Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3152241 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #11100 on: February 27, 2018, 01:06:32 AM »
Oh, you just reminded me @halftimer, I cut my hair over the weekend, too.

(I just checked Netbank - haven't had a professional cut since November 2016. My hair is probably healthier than ever - now I just trim the ends as needed instead of putting off hair appointments.)

middo

• Stubble
  • Learning.
« Reply #11101 on: February 27, 2018, 01:32:18 AM »
It's funny, I've onle ever had my hair cut professionally twice in my life and hated the experience each time.

I cut it muself with clippers unless the wife gets to me first.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11102 on: February 27, 2018, 01:36:56 AM »
It's funny, I've onle ever had my hair cut professionally twice in my life and hated the experience each time.

I cut it muself with clippers unless the wife gets to me first.

I was down to getting it cut professionally once or twice a year and hated it every time.

Wish I had started doing it myself a decade ago. It helps that no-one has told me I look homeless. ;)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11103 on: February 27, 2018, 12:51:49 PM »
Following up an unpaid invoice for a $1800 freelance gig.

The process so far:

- Send invoice (November)
- Send invoice again (December)
- Send invoice again (January)
- Call the person who commissioned the work
- Send invoice again (February)
- Receive email instructing me to set myself up as a vendor in their system
- Complete vendor registration
- Forward vendor ID number to my contact and request purchase order, as per instructions
- Receive email from my contact to payroll asking what he is supposed to do
- Receive email from payroll saying I don't need a purchase number, just need to submit invoice
- Receive invoice from payroll saying they have received invoice but I need to register as a vendor
- Send vendor ID number and invoices (again)

The upside is I'm finally in their system, and should be paid at some point ... this year ... maybe.

Spoke too soon.

They rejected the invoices because I don’t have a purchase number. Except, you know, I do.

I re-sent everything again but seriously, their payables department can eat a bag of dicks.

Update: they haven't paid the invoice, but they have emailed me a customer satisfaction survey.

You can't make this stuff up.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #11104 on: February 27, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »
Emailed my neighborhood listserv letting folks know I was looking for a particular kind of bassinet for our upcoming new arrival and asking if anyone had one to sell/borrow.  (Had already posted in other places with no success.)  Miraculously, a neighbor on my own block texted to let me know she had one and we were welcome to have it!  This thing retails for over $200 and goes for >$100 used on Craigslist, and even though we didn't really *need* it, we really wanted it, and I'm so psyched that we have it now.  It was the last baby item on our list so feeling great to have it checked off.  Can't get anything if you don't ask for it, right? :-)

Also, connected with another neighbor who saw my email and let me know that she's having a baby around the same time as me, so got a new friend in the process!  Win-win.

coachfrigo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11105 on: February 27, 2018, 06:57:29 PM »
Cancelled my extended warranty on my vehicle. No longer underwater on my loan.

Tomorrow, going to inquire about making the switch from AT&T to PureTalk USA. Though, I'll probably have to wait a couple of months, as the termination fees are high.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11106 on: February 27, 2018, 07:50:12 PM »
* Made homemade chicken noodle soup made with homemade chicken stock, shredded chicken leftover from a whole roast chicken I made this weekend, stray noodles from the pantry, older cherry tomatoes from the fridge, commodity carrots, commodity onions and really expensive salt (that part is chemically ridiculous, I know).

* Drinking expensive wine while I poach a whole snapper in my thrifted fish poacher pan. After we eat Mr. Snapper, I will turn his bones and skin into fish stock for use some other dish.

* I've been looking for a stainless steel roasting pan (I don't trust non-stick and find the coat flakes into my demi-glace) and found one today at Goodwill that was NIB with the roasting rack and "lifters." It was expensive for the thrift shop but 1/4 to 1/3 the price I would pay new, so I brought it home.

* Watered my chives with graywater, fed the grapevine with French press coffee grounds and rinse water.

* Composted, cloth diapered, used homemade red-wine vinegar in a recipe, used homegrown lemons in a recipe, ate homemade yogurt.

* Made $11 reselling an OOP educational DVD that I bought at a library sale for $0.25. Packaged it for shipment in recycled materials, shipping will be covered by Forever Stamps a friend gave me for helping her cleaning out her late mother's house. The profit will go straight into an investment account.

