Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020591 times)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1550 on: October 01, 2014, 01:04:39 PM »
What exactly is his concern regarding cockroaches? Is he afraid they're hiding in the woodwork or something?

That aside, I love Craigslist furniture. If you're patient, you can find very nice furniture for very good prices and it's usually already a little dinged up so I don't have to feel bad when WE ding it up. (I'm a klutz and we have 2 three year olds and 4 pets.)

+1  We bought a very nice patio set this summer on Craigslist for less than $200:  A table with granite slabs, and four chairs with washable, comfy cushions.  Better than the crap we could ever buy new at the store.

He vaguely recalls his sister-in-law has a cockroach story regarding buying furniture off craigslist.  Knowing this lady, I highly doubt she has ever bought craigslist furniture so I inquired if perhaps he was remembering Big Bang Theory's couch cockroach story, but no.  I was pretty sure that they only come home in things like couches/beds, but Mr. Google informed me otherwise - apparently you actually can bring them home in tables (even if not so likely).

We moved into our house in January and we had a very lengthy list of things we wanted to buy, so I'm pretty excited to make the mental change from "find it on sale plus use a coupon" to hunt on craigslist and save even more, plus help the environment.  It also delays when we would buy, because it'll take time to find the right piece and now I don't need to feel anxious I haven't bought it yet.  I also love the lack of fear of banging things up comment.  We got the floors redone when we moved into our house because they needed it, and I'm constantly worried about scratching them. 

My only issue so far seems that a lot that are listed are selling with giant other pieces of furniture (hutches, sideboards) that I don't think we really want cluttering up our home, but I suppose I can try to negotiate to buy separately or try to resell if need be.  (Also amazing entertainment has been looking at *craigslist* furniture that is listed for $7500.  If I was buyign $7500 worth of furniture, I don't think craigslist would occur to me as a place to look!)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1551 on: October 01, 2014, 01:09:28 PM »
Other saves today - brought in sandwich from home, made on homemade baquette.  Husband & I also declined the *free* movie preview tickets tonight from a friend (where we would have bought dinner out).

And it's not today but I'm thrilled so - MIL researched online our problem with the car's check engine light (doesn't seem that repairing things in the car turns it off).  She figured out which wire to disconnect and reconnect to temporarily reset the light so we could get the car inspected and have it pass (yay).  I'm afraid to say this and jinx it, but after having driven it approximately 200+ miles, it hasn't come back on so maybe it's also fixed...

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1552 on: October 01, 2014, 03:42:39 PM »
Other saves today - brought in sandwich from home, made on homemade baquette.  Husband & I also declined the *free* movie preview tickets tonight from a friend (where we would have bought dinner out).

And it's not today but I'm thrilled so - MIL researched online our problem with the car's check engine light (doesn't seem that repairing things in the car turns it off).  She figured out which wire to disconnect and reconnect to temporarily reset the light so we could get the car inspected and have it pass (yay).  I'm afraid to say this and jinx it, but after having driven it approximately 200+ miles, it hasn't come back on so maybe it's also fixed...

Don't know if it's relevant to you but we learned after much running around that our Honda Civic's check engine light comes on whenever the gas cap isn't screwed on tight enough.  Something to do with the oxygen sensor.

Nancy

« Reply #1553 on: October 01, 2014, 06:41:34 PM »
Scooped up a free banana and bagel at work today for tomorrow's breakfast. Resisted the urge to go to the supermarket for items I would like, but don't need. Had a no spend day. Packed my leftover dinner for tomorrow's lunch.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1554 on: October 01, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »
Picked up a prescription at the grocery store this afternoon.  Had to wait 25 minutes for it to be ready.  Wandered around the store, ate the salmon sample, read some magazines until the prescription was ready.  Did not buy anything else.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #1555 on: October 01, 2014, 10:39:07 PM »
I had basically used up my "gourmet bean blend."  There is a Winco near the library (which I had to go to anyway) so I thought I would pop over to that grocer and hit up the bulk food section.  Lo and behold, they have a bean blend with essentially the same beans for $1.34/lb.  I checked to see what the prices were for each of the beans that went into the blend.  The prices of the various legumes ranged from 68 cents a pound to $1.21/lb.  Not a one was over $1.34/lb.  So I bagged up the 8 varieties that I wanted and saved a whopping 89 cents!

