Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3302313 times)

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #11600 on: June 03, 2018, 01:34:13 AM »
Got a free ticket to a two-day festival. Knew the person working behind the bar, so got some free drinks. Had a proper breakfast and lunch before I went so didn't have to eat a lot of food while there. Stayed over at a family member's place at night so I didn't have to pay for accomodation. Got a free CD there too. All in all, I spent 28 on food and drinks for the entire festival and it happened to be the best one in years.

LilMissMinimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11601 on: June 04, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »
Waited until the leopard sandals I've had my eyes on went on sale to buy. Grabbed them today at 25% off!

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11602 on: June 04, 2018, 12:37:08 PM »
I wasn't organised enough to make my lunch this morning, but I cycled home at lunch instead of buying something at work.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #11603 on: June 04, 2018, 12:43:53 PM »
Instead of replacing my reel mower with a new electric or gas mower, I watched a few Youtube videos and adjusted the blades a bit, so now it works much better. I also returned a shirt and shorts that I had bought on impulse.

nkt0

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11604 on: June 04, 2018, 02:23:53 PM »
Changed my homeowners insurance deductible to $5000, saving $337/year.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11605 on: June 04, 2018, 09:50:50 PM »
* Found six unopened packages of disposable diapers in the baby's size at Goodwill. Grabbed them all. Grandparents and babysitters will be very pleased with us for the foreseeable future!

* Refilled the gas tank at the cash-or-debit-only station, which is reliably cheaper by .15c/gallon
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:02:06 PM by jengod »

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11606 on: June 05, 2018, 02:01:15 AM »
Walked to work. Will walk back again this afternoon.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11607 on: June 07, 2018, 03:44:58 PM »
Entered a contest to win tickets instead of buying tix to a concert I want to see... and I won! Again. I think this is the 5th or 6th time I've won tickets in the last 6 months. I must be the only one entering these things.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11608 on: June 07, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »
Saved $18 on a flight through a combination of buying discounted gift cards & a rebate

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #11609 on: June 07, 2018, 08:34:40 PM »
Not a very frugal month or so with a move to a new state and whatnot.  Here I am, back again though!

-- Working on learning good iphone photography skills and editing tricks.  Want to be able to take shots of my art for the website without having to buy anything fancy right away.  We will see how it turns out....
-- Found a free website theme that I liked rather than paying for one
-- Walked the dogs around the neighborhood with a friend.  Mine are smiley and friendly looking, so they always get spoiled from walkers and local business owners.  They got lots of free treats and petting.
-- Went to lunch on a dog-friendly patio.  Restaurants locally are a little pricier than i am used to in our new area, but I managed to get lunch for 12.00 including tip (I tip reasonably well when I have my dogs with me....) by choosing a "smaller plate" option.  The bonus was that it was satisfying without being overfilling, and I had no leftovers to take with me on our trip to the dog park.
-- Biked 4 miles round trip in the afternoon to get to the post office to mail a birthday gift for the niece.  Working hard to avoid gas prices and bus costs. 
-- Made baked chicken legs for dinner with frozen veggies.  Easy and cheap. 
-- Popcorn for an evening snack.  Filling and cheap on the stove!

middo

• Bristles
  • Learning.
« Reply #11610 on: June 08, 2018, 01:01:41 AM »
A convoluted savings today. We are having a holiday interstate in a few weeks time to watch our daughter play state representative  sport.  We are doing it cheap by camping, even though it will be midwinter.  But - our 25 year old cheap sleeping bags will not be up to the task.  So after much agonising, we fou d a couple we like that can be zipped together, and rated down to -12 degrees Celsius.  $180 each on special, but a good investment for another 20 years or so.

I went to thw shop to look more closely at them, and perfect.  When I enquired about price, having already checked it online, I was quoted half price.

Two sleeping bags purchased immediately and a $180 savings made.  Note to self, always ask for the price.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11611 on: June 08, 2018, 01:53:02 AM »
Got a free lunch yesterday, when visiting another company. I was smart enough not to bring my own sandwiches, as I had anticipated it.

Walked to work.

Took home some leftover kiwis from work. And as today is Friday, I will look if there is some more fruit left over at the end of the day that I can take home.
In the past few weeks I have been eating jam on my bread, made with plums or kiwis that I took home from work. It is not a lot of work making this jam.

