Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2015010 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1750 on: October 29, 2014, 08:23:49 PM »
I got my Geico bill and they'd ratcheted my 6 month premium up by another $20, so I hopped onto Progressive's website and bought a new policy with higher deductibles and dropped my premium by $120/6 months.  I'll check back with Geico in a couple months and see if they'll entice me back with a better rate, since they do offer horse trailer insurance and Progressive doesn't (I'm paranoid about theft because it's pretty easy to steal a parked trailer).

True fact, but if there are a lot of trailers around, a hitch lock will make yours more of a pain in the ass to steal than the next guy's.

Yep, I have one of those hitch locks, but it's of no use if I don't use it.  Thanks for the reminder!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1751 on: October 31, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »
Grumpy day today. Rather than depend on an expensive, bad-for-me lunch out to boost my mood, I came home for lentil soup and a ham sandwich, then had a couple of cups of mint tea. I'm still grumpy, but at least I didn't waste any money.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1752 on: October 31, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »
I was so tired and wanted to take the bus to work, but forced myself to ride my bike instead.

AgileTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1753 on: October 31, 2014, 01:51:41 PM »
Charged my cell phone at work. Let them pay the electric bill. Also drank free work coffee. it is horrible, but makes my coffee at home on the weekends taste a ton better in comparison.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #1754 on: October 31, 2014, 03:24:07 PM »
I researched replacement batteries and factory resets for my 2 year old Galaxy S3 so that I can better resist the temptation to buy a new phone over the Black Friday sales coming up in a month.

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1755 on: October 31, 2014, 03:26:19 PM »
Walked 40 minutes to drop off my ballot rather than spend $0.70 to put it in the mail.  As a bonus a got a free "I voted" sticker!

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #1756 on: October 31, 2014, 04:13:03 PM »
I researched replacement batteries and factory resets for my 2 year old Galaxy S3 so that I can better resist the temptation to buy a new phone over the Black Friday sales coming up in a month.

I have a two year old S3 as well and the battery would not last through the work day. I did some research and got these batteries yesterday: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHDLR4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I charged one of the batteries and installed it around 8pm last night. So far i'm at 20 hours 9 minutes and still have 46% battery left. Much much better than the battery life I was getting with the stock battery. You get a second battery to boot so you can switch them out.

Back on topic. Even though I technically got the batteries yesterday these should extend the life of my cell phone for a little longer and keep me from spending money on a new phone.

Andy_in_Aus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1757 on: October 31, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »

I have a two year old S3 as well and the battery would not last through the work day. I did some research and got these batteries yesterday: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHDLR4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I charged one of the batteries and installed it around 8pm last night. So far i'm at 20 hours 9 minutes and still have 46% battery left. Much much better than the battery life I was getting with the stock battery. You get a second battery to boot so you can switch them out.

Back on topic. Even though I technically got the batteries yesterday these should extend the life of my cell phone for a little longer and keep me from spending money on a new phone.

Thanks Jim, I was in the process of doing the very same thing.

Now just got to find out if Amazon will ship it down under!

Nancy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1758 on: November 01, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »
Patched our flannel bottom sheet that had three tears in it. My husband has had the sheets for 15 years. So comfy.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1759 on: November 01, 2014, 12:02:33 PM »
Signed up for the free month of KindleUnlimited.  I have been saving it until I needed a distraction and I am currently having a lot of dental work.  Reread three old favorites that I got there yesterday while recovering from the most recent procedure.  Needless to say, I will cancel at the end of the month. 

xylophone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1760 on: November 01, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »
First post - please be gentle!

Still not got the heating on - having an unusually warm Autumn in the UK.
Resisted the coffee shop and we had latté and mocha at home for pennies.
Signed up to MMM for free knowledge, information, inspiration and humour (loved the TP thread)!

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #1761 on: November 01, 2014, 12:52:21 PM »
My husband backed into someone else's car today.  Obviously we will pay for the repair to the other vehicle, but for our own, I googled DIYs and found this simple boiling water trick.  Given the age of our car and $0 cost of the attempted fix, I figured it was worth a try.

Turned out not bad!  Paint is still scratched, but given that this is a 2005 Matrix, I'm okay with that.

