Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021002 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12850 on: May 18, 2019, 07:31:36 AM »
I picked another couple of meal portions of edible plants that I can use as vegetables. Free food.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12851 on: May 18, 2019, 07:37:47 AM »

I brought home a couple containers packed with cooked pork that was left-over from a meeting at work.  It was free - the caterer was going to throw it out.  It's what's for dinner, several dinners.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12852 on: May 18, 2019, 08:24:35 AM »
I ordered some jeans and a jacket (both a need not a want) from an 2nd hand ebay seller. I am a plus size and it is hard to find items second hand. The items arrived and are good value for what I paid. BUT the jeans donīt fit and the jacket is only 80% right.... I contemplated for two days keeping them and calling the jacket ok and to "work into the jeans" . But here is the problem.... I have a loadful of clothes to "work into" and it never happened.
So just now I decided to return everything (it is free of charge just as the shipping was). I feel bad to have them have costs and no business but I just do not need more clothes that I am not totally happy with.

I buy used clothes from Ebay too and get really good brands at good prices. I have had purchased things that don't fit too. I didn't sent them back but donated them to charity. The bad thing is you can buy a size like a size 18 in 5 different brands and none would fit the same. One too small, one too big, one sloppy fitting and so on. There are no standards in sizes and that includes shoes too. It is hit and miss every purchase. Some brands run true so it is good to stick to that brand.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12853 on: May 18, 2019, 09:21:50 AM »
Leftover apples at work = home made apple cake for national holiday tomorrow.

Yum:) - I love apple cake. How do you make yours @Linea_Norway ?

@Rosy

For the bottom layer, I used an old recipe for cake: 250 grams white flower, 250 grams white sugar, 250 grams of butter or margerine, 5 eggs and a dash of baking powder. Just mix together and put in a roasting tray. I also added some totally optional sweet edible plant to the batter and some grated lime skin.
The apples were chopped with skin still on, and blended with brown, thick sugar, some cinnamon, some carnation, some nutmeg and vanillasugar. In the oven quite warm for more than an hour. But I had to put the temperature lower after 45 minutes, because the apples were brown enough. It tastes good.

@Linea_Norway - Wow, that is indeed an intriguing recipe - I cannot wait to try this one.
Questions:
1. Carnation as in condensed milk?
2. I might try a bit of finely chopped lemon verbena leaves from my garden in the batter then - it has a sweet, lemon flavor - do you think that would work?
3. How many apples approximately? and how small do you chop them? Slices or cubes?

Thank you so much:)

@Rosy

Carnation was a translation mistake, because I used a tool that gave a wrong suggestion. I meant clove, in powder form.
Yes, lemon grind would also work.
I had 8 apples. I shop each quarter in 2 or 3 slices and each slice in 4 chuncks.

@Linea_Norway
Oh this is indeed an old recipe, I can tell:).

If you like - I have an over hundred-year-old recipe for a cheesecake which makes its own crust while baking.

shawn77777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12854 on: May 19, 2019, 11:42:54 AM »
This week has been crazy weird I kinda retired but will be doing some uber and whatnot.  Over the last 25 yrs I've had somewhat of a drinking problem and bar hangout problem so I quit both not sure if permanent but I think so.  It probably unfortunately what I spend the most money on outside of actual bills.  Been eating at home most of the week.  Found out today about the elec company peak hours this summer and will adjust the a/c during these times.  Stayed home quite a bit this week as well so I won't be tempted to happy hr or whatnot.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12855 on: May 20, 2019, 08:12:16 PM »
I always check the discount rack at the grocery store when we go in. I've had some great finds there- my (very expensive) prenatal for 75% off (nearing expiration), and today toothpaste! 50% off. Only find things we need about 1/3 times at most, but the savings on supplements and household items make it well worth the effort. Just have to resist the siren call of shitty discount candy ;)

I always check the clearance aisle or the endcaps when I'm shopping. It's such a thrill when I find something I actually need that's deeply discounted. Especially when I have a corresponding coupon! The trick is not to pick up anything else just because it's on sale...

