Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2820940 times)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #11200 on: March 15, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »
I listed a few items that belong to my DH on eBay.  It motivated me to list a few items of mine since I will already have to go to the post office.  My extra items netted ~$100 with very little effort.  I also made about $150 selling 3 items for my DH. 

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #11201 on: March 15, 2018, 01:16:45 PM »
I took my recently-acquired used car to the dealership to get a couple nuisance things fixed.  So glad I didn't delay these fixes, they would not have been free in just a couple more months since I am just barely still under the original owner's warranty for these particular items (I didn't know that till I arrived).  Saved about $150. 

rbuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11202 on: March 15, 2018, 01:24:46 PM »
The front door on the house we just purchased had no threshold or weatherstripping. Thirty dollars later and I should see a big savings on our power bill.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11203 on: March 15, 2018, 04:52:46 PM »
Took lunch to work from home like every day.  Haven't purchased anything for lunch all year long so far. Come to think of it, as a family we have not eaten out even once this year either.  We're on a great streak!  We've got a birthday coming up though, so the family streak may break soon. We let the birthday girl or boy choose anything they want for dinner -- eaten out or in.

We are taking off on a road trip tomorrow.  I'll be packing a cooler and food bag so we don't have to buy any meals on the road.  If there is one thing I hate, it's buying overpriced shitty food on the road. 

Lichen

• Stubble
  • We've got movie sign!
« Reply #11204 on: March 15, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »
As I left the store last night, I noticed they charged $0.04 too much for a jug of milk (that's right, less than a nickel, an insigniicant amount). Scanning code of Practice says they have to refund up to $10 on the item if the store over charges, so I received my jug, retail value of $4.54, for $0. I once complained over a penny difference, the eye rolls made the savings even sweeter.

I was there originally for a box of Lucky Charms, for saturday's St. Patricks Day breakfast, the milk was an impulse item to make sure we had enough. I like to think I had some Irish luck getting that free jug, I'll add the savings to my pot of gold, thank you Lucky (the Leprechaun). When I watch my five year old enjoying that free milk with her cereal, it's going to make it magially delicious.

This entire post is full of win!

My grocery store savings/earnings today: Picked up a gamepiece off the ground from the Safeway monopoly game. It had the piece I needed to win $5 cash. Free money!

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11205 on: March 16, 2018, 10:28:05 AM »
Got a free bottle of iced tea at the grocery store. I don't usually drink it, but hey, it's free.

Found a few slices of bread hiding in the back of the freezer, and had them for lunch.

Did laundry and dried it indoors.

Volunteering tonight. I get paid 0,19 per km travelled, but I'm biing, so that's 3 profit as well as free coffee and cookies. And doing something useful for society of course :)

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11206 on: March 16, 2018, 11:01:14 AM »
All in one day:

My son stuck his hand into the coin return at the parking meter and pulled out $1 in nickels.  Then we went to the grocery store and he picked up 20 cents in pennies off the ground (no joke).  Then he (not me!) qualified for an in-store promotion to spill a wheel of fortune and won a $10 gift card to the supermarket.  Total haul for the day: $11.20 in free money.  I did let my son spend $5 on overpriced candy though.  Net: $6.20.

Go MiniBuildingmyFIRE!

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #11207 on: March 16, 2018, 07:04:47 PM »
Got a super deal on meat at the grocery store. They were selling 4 family-size packs of cuts of meat (one pack of beef, two packs of chicken, one pack of pork chops) for $20 (listed price by weight would have added up to $46). Baked up some of the chicken and put the rest in the freezer.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11208 on: March 16, 2018, 08:23:17 PM »
* Made homemade sourdough
* Harvested homegrown lemons for use in recipes
* Started a ginger bug
* Line-dried a load of clothes/cloth diapers before the rain came in
* Put out buckets to catch some of the rainwater that drains off our shade sail
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Reading with children pays dividends. Recommended resources for Mustachian families: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease |  The Read-Aloud Revival podcast by Sarah McKenzie | Books to Build On by E.D. Hirsch | The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11209 on: March 17, 2018, 10:18:53 AM »
First time posting here, and I want to say thank you to all the posters. I've read the entire thread over the past few months. You all are extremely motivating!

