Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1733284 times)

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1500 on: September 20, 2014, 02:25:15 PM »
I took my lunch to work every day this week, and didn't purchase any coffee or ice capp from Tim Horton's. My new office has a Keurig, and supplies coffee, so that is nice.

Btw, found the mug in my profile pic at the Dollar Store, and it is my new work mug.
''

LOVE your new mug!!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1501 on: September 20, 2014, 03:14:11 PM »
Hung 2 loads of laundry -- nice and sunny day. Returned library books and videos on time, and renewed 3 that I wanted to keep for a bit longer.

oldladystache

• Bristles
« Reply #1502 on: September 20, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »
Saved some seeds from an amazing tomato plant that popped up in my garden this year.  I'm not sure if it will breed true, but I have to try!  It's dark red with green seeds and shoulders, and is the sweetest most delicious tomato I have ever had.

If I send you a stamped addressed envelope may I have a couple?

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #1503 on: September 20, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »
Had to take my computer in for a repair, and got $15 off the cost just by asking. (Go to the local shop instead of Apple Store, there's more wiggle room!)

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1504 on: September 20, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »
Saved some seeds from an amazing tomato plant that popped up in my garden this year.  I'm not sure if it will breed true, but I have to try!  It's dark red with green seeds and shoulders, and is the sweetest most delicious tomato I have ever had.

Sure.  No need to send an envelope, just pm me your address.  I have enough saved for probably 40 plants, and I don't need that many!

It will be at least another week before they are dry and ready to mail out.

oldladystache

• Bristles
« Reply #1505 on: September 20, 2014, 10:06:49 PM »

Sure.  No need to send an envelope, just pm me your address.  I have enough saved for probably 40 plants, and I don't need that many!

It will be at least another week before they are dry and ready to mail out.

PM sent. Thanks.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1506 on: September 21, 2014, 03:04:05 AM »
I re-used my floss from yesterday.

I know I know, it's kinda 'ew' - but stick with me.  When I think about it, if I was transported back into the 1800s and all I had in my pocket was the floss I'd used yesterday, you can bet your socks I'd use that floss until it wore out (I'd clean it before each use).  That thought experiment led me to re-using floss.

In fact the floss issue came up during the days when when DH and I were considering an imminent retirement. As we both flossed before bed, he'd say, "so, if I reuse floss, can I quit my job?"  And I'd say, "yes, but only if you reuse floss."

I don't think I will reuse mine but you reminded me that I needed to buy floss, thanks.:)

allsummerlong

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1507 on: September 21, 2014, 01:13:20 PM »
I bought a watermelon on sale. Now I have watermelon rind chutney in my crockpot. Trying for the first time, hope it is tasty!

I will be very interested in how this comes out. Please post.

UPDATE: The Watermelon Chutney turned out great! I added a little more serrano pepper, some chopped up crystallized ginger and some whole mustard seeds.

I had lots of extra watermelon so I also made the watermelon curry that was linked in the post. It was OK to start with - My watermelon rind was weird though, the outside parts of it really got soft so it was a very weird texture. I solved that by buzzing it up in my food processor so it made a sauce - and was actually really yummy! Served with some rice and poppadums and chutney it was a super cheap, tasty meal that has fed us for a few days.

Recipe is here: http://myheartbeets.com/watermelon-rind-chutney/

I also made some of David Chang's pickled watermelon rind - but I wasn't too fussy about it, again because of the hardness of the rind. I don't know if it was just my watermelon or what. It definitely had a much thinner rind then most watermelons I have had. I do think that watermelon rind would be a great addition to a batch of chow or mustard pickles.

