Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1560318 times)

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1650 on: October 18, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »
I bought the store bakery bread for $1.39. I have always found that it dries out too fast, but I am keeping it in the freezer, and will just take out a slice or two at a time.

mary w

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1651 on: October 18, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »
When making potato zucchini pancakes last night I went a bit crazy when grating.  I ended up with a pile of potato, zucchini and onion much larger than my needs.  After dinner I quickly sautéed the leftover raw veg while homemade chicken broth defrosted in the microwave.  Then I added a handful of elbow macaroni.   Tonight I'll add a couple more veggies (maybe carrots and beet greens) and call it dinner.

Processing about 7 lbs. of (rapidly deteriorating) Mexican guavas my neighbor left on my porch.  Some chunks will be frozen for smoothies.  Some will be cooked down with sugar and canned as guava butter.  Any ideas of what else to do with guavas?  I think I'll be getting more bags in the future since she discovered that I like guavas.     

Ottawa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1652 on: October 18, 2014, 03:33:05 PM »
Returned some BOGS brand boots (2 years old) that had developed a hole in the heel.  Thought maybe it was worth a warranty shot/discount on another boots.  BUT NO!  The saleslady immediately says "Now that's a warranty issue!" and says "Pick out a new pair!".  I was impressed by the BOGS 'satisfaction guarantee' in this case.  Another 2 years now for my daughter's winter boots.  (Grandma bought them as a Christmas present 2012). 
When a friend travels on Airbnb, you both get $40 CAD in travel credit.  Please use myAirbnb Link if you wish!   Cheers.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1653 on: October 18, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »
Made a carrot cake for son's 19th birthday tomorrow from dirt cheap Winco carrots.

Made pizza bagels for lunch out of a bag of bagels I found buried in the deep freeze this morning and made a little salad with some lettuce harvested from our first garden grown from seed! Very satisfying to go out in my yard and gather some practically free, delicious organic lettuce!

For anyone who has never had a little garden, or has a brown thumb like me, I'd encourage you to try and grow a little lettuce next year! Water, sunshine and a bag of mushroom manure from Home Depot was all it took! Amazing to me!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1654 on: October 18, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »
Made a go-to dinner tonight from BudgetBytes.com. So good.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/italian-wonderpot/

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1655 on: October 18, 2014, 08:33:16 PM »
Made a go-to dinner tonight from BudgetBytes.com. So good.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/italian-wonderpot/

I love that recipe!

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1656 on: October 18, 2014, 09:19:14 PM »
Hubby installed a programmable thermostat and made his own hot sauce from dried peppers we had in the pantry after trying to find a place online to buy (we live in Canada it is all stupid expensive, even in store)

I used the leaves from a nettle infusion with some spinach in our eggs and left over quinoa (pantry challenge) - tasty and not super noticeable.

Afternoon entertainment was a free walk in the forest and a board game. Also taking some free CreativeLive classes.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1657 on: October 19, 2014, 04:33:42 AM »
Planted the roots of some green onions.  Don't know if I'll get shoots before winter or not but would have thrown them out otherwise so why not.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1658 on: October 19, 2014, 05:15:23 AM »
Felt compelled to take my nephews to the fair this weekend (since they go every year) but I didn't. The kids weren't even concerned about the fair. Instead, they played outside of my house, camping, walking, trying to find deer. They were more entertained making up their own games.

Just when I think I'm frugal, I read this thread and realize I could do more.  Despite my thrifty bent, I still spend way too much money on things that mean nothing to me... Trying to please other people...

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1659 on: October 19, 2014, 05:53:31 AM »
Switched 2 smartphones to PagePlus, cutting bill from $130/mo to $65/mo. Termination fees yet unknown, but estimated break-even in about 8 months, saving about $300 by the end of the original contract.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1660 on: October 19, 2014, 11:24:19 AM »
We went to our usual grocery store by car this morning but in a few minutes, we are going to walk to a near-by fruit & vegetable place to get our produce for the week.  The produce store is about 30% cheaper than the grocery store + we get some exercise. 

yesterday, my husband made turkey soup (Thanksgiving was last weekend in Canada) and we froze most of it for fast meals later on.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1661 on: October 19, 2014, 12:33:15 PM »
I got cold sitting around the house, so rather than turn up the heat, I went outside to deal with the leaves. Now I'm nice and toasty, my arms have that great tired feeling, my lawn is clear, and my garden beds are mulched. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1662 on: October 19, 2014, 03:54:17 PM »
Last night I pulled up a bunch of gladiola bulbs, since they don't survive the winters here.  I'm going to put them in buckets with some soil in the basement and replant in the spring instead of buying new bulbs.