I have also been eating self-picked stinging nettle at home, together with spinach (the frozen type from the store).

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11612 on: June 08, 2018, 03:57:52 AM »
Okay Linda_Norway, what is self picked stinging nettle? Sounds dangerous to eat. Reminds me of a cactus! LOL!

I am from USA, never heard of it!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11613 on: June 08, 2018, 04:01:46 AM »
Okay Linda_Norway, what is self picked stinging nettle? Sounds dangerous to eat. Reminds me of a cactus! LOL!

Stinging nettle is the Google translation of a plant that Wikipedia calles Urtica.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urtica

Green plant with stinging leaves. The stinging disappears when the leaves are cooked. The plant is nutritious and is edible. Garden lovers and hikers with shorts hate it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 04:34:04 AM by Linda_Norway »

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11614 on: June 08, 2018, 04:08:51 AM »
I read the wiki article.

Not sure I would try it! Is this something that people typically eat in Norway?

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #11615 on: June 08, 2018, 05:33:05 AM »

Stinging nettle is the Google translation of a plant that Wikipedia calles Urtica.

Green plant with stinging leaves. The stinging disappears when the leaves are cooked. The plant is nutritious and is edible. Garden lovers and hikers with shorts hate it.

Yep, we call it stinging nettle here in the US.  I've never cooked it myself, but several of my friends have and it's quite good!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11616 on: June 08, 2018, 06:24:59 AM »

Yep, we call it stinging nettle here in the US.  I've never cooked it myself, but several of my friends have and it's quite good!

No, Norwegians do not typically eat it. I think most don't. Only those who are interested in eating wild plants. And some restaurants serve it as an exotic dish. Soup made of stinging nettle is quite well known.

As a child, living in the Netherlands, we very often ate cheese with stinging nettle. Something like this:
https://www.streeckhuys.nl/webshop/boeren-brandnetel-kaas/

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11617 on: June 08, 2018, 08:14:27 AM »
-Found a carpool for a birthday party, so I will only need to drive one way, saving on gas (and, time, which is the goal)
-While buying a gift card for said birthday, I noticed that the store was having a Home Depot gift card offer. We're in the process of doing a bunch of house projects, so I did the max. Bought $300 in Home Depot gift cards & earned a $90 Starbucks gift card.
-Used a hotel freebie for 2 free nights on an impromptu adult vacation

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11618 on: June 08, 2018, 08:36:54 AM »
Knocked down two interior walls, instead of paying the contractor to do it for us. We'll use the weekend to dig out the foundation our self as well. Then all the contractor has to do is place to large metal beams, the new doors and a small roof.

Vibrissae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11619 on: June 09, 2018, 07:15:27 AM »
Using coupons and sale prices, bought two bottles of vitamins and two Cokes for the normal price of one bottle of vitamins.

*tiny facepunch for the Cokes

Also--you guys, I think this is the first week *ever* that I've had spending-allowance money left over at the end of the week. Usually I'm running a deficit at the end of the month. Yay! Tiny steps!

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11620 on: June 09, 2018, 07:45:39 AM »

No, Norwegians do not typically eat it. I think most don't. Only those who are interested in eating wild plants. And some restaurants serve it as an exotic dish. Soup made of stinging nettle is quite well known.

As a child, living in the Netherlands, we very often ate cheese with stinging nettle. Something like this:

Nice one!! I never realized stinging nettle would be the English name. I love it as a tea.

One plant I've been collecting recently is elderflower - very yummy to make juice/sirup with :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11621 on: June 09, 2018, 08:50:50 AM »
-My previously reported husband saving our heat pump wasn't the whole problem. (He did fix a major thing, though). But, we were able to get a family friend out, and he gave us the friends and family price for the coolant and work. Ended up being $500 for a fix that would have easily been $1500 without. It should buy us a couple years with our current system, and then we'll replace the whole unit.
-Trying to switch back to dairy half and half for my coffee, after using non dairy products for a while. We'll see what my gut thinks of the change, but the price difference is huge, and my stomach won't handle black coffee.
-Instead of using pricey dog treats to train our puppy, we've just been cooking up chicken. It's easier for her to eat, anyway.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11622 on: June 09, 2018, 03:29:59 PM »
way to go @Vibrissae !! Baby steps, for the win

For today:
-Cleaned our house
-Made snacks for four hungry middle school boys with things from the freezer
-Emailed a camp about a $20 discount I didn't receive
-Posted a bunch of stuff on our neighborhood Facebook swap
-Offered friends all of our Boy Scouts gear for free. Doesn't save us money, but hopefully will save them some money

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11623 on: June 09, 2018, 04:38:25 PM »
Didn't go anywhere or buy anything today,

Worked outside for several hours, moving rubble from our house demo.  Money saved from doing all this work ourselves + fresh air and lots of exercise = double win.   

