Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2113706 times)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2000 on: December 14, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »
Took our own coffee along in a thermos when we went out for banana fritters.  We used to buy the fritters and then walk over to the next shop for the coffee but then one day we realized how silly that was.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2001 on: December 14, 2014, 06:22:44 PM »
Today has been the day for finding things. 

Found:  my winter riding gloves.  I'd nearly given up and ordered a new pair.
My old iPod Shuffle, which disappeared when we moved, almost 5 years ago
My new iPod Shuffle, which I misplaced about six weeks ago, and hadn't made a concerted effort to find until today
A pair of cool painted ceramic cabinet knobs.  I almost bought some at World Market yesterday, then decided against it.  Put these on the little buffet cabinet I gave a facelift to last weekend in lieu of replacing it like I'd been planning.  Now to add two more knobs, and it will be like a whole new piece.  Maybe I can even find something in my spare junk out in the shop...

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #2002 on: December 15, 2014, 07:11:21 AM »
Not today, but yesterday: SO and I made an awesome beef stew according to very mustachian principles.  We went to the store to see what meat was on sale.  We then planned the meal around that -- I already had carrots and potatoes.  Then I made two really awesome loaves of white bread from scratch.  This is the first time I had ever done that.  The kids *loved* it.  I spent $10 on a bottle of cabernet, 1/3 of which went into the stew, 1/3 of which we drank, and we'll save the rest of it till next weekend (it takes us two to three weeks to get through a bottle).

The whole meal probably cost $5, and we have enough for at least one more whole meal.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2003 on: December 15, 2014, 10:05:47 AM »
Lets see how far I can take a turkey from thanksgiving. It cost ~$20. Upon cooking, it was 2 servings. Took off the rest of the meat, froze 2 bags full, left one in the fridge, turned the turkey into 1/2 gallon (4 pints) of stock (add $2 for lids, need to find these cheaper). One bag of meat was turned into turkey salad, 3 portions. Add $1 for the other ingredients. Took 1 pint of the stock, 1 thing of tomato sauce ($0.50), and some carrots ($0.50) and made soup (4 portions).

9 portions thus far with 2 bags and 3 pints remaining. If used the same way as above, this equates to $29 spent for 27 portions. Approximately $1/serving :D.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2004 on: December 15, 2014, 12:25:47 PM »
Coming home from the dentist today I thought,"You've been to dentist.  You deserve potato chips."  Then I drove past the grocery store and came home.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2005 on: December 15, 2014, 04:17:43 PM »
Triple batch of ginger snaps: 1/3 for a party on Tuesday, 1/3 for the friend who came over and made them with the kids and 1/3 for our family for eating over the holidays (will put 1/2 in the freezer).

Turning off lights.

Discovered that 7 year old unplugged the garage freezer instead of the Christmas lights last night, but thankfully, we caught it in time today and its cold outside. Everything on the very top was still frozen solid <whew> that could have been a huge loss, since I have a side of beef in there!

Homemade pancakes from a mix on sixfiguresunder.com We love this mix!! Our guest thought they were fantastic, especially with the hint of cinnamon!

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2006 on: December 16, 2014, 01:52:58 PM »
Transferred a prescription to the mail order pharmacy, saving $20/month. Found a little locally owned pharmacy that gives away children's vitamins. You can come in once a month and get a 30 day supply for your child(ren). Saves a couple of dollars. It all adds up!

CharChar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2007 on: December 16, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
I paid off the last of my student loans!!!! its kind of a big one for me because I am now officially debt free (except for my mortgage)!!! YEAH BABY! :)

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2008 on: December 16, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
Had to be home for 1/2 day with sick toddler.  Picked up the big boy from school and opted NOT to go out for frozen yogurt with the friends who all congregated there.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2009 on: December 16, 2014, 05:33:53 PM »
Taking a jar of my homemade pancake mix and a tiny bottle of real maple syrup to a gift exchange.

