Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020843 times)

GardenFun

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1600 on: October 14, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »
This past spring, I gave our neighbor a tomato plant still in the 36-spot seed starting tray.  It's windy and rainy today, causing all sorts of debris to blow around the neighborhood.  Saw the empty tray blowing across the yard, ran barefoot through the rain to grab it and put it back in the garage.

In ode to MMM's "What would you do for $5?" question, guess I will run barefoot through wind and rain after it.  :-)

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1601 on: October 14, 2014, 03:25:10 PM »
We went apple picking this weekend, saving about $.50/lb. At about 40 lbs, that's $20 saved. I spent the day today with my mom, canning applesauce, prepping apples for the Thanksgiving and Christmas pies, slicing some for her dehydrator, and we still have a large bowl of apples for eating.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1602 on: October 14, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
Repaired the downstairs laundry basket with good old needle and thread.   Visually it's a lousy job, but it should hold up.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1603 on: October 14, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
Walked to the grocery store.  For the first time!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1604 on: October 15, 2014, 06:54:25 AM »
Checked my Amex account offers and signed up for $5 back on a $15 Wal-Mart purchase.  I need to remember to check those deals more often - a couple months ago it was $20 back for a $20 Amazon purchase.

Working from home and don't plan to drive anywhere or buy anything today.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1605 on: October 15, 2014, 07:27:04 AM »
I made a huge pot of faux split pea soup from a hambone and Costco Normandy-mix veggies that have been hanging around in the freezer.  I also made a huge pot of ham and Great Northern beans that we've been having for dinner all week.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1606 on: October 15, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »
Started buying organic cream for my coffee in lieu of the local brand-saving $2!!

Brought my usual own filtered water, coffee and leftovers for lunch to the office.

**PAID OFF my credit card balance in full this morning.**  Woot woot!

Prepared the monthly grocery shopping list and stack of coupons for tonight.  Added a few on sale items to the list.

I continue to give half full glasses of leftover drinking water to the plants, and my bedroom and closet lights off during my morning preening routine.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1607 on: October 16, 2014, 05:18:05 AM »
Maxed out my HSA contributions for the year.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1608 on: October 16, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »
Made pumpkin pudding with part of my loss leader pumpkin and thawed frozen milk. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1609 on: October 16, 2014, 10:17:04 AM »
Made pumpkin pudding with part of my loss leader pumpkin and thawed frozen milk.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #1610 on: October 16, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »

This!  A THOUSAND times this! :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1611 on: October 16, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »
Washed 3 karate Gi's and got them out on the line to dry. That was my biggest accomplishment of the day <sigh>.

Elisabeth

« Reply #1612 on: October 17, 2014, 06:51:24 AM »
Sold some things my ex left in my storage unit (finders keepers!) for a few hundred. It took about 10 min of work total, answering craigslist responses.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1613 on: October 17, 2014, 12:43:04 PM »
Finished off the homemade bean dip for breakfast and lunch.
Finally admitted I need to slow down in the morning long enough to eat breakfast so that I won't be tempted to stop at a restaurant for lunch.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1614 on: October 17, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »
Rejiggered our budget to accommodate some new realities, rather than just pretend they're not happening and keep overspending.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #1615 on: October 17, 2014, 02:52:41 PM »
Sold my lawn tractor with snow plow blade for $900 and will use my push mower and snow thrower.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1616 on: October 17, 2014, 06:26:23 PM »
Made an 11x17 pan of lemon bars and a 9x13 pan of raspberry squares. All will be sliced and frozen for future snacks and treats for the family. Trying to get ahead of them so that I don't have to rely on store bought treats. Hmmm.....I wonder if you can freeze lemon bars?

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1617 on: October 17, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »
I've decided to get rid of my cell phone completely but need a new answering machine to go with my land line.  Cheapest one at the local box store was $25.  Cheapest one on kijiji was $15, but maybe I could have gotten it for $10.  Put out a request on freecycle and within a day someone had one for me.  Rode my bike down and picked it up.  Super sweet lady too.  Renewed my faith in humanity. 

Friends think I'm crazy for cycling that far but it was maybe 12 km.  Not that far at all.

Saved money on transportation.  Saved at least $10 on the answering machine. 

And then I picked up a kill-a-watt from the library.  And books and a dvd too.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1618 on: October 17, 2014, 07:25:08 PM »
Woke up late today so didn't pack a lunch (bad), but headed over to the local burrito place before 11 and picked up a huge breakfast burrito for $2.99 instead of spending $8+ to go out for lunch.

Stopped by WinCo to restock a few staples.  Noticed a $1 off sticker on loaves of bread that were $3-4, but the coupon was good on another loaf of the same brand that was $1.98, so got a big loaf of OroWheat for 98 cents.

