Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3918530 times)

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12800 on: February 27, 2019, 03:37:37 PM »
/tangent/ Thank you for this thread.  It's really helping with the small motivations and reminders that the little things add up./end tangent/

I had dinner before heading out to an event, so I won't need to buy dinner out tonight. Plus, after the event, we plan to go grocery shopping. (The store is very close to the event venue, so one less bus fare to pay!)

And dinner was mostly a leftover rice dish that I added more veggies and some leftover sauce to (yeay for leftovers!)

35andFI

• Stubble
« Reply #12801 on: February 27, 2019, 06:45:32 PM »
Biked to the grocery store (5 miles round trip) instead of driving.

Used a coupon at said grocery store.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12802 on: February 27, 2019, 07:55:27 PM »
@jengod, I apologize if you've addressed this before, but what are the ingredient ratios in your citrus-infused vinegar cleaner/dishwasher rinse?

~~~~~~~~
Instead of driving to the office this weekend to do taxes, I'm going to bring the receipts and other documents home and do them there.  It's supposed to snow, plus I'll save 20 minutes each way in fuel and vehicle wear and tear.

@MountainGal -- it's dead easy.

1. Stuff any large-ish empty jar (often a thrifted 1.5L European-style canning jar) with as many citrus peels or squished citrus fruits as I have on hand.
2. Pour white vinegar over the peels until covered.
3. Leave it alone two or three weeks.
4. Empty the citrus-infused vinegar into a new clean bottle through sieve and a funnel.
5. I find it's good in the mop bucket in combination with Dawn and hot water, as well as being a great replacement for Jet-Dry/Finish.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12803 on: February 28, 2019, 12:27:13 AM »
DH sold our old tent, for a much higher price than we had expected.

Maybe it is because a new tent of the same kind has such a high price, that people are willing to pay so much for an older sun-damaged tent.

DH also sold another, even older tent, for a good price.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #12804 on: February 28, 2019, 10:49:32 AM »
@jengod, thank you!  I will try this and report back at a later time.

@SerenaDarrin, I second the use of leftovers!  They are a huge food cost saver.  I had breakfast this morning from Sunday's leftover brunch items.

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12805 on: February 28, 2019, 11:04:25 AM »
Called the library.  I noticed that the books I returned to the library had not been checked in off my account yet, so I called to ask them to check on it.  They found they had been reshelved without being checked in first.  Avoided a potential fine!

Arbitrage

• Bristles
« Reply #12806 on: March 01, 2019, 09:32:29 AM »
- Got an email about using my ecobee4 to sign up for smart thermostat gas company rebates.  I'd previously received a rebate from the electric company, but not the gas company.  Supposed to be $75, and my application was accepted.

- Complained to an ebay seller about a shipping damage to a package containing special drinks that we regularly purchase for my son for medical reasons.  The complaint was legit, as two of the drinks had burst and soaked the entire shipment into a sticky mess.  The seller was very good and shipped a replacement, which arrived in good condition.  I took the time to clean the old shipment and managed to salvage most of it, which isn't trivial - these run about $40/shipment.  Saved about $35!

- Really an accumulation of effort over the last 3 months, but I've taken charge of the grocery shopping.  Got a solid couple of months of accounting for the differences, and the grocery bill has dropped from ~$900/month to $500-$600/month, including items like those expensive drinks above.  Very happy with the progress here.  $300 monthly savings, if maintained, trims almost $100k from our required stash!

mountain mustache

• Bristles
« Reply #12807 on: March 01, 2019, 09:32:13 PM »
walked to work, walked home. Walked to the insurance office to change my car insurance coverage, dropped comprehensive, which is saving me $100 every 6 months. Ate dinner my roommates cooked. It was all in all a very cheap day!

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #12808 on: March 02, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »
Got a 7lb pork butt for $6.  Split it into two batches of carnitas.  One to freeze, one to make this week.  Sous Vide at 185 for 8-12 hours.  Yum!