Thanks so much for this great idea! :)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1508 on: September 21, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
I checked out MMM recommends and found out that geico had home insurance affiliates and saved $80 for the year with less than a 20 minute phone call.  YES!!!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:02:12 PM by Gin1984 »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1509 on: September 21, 2014, 03:08:55 PM »
Leftover hamburgers for lunch after church, from big family BBQ we hosted yesterday.  Chicken from our bulk buy from a local farmer for our dinner. Bought 50 -- one a week should last us about a year.

isbjshaffer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Paying down 40k in Student Loans by 9/1/15!
    • Church of Acts
« Reply #1510 on: September 21, 2014, 04:48:54 PM »
I vacuumed my air filter to make it last longer lol
My new blog is inspired by MMM! I would appreciate your support! http://www.churchofactsblog.blogspot.com/

TurtleMarkets

« Reply #1511 on: September 21, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »
Farmers market veggies. Cheaper and taste way better than stores.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1512 on: September 21, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »
Just watched a video about how to bone a chicken leg and thigh.  Can get a deal on chicken leg quarters if I buy four 10 lb. bags.  I can spend a day boning them and repacking the meat in half lb. portions.  Then I will have all that skin and bones to make a ton of broth.  Have to wait a while though.  My freezer is pretty full right now.  Too bad.  I was looking at some of the chicken recipes over at Budget Bytes and thinking, "I could make that, and that, and that..."  Now that I am sure I can do it, it will happen.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1513 on: September 22, 2014, 05:20:08 AM »
Saved the cost of a new camera after visiting http://shouldibuythis.org/
... for now.

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1514 on: September 22, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
Went to the doctor for my annual check up.  While there I got a flu shot and blood/urine work done.  By combining this work with my annual checkup everything was free.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1515 on: September 22, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
Made a weekly menu and planned my shopping.  Mastering this is my current goal so I am pleased to report that I did it.  I am even more pleased to report that my shopping list for the week is:  Flour, potatoes.  That's it.  Before I started doing this I would just have automatically gone to the grocery store and wandered around picking up whatever looked good until my brain got the mysterious ping that says, "You have shopped enough."

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1516 on: September 22, 2014, 12:20:28 PM »
Yesterday I cleaned out and reorganized my 14 year old horse trailer to make it more functional and all around nicer.  That ought to keep me from dreaming of a shiny new trailer for at least another year or two.

Also cut my hops plants down and picked about 8# of hops off of them while watching Back to the Future.  I think they run about $15/lb, so that's a pretty nice payback.

Stayed home all day and didn't spend any money.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1517 on: September 22, 2014, 01:36:04 PM »
Yesterday I cleaned out and reorganized my 14 year old horse trailer to make it more functional and all around nicer.  That ought to keep me from dreaming of a shiny new trailer for at least another year or two.

Also cut my hops plants down and picked about 8# of hops off of them while watching Back to the Future. I think they run about $15/lb, so that's a pretty nice payback.

How do you know when they are ripe?  I ask because I planted a hop plant back when the Hub was brewing beer but before we picked any he decided that it made him fat and cranky and stopped.  Now that it's making hops, I would like to offer them to another brewer on Freecycle but don't know when to pick them

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1518 on: September 22, 2014, 06:31:39 PM »
I am a brand new sewer - so yay me!

Seamstress! Or new at sewing! You are not full of sewage! You are a worthwhile human being! :) :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1519 on: September 22, 2014, 08:39:54 PM »

Also cut my hops plants down and picked about 8# of hops off of them while watching Back to the Future. I think they run about $15/lb, so that's a pretty nice payback.

How do you know when they are ripe?  I ask because I planted a hop plant back when the Hub was brewing beer but before we picked any he decided that it made him fat and cranky and stopped.  Now that it's making hops, I would like to offer them to another brewer on Freecycle but don't know when to pick them

The cones should feel kind of papery, and there should be yellow pollen starting to travel down the little "leaf" pieces of the cone.

http://www.realbeer.com/library/authors/moen-a/hgrown3.php

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #1520 on: September 23, 2014, 06:51:39 PM »
I also harvested a ton of hops today.  As they are already vine dried, I put them right into the freezer for use in making the next few batches of beer. And I picked a pile of cayenne peppers and hungarian paprika peppers, all drying slowly in the oven as I write.  AND, I got a good start on my next wood working project (making a bookcase), utilizing the fully-equipped wood shop at my local community college so I don't have to personally own all the crazy expensive heavy equipment.  What a fine use of a late September day!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1521 on: September 24, 2014, 02:11:53 AM »
2ndTimer,
Congrats on the meal planning ... I have yet to succeed at that! Shall try again.