*posted some small items on FB marketplace
*went through craft supplies to return unused ones to store for credit to get what I need to finish current project
*make extra pancakes to stash in the freezer for a busy day
*hung laundry on a drying rack instead of in the washer
*made a list of errands in order to minimize driving

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11210 on: March 17, 2018, 11:55:51 AM »
We wanted to buy a new lamp in the living room that would provide me with good light when reading a paper book. We found a nice designer standing lamp on a website for second hand stuff. It looks good in our house. I will sell 4 of our old lamps second hand.

Roadrunner53

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11211 on: March 17, 2018, 12:49:47 PM »
Sold an item on ebay for $165. Unfortunately, it cost me $40 to ship it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11212 on: March 18, 2018, 02:07:57 PM »
-Made a giant batch of chicken curry to eat during the week
-Used a Starbucks gift card when out & needing a quick stop with the kids
-Ate the most random fridge leftover lunch. Sleepover breakfast leftovers from a kiddo party.
-Made granola bars for the kids lunches this week
-Already plotting how I can minimize our grocery expenses to the bare minimum when my husband is in Singapore for 10 days. He panics if we are missing any one of many types of produce, where I like to rotate & eat down everything until we shop again. Should be interesting to see what we're left with.
-Took our electric car on all errands this weekend, and will charge for free at work tomorrow.

Roadrunner53

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11213 on: March 18, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »
Made a lentil dish yesterday and ate it for breakfast yesterday and today. There is plenty more for a few more days. Then I might have to freeze what is left. Cheap, nutritious and filling! Easy too!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11214 on: March 18, 2018, 09:18:33 PM »
First time posting here, and I want to say thank you to all the posters. I've read the entire thread over the past few months. You all are extremely motivating!

*posted some small items on FB marketplace
*went through craft supplies to return unused ones to store for credit to get what I need to finish current project
*make extra pancakes to stash in the freezer for a busy day
*hung laundry on a drying rack instead of in the washer
*made a list of errands in order to minimize driving

WELCOME!!

Reading with children pays dividends. Recommended resources for Mustachian families: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease |  The Read-Aloud Revival podcast by Sarah McKenzie | Books to Build On by E.D. Hirsch | The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer

Tuskalusa

• Stubble
« Reply #11215 on: March 18, 2018, 11:54:28 PM »
Switched my cats to dry food that I can buy in bulk. Saves time and money.

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11216 on: March 19, 2018, 02:58:43 AM »
- Had overnight oats for dinner. Normally I make hot oatmeal, but I wanted some variety.
- Really cheap dinner last night: Lebanese flatbreads (5 for 50 cents fresh from the bakery) filled with fridge leftovers
- Finished sewing a new dress for spring/summer that I can wear at home and at work
- Friend who lost weight asked me if I want some work clothes that don't fit her anymore. Of course! I hate spending money on boring clothes.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11217 on: March 19, 2018, 12:32:42 PM »
Got a second library card from our nearest city after finding out that residents of our rural county are eligible to use their  library system. I now have access to a MUCH larger selection of eBooks through Overdrive as well as hard copy books. I typically have SOMETHING to drive there for at least once a week (Aldi, Target, car maintenance, doctor visit, etc.) so adding a library stop isn't that far out of the way.

DH is in the middle of replacing the cracked glass on the front of his smartphone.

This afternoon's kitchen to-do list includes baking a loaf of bread, soaking and cooking dried beans in the Instant Pot, and starting a batch of homemade yogurt with our surplus milk.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11218 on: March 19, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »
Skipped lunch, will eat it for breakfast tomorrow morning.

Ate frozen leftovers for dinner.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11219 on: March 19, 2018, 08:57:06 PM »
-Used a 10% off coupon code for a flight
-Made dinner out of leftovers
-Went through the fridge & froze a bunch of stuff we won't before it goes bad

Lichen

• Stubble
  • We've got movie sign!
« Reply #11220 on: March 19, 2018, 09:15:04 PM »
Took the kids swimming at the Y, but told them to grab snacks and drinks from home because we weren't getting anything at the cafe at the gym. (They are teens, so always hungry....)

Set up my free personal trainer appointment for tomorrow. He seemed stoked to come up with a plan to help me murder Glacier and Olympic NPS this summer. I may not survive tomorrow.... :D (I will not sign up for ongoing sessions, just going to take advantage of the freebie!)

Picked up free hamburger buns, aspirin, and a bakery bagel at Safeway. These were all from the monopoly game pieces they are handing out right now, but none were from our own grocery purchase game pieces. The spouse walks by SW on her morning and evening walk every day, and people just toss the unopened game pieces on the ground. The thing is, a lot have instant winners in them for groceries. Cleaning up garbage + free food = win

Didn't want to cook, but did it anyway. Huge pot of veggie fried rice with sriracha marinated tofu. Cleaned out a lot of fading veg from the fridge. Huge amount, will not need to cook tomorrow!

