Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8075816 times)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #15850 on: May 02, 2023, 10:53:50 AM »
Planted our garden :)

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15851 on: May 03, 2023, 10:32:14 AM »
Read an MMM forum thread on frugality

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15852 on: May 04, 2023, 02:17:14 AM »
Did a coupon haul today.  Bought $135 in household/personal care items for only $2.67, via couponing -- this includes sales tax.  Many hours to prepare and it never goes as planned.. planned to get $195 of stuff for free.  But inventory wasn't stocked here and there and a couple coupons poofed on me.. ya never know when ibotta & shopkick coupons are just gonna disappear. [Was going to get about $24 in Axe body wash for free but the employee at CVS told me it was all stolen this week.. damn thieves messed up my plan lol.]

I need to do this. I didn't start any seed indoors so I need to direct sow some stuff which does well at this time.  Which will probably be a lot of Okra, basil as well as cucumbers perhaps.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 02:21:47 AM by jnw »

Treedream

• Stubble
« Reply #15853 on: May 04, 2023, 03:27:33 AM »
Did a coupon haul today.  Bought $135 in household/personal care items for only $2.67, via couponing -- this includes sales tax.  Many hours to prepare and it never goes as planned.. planned to get $195 of stuff for free.  But inventory wasn't stocked here and there and a couple coupons poofed on me.. ya never know when ibotta & shopkick coupons are just gonna disappear. [Was going to get about $24 in Axe body wash for free but the employee at CVS told me it was all stolen this week.. damn thieves messed up my plan lol.]

I need to do this. I didn't start any seed indoors so I need to direct sow some stuff which does well at this time.  Which will probably be a lot of Okra, basil as well as cucumbers perhaps.

That is a crazy discount on stuff you (I assume) need anyway! Where I am all offers are always not to be combined with other offers, or I would soon turn into a couponing Queen.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15854 on: May 04, 2023, 03:35:07 AM »

That is a crazy discount on stuff you (I assume) need anyway! Where I am all offers are always not to be combined with other offers, or I would soon turn into a couponing Queen.

I coupon at Walmart and CVS.  For Walmart I use any combination of Ibotta, Coupons.com, Shopmium, Alexa, Shopkick,Swagbucks, Checkout51.  For CVS it's mostly printed (or internet printable) paper MFR coupons, which stack with CVS coupons and get Extrabucks back... roll the Extra Bucks.  Sometimes you can get an Ibotta rebate as well for a CVS item.

There is some stuff which I don't need but I buy because it is a money maker.  i.e. I make cash on acquiring it (taking sales tax into consideration as well).  I give stuff to family members I don't need, or donate it.  For example I got 3 x Covegirl Perfect Blend eyeliner pencil for $4.99 each today, but with all the coupons and rebates it turns out it's free plus $6 money maker.   So I acquired them to take $6 off other things.   I am giving 2 of the eyeliners to my niece and I might keep the third one -- I occasionally wear makeup -- but will probably just donate it.  I'll keep a box of surplus items I don't need and when it fills up, I'll then donate it to someone on Buy Nothing Facebook group.   I just started couponing a month ago and I basically got paid about $65 to acquire $750 in free stuff.   I'll probably do it for another month and build a nice stockpile and then take break for a while.. maybe a few months.  Once the stockpile starts getting lower, then I'll do it for another few weeks or a month to build it back up.

I just gave my niece and nephew some dishwashing detergent, laundry detergent, makeup, razors, air fresheners, shampoo etcc the other day.. about $70 in stuff.. they really appreciated it since they are low on money.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 03:44:01 AM by jnw »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #15855 on: May 04, 2023, 04:15:37 PM »
Arranged a phone survey with a company I bought something from. They will send a $25 Amazon gift card, which I'll use to buy a replacement phone case (dropped mine once too often) and possibly another set of screen protectors! Or something else that's on my usual grocery or drug store list.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15856 on: May 05, 2023, 07:47:18 AM »
Batched car errands

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #15857 on: May 05, 2023, 12:12:33 PM »
Fixed our ailing DVD player.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15858 on: May 07, 2023, 09:25:37 AM »
I don't often watch movies or TV, but I was in a lot of pain last night and wanted to distract myself - so I found a way to get take-out and rent a fun movie with gift cards and credits that I had built up from various rewards programs.