Today I saved money by having a friend drive me to work, then take my car back to the building garage to protect it from the big storm moving through. I was going to Uber, but then realized that would cost over $20. But I definitely didn't want any storm damage on my car.
Took lunch to work and got gas at the cheapest local station.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12856 on: May 21, 2019, 12:59:55 AM »
Finally since many weeks I have walked to work again and will walk back later today. Showered and washed my hair at work. Use work's shampoo and towel. Eat banana provided by employer.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12857 on: May 21, 2019, 07:36:50 AM »
It was a rocky few days, but here are the wins:
-Drove our electric car to & from Santa Cruz for a race, saving on gas
-Called about a $25 charge on our credit card that shouldn't be there
-We had some frugal fails this weekend, so we have leftover takeout in the fridge. Ate that for dinner vs making something different.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #12858 on: May 21, 2019, 11:17:06 AM »
Bought a used sewing machine over the weekend for $30. Plan to learn to do easy alterations on my existing clothes that don’t quite fit right. DW has already identified a few items of hers that are to be added to my To Alter list, although has informed me that they should only be attempted after I’ve mastered the given alteration on my own article of clothing ;)

I learned that overdying faded jeans is an easy DIY from reading through this thread today, so I’ve ordered some dye and will have at least 2 “new” jeans for the price of a few dollars of dye!

A few months ago I noticed some evidence of drywood termites in 3 places around the house. I researched DIY ways to get rid of them and since the areas were very small, identified that localized heating would be the best first option to try. Used a hairdryer to heat the areas above 120* F for at least 25 minutes and I checked yesterday and there is still no new termite frass after 3 months so it worked! Exterminators in our area always push tenting the whole house, which is over a thousand dollars and you have to move your whole family and all your food out of the house for 3 days. And the fumigant that they use is a bad greenhouse gas that stays in the atmosphere for 36 years. So I saved money and avoided a huge increase to my carbon footprint!

shawn77777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12859 on: May 21, 2019, 12:50:56 PM »
Canceled HBO after my favorite show GOT ended on my hulu acct.  Also getting ready 2 negotiate with my alarm company to lower prices.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12860 on: May 21, 2019, 02:45:21 PM »
Our homeowners insurance is going up almost 50% this year for no apparent reason (haven't had any claims), so I requested some quotes from other companies.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12861 on: May 22, 2019, 12:58:55 AM »
Our homeowners insurance is going up almost 50% this year for no apparent reason (haven't had any claims), so I requested some quotes from other companies.

It is well known that insurance companies have low prices only for their new customers. They screw up prices for their faithful customers. You should revise your insurances very regularly. I have noticed that 3 years is already too long to wait.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12862 on: May 22, 2019, 09:30:07 AM »

It is well known that insurance companies have low prices only for their new customers. They screw up prices for their faithful customers. You should revise your insurances very regularly. I have noticed that 3 years is already too long to wait.

My car insurance hasn't done that to me, but homeowners did -- went from ~$700 to $900+ in one year with no claims or apparent reason.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #12863 on: May 22, 2019, 09:39:25 AM »
The shower drain has been really slow. It happens a few times a year despite preventative measures (mesh over the drain, clearing it daily, taking the drain off and scraping out as much as I can reach when it starts to get slow, etc.) - two women with long hair will do that. I don't like to use Drano regularly because it's bad for the pipes. We used to call our super whenever this happened and he'd come snake the drain. But our building got sold last summer and our new super sucks. We called him to see if he'd come snake the drain, and he stopped by hours after he said he would with a different chemical. Insta-Flo? Whatever, if the chemical causes an issue it was his choice so therefore Not My Problem.

We almost didn't bother calling the super, but it ended up saving the money I would have spent at the hardware store on our own snake or Drano. And my shower this morning was much more pleasant.

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #12864 on: May 22, 2019, 09:40:14 AM »

My car insurance hasn't done that to me, but homeowners did -- went from ~$700 to $900+ in one year with no claims or apparent reason.