Put off actually buying any groceries. I'm trying to go two weeks living off the pantry, which will offset the cost of the refurb cell phone I will be buying soon for Boy2. (He's about to turn 13, which in our house means he gets his first cell phone.) We have the cash in savings to just buy it, but I want to try and absorb it into the normal monthly budget as a personal challenge.

middo

• Stubble
  • Learning.
« Reply #11221 on: March 19, 2018, 09:27:10 PM »
I received an email saying we had mail at the post office, so I walked down (in 40 degree Celsius heat) to collect a box my parents had sent my son for his birthday.  it was a bit awkward walking it back to work, but I survived.  Enjoying the air-conditioning now.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11222 on: March 22, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »
-Made leftovers for dinner. This means. . . we have nothing left in the fridge heading into Friday (one of my planned cooking days). Super excited about that. We also didn't have to resort to freezer meals, so that helps make that food last a bit longer.
-Tracked down $2.42 from a rebate that never processed.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11223 on: March 22, 2018, 08:17:54 PM »
* Refilled my homemade vanilla extract with cheap vodka and a vanilla bean leftover from making ice cream
* Made sourdough bread

Sixof1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11224 on: March 23, 2018, 05:07:02 AM »
It's been a challenge to be frugal these past few months, went through a huge life change with my partner leaving me (a bit unexpectedly), but am trying to pull myself out of a "you deserve this because things suck" mentality and get back on track, so:

- Tried to group errands together last night so as not to use extra gas
- Put several items back at the store because I realize I was buying them because I wanted them, not because I needed them
- Will meet a friend for coffee instead of lunch and will pack a snack so I'm not tempted today
- Already talked to friends about not spending too much when we get together Saturday, we all seem to be in a similar place on wanting to stick to some frugal fun!
Half dozen of the other

Slowly inching towards being more mustachian, one dollar at a time.

FreshPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11225 on: March 23, 2018, 06:22:27 AM »
1. Was trying to find an inexpensive makeup vanity because I don't have much room in my tiny bathroom.  I then remembered I  had one in the basement. I don't love it... but it's free.

Then I completely one-upped myself and realized that my office has a closet with a built in desk.  I removed the doors, turned on the light and have turned it into my giant vanity makeup station.  I now feel totally legit.

2. We are leaving for vacation April 4 (not saving money, but stay with me...) and instead of grocery shopping this week we will have meals made from whatever I have in my pantry... shit's about to get weird.

Edited to add:
3. We paid off the car.  Which isn't saving money TODAY... but will next month. :-)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:51:20 AM by M5C2K7S2013 »

Roadrunner53

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11226 on: March 23, 2018, 06:48:42 AM »
Spray paint is awesome! I had this half gallon clay type jug that was painted a teal color and the paint was faded, had fine lines in it and was just ugly but it was Mom's and she is no longer with me. I almost got rid of it but then I thought about spray paint. I kind of liked the old color so I went to Home Depot and couldn't find a similar color. Another trip to Walmart and I found the right color. It is such a deep teal and is glossy too! I just love it. To me it looks like it is new! I have a brass floor lamp that is showing some pitting and Hub will paint that for me too as soon as the weather warms up. I have to find some spray paint for that too. I was going to try to find brass spray paint but I am open for other colors too. Not sure what right now! any suggestions? The floor lamp has a glass table top too. Anyone spray painted glass?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11227 on: March 23, 2018, 07:47:39 AM »
@Sixof1 - I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you're employing good self care: sleeping, eating well, and getting exercise, as well as spending time with friends & family who can support you.

Lichen

• Stubble
  • We've got movie sign!
« Reply #11228 on: March 23, 2018, 08:49:05 AM »
@Roadrunner53 There are special spray paints for glass that give them a frosted look. You could even have fun with stencils and frost in a design, if you wanted!

My small things from the last few days:
-Took copious notes at my free personal trainer session so I could build future plans from there on my own. I have a second freebie, but I'm going to save it until I think I'm ready to level up.

-I'm finally going grocery shopping tomorrow. We actually aren't out of food, but I do need to restock some produce and bread. Will hit my goal on savings for sure.