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11624 on: June 09, 2018, 06:36:41 PM »
Daughter and I installed our new water softener together. It went so well, we also were able to install our new dishwasher as well. We bought the same brand again, so I will be pulling everything I can off the old one to keep as spares for the new one. Hopefully, I won't need any of them for a long time :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11625 on: June 09, 2018, 07:48:07 PM »
way to go @Vibrissae !! Baby steps, for the win

For today:
-Cleaned our house
-Made snacks for four hungry middle school boys with things from the freezer
-Emailed a camp about a $20 discount I didn't receive
-Posted a bunch of stuff on our neighborhood Facebook swap
-Offered friends all of our Boy Scouts gear for free. Doesn't save us money, but hopefully will save them some money

Also picked 2 cucumber & 4 strawberries from the garden. Love growing our own food.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11626 on: June 10, 2018, 02:39:26 AM »

Nice one!! I never realized stinging nettle would be the English name. I love it as a tea.

One plant I've been collecting recently is elderflower - very yummy to make juice/sirup with :)

I have a hippie relative who lives somewhere in the countryside and we always used to collect nettles from her back garden for soup. It must be nice living in Norway and being able to pick all kinds of plants. I was raised on a small farm and I know about lots of edible plants, but when I see them I'm often afraid about pollution. I visited an old convent yesterday and had a walk in its herb garden and they have "weeds" like nettles and dandelion for medical and kitchen purposes, which was nice to see.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11627 on: June 10, 2018, 12:01:06 PM »
We picked a small bowl of straw berries fom our garden. There have been south European temperatures here for 6 weeks or so, like 28C on average each day, so the strawberries are ripe very early.

The rain is supposed to come tonight and tomorrow and I long for it. Who would have thought that?

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11628 on: June 10, 2018, 01:39:52 PM »
Went to collect some mail from our old address and visited parents-in-law by bike instead of taking the car.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11629 on: June 10, 2018, 02:17:17 PM »
-My previously reported husband saving our heat pump wasn't the whole problem. (He did fix a major thing, though). But, we were able to get a family friend out, and he gave us the friends and family price for the coolant and work. Ended up being $500 for a fix that would have easily been $1500 without. It should buy us a couple years with our current system, and then we'll replace the whole unit.
-Trying to switch back to dairy half and half for my coffee, after using non dairy products for a while. We'll see what my gut thinks of the change, but the price difference is huge, and my stomach won't handle black coffee.
-Instead of using pricey dog treats to train our puppy, we've just been cooking up chicken. It's easier for her to eat, anyway.

Try making cold brew coffee.  It's way less acidic than regular coffee so you might not need a creamer to tame it for your stomach.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11630 on: June 10, 2018, 05:22:31 PM »

Try making cold brew coffee.  It's way less acidic than regular coffee so you might not need a creamer to tame it for your stomach.

Also, rice milk is dead easy to make and is cheaper than dairy milk when homemade: https://zerowastechef.com/2014/06/04/no-cook-rice-milk/

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11631 on: June 10, 2018, 09:21:18 PM »

I do make cold brew, but it takes an obscene amount of grounds.

Also, rice milk is dead easy to make and is cheaper than dairy milk when homemade: https://zerowastechef.com/2014/06/04/no-cook-rice-milk/

Creamers tend to be way thicker than milks are, and stabilized so they don't split when they hit hot liquid.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #11632 on: June 10, 2018, 09:32:32 PM »
Hubby let me cut his hair!  We were in a rush because he wanted it cut before church, so I haven't cleaned up the neck yet, but a quick run over with a razor and a #1 guard was fast and doesn't look any different than the buzzes that he typically pays for....

He seems open to it being a regular thing.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #11633 on: June 10, 2018, 09:31:44 PM »
Hubby let me cut his hair!  We were in a rush because he wanted it cut before church, so I haven't cleaned up the neck yet, but a quick run over with a razor and a #1 guard was fast and doesn't look any different than the buzzes that he typically pays for....

