Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020863 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10800 on: February 16, 2018, 05:39:29 PM »
-Returned things to Costco. Even though the line didn't move, AT ALL, for the first half hour. I stayed and stuck with it, dangit.
-Wanted flowers to pretty up the house for people visiting this weekend (slash, spring, slash, valentines). Opted to a- buy them from Trader Joes. And B- get 2 bunches of daffodils for $1.99 each rather than the tulips for $10.99
-Cut my husband's hair
-Caught up on my medical mileage log and my work travel mileage log so I can write those off for 2018 taxes. Originally wasn't sure I would bother with the higher standard deduction, but it's worth the little bit of effort to keep the habit. I've already done it for 2 years, I can just as well keep doing it, just in case.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10801 on: February 16, 2018, 09:57:28 PM »
-- Used leftover pizza supplies from Valentines Day to make a second pizza for dinner
-- Grocery shopped with a cash budget, came in 14.00 under budget :)
-- Found 2 pennies on the ground
-- DH's polo cuffs were detaching from the sleeves.  He wears essentially the same 4-5 polos every week, and this particular polo is probably several years old and showing it.  I had watched goodwill for a replacement for a couple of weeks, but we recently found out that he will be able to work remotely starting in May, with only occasional trips to the main office.  With a few decent polos, a couple of dress shirts, and the couple of khakis/slacks, he should be good for years.  I just stitched his cuffs back to his sleeves on his polo.  It only has to last a couple more months!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10802 on: February 17, 2018, 10:40:32 AM »
-- Its 11:30 here, and I'm feeling pretty productive already :)

-- Made coffee this morning with a cheaper brand of coffee beans.  DH seems to be less enthused, but I don't notice TOO much of a difference.  Either way, we will use up the 2 lb bag before trying another kind, so for a few weeks our morning brews will be a cheaper expense at least.
-- Rescued our sheets and comforter last night after DH's particularly nasty cut opened back up while he was making the bed.  Its several days, old, and he thought it was good without the bandage.  A dozen cotton swabs and several applications of hydrogen peroxide took care of every bloody mark...whew! 
-- Listed a couple of household items on a buy and sell page last night and I am meeting to sell a large, bulky roaster this afternoon.
-- We are having dinner at a friends house tonight and I offered to bring something.  She said dessert, so I made homemade brownies this morning from pantry items. 
-- DH was craving pizza (again!), but while I baked the brownies, I fixed up finger food plates of sliced cheese, pepperoni, crackers, and misc berries and the last few scoops of cottage cheese.  Stomachs filled, potential spending abated...

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #10803 on: February 17, 2018, 04:49:34 PM »
The snow is back, yuck!

Today:
* Hosted DS12's astronomy club meeting at my house so no driving and time saved since there was no commute to a meeting.

* Made breakfast burritos for the week.

* Mixed the Spanish rice and bean mixture together that were leftover from burrito bowls earlier in the week. Made 20 burritos from the mix and stuck them in the freezer. Those are two quick dinners in the bank for the future.

* Cheap date tonight! We are going to an actual restaurant using a holiday gift card, then coming home for a drink and a game or three of darts in the basement.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10804 on: February 17, 2018, 05:00:52 PM »
- went to the dog park for some free entertainment and exercise for both me and pup.
- bathed and groomed my dog at the wash station at the park.
- biked to the grocery store meant: (1) no gas spent and (2) no extra purchases since I had to fit everything in my backpack.
- cooked dinner with a bunch of leftovers so I have dinners for early next week planned out!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10805 on: February 17, 2018, 08:09:33 PM »
-we used our Costco gift card to buy groceries for the week
-Rented ski gear vs buying. We will likely only go for 1 day this season
-Bought lift tickets online ahead of going. Note, this is still crazy expensive. Next year, maybe we will do a destination vacation, because Tahoe is SO pricey
-Wearing my super tight, really not fitting ski pants tomorrow, because. . . not going to buy new ones
-Made dinner tonight, even those things were crazy
-Bought snacks from the bulk bin & made PB&Js for tomorrow. Originally we were going to stay the night, but for $125, we'll pass