Cooked a chicken from the freezer in the crockpot for dinner, used up some brown rice to go with it and will slice some fresh veggies.

Turned off heat during the day.

Son is changing his own spark plugs in his car in our garage .. smart boy!

Combined errands to run while son was at guitar lessons -- man its busy out at this time of year!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2010 on: December 16, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
I scheduled an extra car payment for the total amount I've made recently selling a juicer, car seat covers, ski goggles and several books.

Used caring for my horses as a (real) excuse for dodging drinks and dinner out with my work group for a second night in a row.  Then went to the gym and ate a salad and am enjoying a glass of Bota Box instead.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #2011 on: December 17, 2014, 09:07:45 AM »
I paid off the last of my student loans!!!! its kind of a big one for me because I am now officially debt free (except for my mortgage)!!! YEAH BABY! :)

Woo! Congratulations !!

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2012 on: December 17, 2014, 12:17:34 PM »
Had free lunch at work for the Holiday Luncheon.  HR Manager observed me grabbing a few peppermints off the table and she asked if I liked them.  I said, "I love peppermints!"  Ten minutes later she called me and told me to come to her office.  She had gathered a massive pile of them for me since not many people took any!!!  AND I'm taking three of the leftover cookies home for the family since I now keep baggies in my desk at all times for circumstances like these. Double score!!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2013 on: December 17, 2014, 01:21:22 PM »
Realized my usual dentist (with whom I had an appt next week) does not take my new insurance plan. Cancelled appt and found a new dentist that does take my insurance.
Want to buy some truly random art? https://www.etsy.com/shop/CaptiveChaos

BaldingStoic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2014 on: December 17, 2014, 02:02:47 PM »
My wife used rain water to do the laundry. 
Striving to live simply in San Diego

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2015 on: December 23, 2014, 01:09:15 AM »
Grocery shopped at the cheap grocery store, and also cashed in tons of points to get $250 off my groceries.

Made hot chocolate mix for some neighbours. Made candy can brittle tonight for the other neighbours.  Recycled jars to put them in.

Didn't have lasagne noodles for a crockpot recipe I was making today, so subbed in bow tie noodles. It worked perfectly.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #2016 on: December 23, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »
Relatives "borrowed" the high quality wrapping paper that I bought at deep discount last January.  So, my presents are wrapped Furoshiki style in cloth that I had planned to give away.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2017 on: December 24, 2014, 12:36:19 AM »
Company asked what they could bring to dinner we were hosting, so we asked if they'd mind bringing a tray of Christmas baking. They gladly obliged and we got to try some new Christmas treats!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2018 on: December 25, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »
I found out on Christmas Eve that the two boxes of Christmas decorations I had gathered over the years had gone moldy in my basement. That mold problem, I'll solve on a different day.

I decorated using a nativity scene that I bought very inexpensively at a garage sale in the summer. (Never got around to putting it in the basement!) I am working on a temporary contract in a different location, and rent a second house there. (Lucrative contract, so it is worth it for the medium term.) I had bought a pre-lit wreath for that house, and decorated it with pine cones and Christmas balls. I brought the wreath with me because I won't be in the second house during another Christmas season. I put it on the wall in my own house, and put the extra pine cones and Christmas balls in a bowl by a brass lamp. And I put a tiny pine tree in a pot on the window sill. The tree was one of dozens that our cafeteria at work had as centrepieces during December, and gave away this week.

The décor in  my living room includes a lot of deep red, so it all looks very festive. And fun that it is different from what I usually do. 

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #2019 on: December 25, 2014, 03:47:29 PM »
I went online and changed my 401(k) contribution rate to 75% (hoping to front load and potentially max out before I decide to quit this PITA job!) and also changed my "investment direction" to the newly available Vanguard Intermediate-term Bond Fund which is the lowest cost option (and also more in line with where I should be putting my money at this age).  I won't have any choice but to live on less than 25% of my income (since taxes and health insurance will lower my take home even more!).
"Money often costs too much."  -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"My other vehicle is an IRA."

