Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 4002220 times)

letsdoit

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #13100 on: May 13, 2019, 06:55:37 AM »
dropped comp and collision on old car.  (should have done long time ago!)  saving $280 per year

bought really good boar bristled broom to decrease vacuuming

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13101 on: May 13, 2019, 07:36:37 AM »
Sold the VAN and picked up a 2010 Prius!!

I have been really missing having a Prius in the family for the last year, when our 2006 was totaled.  Finally convinced the SO that the 19 year old kid never rides with us anywhere (and is planning to move out) and that 90% of the time it is just SO and 3 kids in the car.  Therefore another Prius will fit our needs perfectly fine 90% of the time and I don't want to pay for the van or the gas or the insurance on a van for the other 10% of the time. 

VAN = $12k
VAN Insurance = $100/month
VAN Fuel =$50/400 miles

PRIUS = $5k
PRIUS Insurance = $25/month
PRIUS Fuel = $25/400 miles

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #13102 on: May 13, 2019, 07:58:07 AM »
i see prius as expensive in used market.
how much was it ?
and mileage ?

how did you sell your van?

Arbitrage

• Bristles
« Reply #13103 on: May 13, 2019, 08:35:44 AM »
Saved money with a couple of short bike trips yesterday.  Needed a couple of gallons of milk, and we were already at Walmart grocery picking a few other items up.  The milk was over $1 per gallon more than Aldi, so I held off. 

I also needed some curry paste for a new Thai dish I'm trying out, and was having a very difficult time finding the recommended brand, even at an Asian grocery store I sometimes go to.  I was contemplating ordering it from Amazon, but I knew for items like this that would cost a premium (Was about $2.50/can).  Instead, I biked to a different SE Asian grocery I'd never been to, and got 4 cans for $1.10 each. 

Was it worth it to bike 7 miles to save $9 (Aldi and this grocery store were in opposite directions)?  In my mind, I got to take a 7 mile bike ride in gorgeous weather, and earned $15-16 doing so - as I'd have to earn about that much for $9 after tax at current marginal rates.  Sounds worth it to me.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13104 on: May 13, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »
I made cheese toasties for breakfast from a little bit of leftover cheese and stale bread that were leftover from Friday. I made a small salad for lunch and will have leftovers for dinner.

A friend of mine has given birth and I'll be visiting the baby soon. I finished a very quick baby quilt from stash today. All the fabric used was leftover from a previous baby quilt. The pattern is very simple but the result is nice!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13105 on: May 13, 2019, 07:14:47 PM »
I always check the discount rack at the grocery store when we go in. I've had some great finds there- my (very expensive) prenatal for 75% off (nearing expiration), and today toothpaste! 50% off. Only find things we need about 1/3 times at most, but the savings on supplements and household items make it well worth the effort. Just have to resist the siren call of shitty discount candy ;)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13106 on: May 14, 2019, 01:13:23 PM »
I always check the discount rack at the grocery store when we go in. I've had some great finds there- my (very expensive) prenatal for 75% off (nearing expiration), and today toothpaste! 50% off. Only find things we need about 1/3 times at most, but the savings on supplements and household items make it well worth the effort. Just have to resist the siren call of shitty discount candy ;)

+1 to all of this, although I'm genetically non-predisposed to shitty candy. What's also cool about that rack, at least at my local supermarket, is seeing what *kind* of stuff is always marked down (because clearly enough people are smart enough to not buy it). Usually really gimmicky stuff in the toy/beauty/"health" areas.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13107 on: May 16, 2019, 04:36:54 AM »

Recently I saw a deodorant for a 1/3 of the normal price. They change the looks of it a while ago and I didn't buy them ever since, because the price was too high. Now I saw a pile of them. I bought 4, because I was not completely sure it was the brand that I favor. But in retrospect, I should have bought the lot (20 or so). 4 will be used up in same months. Last time it was on sale was 2 years ago.