SURVEY: WHAT SHOULD I ROAST FIRST IN MY NEW THRIFTED ROASTING PAN? DUCK? GOOSE? CHICKEN? QUAILS? PHEASANT? (My husband won't eat red meat, although I do make a mean leg of lamb.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 08:09:03 PM by jengod »
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Reading with children pays dividends. Recommended resources for Mustachian families: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease |  The Read-Aloud Revival podcast by Sarah McKenzie | Books to Build On by E.D. Hirsch | The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11107 on: February 27, 2018, 10:19:22 PM »
Traded ebooks with a friend. Made a tasty dinner in

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11108 on: February 28, 2018, 12:24:47 AM »
Switched phone plans. Going from 4.50/month (7 if I add internet) to 2.50 that's already including internet :D

LaineyAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #11109 on: February 28, 2018, 02:20:09 PM »
Scavenged corrugated galvanized steel from neighbor's pile he'd put out on the street for the quarterly big trash pickup.  We'll be using it for a workshop area in the backyard of our little rental house.  Saved approx. $70.

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11110 on: February 28, 2018, 02:43:17 PM »
- A package was supposed to arrive from Target yesterday. It never showed up despite the tracking showing that it was out for delivery at 6:22 am. I called customer service to complain and got a $5 gift card.
According to tracking, it hasn't been delivered yet either. Might be giving them another call tonight.

- Usual other things, brought lunch from last night's leftovers made from a ham bought on sale and then frozen.

-Got a work trip coming up on Monday to a city 2 hours away. If I can get a breakfast meeting the next day, I will stay with my parents allowing me to have a nice quick visit home and pocket the in-lieu of hotel money. I'll make the trip in my own car too so I can get mileage back. The trick will be not stopping at IKEA and buying the chair I've been lusting over for 2 months.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #11111 on: February 28, 2018, 03:03:21 PM »
After weeks of searching for a bedframe and box spring with no one getting back to me on Kijiji, was about to give up and buy them new (on sale). Finally they all got back to me today! Ended up getting a fairly cheap still in bag box spring, and went to the Habitat Restore for a bed frame, haggled the price down from $25 to $10 due to missing casters. Huzzah!

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11112 on: February 28, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »
I ran out of time to pack a lunch today, and I would have bought lunch at work except that the card machine was out of order today. I would have gone into town to buy lunch and use the ATM, but it was too cold. Peanuts, candy, and cookies/biscuits instead. Saved £3.15.

The bus listed on the sign never showed, and I waited for the next bus for about 10 more minutes in freezing cold but finally realised I would be warmer if I just walked home. I only wish I had walked from the beginning. Saved £1. I was going to go to the supermarket and then take a bus home from there, so going straight home deferred that spending until tomorrow.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11113 on: February 28, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »
Cancelled my extended warranty on my vehicle. No longer underwater on my loan.

Tomorrow, going to inquire about making the switch from AT&T to PureTalk USA. Though, I'll probably have to wait a couple of months, as the termination fees are high.

Wow - I didn't know it was possible to cancel an extended warranty. Checking into that asap!

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11114 on: February 28, 2018, 03:49:01 PM »
Traded ebooks with a friend. Made a tasty dinner in

@ElleFiji - can you do that if you only have the free kindle from Amazon?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11115 on: March 01, 2018, 02:21:24 AM »
Following up an unpaid invoice for a $1800 freelance gig.

The process so far:

- Send invoice (November)
- Send invoice again (December)
- Send invoice again (January)
- Call the person who commissioned the work
- Receive email instructing me to set myself up as a vendor in their system
- Complete vendor registration
- Forward vendor ID number to my contact and request purchase order, as per instructions
- Receive email from my contact to payroll asking what he is supposed to do
- Receive email from payroll saying I don't need a purchase number, just need to submit invoice
- Receive invoice from payroll saying they have received invoice but I need to register as a vendor
- Send vendor ID number and invoices (again)

The upside is I'm finally in their system, and should be paid at some point ... this year ... maybe.

Spoke too soon.

They rejected the invoices because I don’t have a purchase number. Except, you know, I do.

I re-sent everything again but seriously, their payables department can eat a bag of dicks.

Update: they haven't paid the invoice, but they have emailed me a customer satisfaction survey.

You can't make this stuff up.

Still going.

Had to resubmit it twice again today.

Got two more customer satisfaction surveys for my trouble.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11116 on: March 01, 2018, 04:29:43 AM »
I take it you gave them a zero? (And they're lucky to get that too :D !)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11117 on: March 01, 2018, 04:33:50 AM »
I take it you gave them a zero? (And they're lucky to get that too :D !)

It was a series of: How satisfied are you with...?

[ x ] Very dissatisfied

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11118 on: March 01, 2018, 06:10:44 AM »
Not really saving money, but I filed my taxes and will get €1000 back this year, yay!

