Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2492120 times)

Lichen

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10700 on: January 10, 2018, 09:03:44 PM »
* Took the bus! (My goal is for this to become so normal I no longer feel the urge to post it here!)

* Packaged up trail mix and stuck it into my backpack so I don't forget it. This way we have a snack upon arrival tomorrow. It's a short flight followed by a 90 minute drive. We'll have lunch before we leave for the airport, but we'll probably get peckish and this will hopefully save us from overpriced airport temptations.

* Also tossed the assorted chargers into my backpack. I hate it when we go on a trip and forget a charger, thus having to purchase yet another new one. Cords and assorted car and wall plugs are packaged and packed.

* Grabbed our national parks and state parks passes to take with us. We are planning to do some hiking on the trip, so this way we won't get pegged with day use fees if we end up at a trail head that charges.

* Mentioned my umbrella debacle to my mom, along with my task to go purchase a new one before our trip. Mom gave me an extra brand new umbrella she had, saving me the expense.

* renewed a library book online to avoid an imminent fine.

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10701 on: January 10, 2018, 10:33:18 PM »
...I didn't plan to replace them, but when I checked my clothing capsule app I realized that they are my most versatile item and because they are maroon add a lot of color and variety. (They go with work outfits and casual outfits in more than 30+ combinations.)...

@halftimer which clothing capsule app do you use?

@HappierAtHome  I use StyleBook on my iOS device - it cost $4.99 I think but has been really great for the last 4 years. I use the calendar feature all the time, know that my clothes are all essentially pennies per wear at this point (except my most recent boots), and use the packing feature when needed. I also like taking it with me when clothes shopping to make sure the impulse purchase at the thrift store will match at least 3-5 other items and is not too similar to what I already have.

I'm retiring my iOS devices soon, so testing out the Android app Smart Closet for the last few weeks.  It's not as comprehensive as Stylebook, but it's free and still has a calendar feature, stats to track usage vs price, and a neat area in the LookBook where you can create your own rules for making Random outfits, plus it can suggest an outfit for the day based on the season.  So far I think it's going to be the replacement I use (earlier test with Stylicious app for Android was not nearly as impressive). 

Hack: I find the standard clothing categories way too specific. I use the bare minimum number of categories for in season clothes (tops, bottoms, accessories, outer layers, dresses) for using the random outfit generator and saving the ones I like to the Season set.  I move all out of season to a big category called 'out of season - warm' or 'out of season - cold'.

*edit - spelling. Stylicious  not Sylicious
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:28:36 AM by halftimer »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10702 on: January 10, 2018, 10:51:33 PM »
...I didn't plan to replace them, but when I checked my clothing capsule app I realized that they are my most versatile item and because they are maroon add a lot of color and variety. (They go with work outfits and casual outfits in more than 30+ combinations.)...

@halftimer which clothing capsule app do you use?

@HappierAtHome  I use StyleBook on my iOS device - it cost $4.99 I think but has been really great for the last 4 years. I use the calendar feature all the time, know that my clothes are all essentially pennies per wear at this point (except my most recent boots), and use the packing feature when needed. I also like taking it with me when clothes shopping to make sure the impulse purchase at the thrift store will match at least 3-5 other items and is not too similar to what I already have.

I'm retiring my iOS devices soon, so testing out the Android app Smart Closet for the last few weeks.  It's not as comprehensive as Stylebook, but it's free and still has a calendar feature, stats to track usage vs price, and a neat area in the LookBook where you can create your own rules for making Random outfits, plus it can suggest an outfit for the day based on the season.  So far I think it's going to be the replacement I use (earlier test with Sylicious app for Android was not nearly as impressive). 

Hack: I find the standard clothing categories way too specific. I use the bare minimum number of categories for in season clothes (tops, bottoms, accessories, outer layers, dresses) for using the random outfit generator and saving the ones I like to the Season set.  I move all out of season to a big category called 'out of season - warm' or 'out of season - cold'.

Intrigued by this!

I'm going to have to look into the app.

SimpleCycle

• Bristles
« Reply #10704 on: January 10, 2018, 11:13:18 PM »
Signed up for our transit FSA at work.

Made a “use up” dinner with stuff in the house otherwise not planned for.

@halftimer, thanks for the reviews!  I think an app like that probably would help me a lot.