RetireOrDieTrying

• Stubble
  • Gallivantin' across the US
« Reply #15859 on: May 07, 2023, 09:34:09 AM »
I installed a bidet. I have spent 53 years internally snickering at people who wanted something blasted on their backside.

I was wrong. So, SO wrong.

Spurred by others' reports of saving money on toilet paper, I reluctantly spent $23 for the bidet on Amazon, and $26 for the water line adapters and fittings. Based upon this initial outlay and my typical TP usage, I expect an ROI within the year on saved toilet paper.

This. Is. Awesome.

Not to be TMI, but the extra feeling of clean is just glorious. I wish I'd done this long, long ago.

A tip of the hat to those on here who recommended one.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15860 on: May 07, 2023, 10:18:40 AM »
Congrats! 

I installed a bidet. I have spent 53 years internally snickering at people who wanted something blasted on their backside.

Spurred by others' reports of saving money on toilet paper, I reluctantly spent $23 for the bidet on Amazon, and $26 for the water line adapters and fittings. Based upon this initial outlay and my typical TP usage, I expect an ROI within the year on saved toilet paper.

This. Is. Awesome.

Not to be TMI, but the extra feeling of clean is just glorious. I wish I'd done this long, long ago.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15861 on: May 07, 2023, 01:26:01 PM »

This. Is. Awesome.

Which one did you buy?  Asking for a friend.

RetireOrDieTrying

• Stubble
  • Gallivantin' across the US
« Reply #15862 on: May 07, 2023, 09:32:24 PM »
I installed a bidet.
Which one did you buy?  Asking for a friend.

The Luxe Bidet NEO 120. You should look at the other models, as they have some which include warm water, front washing for the ladies, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Luxe+Bidet

If you're in a residential application then you'll save the money of the water fittings - I only had to do that because I live in a motor home, and the water lines are different than a house.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15863 on: May 13, 2023, 08:16:19 AM »
Using leftover to top a homemade pizza

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15864 on: May 22, 2023, 08:15:21 AM »
I was at the grocery store and wanted to buy chicken breast to make chicken salad (I've been in the mood lately and I have a beautiful loaf of sandwich bread from the farmer's market that I bought in a moment of weakness). Chicken was expensive but then I noticed that chicken tenders were 25% cheaper than breasts - they're usually a more expensive cut. Weird, but I'll take the savings! Glad I looked.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15865 on: May 22, 2023, 09:19:28 AM »
Changed a headlight bulb and the serpentine belt on my car. I'm sure I made more than my hourly rate by doing it myself.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15866 on: May 22, 2023, 11:12:08 PM »
Got free compost from the county. It's a new program since they started collecting food waste last year, which is pretty cool.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15867 on: May 24, 2023, 07:30:54 AM »
Ate lunch & breakfast for free at work. I'll charge our electric car today as well.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15868 on: May 24, 2023, 12:06:43 PM »
usual little things....batched our errands to minimize gas/wear and tear on car, ate breakfast at home, made biscotti at home to bring to a coffee date with our friends.

It's a slow steady accumulation of little things every day that leads to FI....

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15869 on: May 24, 2023, 01:12:38 PM »
Ugh, something is wrong with the RV and Mr. Dicey has tried everything. We now have an appointment at the Mercedes dealership that specializes in Sprinters. Not only is it a 25 mile one way trip with two vehicles, but this repair is probably going to cost a boatload. Good thing we're frugal the rest of the time. If it costs a lot, it won't sink us. In case you're curious, we bought the rig used, with cash from a profitable side gig.