A new bumper cover would have been at least $200 + installation, so at least I don't have to worry about our vehicle.

The dent to the other vehicle is much smaller and it is equally old, but I'm sure the owner will want it fixed, so that will still cost, but at least we saved some money on our own.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1762 on: November 01, 2014, 01:36:03 PM »
If anyone has a good recipe for candied orange peel, I would be glad to have it.

I don't have a good recipe (I just cut 'em in strips, boil in two changes of water, then simmer in thick syrup and eventually roll in sugar and let somewhat-dry).

Mostly I posted to say that these are also awesome chopped up into green salads. The Ottolenghi books have quite a few recipes where you intensely flavour chopped fruit (e.g., simmer dried dates in balsamic) and add it to veg dishes.

Also, orange peels have as much vitamin C as the orange's flesh! Free nutrients!
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1763 on: November 02, 2014, 04:03:54 AM »
Rather than drive, I biked to the hardware store to pick up a 5L can of paint. 

It's for painting the big (cheap) cement planters we bought to contain the huge palm trees we just received for free.

I enlisted my son to help paint.  As we waxed on and waxed off, he dreamt out loud of painting for money saying, "we could be paid for doing something we enjoy!"  He judged himself to be quite skilled.  (I only had to go clean up about 80% of his work). BUT!  He didn't splatter.  So he is, indeed, more skilled than many.  Maybe someone would pay him.  Methinks he needs a few more lessons first. 
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1764 on: November 02, 2014, 05:29:41 AM »
It's gotten pretty cold out already. SO and I just moved and the gas has yet to be turned on (installed on Tuesday). We've survived. Indoor temp has dropped to 64 (would be a lot wors if we weren't in an apartment building). So 7 days with no heat makes us badass

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1765 on: November 02, 2014, 05:52:29 AM »
Boyfriend wants to go to MEC to buy bike lights.  I said that we could go for him but that I can source some for $10 on kijiji.

I love him but I'm glad we don't live together and never will.  I would have been in one of those fighting couples for the last seven years if we lived together.

Sometimes it seems so strange because since we started dating, he's become spendier.  His income has increased but it's still less than mine.  I guess he will return to his formally frugal ways if he feels he needs to.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1766 on: November 02, 2014, 07:29:27 AM »
Yesterday - after running my half marathon, I had two cups of the free (and delicious!) coffee and some food at the after-race party instead of the big mocha I usually treat myself to.

Stopped by the feed store on my way home from the race instead of making a separate trip.  Bought a cheaper brand of chicken feed that's $3 less per bag, and used a $10 off coupon, so one bag was almost free.

Instead of turning on the heat when we got home to a 58 degree house, built the first fire of the year, which was much cozier than just flipping on the heat anyway.

Got off my butt and cleaned the inside of my car after talking about paying the car wash near work to do it.

MySweets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1767 on: November 02, 2014, 09:41:11 AM »
Returned a Groupon item for a wide pet gate and repositioned my dog's food container so that the old baby gate we've had for 6 years now will still fit.

Remapped my route to work to avoid all tolls.

Re-plugged electronics into power strips so I can turn them off when not in use.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1768 on: November 02, 2014, 09:52:46 AM »
Raked and bagged the leaves in my yard yesterday. Even though my back is killing me today, at least I saved the $80 that a guy on Kijiji wanted to do it.

Got out the crockpot and some chicken thighs that have been in the freezer for who knows how long. That will be dinner for the next few nights.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #1769 on: November 02, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
Friends were going for coffee at Starbucks.  Initially, I was going to bike there and just get a tall bold ($2 or so).  But then they decided to go to a Starbucks 15 km from me (instead of 6 km).  Rather than getting a drive there and spending money on the coffee, I just declined.  I didn't want to bike 30 km, because then I knew I would get hungry and probably end up buying food, and I didn't want to spend the money to drive there.

We haven't used our car at all this weekend, though we will have to use it tonight for swimming, but it's all four members of the family, and we will also tuck a couple of errands in the trip, so it will be efficient.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1770 on: November 02, 2014, 01:56:58 PM »
Went to a friend's house for the weekend, and before we left I moved all of the leftovers from the fridge to the freezer, now I'm all set for food for 2 days without spending extra.  Love not wasting!