And I got my flu shot at Costco at no charge, thanks to my insurance.  Now I shouldn't have to worry about missing work due to the flu.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1556 on: October 02, 2014, 09:34:20 AM »
Saw a friend post some stuff for sale.  Included was the exact bunk bed we wanted, so we bought that for less than 1/3 of the new price.  It was less than a year old.  Will recoup the cost and then some selling the non-bunk twin beds we have now.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #1557 on: October 02, 2014, 09:41:53 AM »
Switched to tea a year ago.  Cost = $1.00 for 100 tea bags.  Lasts 3 months.  Basically $4.00 per year or as much as the average Starbucks drinker spends everyday!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1558 on: October 02, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
Inspired by the person who weighed their coffee a bit upthread, I put exactly one level scoop in my french press this morning.  The first cup was a little thin.  The second one was just right.  Take home lesson:  Let coffee steep a little longer.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1559 on: October 02, 2014, 12:31:05 PM »

Don't know if it's relevant to you but we learned after much running around that our Honda Civic's check engine light comes on whenever the gas cap isn't screwed on tight enough.  Something to do with the oxygen sensor.

Yeah, we had thought that might be the case with our Honda Civic, but it wasn't.  We've had that light on for maybe a year and half now (two inspections).

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1560 on: October 04, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
Offspring suggested going to see a movie today.  After much deliberation and looking at the schedule for the cheapo theater, it turned out there was nothing all of us wanted to see that none of us had seen already.  So I suggested we play a board game instead, which everyone agreed would be more fun anyway.  House of nerds!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1561 on: October 04, 2014, 06:03:41 PM »
Took the Hub to the dollar sale at the Half-Price Books outlet.  Among other things picked up three 25 cent murder mysteries in French for the grandson of a neighbor who is achieving his first academic success in that class.  Don't know if he can actually read them yet but he can carry them around and look cool. 

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #1562 on: October 04, 2014, 06:04:32 PM »
Cleaned up my lawn tractor and mounted the snow plow for a prospective buyer. I have been using my push mower and my snow thrower.

I removed a stacked washer/dryer and spent $5 on yellow gas tape and a 1/2" plug. I used a hand truck to get it outside. A hooked up another dryer. Hope the Mrs likes the work.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1563 on: October 04, 2014, 06:38:47 PM »
Drove 20 minutes for a huge 2 cart stockup at winco. Man do I love the prices
there! Brought our own bags so saved a bit with that too. Hate it when I forget the bags!

Chicken bones becoming a rich stock in the crockpot this afternoon while we were shopping.

Hubs took the kids to the library (free) the beach (also free) while I put away groceries and cooked dinner. A good trade, IMHO!

Will watch a library movie tonite with the fam and eat air popped popcorn. 

Worked on getting YNAB set up.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1564 on: October 04, 2014, 09:04:22 PM »
I went to a professional soccer game today with a season ticket, gas for the car, and $5 for parking that were entirely paid for with cash I got from scalping tickets to special events at the stadium.  I ate lunch at a restaurant with a friend who paid for my meal because I don't pay to eat out.  Total cost for today's entertainment: $0.  This was after I got paid this morning for the past month's martial arts lessons I taught, so I actually made money today while pretty much playing around and having fun all day.

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #1565 on: October 05, 2014, 06:58:09 AM »
put a new serpentine belt on the car. $41 bucks for the GM OEM belt vs $72 retail, and it took me all of 10 minutes. Of course also saved by not paying labor fees at a shop.

AC belt went out while we were traveling, figured this one was about due too at 14 years and 120,000 miles. Better to do in the driveway than out on the road.