But hey, I'm packing snacks for the journey.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15870 on: May 24, 2023, 02:58:45 PM »
A new Trader Joe's opened in the town to the north of us. I went there today and bought a bunch of fruit, frozen appetizers, and cheese. Yes, it was expensive compared to my usual Aldi trip, but we're going away this weekend to celebrate our anniversary. For less than the price of dinner in a nice restaurant, I got enough food for seven meals.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15871 on: May 25, 2023, 07:58:19 PM »
Used my bus pass to get around for errands and appointments today. I used 6 different routes and also walked 17,500 steps.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15872 on: May 26, 2023, 12:50:42 PM »
I've been on a harvesting spree for the last six weeks -
1. Passionfruit for jam and cake and smoothies.

2. Roma tomatoes for sauces and soups and slicing tomatoes for sandwiches, salads. Cherry tomatoes for snacking.
3. African Blue Basil - I discovered that the dried flowers (dried on the stalk and then stripped off) look like seeds/seasoning and taste like basil heaven.
with a few drips of olive oil over sliced mozzarella and tomatoes - perfect Caprese salad. Flavorful and slightly spicy peppery - not hot.
4. Finally found a good Genovese (taste) basil that is still producing - classic flavor, love!

5. Peppers - I got a little carried away this year trying out eleven different varieties - all of them producing like crazy.
As the tomatoes are slowly on their way out - the peppers are still pumping and gearing up for the bumper crop award:).

Next on the agenda is pickling some cherry tomatoes and peppers for a change, usually I just freeze any peppers I don't use right away - we'll see how it goes, it sounds like it will be quite easy and quick to do.

6. Herbs for cooking and tea...organic and gourmet - fancy dinners at home, because I can and I enjoy both gardening and cooking.
Herbs for Aromatherapy, sachets, cleaning products and medicinal use - I got them all:).

The last two years I tested a lot of different basils - one of them a Tulsi (holy basil - medicinal) which turned out to be a true Vana - a tree basil.
The damn thing is at least seven feet tall and apparently perennial in our climate. I almost pulled it out of the tomato pot thinking it was a weed, but once I sniffed the leaves and saw the flowers I knew it had to be a basil.
Now that I know what it is, I planted one in the garden, but I still have two more (from seeds) that are in way too small pots - so maybe I'll have a mini Basil forest:) in my garden.
I think the Tulsi I really want to cultivate is the Rama for a cup of medicinal tea now and then. It did fine in a pot until I planted it in the wrong spot-oh well. Ugh - it isn't easy to find good, reliable information on herbs, especially the rare or medicinal ones.

7. BANANAS - oh my, I never knew bananas could taste this good!
We have Ice Cream Bananas - somehow deliciously creamy. I told Mr. R. there would be a banana cream pie/parfait in his future.
I'm not a fan of banana cream pie but these bananas, it would be a sin not to play with dessert recipes.
Got a batch ripening in the carport and another not yet ready to be harvested off the tree.

8. Kale... yeah, well, I made my first-ever batch of Kale chips from the dinosaur kale with the guidance of a young friend. Tasty! Mr. R. approved - apparently a good snack while watching baseball.
Then I made a kale salad with bacon and garlic chives from the garden ...

9. ELDERBERRIES - I will have to hurry up and harvest the Elderberry flowers to make Elderberry Champagne before they all become berries.
Now that my row of Elderberries is well established I'd love to have a bouquet of the beautiful Elderberry flowers for our table, just once.
I may have to wrangle the birds for enough elderberries to make a tincture. 

10. Just for FUN  - This weekend I plan on making some Mojitos for us to enjoy in the gazebo with my own Mojito mint - maybe I'll look into planting a few sugar canes next year too.

I could go on but let's just say
Our kitchen and dining area are fragrant with the scent of herbs.
In fact, one might think a witch lives here -
hanging drying herbs and baskets and bowls of produce everywhere, seedlings in the window, and tomatoes lining the window sill with more herbs hanging from the curtain rod.

I may start to cackle anytime now and use terms like Dearie).
The dining table is scattered with garden books and seed packets...
The end, until next season:).