That seems to be the policy for certain homeowners insurance companies but not others. I had my rates raised for no reason every year when I had Farmer’s but never in 8 years with State Farm or in the 2 years so far with USAA. So if you’re with one that raised, switch!

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #12865 on: May 22, 2019, 09:56:56 AM »
Yesterday I figured out how to thread the sewing machine and mended a sheet set that had been fraying at some carelessly made hems. Since it was poorly sewn to begin with, I wasn’t too worried about my ugly stitches as I learned how to properly set the tension. My stitches went from god-awful-ugly (but stopping the fraying) to not-quite-straight but otherwise normal looking. Sheet set was only $20 to begin with, so I still have another $10 of alterations or repairs to be net zero on the $30 cost of the used sewing machine. Hopefully I’ll hit that today!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12866 on: May 22, 2019, 09:00:00 PM »
I'm shopping to stage a house we've spent the last year fixing up. My budget for the entire project is as far below $2k as I can manage. This means a lot of ND, CL, thrifting, plus some sewing. Goodwill is not usually on my radar, even though there's one very close to me, because their stuff is picked-over crap and their prices are high. Today, I went to a GW in a less affluent area. I found some nice throw pillows, but there were no prices on them and nothing on any sign mentioned pillows. I asked and was thrilled to be told they were $2.99. When I got to the cashier, i discovered it was Senior Day, so they were an extra 15% off. Yippee! Later, I found 2 more in brand-new condition for $5 each at another thrift store.

I've been following four pillows on Next Door that were $15 apiece. I offered a BOGO ($30 total), the dude said no and didn't bother to counter. Said he'd keep them for that price. Ten days later, they're still on ND and CL. I was going to have DH try to finagle them for me, but now I'm covered, and I only spent about what pillow dude wanted for a single pillow. Score!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #12867 on: May 23, 2019, 05:52:44 AM »
Our garden is producing loads of yummy organic greens for us -- about $20 worth per week. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12868 on: May 23, 2019, 05:53:57 AM »
The kiddo's birthday party is coming up in a couple of weeks.  We'd already decided on serving hot dogs.  Guess what went on sale this week for Memorial Day?  Don't worry.  I checked the use-by date and it's well past the date of the party.  Surprisingly, ketchup isn't *that* great of a deal this week, at least not for the amount I need to make the super yummy sauce (that will probably be eaten mostly by the adults instead of the kids). 

MrGrossGoatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12869 on: May 23, 2019, 02:58:44 PM »
I am no longer going out for lunch at work, period!  I have a nice stash of oatmeal, trailmix, and bananas at work that serve as my first two meals of the day. I also ride the train to work, because my company pays for my transit pass. Yay money!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #12870 on: May 23, 2019, 04:56:31 PM »
The shower drain has been really slow. It happens a few times a year despite preventative measures (mesh over the drain, clearing it daily, taking the drain off and scraping out as much as I can reach when it starts to get slow, etc.) - two women with long hair will do that. I don't like to use Drano regularly because it's bad for the pipes. We used to call our super whenever this happened and he'd come snake the drain. But our building got sold last summer and our new super sucks. We called him to see if he'd come snake the drain, and he stopped by hours after he said he would with a different chemical. Insta-Flo? Whatever, if the chemical causes an issue it was his choice so therefore Not My Problem.

We almost didn't bother calling the super, but it ended up saving the money I would have spent at the hardware store on our own snake or Drano. And my shower this morning was much more pleasant.

Chemical drain cleaners are generally ineffective on hair clogs.  They are intended to work on grease clogs.  The best way to deal with hair is with a snake or similar mechanical means.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12871 on: May 23, 2019, 05:10:25 PM »
I saved $200 out of pocket today when my pharmacy could not fill a prescription in its entirety for me.  It’s an anti-parasitic antibiotic and not in heavy demand in the suburbs I gather. 

Why has Prolific stopped offering me surveys?  Is anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?  I’ve updated 100% of my info with them. 

