Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020955 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12650 on: April 01, 2019, 09:45:10 PM »
* Went to the bank and picked up a sick kid from school in the ELF; saved money on gas.

* Dried a load of clothing on the line; saved money on electricity.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12651 on: April 02, 2019, 02:00:37 AM »
Free lunch at a meeting today, so my sandwiches stayed in the fridge for tomorrow.

Then free meals from the work cafe appeared on the staff room table as they were nearing use-by.  Free dinner tonight.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12652 on: April 02, 2019, 03:13:25 AM »
Free lunch leftovers from a work party.  Resisted the cake in the cafe when I had my daily cappuccino this morning. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12653 on: April 02, 2019, 01:32:45 PM »
Over the past few days:
-Use the remainder of a very small Subway gift card to buy lunch when we were unexpectedly out.
-Made lunch out of leftovers when I was home unplanned today. (Sick kid)
-Made tea vs turning up the heat, as the thermostat is assuming we're all out of the house today
-Shared rides to & from soccer, to save time & money for all of the families involved

Andrew928

• Stubble
  • Life Is Good
« Reply #12654 on: April 02, 2019, 07:53:46 PM »
Was at the gas station and instead of buying an energy drink I just had a can of Coke at home.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12655 on: April 02, 2019, 08:11:40 PM »
Free lunch at work today again.

I convinced my wife to fill up the car with petrol, as if it follows every other holiday cycle, it is about to go up.  School holidays start in 3 days time.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12656 on: April 03, 2019, 02:25:02 PM »
I had to book a plane on short notice, privately. I fly back very late in the evening. Normally I hate that, because it means it's difficult to get home by train. But I will use the car. This flight was the cheapest alternative available. Just before booking, I remembered that it is a new month and that my cash back CC let's me choose a new discount category. This month, travel and taxfree with 5% cashback. That comes in handy. So 5% back on my tickets.
Then I booked parking on the airport. I used my discount code there to get 50% discount on the normal prices. I used it to choose a parking place close to the gates, a little more expensive than the ones far away that we usually use. But with 50% off, the price difference was quite small. And I will appreciate it when I arrive at midnight.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #12657 on: April 03, 2019, 04:46:14 PM »
Walked home from the airport. Rode my bike to the store, got some marked-down veg that are now roasting under some chicken legs.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12658 on: April 04, 2019, 10:10:57 AM »
i got my POS car  to pass inspection!! another two years of relatively free commuting !
the excitement was so high that i upgraded my usual celebratory clif bar to an artisinal brownie that cost $5. 

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #12659 on: April 04, 2019, 05:36:37 PM »
DH & I loaded up backpacks with books and walked to the library to donate them.  Then we walked to the grocery store to pick up a few items and carried those home in the backpacks.

AlotToLearn

• Stubble
« Reply #12660 on: April 05, 2019, 07:35:13 AM »
saved 100 dollars on home owners insurance shopping around (was at State Farm, now Travelers)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12661 on: April 05, 2019, 10:04:58 AM »
Had unexpected free lunch at work so will be eating my packed lunch for dinner

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12662 on: April 05, 2019, 10:27:40 AM »
found a free ride to work one day of the week

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12663 on: April 05, 2019, 02:31:50 PM »
I closed a bank account that had a $4 monthly fee. 

I had enough cash sitting in it that I "never" paid the fee except if I accidentally made a payment from it as it was my default account.  I would usually catch my error and transfer the money before the end of the day no problem.  This time I let it go for 4 days, March 29 to April 1st. Doh! So I was charged not only the monthly fee but the overdraft fee & interest as well about $14 total.

Anyway, that account is now closed!  That $2300 that was just sitting there is now going to help me with an emergency saving me interest in the long run.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12664 on: April 05, 2019, 05:19:08 PM »
Saved the water I used to rinse rice and used it to water my roses. Great fertilizer!

Kiddo had a field trip this morning then we had to run some errands. Packed lunch for us and ate it while waiting for oil changed, instead of spending ~$20 at a restaurant nearby.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12665 on: April 05, 2019, 05:30:29 PM »
Found a pair of pants for the kiddo at the thrift store.  He really only needed one more pair to get him through until shorts season.  Of course, I picked up a Galileo thermometer for $1.  I've been strangely fascinated by these for years, but could never justify buying one.  Saving on frivolous spending is still saving, right?