But I also felt for the temptation to buy chocolate oatmeal cookies for low price. We tend to bring those along on hiking trips.

Sugaree

• Bristles
« Reply #13108 on: May 16, 2019, 05:02:01 AM »
Bought another Firestick (on sale!) to use with the old TV rather than buying a new smart TV.

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13109 on: May 16, 2019, 07:11:22 AM »
- Yesterday there was leftover food from a work event so I had that for lunch instead of what I brought. Means I get to have what I packed yesterday for lunch today.
- Packed food when I had a 2 hour drive this weekend so I didn't stop for snacks. Only ate out one time over the course of a weekend away, the rest of the time we cooked at the house.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13110 on: May 16, 2019, 08:17:44 AM »
1. Harvested fresh grape and a couple of Roma tomatoes from the garden, will saute this morning with herbs from the garden and my super pungent garlic chives. Freezing immediately.
2. Next, harvesting, cutting up and freezing fresh peppers in a baggie.

3. In between, I'll hang a load of laundry in the back yard.

The jasmine tree and gardenia bush smell heavenly - I wonder if I could make jasmine/gardenia water from the fragrant blooms?

4. Leftovers for lunch.

5. Researching a suitable new credit card (to use for home improvements) - I want a mix of zero percent APR and a bonus, but I think mathematically speaking an 18 mo zero interest card with no bonus might be the better deal.:) Don't you just hate being mathematically challenged?
Then there is the 15 mo - no interest card with a $150 bonus, maybe I should do both?

6. Using my Mother's Day gift card to the garden center today and I will not spend a penny more.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13111 on: May 16, 2019, 12:18:51 PM »
Leftover apples at work = home made apple cake for national holiday tomorrow.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13112 on: May 16, 2019, 12:37:31 PM »

Yum:) - I love apple cake. How do you make yours @Linea_Norway ?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13113 on: May 16, 2019, 01:17:00 PM »
-Leftovers for dinner all week (we cook on weekends, and reheat during the week due to schedules).
-I've continued to find interesting looking books on the freebie table at work
-Had my husband drop me off at work, and will Uber home (expensed) from a work event.
-I have friends in town starting tomorrow. We'd discussed going out for a drink after I pick them up from the airport. Instead, we'll head to my house & open up a nice bottle of wine. We'd planned to be around the pool, but the weather sucks. A little less optimal than I'd planned, but we'll make it work.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13114 on: May 17, 2019, 03:24:47 AM »

@Rosy

For the bottom layer, I used an old recipe for cake: 250 grams white flower, 250 grams white sugar, 250 grams of butter or margerine, 5 eggs and a dash of baking powder. Just mix together and put in a roasting tray. I also added some totally optional sweet edible plant to the batter and some grated lime skin.
The apples were chopped with skin still on, and blended with brown, thick sugar, some cinnamon, some carnation, some nutmeg and vanillasugar. In the oven quite warm for more than an hour. But I had to put the temperature lower after 45 minutes, because the apples were brown enough. It tastes good.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13115 on: May 17, 2019, 08:52:06 AM »

@Rosy

For the bottom layer, I used an old recipe for cake: 250 grams white flower, 250 grams white sugar, 250 grams of butter or margerine, 5 eggs and a dash of baking powder. Just mix together and put in a roasting tray. I also added some totally optional sweet edible plant to the batter and some grated lime skin.
The apples were chopped with skin still on, and blended with brown, thick sugar, some cinnamon, some carnation, some nutmeg and vanillasugar. In the oven quite warm for more than an hour. But I had to put the temperature lower after 45 minutes, because the apples were brown enough. It tastes good.

@Linea_Norway - Wow, that is indeed an intriguing recipe - I cannot wait to try this one.
Questions:
1. Carnation as in condensed milk?
2. I might try a bit of finely chopped lemon verbena leaves from my garden in the batter then - it has a sweet, lemon flavor - do you think that would work?
3. How many apples approximately? and how small do you chop them? Slices or cubes?