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #12872 on: May 23, 2019, 05:38:55 PM »
Hauled out the sewing machine and repaired two pairs of pants that had holes along the seams and fixed the legs of another pair that were tapered so tight they fit like rubber bands awkwardly at mid calf on me, so cut about 3 inches off, rehemmed them shorter so they're not boa constrictor pants any more and I'll actually like wearing them.

Turned off the A/C as soon as we got up, reassessed our clothes line and fixed that, and hung two loads outside to dry. Figured out how to hang another line and will be put that up this weekend so we can go dryer free again this summer. Had been using line drying up until last year when we lost the ability to anchor the line tightly as our fence decided to start leaning so now we're using the really, really oldschool way of propping up the lines with very long poles the way they did it in Victorian times. Easy, works well, and can just tuck the line/poles away when not in use so actually even better than the tension line for us right now.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12873 on: May 23, 2019, 08:58:47 PM »
I saved $200 out of pocket today when my pharmacy could not fill a prescription in its entirety for me.  It’s an anti-parasitic antibiotic and not in heavy demand in the suburbs I gather. 

Why has Prolific stopped offering me surveys?  Is anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?  I’ve updated 100% of my info with them.

Had a lull in surveys for a few weeks, but it's picked back up in the last couple of weeks. But the ends of academic semesters can be slow, and that may be what you're seeing.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12874 on: May 23, 2019, 09:13:07 PM »

I never get a ton of them but I've been doing fine this week. Just logged in and there are two new ones since this morning when I checked.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12875 on: May 24, 2019, 05:20:21 AM »

I never get a ton of them but I've been doing fine this week. Just logged in and there are two new ones since this morning when I checked.

I never get that many anyway, but felt like the number had actually gone up in the last couple weeks (academic year ending end of June/early July here - I mostly get Dutch surveys through them).

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12876 on: May 25, 2019, 10:55:57 PM »
Found an awesome deal on 🍊 tangerines at the local excess grocer, went back today and got 20 pounds more (cost around 5c a pound)- this will cover all of our snacks for the next three or so weeks for a total cost of $1!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12877 on: May 26, 2019, 07:17:56 AM »
-Finally used the last of a lotion that's 13+ years old. Can't believe it's gone!
-Ate leftovers for lunch yesterday
-Resisted the urge to book a fancy outing with a friend. Suggested a significantly cheaper alternative

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12878 on: May 26, 2019, 07:39:26 AM »
I bought a pair of pretty expensive thights at a specialist store for an occasion, but despite being measured by the sales lady it didn't fit when I opened it on the morning of the event. I went back to the store, got my money back and got a bottle of perfume as a freebie as well. It's a full sized bottle that you normally get if you spend X euro. I don't use perfume but I know someone I can gift it to. I'm just happy I got my money back.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12879 on: May 26, 2019, 09:04:44 AM »
I've been doing this monthly for two years, but haven't thought to post until now. When I discovered MMM/FIRE a couple of years ago, I got fired up (pun intended) to actually SAVE money, not just use coupons and shop store sales. I cancelled some subscriptions and got my internet and phone bills lowered a bit. It came out to $30/month.
I could've just let it get absorbed into my checking account. Instead, I set up an automatic withdrawal for that amount to go straight to savings. Then it gets added to other savings and used to buy FTSAX. Since then, I've shaved a few more dollars off here and there, and it's $37/month. That's about $800 that, in the past, I would've bragged about *saving*, but it would really be spent elsewhere. Now it is really SAVED until it is used in the manner I choose, instead of being frittered away.

Today, drank the last of the strangely oversweetened protein drink by mixing it with unsweetened almond milk until it was palatable.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12880 on: May 26, 2019, 09:15:57 AM »
Used the balance from a gift card I've had in my wallet for FOUR YEARS. Local book store, but downtown, so I almost never go down there. Well, yesterday we had cause to, so we stopped and bought the guidebook for an upcoming trip we wanted. $1 cheaper than through amazon, supported local business, and got $10 off of it with the gift card. (Which we got from selling books there years ago while downsizing).