-Ordered Boy2's phone refurbed off Ebay, from a seller with excellent ratings. It works with GoogleFi, which we are testing with this phone to see if we want to switch over, but it also works with our current carrier in case Fi doesn't work out. (Fi looks like it will be cheaper, but spouse isn't convinced yet.)

-Gave Boy1 is super trendy hair cut, at home, for free. This kid takes his hair seriously, so it blows my mind that he lets me chop at it!

-Going on a hike today with Boy2 today. Taking a lunch, only expense is gas. We're hoping to see some early wildflowers and maybe some pygmy rabbits :)

Money saving in the works:
- Putting gentle pressure on spouse to be more fluid with "date night." There are so many free/cheap cool things to do that don't happen on Saturday, like $1 beer and spoken word poetry nights on a Wednesday, or $2 suggested donation indy film showings on Thursdays. She is totally into the "Saturday is go out and have fun night" that this is taking more work than I thought it would!

- Boy 2 (and maybe Boy 1, if his friends don't offer more interesting options) and I are going camping next week, because we are sick of winter and have cabin fever bad. Planning to tent on free to use public land in the less-likely-to-get-snow area of the Columbia basin. Cheap camping food and gas should be the only cost, because we have all the gear.

lexde

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11229 on: March 23, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »
• Churned a $500.00 bank bonus which was deposited into my account this morning.
• Ate leftover rotisserie chicken for lunch instead of going out with everyone else.
• Drank water instead of soda at home.
• Did guided meditation on SimpleHabit for free.
• Did a free beginner yoga routine on Down Dog. This has multiple cost savings: (1) Free yoga class; (2) Health benefits from exercise; (3) alleviation of chronic back pain saves on the chiropractic visits I was planning on having to go to after no relief.
• Lifted at home using my own weights. Dumbbell set, bench, barbell set, pull up bar and squat rack. Everything I need.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11230 on: March 23, 2018, 12:35:37 PM »
Spray paint is awesome! I had this half gallon clay type jug that was painted a teal color and the paint was faded, had fine lines in it and was just ugly but it was Mom's and she is no longer with me. I almost got rid of it but then I thought about spray paint. I kind of liked the old color so I went to Home Depot and couldn't find a similar color. Another trip to Walmart and I found the right color. It is such a deep teal and is glossy too! I just love it. To me it looks like it is new! I have a brass floor lamp that is showing some pitting and Hub will paint that for me too as soon as the weather warms up. I have to find some spray paint for that too. I was going to try to find brass spray paint but I am open for other colors too. Not sure what right now! any suggestions? The floor lamp has a glass table top too. Anyone spray painted glass?

The tip for glass -- paint the back of the glass, where it does not get scratched, and it will look like deep glossy glass tile.  You can use any paint that will stick, even it would peel.  I have seen it done with brush painted latex (couple of coats to make it opaque) -- when you paint the back, it is protected from peeling / scratching on the surface.
I would not paint the top unless you use the etching type (like the frosted glass another person referred to).

Sixof1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11231 on: March 23, 2018, 01:34:52 PM »
@Sixof1 - I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you're employing good self care: sleeping, eating well, and getting exercise, as well as spending time with friends & family who can support you.

Thank you @MaybeBabyMustache I appreciate that! Things are really looking up now so I'm back on track :)
Half dozen of the other

Slowly inching towards being more mustachian, one dollar at a time.

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11232 on: March 23, 2018, 01:46:00 PM »
- Took advantage that my dad was visiting and had him do some very minor electrical work for us. Installed ceiling fan on back porch and moved the light fixture in the dining room. Saved at least $100 over calling a handyman.

- Built our own patio last week, instead of hiring out as my husband wanted. Bought the cheap white pavers instead of much prettier fancy ones. Discovered leveling sand under our mulched area so didn't need to buy that. $140 spent and we now get to bask in knowing we did it ourselves. Might extend it out another 2 feet for an additional cost of around $40.

- Counter-intuitively, I decided to check some stores after finding a cheap outdoor set on facebook. Found one at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $150 with $30 shipping. Already cheaper than the one I found on marketplace and I used a 20% coupon which negated the shipping charge. Plus it fits my space better.

- We wanted a fire pit to add to the space. I had given one to my sister 4 years ago as a housewarming present (get it? *badumtiss*), but she's never used it. I talked to her and she said we could have it back since they are looking to clear out their garage in getting ready to move.