Made broth from chicken bones, and turned it into a great soup for dinner with 1 cup of leftover chicken, lots of veggies and some leftover wild rice/quinoa mix.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1522 on: September 24, 2014, 03:25:36 AM »
- I decided not to have a morning shower yesterday and today. I have a hot bath or shower in the evening anyway so I thought I'm not really dirty.:D

- Homemade meals all day.

- I'm going to spend some time today dreaming looking at the houses online in the coastal area we want to retire to.:)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1523 on: September 24, 2014, 09:29:57 AM »
2ndTimer,
Congrats on the meal planning ... I have yet to succeed at that! Shall try again.

Made broth from chicken bones, and turned it into a great soup for dinner with 1 cup of leftover chicken, lots of veggies and some leftover wild rice/quinoa mix.

I found it was easiest if I plan by the meal instead of the day.  So first I do the Hub's lunches (just a question of what kind of sandwiches), then the Hub's breakfasts (he gets up early during the week), then dinners, then my breakfasts and lunches (which are usually leftovers from dinner.)

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1524 on: September 24, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »
Drove 55MPH instead of the usual 70MPH to work in order to stretch out fuel economy!
So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life. -Office Space

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1525 on: September 25, 2014, 11:40:57 AM »
Walked to MacDonalds for their promotional free coffee.  They are doing it for two weeks, presumably to get me in the habit of going there.  Little do they know, that as soon as the promotion is over I will be walking to the library instead.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1526 on: September 25, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
Opted against spending money, does that count?  My hubby gets a bonus every year, and he saves most of it.  But he really likes being able to buy gifts for himself, me, and the boys with some of it.

So the boys got their toys (almost anyway, the older child has to work to earn part of his).  He really wanted to get me a Jawbone UP 24 (like a fitbit). I'm really into health and fitness - like to record my exercise and eating habits.  Plus I sleep like crap and it has a sleep tracker.

After reading the reviews I opted against it.  They don't appear to last very long, so why buy a $120 electronic gadget that lasts less than a year and does things that I can do manually?  I can use google maps to figure out how far I just walked.

So anyway next week we are getting our roof replaced and getting gutters added to the house.  I said "my gift will be being able to leave the front porch without getting drenched in a rainstorm!"  If it ever rains.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1527 on: September 25, 2014, 03:18:51 PM »
Crockpot full of dried beans is now cooking. Will bag up for "instant" beans later from the freezer.

Decluttering - hope this saves me money in that my house will be less cluttered so I can find the things I have instead of having to go out and buy them again! grrr

SF Semi-Mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #1528 on: September 25, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »
Worked from home.  Saved me bus fare (even if I bike I have to bus up the hill home), and I ate a warm lunch of scrambled eggs over toast instead of eating lunch out.  Which I still do far too often, even though I'm getting better. 

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #1529 on: September 26, 2014, 04:34:59 AM »
Made enough of dinner (feta and roasted vegies pasta) to freeze two lunches for work.

Bought bones from our local butcher to make bone broth (thanks in part to the inspiration in this thread).

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1530 on: September 26, 2014, 05:53:30 AM »
- Leftover tomato and chili soup for dinner again. I'm loving this homemade soup at the moment, which is lucky as I make big batches at a time. :D

- Free exercise at home by just stretching on a mat and then using my mini trampoline.

Setters-r-Better

• Stubble
« Reply #1531 on: September 26, 2014, 06:11:16 AM »
I vacuumed my air filter to make it last longer lol
Good idea!  I never thought of that!

