Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2205283 times)

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2150 on: January 12, 2015, 04:00:37 PM »
Here's a great list of birthday freebies!

http://moneysavingmom.com/birthday-freebies

Thank you! My birthday's coming up in March, so I should hop to it. The one I didn't see on the list is Starbucks. If you have a card registered with them, you get a free drink on your birthday, and there's no price limit for it.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2151 on: January 12, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »
Cancelled Amazon Prime! The TV/movie selection wasn't that great and, honestly, most of what I buy from Amazon is stuff I don't need.

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 179 days until Freedom!
« Reply #2152 on: January 12, 2015, 05:12:42 PM »
Cancelled Netflix.  I had signed up for streaming right after I broke my leg in September.  I kept it for three months, since the broken leg was followed by shoulder surgery.  I am now on the mend and able to walk to the library for plenty of DVDs for free entertainment.
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  179 days; 20 weeks of classes; 60 days of classes

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2153 on: January 12, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »
Redid a stupid travel reimbursement form at work.

Took enough lunch for the week today. I always take lunch, but this makes it less of a pain early in the morning.

Ate leftovers for supper.

Checked in with HR on how long I have to do my witholdings for this month's pay. Need to do it this week, but didn't have to squeeze it into today's meetings. Need to recalculate because we have more withheld for benefits in spring (so that we'll have benefits of the summer), and I'd go into negative paycheck if I left it alone.

Requested a college vehicle for another trip I need to make this spring - doesn't save me money, but saves the college.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2154 on: January 12, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »

And there's nothing for those of us who don't live in a city...

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2155 on: January 12, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »

Never is. Order samples in the mail if you want freebies in the boonies.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2156 on: January 12, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »

Never is. Order samples in the mail if you want freebies in the boonies.
Now I hadn't considered that.  How do you find out about the samples?  I've looked on the Internet and all I find are sites that do not seem to be legit.  There has to be a way and I'm open to ideas.

StubbledCPA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2157 on: January 12, 2015, 06:02:25 PM »
  • Yesterday, I prepped salads for the lunches for the entire week
  • Prepped individual containers with the ingredients to make my daily peanut butter pumpkin pie oatmeal (everything in the containers except the oatmeal itself)
  • My cable modem was going out this weekend, so just went by Goodwill and found a temporary replacement (until I move in 4 months) for $5.43 after tax :)

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2158 on: January 12, 2015, 06:19:03 PM »
-2 apricot loaves in the oven (thanks, homehandymum!)
- picking up vanilla beans I ordered to make my own vanilla -- this was supposed to be last years project!

I'd love to hear what you think about the apricot loaf (I assume wholemeal flour is the same as whole wheat).

What liquor are you going to use for your vanilla extract?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2159 on: January 12, 2015, 07:11:57 PM »
G-dog The apricot loaf is excellent! I used freshly ground whole wheat flour and no white flour. My family LOVES it! Glad I doubled it!

I am using vodka this first time. I've read about others using rum. I will try it another time. I LOVE vanilla, so this should be a win for our family!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2160 on: January 12, 2015, 08:06:52 PM »
Someone gave us a package of vanilla beans and a bottle of vodka for our wedding.  It's one of the best gifts that we've received.  We use the vanilla in mixed drinks (yum) and baking. 

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2161 on: January 13, 2015, 01:44:35 AM »
G-dog The apricot loaf is excellent! I used freshly ground whole wheat flour and no white flour. My family LOVES it! Glad I doubled it!

I am using vodka this first time. I've read about others using rum. I will try it another time. I LOVE vanilla, so this should be a win for our family!

Yay!!  Glad it worked well.  I'm vaguely envious about the freshly ground wheat!  A grain mill is on my list of appliances I would love to have, but am not certain I would use enough to justify the cost.

And yes, G-dog, wholemeal is whole wheat is wheatmeal (at least, in this country :)  ).  I think here they need to use the term 'wheatmeal' on the flour bags now, because they remove the germ to stop it going rancid so it's technically not 'whole' anymore.

Parenting 4 kids while keeping costs under control.

Visit my journal:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/4-kids-in-new-zealand-let%27s-see-how-this-goes/

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2162 on: January 13, 2015, 02:01:06 AM »
@homehandymum This is the article that finally convinced me to use a grain mill:

http://info.breadbeckers.com/deception-of-enrichment/

People often think that whole wheat flour tastes too "wheaty" when in fact its just turning a little rancid. When I grind my wheat fresh, whole wheat tastes EXACTLY the same as white flour when you taste some on your fingertip.

Thanks again for the Apricot Loaf recipe ... it will be joining the family recipe archives :0)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2163 on: January 13, 2015, 06:08:49 AM »
Eating at home all day. I'm planning on eating every meal at home for the whole of January in fact. :)

Armer Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2164 on: January 13, 2015, 06:25:58 AM »
today I had to go to the town hall and run several errands. Instead of taking public transport (~12$) or the car (8$ + parking?) I used my bike to cover the 23 miles.