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12809 on: March 02, 2019, 11:26:19 AM »
We went cross country skiing, but the normal free parking place was suddenly 10 dollars for a special occasion. We used our local knowledge to find a parking in the other end where it was for free.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #12810 on: March 03, 2019, 08:45:56 AM »
Starting lots of veggie seeds today.  I grow a big garden, so it would cost a ton to buy all the seedlings.  Ultimately, it will turn into lots of cheap, delicious food.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12811 on: March 03, 2019, 06:33:29 PM »
-Batch prepped meals for the week
-Used a gift card that had been floating around my purse forever
-Used up pantry ingredients in a recipe (a bottle of bruschetta that I impulse bought at Trader Joes)
-Arranged for carpools for several activities
-Drove our electric car all weekend. Will charge for free at work tomorrow.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #12812 on: March 03, 2019, 10:29:23 PM »
Well this took a couple of days but.....

I cooked a pig's head!

We were gifted a pig's head and had little idea on what to do with it.  Researched online while it was defrosting and it actually was not hard at all.  The biggest headache was that it didn't fit in our big canning pot so I had to split it in half.  I used a heavy cleaver and a hammer for that but any strong knife, sharp hatchet or saw will cut through the bone.

We wound up with over 6 quarts of the best jellied stock imaginable and a bunch of delicious meat.  Start to finish it took about 7 hours the first day, cleaning,boiling and dissembling the head.  On the second day we finished up the stock, made two batches of head cheese and started really enjoying the results of our work! So delicious!

Google an YouTube are your friends for recipes and ideas.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12813 on: March 04, 2019, 01:11:49 AM »

I cooked a pig's head!

We were gifted a pig's head and had little idea on what to do with it.  Researched online while it was defrosting and it actually was not hard at all.  The biggest headache was that it didn't fit in our big canning pot so I had to split it in half.  I used a heavy cleaver and a hammer for that but any strong knife, sharp hatchet or saw will cut through the bone.

We wound up with over 6 quarts of the best jellied stock imaginable and a bunch of delicious meat.  Start to finish it took about 7 hours the first day, cleaning,boiling and dissembling the head.  On the second day we finished up the stock, made two batches of head cheese and started really enjoying the results of our work! So delicious!

Google an YouTube are your friends for recipes and ideas.

That sounds badass for modern society standards.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12814 on: March 04, 2019, 04:35:31 AM »

I cooked a pig's head!

Awesome.  Good job. 

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #12815 on: March 04, 2019, 03:44:00 PM »
Combined a coupon with a sale to get a pound of free butter.

Put oatmeal in the blender and made oat flour. A dollar a pound or less for oatmeal vs several dollars a pound for oat flour. We use quite a bit.

(Both of these were my wife's efforts, not mine)

Geosoxs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12816 on: March 04, 2019, 03:58:33 PM »
Walked to work, ate a food prep meal for lunch and some fruit I bought at  Costco

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12817 on: March 04, 2019, 07:08:13 PM »
This is an accumulation of things from the past week. I took several bags of aluminum cans I've picked up on my daily walks, and sold them at the metal scrapper. $12 in free money!
I went through the cabinets and pantry and have been creating meals from what we have, not just what sounds good that day. I've got several repurposed containers full of boxed lunches and portable breakfasts. I even went one step further and filled some lunch bags with fruit, cheese, and the boxed entrees so there's a complete, healthy meal I just have to grab from the fridge. Part of it is changing my mindset to "what I have sounds good". My entire grocery bill last week was $5.30! Just the ingredients I needed to bridge the gaps between ingredients I already have. I'm also continuing to take advantage of the numerous snacks offered by my job to keep my grocery costs down.
It's been very cold here lately, and I've felt the lack of long-sleeved layering shirts. I used a $60 reward to order the shirts I wanted plus a baby gift for a friend.