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11119 on: March 01, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »
Not really saving money, but I filed my taxes and will get €1000 back this year, yay!

Yay! Me too :)

We are the kind of idiots that filed our taxes on 1 March 2018, 00:27.... we were actually excited. 

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11120 on: March 01, 2018, 12:48:07 PM »

Yay! Me too :)

We are the kind of idiots that filed our taxes on 1 March 2018, 00:27.... we were actually excited.

It was 7.30 AM... Does that make me less or even more of an idiot? ;)

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #11121 on: March 01, 2018, 08:57:21 PM »
@mustachepungoeshere, what kind of incompetent fucktards are running that A/P dept.? I had a similarly frustrating experience dealing with a very large company. Impossible to speak to someone and help them understand the issue (two invoices sent using same PO: first shipment was incomplete, second was backorders — some genius closed out the PO after first shipment - not hard to solve if someone will TALK to you). Constant email replies to “invoice paid/PO closed/log in to see status” but no way to log in, because that information was never given to me in the first place. It did finally get paid several months (and several emails and help from someone at a local branch) later. Keep hammering on them; you WILL prevail!

On the small things to save money front, ate all meals at or from home, as usual. Phew, stayed on topic;)
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11122 on: March 01, 2018, 09:34:58 PM »
@mustachepungoeshere, what kind of incompetent fucktards are running that A/P dept.? I had a similarly frustrating experience dealing with a very large company. Impossible to speak to someone and help them understand the issue (two invoices sent using same PO: first shipment was incomplete, second was backorders — some genius closed out the PO after first shipment - not hard to solve if someone will TALK to you). Constant email replies to “invoice paid/PO closed/log in to see status” but no way to log in, because that information was never given to me in the first place. It did finally get paid several months (and several emails and help from someone at a local branch) later. Keep hammering on them; you WILL prevail!

On the small things to save money front, ate all meals at or from home, as usual. Phew, stayed on topic;)

It's offshore.

I realise that the inefficient processes are not the fault of the people who work there, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to take the opportunity to leave feedback when asked.

Which means it got awkward when they called me asking why I was dissatisfied.

Just to be clear, the invoice is still yet to be paid.

The fuck did he expect me to say?

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #11123 on: March 01, 2018, 09:59:04 PM »
^totally agree - I should have blamed the designers of the terrible process. I thought that as soon as I posted.
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11124 on: March 01, 2018, 11:07:08 PM »
Finished reading a book from the library.  Starting another book that I borrowed from a friend.
Frugalite in training.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11125 on: March 02, 2018, 01:40:01 AM »
Finished reading a book from the library.  Starting another book that I borrowed from a friend.

I am now speeding up in one of my library books, because it needs to be brought back soon and someone else has reserved it. That is what I dislike about library books, the time pressure to read. Not that I don't spend 1,5 hour a day on a train, it is more challenging to find time to read.

I was able to prolong my loan on another book that I borrowed at the same time, but have even started in. DH was able to read it last week and said it was partly interesting.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11126 on: March 02, 2018, 04:25:01 AM »
I got given two free work shirts today (bringing my total to 6 free work shirts!). I now have enough shirts to rotate through each week in 5 different colours!

I work in education, where neat business-casual dress is expected - work shirts are available for purchase but not mandatory. 

I loathe spending money for my job so I've never bought any, but 2-3 years ago, a leaving co-worker of a similar size asked if I wanted two of her work shirts - I gratefully accepted. At the end of last year, a middle manager was clearing out their office, and posted an open email about a pile of old-style work polos she had found - I collected another two for free (rather baggy ones but fine).

And today, a third co-worker brought in two of his old ones, and gave them to me, told me he figured I would get more use out of them as I obviously like them! They're nothing special, but they are neat, professional looking cotton polos that obviously last (they're easily 5-7 years old). Sure, they aren't the cutest outfits around, but I'm not at work to look attractive, I quite like the boing/functional vibe!

So my work wardrobe now consists of free work shirts, shorts/pants which have all come from thrift stores at less than $2-3 a pop, and a cute pair of sneakers that my sister bought and never wore (a little small for her).  Win!
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11127 on: March 02, 2018, 09:01:21 AM »

I am now speeding up in one of my library books, because it needs to be brought back soon and someone else has reserved it. That is what I dislike about library books, the time pressure to read. Not that I don't spend 1,5 hour a day on a train, it is more challenging to find time to read.

I was able to prolong my loan on another book that I borrowed at the same time, but have even started in. DH was able to read it last week and said it was partly interesting.