- When we bought the house, I set a budget for the patio of $500 and it looks like we'll come in way below that. I've got a few other things I'm wanting to add, but will hold off until I get enough amazon gift cards to buy them (outdoor rug, lighting, new cushions).

- Dinner tonight will be simple pasta with enough leftovers for my husband to take to work tomorrow.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11233 on: March 23, 2018, 03:34:58 PM »

Thank you @MaybeBabyMustache I appreciate that! Things are really looking up now so I'm back on track :)
That's great to hear!

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11234 on: March 24, 2018, 07:02:23 AM »
Visited the inlaws yesterday, had dinner there and got a lot of free food since they're clearing out the pantry. Most of it is homemade from their own organic produce, like a large bottle of really nice red wine vinegar.

Will visit my family today. I'm having dinner at my mother's and then I'll be off to my sibling's birthday where I'm sure I'll be spoiled with nice food again. Staying over at my mum and having breakfast there. I'm taking a homemade banana bread (from very overripe leftover bananas) as a thank you.

Doing laundry and will line dry outdoors for the first time this year! We don't own a dryer, during winter I line dry indoors. It smells so much better when it has been outside.

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11235 on: March 24, 2018, 08:33:05 AM »
Made strawberry milk out of the scrapings of a jar of IKEA strawberry jam. I poured the milk directly into the jar, put the lid on, and gave it a good shake. Then I poured it into the Magic Bullet blender for a final whirl. Delicious! Now I won't feel the need to get a sweet drink out when meeting a friend later.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11236 on: March 24, 2018, 11:24:33 AM »
Made strawberry milk out of the scrapings of a jar of IKEA strawberry jam. I poured the milk directly into the jar, put the lid on, and gave it a good shake. Then I poured it into the Magic Bullet blender for a final whirl. Delicious! Now I won't feel the need to get a sweet drink out when meeting a friend later.

^^^ such a clever idea, love it! I might try that for a milkshake with ice cream.

1. Shopped at a new store and heard the announcement that they give a 10% discount if you have a military ID, yay! The checkout girl said they just started doing this. Nice!
Saved us over five dollars.
2. Next day I went to Pier I Imports and asked them too if by chance they do a military discount too - they do, but they exclude all sales items so I only got $1.12 - but hey, I am still glad I asked.
3. Mr. R. went back to the grocery store with his receipt where they overcharged him on a closeout item - 2 items rang at 1.99 and the other eight rang at .99 cents. Two bucks saved, in addition to the other eight bucks - total ten bucks.

Signed us both up for AARP (over 45 gets you in) - found a discounted membership for $12. The reason I did this is:
The daypack free gift:) - JK:)

1. Turns out that they have a rewards points program which will get you 10% off gift cards - so instead of $100 you pay only $90 for a gc. Quite useful.
Not sure yet about their travel and entertainment discounts, but I saw they had some nice movie pass options.
I'll be looking into this a bit more.

2. Meanwhile, I took their discounted for members driving course to save $180 and Mr. R. will do the same - to get 10% off his annual car insurance premium as well. Score!
Together we will save literally hundreds on our car insurance premium this way in one year alone and this is good for three years:).

Resisted the impulse to pick up more books at the library, while I returned my almost overdue books and paid a 50 cent fine for a late CD. Well, maybe I'm helping support the library that way:)
You'd think that retired people like me could manage to return their books and CDs on time:)

This is such a good thread - I keep picking up ideas to save money in so many different ways, thanks guys!

Roadrunner53

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11237 on: March 24, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »
I had placed an order at Costco and the stuff was delivered but one item ($42.99) was the wrong type. So I did a chat session and the lady arranged for a new one to be sent and also sent me a label to ship the wrong item back. I did question her on the possibility of getting a second wrong item and she poo poo'd that happening. So yesterday the new one arrives and sure enough, it was wrong again! I called them this time but before I did I see that the item is no longer in stock. So I tell the lady what happened and that they are no longer in stock. I crabbed that this will be the second time I have to make a trip to UPS to return this stuff and that I should be compensated. She puts me on hold and then tells me she will send a $25 Costco gift card to me! I was happy but had to buy the item somewhere else and it cost me $7 more. At least I got some compensation for this stupidity!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11238 on: March 24, 2018, 01:06:59 PM »

I use this "flavored water" for making my oatmeal. It uses up the bits that would go to waste of jars of cream, nut butter, yogurt, etc.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11239 on: March 24, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »
-Returned a second weather station that we really didn't need, and made $15 back
-Sold a kid's bike they've outgrown for $75.
-Kept our shopping list to (mostly) the basics. Bought myself 2 bagged salads, because my husband is traveling & I need easy & healthy options to keep my sanity in check.
-Drove electric car for all errands. Will charge for free at work on Monday.