I'm about to make a batch of nut bars with pantry ingredients to take with on my work trip next week.  Going to challenge myself to eat out only once per day while I'm on the road.

Drove carefully for an average of 43.3 mpg

Andy_in_Aus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1619 on: October 17, 2014, 11:52:51 PM »

After watching A LOT of YouTube videos on the subject, I successfully cut my own hair.  The spatial awareness looking through two mirrors and then reversing hands had me for a little while, but a reasonable job if I do say so myself.

Kind of more excited about the actual skill than the money saved at the moment though!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1620 on: October 18, 2014, 09:16:20 AM »

After watching A LOT of YouTube videos on the subject, I successfully cut my own hair.  The spatial awareness looking through two mirrors and then reversing hands had me for a little while, but a reasonable job if I do say so myself.

Kind of more excited about the actual skill than the money saved at the moment though!

Felt the same way when I first cut my hair acceptably.  One of the joys of mustachianism is that smug feeling of competence which comes when you master a new skill. 

Needed something to read yesterday to while away my post-dentist misery so I downloaded an assortment of library books and found a new mystery author I like.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1621 on: October 18, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »
I bought the store bakery bread for $1.39. I have always found that it dries out too fast, but I am keeping it in the freezer, and will just take out a slice or two at a time.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1622 on: October 18, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »
When making potato zucchini pancakes last night I went a bit crazy when grating.  I ended up with a pile of potato, zucchini and onion much larger than my needs.  After dinner I quickly sautéed the leftover raw veg while homemade chicken broth defrosted in the microwave.  Then I added a handful of elbow macaroni.   Tonight I'll add a couple more veggies (maybe carrots and beet greens) and call it dinner.

Processing about 7 lbs. of (rapidly deteriorating) Mexican guavas my neighbor left on my porch.  Some chunks will be frozen for smoothies.  Some will be cooked down with sugar and canned as guava butter.  Any ideas of what else to do with guavas?  I think I'll be getting more bags in the future since she discovered that I like guavas.     

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1623 on: October 18, 2014, 03:33:05 PM »
Returned some BOGS brand boots (2 years old) that had developed a hole in the heel.  Thought maybe it was worth a warranty shot/discount on another boots.  BUT NO!  The saleslady immediately says "Now that's a warranty issue!" and says "Pick out a new pair!".  I was impressed by the BOGS 'satisfaction guarantee' in this case.  Another 2 years now for my daughter's winter boots.  (Grandma bought them as a Christmas present 2012). 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1624 on: October 18, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »
Made a carrot cake for son's 19th birthday tomorrow from dirt cheap Winco carrots.

Made pizza bagels for lunch out of a bag of bagels I found buried in the deep freeze this morning and made a little salad with some lettuce harvested from our first garden grown from seed! Very satisfying to go out in my yard and gather some practically free, delicious organic lettuce!

For anyone who has never had a little garden, or has a brown thumb like me, I'd encourage you to try and grow a little lettuce next year! Water, sunshine and a bag of mushroom manure from Home Depot was all it took! Amazing to me!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1625 on: October 18, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »
Made a go-to dinner tonight from BudgetBytes.com. So good.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/italian-wonderpot/

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1626 on: October 18, 2014, 08:33:16 PM »
Made a go-to dinner tonight from BudgetBytes.com. So good.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/italian-wonderpot/

I love that recipe!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1627 on: October 18, 2014, 09:19:14 PM »
Hubby installed a programmable thermostat and made his own hot sauce from dried peppers we had in the pantry after trying to find a place online to buy (we live in Canada it is all stupid expensive, even in store)

I used the leaves from a nettle infusion with some spinach in our eggs and left over quinoa (pantry challenge) - tasty and not super noticeable.

Afternoon entertainment was a free walk in the forest and a board game. Also taking some free CreativeLive classes.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1628 on: October 19, 2014, 04:33:42 AM »
Planted the roots of some green onions.  Don't know if I'll get shoots before winter or not but would have thrown them out otherwise so why not.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1629 on: October 19, 2014, 05:15:23 AM »
Felt compelled to take my nephews to the fair this weekend (since they go every year) but I didn't. The kids weren't even concerned about the fair. Instead, they played outside of my house, camping, walking, trying to find deer. They were more entertained making up their own games.

Just when I think I'm frugal, I read this thread and realize I could do more.  Despite my thrifty bent, I still spend way too much money on things that mean nothing to me... Trying to please other people...