Nancy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1771 on: November 02, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »
I repatched my jeans making them wearable once again. They are so soft. I can't quit them. I also patched my gardening jeans and my new jeans that started getting the bicycle seat tear after only a few months. Weak sauce.

colganc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1772 on: November 02, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »
After getting my haircut, I didn't schedule another visit.  My self haircutting tools already arrived and later this month I will cut my own hair.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1773 on: November 02, 2014, 07:23:35 PM »
After getting my haircut, I didn't schedule another visit.  My self haircutting tools already arrived and later this month I will cut my own hair.
Bada$$!  I just started cutting my hair myself.  It looks pretty good.  It saves time and is free!

Today I cooked a batch of food for the week.  I made green smoothies for breakfasts, hard boiled eggs for snacks, cooked a few sweet potatoes for lunches, and cooked a large serving of rice to serve with our dinners.  I also brewed a large batch of tea that is cooling in the fridge. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1774 on: November 02, 2014, 08:55:20 PM »
Burned candles that I got as gifts to heat the house an additional degree instead of increasing the heat.  That meant three candles were used up and are no longer cluttering up the house. 

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1775 on: November 02, 2014, 09:41:09 PM »
We needed to create order out of chaos in the home office/library, so I shopped at a consignment store. They had a  good size bookcase that looked like IKEA, so I looked it up on line and sure enough, it was an Ikea Kallax. Get this, the consignment store wanted more ($199) than IKEA did for a brand new one ($139)! I measured the space and decided I needed two. I checked Craigslist and found a guy selling two, plus a bunch of drawer and cabinet inserts. Except when I called him, he only had one left. So I searched CL again and found another of the same one. After a bit of juggling, I bought 2 bookcases, and 7 cabinet/drawer inserts from two different people in two different towns. Odd factoid: both were moving to the D.C. area. Anyway, instead of $458 new from Ikea, I spent $230 on almost as good as new. So not exactly cheap, but still a good deal for not a lot of extra effort. And yes, we used our paid-for truck to pick it up today (Sorry, MMM). Since DH walks to work, I have no worries about driving on the weekends when we need to.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #1776 on: November 03, 2014, 10:59:41 AM »
Instead of kicking up the heat while getting ready for work this morning, I toughed it out.

Warmed up leftover coffee from yesterday instead of making a fresh pot.

Brought a fresh tomato from our garden for this afternoon's snack.

My Credit Karma FICO score increased 10 points because I paid my credit card bill off in full last month.  :D

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 240 days until Freedom!
« Reply #1777 on: November 03, 2014, 12:01:08 PM »
I thought about turning on the pilot light of my gas heater this morning, but instead, I put on my down jacket.  It was 53F in my house--not too bad.  Tonight, though, the outside temp is supposed to be in the low 20s, which means tomorrow morning, I may wimp out and turn the heat on.

Took the bus to my workplace this morning ($1) instead of driving my own vehicle (would have had to buy a $5 parking pass).  Normally, I would walk or bike, but my injured leg doesn't allow for either of those right now.
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  240 days

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1778 on: November 03, 2014, 12:13:34 PM »
Carpool to work while drinking a smoothie for breakfast.  Made tea from gift tea leaves at work.  I also packed my lunch (large sweet potato and iced tea) and snacks (hard-boiled eggs). 

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #1779 on: November 04, 2014, 09:31:59 PM »
I'm starting to figure out Christmas gifts for my very non-mustachian family....my brother mentioned that he would really like a panini press.

I was pretty sure that would be more than my Christmas budget ($50), as the best deal I could find was $85.  Then I remembered I hadn't done anything with my airmiles in a while.....so I checked, and lo and behold....there was a Cuisinart Griddler, and I had more than enough miles to get it.  Christmas gift procured, $0 spent.

I don't regret the loss of the Airmiles because there isn't really anything I need, and the type of miles I had been accruing isn't good for gift cards/cash.

frugalecon

• Bristles
« Reply #1780 on: November 05, 2014, 07:15:56 AM »
Gave my breakfast (PB&J) to a homeless person who asked me for food, and, rather than buying something for myself, I ate a backup Clif bar I keep in my desk.

