Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 5010395 times)

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12450 on: December 30, 2018, 01:46:24 PM »
We haven't been in the grocery store since before Christmas! I hope to be able to avoid the store for the last day of December too. We've been eating Christmas leftovers and random items from the pantry for days now.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12451 on: December 30, 2018, 05:31:35 PM »
Traveling to our rentals. Had an unused free hotel night left that's expiring in a few days. The corporate website said no Rewards Nights were available, though the hotel still had rooms. I called the hotel directly and got the reservation approved. Free sleep, free breakfast, then back on the road this morning. Of course, I packed a cooler full of road snacks and we gassed up at Costco along the way.

that sounds pretty optimized

Arbitrage

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12452 on: December 31, 2018, 09:49:59 AM »
Avoided going out to eat again. 

In reviewing our end-of-the-year finances, I'm amazed at how this change has taken hold.  We weren't crazy by any means with eating out as a family, perhaps spending $150 a month, but did so with reasonable frequency.  I started cutting way back on this early in mid-2018 in a move toward frugality.  I will admit that at first, it was a difficult adjustment; there were plenty of times I just wanted to get whatever tasty, easy (though to be fair, still reasonably cheap) meal I felt like grabbing from a local place.  However, as the months went on, that desire started to evaporate, and I became perfectly satisfied scrounging up food from the house, rather than having scrounging feel like a capitulation.  Hedonic adaptation indeed.

Down the road, I would like to get more into cooking frugal meals for more variety (and probably as a healthier option); DW used to cook a fair amount but a change in work responsibilities and schedule has made that difficult for her.  I'm not naturally inclined toward cooking, but I do usually enjoy it.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12453 on: December 31, 2018, 10:17:16 AM »
The more I eat out which is rare, I find the food in restaurants to be very sub par. The food we make at home is so much better. We just bought a new cookbook by Dave Venable from QVC. We just made the Pork schnitzel and it was fantastic. You can get tons of recipes for free on the QVC website from various sources. People need to look at a recipe, shop for ingredients then cook! We tend to buy really good food to prepare at home. We are not eating crap to save money. For instance, we bought a rib roast section. It was around 20 lbs. The butcher cut it in half. We froze one and cooked one. We used the Paula Dean no fail rib roast recipe and it came out perfect. We like it pink and this recipe works no matter what size the rib roast. We ate on this for two meals then froze enough for another two meals. It was $5.99 a lb by buying it in a large hunk. You can have much better meals at home. There are exceptions though. I cannot seem to cook Chinese or many Mexican meals but normal every day meals come out pretty good!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #12454 on: December 31, 2018, 01:02:36 PM »
The more I eat out which is rare, I find the food in restaurants to be very sub par. The food we make at home is so much better. We just bought a new cookbook by Dave Venable from QVC. We just made the Pork schnitzel and it was fantastic. You can get tons of recipes for free on the QVC website from various sources. People need to look at a recipe, shop for ingredients then cook! We tend to buy really good food to prepare at home. We are not eating crap to save money. For instance, we bought a rib roast section. It was around 20 lbs. The butcher cut it in half. We froze one and cooked one. We used the Paula Dean no fail rib roast recipe and it came out perfect. We like it pink and this recipe works no matter what size the rib roast. We ate on this for two meals then froze enough for another two meals. It was $5.99 a lb by buying it in a large hunk. You can have much better meals at home. There are exceptions though. I cannot seem to cook Chinese or many Mexican meals but normal every day meals come out pretty good!

Thumbs up to this!  One of the best ways to control spending is to eat at home.  You eat better, know what is in your food and save money at the same time.  Hard to beat that.

Cooking can be great fun as a couple or group activity as well.  Potluck parties, couple bonding, etc.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12455 on: December 31, 2018, 01:39:50 PM »

Yum. My father-in-law sometimes makes a big rib roast for family holiday dinners. It's far cheaper than taking the whole family out for dinner, he gets to play chef, and we all get to choose the bits we like best (I like the crunchy, fatty end).