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1630 on: October 19, 2014, 05:53:31 AM »
Switched 2 smartphones to PagePlus, cutting bill from $130/mo to $65/mo. Termination fees yet unknown, but estimated break-even in about 8 months, saving about $300 by the end of the original contract.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1631 on: October 19, 2014, 11:24:19 AM »
We went to our usual grocery store by car this morning but in a few minutes, we are going to walk to a near-by fruit & vegetable place to get our produce for the week.  The produce store is about 30% cheaper than the grocery store + we get some exercise. 

yesterday, my husband made turkey soup (Thanksgiving was last weekend in Canada) and we froze most of it for fast meals later on.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1632 on: October 19, 2014, 12:33:15 PM »
I got cold sitting around the house, so rather than turn up the heat, I went outside to deal with the leaves. Now I'm nice and toasty, my arms have that great tired feeling, my lawn is clear, and my garden beds are mulched. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1633 on: October 19, 2014, 03:54:17 PM »
Last night I pulled up a bunch of gladiola bulbs, since they don't survive the winters here.  I'm going to put them in buckets with some soil in the basement and replant in the spring instead of buying new bulbs.

MrsYooper

« Reply #1634 on: October 20, 2014, 06:38:17 AM »
Hi all,

Long time reader/first time caller, etc.  Have been reading the archives of this board obsessively!

Thanks to this board I spent a shockingly small amount of time double-checking our auto insurance amount, and was able to switch to an identical policy - from State Farm to Geico - and saved $800/year.

Thanks, Mustachians!

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #1635 on: October 20, 2014, 08:18:53 AM »
Spent no money this weekend, am eating down my supplies rather than go to the grocery store.  I walked in to work and plan to walk home [2 miles each way] and broght in my lunch. Cold, windy and rainy here but I feel so much happier walking than being stuck on a bus with lots of coughing people [flu season has begun here!].

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1636 on: October 20, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »
Planted the roots of some green onions.  Don't know if I'll get shoots before winter or not but would have thrown them out otherwise so why not.

Best to sprout them in a glass of water for a few days before planting them.  We do the every spring.

OneDogGP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1637 on: October 20, 2014, 10:06:33 AM »
I'm especially happy today!  Signed up with Chase for a checking / savings / credit card for a total of $500 in rewards and met all requirements for no monthly fees on any of it.  Whee!!! Free money!!! (except for the taxes I'll have to pay on it at the end of the year)

Also, I've been line drying clothes for about two months and turning off electronics to save energy and have seen about a 10% decrease in my electric bill.  (Not as much as I was expecting, but am grateful for all savings)

Cut the cable about 3 months ago and am enjoying around $80 more a month as a result.

And the best one yet... I'm going on a virtually free cruise next week because a buddy of mine got a couple of free passes for booking a cruise for next year and he offered me the second pass as long as I paid the taxes, which were all of $90.  Gonna be gone for 7 days on a Western Caribbean cruise hitting Belize, Mahogany Bay and Cozumel!!!  Can't freakin' wait!!!!!  :)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1638 on: October 20, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
Used the usual half dryer fabric softener sheet doing laundry yesterday.

Have been waiting to run the dishwasher until before bed, after peak hours.

Loudly and proudly announced to my family during a discussion with my bro-in-law this past Saturday I am aggressively saving money for my retirement.  This was after he talked about buying a new ATV on credit (NO!), and buying 40 acres in a not so desirable new development.  And, this was after my mom talked about buying frivolous things at WW.  I will continue being a frugal example for my two nieces.

Batch cooked yesterday.  Saved 27% off my grocery order last week using sales and coupons.  Paid off $1800+ debt last week.  Counted $30+ in my piggy bank.  I love this way of life!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1639 on: October 20, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »
Batch cooked yesterday. 
Me too!  Batch cooking saves time and money!  I spend so much less time during the week by batch cooking on the weekend.  We used to get take-out or prepared/packaged food, but heating up food is so much faster!

Yesterday I made a pesto for whole wheat penne.  I also made a batch of vegetable fried rice for lunches, hard boiled eggs for snacks, and limeade for a treat. 

Today I packed my lunch (fried rice) and snacks (hard boiled eggs and limeade).  I also brewed a few cups of tea at the office using gifted tea leaves and tap water. 

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1640 on: October 20, 2014, 11:09:19 AM »

Best to sprout them in a glass of water for a few days before planting them.  We do the every spring.

Thanks.  I will definitely do that next time.  I love this place.  I have learned so much.

The Hub is home with the flu today.  I opened a can of veg/beef soup and doubled the volume with a spoonful of Better than Boullion and a can of water, left it on the stove and told him to have at it. Cheaper and tastier than fancy electrolyte replacement drinks.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1641 on: October 20, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
Batch cooked yesterday. 
Me too!  Batch cooking saves time and money!  I spend so much less time during the week by batch cooking on the weekend.  We used to get take-out or prepared/packaged food, but heating up food is so much faster!