Want YNAB for $6 off? Use this:  http://ynab.refr.cc/89THXPM

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2020 on: December 25, 2014, 04:40:03 PM »
Bulk cooking!!

I've cooked about 8 pounds of potatoes in three different dishes and 5 pounds of chicken.  I've also been using up cans of beans, frozen vegetables, and an open jar of salsa.  I'm using up items in our kitchen because I have no desire to go to the grocery store. 

I'm also snuggling up under blankets instead of turning on our heat. 

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2021 on: December 25, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »
Two words:  rechargable batteries.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #2022 on: December 25, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »
Carpooled with the family to visit other relatives. Potluck and bon fires and great conversation.

An uncle of mine would buy all Christmas presents just after Christmas at a steep discount. You'd get your gift sometime after New Year's day.

getgoing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2023 on: December 25, 2014, 08:03:43 PM »
Made discount-vegetable-curry with lazy-homemade-flat bread.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2024 on: December 25, 2014, 11:17:08 PM »
Made my own custard for Christmas pudding instead of buying it.

Made my own stuffing in the crockpot instead of store-bought mix.

Made my own gravy from turkey drippings instead of gravy from a packet.

It would seem odd to me to NOT do these things, but many friends and family do just that!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2025 on: December 26, 2014, 12:56:21 PM »
Finally ate my homemade kimchi that I made a while back.  Never had kimchi before at all.  It was pretty great!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2026 on: December 26, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »
Streaming songza for music today. Eating leftovers ALL. DAY. LONG. Lights being switched off. Sitting by my gas fireplace drinking cups of tea to keep warm. Shopped for wrapping paper, Christmas cards, and a few other consumable Christmas items at the 50% off sale at Walmart. 

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2027 on: December 26, 2014, 04:54:09 PM »
Not turning the aircon on, although I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and the summer has decided to arrive.  It's not actually that hot - I'm just not coping with it very well. 

Drinking lots of cold water from an insulated cup.

My one Boxing Day purchase was a discounted Kindle, which I've wanted for several years, and which is my family's Christmas gift to me.  It was the kindle 6, wifi, so not the latest model, but the cheapest in store, and still way better than any that were available when I first wanted one 5 years ago.

The advantages of being a late-adopter!
Parenting 4 kids while keeping costs under control.

Visit my journal:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/4-kids-in-new-zealand-let%27s-see-how-this-goes/

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #2028 on: December 31, 2014, 04:22:12 AM »
Stroller wheels were really up for replacement but the supplier didn't call back on whether they were available or not. Since it also snowed I did a dirty hackjob of adding bigger wheels. All materials were surplus so zero cost for the hack job

It's not even close to pretty but gives lots of laughs and rolls surprisingly well considering the used materials and freehand assembling :D
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Can I FIRE yet?
« Reply #2029 on: December 31, 2014, 08:06:39 AM »
Had my phone repaired instead of purchasing new...$50 vs $300 !

Had stepson bring home all the phones that we had sent for them to use over the last 4 years which were now deemed "broken", and it turns out that several of them just have old swollen batteries.  Approx $10 each for replacement batteries, and now there are 4 perfectly servicable phones available for my family to use when our current models crap out on us.  Poor kids are just going to have to suffer with un-cool flip phones until they get off their butts and buy their own stuff.

Hubby was ready to throw out turkey leftovers (he hates dark meat) but I salvaged it for use in soups!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2030 on: December 31, 2014, 08:44:06 AM »
Just bought YNAB on sale from Steam for $14.99. (Full price is $60.00)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2031 on: December 31, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »
Kids are having a blast with homemade "blurp" -- a version of the Slime I used to play with in the late 70's.

Its just Elmer's clear glue, water, borax, food colouring and glitter.  (Google blurp for recipe)

They are eating up the raisin bread I made yesterday with extra dough from the hamburger buns I made for dinner.

Drinking tea at home, even though I"ve been craving a Starbucks Chai Tea all holidays. Didn't receive a gift card this Christmas so I'm not going!!

