Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3292611 times)

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #11250 on: March 29, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »
They left the coffee voucher! #winning My dad had his wallet stolen on a trip to Europe and someone found it, turned it in, and it was mailed back to him weeks later. All the money gone and credit cards cancelled, but like you said it's very nice not to have to get all those new cards.

This week I'm trying to go out and see a concert every night without paying money. So far I've seen a big all star jazz concert, a string quartet, a brass band, a theremin virtuoso, and as a bonus got a free ginger ale (and a high five from the bartender). Tonight I have a free pass to see a guitar player I like premiere his new album at 7, and then I won tickets to go to a fancy jazz club with a friend at 9:30.

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11251 on: March 29, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »
- Did not have leftovers last night from chinese takeout (bad, Marcela, bad!) to take to work. Grabbed turkey and bread and made myself a sandwich instead of giving in to the impulse to continue to eat out.
- Requested library books to be brought to my library instead of buying them or driving to the far library to pick them up.
- Reading books on prime reading for the Read Harder challenge instead of buying new ones (This is a theme for me)
- Last weekend we built a garden bed out of wood we already had from the hurricanes. Borrowed a neighbor's saw instead of buying one ourselves. This morning I saw the first sprouts pop up. I'm looking forward to fresh veggies from the garden this summer.
- Got my passport photos done at Sam's club instead of Walgreens. $11 saved!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11252 on: March 30, 2018, 01:58:11 AM »
We are having a week holiday and are drinking little alcohol compared to what we usually do. DH managed to hurt his rib and is taking painkillers. I don't feel like drinking alone in front of him.

Lichen

• Bristles
  • We've got movie sign!
« Reply #11253 on: March 30, 2018, 09:17:08 AM »
Spent the last couple of days completely off-grid with Boy2 -- no cell reception, even! Thus, no way to spend money unless we wanted to hike  to a bait shop that may or may not have been closed for the season.

After years of amassing gear from mainly second-hand sources, we didn't have to purchase a single thing for this trip. I was a bit worried that we wouldn't have a right-size pack for a 13 year old who definitely needed to upgrade from his "little kid" pack, but Boy1 found his old pack at the bottom of his closet, in relatively good repair, and passed it on. Yay!

DW and Boy1 stayed home, but it appears they weren't tempted to go out and spend, either. Instead, they were content to eat the contents of the fridge.

Was tempted to order in food last night, but instead made pizzas on some drying out pita breads left over from the campout.

Today I'm picking up a library movie and my Friday Freebies at Fred Meyer, as well as my Monopoly freebies at Safeway. I'll make roasted veggie and tofu faux-Subway subs as a movie night treat, using the free hot dog buns I won at Safeway (we don't eat hotdogs, so yay, sub rolls!)

better late

• Stubble
« Reply #11254 on: March 30, 2018, 10:04:59 AM »
stuck on heel taps on several pairs of shoes, and polished and blackened up the heels for a few.
I'll end up taking a few pairs to the cobbler, but this will keep the heels intact until I can get there.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11255 on: March 30, 2018, 10:25:51 AM »
-Have been eating leftovers all week. Had a crazy insane day yesterday (husband traveling, work crisis, kids on my own) & ate nachos for dinner. Not healthy, but avoided takeout. I made kids a healthier option, and we all had fruit. You know, the good old fruit/nacho dinner combo.
-Sold a pair of pants for $5 on eBay, and 5 books for $2 through local neighborhood group. Happy to get both out of the house.
-Discovered our solar isn't getting credited to our energy bill. Called & the company is sorting.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11256 on: March 30, 2018, 10:42:26 AM »
Switched phone service companies. Paying €2.50 a month now for 250 MB internet and 125 minutes of calling :). Previous package had no internet while being more expensive.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11257 on: March 31, 2018, 04:30:19 AM »
I talked myself off a purchasing ledge. I went out to get a gift for my sisters bday- having done that, I saw something super cute I wanted to get for my niece, to put with the Easter egg I got her. But I realised that to be fair, I'd have to get something for my two other niece/nephew. I spent 10 mins finding something to buy for each, got to the massive checkout line and realised that I was being silly, I'd got them each an egg already (plus they have parents/gparents and two other aunts each to buy them Easter treats too) and theylikely didn't need more plastic crap toys filling their houses. So I put it all down and left.

LilMissMinimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11258 on: April 02, 2018, 12:00:17 PM »
Heading to LA tomorrow night and working in the office today + tomorrow (I work from home mostly). Instead of buying lunch downtown, I made a triple batch of peanut noodles last night for dinner with enough leftovers for two lunches to bring in.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11259 on: April 02, 2018, 01:13:48 PM »
May I ask how do you make peanut noodles. I am starving right now and wish I had a big bowl of it right now...drool!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11260 on: April 02, 2018, 01:41:55 PM »
-Kept Easter spending super in check. Bought cute bunny pasta, and had that with meatballs. Also gave the kids a shared Easter bag of fun lunch snacks. They don't normally have a lot of treats, so they were thrilled.
-Made cookies for my older son's school, as he'd asked to buy a contribution for a party they are having.
-Made a casserole to have for two dinners this week, using up stuff we had on hand.

LilMissMinimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11261 on: April 02, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »
May I ask how do you make peanut noodles. I am starving right now and wish I had a big bowl of it right now...drool!

http://inpursuitofmore.com/2013/01/24/recipe-peanut-sauce-noodle-bowl/

Here ya go! It's my "Cheap Eats" recipe because I almost always have the ingredients to make it in the house already. I add a teaspoon of Sriracha to the sauce (trust me on this one!) and top with some sliced cucumber + red pepper. This recipe makes a lot of sauce, cutting it in half yields 3-4 servings. Bon appetit!

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11262 on: April 02, 2018, 02:18:39 PM »
Thanks! I had to have some peanut butter and crackers after you mentioned peanut butter noodles!

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11263 on: April 02, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »
Made baked ziti for dinner plus this week's lunches. Did a couple lessons from a free language course from Coursera.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11264 on: April 03, 2018, 01:36:11 AM »
*made a double batch of vegan rice pudding to have in the fridge for the week

*had a smoothie using up various bits of fruit and some dried out dates

*have turned off radiant heat even though its still kind of cold out at night - extra blankets and sweaters to sleep

*reading online for frugal motivation

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11265 on: April 03, 2018, 03:46:10 AM »
After eating at the cafeteria at work for a couple of days before the Easter holiday (first time in 2018), I have again brought my own lunch to work. and will do so all the days that I don't forget it.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11266 on: April 03, 2018, 05:09:33 AM »
I made our new favorite frugal dinner in the instant pot last night - chicken taco rice. It makes a huge portion so DH is taking some for lunch and I’ll use the rest as filling for stuffed peppers later this week.

I also made homemade iced tea and iced coffee yesterday.

Bought my husband’s protein powder in the big tub using Amazon subscribe and save. I don’t love Amazon but it’s the cheapest way to get it by far.

Reading lots of library books and ebooks.

Today’s toddler entertainment will include taking a walk to watch construction equipment, starting seeds for our garden, baking PB&J breakfast bars, and possibly library storytime.

MatthewK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11267 on: April 03, 2018, 05:54:05 AM »
Technically did this yesterday.....was going to rent a tiller again to till up our tiny second year garden. Decided to turn it over with a shovel and rake instead. Great workout, and didn't have the hassel of picking up/ dropping off and wrestling with a tiller getting it in and out of the mini van. Also didn't have to inhale the stinky assed exhaust of the machine.....muscle over motor for the win!!!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11268 on: April 03, 2018, 12:02:57 PM »
Today I ordered a new insurance for the house and the furniture. Saving approx 100 USD a year for tye same coverage.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11269 on: April 03, 2018, 01:52:41 PM »
I decided to take an extra vacation day (I have plenty) and fly back a day later, saving €25 on the flight. I'll be staying with a friend, so no further extra costs. Now I just have to tell my boss that my "long weekend away" has basically become a full week.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11270 on: April 03, 2018, 02:02:44 PM »
Did a 1500 mile road trip to visit friends over the holiday weekend, and did not eat out once.  We hit grocery stores and ate out of the cooler.  The food is better in every way, and we saved oodles of money.  Double score!

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11271 on: April 03, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »
Not really saving money as much as scoring a good deal:
Picked up a midcentury design coffee table for free. I've been admiring similar models on Marktplaats (local Craigslist) for a while, but people easily ask 100 euros or more for a vintage piece which is just not worth it to me. Our now-former table was on the list to eventually be upgraded, so this was a really timely find.
I''ll give away our former coffee table for free, to keep the Karma going.