Yesterday I made a pesto for whole wheat penne.  I also made a batch of vegetable fried rice for lunches, hard boiled eggs for snacks, and limeade for a treat. 

Today I packed my lunch (fried rice) and snacks (hard boiled eggs and limeade).  I also brewed a few cups of tea at the office using gifted tea leaves and tap water.

Nice!  And, I LOVE pesto!  Yes, work days are so crazy, I love prepping on weekends, and putting lunch food into plastic containers for grab and go mornings.

I, too, boiled eggs which serve as breakfasts for me, and healthy protein snacks for DH.

DH has been making unsweetened sun tea all summer, and continues to do so.  He loves that stuff!

Speaking of DH, I washed and trimmed rashes for his lunches.

I also assembled a 7 layer salad for my lunches today and tomorrow, a pan of chile enchiladas for tonight, and made crock pot pizza (all low carb, just as most of my cooking is) yesterday for last night's supper.  Delish!  Edited to add:  I also made two bags of dump chicken:  Two chicken breasts per bag, one seasoned with a homemade honey sesame glaze combo, one with tangy something something.  Label, freeze, thaw the night before use, bake for 30 minutes.  Tender and delish.

Oh, and I made 7+ dozen chocolate chip pumpkin cookies and will give some to neighbors, DH's co-workers and to bring as a Halloween party hostess gift this Saturday.  And they freeze well.  And I also made a few caramel apples to split with DH.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:07:29 PM by MountainGal »

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1642 on: October 20, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »
Made tomato sauce with the garden tomatoes this weekend.  Used up the older and not so nice tomatoes saving the best ones for eating fresh.  We had trouble with the garden this year (Hail early, then bugs, and now mice) so the harvest was not that great but I still got 4 pints into the freezer and another quart into the fridge for immediate eating.

MrsYooper

« Reply #1643 on: October 20, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »
I live in an apartment that features an energy-hogging electric stove which I loathe.  I turned it off at the breaker and plan to leave it off until Thanksgiving.  I'm making due with my little toaster oven (excellent for the two of us), a George Foreman G3, my slow cooker, and my microwave.  I just made 4 chicken thighs (bone in-skin on) seasoned with Penzeys Northwood seasoning in the toaster oven and plan on grilling up some Costco asparagus on the George.

I have a retractable clothesline in our 900 square foot apartment and I line-dry everything - currently a batch of towels is line drying.

Fried up some eggs on the George for breakfast, and for work lunch took in a chicken breast and roasted broccoli all smothered with a good sugar-free bbq sauce.

My boss is a thrift-shopper, so I asked her to keep an eye out for a hairdryer for me - mine died.  She found one for me for $8 - brand new and the same brand as my old one.  New one on Amazon = $20.

We live in Baltimore (my username = retirement in 18 months to the Upper Peninsula) and the Johns Hopkins students throw away amazing items in our garage when they move out:  found a brand new kitty condo, unused.  Retail probably around $65?  Brought it in and the cats love it!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1644 on: October 20, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
Took leftovers from a workshop I attended awhile back for lunch today (they've been in the freezer).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1645 on: October 20, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »
Yesterday I made a pesto for whole wheat penne. 

Nice!  And, I LOVE pesto!

You guys have an easy pesto from scratch recipe. We make it for our son all the time but with spice packets from the store, and they are crazy overpriced.

What would a spice packet for pesto be?  It should just need salt, pepper and garlic (I use chile flake instead of black pepper).  I've started making mine with macadamia nuts instead of pine nuts.  They have a nice sweetness that offsets any bitterness in the basil.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pesto-recipe.html

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1646 on: October 20, 2014, 11:02:36 PM »
Hung laundry on the IKEA racks in my laundry room.

Baked brownies for company (from a mix from Costco that my parents gave us = free)

Made a loaf of fruit bread in the bread machine.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #1647 on: October 21, 2014, 05:35:28 AM »
Batch cooked yesterday. 

I batch cooked chicken pesto "pasta" [zucchini noodles] last night for the rest of this weeks lunches too! I walked in to work again this morning in the midst of the tail end of a hurricane, felt so refreshed by the time I got here :)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1648 on: October 21, 2014, 09:33:30 AM »

You guys have an easy pesto from scratch recipe. We make it for our son all the time but with spice packets from the store, and they are crazy overpriced.

What would a spice packet for pesto be?  It should just need salt, pepper and garlic (I use chile flake instead of black pepper).  I've started making mine with macadamia nuts instead of pine nuts.  They have a nice sweetness that offsets any bitterness in the basil.

Nice!  Thanks!  :D

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1649 on: October 21, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »

I use olive oil, basil, salt, pepper, garlic and Parmesan cheese.  I'm going to try to use pine nuts in my next batch!