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10705 on: January 11, 2018, 08:42:36 AM »
Thanks all. Glad my capsule nerdiness is helpful to others. Local friends seem to marvel at the usefulness of the app, but (like Mustachianism) very few get into it themselves. Of course they also see my list-making, excel-sheet tendencies and assume it will require that type of mindset. Not really. I take photos of the clothes currently in season while at home, then edit out the background and make 'looks' and add to calendar while on my short bus commute. A month worth of clothing decision making is done for me on just 2 x 20 minute bus trips. The rest of the month I read books or just stare out the window on the bus.  A few times per year when I get 'new' stuff I take pictures of those few items and everything else just stays on the app accumulating wears. (I made a 'new to shuffle' category for new items so they can be quickly mixed with everything else using the random generator. If the new items are tops, I shuffle them with everything but tops to get fast ideas. Then I move them into the correct clothing category once I've made enough looks)

Today's money saving: staying inside on my day off to catch up on projects and chores instead of shopping errands like last week. I'm making rice and beans with the leftover mushroom gravy from tourtiere dinner. That will be lunch today and tomorrow back at work.

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10706 on: January 11, 2018, 10:31:41 AM »
Hello All,

I've been away from here over the festive period, so a summary:

- Used vouchers and a workplace discount scheme to get a toaster for 30% less than the sale price.
- Bought a bag of porridge oats instead of the pre-packaged microwave ones.
- Bought bags of individual dried fruits and seeds to make a mix for the porridge.  I now have enough to last the winter for way less     than the pre-packaged ones.
- Tried using 1/2 a cap of fabric softener in the laundry (dried on the airer of course). Worked fine.
- Have taken all meals into work.
- 4 no spend days so far this year

And the big one - Since I quit smoking in November, I've been transferring the money I would have spent every day into savings.  Today I broke the 1000 barrier.

Roadrunner53

• Stubble
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10707 on: January 11, 2018, 11:02:01 AM »
Mrs. Hen,

Of all the money saving things you did I applaud putting away the cig money in the bank! Congrats are in order of 1. giving up the cigs and 2. saving the moola! What does that equal in US money?

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10708 on: January 11, 2018, 11:46:02 AM »
Hi Roadrunner53,

About $1350 at todays rates

Mrs Hen

Roadrunner53

• Stubble
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10709 on: January 11, 2018, 12:08:47 PM »
Two thumbs up Mrs. Hen! Good work! Keep it up!

My Mom was a big, big cig smoker and it was horrible. She got sick a lot and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia many times. I begged her, I cried, I stomped my feet but she wouldn't give it up. It was a terrible addiction. She smoked Pall Mall, no filter. Finally, she asked for the Patch and she stopped and for her to give it up, it was totally shocking! She had something like 10 cartons of cigs she had hidden away...just in case and like a security blanket. She never touched them and after she passed, I found them while cleaning out her house. She was so addicted to them like a heroin addict. One of my girlfriends was a big cig smoker, nothing like Mom, but she knew how addicted my Mom was so she put her feet to the fire and gave it up too. She told me my Mom was her hero and if she could do it my friend said she could do it. I urge anyone reading this and smokes give it up and do what Mrs. Hen is doing!

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10710 on: January 11, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »
Nice job, Mrs. Hen!  Great work.  :)

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10711 on: January 11, 2018, 01:13:56 PM »
Entered a contest last week for a concert I wanted to attend. Just found out I won two tickets! They would have cost $28 apiece, so I saved that much, plus I get to treat a friend.

I just won another concert ticket for a different night of the same festival. This one would have been $57.75 retail price.

Despite what certain presidents have suggested, I am not yet tired of winning :-)
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #10712 on: January 11, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
-I was so happy with yesterday's dinner. We didn't have enough leftovers for a full meal for everyone. So, I turned the taco meat into cheesey taco quesadillas for the kids. My husband had tortellini from an open package in the fridge, plus the remains of a takeout chicken from Saturday date night. I finished off the leftover kebabs & most of the rice. The kids surprised me with how much they ate, so I found a hot dog in the fridge & they split that. (We also had a big salad with dinner, and fruit for dessert, so it wasn't quite the nutritional wasteland it might sound like). Basically, used up all of the fridge leftovers, save for a small amount of rice, and some yogurt sauce. Winning! I love it when you can use up all of the bits & bobs that are never quite enough for a meal.