Here's a fun thing that I do - I check out the physical book and I also check to see if my library has the audio version as well.  If so, I download the audio version to my phone.  Then I will read at home, and if I'm out/about, I'll pick up where I left off via my phone and it lets me get through books a lot faster than if I were only reading the physical book.
Frugalite in training.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11128 on: March 02, 2018, 01:49:02 PM »
-Used a gift card to buy dinner last night. I've had a helluva week, so it was a great sanity saver.
-Carpooled w/a friend to dinner
-Bought ski tickets (totally not frugal) at pre-order today to save $52 for tomorrow

Jaayse

• Stubble
« Reply #11129 on: March 02, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »
My work tried to tell me that I would not get refunded for the meals on a two week trip I am taking, but after going to the department that deals with travel and funds I managed to get my orders written to include the money, saving myself $182. 

I also cancelled a subscription (that I had previously cancelled but they didn't have it on record) and got refunded half of the most recent charge $60 of $120.  I am still upset about that, the charge was only put on my credit card around a week ago and I called immediately, but they still wouldn't refund the whole thing or allow me to speak with their supervisor. 

Finally, today I went to the store and managed to get most of my month's groceries for $32, mostly due to only needing food for 2 weeks of this month, but also because I raided the damaged goods section and used a bunch of coupons.  I also got a few well fitting bras and some fleece lined tights that were marked down and then discounted 50% of their marked down price for a total of $28.
My Journal:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-journey-of-a-lifetime/
Earn 50,000 bonus points with Chase Sapphire Preferred ($4k spend in 3 months). I can be rewarded too if you apply here and are approved for the card. Learn more.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/QCXVQ647S4
www.airbnb.com/c/justinec3400  -> Sign up for AirBnB here for 40$ on your account
Ibotta referral code:  ulyodxt

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11130 on: March 02, 2018, 10:31:37 PM »
Thanks to a combination of strategically-purchased memberships, winning a contest, and delayed gratification, I went to two concerts for free this week ($20 and  $28) and booked free tickets for another four ($40, $28, $28, $60).
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11131 on: March 03, 2018, 08:46:45 AM »
Instead of going to a restaurant to get a very specific dish (Hawaiin poke, it's a fish dish), we made it at home. Still not cheap, but way cheaper for way bigger portions. And it turned out wonderfully.

Cut DH's hair.

Went to a neighborhood estate sale and bought two really sturdy pristine stainless steel pie pans for $3 each.

Picked up a manager's special fancy ham (organic, naturally cured, local, etc) for $1.20/lb, and chunked it up and froze a bunch of it.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

thunderball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11132 on: March 03, 2018, 08:57:26 AM »

sold gifted Apple watch on eBay: +$300

switching Family plan from AT&T to Cricket wireless:  saves $800/yr

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11133 on: March 03, 2018, 10:00:13 AM »
Got offered a free ticket for a concert, but refused it. Ticket was free but travel would be still  be around €40 ( but that wasn't the main reason I declined, there were some other circumstances as well).

Had some leftover kiwi's and googled for kiwi recipes. I bought 10 for €1,50 which is a good deal, but after a week I was kind of tired eating them. Turns out you can make lemonade from them, which I'm going to try right now.

Lichen

• Bristles
  • We've got movie sign!
« Reply #11134 on: March 03, 2018, 11:03:10 AM »
Pulled the bag of saved bread heels from the freezer yesterday and made a strata for dinner.

Free evening entertainment -- astronomy presentation from a physicist put on by DS2's astro club.

Did not purchase an expensive piece of microscope equipment. Instead, looked at a few hobbiest forums and was able to devise a DIY version from a large bolt and nut plus a scalpel. Precise enough for my needs and saved at least $80.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11135 on: March 03, 2018, 12:40:28 PM »
I cooked apples that I took home from the office on Friday afternoon. Those apples can he used for dinner some time later.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11136 on: March 03, 2018, 02:28:26 PM »
I made a batch of salsa chicken last night, so we have something to eat for lunch and dinner this weekend.
I'm making a batch of brown rice to go with the salsa chicken.  I love my Instant Pot.
Gave our dogs baths.  We will groom them later today.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11137 on: March 03, 2018, 02:47:28 PM »
What a day. Tried to ski, but the pass was closed & the drive would have been 6 hours each way. We turned around, even though we'd already paid $330 for lift tickets + rentals. Wanted to cry. Tickets are non-refundable. Here's how we saved money the last few days.