We'll go out occasionally for Asian food (sushi/Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese) because it's so far removed from my (Mexican and midwestern white people) and husband's (midwestern white people, mostly German) food traditions. But yes, most other food is better and far cheaper when prepared at home.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12456 on: December 31, 2018, 01:41:19 PM »
My parents gave husband and me a nice cash gift for Christmas and told us to buy something that we wanted. We bought some index fund shares.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12457 on: December 31, 2018, 02:17:28 PM »
-Avoided eating out again yesterday, and made everyone a quick lunch as soon as we got home. The kids were very hungry & couldn't wait any longer
-My husband rode his bike to the local lumber store to pick up shingles that blew off a few nights ago during a storm.
-We did buy nice steak for tonight, but we will be eating dinner at home for NYE. Steak, mashed potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts & sauteed mushrooms. We also found a bottle of champagne that someone gifted us, so we'll be drinking that to toast the new year

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12458 on: December 31, 2018, 02:24:46 PM »
Didn't really save money but got two emails from a local culinary school where I had bought two gift certs for the Hub a few years back. He was going quite often but stopped and never used the certs. Each one is worth $250 so I filled out the form to get the moola back! WOO HOO! They said they would have to give it to the state if it was not claimed.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #12459 on: December 31, 2018, 02:37:52 PM »
The family and I rode our bikes to the grocery store (in the rain) to pick up stuff for NYE.

Avoided all of the traffic, got there for free, no car door dents, and got a little workout in!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12460 on: December 31, 2018, 04:50:59 PM »
* emptied the dirty mop water (citrus vinegar, Dawn) on some potted outdoor plants

* Saved $0.80 bringing my own containers to the market

* Spread dried eggshell calcium on the garden beds before we get (fingers crossed) a rain next week

freedomfightergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12461 on: December 31, 2018, 08:40:19 PM »
Just got back to the US from Australia and noticed over there, that people don't leave their AC on, just turn it on occasionally when necessary. It was a hot summer period however the building design and window coverings helped keep it cool inside, lots of thermal storage ie tile flooring, thick brick walls etc.  Also opened up the windows at night for incoming cool breezes.

Also, at every home I stayed at, the washing was hung out on the line.  It dries really quickly!! Costs nothing!

Helped with extending a hydroponic garden setup, adding new garden beds on top of an enormous fish tank.  The plants grow like crazy!  I want to set up my own now. 

Eat lot's of and pack Vegemite Sandwiches.  We happily ate a bunch of them in the snack pack a friend made for us for the plane trip home, no expensive travel snacks!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12462 on: January 01, 2019, 12:47:06 PM »
Arrived home after the holiday in a food without fresh food. We ate some leftover portion of beans from the freezer, rather than visiting a pizza restaurant. It tasted very well.

FrugalAussie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12463 on: January 01, 2019, 03:23:08 PM »
Just got back to the US from Australia and noticed over there, that people don't leave their AC on, just turn it on occasionally when necessary. It was a hot summer period however the building design and window coverings helped keep it cool inside, lots of thermal storage ie tile flooring, thick brick walls etc.  Also opened up the windows at night for incoming cool breezes.

Also, at every home I stayed at, the washing was hung out on the line.  It dries really quickly!! Costs nothing!

Helped with extending a hydroponic garden setup, adding new garden beds on top of an enormous fish tank.  The plants grow like crazy!  I want to set up my own now. 

Eat lot's of and pack Vegemite Sandwiches.  We happily ate a bunch of them in the snack pack a friend made for us for the plane trip home, no expensive travel snacks!

I'm glad to hear that you took to Vegemite, many people don't.  Most Australians have been eating it almost from birth so we acquire the taste before we know any better!

You're right about how many of us use air conditioning, at least in the lower half of the country.  I'm in the West where the heat in the South is dry.  In humid parts of the country, air conditioning could be used differently. When we had our house built we did so with an eye to keeping the sun out in Summer and utilising the breezes to keep the place cool - passive solar principles. 