-However, date night on Saturday means I didn't do my standard weekend cooking (typically only cook full meals on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, and then we eat leftovers during the work week). So, tonight will be something from the freezer.

-Other than that, bumped up my monthly mortgage payment by $10/month (I know, I'm not supposed to pay off the mortgage early), but I got all excited about considering the possibilities.

-Sold & mailed 4 items on eBay. Cleared around $5, so huge money. ;-)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10713 on: January 11, 2018, 01:58:06 PM »
-I was so happy with yesterday's dinner. We didn't have enough leftovers for a full meal for everyone. So, I turned the taco meat into cheesey taco quesadillas for the kids. My husband had tortellini from an open package in the fridge, plus the remains of a takeout chicken from Saturday date night. I finished off the leftover kebabs & most of the rice. The kids surprised me with how much they ate, so I found a hot dog in the fridge & they split that. (We also had a big salad with dinner, and fruit for dessert, so it wasn't quite the nutritional wasteland it might sound like). Basically, used up all of the fridge leftovers, save for a small amount of rice, and some yogurt sauce. Winning! I love it when you can use up all of the bits & bobs that are never quite enough for a meal.

-However, date night on Saturday means I didn't do my standard weekend cooking (typically only cook full meals on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, and then we eat leftovers during the work week). So, tonight will be something from the freezer.

-Other than that, bumped up my monthly mortgage payment by $10/month (I know, I'm not supposed to pay off the mortgage early), but I got all excited about considering the possibilities.

I like you.

This post is both awesome and funny.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #10714 on: January 11, 2018, 02:33:41 PM »
- I was successful yesterday in getting the $25 refund at the post office. Now I need to find some time to get to the bank and deposit it. Cash has a tendency to go missing around here...

- I saved myself $105 by closely reading the reviews on a floor lamp I saw online and then not buying it.

- Registered a recent purchase and checked on the statuses of past price rewinds. Should be getting $60 back from furniture purchases at the end of the month.

- Talked my husband out of ordering DVR service for a savings of $10/month. We had it at our old place, but cable there was included in the rent so $10 so we could record our shows are reasonable. Now to convince him we don't need cable AND netflix AND amazon video. Especially since he wanted to look into moviepass which would be $20/month for us. ( I'm doing my best here.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #10715 on: January 11, 2018, 04:37:05 PM »

I like you.

This post is both awesome and funny.

This post is one of the highlights of my day. LOVE all of the awesome people & their continuous ideas that inspire me.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10716 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:25 PM »
Committed to staying home all day today.  So far I've painted, done laundry, dishes, walked the dogs twice, and changed the bed sheets.  I have plans yet to paint some more, finish more laundry, clean the bathroom and vacuum the apartment.  I also have a couple mending projects I'm hoping to finish.  No gas used or money spent for me today!

Last night I made 35.00 off of two sales of unused items around the apartment.  I'm down to only a few small items that are currently listed and the items at the house that are being used for staging or care of the yard currently.  I've cleaned out the rest of the stock to sell...which is motivating me to find some other side hustle options for the next couple of months.  We downsized from 1700 square feet into 650...so we have sold thousands of dollars worth of items so far...

On our walks I found 13 cents.

I reused a cellophane bag from a christmas gift basket in the bathroom trash can.

I'm wearing warm clothes, slippers and running the space heater to avoid running the main furnace.

Breakfast was coffee with milk and honey.  Lunch was a single baking potato, bought on sale, cubed and fried in olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper.  Serve with ketchup and its better than a plate full of fries... declicious, cheap, and whole food based too.

Used leftover rice and some chicken stock to bribe my pup into eating some food this morning (current meds are stealing her appetite -- just a couple more days on them!)

Hoping to continue my productiveness into tonight and tomorrow :)

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10717 on: January 12, 2018, 12:22:11 PM »
I haven't bought lunch at work all year! I made one mammoth pan of baked ziti (aka pasta bake) Sunday, and got four lunches and three dinners out of it so far. There's at least two lunches worth of it in the freezer for next week. Last night I made tuna noodle casserole for dinner with planned leftovers for lunch today and a lunch for next week in the freezer. I'm hoping I can keep this up but maybe eventually find some different things to make.