-Found a hail mary frozen mystery dinner, when I got home late last night & had 30 minutes to get dinner served
-Called the ski resort & spoke to a lovely woman who refunded us the full $330. Seriously, so grateful.
-Returned the ski pants I'd bought (I've been trying to avoid, but it was going to be 15 degrees F today, and I needed an extra layer under my pants. My already way too tight pants weren't going to cut it.
-Used drugstore rebate points to buy mouthwash
-Taking the kids to a movie (they were devastated about the skiing) using gift cards we got as Christmas gifts. We'll also take our ski snacks as our special treat.
-Through a discounted companion fare + miles, saved $538 on flights for the holidays
-Sold a watch for $327
-Will not eat lunch or dinner out today, which was the plan when we were going to be skiing

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #11138 on: March 03, 2018, 03:35:23 PM »
I fixed a leaking dish scrubber brush, the kind that holds liquid detergent.  i used plastic epoxy that I had on hand to repair a crack extending under the O-ring that sealed the lid.  Saved $9 if this repair takes hold, and removed the replacement item from my Amazon cart.   

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11139 on: March 04, 2018, 03:00:11 AM »
I'm making beans and rice for dinner. Beans were dried.

Did a load of laundry at 95C (all my cleaning rags). Running a cycle at the hottest temperature possible cleans out the machine from the inside, which extends the life of the machine, and this way my cleaning rags can be re-used too.

Did the dishes very thoroughly - my s/o does it most of the time but he's a lazy cleaner. I've been scrubbing until all the pots and pans look brand new. This doesn't save money rightaway, but maintenance is the key to making stuff last.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11140 on: March 04, 2018, 06:58:48 AM »
- Biked 3 miles round trip to the closer, cheaper grocery store instead of taking my car to the “nicer” one based on what I needed.
- Cut my own hair since it needed a trim and it feels so much better now.
- Meal prepped breakfast and lunches.
- (& Plan to work from home for several hours today to get some projects done and also work toward a performance bonus for March that I can put toward my student loans).

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #11141 on: March 04, 2018, 08:15:56 AM »
Cancelled my audible subscription.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #11142 on: March 04, 2018, 07:20:16 PM »
Yesterday I was going to the fabric store to buy some material to sew a saddle cover, then I realized I could make better ones out of a cheap horse blanket I don't like or use.  I made the first one last night and it works perfectly, and there's enough material left to make 3 more.  I'm even able to re-use the hardware.  I'm sure I would have spent upwards of $50 on fabric, and not come out with as nice of a product.

nessness

• Stubble
« Reply #11143 on: March 04, 2018, 07:44:28 PM »
I made a big batch of applesauce from apples I bought for 33¢/lb. The kids love it, and I'm kicking myself now for not getting more apples and making a bunch more to freeze. I might try to get back to the store this week.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11144 on: March 04, 2018, 08:21:05 PM »
-Had soup from the freezer for lunch
-Made homemade pizza
-Listed another item on eBay
-Took our electric car to a kid soccer game, saving on gas

SlowMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11145 on: March 04, 2018, 09:57:10 PM »
Yesterday I was going to the fabric store to buy some material to sew a saddle cover, then I realized I could make better ones out of a cheap horse blanket I don't like or use.  I made the first one last night and it works perfectly, and there's enough material left to make 3 more.  I'm even able to re-use the hardware.  I'm sure I would have spent upwards of $50 on fabric, and not come out with as nice of a product.

Love this! Reminds me of the choose fi podcast with Liz from frugal woods.

mountain mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11146 on: March 05, 2018, 09:09:06 AM »
sold 3 things on eBay that were literally just gathering dust in my garage- $95.00!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11147 on: March 05, 2018, 04:10:05 PM »
Got my quarterly power bill.

The bill was up $3 because the summer quarter was three days longer, but actual energy use is the lowest out of the past five quarters.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11148 on: March 05, 2018, 05:51:11 PM »
Got my quarterly power bill.

The bill was up $3 because the summer quarter was three days longer, but actual energy use is the lowest out of the past five quarters.

Brilliant!!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11149 on: March 05, 2018, 06:47:01 PM »
-Price matched a flight, earning $20 in future airline credit
-Used frequent flier miles + part of the above $20 to cover the taxes for a trip I'm taking in October. Paid $0 out of pocket
-Leftover chicken & rice for dinner

I made a goal in 2018 to better maximize our travel rewards (no credit card churning, just points & miles from business travel, etc). I've been tracking & have already covered $2045 worth of travel through miles, points, credits from the airline for flight changes, etc.