be free!

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #2332 on: January 27, 2015, 07:33:28 AM »
Refilled the reused facial wash bottle that we use for dish washing soap from the gallon jug found in the trash.

Mixed up a batch of amazing stain cleaner (http://moderndaymoms.com/homemade-miracle-cleaner/#) and saved two of DH’s shirts that were destined for the trash since nothing else got the stains out.

Meals for the week planned using marked down meats and sale produce for all.   

Had a stay at home weekend – highlights were a two hour hike on Saturday and trip to the library on Sunday.

Finished updating/reconciling everything for 2014 so I can start our taxes and plan budget for this year.   

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2333 on: January 27, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »
Resisted the urge to find an emergency plow guy for the 30" of snow the media is hyping about -- we might have to shovel 5x tomorrow but it's a free workout!

I am starting to regret this decision....  at least 18" of snow and counting, not predicted to stop until 9 pm tonight.  That's what I get for assuming the media was being dramatic!

NewMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2334 on: January 27, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
I recently got a shorter haircut and realized that I had been using way too much shampoo each time I showered - I halved my usage and haven't even noticed the difference!

StubbledCPA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2335 on: January 27, 2015, 01:31:08 PM »
Forgot to bring a can of soup for my quick office lunch (bought on sale for $.63 a can so hard to beat the price).  Instead of going out for food, I used the bread and natural peanut butter I had in the office desk drawer and a banana from the break room to make some PB Banana sandwiches.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2336 on: January 27, 2015, 02:26:21 PM »
Wearing a wool hat and socks as I type.  Cheaper than turning up the heat.

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2337 on: January 28, 2015, 07:31:04 PM »
Got four heads of cauliflower for $0.99 each last night.

Reheated roommate's leftovers for my own dinner tonight (with permission of course; no clue why he didn't want it).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2338 on: January 28, 2015, 11:14:51 PM »
1) Spaghetti sauce in the crockpot for dinner. Used up 2 wrinkly bell peppers, an onion,  a handful of kale and parsley, the hearts of celery with the leaves and 1/2 a jar of ready made marinara that was languishing in the back of the fridge. Added 2 lb. ground beef from my freezer stash, 1 can of tomato sauce and 1 can of diced tomatoes. Was one of my better sauces:-)

2) A no-spend day! Always a victory for me!

3) Kept the heat off during the day.

4) Rousing round of Trivial Pursuit Jr. with the family this evening - we made teams to make it go faster. I love TP Jr. because the questions are easy enough for kids yet sometimes stump the adults. Lots of multiple choice questions and none about 1930's actors!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2339 on: January 28, 2015, 11:38:32 PM »
*  The cut green onions that I put into water last Saturday have grown up to almost full-size again!  No need to buy new ones for some time if I keep this going!  (They are cheap to begin with, but still . . . )

*  I am getting way better at "sticking to the list" at the grocery store.  Less unplanned purchases.

Less

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #2340 on: January 29, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »
Moved house to a new flat.

Currently trying to consume all the food we have in the pantry/freezer and have gone 1.5 weeks longer then expected with only buying fruit and milk.

Cooked big and so have not had to buy lunch for the last week and a bit (except for today when i left it sitting on the bench at home).

jaye_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2341 on: January 29, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »
Baked a loaf of honey-wheat bread for son's breakfast toast.  Canned a dozen jars of hibiscus jelly for same, using green apple stock for pectin, then laboriously forced the boiled apples through a strainer to extract every last bit of "applesauce" from the leavings.  My son will happily eat it straight with no sugar.

Chippewa

• Magnum Stache
    • stupid debt
« Reply #2342 on: January 29, 2015, 02:11:10 PM »
Finally brought my lunch to work.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2343 on: January 29, 2015, 02:13:59 PM »

Currently trying to consume all the food we have in the pantry/freezer and have gone 1.5 weeks longer then expected with only buying fruit and milk.

Cooked big and so have not had to buy lunch for the last week and a bit (except for today when i left it sitting on the bench at home).

Why do you need to buy milk? :I  I know it's delicious, and a must-have if you're eating cereal... but lots of folks live without milk.

Because it is delicious and I assume he doesn't have a cow :D.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2344 on: January 29, 2015, 02:40:03 PM »

Why do you need to buy milk? :I  I know it's delicious, and a must-have if you're eating cereal... but lots of folks live without milk.

Because it is delicious and I assume he doesn't have a cow :D.
Now I want a cow.

Packed breakfast, lunch and snacks.  I received a box of sample snacks in the mail.  I brought them to work to eat instead of buying something from the vending machine. 

Last night I used some leftover rice and half of an egg (used the other half to make two chocolate chip cookies) to make fried rice, which my DH ate for dinner.  I ate the last enchilada. 

I've planned my Superbowl party menu from items that I already have.  I will spend less than $5 to have a lot of snack options. 

Less

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #2345 on: January 29, 2015, 03:24:29 PM »

I never said anything about needing milk. I just choose to continue buying it.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2346 on: January 29, 2015, 03:37:41 PM »
Made a giant (crock)pot of lentil ham soup (literally ham broth so h lentils and chunks of ham). It'll last like 10+ servings. Ham was $0.99/lb and I used like 3lb of it. Lentils are the cheapest foodstuff ever, so it's super cheap and yummy. Did my taxes.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #2347 on: January 29, 2015, 05:52:48 PM »
Made some beef stew to use up a bunch of veggies in the fridge.

Finally was able to stop at the day old bread store and am stocked up for about a month.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2348 on: January 30, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »
First - I was to say AWESOME SAUCE to everyone on this thread!

Secondly, I cut the cord today! Down to internet only. Phone is not VOIP and tv is gone gone gone. "Cable" bill is reduced by 2/3 per month. I may shop around ISP (only two to choose from), but for now I am so happy to have it done! Saving about $100 per month!!!

I also called to dispute/investigate my ridiculous water bill. It is 3x normal - hopefully will get to the bottom of that. There is no leak in the house that I can find.

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2349 on: January 30, 2015, 03:18:59 PM »
Signed up to volunteer at a music festival as an usher. I would have paid to see the concert, but I'll get to see it for free. Saved $25. Plus, my volunteer shift will earn me another concert ticket, so I can see the next evenings concert for free, too.

Was thinking about other places I might be able to do something like this, and in my internet searching discovered that the community college in my town offers free concerts (mostly by their music faculty or student ensembles) every Friday at lunch time. Took my son, and we both enjoyed a free concert.

Hurray for finding a way to get a live music fix on the cheap!