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10718 on: January 12, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »
Well, it really didn't feel like saving money when the total came up in the supermarket today, BUT...

- I now have enough (discounted) porridge oats to last the rest of the winter.
- I won't have to buy toilet paper for a long time - stocked up while its on offer.
- freezer is stocked with meat from offers.
- huge pot of minestrone soup has been made from reduced veggies.
- I'll be batch baking tomorrow with the rest, which should get me at least 12 more meals in the freezer.

I don't plan on spending any more this month apart from milk and maybe some more fresh veg, so plenty of no spend days to come.

Thanks for all the nice comments and continued inspiration. Holding myself "accountable" to this thread is really keeping me on track.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10719 on: January 12, 2018, 04:08:15 PM »
Yesterday: made a double batch of chicken teriyaki in the slow cooker and a big batch of vegan chilli on the stove top. Mr Happier has an insane month coming up at work, so the more we can eat from the freezer, the less we will resort to takeaway.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10720 on: January 12, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »
Nice job, Mrs. Hen!  Great work.  :)

Yes, nice work, Mrs Hen!

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10721 on: January 12, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »
I took kid to the library after work/daycare as a way of apologizing for an emotional outburst that I made this morning. We got 5 movies to watch over the long weekend.

Came home after an hour & used frozen ground beef, tomatoes canned from our garden & garlic in the fridge to make spaghetti sauce in the instant pot for dinner. Ate sauce over basmati brown rice made with turkey stock.

Playing with son & watching Jack & the Cuckoo clock heart from the library this evening. Great Friday night after a long work week!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #10722 on: January 12, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »
-Breakfast & lunch from the freezer (worked from home, no free work food)
-Sold 2 items on eBay for $40! If you'd asked me a few months ago if we had anything left to sell on eBay, you'd have gotten a firm "no". And yet, there are so many things!
-Used a Redbox code I saw on slickdeals for a free movie rental for tonight. The kids chose ("Captain Underpants" - oh boy), but we are having movie night, with air popped popcorn. Doesn't get more frugal than that.
-Dinner was a freezer dish for myself & the husband. Kids made themselves wraps for dinner, out of fridge/freezer ingredients.
-Discovered that the ski area we're planning on going to in February has free passes for 5th graders! They only give out a limited number, but I happen to have a 5th grader, so I registered. That will save $40 off of the cost of our trip. The trip has already been scaled down from a three day trip to Tahoe, so excited to find another way to save on the day trip. Sidenote - there's still not enough snow at this ski area. :-( Fingers crossed it will snow before ski break in February.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10723 on: January 12, 2018, 09:08:38 PM »
We got a warm spell here, so I walked the long scenic bird-filled route to the supermarket and stocked up on sale-price bacon and a pork shoulder roast. Tempted by some marked down bowls but realized I don't need them.

Working my way through the cheap grocery items I brought back from Toronto after Christmas (what, doesn't everyone transport lard across provincial boundaries?).

Went to work late and came home regular time, so I needed only snacks at work, rather than a full meal.

Didn't turn the heat on for the day until I got home from work.

"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10724 on: January 13, 2018, 02:13:12 AM »
Yesterday, shopped at Aldi right after work instead of the expensive grocery store in my own town. Trying to make a new habit out of this. Asked for the receipt to get my pricebook up to date.
This week: gave away a bunch of buttons, some clothes and bodylotion, and got back a mirror and an excellent desk chair. Not a penny exchanged hands.
Yay, out of debt... now, GROW!
My current journal

PDM

• Stubble
« Reply #10725 on: January 13, 2018, 02:56:46 AM »
Use a shopper docket to get 2 for 1 coffees and successful talked the wife out of ordering a $17.90 breakfast dish (which would have resulted in me also ordering breakfast and spending $45 total). Had a lovely homemade avocado on toast with scrambled eggs.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Other/Fluid
« Reply #10726 on: January 13, 2018, 03:00:23 AM »
Found cheap cat crystals for kitty litter at the Reject Shop. $9 for a 10 litre bag. So we got 3 bags.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10727 on: January 13, 2018, 07:46:23 AM »
Stitched a backpack strap tight that was starting to separate.  It wasn't as hard as I thought, although I did break a needle in the process.

Stitched a patch onto the inside of a bed sheet to prevent further tearing. 