This season's harvest has been bountiful and the new wildlife area I started last year is a wonderful success, better than I hoped for.
The garden is teeming with wildlife and you can feel the vibrant energy. We have more critters, frogs, butterflies, dragonflies, and birds than ever.
There is a line for the birdbath - can you believe it?

Oh! And... did you know there is a chocolate-scented daisy? Truly smells divine like real good quality cocoa or the best European chocolate truffles.
Not only did I find a plant at a garden festival but I scored a package of seeds online.

PROJECT - mostly free
I still need to install the outdoor shower I got last year on sale at Amazon - eye-roll. So I plan to guilt Mr. R. into helping me set it up this weekend (hence the Mojitos:).
I've saved two aluminum doors from an old shed to become the sides of the outdoor shower for privacy. I have metal fencing stakes that I got for free, I figured I could place the aluminum doors in between and screw them in at each end.  Using an old concrete AC foundation for the floor - broken up to suit the space and stenciled/painted with a palm leaf design. We have palm leaves (aka free stencil) and leftover paint.
Then next week I'll work on moving some of my ferns and other tropical greenery to give it some tropical flair and play around with a few Pinterest and YT-inspired ideas.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend if you happen to live in the States :)!
We'll be hanging out in the garden.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #15873 on: May 27, 2023, 05:32:03 AM »
I've been on a harvesting spree for the last six weeks -
1. Passionfruit for jam and cake and smoothies.

2. Roma tomatoes for sauces and soups and slicing tomatoes for sandwiches, salads. Cherry tomatoes for snacking.
3. African Blue Basil - I discovered that the dried flowers (dried on the stalk and then stripped off) look like seeds/seasoning and taste like basil heaven.
with a few drips of olive oil over sliced mozzarella and tomatoes - perfect Caprese salad. Flavorful and slightly spicy peppery - not hot.
4. Finally found a good Genovese (taste) basil that is still producing - classic flavor, love!

5. Peppers - I got a little carried away this year trying out eleven different varieties - all of them producing like crazy.
As the tomatoes are slowly on their way out - the peppers are still pumping and gearing up for the bumper crop award:).

Next on the agenda is pickling some cherry tomatoes and peppers for a change, usually I just freeze any peppers I don't use right away - we'll see how it goes, it sounds like it will be quite easy and quick to do.

6. Herbs for cooking and tea...organic and gourmet - fancy dinners at home, because I can and I enjoy both gardening and cooking.
Herbs for Aromatherapy, sachets, cleaning products and medicinal use - I got them all:).

The last two years I tested a lot of different basils - one of them a Tulsi (holy basil - medicinal) which turned out to be a true Vana - a tree basil.
The damn thing is at least seven feet tall and apparently perennial in our climate. I almost pulled it out of the tomato pot thinking it was a weed, but once I sniffed the leaves and saw the flowers I knew it had to be a basil.
Now that I know what it is, I planted one in the garden, but I still have two more (from seeds) that are in way too small pots - so maybe I'll have a mini Basil forest:) in my garden.
I think the Tulsi I really want to cultivate is the Rama for a cup of medicinal tea now and then. It did fine in a pot until I planted it in the wrong spot-oh well. Ugh - it isn't easy to find good, reliable information on herbs, especially the rare or medicinal ones.

7. BANANAS - oh my, I never knew bananas could taste this good!
We have Ice Cream Bananas - somehow deliciously creamy. I told Mr. R. there would be a banana cream pie/parfait in his future.
I'm not a fan of banana cream pie but these bananas, it would be a sin not to play with dessert recipes.
Got a batch ripening in the carport and another not yet ready to be harvested off the tree.

8. Kale... yeah, well, I made my first-ever batch of Kale chips from the dinosaur kale with the guidance of a young friend. Tasty! Mr. R. approved - apparently a good snack while watching baseball.
Then I made a kale salad with bacon and garlic chives from the garden ...

