Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020691 times)

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12300 on: January 03, 2019, 11:58:33 AM »
I drive a electric car and during the winter I HAVE to charge to make it back home due to the cold zapping the batteries.  I started carpooling with a co-worker a couple of weeks ago and when it is my turn to drive I turn the heat on once co-worker gets in the car, which eats even more battery.  This is my week to drive so I went over to a set of FREE (to me) chargers during my lunch to get a little "fuel" instead of stopping at the fast charger on the way home. 

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12301 on: January 03, 2019, 02:30:11 PM »
Found unopened packs of diapers at Goodwill, some the right size for my daughter, some for the new baby coming May.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12302 on: January 03, 2019, 04:38:36 PM »
We cooked excess rice last night by mistake, as we are not used to cooking for 5.  This morning, a few eggs, a little bacon and some frozen peas and fried rice for breakfast.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #12303 on: January 04, 2019, 11:47:41 AM »
We cooked excess rice last night by mistake, as we are not used to cooking for 5.  This morning, a few eggs, a little bacon and some frozen peas and fried rice for breakfast.

We cook extra rice on purpose for this. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12304 on: January 04, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »
Our fireplace mantel has been detached from the fireplace since we bought our house almost 9 years ago.  I've been wanting to replace it because it is just an ugly block of warped wood with a nasty dark finish.  I was about to toss it out today, but realized that if I flipped it over, the warping would no longer be a problem, so I decided to start sanding and see if I could salvage it.  With a couple hours' of work, it's now looking like a "reclaimed barnwood" type mantel that sells for $300-500.  I've worked out how to get it securely reattached to the wall for about $10 in parts, and am refinishing it with stain and polyurethane I already had on hand.  Win!

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12305 on: January 04, 2019, 03:42:29 PM »
Started shopping for what is on sale at the grocery store, instead of what I want.  Luckily, avocados were on sale :0)
Also, stopped buying beans in the can, picked up dry beans to cook up this weekend.
Chose greens to make a salad myself instead of the pre bagged, pre washed kind that is WAY easier but more expensive!

Started to cut my own hair and my daughter's too!  I will buy some hair cutting scissors, but I love the freedom and the extra money in my account. 

Stopped getting the dog groomed.  There is dog hair everywhere now, which I hate; but I also hated giving the groomer $70 each time.

I've started shopping the sales, too! Especially for basics, or whatever produce is a special. Sometimes it requires visiting 2-3 stores, but I work in Uber Eats deliveries to essentially "pay" for my gas and time getting there and back.

Can you invest in some clippers and learn how to do some basic grooming via YouTube?

I tried that with my cat. It didn't go all that well, but it was cheaper than a groom. Not sure if I can get my husband to try it again.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12306 on: January 04, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »
Tonight's dinner was entirely composed of food from our freezer and pantry.

I received a damaged, moldy onion in my Hungry Harvest box today and alerted the company, which gave me a credit on my account.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12307 on: January 04, 2019, 06:54:41 PM »
Cut my daughter’s hair at home. Huge time saver, as well, to in-source rather than trying to find her a salon.

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #12308 on: January 05, 2019, 12:48:55 AM »
I'm continuing with my no spend garden clean-up.  I'm really enjoying my time outside and the garden is looking so much better.

I return to work on the 14th after mostly having 18 months off (the freedom of FI). I thought I was FIRE'd but I'm not ready yet (psychologically) so returning part-time to my NGO work.  I cleaned out my wardrobe, made a list of what I needed and shopped the op-shops for a total of $34. I'm thrilled to have enough Summer work clothes to last a fortnight. That's enough variety for me.

I picked up a ham on special.  Processed it today, lots of it is sliced and in the freezer and I have Pea and Ham Soup in the slow cooker out on the balcony so the house doesn't get hot and smelly.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12309 on: January 05, 2019, 02:32:29 AM »
Will eat leftovers for all meals today. Still haven't spent money in 2019!

freedomfightergal

• Stubble
« Reply #12310 on: January 05, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »

Instead of the usual run to the Grocery store, I forced myself to choose from what is in the kitchen.  Sticking to once a week trips to try and minimize Grocery Bill and Gas costs.