Thank you so much:)

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #13116 on: May 17, 2019, 12:46:26 PM »
bought groceries for making mexican food to avoid taking everyone out to eat

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13117 on: May 17, 2019, 03:57:47 PM »
So...this is a minor thing but...

I have these jeans.  They are my favorite pair.  They have gotten pretty worn in the inner thigh because: duh.  I stopped wearing them a year ago because of the fraying and tearing and hung them up.  I spent time over the year on Pinterest and Google, looking at invisible, or decorative, ways to patch.

My friends say "um, find a new favorite pair?"  But here's the thing - jeans are hard yo.  I'm female.  My weight fluctuates by 5 lbs easily depending on the day or time of year or how much running and/or weightlifting that I'm doing.  I have a couple of pairs that are too big.  I have a pair that fits well but is straight leg.  So meh.  I have two newer pairs that I like *ok* but they are tighter on the lower leg, which isn't an awesome look for me, but they mostly fit.  I'm no fashion plate, obv.

After months of nothing, I saw them in the closet today.  Put them on. Yep, still obviously frayed.  Took them off, went to the sewing machine with some dark blue thread, and just zig zagged over the frayed area, in essence sewing that section onto the seam below it.  Voila, fixed!

Next up, I have been eyeing "travel pants" for our summer vacation.  But I have a pair of pants that are of similar style (cargo-ish, light weight, quick dry).  But they are too big.  I may see what I can do this weekend to trim them up a bit.  If not, baggy pants are just fine.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13118 on: May 18, 2019, 12:06:21 AM »

@Rosy

@Linea_Norway - Wow, that is indeed an intriguing recipe - I cannot wait to try this one.
Questions:
2. I might try a bit of finely chopped lemon verbena leaves from my garden in the batter then - it has a sweet, lemon flavor - do you think that would work?
3. How many apples approximately? and how small do you chop them? Slices or cubes?

@Rosy

Carnation was a translation mistake, because I used a tool that gave a wrong suggestion. I meant clove, in powder form.
Yes, lemon grind would also work.
I had 8 apples. I shop each quarter in 2 or 3 slices and each slice in 4 chuncks.

GermanStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Working my way to ER
    • My Journal
« Reply #13119 on: May 18, 2019, 06:48:50 AM »
I ordered some jeans and a jacket (both a need not a want) from an 2nd hand ebay seller. I am a plus size and it is hard to find items second hand. The items arrived and are good value for what I paid. BUT the jeans donīt fit and the jacket is only 80% right.... I contemplated for two days keeping them and calling the jacket ok and to "work into the jeans" . But here is the problem.... I have a loadful of clothes to "work into" and it never happened.
So just now I decided to return everything (it is free of charge just as the shipping was). I feel bad to have them have costs and no business but I just do not need more clothes that I am not totally happy with.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13120 on: May 18, 2019, 07:31:36 AM »
I picked another couple of meal portions of edible plants that I can use as vegetables. Free food.

FIREstache

• Stubble
« Reply #13121 on: May 18, 2019, 07:37:47 AM »

I brought home a couple containers packed with cooked pork that was left-over from a meeting at work.  It was free - the caterer was going to throw it out.  It's what's for dinner, several dinners.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13122 on: May 18, 2019, 08:24:35 AM »
I ordered some jeans and a jacket (both a need not a want) from an 2nd hand ebay seller. I am a plus size and it is hard to find items second hand. The items arrived and are good value for what I paid. BUT the jeans donīt fit and the jacket is only 80% right.... I contemplated for two days keeping them and calling the jacket ok and to "work into the jeans" . But here is the problem.... I have a loadful of clothes to "work into" and it never happened.
So just now I decided to return everything (it is free of charge just as the shipping was). I feel bad to have them have costs and no business but I just do not need more clothes that I am not totally happy with.