Line drying was easy today (sunshine, wind). Made a new batch of DIY detergent. Put the redundant very big houseplant's pot on Marktplaats.

Made spanakopita with spinach + weeds from the allotment. Ground elder is a handy parsly substitute.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11272 on: April 03, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »
Saved $200/6 months by switching auto insurance companies again. I think I was a year or so late getting around to it this time. I really need to remember to shop around more often.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11273 on: April 03, 2018, 05:24:37 PM »
Took my lunch to work like every day this year so far. 

TheWifeHalf

• Bristles
« Reply #11274 on: April 03, 2018, 05:29:07 PM »
We live in an area with low property taxes, but we have to buy our garbage pick up.  My husband called the company we've been using (600/year, 3-4 bags) and explained the kids are gone, he's a senior, can they do better.
Now it's 1-2 bags a week, 74/year

Lichen

• Bristles
  • We've got movie sign!
« Reply #11275 on: April 04, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
Yesterday was my birthday, so these are the birthday savings:

- Boy2 took me camping last week (ok, I drove....) as my gift. He even handled tent setup, fire starting/tending, and meal prep.

- DW took me out to dinner at a pub I like. We went for happy hour for a single half-price local brew each (Vanilla bourbon stout, mmm!) and we split a vegan pizza to bring down the cost. She had also mapped out a geocache* route through the area so we went on a treasure hunt for a couple of hours afterward. Early night, since I'm back in class.

- Boy1 is taking me on a free wildflower hike that a local conservation group is putting on this Saturday as my gift. He says he will pack the picnic lunch so I don't have to ;)

- Handmade cards <3 <3 <3

*Geocaching is our new obsession - it replaced our Saturday restaurant and pub dates! If you don't know what it is, look it up because it's tons of free fun and available worldwide. You basically use your GPS (or phone GPS) to find cache's other users hide, then sign the log and sometimes trade swag if you want. In our area there are also lots of free to no cost group events. You can spend money on it -- there is a premium service -- but thus far we haven't felt the need. A lot of Little Free Library owners are in on the game and have cache's in their library, so we have been taking evening walks to different libraries and leaving/taking books while also logging cache's :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11276 on: April 04, 2018, 11:01:12 AM »
-Picked up $.02 on the ground
-Drove electric car to/from work
-Leftovers for dinner

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11277 on: April 04, 2018, 11:21:23 AM »
Packed lunches

Drank free coffee at work

And this past weekend
- spent the weekend swapping rooms with the kids
- we purged as we did this
- this means that I no longer feel the intense need to add space to the house (we live in a 2BR, 1BA, 1146 sf house). 

The boys have the master now.  So there is room for a desk for homework.  We have the tiny 2nd bedroom. Room for the bed, a dresser, and a filing cabinet.  We really don't need more than that.

Easye418

• Bristles
« Reply #11278 on: April 04, 2018, 01:52:40 PM »
I haven't been on the website it a pretty long time so I have a few things to share:

Moved my cell phone service from ATT to Cricket Wireless:  $143 a month to $102 a month.

Moved my TV service from Dish Network to Sling TV: $100 a month to $27 a month.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11279 on: April 04, 2018, 02:58:14 PM »
Save money where you can, even if the spending sucks:
-Ordering my IVF meds direct from Israel, rather than using a US intermediary. This is half the cost, although a bit more work to do. Still, my clinic has done it before, and made it super easy.
-Related, the nurse mentioned they have discount codes for the ones I have to buy domestically. 20% off the whole order of one of the meds. Woop woop. I totally picked the mustachian clinic, the other clinic I looked at didn't do that! =P

So yeah, I'm *spending* like $18k, but at least I saved a couple grand ;)

Non-IVF:
-Neighbor offered onions, since he started too many. I had open space in the garden plan (cucumbers didn't like the spot last year), so now we have a couple rows of onion transplants in.
-Different neighbor wanted a stationary bike out of his garage. We happily accepted. It's good to add a non jump roping cardio option to our home gym! He also threw in a big ol venison steak, since Husband helped him move some stuff to get the bike out. (Guy just had knee and back surgery in the past year... ouch!)

zachaloo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11280 on: April 05, 2018, 07:53:54 PM »
I switched from Sprint postpaid to MintSIM. Saving roughly $92/mo.

