Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1722685 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1300 on: August 23, 2014, 03:26:28 PM »
Somewhat badass, but not productively so: Walked 7 km to look at a used bike. Bike was meh... I offered a lower price, which was turned down, so I passed on it.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1301 on: August 23, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
Somewhat badass, but not productively so: Walked 7 km to look at a used bike. Bike was meh... I offered a lower price, which was turned down, so I passed on it.
You didn't let the "hassle" you'd been through alter your better judgement. That seems productive to me, and certainly badass.
Yay, out of debt... period :)
My '16/'17 journal

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #1302 on: August 23, 2014, 04:55:12 PM »
I got a raise that will increase my bi-weekly paycheck by X$, and modified my automatic transfer to my savings by X$ this morning. Best way I found to stay clear of lifestyle inflation.

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1303 on: August 23, 2014, 05:44:11 PM »
Helped DH bleed and adjust the brakes on our 16-year-old Saab.
Picked about 15 lbs. of tomatoes from our garden.
Dug up the potatoes I planted a few months ago. Over 9 lbs. My potato patches are not super productive, but the taters really taste good.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1304 on: August 23, 2014, 07:26:11 PM »
Cleared out some garden space and planted spinach, radishes, daikon, turnips, Napa cabbage, rapini, bok choi, mesclun greens, chicory, radicchio and one sad little cauliflower seedling.  Rescued a huge cabbage that split due to DH's overwatering intensive lawn care program, and will turn it into sauerkraut tonight.

Yesterday:  signed a sale contract on our old house.  Hopefully this will go through and we can say goodbye to the awful 6.375% interest we've been stuck with since the market nosedived and our equity evaporated.

Upped next month's car payment to $1,000.  The loan has a low interest rate, but I'm hell bent on paying it off right now, and this will save a little interest vs. paying the minimum.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1305 on: August 23, 2014, 07:29:05 PM »
You didn't let the "hassle" you'd been through alter your better judgement. That seems productive to me, and certainly badass.

Hell he walked from Canada to the Netherlands, that's super bad ass.

frugalconfederate

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1306 on: August 23, 2014, 07:37:05 PM »
Stuck my friend's phone number in my wallet.  Now when I shop at Fred Meyer, she can get the points on her grocery card.  I don't shop there much but since it is the only grocery store within walking distance I do pick up an onion or something once in a while. She might as well have the points to reduce the cost of gas when they fill their RV.

We do the same thing for a friend of ours except at Kroger. We always get our gas at Sams, so whenever we shop at Kroger we use her card to give her the points toward gas.

flashpacker

• Stubble
« Reply #1307 on: August 23, 2014, 07:58:24 PM »
I requested some coupons for a product I buy all the time, and they sent me 2 x free (value $10) and 2 x $1 off, so $12 in value.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1308 on: August 23, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
Stuck my friend's phone number in my wallet.  Now when I shop at Fred Meyer, she can get the points on her grocery card.  I don't shop there much but since it is the only grocery store within walking distance I do pick up an onion or something once in a while. She might as well have the points to reduce the cost of gas when they fill their RV.

We do the same thing for a friend of ours except at Kroger. We always get our gas at Sams, so whenever we shop at Kroger we use her card to give her the points toward gas.

Definitely a win-win situation.  It benefits them and costs us nothing.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #1309 on: August 24, 2014, 06:56:17 AM »
I remembered that I put the leftover pastry from making apple tart last Thursday into the fridge and even remembered it before I'd finished roasting the tomatoes. So by the time they were ready to come out of the oven, I had a small quiche all ready and waiting to go in. That takes care of dinner this evening and lunch (or possibly breakfast) for a couple of days next week.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1310 on: August 24, 2014, 07:18:53 AM »
I drove DH to the airport early this morning, rather than use airport parking. We brought our own Thermos of coffee instead of following the siren call of Starbucks. He packed super light to avoid baggage charges.

DSA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1311 on: August 24, 2014, 07:41:48 AM »
I bought a watermelon on sale. Now I have watermelon rind chutney in my crockpot. Trying for the first time, hope it is tasty!

I will be very interested in how this comes out. Please post.

UPDATE: The Watermelon Chutney turned out great! I added a little more serrano pepper, some chopped up crystallized ginger and some whole mustard seeds.