I don't own a dryer, never have. Even in winter, we are lucky to have some sunny days, so washing gets done then and hung on racks around the place. Our climate makes frugal choices easier.

I've been enjoying more no-spend days in the garden, tidying, dividing up plants, taking cuttings, getting outdoor projects finished. Also, reading library books and blogs, cooking with what we have, walking on the beach. I'm really enjoying time at home. We went out once to do a quick grocery shop, some of which was chips to have with a drink (non-alcoholic for me still - one year alcohol-free) total cost $15. We don't keep chips and other junk in the house as we have zero willpower so will eat it up with no restraint.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12464 on: January 01, 2019, 05:51:30 PM »
-Went for groceries today. Having given up dairy (again... I really just need to stop adding it back in...) I decided to find some good dairy free yogurt to make smoothies with. Found one to try, but all the containers were past their sell by date. I asked an employee if they had any in the back or gave some sort of discount for ones past due. After waiting a long time, he came back with a manager. None in the back, but they had to pull the remainder from the shelves, and did I want one free? And my dear husband asked if we could have two. $12 worth of free cashew yogurt later, I'm a happy soul. Let's hope it makes some good smoothies!

-Need a real desk. Was trying to make what we had work (me using the top drawer of an old dresser), and after 2 months here, it's clear it won't. So in an hour, we're going to pick up a good looking desk for $50 from FB marketplace. I spent a few weeks watching the postings, and snagged the deal when it popped up. Nothing else solid was less than $100 on there! Even checked goodwill. A desk in worse condition was $85!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #12465 on: January 01, 2019, 09:27:33 PM »
Today starts a new quarter for credit card rewards, so I checked which cards had which 5% categories.  Labeled the cards for gas and groceries so I'll remember which to use.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12466 on: January 01, 2019, 11:11:08 PM »
@Bracken_Joy let us know how the smoothies turn out!

Today:
Free exercise for me (walking), free fun for the toddler (local park). Resisted the urge to buy a coffee while we were out of the house.
Eating leftovers.
Making a big pot of low-cost, vege-full curry in the slow cooker.
Regrowing spring onion bases for infinite onion goodness.
Food scraps go into the worm farm for free compost for my garden.

Every single one of these things is also a small thing that reduces my environmental impact ;-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12467 on: January 02, 2019, 02:29:15 AM »
Yesterday we filled fuel for a very low price. I used a cash-back credit card as well.

Today, like in 2018, I made my own lunch to eat at work.

nurseart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12468 on: January 02, 2019, 09:44:48 AM »
Posting for accountability...

Wednesdays are my long work days with a larger than normal commute. Take out especially from our fav po'boy place is pretty tempting but  I have an emergency lasagna in the freezer and will make that instead of spending $20 on a less healthy arguably similarly delicious takeout dinner.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12469 on: January 02, 2019, 02:15:21 PM »
Didn't have to go to the supermarket, because we made lunch and dinner with leftovers from our fridge.
And I think, we can do the same again tomorrow :)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12470 on: January 02, 2019, 04:00:50 PM »
Had a rib roast for Christmas and used the bones to make beef broth. Today I am making a bean soup using the broth. Added some hot sausage I had in the freezer. Used up a green pepper that was getting old, used a whole head of garlic that was starting to get dry. The beans I ordered in bulk and are a variety of beans. The pot of soup is HUGE and will be eating on it plus freezing some for later on. Scrounged thru the cabinets to find some diced tomatoes and stewed tomatoes to add to it too. Thought I had some garlic bread in the freezer but didn't so I had some hamburger buns that I slathered with butter and jarred diced garlic and will broil them.

freedomfightergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12471 on: January 02, 2019, 08:28:58 PM »
did NOT go to Starbucks, did NOT grab a pizza ;)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12472 on: January 02, 2019, 08:31:19 PM »
Listed four items for sale on eBay and one already has a bid so that feels like a good use of an hour!

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12473 on: January 03, 2019, 08:51:56 AM »
Listed a few items on FB and sold a couple of them!