I buy used clothes from Ebay too and get really good brands at good prices. I have had purchased things that don't fit too. I didn't sent them back but donated them to charity. The bad thing is you can buy a size like a size 18 in 5 different brands and none would fit the same. One too small, one too big, one sloppy fitting and so on. There are no standards in sizes and that includes shoes too. It is hit and miss every purchase. Some brands run true so it is good to stick to that brand.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13123 on: May 18, 2019, 09:21:50 AM »

@Rosy

Questions:

@Rosy

Carnation was a translation mistake, because I used a tool that gave a wrong suggestion. I meant clove, in powder form.
Yes, lemon grind would also work.
I had 8 apples. I shop each quarter in 2 or 3 slices and each slice in 4 chuncks.

@Linea_Norway
Oh this is indeed an old recipe, I can tell:).

If you like - I have an over hundred-year-old recipe for a cheesecake which makes its own crust while baking.

shawn77777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13124 on: May 19, 2019, 11:42:54 AM »
This week has been crazy weird I kinda retired but will be doing some uber and whatnot.  Over the last 25 yrs I've had somewhat of a drinking problem and bar hangout problem so I quit both not sure if permanent but I think so.  It probably unfortunately what I spend the most money on outside of actual bills.  Been eating at home most of the week.  Found out today about the elec company peak hours this summer and will adjust the a/c during these times.  Stayed home quite a bit this week as well so I won't be tempted to happy hr or whatnot.

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13125 on: May 20, 2019, 08:12:16 PM »

I always check the clearance aisle or the endcaps when I'm shopping. It's such a thrill when I find something I actually need that's deeply discounted. Especially when I have a corresponding coupon! The trick is not to pick up anything else just because it's on sale...

Today I saved money by having a friend drive me to work, then take my car back to the building garage to protect it from the big storm moving through. I was going to Uber, but then realized that would cost over $20. But I definitely didn't want any storm damage on my car.
Took lunch to work and got gas at the cheapest local station.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13126 on: May 21, 2019, 12:59:55 AM »
Finally since many weeks I have walked to work again and will walk back later today. Showered and washed my hair at work. Use work's shampoo and towel. Eat banana provided by employer.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13127 on: May 21, 2019, 07:36:50 AM »
It was a rocky few days, but here are the wins:
-Drove our electric car to & from Santa Cruz for a race, saving on gas
-Called about a $25 charge on our credit card that shouldn't be there
-We had some frugal fails this weekend, so we have leftover takeout in the fridge. Ate that for dinner vs making something different.

BECABECA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #13128 on: May 21, 2019, 11:17:06 AM »
Bought a used sewing machine over the weekend for $30. Plan to learn to do easy alterations on my existing clothes that donít quite fit right. DW has already identified a few items of hers that are to be added to my To Alter list, although has informed me that they should only be attempted after Iíve mastered the given alteration on my own article of clothing ;)

I learned that overdying faded jeans is an easy DIY from reading through this thread today, so Iíve ordered some dye and will have at least 2 ďnewĒ jeans for the price of a few dollars of dye!

A few months ago I noticed some evidence of drywood termites in 3 places around the house. I researched DIY ways to get rid of them and since the areas were very small, identified that localized heating would be the best first option to try. Used a hairdryer to heat the areas above 120* F for at least 25 minutes and I checked yesterday and there is still no new termite frass after 3 months so it worked! Exterminators in our area always push tenting the whole house, which is over a thousand dollars and you have to move your whole family and all your food out of the house for 3 days. And the fumigant that they use is a bad greenhouse gas that stays in the atmosphere for 36 years. So I saved money and avoided a huge increase to my carbon footprint!

shawn77777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13129 on: May 21, 2019, 12:50:56 PM »
Canceled HBO after my favorite show GOT ended on my hulu acct.  Also getting ready 2 negotiate with my alarm company to lower prices.