I've been reading through Cait Flanders' blog and getting inspired to save more. I've been using my local library's app to download e-books directly to my Kindle (that I received as a gift several years ago).
Now I've just got to do my taxes and buy some more index funds with the refund! :)

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12818 on: March 05, 2019, 08:00:50 AM »
This month, and probably also the next 2, I can register all my extra hours as paid overtime (50% extra). Normally I can only register then as normal hours, which I can later take off.
Overtime hours can either be taken off at some more quiet time, then I get paid out the 50% only. Or I can have them paid out and receive 150%.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12819 on: March 05, 2019, 09:56:18 AM »
Bought coffee on the run but darn it at least I got the $0.10 cup discount.

middo

• Pencil Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12820 on: March 05, 2019, 03:10:58 PM »
Rode my motorcycle into work today for my 35 km commute.  It was raining, so I thought about the car or train.  But - I have the wet weather gear, so this saved money compared to the other options.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12821 on: March 05, 2019, 03:41:25 PM »
this is a loss but:
met up w friends over wknd.  they wanted to meet up at a kids play area that is inside and you have to pay $30 to get in and romp around with their costumes, etc

it was nice outside, 40F, we tried to get them to go outside.  but they're inside folks. so we did the inside thing.

the whole process just made me so damned sure that we are doing the right thing by being outside alot of the the time and not being so connected to this consumer culture

MoolahLula

• Stubble
« Reply #12822 on: March 05, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »
I sold some of my media to the local used bookstore and got $7 cash and $18 store credit in return.  Then InI bought a new to me fleece bath robe and sweater dress from Goodwill for $7.  I also got my cat groomed (yeah, not very Frugal but neither are stitches and tetanus) and because I paid cash I got 5% off. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #12823 on: March 05, 2019, 04:42:49 PM »
Stayed home :)

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12824 on: March 06, 2019, 01:50:32 AM »
Walked to work and will walk back this afternoon.

Lincolnshire Girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12825 on: March 06, 2019, 02:22:52 AM »
Car Insurance

Renewal quote came through at £385 annual price. As usual I ring them up to ask them to give me a better deal. He checks through a few details and quotes me £318 just for phoning and staying loyal. Having already filled in a comparison site in my name rather than my husband's, I ask for a quote for me as the main driver and OH as the second driver, new quote comes through at £216. The computer system now shows that our house insurance, also in my name, means we can combine our policies. Car Insurance policy will now be £154. Saved £231, same company, no paperwork!

mountain mustache

• Bristles
« Reply #12826 on: March 06, 2019, 06:10:54 AM »
dropped comprehensive coverage on my 18 year old vehicle, saved me $98 every 6 months! Also lowered the usage, which saved me an additional $20 every 6 months. I think my bill will be somewhere around $550 for the year now.

The Keen Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Striving for FI, no plans to RE yet.
« Reply #12827 on: March 07, 2019, 02:24:13 AM »
  • Walked in to work
  • Brought in my own lunch
  • Work provides free fruit, I have 2 apples and 2 kiwis a day
  • Work provides free tea, I have two cups of tea a day minimum.

Cool Friend

• Stubble
« Reply #12828 on: March 07, 2019, 09:19:25 AM »
Not so small (to me anyway), but my roommate asked if her girlfriend could move and I said yes!  They're a great couple and she's around all the time anyway.  It's going to save me almost $300 a month in rent, which will fast-track my goal of killing my remaining student loans.  :D

Geosoxs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12829 on: March 07, 2019, 01:58:39 PM »
Walked to work, packed a premade veggie and chicken lunch that cost about $2.50 to make, chose not to buy gum when coworker was going to the store. Asked library on their suggest a book to order a book I've been wanting to read versus buying it.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12830 on: March 08, 2019, 04:55:08 AM »
I went skiing without driving. I had to walk the first part, carrying skis under my arm. Then switch shoes. And then partly over a road that was not cleared for snow until I reached some unprepared trails.