Made my own Pizza using bought cauliflower base - was awesome.

Spent nothing!  Need a spending hiatus after Christmas spendiness.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12311 on: January 06, 2019, 09:15:10 AM »
-Had awesome frugal friends over. As usual, they were game to have food at our place and sit around and BS. I'm not currently drinking and they were fine with that, too. The right friends make frugality so much easier and more joyful! We spent a decent bit getting some good fish to make poke, but it cost way less than even just husband and I going out to eat. Bonus round, helped one of the friends with her Mint account (well, tried to... at least confirmed for her it was being super weird and it wasn't just her failing at math!) Encouraged her to track numbers she wants to preserve somewhere else, too, since Mint can be weird. (Also, saw some of their numbers and was happy- it's so hard to know where friends are at, but it's great to see them living on less than they earn!)

-Been using the gift cards I got on cyber monday to a local grocery store. Paid $400, got $500 of gift cards. I've been successfully remembering them and using them and tracking their balances.

-Had been going to my yoga studio on a new member rate. ($40 for the month). A 3 month end of year deal came up, where it worked out to $80/mon instead of the standard $120. So I grabbed that, but the dates overlapped with my new member month. Contacted the owner, and she straightened it out so there's no overlap now. So now I'm set until March. Plan then is to try and barter some of the price, since she'll know me better then. The owner lives in my building and I'm pretty sure has a young kid. I think I'll offer baby sitting. Pet sitting or walking if she's got a dog, not sure on that. Other barter ideas welcome, too! I think she already has people cleaning the studio, but I could try to offer that too. No check-in person, it's all self done on an iPad, and mat 'rentals' are free.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #12312 on: January 06, 2019, 09:58:00 AM »
I'm on a mission to shop efficiently, eliminate food waste, and get our weekly grocery bills down in 2019.  This morning before doing the grocery shopping I did an extremely thorough inventory of the food we have on hand.  It only took 10 minutes or so, and our bill was $30 lower than our weekly average last year.   

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12313 on: January 06, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »
Waited till the last minute to buy tickets for a concert just in case I could win a contest... I didn't, but it ended up being put on the "free for members" list, and I bought a 2019 membership on Black Friday for half price, so I'm getting in for free. I paid ~$40 for the membership and this event is $35... pretty close to breaking even already, and it's only January!

Got home after midnight last night but dragged myself to the grocery store this morning so I could get supplies to make sandwiches for today so I wouldn't have to buy food for dinner out (I'll be out of the house for about 10.5 hours and was going to buy something between activities). I'll be the frugal nerd eating a sandwich and drinking tap water brought from home, while standing in line for the concert... ;-)

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12314 on: January 06, 2019, 11:44:25 PM »
Super small, but today I only pumped the dishwashing detergent pump once. I have always pumped it twice, for who knows what reason... should make my detergent costs halve XD

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12315 on: January 07, 2019, 07:16:15 AM »
Super small, but today I only pumped the dishwashing detergent pump once. I have always pumped it twice, for who knows what reason... should make my detergent costs halve XD

i cant control what the soap pumpers in my house do, but I fill a pot w boiling water,  w 2-3 pumps of soap and fill it w rinsed off dirty dishes and let sit, and rinse them off 30 min later.  I invented a dishwasher

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12316 on: January 07, 2019, 07:17:00 AM »
cooked food for the whole week using only food from my pantry/freezer, and no trip to the store! I made:

- spicy Thai curry butternut squash soup
- spicy asian stirfry with ground turkey and stir fry veggies from the freezer
- marinated a pork tenderloin to grill tonight
- marinated some bone in chicken thighs to grill tonight
- made mini meatloafs in muffin tins to grab for work lunches

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12317 on: January 07, 2019, 07:18:18 AM »
Friday - Finished off the 1st 3 work days of Jan without spending money while earning money (no workday spend)

Saturday - Did not stop and get drinks or run by the store "real quick" after daughter's gymnastics (this is a huge deal for us because picking up a drink is a complete habit for our family that we have a very very hard time breaking)!! Walked through the trees with SO to identify which ones should be cut for firewood.