I had lots of extra watermelon so I also made the watermelon curry that was linked in the post. It was OK to start with - My watermelon rind was weird though, the outside parts of it really got soft so it was a very weird texture. I solved that by buzzing it up in my food processor so it made a sauce - and was actually really yummy! Served with some rice and poppadums and chutney it was a super cheap, tasty meal that has fed us for a few days.

Recipe is here: http://myheartbeets.com/watermelon-rind-chutney/

I also made some of David Chang's pickled watermelon rind - but I wasn't too fussy about it, again because of the hardness of the rind. I don't know if it was just my watermelon or what. It definitely had a much thinner rind then most watermelons I have had. I do think that watermelon rind would be a great addition to a batch of chow or mustard pickles.

That's really cool! I've always thought there should be something practical to do with the watermelon rind. I'll have to try this one out next week, while watermelons are still on sale.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1312 on: August 24, 2014, 09:51:15 AM »
Received an email GNC coupon that covered something I wanted.  Went to GNC to use the coupon, and their computer wouldn't take the coupon.  The clerk looked around and found another discount to apply that was better than the coupon.  WIN #1!

Sent an email to GNC stating that the coupon didn't work and to stop sending me bad coupons.  Their response was that they had an incorrect coupon number on the coupon and would be sending me a $25 voucher via regular mail.  WIN #2!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:53:58 AM by Joggernot »

Tick-Tock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1313 on: August 24, 2014, 10:33:11 AM »
Rode my bike to the grocery store (approximately 4 miles round trip).  Got exercise on a nice walking/biking path, with the side benefit of seeing a heron in the stream and a man walking two donkeys (have never seen that before, in more than ten years of living near the path).  And because I was on the bike, I couldn't buy too much at the store either.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1314 on: August 24, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »
Major envy here.  Please write about it (and post pictures) when you get back.  Closest I have been to the Burgess Shale is an exhibit at the ROM several years ago.

Just got back from the gym of outdoors.  The Hub and I are using a hilly road in the State Forest to train for our hike into the Canadian Rockies to see the Burgess Shale.  The only way to see this legendary fossil site is to take a Canadian Park Service guided hiking trip which, according to people who have done it, goes better if you have prepared your hill climbing muscles.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1315 on: August 24, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »
Rode my bike to the grocery store (approximately 4 miles round trip).  Got exercise on a nice walking/biking path, with the side benefit of seeing a heron in the stream and a man walking two donkeys (have never seen that before, in more than ten years of living near the path).  And because I was on the bike, I couldn't buy too much at the store either.

That's probably my favorite thing about cycling - seeing sights, smelling the scents, feeling the wind in ways that I do not when I'm in the car.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1316 on: August 24, 2014, 02:43:39 PM »
Major envy here.  Please write about it (and post pictures) when you get back.  Closest I have been to the Burgess Shale is an exhibit at the ROM several years ago.

Just got back from the gym of outdoors.  The Hub and I are using a hilly road in the State Forest to train for our hike into the Canadian Rockies to see the Burgess Shale.  The only way to see this legendary fossil site is to take a Canadian Park Service guided hiking trip which, according to people who have done it, goes better if you have prepared your hill climbing muscles.

Won't be any pictures but I will definitely post about it as it is a very mustachian vacation.

Company coming this afternoon.  They are getting coffee and kettlecorn.  That should work out well as they expressed great interest last time we met when I said I had learned to make kettlecorn at home

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1317 on: August 24, 2014, 06:51:01 PM »
Shared a few tomatoes with an elderly neighbor.  She was so excited she o sister we pick the Concord grapes from her vines, saying she is too old to put them to use.  Picked thirty pounds of grapes which made 54 containers of grape jelly.  Probably at least that many more to pick later this week to make jelly with next weekend.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1318 on: August 24, 2014, 07:51:57 PM »
Hung 2 loads of laundry on the line.  Used $200 worth of grocery store points toward a huge $400 stock up order! Made my own guacamole. No a/c but was sorely tempted.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1319 on: August 24, 2014, 09:01:14 PM »
Made a couple repairs to our old house, which just went into escrow, to hopefully divert some post-inspection repair requests.

Froze okra and green beans, canned and dried tomatoes and started the process of preserving eggplant in olive oil.  Packed my lunch for work tomorrow. 

Used store points plus 3% cash back CC to gas up my pig truck for over 50 cents off per gallon.

Opened windows and set up the fans to blow in the cool air.  Hoping not to turn the AC back on until next year.