Husband and son walked to Walmart and back and got groceries for me!

Edited for multiple typos! Ugh!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:26:46 PM by 1967mama »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2032 on: January 01, 2015, 09:04:21 AM »
Checked on my two credit cards that have rotating rewards categories.  Today starts 5% back on gas for Discover, and 5% for groceries for Chase Freedom, so I'm making sure they're in my wallet with little sticky notes reminding me which cards to use.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2033 on: January 01, 2015, 10:36:51 AM »

Drinking tea at home, even though I"ve been craving a Starbucks Chai Tea all holidays. Didn't receive a gift card this Christmas so I'm not going!!

I hacked the chai for a better life at a fraction of the price.   I started with this recipe and have tweaked it over the years to suit me.  My current incarnation makes 3 gallons.  I freeze some in ice cube trays.  Bonus is the house smells great.  Here's where I started:
http://www.yogayoga.com/about-us/yogi-tea

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #2034 on: January 01, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »
Had chick peas on my salad at lunch that I bought dried and cooked overnight in the slow cooker.

Dinner will be roast chicken (on sale), acorn squash (one of the three last squashes from my CSA this summer) with cinnamon apples (orchard picked at a discount), and buttery rice (leftovers).

Monitored my hard cider (tried and true) and  homemade wine (first attempt) bubbling away on the top of the fridge. They'll end up each being about $5/gallon.

Working in the sunny living room, rather than turning up the heat in my cold office.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2035 on: January 01, 2015, 02:47:38 PM »
Having received a kindle for christmas, I promptly went to Amazon and looked up all the books that I had deemed too pricey this year (we pay postage from Amazon - upwards of $35 a pop).  Then, instead of buying them, I put them in my wishlist, and downloaded a bunch of free ones instead.

I'll have another look at my wishlist once DH and I have sorted out our fun money budget for the year, or maybe send relatives there when they are enquiring about birthday gifts.

Visit my journal:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/4-kids-in-new-zealand-let%27s-see-how-this-goes/

Chaplin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2036 on: January 01, 2015, 08:56:37 PM »
Asked store to exchange cracked bodum for new one. They cheerfully agreed. Saved $22 over buying replacement.

Nicely done!

I just meekly bought a replacement beaker (the glass part) and counted myself fortunate for not having to replace the thing entirely.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:01:33 PM by Chaplin »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2037 on: January 01, 2015, 09:02:14 PM »
I posted this on another thread, but I was so proud of myself I had to post it here too.

I was doing some cleaning up in my kitchen and was about to throw away one of those stainless steel drinking containers that I had put in the freezer and had warped on the bottom as a result - oops I guess stainless steel doesn't like freezers. It wouldn't stand up on its own since the bottom was all warped.

Instead of throwing it away I grabbed a mallet and pounded the warped part back into place. One big BAM and a big win!

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2038 on: January 01, 2015, 09:09:30 PM »
It was yesterday, but I put my $30/mo gym membership on hold since I haven't been making time to go. $1/day saved with minimal effort.

I found today that my gloriously comfortable L.L. Bean slippers that my sister bought for me as a gift years ago are starting to fall apart - then I remembered L.L. Bean's warranty. So, I'll see if I can get them repaired for free. :)

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2039 on: January 01, 2015, 09:41:57 PM »
When we moved a few months ago, we got the postal service to redirect our mail for a while.  The redirection service is just about to end, and we are still getting the occasional piece of mail that has needed the redirection.

Extending the redirection another 2 months (the minimum available) would cost $25.

Instead, I wrote a card to the new owner of our old house thanking her for passing on. through a mutual acquaintance, a flower delivery that had been sent to our old house instead of our new one; explained that our mail redirection was about to expire; asked if she would be so kind as to forward anything to our new address (which I gave her again); and wished her a happy new year.  Cost: 50c postage and an old note card from a stash I inherited from my grandmother.