Sunday - House projects with materials that we already had.

Monday - This week is co-workers turn to drive so my "fuel/electric" cost are cut in half for the week.  I brought my lunch again today so it should be another no workday spend, although we have an extremely affordable cafeteria and I brought in a new salad dressing I want to try so I will probably end up getting a salad one of these days from the cafeteria.   

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12318 on: January 07, 2019, 07:20:20 AM »
I 'fixed' underperforming fridge that was making our food spoiled.
I cleaned the moving parts nad coils
now it is at 34 degrees when we wake up

my fam was all ready to go and buy new fridge
$1300 saved on new fridge

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12319 on: January 07, 2019, 11:12:53 AM »
- Biked to the grocery store with my new bike trailer.  Okay, buying half a bike trailer (other half was a gift) wasn't exactly a money-saver, at least yet, but I'm hoping it will further my ascent to a bike-centered lifestyle.  Got a few curious comments, and it rained on the way home, but no worries there.  I've been doing a decent slice of the grocery shopping on my bike recently with panniers/backpack, but the trailer kicks it up a notch. 

- Starting to do some of the cooking myself, mainly in the Instant Pot.  So far, so good - cheaper and healthier eating, I hope.  DW is a great cook, but has been working later and rarely cooking; though I've managed to curtail our restaurant usage, our family dinners have been suffering.  Hoping to fill in some of the gap, and also hoping that by taking on grocery shopping myself, I can trim that bill greatly (thanks, Aldi), as DW is less interested in efficient grocery shopping. 

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #12320 on: January 07, 2019, 11:32:44 AM »
I 'fixed' underperforming fridge that was making our food spoiled.
I cleaned the moving parts nad coils
now it is at 34 degrees when we wake up

I need to do this. Thanks for the reminder!

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #12321 on: January 07, 2019, 12:45:52 PM »
Changed our electricity provider for an estimated saving of $400 per year.

Freezer audit and bulk cooking so we now have plenty of last minute dinners.

SO sold some furniture we didn’t need on FB marketplace.

Working on most ethical and profitable way to get rid of a car that has been an expensive lemon for us. Ugh.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12322 on: January 07, 2019, 01:52:28 PM »
Not sure this is exactly money saving, but I found a set of Rubbermaid food storage containers on sale that are very similar to the ones that have been sitting in my Amazon list for awhile now.  On Amazon, it would have been ~$40.  I got two sets for $5 each.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12323 on: January 07, 2019, 02:50:11 PM »
Just put my Frontier Cable/Internet/Landline on my Costco rewards Visa card. Previously was on auto pay on online banking. This way I will get reward money on each month's bill. Not really saving money but making money!

Tried to do the same with my electric bill and they don't take credit cards. BOOO!!! I previously have been paying my garbage pick up bill and Netflix on my credit card.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12324 on: January 07, 2019, 03:42:36 PM »
* Coffee and breakfast and lunch all made at home; no takeout
* Harvested tangerines for lunch
* Took a "prompt payment discount" (LOL) and cleared a medical bill for a pre-natal test that my insurance doesn't cover

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12325 on: January 07, 2019, 07:03:45 PM »
-Leftovers for dinner
-Free lunch at work
-Had the kids bike one way to school to save gas/time. (It's dark when they finish practice, so I pick up after, but saves o much time when they can at least bike one way.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12326 on: January 07, 2019, 09:33:00 PM »
I made a weekly meal plan that included roasted cauliflower.  Went to the store and there was one giant organic cauliflower in the whole store, which would have been $9.  Quickly decided we could have a $1 cabbage instead.