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12666 on: April 06, 2019, 04:44:07 AM »
Met a friend for an early walk today- as a bonus, it was too early for the coffee place to be open so we didn’t get coffee after- just had an extra long walk instead! Plus, while I was there I found a $10 note on the ground!! That will be my spending cash for this week!

My adopted doggo went in for dental surgery this week- I’d saved up for the worst case scenario (canine extractions), but thankfully they were able to avoid that! It means that i was able to bank the extra $500 that I would have spent on her, boosting my savings for the month!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12667 on: April 07, 2019, 08:45:23 AM »
I don’t always shop at the produce market several miles from my house. It’s usually out of my way and they don’t publish sale flyers, so I generally take my chances at the much closer Aldi and Kroger.

I seriously need to rethink this practice. The produce market was on my way home yesterday. After a quick stop, I left with two stuffed large grocery bags’ worth of very fresh veggies and a 10-lb bag of potatoes for a total of $14.24.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12668 on: April 07, 2019, 10:56:38 AM »
Went grocery shopping at the nearby grocery store for food for today (the cheaper stores aren't open on Sunday ) and tried to buy as much as I could on discount and/or 35% off.

We will be having guests over later this week and will cycle 10-15 minutes to Lidl to get food for them. Every time I go there I remember I should go there more often, it's just out of the way. If you're cooking a few meals for company it's a big difference in princing.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12669 on: April 08, 2019, 05:49:00 AM »
DH was out of town the last 10 days, only spent $18 on produce while he was gone and $0 on restaurants.  Did a stock up yesterday on produce, coffee, bagels, snacks for DD for the week and a bunch of other things including some marked down meat and used coupons and rewards to get three bags of groceries and cleaning supplies for $30. 

Over the weekend I had to drive two hours each to collect keys from a tenant, packed coffee and lunch so I didn't have to stop along the way. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12670 on: April 08, 2019, 12:49:24 PM »
-Picked my husband up at the airport vs Uber, saving about $25
-Made an entree to bring to a potluck. Most people bought, so it was a good change up & went fast. I bought one ingredient, but mostly used things I had on hand
-Made a huge batch of chicken sliders in the crockpot yesterday, because it's a crazy work week

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12671 on: April 08, 2019, 11:02:16 PM »
Small savings--At my meal-prepped lunch at work. Snacks provided by work. Home snacks were leftover oranges from a work event. The peels are getting packed into a jar with white vinegar to make orange-scented cleaning fluid I read about on this forum. :)
Big savings-- I maxed out my IRA and actually did the research to buy into funds for it, instead of just leaving cash sitting there like I've done before #facepunch

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12672 on: April 08, 2019, 11:24:47 PM »

Was meant to meet a friend for a coffee, suggested a local nature walk instead, saving $5 (for the second time this week!)

Spent the day at a local sports competition, packed a lunch and snacks for DS and I to save on food out

Repurposed an old martial arts gi by removing identifying club labels so that it can be worn for other events, saving $120 (not that I'd buy a new one, but still

We are off on an overdue holiday break in a traditionally expensive/popular area, but i booked a very reasonable 3 star place with a full kitchen about 15mins out, saving $500+ and allowing us to cook most of our meals in.

Made a lasagna with ingredients on hand (I was particularly proud of my cheese sauce - after realising I had no flour for a thickener, I found an old packet of pancake mix in the cupboard (which is like 80% wheat flour anyway) and used a spoonful of that instead - worked perfectly!)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #12673 on: April 09, 2019, 03:51:42 PM »
Resisted the $11 airport sandwich when my shuttle was delayed, ended up having lunch at 4 pm (a fairly decent chicken leg and bread from HEB, total cost $1.49).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12674 on: April 09, 2019, 07:21:53 PM »
Confession time: I've had a very spendy month.

My department was sold to a new company so I kept a buffer in my transaction account until we switched to the new pay cycle.

This meant no shares and only a tiny amount into savings in March, which then turned out to be an expensive month.

I decided to pay my health insurance annually rather than wear another price hike in April, so that was a couple of grand I hadn't budgeted for. My car battery needed replacing, that was another $220. My grandmother was diagnosed with bowel cancer and she lives eight hours away, so I spent $90 on flowers and delivery. The work changes have meant I've bought lunch out a couple of times with my team (a chance to talk away from our new corporate overlords).

I'm over the spending, over not watching my NW move this month, over feeling disorganised and out of control.

So now I'm working on getting back on track (and back in the black, as J Fry says).

I got up early and made fried rice for lunches for the rest of the week.