MrsYooper

« Reply #1663 on: October 20, 2014, 06:38:17 AM »
Hi all,

Long time reader/first time caller, etc.  Have been reading the archives of this board obsessively!

Thanks to this board I spent a shockingly small amount of time double-checking our auto insurance amount, and was able to switch to an identical policy - from State Farm to Geico - and saved $800/year.

Thanks, Mustachians!

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #1664 on: October 20, 2014, 08:18:53 AM »
Spent no money this weekend, am eating down my supplies rather than go to the grocery store.  I walked in to work and plan to walk home [2 miles each way] and broght in my lunch. Cold, windy and rainy here but I feel so much happier walking than being stuck on a bus with lots of coughing people [flu season has begun here!].
A goal without a plan is just a wish

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1665 on: October 20, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »
Planted the roots of some green onions.  Don't know if I'll get shoots before winter or not but would have thrown them out otherwise so why not.

Best to sprout them in a glass of water for a few days before planting them.  We do the every spring.

OneDogGP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1666 on: October 20, 2014, 10:06:33 AM »
I'm especially happy today!  Signed up with Chase for a checking / savings / credit card for a total of $500 in rewards and met all requirements for no monthly fees on any of it.  Whee!!! Free money!!! (except for the taxes I'll have to pay on it at the end of the year)

Also, I've been line drying clothes for about two months and turning off electronics to save energy and have seen about a 10% decrease in my electric bill.  (Not as much as I was expecting, but am grateful for all savings)

Cut the cable about 3 months ago and am enjoying around $80 more a month as a result.

And the best one yet... I'm going on a virtually free cruise next week because a buddy of mine got a couple of free passes for booking a cruise for next year and he offered me the second pass as long as I paid the taxes, which were all of $90.  Gonna be gone for 7 days on a Western Caribbean cruise hitting Belize, Mahogany Bay and Cozumel!!!  Can't freakin' wait!!!!!  :)

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #1667 on: October 20, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
Used the usual half dryer fabric softener sheet doing laundry yesterday.

Have been waiting to run the dishwasher until before bed, after peak hours.

Loudly and proudly announced to my family during a discussion with my bro-in-law this past Saturday I am aggressively saving money for my retirement.  This was after he talked about buying a new ATV on credit (NO!), and buying 40 acres in a not so desirable new development.  And, this was after my mom talked about buying frivolous things at WW.  I will continue being a frugal example for my two nieces.

Batch cooked yesterday.  Saved 27% off my grocery order last week using sales and coupons.  Paid off $1800+ debt last week.  Counted $30+ in my piggy bank.  I love this way of life!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1668 on: October 20, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »
Batch cooked yesterday. 
Me too!  Batch cooking saves time and money!  I spend so much less time during the week by batch cooking on the weekend.  We used to get take-out or prepared/packaged food, but heating up food is so much faster!

Yesterday I made a pesto for whole wheat penne.  I also made a batch of vegetable fried rice for lunches, hard boiled eggs for snacks, and limeade for a treat. 

Today I packed my lunch (fried rice) and snacks (hard boiled eggs and limeade).  I also brewed a few cups of tea at the office using gifted tea leaves and tap water. 

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1669 on: October 20, 2014, 11:09:19 AM »

Best to sprout them in a glass of water for a few days before planting them.  We do the every spring.

Thanks.  I will definitely do that next time.  I love this place.  I have learned so much.