Rubyist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2040 on: January 01, 2015, 09:48:47 PM »
I signed up for a library card, and put a hold on 2 cookbooks I want to look at but probably wouldn't use much.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2041 on: January 02, 2015, 03:51:37 AM »
Cooking!

Made soup for lunch from stock in freezer from Thanksgiving turkey. Quite possibly my best soup yet!
Made huge crockpot full of chili.
Made another huge crockpot of spaghetti sauce.
Dumped small containers of frozen leftover chili and spaghetti sauce into the appropriate crockpot.
Made a blueberry-strawberry crisp and a blueberry-plum crisp (gluten free) from frozen fruit in freezer that was bought at the farm or picked in my yard.

Also today:

Husband cleaned the outsides of the windows on our main floor. Now the sun can shine in!
Hung a load of laundry to dry on drying racks.
Turned off the furnace during the daytime.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #2042 on: January 02, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »
Last night I made peppermint tea and forgot about it until I went to bed- but when i saw the cup sitting there, I poured it into my thermos instead. This morning I made coffee and put a shot of peppermint tea in instead of my peppermint syrup. Didn't waste tea, saved some more-expensive syrup! It's still minty and delicious and doesn't have sugar in it.

TTGS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2043 on: January 02, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »
I rigged up a rod for hanging laundry in my basement.  Previously I only had a small space for hanging which would hold about 4-5 hangers.  Now I have an additional 6 feet of hanging space which is already being put to use :)

cheapbutchic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2044 on: January 02, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
I kept a list of everything I did to save money during the month of December...

Ate all meals at home except 2 (friends took me out for my birthday)
Made everything from scratch (bread, beans, soup) nothing out of a can
Didn't eat any processed sugar
Cleaned out refrigerator before going to the market
Line dried all my laundry
Kept thermostat at 62 or below during the day and 55 at night
Cut my own bangs
Gave myself a facial
Gave myself a weekly manicure
Decorated the house for free with natural elements from the garden
Made all my Christmas presents (crocheted scarves for everyone)
Put an extra $1k into savings

Phew.

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2045 on: January 02, 2015, 05:20:06 PM »
I walked to the grocery store to buy vegetables and rice noodles to make soup with the beef stock we recently made from our leftover Christmas roast.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2046 on: January 02, 2015, 05:35:22 PM »
Made all our meals at the hotel in our room rather than eating out.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2047 on: January 02, 2015, 06:56:15 PM »
Called my credit card company and got a late fee waived, saved 25 bucks.   I was only a day late and they gave me a one time courtesy.  The bill totally got buried with everything going on around Christmas. I forget to ask them to move the payment date. It earlier than my other bills and I would like them at the same time, it is easier. 

Went grocery shopping and only bought essentials.  No extras. Not sure what this amounts to but it felt good since I am trying to eat through my house.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2048 on: January 02, 2015, 08:12:42 PM »
Made "chicken pizza muffins" to freeze so the kids can grab them for lunches over the next week or so.

It's all about the marketing :)  They would be unenthused by 'leftover chicken stew muffins', but with the addition of a tin of tomatoes, some oregano and some cheese, they become 'pizza' flavoured.

I've been wanting to plan better for their lunches - we tend to just grab something when we're hungry, but if there's nothing easy and nutritious for them to grab, they tend to go for breakfast cereal - which can get pricey with all the milk being consumed.

I also mixed up a couple of loaves of my no-knead yeast bread so it can rise overnight for baking tomorrow morning, AND my 10 year old is going to a sleepover tonight, so instead of taking a packet of cookies with her for snacking food, she made banana muffins (from over-ripe bananas that were needing to be used.)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2049 on: January 03, 2015, 02:25:24 AM »
Cut my bangs and straight across the back of my curly, shoulder length hair.

Drove 20 minutes to shop at Winco - thinking of dropping our costco membership. Has anyone else done this? It's hard to break up with costco!

2 crockpots full of beans cooked all afternoon in the crockpot.
Bagged in ziplock for the freezer.