Got up and made french toast from a loaf of french bread out of the freezer instead of going out for waffles.  DH had been in the habit of convincing me approximately once a month to go out on Saturday morning, meaning 20ish dollars for the two of us to eat waffles and drink someone else's coffee.  I have used the same loaf of 0.78 cent french bread from the freezer for 3 weeks now, and I think I have one more week out of it.  I just thaw the night before on the counter, slice off 6 slices and pop it back into the freezer for the next time.  A couple of eggs, vanilla, splash of milk and real maple syrup makes for a way, way better (and cheaper!) breakfast IMHO.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #10728 on: January 13, 2018, 11:19:17 AM »
The insoles in my new boots felt weird, so I was going to buy new insoles.  Then I remembered that I had a pair of running shoes in the To Donate box; pulled them out and swapped the insoles.  Now my new boots are perfect, and who knows, maybe the other insoles will be better for whoever ends up with the running shoes.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #10729 on: January 13, 2018, 02:14:26 PM »
Went out for dinner and a movie with my husband and made $5.

Our local cinema had a special of $100 for a book of 10 tickets. I bought one. Use 2 for the movie $22.70. (Stupid online booking fee.)

Brought popcorn from home. About 60c. Bought a drink and choccies from the supermarket instead of the cinema. $5.90.

Walked to the restaurant I had been gifted a voucher for. It's the most expensive restaurant in the area so we rarely go there. The voucher was for $250 so we ordered things we wouldn't normally get like bread, desserts and cocktails. The total came to $200. They gave us the balance in cash.

Taxi home cost $15. (FIL gave us a lift there and free babysitting for the night)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #10730 on: January 13, 2018, 03:50:11 PM »
-Found super cheap cauliflower & stocked up. Anything less than $3/head here is great in the winter.

-Used a gift card to buy a whole chicken. Roasting my first ever chicken tonight! Tried my first turkey breast over Thanksgiving, and was planning to get another one, but the store didn't have the turkey & the whole chickens were $.88/lb. I've never bought one, so assuming this is a good/decent price? I will roast over veggies, and then use the leftover chicken for dinner tomorrow, and the veggies/chicken in a soup on Monday.

-Made pistachio/cashew butter out of stale nuts that had been sitting in the pantry for too long. I haven't tried it yet, but the husband says it's incredible.

-Made cranberry muffins for quick breakfast options

Roadrunner53

• Stubble
« Reply #10731 on: January 13, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »
Buy oven roaster chickens like 6-8lbs or more and have the butcher butterfly them. Place on a rack on a flat baking pan sprinkle spices and bake in oven. Put onion and celery under rack.  Look up Spatchcock chicken on internet for instructions. Comes out perfect every time and delicious. If you can and the chickens are on sale, hoard up on them. Freeze them flat in plastic and foil. Hub and I have made them a ton of times and they are AWESOME!

OH, and tell the butcher you want the backbone, neck and innards like heart, liver and gizzards. You can make broth with the bones and if you don't want to eat the innards, feed them to your cat or dog. If you don't ask the butcher for this stuff, they will keep it. No idea if they sell it or chuck it but you are paying for it!

88 cents a lb is a GREAT price!

Brother Esau

• Stubble
« Reply #10732 on: January 13, 2018, 04:54:44 PM »
It was raining here yesterday and when I pulled out the umbrella from the back of my car I had a flashback from when I first obtained the umbrella....a golf tournament in 1986. Didn't save money TODAY but I may NEVER buy another umbrella ever again.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10733 on: January 13, 2018, 05:30:23 PM »
We got a warm spell here, so I walked the long scenic bird-filled route to the supermarket and stocked up on sale-price bacon and a pork shoulder roast. Tempted by some marked down bowls but realized I don't need them.

Working my way through the cheap grocery items I brought back from Toronto after Christmas (what, doesn't everyone transport lard across provincial boundaries?).

You got better weather than we did - it was 10, but pouring.  Now we have many cm of snow and it is super cold.