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #10806 on: February 17, 2018, 08:13:39 PM »
- Went to the library to return old books and pick up some new ones
- Went to the dollar store to get some craft supplies instead of the art store, though now that I've tested the no-name markers vs the ones I planned to get that might not be saving anything in the long run... :S

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10807 on: February 18, 2018, 07:30:07 AM »
Over the last couple days I returned a bag of Bob's Red Mill oatmeal to ocean state and purchased a 10 lb box of Quaker Oats from Costco for a significant savings.  Took Dd14 to goodwill for a dress for her upcoming banquet for $5.99.  She needed up finding more clothing, many new with tags, and a pair of new converse.  I got a coat for $5 that I'm putting away as a Christmas gift for myself.  Because it is my birthday month, we got a great discount.   We finished off the Buffalo stew that I made last week, first night we had it over mashed potatoes, then over polenta and last night I made home made gnocchi.  I made a gallon of yogurt over night, for the price of a gallon of Aldi milk $1.84 & 4 mini ice cubes of frozen Dannon yogurt as starter that I bought and froze over a year ago!  This starter was a quart of Dannon whole milk yogurt for around $3.00 that I froze in silicone, mini  ice trays and then put into a freezer bag.  This is my tried and true method.  Today I'm making a batch o hummus from garbanzo beans that I cooked and froze, cut up raw veggies to go with hummus, make a batch of naan and a batch of muffins.  I will plan and defrost the next few nights of dinners and prep what I can ahead. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10808 on: February 18, 2018, 08:11:36 AM »
Over the last couple days I returned a bag of Bob's Red Mill oatmeal to ocean state and purchased a 10 lb box of Quaker Oats from Costco for a significant savings.  Took Dd14 to goodwill for a dress for her upcoming banquet for $5.99.  She needed up finding more clothing, many new with tags, and a pair of new converse.  I got a coat for $5 that I'm putting away as a Christmas gift for myself.  Because it is my birthday month, we got a great discount.   We finished off the Buffalo stew that I made last week, first night we had it over mashed potatoes, then over polenta and last night I made home made gnocchi.  I made a gallon of yogurt over night, for the price of a gallon of Aldi milk $1.84 & 4 mini ice cubes of frozen Dannon yogurt as starter that I bought and froze over a year ago!  This starter was a quart of Dannon whole milk yogurt for around $3.00 that I froze in silicone, mini  ice trays and then put into a freezer bag.  This is my tried and true method.  Today I'm making a batch o hummus from garbanzo beans that I cooked and froze, cut up raw veggies to go with hummus, make a batch of naan and a batch of muffins.  I will plan and defrost the next few nights of dinners and prep what I can ahead.

Does goodwill give a birthday discount? I've never heard of this. Is it every goodwill?

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10809 on: February 18, 2018, 09:01:48 AM »
Unplanned spend but big money saver!

Stopped by a favorite thrift store last night to look for a cheapie tripod the astronomy club needs. No tripod found, but they had just got in a load of medium quality workout gear/swimsuits from some store donating old stock. I got:

- 2 new sports bras. (I've been using old bras for exercising that had lost most of their support. Not a good idea for a top heavy lass!)

-2 new swim suits (Mine was no longer decent because I have lost 30+ pounds since last summer. I bought one that fits and another 2 sizes down since I'm still actively losing-- full coverage tankini with short-style bottoms.)

I spent $15.47 on all four, which is much less than what any one would have cost. I had already decided to splurge on a sports bra before I gave myself a black eye, and a swimsuit would have become a necessity once kayak season rolled around, so being proactive probably saved me at least $60 over cheaply made new alternatives, or $100+ if I bought quality new!

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #10810 on: February 18, 2018, 11:04:42 AM »
@Lichen, great score at the thrift shop!