CheapskateWife

• Pencil Stache
  • Can I FIRE yet?
« Reply #1532 on: September 26, 2014, 06:57:07 AM »
4 yr old Garbage disposal seemed to die this morning.   Prior renters had lost the "unjamming" tool, cobbled together the right driver bit with a socket wrench to free it up and hit the reset button.  Good as new...can't say the same for the penny in the disposal that led to the jam in the first place.  DH thinks it is now official, I am a MMM badass.

richcatpoorcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1533 on: September 26, 2014, 09:38:42 AM »
Over the past 3 days experimented with weighing the coffee I use in the french press.  Discovered no taste benefit using 1.25 oz vs 1.00 ounces of beans for 32oz water.  If coffee is 10$/lb:

1 pot x 1oz x 62.5 cents / oz x 300 days = 187$/year on coffee.  (~65 days a year not making coffee for one reason or other)

That's versus

1 x 1.25 x 62.5 x 300 = $234

Saving approximately  $47/year.

This is exactly what I have been doing as well. Was wasting so much coffee/money
Audible Free 30 day trial. ( affiliate link)
http://www.audible.com/t1/30trial_at?source_code=COMGB900TWS022912

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1534 on: September 26, 2014, 09:38:57 AM »
Made cous cous.  It will sit in the fridge and be good weekend food.  The vegetable I have a lot of in the garden right now is Italian Parsley so I used about a cup of that.  The stems are almost thick enough to pass for very skinny celery.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1535 on: September 26, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »
Over the past 3 days experimented with weighing the coffee I use in the french press.  Discovered no taste benefit using 1.25 oz vs 1.00 ounces of beans for 32oz water.  If coffee is 10$/lb:

1 pot x 1oz x 62.5 cents / oz x 300 days = 187$/year on coffee.  (~65 days a year not making coffee for one reason or other)

That's versus

1 x 1.25 x 62.5 x 300 = $234

Saving approximately  $47/year.

This is exactly what I have been doing as well. Was wasting so much coffee/money

Wow, I never thought of this. 

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1536 on: September 26, 2014, 10:27:37 AM »
Free salmon heads for dinner last night.  We have some friends who run a restaurant and we help them out from time to time.  Every few months they give us a bunch of salmon heads from their sushi prep.  We bake the heads, eat the meat and then make fish soup from the bones and fat.  This is some of the best stuff on earth to eat!

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #1537 on: September 26, 2014, 10:32:48 AM »
Free salmon heads for dinner last night.  We have some friends who run a restaurant and we help them out from time to time.  Every few months they give us a bunch of salmon heads from their sushi prep.  We bake the heads, eat the meat and then make fish soup from the bones and fat.  This is some of the best stuff on earth to eat!

This is pretty hardcore!  I'd share this one in the Badassery forum! :-)

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1538 on: September 26, 2014, 10:38:39 AM »
LOL, I don't consider this hard core at all.  Just good eating.
This is pretty hardcore!  I'd share this one in the Badassery forum! :-)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1539 on: September 26, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »
Called my bank to get an account fee waived (only $10, but stupid). Because of changing jobs (same job, different institution), my monthly paydate got moved and my first paycheck had issues, so I didn't have a direct deposit in my last statement period, hence, fee. But I asked nicely and they waived it. Thanks MMM forums for teaching me to call and ask nicely for things. :)

frugalconfederate

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1540 on: September 26, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »
Made a large pan of homemade vegetable soup using leftover roast, potatoes, and carrots.  Added my jar of "freezer soup" veggies, and a jar of home canned salsa from the tomatoes we grew this summer.  It was delicious.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1541 on: September 26, 2014, 09:20:14 PM »
This is ongoing but I had a tube of lip balm that had "run out" meaning it was too much trouble to get any out when I was carrying it around in my pocket. But by keeping it standing up on my desk I've gotten one or two uses a day out of it for several months.
(This was after I'd had a paperclip splint taped along its side for 6 months because I was worried it was getting bent too often in my pocket and the tube would crack. This is good lip balm and I am committed to it.)