In the "savings attempt gone wrong" category, I found fancy mixed nuts in the markdowns section.  I opened the package on the way out of the store to grab a handful, and when I got to my car and was putting the lid back on the container, they flipped and ended up all over the parking lot.  $3.99 for one handful of nuts was not a great deal, but at least they were delicious.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12327 on: January 07, 2019, 10:18:11 PM »
Returned a cheap appliance that didn't work. $20 back in my pocket :-)

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #12328 on: January 07, 2019, 10:57:39 PM »
Needed a new black leather belt for my work uniform. Decided to check Kohl’s since I was nearby and found one on clearance for 90% off. Paid $3.02 including tax.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12329 on: January 08, 2019, 06:36:15 AM »
Trolled for a coupon for our favorite eggs - none - boo. But their website had one for $1.50 and I noticed if you buy ten cartons you can send in the proof of purchase for a free carton of eggs.
Not a problem, a good way to use up some old Christmas stamps:) and in the US you can raise the flag on your mailbox and the carrier will take your letter - no need to go to the Post Office. I've always found that amazing.

Dixie_Amazon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12330 on: January 08, 2019, 08:58:56 AM »
Bought a spiral cut ham at Target on sale for $1.99/lb. Use a Cartwheel for a 50% discount. I popped it in the freezer to use on Easter.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12331 on: January 08, 2019, 09:08:31 AM »
-The desk I posted about last week? Yeah, that didn't work out. When we went to move it, the particle board crumbled. Lesson: basements in 100+ year old houses, they're moist. So how did I save? Well, we decided to just make do with the desk we have after all. Spent the better part of a day working on that room, going through papers and cord boxes, filing, on and on. I still need to go buy some things to make up for not having drawers (like one of those tiered in/out type paper organizers for things in flux), but I've given up on the desk search. The table will do.

-Making not saving, but I got a message about a circular saw I listed on FB marketplace over a month ago. Luckily we still have it (I was initially worried we gave up and donated it, but husband tucked it away). So that'll be an easy $20 and some space in our closet.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #12332 on: January 08, 2019, 03:54:40 PM »
I would recommend something like this for your desktop file organizing.  I use one just like it at work and it's kept my desk about 75% clearer and everything is easy to access.

https://www.amazon.com/1InTheOffice-Incline-Desktop-Sorter-Compartments/dp/B06XDSVQCJ/ref=sr_1_8?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1546988019&sr=1-8&keywords=desk+file+organizer

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12333 on: January 08, 2019, 05:02:50 PM »
I got a little two-drawer file cabinet at a thrift store; it's both drawers and a little bit of extra desktop or a printer stand.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12334 on: January 08, 2019, 06:33:37 PM »
I would recommend something like this for your desktop file organizing.  I use one just like it at work and it's kept my desk about 75% clearer and everything is easy to access.

https://www.amazon.com/1InTheOffice-Incline-Desktop-Sorter-Compartments/dp/B06XDSVQCJ/ref=sr_1_8?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1546988019&sr=1-8&keywords=desk+file+organizer

That's *exactly* the sort of thing I need, thank you! Do you find that the folders "slump" over time? Is there some type of folder that stays more rigid than others? I just remember these from working in college, the folders would get floppy then your pages would curl over inside them and get all weird and folded!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #12335 on: January 08, 2019, 07:09:53 PM »
I have not had that issue with that exact (I think) folder organizer.  I think because there's really only room between the uprights for maybe 2 folders with things in it, so no room to curl up.  I've seen others with wider slots that have that issue.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12336 on: January 08, 2019, 07:29:55 PM »
I have not had that issue with that exact (I think) folder organizer.  I think because there's really only room between the uprights for maybe 2 folders with things in it, so no room to curl up.  I've seen others with wider slots that have that issue.

Is that the specific one you have? That's perfect then.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #12337 on: January 08, 2019, 07:54:35 PM »

It's either the exact one or one almost like it.  6 or 8 narrow vertical slots on a basic wire rack.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12338 on: January 09, 2019, 07:52:01 AM »

:-) I do that too, always pumping twice. Today I only pumped once at work, and it was very little soap indeed.
At home I have the problem that I used the liquid soap in the bathroom so little, that no soap came out, no matter how much I pumped. So I should try to flush it through with water.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12339 on: January 09, 2019, 10:33:08 AM »
Returned some extra unneeded light switches this morning.