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #13130 on: May 21, 2019, 02:45:21 PM »
Our homeowners insurance is going up almost 50% this year for no apparent reason (haven't had any claims), so I requested some quotes from other companies.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13131 on: May 22, 2019, 12:58:55 AM »
Our homeowners insurance is going up almost 50% this year for no apparent reason (haven't had any claims), so I requested some quotes from other companies.

It is well known that insurance companies have low prices only for their new customers. They screw up prices for their faithful customers. You should revise your insurances very regularly. I have noticed that 3 years is already too long to wait.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13132 on: May 22, 2019, 09:30:07 AM »

It is well known that insurance companies have low prices only for their new customers. They screw up prices for their faithful customers. You should revise your insurances very regularly. I have noticed that 3 years is already too long to wait.

My car insurance hasn't done that to me, but homeowners did -- went from ~$700 to $900+ in one year with no claims or apparent reason.

zygote

• Stubble
« Reply #13133 on: May 22, 2019, 09:39:25 AM »
The shower drain has been really slow. It happens a few times a year despite preventative measures (mesh over the drain, clearing it daily, taking the drain off and scraping out as much as I can reach when it starts to get slow, etc.) - two women with long hair will do that. I don't like to use Drano regularly because it's bad for the pipes. We used to call our super whenever this happened and he'd come snake the drain. But our building got sold last summer and our new super sucks. We called him to see if he'd come snake the drain, and he stopped by hours after he said he would with a different chemical. Insta-Flo? Whatever, if the chemical causes an issue it was his choice so therefore Not My Problem.

We almost didn't bother calling the super, but it ended up saving the money I would have spent at the hardware store on our own snake or Drano. And my shower this morning was much more pleasant.

BECABECA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13134 on: May 22, 2019, 09:40:14 AM »

My car insurance hasn't done that to me, but homeowners did -- went from ~$700 to $900+ in one year with no claims or apparent reason.

That seems to be the policy for certain homeowners insurance companies but not others. I had my rates raised for no reason every year when I had Farmerís but never in 8 years with State Farm or in the 2 years so far with USAA. So if youíre with one that raised, switch!

BECABECA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13135 on: May 22, 2019, 09:56:56 AM »
Yesterday I figured out how to thread the sewing machine and mended a sheet set that had been fraying at some carelessly made hems. Since it was poorly sewn to begin with, I wasnít too worried about my ugly stitches as I learned how to properly set the tension. My stitches went from god-awful-ugly (but stopping the fraying) to not-quite-straight but otherwise normal looking. Sheet set was only $20 to begin with, so I still have another $10 of alterations or repairs to be net zero on the $30 cost of the used sewing machine. Hopefully Iíll hit that today!

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13136 on: May 22, 2019, 09:00:00 PM »
I'm shopping to stage a house we've spent the last year fixing up. My budget for the entire project is as far below $2k as I can manage. This means a lot of ND, CL, thrifting, plus some sewing. Goodwill is not usually on my radar, even though there's one very close to me, because their stuff is picked-over crap and their prices are high. Today, I went to a GW in a less affluent area. I found some nice throw pillows, but there were no prices on them and nothing on any sign mentioned pillows. I asked and was thrilled to be told they were $2.99. When I got to the cashier, i discovered it was Senior Day, so they were an extra 15% off. Yippee! Later, I found 2 more in brand-new condition for $5 each at another thrift store.

I've been following four pillows on Next Door that were $15 apiece. I offered a BOGO ($30 total), the dude said no and didn't bother to counter. Said he'd keep them for that price. Ten days later, they're still on ND and CL. I was going to have DH try to finagle them for me, but now I'm covered, and I only spent about what pillow dude wanted for a single pillow. Score!

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13137 on: May 23, 2019, 05:52:44 AM »
Our garden is producing loads of yummy organic greens for us -- about $20 worth per week. 