Dropped off my 14-year-old cowboy boots to be re-heeled. $22 and I should get another 14 years out of them.

I spent $12 on my nephews for Easter (less than last year, and probably still more than they need).

I've shopped my pantry for this week's meal plan. Bought a few groceries on Monday night but used supermarket vouchers from bottle recycling.

And I'm rewriting my budget to accommodate the change in pay (from fortnightly to monthly).

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12675 on: April 09, 2019, 07:37:40 PM »
I had a full day (8am-6pm) of ortho Dr appointments in a very expensive ski town today, and I packed snacks/water so I didn't have to spend any $$$ in the very expensive hospital cafe, or any of the exorbitantly priced coffee shops/cafes in town.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12676 on: April 09, 2019, 10:31:12 PM »
My dog requires a lot of different medications. Some can be purchased at Chewy. My friend had a Rx coupon for Chewy she didn't have a use for and gave me the coupon code. It saved me $15! I also see people on ebay sell them. One of the prescriptions costs me $155 so I may be buying some of those coupons. I may only save $10 after buying it for $4 or $5 but it is still a great coupon! The coupon must be used for a Rx or a Rx combined with food but must include a Rx.

Someone kindly left one of these coupons in our mail room. I'll have to check it out after my dog's next checkup!

I needed a baby shower gift for a friend. I bought a 42 pack of diapers at Winco for $4.42, and snazzed up the diapers by looking on Pinterest for diaper messages. (You use a marker to write funny messages on the diaper fronts to make diaper changing more fun, supposedly!)
I got a pair of baby shoes for pennies on a larger online order that I was using a coupon on. Reused gift bag and thrift store ribbon finish off a cute gift that I spent less than $5 on, but it doesn't *look* like I only spent $5!

Had to run three separate car trips today at different times. I made sure that I did at least two errands on each trip. Found five pennies total on the ground!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12677 on: April 10, 2019, 03:19:49 PM »
In the last few weeks:

Found and picked up a dime and later a penny off the ground:)

Was about to re-order some earing ear-lobe supports when I noticed they charge $7. for shipping. Found them on Amazon - same price but free shipping - $7 saved:)

Found a great deal on a set of outdoor furniture I really wanted - saved $200. Then the guy mentioned someone had just returned a set with a scratched table, was I interested? Sure, saved us - $40. Fixed the scratches with pens I had on hand. Looks like new:)
Used my military ID - saved us - $50.
There was a snafu at the checkout, long story, but - saved us - another $10.

Found a set of used outdoor furniture - negotiated and saved another $20.

Finally found the perfect rug for our living room - saved 10% on sale. Nice bonus, since I would have bought it regardless - plus I scored a $10 coupon for future use.

Paid $1 each for a bunch of garden and household things at the Dollar Tree - saved me roughly $50, amazing.

Mr. R. bought several BOGO items at the grocery store and my friend saved me $23 by reminding me to use my military ID at a local store.

About to do my own taxes for free - savings $140 and hopefully a return of $145.

Repaired six different garden implements/decor.
Also painted and fixed two outdoor tables so they'll last us a few more years - roughly saved us at least $250 plus in replacement cost.
Re-use, make do and wear it out:)

A friend picked up our new outdoor furniture - saving us $79 in delivery fees.

Managed to compost and enrich soil from previous years saving me about $30 instead of buying more soil at the garden center.

Stocked up on some cheap, but good grow boxes for the next gardening season - good find from a promo at a new store - future savings in that I can grow more things from seed or seedlings next year.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12678 on: April 12, 2019, 06:54:34 AM »
I went out for drinks with my sports club last night and somehow every time I wanted a drink someone new walked in and offered to pay a round for everyone I was standing with at the bar. Even though I do feel a bit uncomfortable that I didn't get a chance to offer a drink back to anyone, i guess it saved me some money?

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #12679 on: April 12, 2019, 09:29:17 AM »
Nothing went according to plan yesterday, but somehow we didn't spend any money:

- Forgot to bring lunch to school for my shift. Caught wind that the free food from the art show the day before had been transferred to one of the faculty rooms (where I'm not allowed as student staff) from a professor in my department, who also offered to load me up a plate. Various fruits, veggies, nuts, etc made for a free and snacky lunch :)

- Had a later day than originally planned, so the planned dinner was a time intensive no-go. Instead, tossed some veg broth, a can of coconut milk, the remains of the veggie drawer, and a block of tofu + some dried linguini noodles in a pot. Added some Thai red curry paste, ginger, and garlic for a super quick ramen-like meal. Was ready in the time it took the noodles to cook.