9. ELDERBERRIES - I will have to hurry up and harvest the Elderberry flowers to make Elderberry Champagne before they all become berries.
Now that my row of Elderberries is well established I'd love to have a bouquet of the beautiful Elderberry flowers for our table, just once.
I may have to wrangle the birds for enough elderberries to make a tincture. 

10. Just for FUN  - This weekend I plan on making some Mojitos for us to enjoy in the gazebo with my own Mojito mint - maybe I'll look into planting a few sugar canes next year too.

I could go on but let's just say
Our kitchen and dining area are fragrant with the scent of herbs.
In fact, one might think a witch lives here -
hanging drying herbs and baskets and bowls of produce everywhere, seedlings in the window, and tomatoes lining the window sill with more herbs hanging from the curtain rod.

I may start to cackle anytime now and use terms like Dearie).
The dining table is scattered with garden books and seed packets...
The end, until next season:).

This season's harvest has been bountiful and the new wildlife area I started last year is a wonderful success, better than I hoped for.
The garden is teeming with wildlife and you can feel the vibrant energy. We have more critters, frogs, butterflies, dragonflies, and birds than ever.
There is a line for the birdbath - can you believe it?

Oh! And... did you know there is a chocolate-scented daisy? Truly smells divine like real good quality cocoa or the best European chocolate truffles.
Not only did I find a plant at a garden festival but I scored a package of seeds online.

PROJECT - mostly free
I still need to install the outdoor shower I got last year on sale at Amazon - eye-roll. So I plan to guilt Mr. R. into helping me set it up this weekend (hence the Mojitos:).
I've saved two aluminum doors from an old shed to become the sides of the outdoor shower for privacy. I have metal fencing stakes that I got for free, I figured I could place the aluminum doors in between and screw them in at each end.  Using an old concrete AC foundation for the floor - broken up to suit the space and stenciled/painted with a palm leaf design. We have palm leaves (aka free stencil) and leftover paint.
Then next week I'll work on moving some of my ferns and other tropical greenery to give it some tropical flair and play around with a few Pinterest and YT-inspired ideas.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend if you happen to live in the States :)!
We'll be hanging out in the garden.

Wow - what a haul!  The money saving aspect is nice, but it must pale in comparison to the flavorful aspect of it all!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15874 on: May 27, 2023, 05:46:09 AM »
This is not just today but a little bit every day for the last two weeks. We are moving soon, and are hiring movers for our furniture - DH has a bad back and I am pregnant, moving heavy things is just not happening. BUT! The movers charge hourly, in addition to the truck fee/mileage. So, we have been slowly packing and moving all the smaller stuff in small batches that we are able to handle without hurting ourselves. The more we are able to move on our own, the less time it will take the movers to do the rest, and the less it will cost.

All the books have been moved already, and the art off the walls, and I've started in on hobby/craft stuff, extra bath and cleaning products, winter clothes and bedding, and other things that we won't need in the next two weeks.

This could save us a few hundred dollars, if it shaves an hour or even half hour off the estimated move time.

I'm jealous of your harvest, @Rosy! I love canning and pickling, but not sure how much I'll be able to do this year. Already looks like we're going to mostly miss strawberry season at our local PYO farm...

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #15875 on: May 27, 2023, 07:21:44 AM »
Used random veggies from our fridge to make a veggie stew.

My sandal strap broke at an event, so I stapled the strap back on. It held long enough to get through the event.

One of my friends is repatriating and gave us her bulk spices. We are now good for another year or so. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15876 on: May 30, 2023, 08:04:05 AM »
I noticed this morning that my Internet service had gone up $5/month.  Jumped on the website and found out that my current plan has been discontinued.  But, the new plan being offered for the same price I was paying is technically a better plan (same upload/download speeds, but "unlimited" data instead of 700GB/month).  I'm irritated that I had to actually make the call instead of being moved over to the new plan automatically, but it's nice to not have to worry about going over the limit and being charged, especially with summer being here and the kiddo playing a lot of online games.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15877 on: May 30, 2023, 08:51:56 AM »
Bought a watermelon for a party. Made the rind into refrigerator pickles.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15878 on: May 30, 2023, 10:43:55 AM »

I did not know watermelon rinds were edible! That's super cool.