I periodically troll the lighting section at Lowe's for fixtures on clearance.  We replaced most of the fixtures in our house for about 25% of retail the first year in our house by doing this.  Today I found a nice seed glass pendant for the stairwell, marked down from $50 to $18.  Instead of spending $50+ on a new matching fixture for the upstairs hallway, I'm going to spray paint the existing fixture in nickel, and add an $8 seed glass cover and one of those groovy vintage-look LED Edison bulbs.

While I'm at it I'm going to also spray paint the copper-look handrail hardware instead of buying new hardware.

If the finish comes out nice enough, I might even do the sconce lights on the fireplace.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12340 on: January 09, 2019, 11:44:53 AM »
~Avoided buying a box of tasty sounding k-pods at WM last night.  Saved approx $13.  We have plenty of others, as well as loose coffee.  Stuck to my list.

~Avoided buying impulse junk food while standing in line.  Saved whatever candy bars are going for these days.

~Put .72 into my penguin bank.

~Because the roads are nasty, not doing my usual driving like a bat out of hell driving keeping my gas mileage up.

~Tonight is clean-out-the-fridge, leftovers-for-dinner night.  This saves on food, propane for cooking said food, and dirtying more dishes/pans.

~ETA:  Been eating "garbage salad" for lunches this week.  Using a base of baby spinach and homemade vinaigrette dressing, I add whatever we have leftover in the fridge.  Monday was leftover doctored up canned chicken.  Yesterday was a leftover pork chop.  Today and tomorrow is sliced deli chicken, fresh berries, and some Gouda cheese leftover from the holidays.  Delish.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:18:26 PM by MountainGal »

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12341 on: January 09, 2019, 12:56:15 PM »
Bought a spiral cut ham at Target on sale for $1.99/lb. Use a Cartwheel for a 50% discount. I popped it in the freezer to use on Easter.

HOLY CRAP! Thanks for the heads up. We're headed there tonight!

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12342 on: January 09, 2019, 03:30:05 PM »
i ate partially rotten veggies once a day for 2 weeks before i figured out prob w fridge

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #12343 on: January 09, 2019, 06:45:26 PM »

It's either the exact one or one almost like it.  6 or 8 narrow vertical slots on a basic wire rack.

Those look high enough to be fine.  I have some problems with my organizer like that at work, but I think it's because it's technically a letter holder, haha, with much shorter dividers.

MissMuffins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12344 on: January 09, 2019, 07:04:14 PM »
Today I was helping a friend with a small child go shopping. I found a shirt I would like to wear around the house to lounge in. But... I have been planning to do a closet reassessment, and so I put it back because I don't need it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12345 on: January 10, 2019, 07:07:28 AM »
I saved petrol and motor warmer, because I walked to work and will walk back soon.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12346 on: January 10, 2019, 09:59:06 AM »

aren't they much cheaper than that around easter time? i feel like i've seen .59 a pound for easter hams

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12347 on: January 10, 2019, 02:37:29 PM »
Cooked dinner for today yesterday, using a giant eggplant that I got from our Misfits box, and a small bag of mystery shredded cheese from our freezer that I'm hoping was mozzarella.  This is good, because I'm exhausted today and would likely take out food if I had the option. Also I've been cooking very well all since Christmas, after going through a slump.

Called Optimum and got a new $25/month promotion on our internet package, although I'm still cross with myself that I didn't call last April and get it renewed then. That's the problem with autopay... it was completely off my radar. Did I save money or lose money?  I guess it depends how one looks at it.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12348 on: January 10, 2019, 03:32:24 PM »

aren't they much cheaper than that around easter time? i feel like i've seen .59 a pound for easter hams

Dunno. They were out of them anyway. BUT they had whole chickens BOGO 50% off, plus each one had a $3 off coupon plus another 5% off for using a Redcard. They were nice consolation prizes.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12349 on: January 10, 2019, 03:50:41 PM »
Dinner is a casserole that will use up odds and ends including wild-boar sausage bought on closeout (they were changing the packaging), home-canned tomato sauce and leftover tomato paste, leftover rice, and topped with Parmesan and red chili flakes that came with a pizza my husband ordered.