Didn't use the bike since early november which led to a little butt pain ... but it was totally worth it. I love the fresh air and sunshine :)

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2165 on: January 13, 2015, 06:48:51 AM »
Starting to get all the trash out of the basement a bit at a time.  This is pre-renovation trash, so by taking it out in bags (that we pay $1.51 for) I'm hoping to eliminate the need for a dumpster that works out to more for the same amount of trash.

This trash includes cracked floor tiles (vinyl), old insulation (already replaced), cardboard fiber ceiling tiles, and lots of miscellaneous things that went down there to die.

Marianne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2166 on: January 13, 2015, 07:48:36 AM »
- sold some old clothes - 30€
- ate leftovers for lunch
- prepared papers to quit the gym membership (must wait till April and pay till May), also wrote down dates of half marathons in our area, downloaded some video workouts (Insanity Max 30!!!) and checked the dates for the fitness trainer exam (not signed in yet) - this is not saving money directly, the exam will cost me some money, but I will be able to earn money with that afterwards (side job) plus I will have free gym
- and most importantly - I found a site for cashback on so many products - washing powder, chewing gums, hair products, parfumes...love it and will definitely use it!!!! (itīs mostly P&G and Līoreal)... I would share but itīs a German site

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2167 on: January 13, 2015, 03:53:06 PM »
Cancelled garbage pickup (we have a town transfer station that takes household garbage/recycling for free) -- $28/month

Cancelled pet insurance (I know...we only paid for it for a few months at least?) -- $70/month

Went through all my old school stuff and ripped out notes from previous classes so I can reuse notebooks and don't have to buy any for this semester -- $15?

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2168 on: January 13, 2015, 07:47:57 PM »
A friend is going on holiday this weekend and is cleaning out her fridge before she goes.  I got a text saying "would you like my cast off food?"

I said "Yes!" 

Whatever it is, I'll find some way to eat it, or freeze it, or cook and freeze it :)

What feels kinda weird is that she is on a much more limited income than we are, and could be freezing/storing it herself for the future.  But she won't.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:50:37 PM by homehandymum »
Parenting 4 kids while keeping costs under control.

Visit my journal:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/4-kids-in-new-zealand-let%27s-see-how-this-goes/

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #2169 on: January 13, 2015, 08:07:02 PM »
My coworker was very upset about something, so I took her out to lunch to cheer her up and get her away from things a little bit.
Over lunch, she gave me some excellent advice on a work problem I've been mulling over for the last few days. Definitely worth the price of lunch out! And now I have a packed lunch in the work fridge for tomorrow.

marshmallowaddict

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2170 on: January 13, 2015, 08:24:37 PM »
I got a $10 amazon gift card from a survey and made my first eBay sale!

grodgersoz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2171 on: January 14, 2015, 01:46:15 AM »
I turned off all the appliances im not using at the wall socket.
tv, stereo, surround sound, kettle, microwave, clothes washer etc...

Also, im going to try not to watch my tv for a week. Saves money, plus forces me to go outside and do something else in my spare time so hopefully be healthier too!

If i manage no tv for a week, i'll go for a 2nd week, then a month etc...  I dont watch it much now anyway so its no real big deal. If i do watch it, its just to put on the 24hr news channel in the background for 5 minutes while im eating a quick meal. Or if i have visitors over, then im going to break the rule.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2172 on: January 14, 2015, 02:01:10 AM »
Rode my bike to the grocery store. No petrol used, and less groceries purchased because I had to fit them into my basket as I forgot my backpack. Win!

Fruchtwein

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Soon on the move to Rome, Italy.
    • Mein Cashflow
« Reply #2173 on: January 14, 2015, 04:20:06 AM »
I crashed my cellphone a few months ago (jumped in the pool) and need a new one - at least I thought. Until now I really didn't need one.

But earlier today I saw a nice smartphone for around 600.- EUR - as I had not enough money with me, I went home, reconsidered and spent all my money available on dividend stocks. So I couldn't buy this phone, even if I would like to. No money left.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

My Blog: www.mein-cashflow.org (only in German)

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #2174 on: January 14, 2015, 05:44:16 AM »
I found a site for cashback on so many products - washing powder, chewing gums, hair products, parfumes...love it and will definitely use it!!!! (itīs mostly P&G and Līoreal)... I would share but itīs a German site
Oh, do share. I don't buy a lot of stuff that ever gets vouchers but it's always good to check once in a while.

allsummerlong

• Bristles
« Reply #2175 on: January 14, 2015, 12:37:19 PM »
Made a new 100% beeswax candle by melting several old candle ends and pouring them into a decorative candle holder w/ a new wick. Made my house smell amazing! 