Are they good??

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15879 on: May 30, 2023, 10:49:51 AM »

I've been tempted to try this since I found out you could eat the rind, but I'm not sure I can convince DH to eat them. What do they taste like?

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15880 on: May 30, 2023, 11:19:02 AM »

I've been tempted to try this since I found out you could eat the rind, but I'm not sure I can convince DH to eat them. What do they taste like?

Just like cucumbers, but crispier.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15881 on: May 30, 2023, 11:21:20 AM »

Just like cucumbers, but crispier.

Just a thought-- I made mine super simple, with a 2:1 water:vinegar brine, a table-spoon-ish of salt, a shake of sugar, and some sliced onion. They will keep in the fridge for a week or so. I did not do any canning or cooking or anything. Proper watermelon rind pickles have particular spices, but I don't really care for those.

I've also seen watermelon rind sliced into thin "french fry" cuts and addded to salads-- may try that with the other half of the watermelon that hasn't been eaten yet.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #15882 on: June 03, 2023, 03:54:22 PM »
Mended some clothes that had been waiting for much too long. That’s seven things back in my winter wardrobe just in time for the cold weather.

Made lunch from last night’s leftovers and used homegrown pumpkin and broccoli for dinner.

Switched out my son’s toys at the toy library and errand stacked with buying meat from our favourite wholesale place in the same town.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15883 on: June 04, 2023, 02:36:50 PM »
Doing my laundry today to take advantage of off-peak electricity prices. Time-of-day pricing just started for the summer, so I'm going to try to shift my habits accordingly.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15884 on: June 05, 2023, 02:36:06 PM »
I made a bandana for my dog that holds ice cubes to keep him a bit cooler when we're outside in the heat. Cost $0  As an added bonus, he looks really fancy in it. While I had my sewing machine and fabric stash out, I also made him a giant bow tie. I love dressing up my huge dog, but I refuse to actually pay for dog costumes - I'm not all the way crazy yet.

I also ate the first lettuce of the year from my garden.
Have you seen this?
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+a+neck+cooling+bandana&oq=how+to+make+a+cooling+bandand&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0i13i512j0i13i30j0i22i30j0i8i13i30j0i390i650l2.15697j0j8&client=tablet-android-samsung-nf-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Newday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15885 on: June 06, 2023, 12:08:14 PM »

Do you peel the rinds? Last time I tried it, the peeling of the rinds took a while and it has put me off trying this again.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15886 on: June 06, 2023, 03:54:35 PM »
-Charged our electric car for free at work
-I've been using "tea infusers", which are intended for use in cold water, to break my occasional warm weather Starbucks iced tea splurges
-We had a "clean up the fridge/freezer" dinner last night, which reduces waste & ensure we aren't tossing food.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15887 on: June 06, 2023, 06:06:23 PM »

Do you peel the rinds? Last time I tried it, the peeling of the rinds took a while and it has put me off trying this again.

Yes, I peel them. It wasn't any worse than peeling a butternut squash, but I did use a big knife rather than a peeler.

Tonight I cut watermelon rind into very thin strips and stir-fried them with garlic, sesame oil, and soy sauce. They were delicious.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15888 on: June 07, 2023, 09:16:49 AM »

Yes, I peel them. It wasn't any worse than peeling a butternut squash, but I did use a big knife rather than a peeler.

Tonight I cut watermelon rind into very thin strips and stir-fried them with garlic, sesame oil, and soy sauce. They were delicious.