Admittedly, needing to go downtown on short notice meant the parking completely ate up the gift card savings =( Womp womp. But at least it made me feel a bit better about it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12881 on: May 27, 2019, 01:44:04 AM »
Walked to work today and will walk back again this afternoon.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #12882 on: May 27, 2019, 11:11:19 AM »
I biked to my gym class this morning - a little extra exercise (7km round trip) on a gorgeous day. Got the second deep freeze emptied into the bigger one so it can be unplugged for a couple months until we start picking and freezing fruit again.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #12883 on: May 27, 2019, 08:37:09 PM »
I installed gutter caps to stop the constant demand for cleaning out large amounts of pine needle debris we get around here.  Before capping them I had to re-level 2 gutter spans since they were not draining.  I was out there about 9 hours but the last span was so bad I was sure I needed to hire someone to fix and gave up on it yesterday afternoon, resigned that I would have to get a professional out there.

After sleeping on it and thinking about it a lot I climbed back up the ladder this morning and was able to fix the last one myself after about 4 hours effort for that single span.  It required I cut down the interfering unused phone land line drop as well which I did without hesitation.  I have a tall ladder, wire cutters, and moxie fo' days so I pulled it off and coiled it up at the bottom of its pole across the street.  My neighbor was fairly freaked out by that bit.       

Exhausted and sore.  Bruised legs from the ladder.  But I did it myself and made a nice improvement to the home which will pay off with lots of future saved effort. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12884 on: May 29, 2019, 04:48:55 PM »
I don't shop online much (or at all, honestly) but I have a couple of things I'd like to buy with an eye towards environmental sustainability (reusable bags etc.). This week I got an offer for a free month of Amazon Prime as well as an easy survey from the credit card company I use offering a $10 gift card for Amazon. So that's free shipping and $10 off the stuff I was planning to buy :-) And I kind of enjoyed the survey, which was all about picking the most appealing account options - very Mustache-friendly with evaluating sign-up bonuses and interest rates and cash back rates.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12885 on: May 29, 2019, 05:39:38 PM »
Picked up my daughter from the airport, but used the 20 minute free "wait and call" area rather than the usual parking lot (at $6 for 20 minutes).  Then I managed to stay there for 21 minutes, as the car clock and my phone clock did not say the same time, and the car clock went out when I turned off the ignition.  So I got charged $2.02 for the pleasure of finding out the clock in the car is out by a couple of minutes.

I still saved about $10 all up, but was a little annoyed with myself.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12886 on: May 30, 2019, 07:27:08 AM »
I have not done this yet but I am going to. I have some leftover bread and will make a savory bread pudding. I saw a demo on YouTube and it looks good. Basically you mix a few eggs with 2 cups milk. Add in 8 cups of bread chunks. Add in some cheese. Chop up some onions, vegetables and meat of choice. Saute meat and vegetables. Stir it all in together then put in a casserole dish and bake at 350 for 50-60 min till golden on top. This is a great idea because I always have left over bread and scraps of this and that that usually get tossed out. Will be a good savings and make a tasty breakfast.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12887 on: May 30, 2019, 08:27:36 AM »
Yesterday I harvested all the Roma tomatoes along with a few grape tomatoes and made a killer sauce - all with herbs from my garden.
One bay leaf, Italian oregano, parsley, garlic chives and a variety of peppers.

Today
Drying red hot peppers to give as a gift.
Chopping up rosemary for a spice gift and a jar for myself.
May cut some lavender to dry for sachets.

Checked on my geranium experiment - Yay - grew a new geranium plant from a broken off branch (wind damage).
Tomorrow I'll see about growing a new African blue basil from my existing plant - they don't self seed so I'll be potting a branch while still on the mother plant. (Worked once before)

Not spending money at all this month, saving instead for extra vacation spending money in June.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12888 on: May 30, 2019, 09:33:10 AM »
thinking about replacing home internet with a hotspot connection, could save $22 a month

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12889 on: May 30, 2019, 08:03:35 PM »
I clipped digital coupons on Wegmans’ website before I went to the grocery to buy good food for a work goodbye party.  I saved $2 on a family pack size of pita chips, and also got the house brand of Brie because nothing says we’ll miss you like Brie!  I will get reimbursed for my purchases since it’s a work party but I’ll still call it saving myself money. 