Work day #2 of 2019 and brought my lunch both yesterday and today!

SO says dinner groceries have been purchased for the next week for under $50 (for 6 of us) and there is plenty in the pantry/refrigerator for breakfast and lunches (for those that are not at work).

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #12474 on: January 03, 2019, 08:58:45 AM »

Work day #2 of 2019 and brought my lunch both yesterday and today!

Me too!  High five!

Also packed a sandwich for after work since I'm meeting up with a friend for bar trivia and don't want to buy the bar's $12 sandwiches.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12475 on: January 03, 2019, 09:04:37 AM »
A mustachian reached out to me after seeing me talk about Imperfect Produce. (Which as an aside, YAY mustachians!) Asked for review and a referral code. WELL. When I went to generate the referral code, the page was broken. So I contacted customer care, who fixed it and gave a $5 credit on my account. I then sent the referral code to the mustachian, and when they sign up, we will both get a $10 credit on our accounts. So my next box of slightly ugly produce should be nearly free =)

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #12476 on: January 03, 2019, 10:05:40 AM »
Sold my first item on eBay! Whoop!

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #12477 on: January 03, 2019, 10:12:34 AM »
I discovered that my morning bagel got almost 50% more expensive after the holiday break, and it crossed the threshhold into "I'm not paying this every day anymore". So I bought a 6 pack of bagels at the grocery store for about the same price as the bagel out is now. I had my first one this morning and it's definitely a downgrade in quality, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I've been thinking about doing this for a while, and the price hike was the face punch I needed.

Becki5676

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12478 on: January 03, 2019, 11:06:07 AM »
Started shopping for what is on sale at the grocery store, instead of what I want.  Luckily, avocados were on sale :0)
Also, stopped buying beans in the can, picked up dry beans to cook up this weekend.
Chose greens to make a salad myself instead of the pre bagged, pre washed kind that is WAY easier but more expensive!

Started to cut my own hair and my daughter's too!  I will buy some hair cutting scissors, but I love the freedom and the extra money in my account. 

Stopped getting the dog groomed.  There is dog hair everywhere now, which I hate; but I also hated giving the groomer $70 each time. 

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #12479 on: January 03, 2019, 11:09:46 AM »
Started shopping for what is on sale at the grocery store, instead of what I want.  Luckily, avocados were on sale :0)
Also, stopped buying beans in the can, picked up dry beans to cook up this weekend.
Chose greens to make a salad myself instead of the pre bagged, pre washed kind that is WAY easier but more expensive!

Started to cut my own hair and my daughter's too!  I will buy some hair cutting scissors, but I love the freedom and the extra money in my account. 

Stopped getting the dog groomed.  There is dog hair everywhere now, which I hate; but I also hated giving the groomer $70 each time.

I've started shopping the sales, too! Especially for basics, or whatever produce is a special. Sometimes it requires visiting 2-3 stores, but I work in Uber Eats deliveries to essentially "pay" for my gas and time getting there and back.

Can you invest in some clippers and learn how to do some basic grooming via YouTube?

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12480 on: January 03, 2019, 11:58:33 AM »
I drive a electric car and during the winter I HAVE to charge to make it back home due to the cold zapping the batteries.  I started carpooling with a co-worker a couple of weeks ago and when it is my turn to drive I turn the heat on once co-worker gets in the car, which eats even more battery.  This is my week to drive so I went over to a set of FREE (to me) chargers during my lunch to get a little "fuel" instead of stopping at the fast charger on the way home. 

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12481 on: January 03, 2019, 02:30:11 PM »
Found unopened packs of diapers at Goodwill, some the right size for my daughter, some for the new baby coming May.

middo

• Pencil Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12482 on: January 03, 2019, 04:38:36 PM »
We cooked excess rice last night by mistake, as we are not used to cooking for 5.  This morning, a few eggs, a little bacon and some frozen peas and fried rice for breakfast.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #12483 on: January 04, 2019, 11:47:41 AM »
We cooked excess rice last night by mistake, as we are not used to cooking for 5.  This morning, a few eggs, a little bacon and some frozen peas and fried rice for breakfast.