I saved money by fixing a filing cabinet that had broken at my office. I took over as treasurer for my community league recently, and the position came with a rather horrible amount of papers (several file boxes worth); I was looking for a more functional (and attractive) way to store/access them. I started on kijiji and found a nice IKEA cabinet that matched my desk ($400ish new/selling for under $200), but the buyer wouldn’t take my offer. I thought, screw it, it doesn’t need to be pretty; this is not a permanent thing I’ll be doing (thinking max five years) and I’m not going to spend money.

The large filing cabinet is now fixed, the papers are accessible and tidy, and the cabinet doesn’t look half bad in my home office. I’m very happy with the solution, especially the part about spending zero.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #10811 on: February 18, 2018, 11:56:24 AM »
I will not be buying any wine at today's Shakespeare production.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #10812 on: February 18, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »
I was walking to my normal weekend treat of croissant + coffee and realized I'd rather have the homemade scones and coffee at home. Free!

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10813 on: February 18, 2018, 12:58:46 PM »

Does goodwill give a birthday discount? I've never heard of this. Is it every goodwill?
. I'm not sure if it's all over, but in my area we have goodwill store cards just like at the grocery store and they give you 25% off one time during your Birthday month.  Also my area stores give 5% off everyday  with card, when you spend $20 or more. We also have 50% off a specific color tag.  Yesterday was blue which is how I got the coat for $5, rather than $10.  You should ask what deals your store offers and if they have a rewards card!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:40:07 PM by CutTheFat »

PKate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10814 on: February 18, 2018, 01:03:22 PM »
I started onion, leek, parsley, and lemongrass seeds.  I also planted some garlic in pots for the greens.  I reused containers I had on hand and made my own potting mix. 

Potting mix  is equal parts compost and peat moss or coconut coir. I add a little lime and a good organic fertilizer like Espoma Garden Tone.  I use so much potting mix to grow seedlings every year that is worth mixing my own.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10815 on: February 18, 2018, 10:34:58 PM »
* Used a pair of metal tweezers that I found on the ground and boiled to sanitize

* Didn’t pay $100 to frame two things. Will wait until we get home and use sales at Aaron Bros or thrift frames to do it affordably

* Made coffee at home and brought own drinks everywhere we went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10816 on: February 19, 2018, 08:32:42 AM »
So, it definitely wasn't a frugal weekend. Took the kids on a day ski trip to Tahoe. But, here are the things we did do to save money:
-Bought passes online the night before (Saved $50)
-Found a dime on the ground in the ski parking area ;-)
-Packed & ate breakfast in the car, & used travel coffee mugs
-Packed snacks, water, & a sandwich for my husband. The rest of us ate in the lodge. (OMG. So expensive)
-We cancelled a 3 day ski trip complete with hotel to try this day trip out. Kids had an amazing time. Saved about $1500 on day trip vs full ski adventure. May try & do another few day trips.
-Pride & my wallet would not let me buy new ski pants, so I wore my 15 year old, at least 2 sizes two small pants
-At the check in for lift tickets, they were giving away free granola bars. They gave us 4

Dianalou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10817 on: February 19, 2018, 12:50:01 PM »
We were out of town this weekend visiting my parents and came home to a very empty fridge (on purpose). Ate tuna melts from all freezer/pantry food for dinner last night, and I found a random cup of noodles in the pantry to bring for lunch today. Supplemented with some other free food at work and free coffee.

I am however bummed out that the banks are not open today, have some cash from my side gig and I REALLY hate carrying it around.