I had a second Wegmans order of my own goodies and used another digital clipped coupon to save $2 off a 10-pack of their house brand tissues.  I went with the larger boxes that had more tissues in them vice the more attractive artwork on the smaller boxes. 

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12890 on: May 31, 2019, 05:23:54 AM »
I have not done this yet but I am going to. I have some leftover bread and will make a savory bread pudding. I saw a demo on YouTube and it looks good. Basically you mix a few eggs with 2 cups milk. Add in 8 cups of bread chunks. Add in some cheese. Chop up some onions, vegetables and meat of choice. Saute meat and vegetables. Stir it all in together then put in a casserole dish and bake at 350 for 50-60 min till golden on top. This is a great idea because I always have left over bread and scraps of this and that that usually get tossed out. Will be a good savings and make a tasty breakfast.

Sounds yummy! Regarding easy old bread recipes; check out Knodels! It's eaten a lot in the Alps and Dolomites and sooo yummy and super easy.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12891 on: May 31, 2019, 06:39:42 AM »

Sounds yummy! Regarding easy old bread recipes; check out Knodels! It's eaten a lot in the Alps and Dolomites and sooo yummy and super easy.

Here is another good idea for left over bread, a French toast casserole: https://www.eatingonadime.com/french-toast-casserole-recipe/

Seems these bread based casseroles have endless ideas to use up old bread!

Maybe use up Italian bread with pizza sauce and mozzarella!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #12892 on: May 31, 2019, 03:54:46 PM »
What is this "leftover bread" you speak of?

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12893 on: May 31, 2019, 09:48:13 PM »
- Purchased items for delivery from Home Depot in store rather than online so that I could use my military discount

- Air dried a comforter

- Borrowed a tool from a neighbor instead of buying one

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12894 on: June 01, 2019, 04:36:48 AM »

Left over bread is when people cannot use up a whole loaf of bread before it goes stale. It could be home made from bread maker machine, store bought bread, hamburger/hot dog rolls. Usually stale.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #12895 on: June 01, 2019, 05:02:46 AM »

Left over bread is when people cannot use up a whole loaf of bread before it goes stale. It could be home made from bread maker machine, store bought bread, hamburger/hot dog rolls. Usually stale.
Oh, I see!  I keep that bread in the freezer, it does not go stale in there ;-)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12896 on: June 01, 2019, 05:20:56 AM »

Oh, I see!  I keep that bread in the freezer, it does not go stale in there ;-)

Yes, I do the freezer thing too but still accumulate too much bread! Plus, it takes up too much room in the freezer.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12897 on: June 02, 2019, 07:28:59 PM »
Carpooled with a friend to a local resale shop. I wasn't planning on buying, so I just looked. On the way out the door, we poked through the 'free' box. There was a bolt of fabric! I'm an avid sewist, so I'm thrilled to find free fabric. There ended up being over 5 yards of brand new fabric in excellent condition!!
I found some ribbon today on clearance for $1 and $0.50 for 3 yds, and used a gift card to pay for it. I found a clearanced out birthday gift for a party next month, and a box of birthday cards, 12/$1.50! (I like to snail-mail birthday cards, so I always ask for postage stamps as gifts. Sending 12 birthday wishes will cost me $0.14 each!!)
It was a good day for crafting supplies :)

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12898 on: June 02, 2019, 07:37:16 PM »
Drank filtered water instead of bottled water.

Shaved DH's head. He hates paying for haircuts now that he trusts me with the razor.

Hiked instead of hitting the treadmill (slight savings in electricity!)

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12899 on: June 03, 2019, 11:07:40 AM »
We braved rush hour on public transit rather than pay for parking downtown.  The kids enjoyed the adventure as well!