I dumped collision and comprehensive coverage on my car, saving about $45/mo.

I ate leftovers for lunch and dinner. Big day for me.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #11281 on: April 06, 2018, 07:52:57 AM »
Took my lunch to work. Ordered snacks in bulk online for our upcoming road trip.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:43:18 AM by abhe8 »

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11282 on: April 06, 2018, 01:59:27 PM »
Took home the bunch of leftover apples from work. Made an apple cake of the solid apples and the rest has been cooked and can be used as vegetables later.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11283 on: April 06, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
-Made breakfast/lunch out of some random fridge items
-Worked from home today, & while the no free food is a downside, my husband then can drive the electric car for free
-We scrapped a date night (not due to money, but I just don't feel great) & will be saving that money for another time

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11284 on: April 06, 2018, 09:03:47 PM »
Made whole-wheat waffles using leftover sourdough starter (among other ingredients). Froze them for easy toaster breakfast.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #11285 on: April 07, 2018, 11:03:02 AM »
I am super excited about this one. This week our Habitat for Humanity ReStore has been having a sale - all books for 5 cents, all cans of paint for 25 cents. I got 3 almost-full cans of paint in the exact shade of green I wanted for 75 cents. We'll use this to paint baby #2's room. I let my son go crazy on the books, and we left with 20 for a grand total of $1. Including tax, I spent less than $2.50.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #11286 on: April 07, 2018, 11:08:26 AM »
I am super excited about this one. This week our Habitat for Humanity ReStore has been having a sale - all books for 5 cents, all cans of paint for 25 cents. I got 3 almost-full cans of paint in the exact shade of green I wanted for 75 cents. We'll use this to paint baby #2's room. I let my son go crazy on the books, and we left with 20 for a grand total of $1. Including tax, I spent less than $2.50.
I love Habitat ReStores!  Great finds you got there!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11287 on: April 07, 2018, 11:29:56 AM »
We’re on a short weekend trip for a family member’s athletic event. Hotel was paid for with points, and I packed breakfast and snacks. I brought lots and was able to share when the hotel breakfast wasn’t open before we all needed to leave this morning.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11288 on: April 07, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »
-Sold a gift card on cardpool. It was a Macy's card left over from our wedding (going on 3 years ago... oops). I kept thinking we'd use it for some kitchen item or gift or something that would come up, but I literally *never* found an occasion where it wasn't staggeringly cheaper to get the item elsewhere. So, $50 GC that was sitting in a drawer to $41 on our amazon account. Fine by me. Just in time to replace some medications, so it's not going to "junk spending" either.
-Traffic was bad enough around a plant sale that we passed up going. We didn't need anything anyway, and need to not spend money right now.
-Bulk bins were 20% off today only at the store, so we stocked up on a couple items.
-Awesome weather today (in spite of some high winds). Opened up the house and turned off the climate control.
-Set up subscribe and save through the manufacturer of one of my prescribed supplements. It's crazy how much cheaper I've been able to get them from when I first started taking it. From like $75+/month, now I'm down to $33/month. It pays to shop around, and even when you've found a good deal, keep shopping around!
-Have some MASSIVE upcoming expenses, so I'm taking out a travel CC to get the sign up bonus. Have to unfreeze my credit (UGH), but it'll be worth it.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #11289 on: April 07, 2018, 10:20:58 PM »
Found a new insurance broker for our home owners insurance.  For once, going local saved us over a 1,000 dollars!  Our current company was upping our cost this coming May.  We said 'no way' and shopped around for the first time in a couple years.  Shoulda tried it sooner....our new annual cost will be a couple hundred less than per year than we've been paying...and 1200 less than they wanted to up it to.

Selling off the last of the 'excess' stuff before our move.  Should get away with a 15 foot uhaul, easily, in 5 weeks.

Wanted pizza; made BLT's instead.

Picked up a penny.

Mowed and cleaned up our own yard. 

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11290 on: April 08, 2018, 02:10:00 AM »
I'm giving our bedroom a makeover this weekend.