Also, noticed that some winter squash I had bought last October were beginning to go soft, so I cut off the (still minor) soft parts, roasted what was left, and am making roasted squash bisque.

And... getting my boots resoled today after 5 years of wear.

It all adds up :)

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #2176 on: January 14, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
Cut DH's hair yesterday for the first time. I hope I get better at it. It looks OK, from a distance.

I'm not sure this technically counts as saving money TODAY, since that one haircut cost $80 if you divide the cost of the clippers by the number of haircuts so far.  :)

But really, I should just be glad DH suggested it. I think I'm starting to get through to him.

Marianne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2177 on: January 14, 2015, 01:27:18 PM »
I found a site for cashback on so many products - washing powder, chewing gums, hair products, parfumes...love it and will definitely use it!!!! (itīs mostly P&G and Līoreal)... I would share but itīs a German site
Oh, do share. I don't buy a lot of stuff that ever gets vouchers but it's always good to check once in a while.

Actually, there are more of them, but I like especially this one because of the sections on the right: http://www.sparwelt.de/gratis
This is my favorite section: http://www.sparwelt.de/kategorien/apotheke-und-drogerie/gratis
Maybe I will try some cheese from this one: http://www.sparwelt.de/kategorien/essen-und-trinken/gratis

Do you know this one? Itīs also good, but imo not so well structured: http://www.monsterdealz.de/

My savings today... I cooked lentils for tommorow, cheap and healthy lunch.
And I got some money back from my private medical insurance, I immediately transfered it to the saving account.
Got some interesting offers concerning my side job which will bring me quite a lot of extra money.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:30:07 PM by Marianne »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2178 on: January 14, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
Double batch of beef stew going with meat that was thawing in the back of the fridge that I almost forgot about!

Chicken barley soup going in crockpot for tomorrow's lunch or dinner. Might try to make some bread tomorrow.

Furnace turned off during the day.

Not feeling the frugal thing today, so the best thing I can do is stay home! haha!

dunhamjr

• Stubble
  • mustachian in training est. July 14
« Reply #2179 on: January 14, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »
same thing i do every mon/wed. ;) 
worked from home, so no commuting costs or time.  ate a homemade breakfast.  ate a homemade lunch.

yesterday in the office, i scored a free Jimmy Johns Beach Club sandwich from the lunch room, leftover/extra from a business meeting.   :)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2180 on: January 14, 2015, 07:05:08 PM »
Walked over to doc's office to get my stitches out.

Thought about going out to lunch, came home and ate grits.

Researched a way to get medication cheaper.  Turns out they sell it by the pill and a 15 mg pill costs the same as a 7.5.  I will save $14.00 every three months by biting them in half. 

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2181 on: January 14, 2015, 07:08:14 PM »

Researched a way to get medication cheaper.  Turns out they sell it by the pill and a 15 mg pill costs the same as a 7.5.  I will save $14.00 every three months by biting them in half.

We do that! Hubby's blood pressure dropped when he went onto dialysis and they wanted to halve his BP medication. We are still using the old prescriptions as the (subsidised) cost is the same for 28 tablets regardless of the strength, so we cut the old ones in half and the packet lasts twice as long.

Be careful with this though, some tablets come with an enteric coating meaning that breaking them up affects the way they are processed by the body.

urover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2182 on: January 15, 2015, 02:56:48 AM »
Opened up my car's passenger side door panel and lubricated all moving parts - manual window mechanism and door lock/slide mechanism - and put everything back in. Love the way it all works so smoothly now! Also lubed all hinges and doors slide like a hot knife in butter.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2183 on: January 15, 2015, 06:46:21 AM »

We do that! Hubby's blood pressure dropped when he went onto dialysis and they wanted to halve his BP medication. We are still using the old prescriptions as the (subsidised) cost is the same for 28 tablets regardless of the strength, so we cut the old ones in half and the packet lasts twice as long.

Be careful with this though, some tablets come with an enteric coating meaning that breaking them up affects the way they are processed by the body.
My Dr. said that if the pill had a score mark across the middle, it meant that the pill could safely be cut in half with the same amount of medication in both halves.  Some of mine aren't scored, so can't cut in half.  Whether or not a pill is scored is listed in their pharmaceutical directory.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2184 on: January 15, 2015, 07:09:20 AM »
Rebooked an overly long and overly expensive trip down from 14 days to 4 days. Still get to go (Iceland) but will be much more manageable.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2185 on: January 15, 2015, 10:38:41 AM »
Saved 28% off my grocery bill last night by using paper and e coupons, and shopping the sales and manager's specials.

Asked DH, who brings home 1.5 times more than I, to start paying the elect/gas bill.