Kookaburra Risotto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12831 on: March 08, 2019, 08:02:40 AM »
Just the usual stuff today - made lunches at home to take to work, made coffee in the office rather than buying it. These small things add up though!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12832 on: March 08, 2019, 08:27:38 AM »
Found a cheaper decaf that is still water processed. Not nearly as tasty as my more expensive one, but I'm mixing them and it's still okay.

Making, not saving, but still. I haven't deactivated my dog sitting/walking profile, I just haven't actively been using it. However, someone reached out to me about walking her dog this week, and it turns out she's right across the street from me. $66 for 3 walks, and it's all in my neighborhood anyway. I look for excuses to go on walks regularly anyway. Bonus to make money for it!

35andFI

• Stubble
« Reply #12833 on: March 08, 2019, 01:28:08 PM »
I went skiing without driving. I had to walk the first part, carrying skis under my arm. Then switch shoes. And then partly over a road that was not cleared for snow until I reached some unprepared trails.

That's awesome!

----------

Today I'll be biking to/from a nice gym (membership paid for by my company) about 5 miles each way.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #12834 on: March 08, 2019, 09:46:09 PM »
Finally caught up on this thread over the last few days! Was behind from August.

We had a big snowstorm here today so I avoided what would have been an endless, frustrating commute and took a snow day. Got the taxes done and filed and refund should be in the bank within a couple of weeks.

As for saving: went nowhere and spent nothing. Drank coffee and ate all meals at home.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12835 on: March 09, 2019, 12:18:23 AM »
Had to take my kid to the pediatrician. Parking on the street versus the underground lot saved $9.

The pharmacy forgot to apply our insurance at first so protesting gently “saved” $50.

Took out the ELF twice today. Saved about $2 in gasoline by going electric/solar instead.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12836 on: March 09, 2019, 04:06:52 AM »
Sold my piano. We used a Norwegian payment app that will charge you 1% over a certain amount. I let the buyer split the sum and pay the amount over the threshold to my husband. So we don't pay the 1%.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12837 on: March 09, 2019, 05:47:42 PM »
Found ground beef on sale for $.99, bought 3 lbs. Found ground turkey for $.50/lb. Bought 5 lbs.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12838 on: March 10, 2019, 09:19:15 AM »
We had company on Friday who brought us a whole pile of food and generously let us keep the leftovers. That's dinner covered for the weekend + more leftovers for the freezer. We both have been tired for the last couple of weeks so we slept in both days and had brunch instead of breakfast and lunch, saving us one meal. We bought a small 0,5 liter carton of milk that was 35% off because it's nearly out of date. We baked blueberry pancakes for lunch and had all the other ingredients in the pantry / freezer. Pancakes are one of my favourite foods to make for weekend brunch (that and waffles or banana bread). The ingredients are cheap, they are quick to make, you can add a lot of different toppings depending on what you have on hand, and almost everyone likes them.

I am making banana bread for the freezer later today, we have some overripe bananas that need to be used.

I went to a free event this morning and ran into several acquintances. I was planning to ask one for a coffee, but she'd just had coffee with someone else when I ran into her and didn't have a lot of time, so we just talked. Socializing is important to me so I didn't save money on purpose, but I still had a nice chat with them and saved a little bit of money.

MoolahLula

• Stubble
« Reply #12839 on: March 10, 2019, 11:21:41 AM »
I had a successful thrifting day yesterday with 5 new to me clothes that all fit when I got home.  I am pretreating a stain in one dress.  I also used a coupon that I had been given when I donated there previously for 20% off.  I am filling out a survey receipt from said favorite thrift store for a free $2 for a future visit.  Iíve lost 50 lbs since December and my work clothes are kinda falling off. 

Aaaaaand I just switched to Mintmobile for a cheaper bill than what ATT has been giving me.  Hereís my referral code if anyoneís interested.  http://fbuy.me/mdrlu

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12840 on: March 10, 2019, 12:13:40 PM »
Iíve lost 50 lbs since December and my work clothes are kinda falling off. 