So far we've only bought a new (cheap) mattress. The new-to-us wrought iron bed and the lamps for the night stands came from a friend. The night stands are two blown out vintage speakers - yay for living with a gear freak. I've inherited a dresser + mirror from my grandma and it's been in the shed for years. My grandfather's chair will go in the corner. I'm glad I have a place for it indoors now. I think we might have some paint leftovers for the ceiling.

I'm going to be so glad to finally have a proper bedroom (we moved in 3 years ago.....).  It can take a long time to find the right furniture for (almost) free but I love how our house turned out. It's not pinterest-worthy, but it feels like home.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11291 on: April 08, 2018, 08:48:09 AM »
-Used electric car for all errands
-took the kids to the school auction/fundraiser. Bid only on a few items I knew we would use (previously, I've bid on things without matching up dates, and we'd be unable to attend.) I'll likely make a donation with corporate match as well.
-We had no power for 9 hours unexpectedly. Discussed going out, but I have a cold & didn't feel up to it. Husband picked up a few items at Costco (food court, plus a bagged salad for me) & we ate over candlelight. It's sad, because we have solar, but when the power goes off, not only does the solar not power the house, we lose our energy credit. :-(

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #11292 on: April 08, 2018, 03:35:08 PM »
I'm giving our bedroom a makeover this weekend.

So far we've only bought a new (cheap) mattress. The new-to-us wrought iron bed and the lamps for the night stands came from a friend. The night stands are two blown out vintage speakers - yay for living with a gear freak. I've inherited a dresser + mirror from my grandma and it's been in the shed for years. My grandfather's chair will go in the corner. I'm glad I have a place for it indoors now. I think we might have some paint leftovers for the ceiling.

I'm going to be so glad to finally have a proper bedroom (we moved in 3 years ago.....).  It can take a long time to find the right furniture for (almost) free but I love how our house turned out. It's not pinterest-worthy, but it feels like home.

It sounds beautiful and very meaningful.

blinx7

• Stubble
« Reply #11293 on: April 08, 2018, 03:51:05 PM »

Nothing! 

We made food at home, rode bikes, met the neighbors, played basketball.  Kids are jumping on neighbor's trampoline.  DW is gardening.  I am waiting for my beer to cool in the freezer.

It was a great day!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11294 on: April 08, 2018, 05:36:30 PM »
We returned home from a weekend trip around midday and I immediately threw dinner in the crockpot. It felt like a treat because it’s one of our favorite soups, but it was easy and saved a trip to the grocery store before I get a chance to meal plan.

DH cut the grass with our reel mower, so no gas!

The reel mower doesn’t do a very good job of cutting off wild onions tops, so he plucked them up and brought them inside so I can cook with them. Sautéed in a quiche, maybe?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11295 on: April 08, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »
-Made all meals at home
-Found $30 on the ground!!! Will put that towards our "unfunded" 2018 goals

Kids played at the library, I cleaned the house, my husband worked outside, and then we grilled burgers for dinner. A very nice Sunday, and no extra money spent.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #11296 on: April 09, 2018, 01:20:55 AM »
Cut patches from an old pair of jeans to repair a slightly newer pair. I use Shoe Goo to stick the patch on. Works great.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11297 on: April 09, 2018, 06:33:32 AM »
Yesterday, but didn't get a chance to post.

Came home to my car making a weird thumping noise from the speakers without the car even being on or unlocked.

We figured out that water from the last storm got in my car and shorted out the amp under the seat, which was sending a signal to the speakers continuously and draining the battery. Ended up jump-starting the car and removing the amp. So far so good, no more dead battery. I'll happily drive without a radio to keep the car going.

Also found $1 in change in the process!

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11298 on: April 09, 2018, 01:35:20 PM »
1. Happy about this one: Just signed up to get $10 ea mo for saving at least $20 for the next 6 months - $60 total at the end of six months. Yes, please!
2. Yesterday, harvested a batch of swiss chard for supper - free organic food, delish.
3. Signed up for a coupon for a free eight-pack of liter bottles of some fancy new sparkling, flavored, spring water. Savings $7 or so.
Perfect for my hurricane water stash.

Now if I could just find some money on the ground:) like so many of you...

LilMissMinimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11299 on: April 09, 2018, 04:03:44 PM »
Rode the Divvy (city bike share) to work in April snow/hail. Arrived at work gross & soaking wet. The $6 I saved today on public transit goes right into my "This-Will-Be-My-Last-Winter-In-The-Midwest" moving fund.