The Hub is home with the flu today.  I opened a can of veg/beef soup and doubled the volume with a spoonful of Better than Boullion and a can of water, left it on the stove and told him to have at it. Cheaper and tastier than fancy electrolyte replacement drinks.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #1670 on: October 20, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
Batch cooked yesterday. 
Me too!  Batch cooking saves time and money!  I spend so much less time during the week by batch cooking on the weekend.  We used to get take-out or prepared/packaged food, but heating up food is so much faster!

Yesterday I made a pesto for whole wheat penne.  I also made a batch of vegetable fried rice for lunches, hard boiled eggs for snacks, and limeade for a treat. 

Today I packed my lunch (fried rice) and snacks (hard boiled eggs and limeade).  I also brewed a few cups of tea at the office using gifted tea leaves and tap water.

Nice!  And, I LOVE pesto!  Yes, work days are so crazy, I love prepping on weekends, and putting lunch food into plastic containers for grab and go mornings.

I, too, boiled eggs which serve as breakfasts for me, and healthy protein snacks for DH.

DH has been making unsweetened sun tea all summer, and continues to do so.  He loves that stuff!

Speaking of DH, I washed and trimmed rashes for his lunches.

I also assembled a 7 layer salad for my lunches today and tomorrow, a pan of chile enchiladas for tonight, and made crock pot pizza (all low carb, just as most of my cooking is) yesterday for last night's supper.  Delish!  Edited to add:  I also made two bags of dump chicken:  Two chicken breasts per bag, one seasoned with a homemade honey sesame glaze combo, one with tangy something something.  Label, freeze, thaw the night before use, bake for 30 minutes.  Tender and delish.

Oh, and I made 7+ dozen chocolate chip pumpkin cookies and will give some to neighbors, DH's co-workers and to bring as a Halloween party hostess gift this Saturday.  And they freeze well.  And I also made a few caramel apples to split with DH.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:07:29 PM by MountainGal »

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1671 on: October 20, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »
Made tomato sauce with the garden tomatoes this weekend.  Used up the older and not so nice tomatoes saving the best ones for eating fresh.  We had trouble with the garden this year (Hail early, then bugs, and now mice) so the harvest was not that great but I still got 4 pints into the freezer and another quart into the fridge for immediate eating.

MrsYooper

« Reply #1672 on: October 20, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »
I live in an apartment that features an energy-hogging electric stove which I loathe.  I turned it off at the breaker and plan to leave it off until Thanksgiving.  I'm making due with my little toaster oven (excellent for the two of us), a George Foreman G3, my slow cooker, and my microwave.  I just made 4 chicken thighs (bone in-skin on) seasoned with Penzeys Northwood seasoning in the toaster oven and plan on grilling up some Costco asparagus on the George.

I have a retractable clothesline in our 900 square foot apartment and I line-dry everything - currently a batch of towels is line drying.

Fried up some eggs on the George for breakfast, and for work lunch took in a chicken breast and roasted broccoli all smothered with a good sugar-free bbq sauce.

My boss is a thrift-shopper, so I asked her to keep an eye out for a hairdryer for me - mine died.  She found one for me for $8 - brand new and the same brand as my old one.  New one on Amazon = $20.

We live in Baltimore (my username = retirement in 18 months to the Upper Peninsula) and the Johns Hopkins students throw away amazing items in our garage when they move out:  found a brand new kitty condo, unused.  Retail probably around $65?  Brought it in and the cats love it!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1673 on: October 20, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
Took leftovers from a workshop I attended awhile back for lunch today (they've been in the freezer).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1674 on: October 20, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »
Yesterday I made a pesto for whole wheat penne. 

Nice!  And, I LOVE pesto!

You guys have an easy pesto from scratch recipe. We make it for our son all the time but with spice packets from the store, and they are crazy overpriced.

What would a spice packet for pesto be?  It should just need salt, pepper and garlic (I use chile flake instead of black pepper).  I've started making mine with macadamia nuts instead of pine nuts.  They have a nice sweetness that offsets any bitterness in the basil.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pesto-recipe.html

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1675 on: October 20, 2014, 11:02:36 PM »
Hung laundry on the IKEA racks in my laundry room.

Baked brownies for company (from a mix from Costco that my parents gave us = free)

Made a loaf of fruit bread in the bread machine.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #1676 on: October 21, 2014, 05:35:28 AM »
Batch cooked yesterday. 