- Did a couple of Prolific surveys while waiting for the noodles to boil, which pushed me over the payout limit.

- Boy2 wanted a small table/desk away from his computer to use as a homework station. We're moving and purging, so don't really want to bring new stuff into the house. Remembered an old camp table with a broken latch hiding in the basement. 15 minutes of work to repair it. Bonus, he can fold it and stick it in his closet when we are showing the house.

- Found a donation pickup that aids refugees that takes soft furnishings. I was afraid we would have to landfill an old, unstylish couch and barely used guest bed because people are squeamish about them (tried to sell and give away, didn't work). Hated the idea of the waste and the expense of the dump. Glad to save the money, but even more so happy to help those that need it that are coming here with nothing. Not totally free, as I also decided to make a $5 donation to the "truck fund" to help cover the expenses of picking up and delivering donations.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #12680 on: April 12, 2019, 10:56:08 AM »
I know this is minor but made my breakfast at home and made coffee at work.  Sometimes I'm rushing in the morning and don't have time to make it so I end up buying it and feeling guilty.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12681 on: April 13, 2019, 02:45:45 AM »
A few seconds before confirming an order on Amazon for $80 worth of gifts for Easter I asked my wife if we really wanted to get our kids Easter presents. In the end we decided to go ahead and later purchase a basketball and a couple of other sports time items we were going to get to encourage our older kids to play outside. But we agreed our two younger kids didn't need another couple of plastic toys when my wife just spent most of the day putting away a multitude of other toys. We decided that some candy on Easter was more than adequate and introducing gifts would take away from the true meaning of celebrating Jesus's resurrection.

However, I'm still very close to spending $125 on a map holder/ planner/ accessories for my second job in the Army to replace using a document protector and clipboard.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12682 on: April 13, 2019, 04:53:52 AM »
I remember always getting socks (the knee high type) for Easter as a little girl, but I didn't know getting Easter gifts were a thing outside of my family. I think it does indeed distract from the real meaning of Easter, so good of you to not start that tradition @Michael in ABQ ! There are plenty of frugal family traditions that you can start that are also fun and much more in line with the meaning of Easter.

I am not celebrating Easter at all this year, which is a great way to save money but not much fun. We used to have massive family celebrations when I was a kid and now I don't even have much family left, let alone people who want to celebrate Easter. My partner is away over the weekend. I don't go to church a lot but I think I will go this year so it doesn't totally feel like a regular week.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12683 on: April 13, 2019, 09:15:37 AM »
My kids (ages 8 and almost 7) don't believe in the Easter bunny and we're not a religious family, so we generally just give Easter a miss.

Things the children believe in:
-A fairy who buys their teeth
-an old man who brings presents all over the world
-Thor
-Zeus
-baby Jesus
-Heaven, which they are pretty sure is in Greece (on Mount Olympus), and is where our departed cat has gone to hang out with Zeus et al.

They are unsure whether baby Jesus could lift Thor's hammer. They are pretty sure he would be WORTHY, but... he's a baby.

They draw the line at an egg-laying bunny who brings candy. That is clearly ridiculous.

Returning to the topic of the thread, I made a list and am sending my husband to the big semiannual children's consignment sale in search of the children's summer clothes and whatnot. I personally have to work, but he is game, although he has been an official parent for only 7 months and has never shopped for children's clothing before.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12684 on: April 13, 2019, 08:35:45 PM »
My kids (ages 8 and almost 7) don't believe in the Easter bunny and we're not a religious family, so we generally just give Easter a miss.

Things the children believe in:
-A fairy who buys their teeth
-an old man who brings presents all over the world
-Thor
-Zeus
-baby Jesus
-Heaven, which they are pretty sure is in Greece (on Mount Olympus), and is where our departed cat has gone to hang out with Zeus et al.

They are unsure whether baby Jesus could lift Thor's hammer. They are pretty sure he would be WORTHY, but... he's a baby.

They draw the line at an egg-laying bunny who brings candy. That is clearly ridiculous.

This is hysterical.

Today I bought a feed store gift card at Fred Meyer.  That way, I'll get 5% back on my credit card, plus 4x fuel points.  Probably about $18 in savings, assuming I use the fuel points to fill my truck (20 gallons).

Also, planted onions and potatoes.