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10818 on: February 19, 2018, 01:45:14 PM »
Knitted my own headband.  I can use the same/leftover yarn to add side inserts to a thrifted, felted cardigan that shrank.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10819 on: February 19, 2018, 04:53:41 PM »
*Stacked coupon and storewide sale to get a couple of oversized frames at 60 percent off retail

* Rode my bike to one errand and walked two miles round trip to get some items at the drugstore for my kids.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10820 on: February 19, 2018, 05:56:46 PM »
* Took DS12 to the Y to swim using our free trial pass. We enjoyed the pool and lazy river, then played a few games of air hockey. A pleasant and free way to spend the afternoon. (Although it is now pretty much decided that we will spring for a membership once the trial is up on Friday....)

* Took a shower at the Y after swimming. Saves the use of hot water at home today!

* Started a vegan southwest bean soup before we left this morning, using inexpensive ingredients + preserved produce from last summer's garden. Pairing it with homemade jalapeno cornbread.

* The non-garbage disposal side of the kitchen sink started draining slowly yesterday. While we were out today, the wife took apart the trap and solved the problem -- a bread tie had fallen down the drain and caught all the little bits that sometimes made it past the screen. Problem solved at no cost. I think clearing clogged drains is one of the most important mustachian skills, especially if you have kids that like to drop things down drains!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10821 on: February 19, 2018, 06:25:21 PM »
-- Stayed home.  Its presidents day and my office was closed, so I didn't use any gas and its a paid holiday, so I still got paid.
-- Am helping host a party on Saturday.  I volunteered to plan the games, as I can normally do this portion of most parties with little to no spending, even if I need prizes.  Its a scavenger hunt detective styled game that I created almost entirely by hand and duplicated (by hand too) on scrap papers and misc writing paper/card stock around the house rather than using computer paper and ink for it.  I have plans for some specialty candies that fit the theme and will be around a quarter a prize, which won't be expensive either. 
-- Made some lunches for the rest of the week with dinner leftovers and leftover pasta/veggies/sauce from over the weekend.  Ready to go in containers to keep us from buying out.
-- Turned off the hvac because temps are hovering around 65 here.  Not cold enough for heat, no where near hot enough for AC.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #10822 on: February 19, 2018, 06:49:47 PM »
Met two friends for tea today, directly after the gym (lunch time). Packed something healthy to eat before entering the coffee shop, avoiding unnecessary spending and calories. Also brought my own travel mug, which saved a bit.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10823 on: February 19, 2018, 08:42:43 PM »
-Ate leftovers PB&J from skiing for breakfast
-Leftovers from last night's dinner for lunch
-Defrosted butternut squash & made that into soup for dinner
-Drove the electric car to soccer practice for the kids. (Nanny is out of town, which is a scheduling hassle, but a money saver)
-Listed a bunch of old ski gear on local neighborhood swap. May have sold $23 tomorrow - waiting for final confirmation

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10824 on: February 20, 2018, 03:15:35 AM »
Staying an extra day at my friend's place rather than traveling on, which saves me at least 20 euros on accomodation costs.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10825 on: February 20, 2018, 07:32:39 AM »
• Ate some leftover jerky for breakfast before it went bad (open package).

• Walking to the bank/ other errands over my lunch break instead of spending $ on lunch.

• Using leftover rotisserie chicken to make chicken salad & freezing the carcass for stock this weekend.

• Hanging my suits on my shower rod to steam them over the course of a few days instead of buying a steamer or dry cleaning.

• Reaching out to clients to go to a fancy pants dinner that the firm will pay for tomorrow, including mileage. I’ll pack the dessert to-go to bring home to my bf and the mileage checks will cover gas + extra which will go to student loans.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10826 on: February 20, 2018, 07:36:42 AM »
• Ate some leftover jerky for breakfast before it went bad (open package).

• Walking to the bank/ other errands over my lunch break instead of spending $ on lunch.

• Using leftover rotisserie chicken to make chicken salad for dinner & freezing the carcass for stock this weekend.

• Hanging my suits on my shower rod to steam them over the course of a few days instead of buying a steamer or dry cleaning.