Around here it is not lard, it is booze - we bring stuff back from the SAQ, and the Quebeckers hit up the LCBO.  ;-)  What kind of lard?  All I ever see in the stores is Tenderflake, and it is ubiquitous.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10734 on: January 13, 2018, 06:13:06 PM »
Buy oven roaster chickens like 6-8lbs or more and have the butcher butterfly them. Place on a rack on a flat baking pan sprinkle spices and bake in oven. Put onion and celery under rack.  Look up Spatchcock chicken on internet for instructions. Comes out perfect every time and delicious. If you can and the chickens are on sale, hoard up on them. Freeze them flat in plastic and foil. Hub and I have made them a ton of times and they are AWESOME!

OH, and tell the butcher you want the backbone, neck and innards like heart, liver and gizzards. You can make broth with the bones and if you don't want to eat the innards, feed them to your cat or dog. If you don't ask the butcher for this stuff, they will keep it. No idea if they sell it or chuck it but you are paying for it!

Chicken soup sounds amazing right now. Unfortunately I came down with what I believe is influenza. But I guess I'm saving money by having contracted it over the long weekend, so hopefully no lost work.

Off the Wheel

• Stubble
« Reply #10735 on: January 13, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »
Wanted to meet up with friends, went for a walk with the doggies instead of going out.

Lunch and dinner from the fridge and pantry.

Craving a cozy night in, so we're renting Goonies on Google Play for $3.99. (I suppose pirating would be cheaper, but I feel strongly about paying for the entertainment we consume. Still way cheaper than going out to the movies! Also, the no people is a huge bonus. :D)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #10736 on: January 13, 2018, 08:29:05 PM »

Chicken was delish, but the veggies I had under got over cooked/started to burn. I'll have to tweak the cooking time. I did 425 for 90 minutes. I may go back for a couple of other chickens - I have room & would like to roast the other two over the weekend while I have some extra time.

SimpleCycle

• Bristles
« Reply #10737 on: January 13, 2018, 09:43:04 PM »
Took a friend up on her offer to babysit and went out to dinner with a friend.  Restaurant owners are clients of hers so dinner was free, we just took care of tip.

Took public transportation to the restaurant, saving $5-$10 compared to an Uber.

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #10738 on: January 13, 2018, 10:08:24 PM »

My goal this year is to bring in money each month through a side hustle. For January, I took pics and posted a few things I had to sell on Gumtree/local sales sites. Have been putting it off as I hate the hassle. Sold something straightaway for $15, cash in hand!
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

Roadrunner53

• Stubble
« Reply #10739 on: January 14, 2018, 05:48:33 AM »

Chicken was delish, but the veggies I had under got over cooked/started to burn. I'll have to tweak the cooking time. I did 425 for 90 minutes. I may go back for a couple of other chickens - I have room & would like to roast the other two over the weekend while I have some extra time.

As I recall, we cook our Spatchcock chicken 450 degrees for 80 minutes exactly and it comes out perfect every time. The only veggies we cook are celery and onion under the chicken which is really only for flavoring it during the cooking process. My Hub puts a coffee/herb rub on the exterior on the chicken too. He may put some olive oil on the skin to hold the herbs/rub on. Seems no matter what size oven roaster we cook, it comes out perfect every time. Sometimes he puts lemon pepper on the skin or Cajun spice. No rules here, even salt and pepper! If the chicken is very small, this temp and time might not work. We usually buy around 8 lb chickens. By the time you debone it you don't end up with tons of meat.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #10740 on: January 14, 2018, 07:57:30 AM »
@Roadrunner53 - thanks for the tips! I followed the Ina Garten recipe, and it had more roasted veggies. I think my oven cooks a little hot, so I'll try for a slightly lower cooking time, and chop the veggies bigger to reduce the burn factor. (The ones that were almost burned were the smaller pieces.)

Off the Wheel

• Stubble
« Reply #10741 on: January 14, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »
I reviewed my bank accounts, and shifted money around to hit the minimums ($4000 and $2000) to waive the monthly bank fees ($15.95 and $3.95!)

(Good for now, though I will need to do some more digging because the only reason I had that much in a savings account was because I'm anticipating a big tax bill... normally I would have invested that cash. Not entirely sold on the emergency fund concept while I'm a DINK and have easy access to short term/no interest loans and my emergency fund could be making me money in non-taxable accounts.)

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #10742 on: January 14, 2018, 01:35:02 PM »
Used vouchers gifted to me for a store I rarely shop at because it's stupidly expensive. End of year stocktake sales = 40% off sheets. So I replaced my sheets that had literally disintegrated in parts with fancy new ones for free and I still have vouchers left.