4 yr old Garbage disposal seemed to die this morning.   Prior renters had lost the "unjamming" tool, cobbled together the right driver bit with a socket wrench to free it up and hit the reset button.  Good as new...can't say the same for the penny in the disposal that led to the jam in the first place.  DH thinks it is now official, I am a MMM badass.

A moment of silence for CheapskateWife's lost penny...

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1542 on: September 26, 2014, 11:58:36 PM »
Took in some recycling (we are blessed to live in a bottle bill state) while waiting for my kid to finish an activity. Another lady didn't want to wait in the line for the machine so she gave me hers. I combined the redemption value "coupon" and a store coupon and came home with 2# of apples, five cans of beans and a .50 profit. Plus contributed to cleaning up our streets (I'm not to proud to take cans out of the gutter or a trash can--that's .05 and .10, people!)
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1543 on: September 27, 2014, 12:23:11 AM »
I cut open a big bottle of lotion and scraped out what was left - probably about half a cup - and stirred it into my unmustashian jar of Body Shop Grapefruit Body Butter.  Saved the bottom of the bottle because it will work perfectly as a pen holder in my horse trailer. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1544 on: September 27, 2014, 01:56:42 AM »
Made split pea soup for dinner from chicken stock I made and froze in the summer. The chicken was cooked a few months ago and appeared on top of Caesar salad. But it was far too hot to eat soup the next day so I did the bones into stock in the crockpot and froze it. So easy today to put together a delicious soup. I use the split pea soup recipe from the Moosewood cookbook.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1545 on: September 27, 2014, 09:24:02 AM »
I cut open a big bottle of lotion and scraped out what was left - probably about half a cup - and stirred it into my unmustashian jar of Body Shop Grapefruit Body Butter.  Saved the bottom of the bottle because it will work perfectly as a pen holder in my horse trailer.

Horsepoor:  I am doing something similar to extend my spendy Rose Argan Body Butter.  The smell is so intense that it flavors a whole lot of cheap stuff.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #1546 on: September 27, 2014, 11:34:08 AM »
Was able to have a no-spend day yesterday despite being fairly busy/active (people think 'no spend' equates to sitting at home).  Ate for free at work, went running at the local lake, and then went to a concert.  I've become friends with this particular musician and he asks for volunteers to work for him at the merch table so I got a free ticket in. 
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” -Ernest Hemingway

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1547 on: September 28, 2014, 08:51:25 AM »
- Made a batch of soup to have for lunches for the first half of the week.

- I received £125 from our bank as it was the incentive they used to switch to them. It's First Direct if anyone from UK is interested.

tracylayton

« Reply #1548 on: September 28, 2014, 09:10:47 AM »
1. Instead of going out to dinner for my daughter's birthday, I cooked a nice family dinner at home complete with wine and homemade pineapple upside down cake. She's a vegetarian, so I planned the meal around that. We all had a great time carrying on actual conversations (which would have been hard to do in a busy restaurant) and probably saved $50.

2. The temps have been dropping into the low 60's at night. I open up the doors and windows in the morning and trap all the cool air in the house, so I don't have to run the AC.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1549 on: September 28, 2014, 10:00:30 AM »
We all had a great time carrying on actual conversations (which would have been hard to do in a busy restaurant) and probably saved $50.

Funny that you say that. Yesterday was a rare night out in town for me with former colleagues.  One of them I hadn't seen in 10 years (she lives in Canada). A lot more money spent than would be "mustachian", but we had no problem whatsoever holding conversations for close to 7 hours straight.

Today is spend nothing day as I'm just about to leave for a fancy dinner payed by the company. I expect the bill to be close to 2,000 $ (for 21 persons), but who cares? :)