Interesting! I'll have to try this. I don't like wasting things, and I really like watermelon!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15889 on: June 07, 2023, 07:30:09 PM »
I spent $75 on a very good haircut at a hair salon and then came home and saved money when I ate my dinner prepared by me!  I also worked on a craft project with gifted free yarn. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15890 on: June 07, 2023, 07:49:08 PM »
So this was a fail, but last weekend we came home from being gone overnight to discover the freezer door on the fridge was slightly ajar. Everything seemed fine… but we couldn’t be sure and we’ve had so much sickness in the past 8 months or so neither of us was willing to risk a stomachache or worse… so we tossed all of the meat. We kept the veg and baked goods.  Here’s the money saving bit. We almost ran to the store to grab some chicken and sausage but we held off and came up with a couple ideas and we’ve been cooking and eating vegetarian all week and haven’t had to shop yet. 

We’re also planning to eat down the freezer and give it a thorough cleaning.  The door got caught on the little child safety latch my husband installed, so it wasn’t like it was too full to close properly but it was getting uncomfortably full and now seems like a good time to work though it.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15891 on: June 08, 2023, 05:43:21 AM »
@PMG- that stinks! I'm really sorry.  We had that happen once, too, but it was due to the power company turning off our electricity (in error) for nonpayment.  When I was able to show them the bank drafts and that it was *their* error, they actually refunded me the cost of the groceries I had to throw away!! So that was my "what small things did you do to save money" story.  I spent several weeks hounding the electric company!!

That said, I learned about the "penny freezer" trick through that experience.  You take a small cup of water (like the ones we used to keep in our bathroom and freeze it, then put a penny on top.  If you think you've had a freezer issue, you check the position of the penny.  If it is still on top, everything is ok.  If it's on the bottom of the cup, everything fully defrosted and needs to go. 

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15892 on: June 08, 2023, 11:04:58 AM »
Realized that if I wanted to give all my seedlings a fair shake this year, I do actually need another trellis for cucumbers.

My partner's on a roll with woodworking, so I asked him if he could make me a trellis. We had extra wood in the garage (previous owners left it) and we'd garbage-picked some rabbit fencing from a neighbor a while back, so... I can hear the whirring now of the saw. Can't wait.

ghsebldr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • stevesgreenhouses
« Reply #15893 on: June 12, 2023, 10:48:43 PM »
I was on my way to the casino with my monthly $300 budget and stopped at Grocery Outlet. I spent $270 on chicken breasts sliced cheese Mayo and carrots.
Drove over to a new to me food bank and dropped them off. So I guess you could say I saved $30 and found a new place to volunteer once a week.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15894 on: June 17, 2023, 11:17:01 AM »
Planned necessary car errands for efficiency

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15895 on: June 21, 2023, 07:39:19 AM »
-Charged electric car for free at work
-Used a $20 grocery store reward to buy lunch fixings for teens

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #15896 on: June 21, 2023, 06:30:48 PM »
Long lunchtime walk, the hope is investing in a healthy lifestyle results in lower lifetime health costs (and better health!)

Put some cheese on the leftovers I'd been avoiding eating, to make them appealing and avoid food waste, or even worse, dining out!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15897 on: June 22, 2023, 02:56:42 PM »
Today I had a check of my eyes at an optician. I need a new reading part in my progressive glasses, therefore new glasses. In Norway that costs about 400 euro. I ordered my new glasses for the first time at a Chinese shop through Ali Express. The seller has 98% satisfaction. I hope this works out, then we will buy it there the next time as well. The glasses only cost 80 euro at this shop, an enormous difference. We will need to do the adjustments ourselves. We measures the sizes of my old glasses and compared them to the new.

I wanted to see the glasses on my face, so DH took a full frontal picture of my face and painted the glasses on them. That helped.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15898 on: June 24, 2023, 10:59:18 AM »
Today I’m using up some free yarn for a charity afghan project.  I redeemed a $5 Fetch reward for future groceries.

I’ve purchased 3 meals so far this weekend but the company was good.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15899 on: June 24, 2023, 01:39:27 PM »
Went to Costco today, because the person who was supposed to host our group tonight is sick, so we're stepping in. Twelve on short notice? No problem! Despite the weekend insanity, we stuck to the list and spent $100.13, which is something of a miracle for us.