Well done!!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12841 on: March 10, 2019, 02:48:37 PM »
*Making sourdough bread for dinner, used the excess starter to make pancakes for breakfast
*Returning a sweater I bought on clearance but decided I won't wear often
*Used Hilton points from a work trip to knock a few bucks of my Amazon order this morning (LED grow lights, which in the long run will be cheaper than what I currently use for my veggie seedlings, both in electricity and bulb replacements)
*Built a seed-starting bench out of cheap lumber, mixed a couple kind of leftover stain together to finish it, and mounted it with old shop shelf brackets that I spray painted to make them blend better/be less ugly, using a can of paint I already had.
*Starting a bunch more seedlings for the garden.
*Working with Stanley customer service to hopefully get a replacement lid for my travel mug instead of replacing the whole mug.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12842 on: March 11, 2019, 02:16:48 AM »
Walked to work today and will walk back in the afternoon. Washed my hair at work and stood a big a few minutes longer under the warm shower to enjoy the luxury. I don't do that at home.

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12843 on: March 11, 2019, 09:01:25 AM »
- Went on a family vacation for my gramps's 90th birthday.
    * Got the group to put all their liquids into one checked bag so we only paid the fee on one bag, instead of 3.
    * Bought snacks at the resort with credit we had from booking direct (couldn't be used offsite) and ate that instead of stopping for dinner on the drive home from the airport.
    * Didn't go offsite and only ate/drank at the resort (all inclusive). Didn't need to buy groceries last week and have settled our desire to eat out for the next while. Homecooked food
       never tasted so good!
    * Didn't buy souvenirs. Took some fun photos which I'll make into a book ready for the next time shutterfly does a free book deal.
- No leftovers to bring for lunch today. Scrounged and brought to work a lunch of cheese, crackers, salami and olives.
- Didn't take the tags off a pair of pants immediately. Have thought about it and will return them. They are super comfortable and were only $8, but I can use others already in my closet for the same use.
- Remembered to bring the gift card when I filled my car up last night. We get them for 20% through our grocery store and I've forgotten it the past couple times.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12844 on: March 11, 2019, 03:18:50 PM »
*Working with Stanley customer service to hopefully get a replacement lid for my travel mug instead of replacing the whole mug.

Update:  I just got an email from their customer service department saying they are sending me a new lid for free.  Awesome!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12845 on: March 11, 2019, 07:32:07 PM »
* Someone was giving away arugula—I used it in a pasta dish for dinner.

* Breakfast was coffee and pastries leftover from my mom’s birthday.

* Took the solar e-bike to pick up the kids, saved $1 in gasoline and got a better view of the butterfly migration in our city right now

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12846 on: March 12, 2019, 06:42:46 PM »
I noticed an Amazon Prime charge on my credit card, went into my account, and what do you know?  I somehow got signed up for the monthly Prime membership in January.  Cancelled, called, and they are refunding the 3 months I was charged for.  $38.97 back to me for <10 minutes of effort.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12847 on: March 12, 2019, 09:09:31 PM »
I'm on a roll today... last month I bought a barn door hardware kit and when I opened it, it was really crappy, and looked nothing like the photos.  I requested a return today after two unanswered requests over the past couple weeks.  Suddenly, they responded, said they'd issue a refund and keep the kit.  So there's another $40 back.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12848 on: March 14, 2019, 09:51:11 AM »
In the truly small stuff vein, I bought my son's birthday gift through ebates before clicking through to Amazon. Amazon almost never has an ebates deal that works with any of my purchases. But, I do it whenever I remember, just in case. Saved $.39.

And, found $.11 on the ground over the last couple of days. #rich

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12849 on: March 14, 2019, 10:40:26 AM »
defrosted fridge that we thought was broken.  it works now
we were ready to buy another