I needed to replace the kids school lunchboxes and drink bottles. Local supermarket had them on sale. Drink bottles were half price and lunch boxes 30% off. I had to buy them regardless as school goes back in a week so the discount makes me happy.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #10743 on: January 14, 2018, 01:47:15 PM »
Did lots of cooking/baking today:

-Turned yesterday's roasted chicken bones into lots of broth for the freezer. Enough broth that I had to play freezer Jenga to get everything stored
-Made a loaf of homemade bread for sandwiches
-Used more cranberries in a loaf of cranberry orange bread. I juiced a few mandarins, and didn't have enough orange juice, and the recipe was too dry to properly mix. Subbed pomegranate juice, which we already had in the fridge. Bread is delish, and not very sweet, which my husband will love.
-Made everyone breakfast & lunch at home, and will be prepping dinner once I get home from soccer. Will use part of the roasted chicken in my favorite dishes - chicken fiesta rice skillet, or something like that. Will make homemade guac to go with it.

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10744 on: January 14, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »
- Made healthy breakfast muffins from oatmeal, peanut butter and banana. The banana I used was overripe, so if I hadn't used it today, tomorrow it would have gone to waste. I have 12 breakfast muffins, which is enough for the whole week.
- Made a large batch of pasta sauce from things I already had in the pantry. I ate a big portion at 5.30 and I'm still full at 10 pm.
- Sent s/o off to work an evening shift with sauerkraut & mashed potato leftovers from yesterday.
- He's working tomorrow night as well, I'll eat the leftover pasta and he will eat leftovers from the freezer.
- Worked on a scrap quilt tonight while watching documentaries on youtube.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10745 on: January 14, 2018, 02:50:28 PM »
I need chicken breasts for tonight's dinner, but only had a whole chicken in the freezer. I decided to thaw that and try cutting it into parts rather than buying chicken breasts, which was easier than I expected! I put the breasts in the crockpot with the rest of dinner, cooked the leg quarters separately to shred and freeze, and used the carcass to make stock.

I started parking my car in the garage again to avoid needing to start it early to warm up on particularly cold days. It's very nice to be able to get directly into the car and not need gloves!

The whole family has started eating oats for breakfast most mornings as a low-cost breakfast option. My toddler son eats an alarming amount of food for his size, so even homemade yogurt and granola was starting to add up.

I started our tax return in TurboTax, and elected to reenter all our personal information rather than pay $30 for the privilege of saving less than 10 minutes by importing it from last year's return.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:52:42 PM by frooglepoodle »
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10746 on: January 14, 2018, 03:50:14 PM »
Sun at last, so hung two loads of laundry out. Will be raining the rest of the week, so needed to seize the moment.

Organized self-harvested seeds for next year's flowers and veggies.

Rescued a sad houseplant from freecycle from imminent demise. Let's see if I can conjure it back to its full glory.
Yay, out of debt... now, GROW!
My current journal

Hula Hoop

• Stubble
« Reply #10747 on: January 14, 2018, 04:10:31 PM »
Made banana bread with the kids with some black bananas. 

Went to the food markets yesterday just as they were closing at 5 pm and bought fish, veggies and fruit for cheap.  Froze the fish.

Met a friend with kids the same ages as mine at the park so that the kids could play and we could chat rather than going for a drink or a meal.

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10748 on: January 14, 2018, 04:14:55 PM »
DH has a favorite flannel shirt which has developed a hole after many years.  Online today I saw that this same flannel shirt was on sale, and I almost bought him a replacement shirt.  At the last moment I decided to try to patch his old shirt instead.  I had to go out today anyway, so I stopped by the fabric store.  In their scrap bin I found a very close match for the shirt pattern.  It was a small scrap and cost me only $0.70. Score!  Now we'll see how the repair looks.  I'm not very good at sewing . . . But I figure it's worth a try.

Catbert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10749 on: January 14, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »
Sold two unwanted Christmas gifts on Nextdoor.com:  a citrus juicer ($15) and a Echo Dot ($20). 

I was particularly happy with the Echo Dot sale.  A woman bought it for her autistic son.  She said he used one over the holidays at a relative's home.  It got him to speak and work on his diction/pronunciation so that it would play his favorite music.