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11240 on: March 24, 2018, 01:39:06 PM »
While I was waiting to have my vision checked, I used the shop's WiFi to download a voucher for a free vision check. Saved 25. I need fancy varifocals, so the shop will still get plenty of money from me.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #11241 on: March 24, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »
1. Planted some veggies.
2. Went to the mall to wish a student with a new job well. I kept Shopkick open and earned a bunch of points without buying anything.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11242 on: March 25, 2018, 06:12:01 AM »
Signed us both up for AARP (over 45 gets you in) - found a discounted membership for $12. The reason I did this is:
The daypack free gift:) - JK:)

1. Turns out that they have a rewards points program which will get you 10% off gift cards - so instead of $100 you pay only $90 for a gc. Quite useful.
Not sure yet about their travel and entertainment discounts, but I saw they had some nice movie pass options.
I'll be looking into this a bit more.

2. Meanwhile, I took their discounted for members driving course to save $180 and Mr. R. will do the same - to get 10% off his annual car insurance premium as well. Score!
Together we will save literally hundreds on our car insurance premium this way in one year alone and this is good for three years:).

Thank you Rosy!  This is a great tip.
Though I find it slightly depressing that I qualify, I suppose I should take the sweet with the bitter...

Lichen

• Stubble
  • We've got movie sign!
« Reply #11243 on: March 25, 2018, 10:38:58 AM »
* Went to a brewery last night and we only split a $12 flight instead of getting a full pint of each beer we wanted to try. We ate before heading out, so no food costs. Free live music at the brewery as well, so it felt like a fancy night out.

* Stopped by a thrift store and found a local rock and mineral field guide for $.50. This segues nicely with a conversation we had last night about finding low cost hobbies/entertainment -- rockhounding was one of the ideas on DW's list, and I'm always looking for an excuse to hike. We are thinking of making Saturdays picnic/adventure days instead of date nights now that the weather is nicer! (The bummer is I didn't find the field guide I was hoping to find for a class, but I did find it for $4.99 with free shipping on Amazon, so not all is lost...).

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11244 on: March 25, 2018, 12:31:23 PM »

I use this "flavored water" for making my oatmeal. It uses up the bits that would go to waste of jars of cream, nut butter, yogurt, etc.

I do this with honey. Pour some boiling water in the jar to solve the last bits and make tea out of it :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11245 on: March 25, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »
-Made french toast last night for dinner, using a baguette that I found buried in the freezer
-Popped popcorn & watched a movie with the kids. Movie was from the library
-Drove to kids soccer game in the electric car
-Used freezer meal options to feed kids + bonus kid for lunch. I ate leftovers from Friday's dinner. My favorite secret weapon in spicing up Mexican leftovers is sriracha blended into plain yogurt. Yum!
-Made extra lunch, so the kids will have quick options for packing school lunches.
-Tonight we'll have burgers from the freezer

Hula Hoop

• Bristles
« Reply #11246 on: March 25, 2018, 02:33:57 PM »
Did all cheap things today.  Older daughter went to scouts and younger daughter played with lego (most of which is my old lego from 30 years ago that my mother saved) while I cleaned the house.  Then we went down to the park to roller blade and eat the snacks I'd packed.  Dinner was fish sticks from the freezer, home made French fries and steamed veggies.

Padonak

• Stubble
« Reply #11247 on: March 25, 2018, 02:38:24 PM »
I just sat on my ass all day. read a bunch of stuff online, ate leftovers and sandwiches. $0 spent so far. That's how i save money most of the time.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11248 on: March 25, 2018, 07:47:17 PM »
We are outsourcing so much right now it is horrifying BUT I had a car-free day.

Walked to “work” and back, and then cargo-biked to get the baby. About 12,000 steps and counting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11249 on: March 25, 2018, 08:15:56 PM »
Went to the mall to wish a student with a new job well. I kept Shopkick open and earned a bunch of points without buying anything.

I love doing this! I really don't like going to the mall, so the few times I've gone lately (helping a friend pick out work clothes, buying a registry gift), I've at least gotten a ton of Shopkick points out of it! Then I take those point and get gift cards toward free groceries and gas :)