Runny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1566 on: October 05, 2014, 07:22:27 AM »
Collected the free popcorn-at-the-movies coupons that everybody in my building threw out and am going to go to a free advance movie screening next week with free popcorn for myself and my boyfriend!

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1567 on: October 05, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »
Collected the free popcorn-at-the-movies coupons that everybody in my building threw out and am going to go to a free advance movie screening next week with free popcorn for myself and my boyfriend!

Love this!!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1568 on: October 05, 2014, 10:04:31 AM »
Two weeks ago the loss leader at Albertson's was eggs.  Bought four dozen.  This week it was milk.  Bought two gallons.  Just finished making a crockpot full of tapioca pudding which we both love.  Currently drinking it warm as today's breakfast.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #1569 on: October 06, 2014, 06:36:30 AM »
Went to a clothing swap yesterday -- got a bunch of new-to-me clothes I'm excited to wear!
Also made a big pot of soup.

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #1570 on: October 06, 2014, 06:45:18 AM »
got free haircut using coupon for new place in town

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1571 on: October 06, 2014, 07:34:25 AM »
Bought, sectioned, brined, and roasted a utility turkey that was marked down to 78 cents a pound for (Canadian) Thanksgiving. Brining is good. Many trimmings made ridiculously rich stock, which will become gravy today.

Also made a big batch of hummus from dried chickpeas. Same work as a small batch, and it's nice to have a little every day. Plus I have some chick peas left over to simmer in some turkey broth.

Girlfriend's brother took apart our cheesy old Casio keyboard, which was sounding really distorted. Turned out somebody (ahem) had dropped a guitar pick into the speaker. Ten minute fix.

NewbieFrugalUK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1572 on: October 06, 2014, 09:01:59 AM »
Its pouring with rain and I have a nasty cold. So instead of going out to do the week's grocery shopping, I looked in the fridge, worked out how to make dinner from what's in there, and stayed indoors instead. No spend day is just a bonus!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1573 on: October 06, 2014, 10:18:11 AM »
Made 3 quarts of apple sauce using free apples from the neighbors tree (collected with permission).  We still have over 20 pounds left to process.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1574 on: October 06, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »
Making minestrone with a bunch of veggies I salvaged from the guy in the produce dept. who was going to throw them out, chicken stock I made from the leftovers of a chicken I skinned and boned,  dried beans from Winco's bulk section and one egg's worth of pasta which I will make this afternoon.  Plan to top it with some unknown, vaguely Romanon-like hard cheese that I bought when it was approaching it's sell-by date.

Stirred and wet my compost.  While I was doing that my neighbor told me that they run their junk mail through a shredder and compost it too.  Promptly asked if I could come over and use the shredder.  Now I just have to save up the junk mail.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1575 on: October 06, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »
Soup currently in the crock pot:  Dried red potato mix (FREE!), a can of pinto beans (bought with a coupon), chicken broth (50 cents a can), cabbage (stretched out one head into 3 different recipes).

Last night I used free floss and mouthwash from our dentist.

Saved (and washed!) the ace bandage from my surgery to add to our first aid kit.

Had yesterday's leftover homemade mocha java this morning.

Encouraged DH to ask that his 401K be increased to the max after today's benefits meeting at his work.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1576 on: October 06, 2014, 12:54:21 PM »
Also making applesauce, like Threshkin above, but my apples were purchased -- no free source :-/

Big banana box (about 35 pounds) was 50 cents a pound. Will force myself to go back and buy another box as soon as I get through processing this one. So nice to have a big bowl of delicious (cheap!) applesauce in the middle of winter, so I know I won't regret putting in the time. Trying to stay positive, and not complainypants, about putting food away for winter.

Making pancakes for lunch for the kids and I, topping will be some of the warm applesauce we just made. Recipe from http://www.sixfiguresunder.com This pancake mix is SO tasty -- all you add is an egg and 3/4 cup of milk per cup of mix. So handy! It fits perfectly in the VERY large pickle jar from Costco (American Costco).  I wrote the directions on the jar so that any of my older teens could make a tiny batch for themselves.