UnleashHell

• Magnum Stache
  • climbing out of a dark hole
« Reply #1781 on: November 05, 2014, 07:24:08 AM »
Had to spend an hour online making sure my vonage phone worked with the new router. During the call I got them to put me on the introductory rate – saving $150 in the next year.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1782 on: November 05, 2014, 08:19:07 AM »
Bundled dentist appointment, prescription pickup and grocery shopping into one trip.  Restocked my bulk pantry:  Rice, grits, tapioca etc.

AgileTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1783 on: November 05, 2014, 11:45:03 AM »

That is going way to far :)
I am thinking about switching to a French Press to make smaller amounts. Left over re-heated coffee makes me sad.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1784 on: November 05, 2014, 11:54:57 AM »
We have to drive 4 hours tonight. Rather than stop for fast food, I've packed some sandwiches, fruit, nuts, and water.

Related to the above posts: Dh will still want to stop for coffee later on, because even if I packed a thermos, he'd claim it isn't fresh after four hours and won't want it.

Less

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #1785 on: November 05, 2014, 12:12:36 PM »
I have a small hand grinder, a moca-pot and a camping stove in a little draw string bag. They tend to come with me on long car trips so that I can stop somewhere with a view to have my fresh ground coffee, rather then a road side cafe somewhere uninspiring with day old filter.

Today I borrowed the tools to fix the broken/missing spoke on my bike.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1786 on: November 05, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »
Made my own sugar body scrub.  My skin has been itchy and dry, so I mixed some sugar with gifted massage oil.  My skin is hydrated and exfoliated.

I cut up and froze apples that were mealy for sweetening my breakfast smoothies.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1787 on: November 05, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »
Recent things I haven't noted here:

1) Borrowed SO's father's 4x4 to do our move (paid him $20 instead of $100 to rent for a day).

2) Made 25 beef burritos at about $0.75 each (a guess), frozen for times I don't want to cook dinner/make lunch for work.

3) Got a library card and borrowed books I've been wanting to read instead of buying them.

4) Pledged with this move to get rid of shit I don't need, though a bit hung up on a couple things that were gifts that I don't really want to keep but people might get mad if I sold...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1788 on: November 05, 2014, 12:32:31 PM »
Did a MASSIVE grocery shop before my upcoming surgery so that the family won't be tempted to order in.

Premade a huge chill, spaghetti sauce and taco meat/rice mixture for easy post surgery meals that the kids can heat up.

Precooked 2 chickens and bagged up the meat to be added to casseroles or frozen chicken stock for soups that teens can easily make.

Planned to make buns for the freezer but haven't gotten around to it - bought $1.29 Winco bread to bridge the gap (the same nice loaves are over $4.00 in Canada)

Sorting through Christmas and stocking gifts that I've already purchased. Making a good list so that husband can fill in the gaps while I'm recovering.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1789 on: November 05, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »
Just ate some roast pork in gravy, a gift from my neighbor.   They travel a lot and routinely empty their fridge in my direction when they go.  I return the favor with fresh bread every now and then.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1790 on: November 05, 2014, 12:42:08 PM »
Did a MASSIVE grocery shop before my upcoming surgery so that the family won't be tempted to order in.

Premade a huge chill, spaghetti sauce and taco meat/rice mixture for easy post surgery meals that the kids can heat up.

Precooked 2 chickens and bagged up the meat to be added to casseroles or frozen chicken stock for soups that teens can easily make.

Planned to make buns for the freezer but haven't gotten around to it - bought $1.29 Winco bread to bridge the gap (the same nice loaves are over $4.00 in Canada)

Sorting through Christmas and stocking gifts that I've already purchased. Making a good list so that husband can fill in the gaps while I'm recovering.

I did this last year before a major surgery.  The funny thing was I bought more pre-made stuff like burritos than I usually do (less thinking for the Hub if the directions are on the package) and  was kind of appalled at the prices.  The Hub, who had just come back from a couple of weeks of travel on the governments dime was dazzled by how cheap it was compared to what he had been paying to eat out.

frugalecon

• Bristles
« Reply #1791 on: November 05, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »

I am thinking about switching to a French Press to make smaller amounts. Left over re-heated coffee makes me sad.