Plugged away at the weed control part of my DIY front yard xeriscaping project.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #1320 on: August 24, 2014, 10:53:34 PM »
1. Disposable gillete razor was getting dull since i havent sharpened it in a while, so I took out a piece of denim cut from an old pair of jeans and sharpened the razor on it like I do once every 3 weeks or so. then cleaned it off w/ alcohol, used it, cleaned it off and put it back into the plastic cup of vegetable oil I keep it in to prevent rust.

2. Needed a harcut so I proceeded to cut my own hair w/ scissors and a clipper on the sides and back.

3. Washed my hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Why wash out all of the color and dry out my hair w/ expensive shampoo.

4. Took a home made preworkout before the gym that I assemble in bulk from bulksupplements at amazon and some gatorade powder.

5. Hang dried jeans, they last 10x as long that way.

6. Had to buy gas, used discover which is 5% cashback on gas atm
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:55:20 PM by stlbrah »

Dicey

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1321 on: August 25, 2014, 12:35:54 AM »
Lol! We walked to the bank to deposit a check for stuff we had sold on consignment, then picked up 2 take & bake pizzas. We walked home, baked them and called it good. What?? $22.00 for four adults? Are you kidding me? Yeah, this is what qualifies as dinner out for my family. Since most meals are cooked from scratch and eaten at home, this was a big treat. Oh yeah, it was the walking part that saved money. That and the fact that we deposited way more in the bank than we spent. Love this thread...
I did it! I have a journal!
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/a-lot-like-this/
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1322 on: August 25, 2014, 09:26:37 AM »
Drinking microwaved leftover coffee as I write this but the real savings happened when I firmly deleted the 30% off sale announcement from The Fragrance Shop.  They make great dupes of designer perfumes for much less than department store prices but I have plenty already.

norabird

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1323 on: August 25, 2014, 09:35:51 AM »
Yesterday I baked and made home-brewed iced coffee--today, a homemade muffin for breakfast and iced coffee brought from home for breakfast! Way better than the k-cup coffee at work and I had run out of granola at the office. Hopefully no going back to my $2.25 coffee and donut routine. I still have ingredients left for muffins so going to make another batch next week, right now I have a dozen muffins frozen in the freezer and more in the fridge though :) I do need a to-go coffee mug to put it in eventually but am using a mug with a tupperware lid for now and it's doing the trick, plus it fits two servings.

Also making dinner tonight with ingredients on hand, and eating pasta for lunch that I specifically made yesterday to bring in to work this week...hopefully it's tasty.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #1324 on: August 25, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
Remembered when packing my lunch today to also pack a snack. Didn't have a lot of time so just threw a large handful of almonds into a smal Tupperware container. Not used to eating quite so many nuts (really wished I'd added some raisins) but I spread them out over the day and haven't been near the vending machine or the little bistro corner downstairs all day. Fresh apples are starting to make an appearance at the market again and I'm delighted - apples are just about my favourite fruit. Get very excited about strawberries and raspberries and plums when they're in season but apples are the only ones that I really miss for the few months of the year they're just not around and I never did get around to drying many last year. Will definitely make up for that this year.

P.S. Speaking of apples: A former colleague of mine once told me with a completely straight face that he can't eat apples because his wife is a doctor. It took several seconds for the penny to drop but still makes me laugh today when I think of it.

Dicey

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1325 on: August 25, 2014, 12:24:51 PM »
Loved the apple joke, moonwaves! I'll drop it on my cousin's husband (she's a doctor) next time I talk to him.
I did it! I have a journal!
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/a-lot-like-this/
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1326 on: August 25, 2014, 01:48:15 PM »
I drove past the gauntlet of restaurants yet again to eat lunch at home.

Lol! We walked to the bank to deposit a check for stuff we had sold on consignment, then picked up 2 take & bake pizzas. We walked home, baked them and called it good. What?? $22.00 for four adults? Are you kidding me? Yeah, this is what qualifies as dinner out for my family. Since most meals are cooked from scratch and eaten at home, this was a big treat. Oh yeah, it was the walking part that saved money. That and the fact that we deposited way more in the bank than we spent. Love this thread...

That is one of the biggest perks of a frugal lifestyle - enjoying the luxury of everyday things. I recently attended a vow renewal which meant hotel and travel expenses. I love my relatives; this was more like a family reunion; the trip was worth it to me.