We cook extra rice on purpose for this. 

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12484 on: January 04, 2019, 12:01:16 PM »
- Ate some leftovers from the fridge that were not very exciting in an effort to reduce our food waste.
- Resisted going out to lunch with the rest of my team and ate the sad leftovers instead.
- checked that I'm set to max out my 403b at work for this year and double-checked our federal withholding since we vastly under-contributed for 2018 and might end up paying a penalty. :(
- investigating my IRA options since I've never had one before. Not sure whether a Roth or traditional makes more sense for me this year (2018 tax year). Roth seems like a better idea overall, but traditional would help us deal with the hit to our taxes from under withholding.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #12485 on: January 04, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »
Our fireplace mantel has been detached from the fireplace since we bought our house almost 9 years ago.  I've been wanting to replace it because it is just an ugly block of warped wood with a nasty dark finish.  I was about to toss it out today, but realized that if I flipped it over, the warping would no longer be a problem, so I decided to start sanding and see if I could salvage it.  With a couple hours' of work, it's now looking like a "reclaimed barnwood" type mantel that sells for $300-500.  I've worked out how to get it securely reattached to the wall for about $10 in parts, and am refinishing it with stain and polyurethane I already had on hand.  Win!

slappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12486 on: January 04, 2019, 03:42:29 PM »

I've started shopping the sales, too! Especially for basics, or whatever produce is a special. Sometimes it requires visiting 2-3 stores, but I work in Uber Eats deliveries to essentially "pay" for my gas and time getting there and back.

Can you invest in some clippers and learn how to do some basic grooming via YouTube?

I tried that with my cat. It didn't go all that well, but it was cheaper than a groom. Not sure if I can get my husband to try it again.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12487 on: January 04, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »
Tonight's dinner was entirely composed of food from our freezer and pantry.

I received a damaged, moldy onion in my Hungry Harvest box today and alerted the company, which gave me a credit on my account.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12488 on: January 04, 2019, 06:54:41 PM »
Cut my daughter’s hair at home. Huge time saver, as well, to in-source rather than trying to find her a salon.

FrugalAussie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12489 on: January 05, 2019, 12:48:55 AM »
I'm continuing with my no spend garden clean-up.  I'm really enjoying my time outside and the garden is looking so much better.

I return to work on the 14th after mostly having 18 months off (the freedom of FI). I thought I was FIRE'd but I'm not ready yet (psychologically) so returning part-time to my NGO work.  I cleaned out my wardrobe, made a list of what I needed and shopped the op-shops for a total of $34. I'm thrilled to have enough Summer work clothes to last a fortnight. That's enough variety for me.

I picked up a ham on special.  Processed it today, lots of it is sliced and in the freezer and I have Pea and Ham Soup in the slow cooker out on the balcony so the house doesn't get hot and smelly.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12490 on: January 05, 2019, 02:32:29 AM »
Will eat leftovers for all meals today. Still haven't spent money in 2019!

freedomfightergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12491 on: January 05, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »

Instead of the usual run to the Grocery store, I forced myself to choose from what is in the kitchen.  Sticking to once a week trips to try and minimize Grocery Bill and Gas costs.

Made my own Pizza using bought cauliflower base - was awesome.

Spent nothing!  Need a spending hiatus after Christmas spendiness.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12492 on: January 06, 2019, 09:15:10 AM »
-Had awesome frugal friends over. As usual, they were game to have food at our place and sit around and BS. I'm not currently drinking and they were fine with that, too. The right friends make frugality so much easier and more joyful! We spent a decent bit getting some good fish to make poke, but it cost way less than even just husband and I going out to eat. Bonus round, helped one of the friends with her Mint account (well, tried to... at least confirmed for her it was being super weird and it wasn't just her failing at math!) Encouraged her to track numbers she wants to preserve somewhere else, too, since Mint can be weird. (Also, saw some of their numbers and was happy- it's so hard to know where friends are at, but it's great to see them living on less than they earn!)