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11634 on: June 11, 2018, 08:00:02 AM »
-Magically had $.99 saltines on hand for a bout with the flu yesterday
-Got a $10 credit for a camp, after I was charged the wrong amount
-Sold the kids old Pokemon cards/accessories on a local family swap. Giving them the money for an upcoming vacation, but all of the stuff is out of my house!

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #11635 on: June 11, 2018, 08:07:35 AM »
i resisted a latte. $5.50 saved.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11636 on: June 11, 2018, 01:08:59 PM »

I have been cutting my hubby's hair for almost 25 years. The electric razor cuts the hair, but I always need to cut around the ears with sissors. And I do the neck with a sharp razor blade and shaving gel.
We are on our third electric razor device. Still saving lots of money over the years. I have also let my hubby cut my own hair, with sissors.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11637 on: June 11, 2018, 03:07:34 PM »
-My preferred airline has a price matching offer. I regularly put in our flights to see if the price has dropped. Today I saved $52 by price matching
-Listed sports equipment the kids don't use on our neighborhood swap
-Leftovers for dinner
-Hit the $500 gas savings milestone on our electric car. (Don't pay for charging - we get free charging at work)

Lichen

• Bristles
  • We've got movie sign!
« Reply #11638 on: June 11, 2018, 04:09:32 PM »
It is MsL's birthday is today, but we are spreading it over three days and also trying to celebrate in the spirit of the nonconsumer advocate's birthday day of adventures:
-Yesterday she and I went on a hike and did some geocaching with a group of friends. Afterward, we cashed in an $8 birthday coupon from a local pub that was for an appetizer and a pitcher for the two of us. (Cost: $10 including tip)

-Today we are making a fancy dinner at home for our family of four. Steak fajitas (tofu fajitas for me and eldest boy) and garlic roasted asparagus. Plus, a store bought birthday cake because I just can't emulate the extra sugary frosting she adores so much! (Cost: $18)

-Tomorrow three of the four of us are going kayaking, then we are stopping for after kayak treats using MsL's birthday freebies from the mall food court -- she has two different coffee freebies, a root beer float, a cinnamon roll, a scoop of ice cream, and a cupcake coming her way. Plenty to share three ways ;) (Cost: Just gas, since we are only using no purchase necessary birthday coupons and already own the kayaks).

Overall, this was much less expensive than the usual family dinner out + obligatory gift, and a lot more enjoyable than a short 2 hour dinner celebration.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11639 on: June 11, 2018, 04:12:14 PM »
@Lichen - sounds like a fabulous birthday to me! And, my husband buys me cupcakes 2x/year. That, and a nice bottle of champagne is all I want for a birthday (and, Mother's Day). I try to avoid sweets, but there is an incredible bakery near us, and I get a few cupcakes, and then go back to my healthier ways.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11640 on: June 12, 2018, 05:14:14 AM »
@Lichen -- You're a hero!  What a fabulous birthday celebration.  Love the three day aspect.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11641 on: June 12, 2018, 05:49:21 AM »
On Sunday we went to see the new house of a friend and instead of going out for lunch we all brought something to have a beach-picknick. Friend and me still went out for dinner though, so savings were kinda lost there as we probably wouldn't have done that if we'd been out for lunch.

Also got cheap train tickets that allow me to have 3x round trip travel all throughout the country for 12 each time!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11642 on: June 12, 2018, 07:42:48 AM »
Walked to work and will walk back very soon.

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11643 on: June 12, 2018, 08:24:47 AM »
- Returned a wicker wastebasket and lampshade to TJ Maxx without browsing the store.
- Wicker basket was replaced by me wrapping sisal rope around our old and ugly wastebasket. Glue and rope were already on hand from previous projects and it was a calm way to spend a couple hours.
- Revamped our front porch by shopping the house. Replaced the 2 big bulky chairs we had up front with the smaller bistro set (a wedding gift) that was in the garage. Pulled throw pillows off the back patio (originally bought for $5 each!) to add in some colour.
- The 2 chairs will either be repurposed around our free firepit or listed for sale.