I hadn't spent that much in one weekend in ages. It felt a extravagant, but I enjoyed most of the experience. The hotel felt more luxurious than I remember. The room service was awesome.(Yes, I let them serve me rather than go out for groceries.) When the meal was an hour late, I didn't care; I was just so happy. They apologized profusely and gave me extra cheesecake.

To top it all off, there was on the TV a marathon of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe, a Discovery Channel show that I hadn't seen in a while.  Plus, I make a study of hotels to discover how they create such an inviting environment. I want to walk into my house every day and feel as excited as walking into a well-appointed hotel.

It was a perfect weekend.

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1327 on: August 25, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »
Rode the chauffeur driven Mercedes-Benz (Travego) to and from work in air conditioned comfort.  Door to door service.  Too far, too hot and too dangerous around here to bike.

Very nice...

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #1328 on: August 26, 2014, 09:37:35 AM »
I'm doing a pantry/fridge/freezer eat up this week to avoid going to the grocery store until Friday. Breakfast was a protein shake. Lunch will be baked salmon, the last of the lettuce with olive oil & red wine vinegar for dressing, and 2 little baked potatoes with butter. Dinner (chicken and dumpling soup) is already in the crock pot so that it's ready for after work and the gym. :)

4. Took a home made preworkout before the gym that I assemble in bulk from bulksupplements at amazon and some gatorade powder.

Would you mind sharing the recipe? I never buy pre-workout mixes because they're so expensive.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #1329 on: August 26, 2014, 09:50:06 AM »
I cooked a huge pot of lentil soup (vegan for Meatless Monday) and brought a bowl to work for lunch today.  Bonus - I resisted the urge to toss in some smokey, delicious bacon.  Mmmmmmm, bacon.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1330 on: August 26, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »
Gave a neighbor one of the free heads of lettuce that I scored yesterday.  We routinely share anything we can't use up.  Later I will walk to the grocery store to buy some cilantro to make salsa out of all the tomatoes people have given us lately.  Salsa freezes beautifully and tastes wonderful in Feb when I haven't seen a real tomato in months.

mary w

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1331 on: August 26, 2014, 12:11:57 PM »
Sunday visited the Farmer's market right before closing and bought 15 lbs of organic, heirloom tomatoes for $12.  Came home and canned most for the winter. (Tomato, cheese pie with the rest.)

Bought 5 lbs of ripe bell peppers (mixed colors) for $0.49 a lb.  Roasted and canned them. 

mrdebtbeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1332 on: August 26, 2014, 12:17:27 PM »
Walked to home depot instead of driving and shopped the scratch and dent for new light bulbs. A buck for 4 CFLs instead of 4 dollars. Oh and got free boxes for moving from walmart last night at midnight during their restocking.

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1333 on: August 26, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »
Sunday visited the Farmer's market right before closing and bought 15 lbs of organic, heirloom tomatoes for $12.  Came home and canned most for the winter. (Tomato, cheese pie with the rest.)

Bought 5 lbs of ripe bell peppers (mixed colors) for $0.49 a lb.  Roasted and canned them.

I totally love in season tomatoes.  Grew a lot last year, dried them slowly in the oven with a sprinkling of salt and sugar and vac-packed them before freezing.  The best!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1334 on: August 26, 2014, 12:30:10 PM »
Did the haircut thing for both DW and me using our craigslist Flowbee.  That way I get a little tapering to look better when the DW wants to show me off.  :)

Worked on wood carving items to give as gifts for Christmas.  Two done and six to go.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1335 on: August 26, 2014, 06:21:28 PM »
Back to school shopping for my two school-aged kids. We just moved to a colder climate, so we needed a lot of warm clothes. Started at the Goodwill and got 10 long-sleeve shirts and sweaters for $20. We struck out on pants so had to hit the Target, but kept it pretty minimal. We have some time before it gets really cold, so I'll stalk the Goodwill for winter boots over the next couple of months.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1336 on: August 26, 2014, 06:56:50 PM »

I totally love in season tomatoes.  Grew a lot last year, dried them slowly in the oven with a sprinkling of salt and sugar and vac-packed them before freezing.  The best!

Tell me more about this drying princess. I've used the oven before - no seasoning, but they taste baked, and often stick to the pan. Tried using silpat and olive oil to avoid the sticking oroblem, but I don't season them.  I also don't seed them, should I?