-Been using the gift cards I got on cyber monday to a local grocery store. Paid $400, got $500 of gift cards. I've been successfully remembering them and using them and tracking their balances.

-Had been going to my yoga studio on a new member rate. ($40 for the month). A 3 month end of year deal came up, where it worked out to $80/mon instead of the standard $120. So I grabbed that, but the dates overlapped with my new member month. Contacted the owner, and she straightened it out so there's no overlap now. So now I'm set until March. Plan then is to try and barter some of the price, since she'll know me better then. The owner lives in my building and I'm pretty sure has a young kid. I think I'll offer baby sitting. Pet sitting or walking if she's got a dog, not sure on that. Other barter ideas welcome, too! I think she already has people cleaning the studio, but I could try to offer that too. No check-in person, it's all self done on an iPad, and mat 'rentals' are free.

Trifele

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12493 on: January 06, 2019, 09:58:00 AM »
I'm on a mission to shop efficiently, eliminate food waste, and get our weekly grocery bills down in 2019.  This morning before doing the grocery shopping I did an extremely thorough inventory of the food we have on hand.  It only took 10 minutes or so, and our bill was $30 lower than our weekly average last year.   

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12494 on: January 06, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »
Waited till the last minute to buy tickets for a concert just in case I could win a contest... I didn't, but it ended up being put on the "free for members" list, and I bought a 2019 membership on Black Friday for half price, so I'm getting in for free. I paid ~$40 for the membership and this event is $35... pretty close to breaking even already, and it's only January!

Got home after midnight last night but dragged myself to the grocery store this morning so I could get supplies to make sandwiches for today so I wouldn't have to buy food for dinner out (I'll be out of the house for about 10.5 hours and was going to buy something between activities). I'll be the frugal nerd eating a sandwich and drinking tap water brought from home, while standing in line for the concert... ;-)

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12495 on: January 06, 2019, 11:44:25 PM »
Super small, but today I only pumped the dishwashing detergent pump once. I have always pumped it twice, for who knows what reason... should make my detergent costs halve XD

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12496 on: January 07, 2019, 07:16:15 AM »
Super small, but today I only pumped the dishwashing detergent pump once. I have always pumped it twice, for who knows what reason... should make my detergent costs halve XD

i cant control what the soap pumpers in my house do, but I fill a pot w boiling water,  w 2-3 pumps of soap and fill it w rinsed off dirty dishes and let sit, and rinse them off 30 min later.  I invented a dishwasher

mountain mustache

• Bristles
« Reply #12497 on: January 07, 2019, 07:17:00 AM »
cooked food for the whole week using only food from my pantry/freezer, and no trip to the store! I made:

- spicy Thai curry butternut squash soup
- spicy asian stirfry with ground turkey and stir fry veggies from the freezer
- marinated a pork tenderloin to grill tonight
- marinated some bone in chicken thighs to grill tonight
- made mini meatloafs in muffin tins to grab for work lunches

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12498 on: January 07, 2019, 07:18:18 AM »
Friday - Finished off the 1st 3 work days of Jan without spending money while earning money (no workday spend)

Saturday - Did not stop and get drinks or run by the store "real quick" after daughter's gymnastics (this is a huge deal for us because picking up a drink is a complete habit for our family that we have a very very hard time breaking)!! Walked through the trees with SO to identify which ones should be cut for firewood.

Sunday - House projects with materials that we already had.

Monday - This week is co-workers turn to drive so my "fuel/electric" cost are cut in half for the week.  I brought my lunch again today so it should be another no workday spend, although we have an extremely affordable cafeteria and I brought in a new salad dressing I want to try so I will probably end up getting a salad one of these days from the cafeteria.   

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12499 on: January 07, 2019, 07:20:20 AM »
I 'fixed' underperforming fridge that was making our food spoiled.
I cleaned the moving parts nad coils
now it is at 34 degrees when we wake up

my fam was all ready to go and buy new fridge
$1300 saved on new fridge