I batch cooked chicken pesto "pasta" [zucchini noodles] last night for the rest of this weeks lunches too! I walked in to work again this morning in the midst of the tail end of a hurricane, felt so refreshed by the time I got here :)
A goal without a plan is just a wish

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #1677 on: October 21, 2014, 09:33:30 AM »

You guys have an easy pesto from scratch recipe. We make it for our son all the time but with spice packets from the store, and they are crazy overpriced.

What would a spice packet for pesto be?  It should just need salt, pepper and garlic (I use chile flake instead of black pepper).  I've started making mine with macadamia nuts instead of pine nuts.  They have a nice sweetness that offsets any bitterness in the basil.

Nice!  Thanks!  :D

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1678 on: October 21, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »

I use olive oil, basil, salt, pepper, garlic and Parmesan cheese.  I'm going to try to use pine nuts in my next batch!

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1679 on: October 21, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »
No small thing, but FIREd the cleaning lady today.  'fired' is probably too strong, since she did the job fine......we let her go.  Earning more per hour than an entry level teacher.  So, for those that want a somewhat flexible job that pays well relative to skills, clean homes!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1680 on: October 21, 2014, 02:42:16 PM »
Feeling a bit ill today, so pulled some home made hummus out of the freezer.  Will serve it for dinner with home made flat bread and lettuce from my garden. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1681 on: October 21, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »
Picked up some packaged convenience foods today.  They're going in my suitcase to reduce the amount of eating out I do over the next five days of travel.  In the morning I'll park at a nearby office (with permission) and walk a mile to the airport to save on parking fees.

Andy_in_Aus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1682 on: October 21, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »
Feeling a bit ill today, so pulled some home made hummus out of the freezer.  Will serve it for dinner with home made flat bread and lettuce from my garden.

@2ndTimer - I had no idea you could freeze hummus, but that sounds great.  How long will it keep in the freezer, any tips?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1683 on: October 21, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
I don't know how long it will keep, but just put a thin layer of olive oil on top before you freeze, then give it a stir when it's thawed out, and it's good as new.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1684 on: October 21, 2014, 11:07:49 PM »

@2ndTimer - I had no idea you could freeze hummus, but that sounds great.  How long will it keep in the freezer, any tips?

Hummus is great to make in big batches and freeze for later use.  I don't do anything to it.  Just dump it in washed yogurt containers and stick it in the freezer.   I don't think I have ever frozen it for longer than a month so don't know what the time limit might be.

Andy_in_Aus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1685 on: October 21, 2014, 11:11:37 PM »

Hummus is great to make in big batches and freeze for later use.  I don't do anything to it.  Just dump it in washed yogurt containers and stick it in the freezer.   I don't think I have ever frozen it for longer than a month so don't know what the time limit might be.

Thanks for the info, locking it in as a weekend project, I LOVE hummus!

purplepants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journey - Purplepants' Journey From The 7th Circle of Hell
« Reply #1686 on: October 22, 2014, 09:18:01 AM »
Yesterday, I ate my last packet of instant oatmeal for breakfast. 

Last night, I made two dozen packages of homemade instant oatmeal out of some Ziploc sandwich bags and quick-cooking oats.  No money left in the grocery budget this month, so I had to scrounge the pantry for add-ins.  Ended up with one dozen cinnamon-pecan and one dozen cranberry-almond using leftover chopped nuts purchased for baking.

I'm pretty pleased with this, and since the baggies only have dry ingredients, I'll be able to reuse!  (I eat breakfast at work, which is why I opt for the convenience of premade packets).

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #1687 on: October 22, 2014, 02:20:31 PM »
Had to run downtown for a meeting mid-day that I had forgotten about.  On the way the gas light blipped on my car.  The only fault of this car presently is that the gas light coming on could me a gallon left in the tank or 2 ounces left in the tank. 