• Reaching out to clients to go to a fancy pants dinner that the firm will pay for tomorrow, including mileage. I’ll pack the dessert to-go to bring home to my bf and the mileage checks will cover gas + extra which will go to student loans.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10827 on: February 20, 2018, 05:01:46 PM »
-- Still have the hvac turned off entirely, although it might need to go on before bed tonight...temps will drop
-- merged a trip to the store for work with several items i needed for this weekend's party.  Saved gas
-- Swung through goodwill on the lookout for new socks (they often have brand new socks for 49 cents.  I don't need a pack of them...I just need a couple more ankle-but-not-noshow height socks to last between washes. I found 3 pairs of hanes for 49 cents a piece :)
-- Lazy night after I failed to take out anything to thaw this morning.  Fish sticks (bought on sale) and frozen peas to the rescue!
-- Ate the last of the Thin Mints with DH for dessert rather than picking up ice cream sandwiches (saved money and gas)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10828 on: February 20, 2018, 08:13:11 PM »
-Ate leftovers for breakfast-
-Fed 3 kids (bonus kid) lunch from the "fun" freezer options we keep on hand for days just like this. Not the healthiest (mini pizza bagels), but served with milk, fruit & veggies
-Made $23 selling a few old ski things on our neighborhood Facebook site
-Drove all errands & trip to work in electric car

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10829 on: February 20, 2018, 08:32:16 PM »
Returned 3 carts in the pouring rain at Aldi.  $0.75 richer!!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10830 on: February 20, 2018, 09:54:51 PM »
* Picked up two pennies.
* Went to see Black Panther at a theater that we've never been to on the other side of the hill. As we suspected, parking is free there and tickets are cheaper. We'll go back.
* Started morning oatmeal in the crockpot and prepared morning coffee in the French press, just need to add water.
* Making yogurt right now. Trying to get away from the adorable Siggi's yogurts. I love them but not the price or the trash.

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10831 on: February 21, 2018, 09:58:11 AM »
Made my own elderberry syrup to keep fighting this cold.  Investigating the prices reveals a classic compounded markup: the dried berries are $13 locally for the 3 oz that yields a quart of syrup.  The storebought sort is $15/4oz of syrup, or 4x the price.

I see that I can get the dried berries online for even cheaper - $13/pound.  So that makes homemade, made with online dried berries, less than 1/16th of the drugstore syrup price.

If this works, I may add these to my pantry arsenal.  Or even plant them in the landscape, seeing as they're native to this region, and can help with boggy areas.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #10832 on: February 21, 2018, 12:48:31 PM »
It's gorgeous out today, so took a long picnic lunch in the park: a couple oranges, some grapes, a hunk of gouda, a handful of chocolate covered pretzels, a glass of crisp white wine, and a great novel.  A small indulgence in cost (maybe $4 all-in) for such an amazing experience.  I can't wait until I retire and every day can be like today.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10833 on: February 21, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »
-Leftovers for breakfast
-Lunch at work
-Charging electric car for free at work
-Sold a pair of workout pants that I don't like for $7.50
-Leftovers for dinner

Yes, most of these are food related. :-)

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10834 on: February 21, 2018, 01:32:25 PM »

25c for an Aldi cart? Ours cost $1!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10835 on: February 21, 2018, 01:53:47 PM »

Cha ching Primm! Better get cracking on finding those stray trolleys then :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10836 on: February 21, 2018, 02:05:25 PM »

Cha ching Primm! Better get cracking on finding those stray trolleys then :)

I nearly pounced a couple of weeks ago when I saw a kid ditch a trolley without getting the $1 coin back. The his mum made him go and get the coin.

That actually made me happier than getting it myself, watching her teach him that $1 was worth five seconds of his time.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10837 on: February 21, 2018, 02:25:44 PM »
I'm home this morning (supposed to be TOIL but working anyway) while repair guys fix my ceiling.

They keep finding more damage so I've been driven out of my lounge room, bedroom and spare room. I've set up camp on the floor in the hallway, but at this rate I'm going to end up sitting in the tub with my laptop.