Arbitrage

• Stubble
« Reply #11644 on: June 12, 2018, 04:52:05 PM »
Yesterday: found a rip in one of my nice work shirts (custom fit; I have a body type that is far from what any manufacturer would ever mass-produce).  My first thought was, "darn, now I have to buy a $60 replacement."  However, I considered that the tear is in a fairly inconspicuous location on a sleeve, and MIL is handy with a sewing machine.  We'll see how it turns out, but at least for now I haven't bought a new shirt. 

Also fought the urge successfully, again, to grab some quick & easy food out for dinner, and scrounged for what we had in the kitchen.  Changing this habit has saved us about $150/month for the past couple of months.  We weren't big spenders on food out, but it has still added up to a substantial monthly savings.  If I could get my wife to kick her unfortunate, newfound lunch habit of eating out, it would save a similar amount or even more.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11645 on: June 12, 2018, 05:03:53 PM »
-Trying to use up some 2-3 year old seeds. Trying to be clever about it- I'll harvest greens early as baby greens for salads, before the beans get too tall and it gets too hot. The radishes should be out before the tomatillos cover that area, etc. 2-3 year old seeds don't have very good germination rates, but I already paid for the seeds, have the soil, and water those beds. May as well try for some free food!

-Costco had Ranier cherries for $5.50/lb. Even though I *really* wanted some, strawberries were $1.50/lb. Strawberries it is. I'll go out later this week and help me mom and her neighbor harvest some cherries. Not Raniers, but free.

-Giving up drinking again for a couple months for my second IVF cycle. Admittedly, saving like $100 when you're spending $17k feels like nothing, but it adds up! And then obviously the health considerations as well.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11646 on: June 12, 2018, 05:51:25 PM »
Yesterday: found a rip in one of my nice work shirts (custom fit; I have a body type that is far from what any manufacturer would ever mass-produce).  My first thought was, "darn, now I have to buy a $60 replacement."  However, I considered that the tear is in a fairly inconspicuous location on a sleeve, and MIL is handy with a sewing machine.  We'll see how it turns out, but at least for now I haven't bought a new shirt. 

Also fought the urge successfully, again, to grab some quick & easy food out for dinner, and scrounged for what we had in the kitchen.  Changing this habit has saved us about $150/month for the past couple of months.  We weren't big spenders on food out, but it has still added up to a substantial monthly savings.  If I could get my wife to kick her unfortunate, newfound lunch habit of eating out, it would save a similar amount or even more.

Good on MIL fixing your shirt. I hope it turns out great! If it were a female shirt I might suggest a sew on applique to cover over the rip. I worked for this company who gave us all fleece jackets with the company name on the left upper shoulder. I got laid off and was a bitter biach to say the least. I liked the jacket a lot but was NOT going to wear it since I got laid off! Screw them! So, I bought this American Flag applique and sewed it over the company name! Hahaha, I have been wearing it since 2011!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11647 on: June 12, 2018, 08:30:46 PM »
-Repurposed a dinner leftover that none of us really loved, and turned it into something better with a little creativity.
-Standard stuff: drove electric car, lunch & breakfasts for free at work
-Bonus. Didn't know the kids camp this week came with lunches, so free lunches for the kids as well!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11648 on: June 13, 2018, 12:15:19 AM »
Walked to work and will walk back again in the afternoon.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11649 on: June 13, 2018, 11:14:55 AM »
Had a day out with my grandma for her birthday!

- Bus day ticket to her town (6)
- Simple lunch at grandma's place
- Museum tickets for both of us (12)
- Free coffee and tea in the museum as a way to apologize for some maintenance work they were doing
- Had a nice long walk around town together
- Had an ice cream (4, but her treat, she refused to let me pay)
- Ended the day with a cup of homemade soup.

Then she called the entire family in the evening to tell how much fun we had, and she later told me she couldn't sleep from the excitement that night. That's 18 extremely well spent :)

I am working a LOT of overtime this week and when I get home for work I drink a cup of tea, check my e-mail etc, and then go to bed really early. There is 0 energy for cooking or preparing food and we don't have a cafetaria at work, so I basically bring a whole bag of grocery store food every day. Still, I'm trying to get my food as healthy & cheaply as I can. I have brought a few ready-made salads 35% off, I bring a lot of fruit, yoghurt, knackebrod. I try to resist the kind of sugary treats I feel I "deserve" for working so hard. The good news is that I'll earn 250 in overtime this week alone. So even if I spend 10 or 20 more on food than I normally would, I still end up ahead.