Drinking a delicious cup of Earl Grey tea in my favourite mug!

Hung a load of laundry out in the sunshine. Poor weather coming, so grabbing these sunny days while I can!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1577 on: October 06, 2014, 10:06:54 PM »
Packed a cooler with lentils, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, canned tuna, coffee, homemade kombucha  and bunches of garden produce and brought it along on my work trip.  Hotel has a fridge and microwave, so I ought to be able to avoid almost restaurants and throw my per diem check at my car loan instead.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1578 on: October 07, 2014, 03:01:32 AM »
I'm going to make a big batch of something today to eat for the rest of the week, maybe veg chilli.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #1579 on: October 07, 2014, 06:47:40 AM »
This past weekend picked the last of the tomatoes from our garden and cold pack canned them.

Made sauce with what was leftover.

Grilled up turkey burgers(with spinach and feta) for the week.

Picked apples from our trees for eating.  Have a lot of applesauce already canned.

DH split more wood...almost have 11 face cord but will continue to split as much as possible before the really cold weather is here.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1580 on: October 07, 2014, 08:01:29 AM »
Sipping on some Chai made from homemade concentrate
Dehydrating some (bought on sale) sweet potato for dog treats - 1 large potato = 3 month supply
Crockpot of chicken scraps cooking for stock
Going through a decluttering process in case we move, found some useful things I had forgotten we had and were thinking about buying.
Working on some aromaptherapy Christmas presents which I am trading for some bad-ass retro gaming crochet for my gift giving.
Dinner will be homemade naan, rice and butter chicken, which will give us leftovers for the rest of the week.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1581 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:25 AM »
Used up the remaining 1/4 cup corn meal and stale pork rinds to bread shrimp last night.

For my sister's birthday this weekend I am wrapping her presents in a gently used gift bag and tissue, and gifting her one of the bottles of wine I bought during an August excursion.

Brought leftovers here to work for a snack.

Planned meals out of the freezer for the rest of the week.  I do believe this new $200/mo for groceries and HBAs is sustainable, if planned very carefully.  :)

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1582 on: October 07, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »
After a couple of months of paying $5.90 for weekly mailings between our two offices (client checks are sent to our main office in the southeast, but are processed here at our home in the northeast), I investigated a cheaper way.  We'll save a whole $2.54 per week, baby!

Small things, indeed.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1583 on: October 07, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »
My 35 cent lunch

10 crackers 7cents (99 cent pkg/30 servings 5 crackers per serving)
2oz cheese  24 cents (8oz./99cents)
pot of tea  4 cents  (1/4 oz loose tea 5.99/35oz) Not quite fair since 1/4 oz lasts all day.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #1584 on: October 07, 2014, 05:44:53 PM »
Going to a wedding this weekend, packing for 3.5 hour train journey tomorrow, no food in the house... made onion bhajis with all the spices in the cupboard, flour, oil, water, butter n lemon, and heaps of onions. Wrapped them up, all ready to go.

No need to buy dinner or train food on my travels. Transportable goodness!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1585 on: October 08, 2014, 09:16:58 AM »
Found a container of wood hole drillers on the side of the road and gave them to DH.  He said he can use them.  Yay!

Using a Taco Bell mild sauce packet with lunch.  :D

Planning on making burritos from leftover chicken for tonight's supper.

Instead of me paying the postage, having one of the insurance companies send a information packet out to one of my clients.  Four keystrokes on the computer vs. $2+ postage.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1586 on: October 08, 2014, 09:28:07 AM »
Packed my lunch.  I grabbed a few pieces of leftover pizza from the freezer for lunch.

We usually have 1-2 pieces of pizza leftover from pizza night.  Instead of putting it in the fridge and forgetting about it, I put it in the freezer.  The pieces were starting to pile up.  Today's lunch was a great way to empty out my freezer and pack my lunch quickly. 