Dug up two volunteer bunchgrasses from the front yard and put them in a pot for a fundraiser basket thing at work.  Sadly, I didn't have a pot I wanted to give away, so I did spend $4.50 for that, but still pretty cheap compared to what others are probably going to spend for this.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12685 on: April 14, 2019, 03:42:11 AM »
Returned a few items of clothing to the store. I hate clothes shopping so much that in the past I might have kept them even though they're not perfect for me, but I know I'll never feel truly happy and comfortable in them, so they must go back.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12686 on: April 14, 2019, 09:17:09 AM »
I've spent a good bit of the day (and yesterday) repurposing wood from our demolished  attic. It's all good pine without any signs of woodborers, suitable for making a double compost bin for the garden. Right now my muscles feel a bit sore from carrying and cutting it to the appropriate length so it's been good exercise too.

Otherwise, a non-spend day. Canceled an unused subscription to save me 50 euros a year.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12687 on: April 14, 2019, 01:28:38 PM »
Breakfasted on leftover bagels that I acquired while staffing an informational table at an event that had wildly overpurchased bagels for their attendees.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12688 on: April 14, 2019, 02:18:25 PM »
Since we were gifted some fabulous homemade blackberry jam - I made pancakes yesterday and saved some of the batter for round two for Sunday Brunch.

It was harvest day in my "potager:)" - made a big batch of spring kitchen-sink soup (throwing in whatever I had on hand, using one third of the Swiss Chard I harvested this morning. Made a side dish of Swiss Chard with onion and bacon and will serve it this evening topped with cheese.
Third batch is in the fridge waiting to be sauteed later.

The pepper plants are taking off and I have been using them in my cooking, this morning I brought six big peppers from the garden and chopped them up - they freeze really well. Set the first red hot chili pepper on the window sill to dry.
Of course, the "first" of any of the herbs and veggies are always so exciting - yay, they made it:).

Bundled up a huge amount of Rosemary to dry early in the week along with some lavender. I use them in cooking, sachets, and for gifts. Shared some with a friend who is not a gardener, but she brought me some fresh eggs from her beloved chickens.

The lettuce is not liking our hot weather so I harvested some for a salad tonight. Still have some more in the shadier part of the garden.
I was happy to see one of my dill plants is finally beginning to grow and look fat and happy.

Instead of buying new plastic garden chairs, we scrubbed our old ones - we don't have that many parties anymore, so these are just extras anyway. Ten chairs - lots of elbow grease:)

Organized my garden stuff really well last year - saved me money - no duplicate buying of overpriced specialty fertilizer for palms, azaleas, citrus and orchids.

Found some killer deals on garden lanterns on clearance - perfect for our birthday garden party.

Saved money and time on planting this year since the zinnias, cosmos, and pineapple mint self-seeded themselves generously, although I pulled out all the pretty lipstick red tropical salvia seedlings - thinking they were weeds:) - bought two new plants for $4.95 each - shoot!:)

Discovered that I can grow lavender from seed here in Florida - learned a bit more about the varieties and which are best for aromatherapy. Also discoverd a great place for weirdo, I mean "rare" herb seeds online - so I plan to have some fun with that.
At first I had $100 worth in my cart, but managed to stick with my planned budget of $25 to $30. - THAT WAS NO SMALL FEAT!:)

Looking forward to doing a few garden art projects this year - made 95% from what I have on hand. I did cave and buy some cool looking floral wire at the dollar store - fancy wire - easy to work with and will not rust. You can't do any better for just one dollar - sweet deal.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12689 on: April 14, 2019, 07:31:16 PM »
rode my bike to work. packed a lunch. same ol same ol! Didn't spend any money at all today. sweet!

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12690 on: April 14, 2019, 08:00:04 PM »
My DS (14) and DH (36) both definitely still believe in Easter 🐣  🤷🏼‍♂️

We make baskets with rolled up towels, they get a chocolate bunny 🐰 each and a couple of bags of candy (eggs are so expensive, but bags of chocolates etc are on sale atm). Costs maybe $30 (including choc bunnies for the nieces/ nephews).

I’ve been on a blissful holiday this week. Ways I saved were

-booking a cheapish family place with a pool, DVD player and wifi- bringing along old movies from home

- researching free activities to do here- we’ve had a beautiful morning walking the national parks 🏞, time at the beach 🏖  window shopping and fishing at the river and swimming in the pool.

- the place we booked had a kitchen, so I’ve brought a few days with of nice snack foods and easy lunch / dinner fixings - still feels like a treat but is way cheaper than eating meals out!