I switched to the French press years ago, mainly to get the big coffee maker off of the counter, and now I would never go back. It just plain makes better coffee, and it is easy to make exactly the right amount. The only other coffee device I use is a single-cup Melitta cone, which I use at work to brew a cup in the a.m.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1792 on: November 05, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »

I did this last year before a major surgery.  The funny thing was I bought more pre-made stuff like burritos than I usually do (less thinking for the Hub if the directions are on the package) and  was kind of appalled at the prices.  The Hub, who had just come back from a couple of weeks of travel on the governments dime was dazzled by how cheap it was compared to what he had been paying to eat out.

I did buy a few pre-made things: cabbage rolls, fish sticks and a bag of oven fries. The prices were indeed appalling!

I have just put 2 more chickens in the roaster and have 10 bananas ready to make into 4 banana breads this afternoon. Even though its a lot of work to make everything ahead of time, I am trying to exercise some bada**ity and get this done! haha! My husband wanted me to buy lots of pre-made meals but I just couldn't do it. I figure I have 2 more days to get as much done as is humanly possible! Then I will be sitting in my rocking chair for 8 weeks, so I will get plenty of rest then! haha!

purplepants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journey - Purplepants' Journey From The 7th Circle of Hell
« Reply #1793 on: November 05, 2014, 01:45:33 PM »

I switched to the French press years ago, mainly to get the big coffee maker off of the counter, and now I would never go back. It just plain makes better coffee, and it is easy to make exactly the right amount. The only other coffee device I use is a single-cup Melitta cone, which I use at work to brew a cup in the a.m.

Someone needs to convince me to buy a French Press.  I'm ashamed to say I pour out about 2 cups of coffee every day because reheated makes me gag (and the big regular coffee maker doesn't make a decent brew for quantities less than 4 cups). 

UnleashHell

• Magnum Stache
  • climbing out of a dark hole
« Reply #1794 on: November 05, 2014, 02:03:45 PM »

Someone needs to convince me to buy a French Press.  I'm ashamed to say I pour out about 2 cups of coffee every day because reheated makes me gag (and the big regular coffee maker doesn't make a decent brew for quantities less than 4 cups).

Use the big pot. Do a full brew

[caffeine] AND DRINK MORE COFFEE DAMMIT…. IT WORKS FINE FOR ME…. [/caffeine]

nessness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1795 on: November 05, 2014, 03:59:37 PM »
Didn't leave the house, except for a nice walk with the baby. Trying to take advantage of the warm(ish) weather while it lasts.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1796 on: November 05, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
Writing a shopping list for the next week based around what we already have in the house, and all the meals will be 'stretched' with cheap but healthy ingredients (like shredded carrot, the greatest thing ever).

Needed new work clothes, so I bought dresses on ebay - 1/3 the price of new dresses by this brand, but I know they'll fit well, look great and last the distance, because it's a brand I've tested out pretty thoroughly. So, cheap but great quality, win-win :-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1797 on: November 05, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »

Melitta cone is way cheaper than a French press, but then you still have to buy filters.  It's my favorite coffee ever.  I have a 13 year old cone that I've used almost daily, so I feel I've gotten my $3's worth out of it.  Then I have a bigger one that is designed to brew directly into a thermos, so plenty of tasty, piping-hot coffee.  Personally never cared for French press coffee, though I felt like I "should".

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #1798 on: November 05, 2014, 09:05:37 PM »
I love my French press so much. I have a fancy pants bodum one (double wall stainless) but my 10 dollar version from IKEA works just as well. French press is best for people who like bold coffee flavour and who are willing to buy decent beans. If you like weaker, sweet, milky coffee, it is probably not the best for you.

Andy_in_Aus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1799 on: November 05, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »
Writing a shopping list for the next week based around what we already have in the house, and all the meals will be 'stretched' with cheap but healthy ingredients (like shredded carrot, the greatest thing ever).

Needed new work clothes, so I bought dresses on ebay - 1/3 the price of new dresses by this brand, but I know they'll fit well, look great and last the distance, because it's a brand I've tested out pretty thoroughly. So, cheap but great quality, win-win :-)

My new favourite forum member - I love shredded carrot (or any carrot for that matter)!