The upside: cheap Opal fare when I do eventually leave for work.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10838 on: February 21, 2018, 02:44:13 PM »

Aldi didn't have much choice.  In the US the largest common coin is a 25c.  $1 are generally paper.   

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10839 on: February 21, 2018, 03:24:55 PM »
Was on the road all day for work today, so I packed my lunch and ate in the car (I typically eat at home). Bonus: made over $100 in mileage today.

Made stock with last night’s chicken carcass and we’re now enjoying chicken and noodles.

This past weekend: finally got around to returning a bunch of Christmas-gifted clothing that didn’t fit. DH bought 2 new pairs of pants, and the house is much less cluttered.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10840 on: February 21, 2018, 06:44:14 PM »
I cancelled cable and home phone today!!!  I didn't succumb to the shady tactics that the 'disconnect department tried to keep me strung along.  I had read online that many users of my local cable carrier, who kept internet, also had many channels that the company doesn't advertise wil remain active with internet only service.  Sure enough, DH disconnected the cable box and plugged the cable directly into the tv and we have plenty of channels!!!

It was gorgeous out today so I walked my dog 5 miles.  I shopped for a couple items using grocery store app coupons, for a couple of unbeatable deals.  I grabbed some manager's specials while I was at it.  12 English muffins for $0.62, organic whole wheat sandwich bread, pumpernickel bread and bagels all $0.74/each.  All bread went into the freezer because we don't need them yet but those prices beat Aldi my weekly grocery stop.  Also got $6/off a pork shoulder, just under 10 lbs. with a sell by date of tomorrow, which brought it to $0.88/lb.  I'll cook it tomorrow and will make a few meals out of it.  I will likely freeze some of it if it looks like it will be more than we can handle in a few days.  We love pork tacos with this cut of meat!

I had my usual homemade breakfast of 2 eggs, toast & latte.  For lunch I had leftover homemade soup for lunch and budgetbytes BBQ pineapple chicken, with baked potatoes loaded with broccoli cheese, sour cream & onions. Our entire dinner cost was aprox $4.50 and I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow!  The chicken thighs were on sale for $0.69/lb (bone-in thighs).  I marinated the rest of the big family pack in whey.  I save whey in a jar in the fridge from my homemade yogurt making & straining.  Also added crushed garlic and seasonings.  If you have whey and have never marinated chicken in it, do yourself a favor and do it!  I will grill it for lunches.  I also made DD's lunch for school tomorrow.  I like making her lunch while I'm making dinner.  I put together a couple of jars of yogurt together for her for snacks.  I just put preserves in the bottom of small jars and top with my homemade plain yogurt.  She loves this for amazing fruit on the bottom yogurt.  When I make things convienient for her she eats them.  I also made some cold brew green tea with my kirkland tea bags and a wedge of lemon. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:51:57 PM by CutTheFat »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10841 on: February 21, 2018, 07:42:01 PM »
Following up an unpaid invoice for a $1800 freelance gig.

The process so far:

- Send invoice (November)
- Send invoice again (December)
- Send invoice again (January)
- Call the person who commissioned the work
- Send invoice again (February)
- Receive email instructing me to set myself up as a vendor in their system
- Complete vendor registration
- Forward vendor ID number to my contact and request purchase order, as per instructions
- Receive email from my contact to payroll asking what he is supposed to do
- Receive email from payroll saying I don't need a purchase number, just need to submit invoice
- Send invoice again (February)
- Receive invoice from payroll saying they have received invoice but I need to register as a vendor
- Send vendor ID number and invoices (again)

The upside is I'm finally in their system, and should be paid at some point ... this year ... maybe.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10842 on: February 21, 2018, 07:47:22 PM »
* Picked up several pennies. No one wants them but me LOL.
* dinner was turkey meatballs w homemade sauce and homemade pasta. (I thrifted the pasta “machine” for $5 a few years back.)
* Took my daughter to storytime at the library.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10843 on: February 21, 2018, 07:51:59 PM »
Totally unmotivated to function today. Bonus - this meant after class I loafed about the house with no urge to go anywhere or spend anything.