- visiting the library beforehand to get a big pile of new releases to keep us sane on the long drive!

Having a few days away from our usual intense physical sports training has felt like a lovely break,
Im feeling revitalised and ready to get back to it!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12691 on: April 15, 2019, 01:03:45 PM »
Made a dog treat out of an old flavorless bone and some homemade beef broth. I put the bone and the broth in an plastic tub and froze them. She licked and chewed the frozen broth to get to the now-flavorful bone.
Needed a copy of a receipt to mail with a form. Instead of driving into work on my day off or going to the copy place and paying for one, I asked the front office of my building if they wouldn't mind making me one copy. She was happy to do it, and I got in a little walk in the sunshine and got another small, nagging thing off my to-do list.
Made a call to my bank to get money transferred out of an old non-interest bearing account and into my regular account. Combined with my tax refund and a work bonus, I'll fully fund my 2019 IRA!! Woot!! Not a small thing, but sometimes the multitude of small tasks necessary to accomplish a big task are what hold me back. I made the calls, filled out the forms, redid my budget, checked my accounts...all small things that added up to one BIG thing.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #12692 on: April 16, 2019, 02:02:52 AM »
I know this is minor but made my breakfast at home and made coffee at work.  Sometimes I'm rushing in the morning and don't have time to make it so I end up buying it and feeling guilty.
If it works, than it aint stupid (or minor).

Was late so put my cereal in a container and grabbed a near-empty carton of milk to eat it at work.

heiding

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12693 on: April 16, 2019, 06:44:12 AM »
Saved:  The other day I did some research online - made a call or two and ended up with a new deal for electricity (same company) - 15% reduction, and gas - 30% reduction.  That coupled with a much cheaper sim card is going to hopefully save around $1,000 per year.  I will also switch my home and contents insurance to a different bank. Same cost but twice the cover.

I found out online (I had some sick days last week, so was able to spend more time researching cost-saving measures!) that if I refill my bus card via the website I will save 5% or about $100 per year.

I didn't eat lunch today, not hungry for some strange reason - saved a good $5!

My colleague has gone off coffee and gave me her left over coffee bags - free coffee for the rest of the week and next week - lucky!

Not saved: The day before yesterday I potted up a geranium cutting which I'd taken from my sister's garden a few months back.  It had been in a glass of water for a while so it could take root.  was so happy to see it in a nice pot.  Today I went outside to say hello to it - it was gone, not the pot, just the plant!  I noticed a bit of a mess on the deck, the watering can was tipped over, some cuttings were all messed up.  Then I saw some possum poo and realised it was those buggers. Nicked my geranium!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 06:45:51 AM by heiding »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12694 on: April 16, 2019, 07:28:21 AM »
Drove our electric car to & from work, & had free lunch & snacks at work.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12695 on: April 16, 2019, 04:53:29 PM »
Brought lunch to work, biked to work, bought discount tickets for a vacation we’re planning.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12696 on: April 17, 2019, 01:34:17 PM »
Not only today, but more a thing of the last 2-3 weeks. When I was crazy busy at work I sometimes got lazy and got a coffee ($1 pre-9 AM). Now I've got a bit more time and mental energy and don't have to go in at weird hours anymore, so I cut the emerging habit.

Also wasn't hungry for lunch yesterday, so ate it for dinner instead.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12697 on: April 17, 2019, 02:21:03 PM »
My 4-or-5-generation-old phone has been acting squirrely lately.  Online research tells me that it's probably a battery issue.  Luckily, I picked this particular model because it was the last of the Galaxy phones to have a removable back.  Hopefully a $15 battery will keep this one going for another couple of years.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12698 on: April 17, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »
Recently:
~Saved 22% at the grocery store using paper and e-coupons
~Saved .60 per gallon at the pump using the store value card
~Saved at least $40 yesterday since Kohl's and BBB didn't have what I was looking for
~Earned $6 by returning empty ink and toner cartridges to Office Depot
~Saved $20 or so by not picking up fast food on the way home last night.  Ate leftovers instead.
~Bought 4 BOGO t-shirts and a tank top yesterday
~Continuing to save time and money by receiving my RX 3 months at a time via mail order

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12699 on: April 17, 2019, 07:27:57 PM »
I'm traveling for work and only spent $7 of my $62 per diem. I picked a hotel that has free breakfast and free "social hour", which served enough food for dinner, so all I bought was a sandwich and cookie for lunch.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!