I'm also drinking tap water from a reusable cup that I received free from work. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1587 on: October 08, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »
Making lunch out of the fridge for myself and kids.
Was tempted to hit up a drive thtu today since we have a busy afternoon ahead if us. Mustachianism wins again!

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #1588 on: October 08, 2014, 01:31:19 PM »
I sold a shredder and met at Wawa today. I took the $5 home instead of buying a milkshake.

I also have been buying the 4 for 5 Banquet frozen meals lately for my lunch while working at home.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1589 on: October 08, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »
Picked up an all cotton flannel pillow case for 97 cents with military discount at the Goodwill store.  I have been looking for one with a vivid print to make handkerchiefs. 

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1590 on: October 09, 2014, 04:04:32 AM »
Resisted the urge to get fries on the way home yesterday and cooked pasta instead. Saved a couple of euros and felt better for my health as well.
Made a batch of 5 liters laundry detergent / all purpose cleaner using a bar of grated soap and washing soda. Costs: 0.40 cts and some gas for heating it up.
Got some dartfrogs breeding by stimulating monsoon (heavy misting and feeding for the past week): now have 7 eggs in the incubater that will turn into 350€ worth of froglets in a few months if all goes well :).
Put some things up on the local freecycle to it a second life. Got some nice things that way in the past, so time to refill my karma ;)
First dry day this week, so put up some laundry outside (I'm on stand-by to run outside and snatch them of the line the second it starts raining. Don't you just love Dutch weather...).
Harvested some zucchini, pumpkins, chestnut and parsnips from my backyard and will turn that into some good and free autumn food.
Today is eating-from-the-fridge/cupboard day. So much leftovers waiting to be turned into something nice!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1591 on: October 09, 2014, 06:46:46 AM »
That is true with any car.  The first thing I do if my check engine light comes on is open and close tight the gas cap.  If the light is still on after another 100 km it is time to call my garage.  I have seen this with Jeeps, Subarus and Mazdas.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1592 on: October 09, 2014, 08:20:24 AM »
Cut a big sponge in half. Now I have twice as many.

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #1593 on: October 09, 2014, 08:38:52 AM »
Cooked dried beans for the first time, so I can use them instead of canned beans.  Semi-successful; I need to figure out the pressure cooker, which was also a first for me.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1594 on: October 09, 2014, 09:42:25 AM »
Drinking microwaved leftover coffee.  Bread, made from Costco bulk flour, is rising.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1595 on: October 09, 2014, 09:49:40 AM »
Bought 3 750ml bottles of Rum for a net cost of $1.08 each.  The local liquor store had them on sale for $14.99 each and the manufacturer was offering a $45.00 rebate if you bought 3.  All I paid was the tax and a little time cost of money while I wait for the refund.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1596 on: October 13, 2014, 07:07:45 PM »
a) Cancelled my New York Times subscription today.

b) Have abstained from alcohol for 28 days...on my way to a 90 day era of cleanliness.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1597 on: October 13, 2014, 10:19:52 PM »
Did not go to half price Columbus Day sale at Goodwill today.  There is nothing we need.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1598 on: October 14, 2014, 12:02:07 AM »
1) Brought food from the fridge and pantry for road trip today.

2) Watched old "hi-8" tapes of when our oldest children were little -- 2 hours of free, gut-busting entertainment! Highly recommended!

3) Were on road trip and although we hadn't planned on it, we needed gas. Instead of filling the tank at the tourist area/expensive gas station, we just put in 20 bucks worth and will fill it at our usual cheap station near home.

4) Homemade soup for dinner.

Falconer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1599 on: October 14, 2014, 08:01:28 AM »
Worked from home and figured out a way how to sign documents on my tablet. Saving me a 200 km round trip to the office. So I only left the house to buy food. Might go and check out the gym next to my new building for a free gym session. Saves me driving to my regular gym.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!