Regifted two items to give to niece2 today for her birthday.  And, yes, I give her cash, too.  ;)

Going to use a Starbucks gift card, two clothing gift cards, and a coupon for free supper while out and about in the Big City today.  Going to buy fuel with my grocery value card.

I always pay all but one bill online to save postage.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2186 on: January 15, 2015, 03:35:10 PM »
Noticed that my utility bill didn't auto-pay like it was supposed to, called them up and got them to initiate payment and take off the late fee.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2187 on: January 15, 2015, 07:10:22 PM »

My Dr. said that if the pill had a score mark across the middle, it meant that the pill could safely be cut in half with the same amount of medication in both halves.  Some of mine aren't scored, so can't cut in half.  Whether or not a pill is scored is listed in their pharmaceutical directory.

Yep, that's generally the case, but there are lots of pills that don't have a score mark that you can safely cut in half as well. You'd have to get a proper pill cutter though, not try and break them or use a knife.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2188 on: January 15, 2015, 07:17:46 PM »
Rode my bike! Trying to work up to being able to ride to the grocery store in lieu of taking the car.

Made bean burritos (a la Tammy's Recipes website) with beans I"ve prepared from dry.

Heat off during the day.

Stayed home!! (Except for the bike ride)

RichWard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2189 on: January 15, 2015, 08:09:18 PM »
Walked to work even though it's nearly 0 degrees!
www.RedtoRiches.com - Blogging Six Figures of Debt to Financial Freedom, the MMM way!

Decalin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2190 on: January 16, 2015, 12:17:18 AM »
I updated my marital status with my car insurance and the rate dropped by 50 bucks. Who knew making it legal means I was a safer driver...

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #2191 on: January 16, 2015, 01:59:22 AM »

-Rescued forgotten vegetable pastries from the recesses of the fridge and had them for lunch

-Set myself a quasi-ridiculous budget for new singlets (sleeveless shirts) that I have needed for ages (my gym ones are falling to pieces) of $2 apiece -figured i'd come home empty handed but hunted through bargain racks and managed to find 3 different ones in my size that will all work great for the gym!

Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #2192 on: January 16, 2015, 02:52:03 AM »
Overcooked the asparagus.; it's slimy now. Ate most of it anyway. Compost pile...

Overcooked asparagus tastes great pureed and blended into soup!

Creamed asparagus on toast is delicious too

Marianne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2193 on: January 16, 2015, 10:49:02 AM »
Bought a VERY nice shirt for my brother for his birthday - original price 40€, after sale 1 20€, after sale 2 15€, with a voucher 7,99€

borrowed a device to track electricity usage, can use it for free for 14 days... I was shocked how much energy an old fridge consumes (we only switch it on if we have guests). If it was always on, it would cost us 22€/month...shock of my life!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2194 on: January 16, 2015, 05:07:54 PM »
We walked down to the local shops this morning to borrow a couple of fitness DVDs from the library (and returned a couple of magazines that I borrowed), and bought a few things from Aldi while we were there (Aldi is much much cheaper than Woolies or Coles). DH also harvested a zucchini, the last of the snowpeas, and a few more cherry tomatoes and strawberries from our garden.

We've also decided no more food shopping for at least a week as the freezer is stuffed full and we have a backlog of vegies to get through.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2195 on: January 17, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
Did our FloBee haircuts today and saved about $40. Bought it used off Craigslist six years ago and it's still going.  That a direct savings of $2880 (minus the cost of the FloBee) over the six years.

morning owl

• Stubble
« Reply #2196 on: January 17, 2015, 01:28:37 PM »
I did the math and realized my bus pass was not worth it for the number of times I use public transit. So I cancelled it and will now use tickets and ride my bike instead! This should save about $80 on average per month.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2197 on: January 17, 2015, 02:12:07 PM »
I found some riding gloves that have been kicking around for years.  Don't remember where they came from, but I never wore them because they were too loose around the palm.  Today I cut a slit up the back of the hand part and installed velcro so that they fit nice and snug.  Should save me from buying a replacement pair this year @ $30 or so.

JuSp02

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2198 on: January 17, 2015, 06:50:08 PM »
I had to run an errand this morning. Afterwards, DH and I were tempted to stop at one of the many fancy restaurants along the way for brunch. We resisted and stopped by the grocery store instead. Then, we went home and made some fantastic sandwiches.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2199 on: January 18, 2015, 04:12:54 PM »
Winter Picnic at the local sledding hill.  Took my little girl.  We did about 1 hour of sledding, a half hour of eating our sandwiches and drinking hot chocolate on the trunk of my 10 year old Toyota, and then read books for about a half hour in the nice warm car.  Was about 40 degrees so car wasn't running...  great day.

I love this idea of a winter picnic. I get outside during winter, but am always either walking or shovelling snow. Need to pack a lunch and a book, and then take my walk....