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1337 on: August 26, 2014, 06:59:14 PM »
Invested my HSA, except for the $1K minimum cash I need to keep.  The website is f'ing confusing, so didn't get automatic investing set up, but I will soon. Since I invested all I could, I don 't have anything in the account to invest right now...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1338 on: August 26, 2014, 08:36:05 PM »
Cut 5 heads of hair today -- WAHL clippers from amazon keep on clipping! Made stir fry for dinner even though I was exhausted from son getting wisdom teeth out (it didn't go well and he's in quite a bit of pain tonight) Used a/c today to help me cope with stress. I think it was worth it because I was able to get things done and make dinner due to not melting! I'm almost certain I would have broken down and bought dinner had I been in that state!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1339 on: August 26, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
I cooked a huge pot of lentil soup (vegan for Meatless Monday) and brought a bowl to work for lunch today.  Bonus - I resisted the urge to toss in some smokey, delicious bacon.  Mmmmmmm, bacon.

I would love vegan food if it had more bacon in it.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #1340 on: August 27, 2014, 03:25:52 AM »

Tell me more about this drying princess. I've used the oven before - no seasoning, but they taste baked, and often stick to the pan. Tried using silpat and olive oil to avoid the sticking oroblem, but I don't season them.  I also don't seed them, should I?
I use the recipe in the River Cottage Preserves Handbook, which involves drying them (I use my dehydrator rather than the oven, if you use the oven, I think you're supposed to use a wooden spoon to prop the door open so that the moisture can escape) and then marinading them in balsamic vinegar for an hour or so before packing them into jars and covering with oil. They have to be used fairly quickly if you do them in oil though. I think this year I'll try freezing some. DrJohn, do you think freezing them without vac-packing would work?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1341 on: August 27, 2014, 06:28:06 AM »
I've frozen dried cherry tomatoes, both vacuum packed dry, and in little plastic containers packed in oil and it works a treat.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1342 on: August 27, 2014, 08:34:48 AM »
Currently drinking a smoothie made with strawberries and peaches the produce guy was throwing out and I volunteered to adopt.  Pretty soon going to freeze the crockpot full of vegie chile made with tomatoes and peppers from the same source.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #1343 on: August 27, 2014, 11:16:14 AM »

I would love vegan food if it had more bacon in it.

Ha!  Someone mentioned a Baconfest in another post and I had to stop myself from checking for flights on Kayak!

I'm hoping to extend the completely meatless days to Monday and Tuesday.  Because I'm a single guy and have no idea how to cut a recipe down, I'm hoping the left-overs of these meatless meals will reduce my meat consumption by a decent percentage for the rest of the week.

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #1344 on: August 27, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »
I brought my own coffee, lunch, and snacks to work.
I brought a stainless steel water bottle to drink the free filtered water.

What I need to do this weekend is harvest all the free blackberries in my yard.
Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
http://2minimize.blogspot.com
My Etsy Shop
https://www.etsy.com/shop/StudioSiva

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1345 on: August 27, 2014, 01:49:35 PM »
Did grocery shopping at Winco since I had to drive to the area anyways to drop daughter off at the airport. Drank water from water bottle we brought with us. 

boogiewoogie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1346 on: August 27, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »
I got a sizeable raise at work and didn't spent any money to celebrate. The increased income will be solely be used to increase the stash...

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1347 on: August 27, 2014, 02:47:30 PM »
Found Walmart coupons for $5 off 5-quarts of synthetic oil.  When I got there, it was also on Rollback for $21.95, so got enough oil for three oil changes for $50.85.  Now to find the filters on sale somewhere...

flashpacker

• Stubble
« Reply #1348 on: August 27, 2014, 03:59:25 PM »
I spent 5-10 seconds typing my receipt numbers into Wal-mart savings catcher and saved $3.00.  Full disclosure that I've inputted 3 other receipts and gotten nothing or only a few cents back.  Not bad for how little time it takes though.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1349 on: August 27, 2014, 04:03:29 PM »

I use the recipe in the River Cottage Preserves Handbook, which involves drying them (I use my dehydrator rather than the oven, if you use the oven, I think you're supposed to use a wooden spoon to prop the door open so that the moisture can escape) and then marinading them in balsamic vinegar for an hour or so before packing them into jars and covering with oil. They have to be used fairly quickly if you do them in oil though. I think this year I'll try freezing some. DrJohn, do you think freezing them without vac-packing would work?

I put a pair of big tongs over the oven door - spoons etc. tend to fall out!  I am thinking of buying a dehydrator..... I've looked on Craigslist but no luck.