Went to make mac n cheese for dinner. The box I thought was full of pasta had maybe half a cup in it. Regrouped and instead thawed out a few of the burritos I made and froze last week. Served them with the zucchini-tomato salsa I made from garden produce last summer (conveniently frozen in meal size portions) and a side salad.

Dinner's served. Now back to following pointless rabbit trails online instead of studying for my exam!

Oh! We also made $2. Spouse found it in our bushes this morning. It was windy the other day, so no telling where it blew in from.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10844 on: February 22, 2018, 06:35:09 AM »
Our dryer broke the first week of January, and we have been line-drying our clothes since.  To my annoyance, our power bill went UP.  So I went and read our gas meter and submitted it to the utility company.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10845 on: February 22, 2018, 10:43:19 AM »
The ice maker in the fridge in one of our rentals leaked a few months ago and caused some bubbling in the laminate flooring. It's not terribly unsightly, but the tenants have asked multiple times when it will be replaced. I was able to score some brand new luxury vinyl tiles at our local Restore for .50/sq ft. Now just need to get some adhesive and figure out when to get it done.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #10846 on: February 22, 2018, 05:15:47 PM »
We got home from vacation on Tuesday and instead of ordering takeout, I fixed a batch of split pea soup and frozen pizza. It got rid of some of the leftover pre-vacation veggies and was delicious.
I have the leftovers today for lunch

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10847 on: February 22, 2018, 05:33:40 PM »
Taking advantage of the unseasonably warm weather:

Windows open at night to cool the house off.
Lots of walking and outdoor playtime for our toddler.
Homemade iced rooibos tea (no caffeine for the kiddo and delicious regardless).

I batch cooked last weekend, removing the temptation to walk to go out to eat.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #10848 on: February 22, 2018, 07:42:22 PM »
I've been a bit glum lately, and for whatever reason, I've felt compelled to spend a bunch of money. That's not even how I usually cope! Anyway, after a couple weeks if this, I decided to give in... strategically.

I went through Ibotta and a few other rebate apps and made a game of getting the most staples, nonperishables, and freezable items for the highest rebate. I managed 20% in rebates, and everything will get used...eventually.

I used my fun money on the trip, so my grocery bill should be a bit cheaper for the next several trips.

It may not have been the best use of my money, but it's better than some of the stuff I was eyeing online.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10849 on: February 22, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »
I was in optimizing mode this afternoon:

* Safeway is doing that silly Monopoly game, which in the past I never bothered with. Well, I was wrong. At least the "instant wins" are worth it -- Two four packs of free yogurt, free box of crackers, and $1 off Dave's Killer Bread (which I was buying anyway). I wouldn't have bought the yogurt anyway, but I do keep crackers on hand.

* Shopped around for auto insurance and switched. Savings: about $350 a year.

* One pot mac n cheese for dinner. Cheap and easy, plus it used up a 1/2 package of cream cheese that was going to go to waste.

* Found out our Dr's clinic does a sliding scale thingy for copays and certain scripts based on income. We qualify, since our income was insanely low last year. Printed off the paperwork so I can drop it off tomorrow.

* I had sent out emails to rangers at a few state/federal areas in the inland northwest, offering to host public star parties at the campground (we bring the telescope) in exchange for free camping. Received an email back from one today from a ranger excited by the prospect. We just need to decide on a weekend. Bonus -- it's a place we were wanting to do a weekend trip to this summer, anyway!

* canceled Netflix. True, it's only $10 a month, but between the library and the free prime videos, we rarely use it anymore.

*  I went through our budget with a fine tooth comb, and winnowed it down by about $500 -- which can go into savings every month now. I feel a little bit better about the $40/mo splurge on the YMCA membership now.