Sugaree

• Bristles
« Reply #13138 on: May 23, 2019, 05:53:57 AM »
The kiddo's birthday party is coming up in a couple of weeks.  We'd already decided on serving hot dogs.  Guess what went on sale this week for Memorial Day?  Don't worry.  I checked the use-by date and it's well past the date of the party.  Surprisingly, ketchup isn't *that* great of a deal this week, at least not for the amount I need to make the super yummy sauce (that will probably be eaten mostly by the adults instead of the kids). 

MrGrossGoatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13139 on: May 23, 2019, 02:58:44 PM »
I am no longer going out for lunch at work, period!  I have a nice stash of oatmeal, trailmix, and bananas at work that serve as my first two meals of the day. I also ride the train to work, because my company pays for my transit pass. Yay money!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #13140 on: May 23, 2019, 04:56:31 PM »
The shower drain has been really slow. It happens a few times a year despite preventative measures (mesh over the drain, clearing it daily, taking the drain off and scraping out as much as I can reach when it starts to get slow, etc.) - two women with long hair will do that. I don't like to use Drano regularly because it's bad for the pipes. We used to call our super whenever this happened and he'd come snake the drain. But our building got sold last summer and our new super sucks. We called him to see if he'd come snake the drain, and he stopped by hours after he said he would with a different chemical. Insta-Flo? Whatever, if the chemical causes an issue it was his choice so therefore Not My Problem.

We almost didn't bother calling the super, but it ended up saving the money I would have spent at the hardware store on our own snake or Drano. And my shower this morning was much more pleasant.

Chemical drain cleaners are generally ineffective on hair clogs.  They are intended to work on grease clogs.  The best way to deal with hair is with a snake or similar mechanical means.

MoolahLula

• Stubble
« Reply #13141 on: May 23, 2019, 05:10:25 PM »
I saved $200 out of pocket today when my pharmacy could not fill a prescription in its entirety for me.  Itís an anti-parasitic antibiotic and not in heavy demand in the suburbs I gather. 

Why has Prolific stopped offering me surveys?  Is anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?  Iíve updated 100% of my info with them. 

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Typical Ghoul Next Door
« Reply #13142 on: May 23, 2019, 05:38:55 PM »
Hauled out the sewing machine and repaired two pairs of pants that had holes along the seams and fixed the legs of another pair that were tapered so tight they fit like rubber bands awkwardly at mid calf on me, so cut about 3 inches off, rehemmed them shorter so they're not boa constrictor pants any more and I'll actually like wearing them.

Turned off the A/C as soon as we got up, reassessed our clothes line and fixed that, and hung two loads outside to dry. Figured out how to hang another line and will be put that up this weekend so we can go dryer free again this summer. Had been using line drying up until last year when we lost the ability to anchor the line tightly as our fence decided to start leaning so now we're using the really, really oldschool way of propping up the lines with very long poles the way they did it in Victorian times. Easy, works well, and can just tuck the line/poles away when not in use so actually even better than the tension line for us right now.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13143 on: May 23, 2019, 08:58:47 PM »
I saved $200 out of pocket today when my pharmacy could not fill a prescription in its entirety for me.  Itís an anti-parasitic antibiotic and not in heavy demand in the suburbs I gather. 

Why has Prolific stopped offering me surveys?  Is anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?  Iíve updated 100% of my info with them.

Had a lull in surveys for a few weeks, but it's picked back up in the last couple of weeks. But the ends of academic semesters can be slow, and that may be what you're seeing.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13144 on: May 23, 2019, 09:13:07 PM »

I never get a ton of them but I've been doing fine this week. Just logged in and there are two new ones since this morning when I checked.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13145 on: Today at 05:20:21 AM »

I never get a ton of them but I've been doing fine this week. Just logged in and there are two new ones since this morning when I checked.

I never get that many anyway, but felt like the number had actually gone up in the last couple weeks (academic year ending end of June/early July here - I mostly get Dutch surveys through them).