As I pulled into the gas station I remembered that I have $1.15 per gallon discount on my grocery store card expiring in a week.  Instead of filling up, I put two gallons in to ensure safe passage back to the office and made plans to fill up at the grocery store gas station after work.  I should save about $18. :-)

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1688 on: October 22, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »
I needed to get $100 out of the bank in $1 bills (SO's parents own a business, we owe them about $200 from them helping out with moving). I could have gone to a close bank and paid $3 to get money out, gotten it changed into $1s and made my commuter train home. Instead, I walked a bunch farther, didn't pay $3 and took the next train instead.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1689 on: October 22, 2014, 03:08:42 PM »
Making sausages, eggs and homemade hash browns for dinner tonite -- sausages were buried in the deep freeze, eggs are nearing expiry date and potatoes don't have many days left!

No spend day - not going out and not buying anything. Hunkering down on this cool fall day.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1690 on: October 22, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »
Had to run downtown for a meeting mid-day that I had forgotten about.  On the way the gas light blipped on my car.  The only fault of this car presently is that the gas light coming on could me a gallon left in the tank or 2 ounces left in the tank. 

As I pulled into the gas station I remembered that I have $1.15 per gallon discount on my grocery store card expiring in a week.  Instead of filling up, I put two gallons in to ensure safe passage back to the office and made plans to fill up at the grocery store gas station after work.  I should save about $18. :-)

Love this!  It's like how I ride my bike to three different groceries stores in a week to save $20.  I think my boyfriend thinks I'm a bit crazy.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1691 on: October 22, 2014, 07:37:33 PM »
Made pesto for supper tonight from my windowsill basil and the "garnish" from a tray of cheese at an event from work -- they decorated with kale and baby tomatoes, and I'm sure 95%  of the time it's thrown out, but it made lovely pesto (a little more kale than basil, plus garlic, salt, and the tomatoes), and I have two lunches' worth of leftovers, so the garnish is going back to work tomorrow.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1692 on: October 22, 2014, 07:47:58 PM »
@Rural:

I, too, salvaged lettuce, kale and cherry tomatoes from party trays last weekend and made a big salad out of it. Everything was lying on large romaine leaves, and then the kale and cherry tomatoes were tucked in for garnish :-) Made me happy and it was funny to see that you posted the same thing this afternoon!

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1693 on: October 23, 2014, 05:57:03 AM »
Felt more than a bit tired after six days deprived of my own home/bed (was away for work), but I toughed it up and rode my bike 6 miles to and from work. The way back was very relaxing in the autumn sun. So I got my vitamin D for the day and saved some euros by not taking public transport.
Yay, out of debt... period :)
My '16/'17 journal

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #1694 on: October 23, 2014, 07:00:57 AM »
I needed to get $100 out of the bank in $1 bills (SO's parents own a business, we owe them about $200 from them helping out with moving). I could have gone to a close bank and paid $3 to get money out, gotten it changed into $1s and made my commuter train home. Instead, I walked a bunch farther, didn't pay $3 and took the next train instead.

Am I the only one who read the first line and thought "exotic dance club"?

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1695 on: October 23, 2014, 07:12:49 AM »

I thought that when I asked the teller for that many $1s. They run a hardware store. Nothing erotic about rope, chains, paint, and nuts.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #1696 on: October 23, 2014, 07:18:48 AM »

I thought that when I asked the teller for that many $1s. They run a hardware store. Nothing erotic about rope, chains, paint, and nuts.

You obviously have not read 50 Shades of Grey.   ;-)

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1697 on: October 23, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »

Well played sir.

boognish

• Stubble
« Reply #1698 on: October 23, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »
Amex is offering an additional 2% cash back for purchases made at Whole Foods through February. I have the Blue Cash Preferred card and already get 6% back on grocery store purchases - takes it to 8% cash back!

I never shop at Whole Foods, but will definitely peruse. If they sell gift cards it's on, I may pick up like $1k in Amazon cards if available.
PM for 70k mile Amex Platinum Delta SkyMiles referral

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1699 on: October 23, 2014, 05:33:36 PM »
They had organic oranges at Grocery Outlet this week so I bought some.  Washed them with soap and vinegar and am saving the peels in  the freezer as I eat the inside.  Eventually, I will make candied orange peel which I love in scones.  If anyone has a good recipe for candied orange peel, I would be glad to have it.